7.9

1. Nov 14, 2014
    This is a great game that sadly could not win me over completely. On the good side as always the game world is huge (= tons of exploration), the graphic and soundtrack are really good and the story and side quest are also well done. On the negative side the character faces look really strange and sometimes ugly in comparison with other games, the talking / interaction system is random,This is a great game that sadly could not win me over completely. On the good side as always the game world is huge (= tons of exploration), the graphic and soundtrack are really good and the story and side quest are also well done. On the negative side the character faces look really strange and sometimes ugly in comparison with other games, the talking / interaction system is random, your hero is not the savior / main hero of the game like in Morrowind and Skyrim and my heaviest complaint is that the game punishes you for leveling up. Your character / avatar can become weaker compared to your enemies when you gain levels. Overall Morrowind and Skyrim are the superior games. Expand
  2. Mar 27, 2014
    This is one of the best RPGs out there, let's get that out of the way. It's like Fallout but with a medieval fantasy setting. If you're a fan of exploration, and you've got a strong curiosity, this is going to be an unforgettable experience. If you've played Skyrim, you already know how much detail is put into the world. The character customization is very similar to traditional RPGs, butThis is one of the best RPGs out there, let's get that out of the way. It's like Fallout but with a medieval fantasy setting. If you're a fan of exploration, and you've got a strong curiosity, this is going to be an unforgettable experience. If you've played Skyrim, you already know how much detail is put into the world. The character customization is very similar to traditional RPGs, but the character development system allows you to make him unique from anything else.

There are some problems, mainly the level scaling system, which is utter garbage, and has the potential to ruin your experience. The mechanics are quite complex, so if you're new to RPGs, this might not be the right game for you. And you can really see that the game hasn't aged well just by looking at the visuals.
  3. Feb 27, 2014
    This is what happens when people lose the ability to expect quality for what they purchase. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion happens to be an absolute mess...a very glitched and bugged mess. No doubt there is fun to be found within this game, though many can find entertainment in watching staged wrestling, so the argument goes back to quality. There is a lot to do in The Elder Scrolls IV:This is what happens when people lose the ability to expect quality for what they purchase. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion happens to be an absolute mess...a very glitched and bugged mess. No doubt there is fun to be found within this game, though many can find entertainment in watching staged wrestling, so the argument goes back to quality. There is a lot to do in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, though it's mostly repetitive fetch quests. Very simple, though not a bad thing...The Elder Scrolls series is the R.P.G. series for the simplistic player or the casual gamer. Expand
  4. Feb 20, 2014
    This game is very fun for a lot of reasons, but I'll name just a few: First, the combat OBVIOUSLY had quite a bit of work put into it, unlike another game *ahem* skyrim *ahem*, anyways, as you level up your skills in swords, maces and giant 90 pound warhammers (literally) you can perform up to 10 different power attacks, the first 5 of which just deal an extra bit of damage, but as youThis game is very fun for a lot of reasons, but I'll name just a few: First, the combat OBVIOUSLY had quite a bit of work put into it, unlike another game *ahem* skyrim *ahem*, anyways, as you level up your skills in swords, maces and giant 90 pound warhammers (literally) you can perform up to 10 different power attacks, the first 5 of which just deal an extra bit of damage, but as you work up into the master skill, you can knock over, or even paralyze others to give yourself an advantage in combat.
    Secondly, The people are interesting and have a personality (yes it's sometimes inconsistent when you click rumors they speak like normal people which ruins some of the crazy personalities of some people, and aside from that it is pretty nice to see people talk to each other and even travel from city to city.
    It isn't perfect, especially compared to the PC and Xbox 360, you can't get a lot of the DLC, some of the quests are buggy as sh*t, especially being cured of vampirism. I won't spoil what happens though. anyways, other than that, I really like it
  5. Feb 8, 2014
    Ah ah ... I ve just killed this big boss and I am going to open the chest that He was defending. The chest contains a wonderful magic sword that I will immediately equip. I should feel stronger but I don't ... Because the entire world levels up automatically !!! From the beginning you can go anywhere, you can beat anyone ! Playing good or clever is not rewarding.

