4.9

1. Nov 12, 2014
    I highly disagree with the other ratings here. This game reminds me a LOT of Dragon's Dogma, with a simpler(is it?) combo system.

That being said it's not the BEST game I've played, but I enjoyed the combos, and the demon mode, and the cross bow was fun.

This was game was def a good buy on sale, and I enjoyed it :)
  2. Sep 5, 2012
    Certainly not the best game there is, but still a bit under-rated. Graphically unimpressive with a boring plotline. But if you can find this game on a discount (which is easy considering its reviews) and you have a friend to play it with, it's certainly worth picking up if you don't mind the serious lack of difficulty, and you can appreciate Esteban for his comedic, yet stereotypic, value. It's a fun game, but I would suggest something among the lines of Demon's Souls, (or Dark Souls) or Dragon's Dogma instead. Expand
  3. Sep 14, 2014
    This game is pretty tough to get along with. Almost everything about it needs a bit more fine tuning. The storyline, the character animation, the voice acting and just the overall quality of gameplay were quite lackluster. Despite this I've tried my best to appreciate the good qualities and it could be what you need if you are just looking for a bit of mindless sword fighting.

The
    storyline is far from captivating even though it tries to capture struggle and redemption. You play as Denz de Bayle who teams up with a Spaniard named Esteban Noviembre in joining the Forth Crusade. Denz believes that joining the crusade will allow him to track down his father who never returned from Jerusalem during the previous crusade. Denz is heavily motivated to find his father because much of their family's belongings had been seized by Denz's uncle and Denz's father is the only who who can make things right again. During the search both Denz and Esteban are cursed and marked for Death so they try to find a way to rid themselves of this haunting.

I must respect the writers for the effort that they put into such a storyline but I just can't feel very interested in how it all plays out in the game. This is where I feel like there is wasted potential. The concept of the storyline could have been fine if everything played out in a more dynamic and interesting way. You may find yourself skipping over cut scenes for this reason.

The combat system definitely tries it's best to be dynamic but fighting can still progress in a slow and crude manner. The foremost form of fighting is just straight up sword fighting but you can also activated a "cursed-mode" where you harness the power of the curse to increase your strength and cast fire attacks. You are able us a variety of melee weapons ranging from maces and axes to swords and scythes. You have the option of using a bow, crossbow or the cursed-mode fire crossbow when you need to use ranged attacks. This may sound interesting at first but it's where there seems to be a bit more wasted potential. If the combat mechanics were tweaked to be more fluid then it could have added a lot more value to the weapons and abilities.

This game supports both online and split-screen co-op. Good luck finding anybody who's playing online however, and unfortunately co-op may not even add a whole lot of value if you find the game to be unplayable in general. Co-op is available throughout the game and you are usually able to fight along with your friend but there are some cases where the characters must split-up and be on their own for a while.

Again with more wasted potential. After looking at the story, the combat system and the co-op features it seems like this game really tried to have a lot of good ideas to create this epic adventure that you can share with a friend, but the overall tone of how this game is executed is very dry and you probably are not gonna find yourself on the edge of your seat from the action. Despite my complaints I still have a sense of respect for this game. It's just looks and feels very low budget which can be hard to get over at times.
  4. Dec 28, 2011
    This game is filled with good intentions. But, as we say in my country: "hell is filled with good intentions". And this is, literally, the case here. The Cursed Crusade is a bad game with occasional fun. It's badly programmed, the art design is poor, the gameplay is clunky as hell and it feels, looks and plays like a rushed, lazy, dirty, unfinished product that I would be ashamed of putting my name on. It screams "low budget" from start to finish. That being said, it is not a broken game, which means you can have some fun with it if you have NOTHING else to play. This is a cursed game. Cursed to be forever on the 10 dollar bin shelves, until the stores decide to give it for free. In my honest opinion, they should just recall this game. Expand
  5. Dec 9, 2011
    oh boy I knew I had to review this at some point. Well, here we go! Ah yes the Cursed Crusade, it seems more like it should be called the cursed game. but before we get into what is so bad about this game, let's talk about the good aspects of the game. Story: I'm not going to waste words telling you the story. All I am going to tell you about the story, is that it's the cross between a history lesson and Dante's Inferno. Not really much else I need to say about it.

Gameplay:

I am going to talk about the best part of the game(combat) the combat system itself is pretty basic. First let's talk about the shooter sections.

You will sometimes use a crossbow to kill enemies from a distance like a third person shooter. And like almost any third-person shooter, you can hide behind cover. Sad thing is that it will take about 2-3 hits to kill someone, which is slowed down because you're using a crossbow.

The combat system mainly contains a mix of three-hit combos with different weapons and weapon styles. When the enemy is just about finished off you can use a finishing move that is acquainted with your current weapon style. The coolest thing about the weapons you use in the game, is the fact that if you use them too frequently, the weapons will break. This would be annoying at times, but I just finished talking about everything good.

DESIGN:

Oh boy. Where to begin.

There is very little challenge here. The reason for this is not the game's controls or the way it plays, it's that the A.I is f*cking retarded. I'm serious. Most of the enemies will just stand motionless waiting for you to hit them saying (to quote one of the worst Family Guy episodes) "Wake up. We're fighting!" Your AI partner is actually smarter than your enemy, though sometimes share the same stupidity, but not as often. The bosses that you encounter are smarter than the common enemy of course, but still usually easy because of your AI partner who can revive you (who of which you must also revive.)

There is also the fact that this is the second ugliest game I have seen this year.(Yes, it is true that graphics don't make the game, but the game should be appealing to look at anyway, especially if the game itself isn't good.) And if you want a medieval gorefest, you're not going to find this game enjoyable.

Conclusion:

The game is basically something that could have been better.(much like another game I will eventually get to.) The game is rushed, broken, and unfinished making it seem like the companies cared more about the money than the consumers paying for it.(this has been done many times before)

What should you do if you want the game: Pass!
  6. Oct 3, 2012
    No no no, they could had made this game so much more that what it is!
    There is so many annoying aspect of the game as the weapons break and the 10 000 combat moves which you never use.. you end up pressing 3 buttons while the finishing moves is about 5-6 buttons. I tried to swallow the game but its huge mistakes makes me choke instead.
    Oh almost forgot the good things about the game,
    interesting at first but then.. nah Expand

1. Dec 1, 2011
    A real dog of a historical slasher. [Christmas 2011, p.107]
  2. Even for a budget title the combat system is nothing short of a clunky mess, with slow animations and unsatisfying combos. [Holiday 2011, p.83]
  3. Nov 18, 2011
    Not the worst game ever made, just doing a very good job of mimicking it on first impressions. [Issue#211, p.96]