Graphics are stunning.

Graphics are stunning. Music is nice. The management of your equipment and spells is painful. Extremely painful. Magic offers destruction spells based on fire, ice or shock. I played the entire game using fire balls. I would expect them to be inefficient against specific monster classes ... Nope they work against all enemies. Alchemy is boring like hell.

I loved Morrowind because it was rewarding. I had to be smart, I had to find the best armor and I had to level up in order to be able to beat this big monster barring the entry of this big castle that I wanted to explore since weeks. I am so disappointed by Oblivion. It could have been such a wonderful game if the editor' strategy was not to make it easy and accessible for everyone.
  6. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 7 out of 10, Graphics: 7 out of 10, Fun: 7 out of 10, Controls: 5 out of 10, Difficulty: 8 out of 10, Length: 10 out of 10, Re-play: 5 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10
  7. Dec 11, 2013
    I played this game for hours, days, weeks and months. But I never got anywhere. And seeing as there is no compelling storyline here to keep you going, I just stopped. I never got past the first oblivion gate (I didn't even know there would be more then one if it wasn't for friends telling me). So I don't get the appeal of this game, I have no idea how to play it. I never had the feeling myI played this game for hours, days, weeks and months. But I never got anywhere. And seeing as there is no compelling storyline here to keep you going, I just stopped. I never got past the first oblivion gate (I didn't even know there would be more then one if it wasn't for friends telling me). So I don't get the appeal of this game, I have no idea how to play it. I never had the feeling my character was getting stronger.
    Together with LittleBigPlanet this is the worst game of this generation I've played.
  8. Aug 17, 2013
    This game always loomed around the video store unnoticed, until I picked it up one day by chance. I never looked back since then, it is one of my all time favorites, and I will always treasure the memories and experiences this game gave me. Absolute 10/10.
  9. Jun 26, 2013
    When I discovered Oblivion in 2007 it instantly became one of my favourite games, and still is today. Oblivion was the first game I had ever played where I had the freedom to go anywhere in the world I wanted to, talk to every NPC and ignore the main quest entirely to wander halfway across the province of Cyrodiil.

On top of the main quest there are several guild questlines to complete

On top of the main quest there are several guild questlines to complete as well. The Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood and the Arena all have long questlines to keep players busy, and some are arguably better than the main quest, although the MQ is quite good as well.

The only downside is that other than Knights of the Nine and the Shivering Isles, the rest of the DLC for Oblivion isn't available for the PS3. Hopefully that'll be fixed one day.
  10. dpc
    Jun 3, 2013
    1st generation graphics? Nothing to do? Whether or not you like the game is your call, but to give it a 0 or 1 is ludicrous. There is simply too much excellence involved in the production of the game to "bomb" it. The music alone should elevate a hater's score to 8. All these years later, Oblivion is still a masterpiece, incredible to play and utterly spectacular to get lost in.
  11. Mar 25, 2013
    This game is not quite Skyrim but it is still very well done, especially for its time. The story is excellent, the graphics are amazing for a 2006 game, and the customization is almost as good as Skyrim, plus there's gambling. If you want other games like Skyrim, it would make sense to stay in the same franchise.
  12. Mar 8, 2013
    Big and beautiful world with an nice OST. I like how the NPC´s have all there own daily routine. The only minus this game has is the battle system, its shallow. Still a defining RPG.
  13. Jan 23, 2013
    A sprawling, epic role-playing game that is as vast as it is dense. You can play this game dozens of times and still find new things to do. The world feels ancient and lived-in and the mythology surrounding the characters and events have a fantasy vibe that doesn't feel like a simple Tolkien rip-off - a rare thing, indeed.

"Oblivion" isn't perfect, though. Some of the character

"Oblivion" isn't perfect, though. Some of the character attributes are utterly useless and the menus are incredibly cumbersome. Also distracting is the voice work. Aside from important characters played by Patrick Stewart, Sean Bean, and Terrence Stamp, who do excellent work, it seems like the same 6 or 7 voice actors play ALL the other roles. Problem is, they don't even bother changing up their deliveries from character to character, and there are literaly hundreds of speaking parts in this thing. The result is that this very imprtant aspect of the game feels cheap.

In all, though, "Oblivion" is a really fun and immersive ride that you can return to for a long time.
  14. Dec 17, 2012
    This game started me with RPG's, it is awesome, I loved open mapped games, ignore the negative votes, This type of games is where you have to find the main missions or misc missions, not for them too come to you! Awesome swords, spells etc, simply best :)
  15. Nov 19, 2012
    Utter **** I'll stick the with Final Fantasy games on the ps1, they piss all over this rubbish. Wandering around with nothing really happening is not my idea of a good time. Awful
  16. Sep 27, 2012
    This game is the benchmark for modern open-world RPGs. The character customisation is deep, there are so many stats and options to toy with, and Cyrodiil is massive. At the time of release, this was just ground-breaking. The amount of land to cover and dungeons to explore is mind-numbing. Every NPC is interactable with a full voice-over, and every house is enterable. The game easily eatsThis game is the benchmark for modern open-world RPGs. The character customisation is deep, there are so many stats and options to toy with, and Cyrodiil is massive. At the time of release, this was just ground-breaking. The amount of land to cover and dungeons to explore is mind-numbing. Every NPC is interactable with a full voice-over, and every house is enterable. The game easily eats up hundreds of hours of time and still holds up as one of the best RPGs today.

Oblivion isn't without its faults though. The voice casting for every character is done by no more than five voice actors and the character models are frankly quite ugly, but the amount of stuff to do outshines these aspects greatly. This game is a classic and I implore you to pick it up now.
  17. Aug 17, 2012
    Personally I think it's superior to Skyrim. It's such a flawless game packed with things to do, and on top of that manages to be utterly charming. It's dark in parts but is full of humour and great moments. The possibilities are endless and it's probably the best game I've ever played.
  18. Aug 16, 2012
    So many GLITCHES!!, I would give this game a 10 if those lazy bastards over at bethesda would have put out a patch to fix it..
    Content wise this is a ground breaking game for consoles, and with so much you can expect some glitches and to some point accept it, but glitches that literally screw the entire game, that's to much, get your **** together bethesda!..
  19. Jul 31, 2012
    Way ahead of its time. This game is huge and brilliant. The story is well crafted and keeps the player interested at all times. The side stories and quests are perhaps even better than the main quest line, as the player feels as if they can make their own stories. The visuals were very good for the time as well. My only complaints would be that some of the areas seem repetitive, and theWay ahead of its time. This game is huge and brilliant. The story is well crafted and keeps the player interested at all times. The side stories and quests are perhaps even better than the main quest line, as the player feels as if they can make their own stories. The visuals were very good for the time as well. My only complaints would be that some of the areas seem repetitive, and the character AI can get a little annoying. However, even with these issues, I still rate this game a 10. Expand
  20. Apr 3, 2012
    I sank more hours into Oblivion than any other game I have ever played. I loved this game. From start to finish and beyond, it was an immeasurable joy to play. The sense of exploration and adventure was second to none. Even though Oblivion is now an old game and it's sequel Skyrim is knocking about, it still holds up really well and is eminently playable. In fact, I'd go as far as to sayI sank more hours into Oblivion than any other game I have ever played. I loved this game. From start to finish and beyond, it was an immeasurable joy to play. The sense of exploration and adventure was second to none. Even though Oblivion is now an old game and it's sequel Skyrim is knocking about, it still holds up really well and is eminently playable. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that despite Skyrim's refinements and graphical prowess, Oblivion still stands proud as it's equal. Expand
  21. Mar 21, 2012
    The same great game from the PC, but with points off because the official add-ons were never released for PS3. I actually prefer the control scheme on PlayStation, but the slicker interface is not worth the loss of FrostCrag Spire and all of my other additional content. I'm not sure what they were thinking releasing them for PC & 360 while skipping over PS3, but the lack of the additionalThe same great game from the PC, but with points off because the official add-ons were never released for PS3. I actually prefer the control scheme on PlayStation, but the slicker interface is not worth the loss of FrostCrag Spire and all of my other additional content. I'm not sure what they were thinking releasing them for PC & 360 while skipping over PS3, but the lack of the additional content does hurt the game for this platform. Expand
  22. Jan 4, 2012
    Oblivion disappointed me. I bought it in 2010 and I was really looking forward to playing it. When I put the disc in my PS3 I was happy, I thought this game was going to be really good. I made my character and I started the story. After I got out of the sewer, I did my first quest, after that I was bored. I got the GOTY edition, so I decided to go over to the strange gate that opened and IOblivion disappointed me. I bought it in 2010 and I was really looking forward to playing it. When I put the disc in my PS3 I was happy, I thought this game was going to be really good. I made my character and I started the story. After I got out of the sewer, I did my first quest, after that I was bored. I got the GOTY edition, so I decided to go over to the strange gate that opened and I started the Shivering Isles expansion. I was still bored. Does this mean that Oblivion was a bad game? No. I just wasn't playing it right. But when I finally realised that It was an open-world RPG I decided to play it as one. So after not playing for months, I started the game and started exploring. And I was still bored. I didn't find it fun exploring the massive open-world and I was never really compelled to do any more exploring. In the end I just gave up on Oblivion and waited for Skyrim, which I was sceptical about after my time with Oblivion, but I bought Skyrim and it was an incredible game. I guess Skyrim was just made better than Oblivion. Or maybe it was something to do with me. I don't know. But Oblivion certainly is a good game. Just not a great game in my opinion. Expand
  23. Dec 30, 2011
    One of the best games ever created. Massive world,massive amount of customization,amazing graphics, beautiful soundtrack and touching story makes Oblivion an experience of lifetime. Oblivion improves everything from Morrowind. Get ready to lose your social life
  24. Dec 19, 2011
    This is what games should aspire to be. Oblivion is a masterpiece when you consider that the game is able to be played by virutually your own imagination. One has to remember that RPG stands for Role Playing Game and this game takes that concept to heart. Want to be a thief, no problem the game allows you to be a thief. Want to be a bad ass Mage, no problem. Want to summon stuff and watchThis is what games should aspire to be. Oblivion is a masterpiece when you consider that the game is able to be played by virutually your own imagination. One has to remember that RPG stands for Role Playing Game and this game takes that concept to heart. Want to be a thief, no problem the game allows you to be a thief. Want to be a bad ass Mage, no problem. Want to summon stuff and watch the chaos, no problem. Just want to walk around and do whatever comes to mind. No problem. This is what i want to stress most about oblivion if you spend some time with the game you can play exactly as you want and there is so much going on within the world (but you have to search to find it). Another thing i want to point out about the game is it has gameplay options that allow you to slide the difficulty anywhere you like at any time. There really has been a limitless ability to allow you to play anyway you prefer and at any difficulty you prefer. The only reason I can find to knock a point off this game despite being so large is that it contains still unfixed glitches and a few weird things (like activating a "night eye" spell with intentions to make you see in the dark- in the light can make you seem to be invisible) -which can break immersion or just tick you off for all the hours you put in. But really this games goes above and beyond providing gamers their monies worth no one should rate this under 8 at worse. Expand
  25. Nov 17, 2011
    I bought the Game of the Year edition. It was great. Herping and derping killing people and demons. Running away from the law with a stolen horse. Then I got turned into a vampire...apparently there's a glitch on the Game of the Year PS3 version that prevents you from turning back human. I couldn't stand all the multi-tasking that came with being a Vampire. You would think after all theseI bought the Game of the Year edition. It was great. Herping and derping killing people and demons. Running away from the law with a stolen horse. Then I got turned into a vampire...apparently there's a glitch on the Game of the Year PS3 version that prevents you from turning back human. I couldn't stand all the multi-tasking that came with being a Vampire. You would think after all these years they would have patched this glitch, but noooo. Quit after I found a demonic artifact for that monk. Expand
  26. Nov 10, 2011
    It's a rare moment, but once in a decade it happens. Once in a decade there comes a game that makes the real world sound dull, sucks you in it's vast, detailed and atmospheric world for hundreds of hours.
    This is THE game from the last decade, a game you don't want to miss for all it's worth.
  27. Oct 31, 2011
    I bought this game because I loved Fallout 3 so much, and it's amazing how similar yet different the games can be. Fallout 3 made me a fan with the storyline, the character development, and the sheer creativity of the post-apocalyptic Washington D.C. So, I thought Oblivion would be equally awesome. And was I ever wrong. Oblivion is the same big environment, free-roam idea, but it hasI bought this game because I loved Fallout 3 so much, and it's amazing how similar yet different the games can be. Fallout 3 made me a fan with the storyline, the character development, and the sheer creativity of the post-apocalyptic Washington D.C. So, I thought Oblivion would be equally awesome. And was I ever wrong. Oblivion is the same big environment, free-roam idea, but it has no heart. It's technically impressive in terms of the sheer massiveness of it all, but there's nothing about it that made me want to see where it would all end. The combat system is clunky and unsatisfying, and if you aren't a fan of medieval times, this won't make a convert. Very disappointing. If they had been able to put a little soul into this huge body of work, it could have been a giant of a game. Expand
  28. Oct 19, 2011
    Probably the best fantasy-world simulation ever made. The size and detail put into the world are jaw-dropping and I personally played over 200 hours without touching the main quest. I cant even put into a full review my thoughts, but I've started new characters countless times and am still playing it 4 years after release.

If you like fantasy, play this game.
  29. Sep 25, 2011
    The elder scrolls series is by far one of the richest and most engrossing franchises around the sheer volume of content in this game is overwhelming I spent a fair few months of my life in this game just developing my own character and exploring a massive new world this is a game to play if you really want a game in which you can just get lost in the environment, the characters, theThe elder scrolls series is by far one of the richest and most engrossing franchises around the sheer volume of content in this game is overwhelming I spent a fair few months of my life in this game just developing my own character and exploring a massive new world this is a game to play if you really want a game in which you can just get lost in the environment, the characters, the enemies and the storyline make this by far the best RPG game out there. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has got very big shoes to fill I have high hopes that it will not just fill those shoes but will set the standard for all RPG games for the future. Long live The Elder Scrolls. Expand
  30. Sep 21, 2011
    Though, despite the huge hype and respect for this game, I find it to be quite terrible. It's just simply not my kind of game. I found the game play to be disturbingly horrible, the graphics are what you would expect to see on a first generation console. I can't say to much for the story line, sense I could not get more then 10 minutes into the game without turning it off in absoluteThough, despite the huge hype and respect for this game, I find it to be quite terrible. It's just simply not my kind of game. I found the game play to be disturbingly horrible, the graphics are what you would expect to see on a first generation console. I can't say to much for the story line, sense I could not get more then 10 minutes into the game without turning it off in absolute sickness. So all around, I don't really have a right to review this game sense I could not even get close to finishing it. I understand that a lot of people love this game, and completely understand those who are wanting to send me bomb threats for my huge hatred towards this game. I just though I should let others know that this games is not worth paying any attention to, and should be forgotten as soon as possible. Except for those who already love the game. Expand
  31. Sep 9, 2011
    TESIV Oblivion is definitely the greatest open-world RPG game out there to date. If you're really into RPGs, this game will likely take over 100 hours of immersive gameplay. There are tons to do in this game outside the main quest, you could join the many guilds (eg. Mage guild, fighter guild etc), be a champion gladiator, a thief/burglar, treasure hunting, randomly punching people in theTESIV Oblivion is definitely the greatest open-world RPG game out there to date. If you're really into RPGs, this game will likely take over 100 hours of immersive gameplay. There are tons to do in this game outside the main quest, you could join the many guilds (eg. Mage guild, fighter guild etc), be a champion gladiator, a thief/burglar, treasure hunting, randomly punching people in the face if you don't like how they look at you, and about a hundred other sidequests. Character customisation is fun, you can choose different races, your speciality, your attire, weapons etc. You'll also be spending a good amount of time exploring the cities, caves, and wilderness across Cyrodiil. The landscape is vast, detailed and beautiful to look at. And on top of all this, if you can't get enough of this game, the Shivering Isle expansion is a must get. Therefore, I suggest to any PS3 gamers to get the Game of the Year Edition because it includes both Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isle expansion in the game for the same price. They're all very good expansions. Anyway, there are some flaws, nothing major but are present nonetheless. Character creation is poor, you can never make a good looking male..... good thing you get to put a helmet on. There are limited character animation, and therefore fights may look less epic. NPCs have no emotions, or at least do not express them on their faces, will feel very awkward during conversations when they are scared but giving you the blank face at the same time. And they will stand very still while the background pauses during conversations. There are also no trophy support for the PS3 version. But all in all, I've got to say despite all these flaws, this game is excellent (keeping in mind what year this game was produced). Therefore, I give Oblivion a 10 out 10! Expand
  32. Sep 6, 2011
    I have owned this game for a number of years now and it continues to blow my mind. The game resembles real life in relation to law and order but is set in a somewhat medieval time filled with weapons and magic . The possibilities are endless. This is a game where the main quest can be put aside and forgotten and you can welcome a huge and vibrant world filled with individual people andI have owned this game for a number of years now and it continues to blow my mind. The game resembles real life in relation to law and order but is set in a somewhat medieval time filled with weapons and magic . The possibilities are endless. This is a game where the main quest can be put aside and forgotten and you can welcome a huge and vibrant world filled with individual people and locations. Not only can you find a quest round every corner but you can shape who you are in terms of skills and abilities and interact with the hundreds of people whether they are merchants or beggars. The landscape is incredibly expansive, ranging from snow capped mountains to sandstone caverns. Yes the graphics are not state of the art but you must remember that it was made in 2007, a time where the quality and complexity of computer graphics and computers for that matter was half of that of the present day. I highly recommend this ingenious game which will guarantee you hundreds of hours of a fulfilling gaming experience. Expand
  33. Aug 14, 2011
    I confess to playing every mission and every side mission and every other damn piece of content I could find. Oblivion was by turns compelling and maddening. The complete game world, gorgeous landscapes, dynamic difficulty matching, seamless side-quest integration, and thorough attention to storyline and script places it head and shoulders above other RPGs in conception and gameplay. AndI confess to playing every mission and every side mission and every other damn piece of content I could find. Oblivion was by turns compelling and maddening. The complete game world, gorgeous landscapes, dynamic difficulty matching, seamless side-quest integration, and thorough attention to storyline and script places it head and shoulders above other RPGs in conception and gameplay. And yet, in execution, some horrible blunders mar the experience: truly awful voice acting, long load times, and an unfortunate tendency to crash at the most immersion-destroying moments. Still, I've played the whole thing, so Oblivion had enough "X-factor" to overcome the glaring defects. Let's hope Skyrim has better QA and voice acting! Expand
  34. Apr 5, 2011
    This must be the best game I have ever played. The graphics, are amazing and there is simply so much to do. There must be over 150 side-quests and the story is interesting but its not very long. 10
  35. Apr 4, 2011
    i love this game and it is in my top 5 best games on the PS3. there is just so much to do and eventualy the story line becomes a bit blurred but that is alright because you natrually avoid it any way since there is so much to do in the way of content. wheather it is doing missions for the dark brotherhood or individual quests there is always something to do and you will never be bored thei love this game and it is in my top 5 best games on the PS3. there is just so much to do and eventualy the story line becomes a bit blurred but that is alright because you natrually avoid it any way since there is so much to do in the way of content. wheather it is doing missions for the dark brotherhood or individual quests there is always something to do and you will never be bored the graphics arent the best but that is because of the sheer size of the world you play in and can easily be forgivin and i can't wait for Skyrim to come out in november Expand
  36. Mar 23, 2011
    I love this game. I didn't play any of the earlier Elder Scrolls games and so Oblivion was my first taste of Tamriel. It's a huge fantasy RPG and I cannot stress enough that if you like this kind of game you will get hours and hours and hours of play for your money as there is just so much you can do and so many places to explore. One of the best things about this for me is if you wantI love this game. I didn't play any of the earlier Elder Scrolls games and so Oblivion was my first taste of Tamriel. It's a huge fantasy RPG and I cannot stress enough that if you like this kind of game you will get hours and hours and hours of play for your money as there is just so much you can do and so many places to explore. One of the best things about this for me is if you want to follow the main story line you can, or if you'd like to do loads of side quests you can or if you just want to wander around and do whatever the heck you like, you can. The world they've created is the best and most realistic to date I've ever seen in a video game with the trees, lakes, fields and landscape wonderful in places. Often during the game I would literally just stop for a while to look at a beautiful sunset as I just simply couldn't ignore it. The music and sound effects are all spot on and really help you to feel immersed in the world you're in and you can get so involved in your travels in Cyrodil that you are reluctant to come back to the real world! I enjoyed both the main story and the various side quests and I loved they way you could buy your own houses and fill them full of treasures you've found in your explorations. The inventory although fairly complex is set up in a way that's easy to use and also checking out your spells and talents and keeping a tab on that is simple enough. The voice acting is also well done and I love the way you can listen in on people chatting as you're passing. I also love how after you have completed certain parts of the game people will actually comment on it when they see you walk by. The only slight flaws with this game I found were a few bugs in places and some of the caves look a bit similar so could have done with a few changes here and there to make them more individual but all the things that are great about this game far, far outweigh the flaws. Overall I give the game 9.8 but seeing as I have to put an even number, I'll say ten. Keep up the good work Bethesda, long may the Elder Scrolls continue. Expand
  37. Mar 15, 2011
    Graphics/Performance(10/10): Oblivion features vast, believable wilderness with good graphics for 2007. The draw distance on some objects can break immersion, but this is necessary as the view distance is at least a couple miles. Unfortunately, due to the above sometimes outdoor performance is less than perfect, but never unplayable. Animations are stiff and uninspired in third personGraphics/Performance(10/10): Oblivion features vast, believable wilderness with good graphics for 2007. The draw distance on some objects can break immersion, but this is necessary as the view distance is at least a couple miles. Unfortunately, due to the above sometimes outdoor performance is less than perfect, but never unplayable. Animations are stiff and uninspired in third person mode. All races share the exact same animations. Loading screens range from seconds to half a minute.

Singleplayer(10/10): Great length. You can literally play for days without even touching the main story line after the beginning.

Multiplayer(N/A): N/A

Gameplay(9/10): You can pretty much do anything you want to in Oblivion. If you want to run around and kill wildlife, you can. If you want to be a thief and spend your time stealing and avoiding the guards, you can. You can make your character into a warrior and face everything head on, a stealthy rouge and attack from the shadows, a mage and fight with magic and creatures, or any combination of the above. However, a lot of the NPC interaction is very cheesy. You can save an NPCâ
  38. Mar 15, 2011
    TES IV: Oblivion is one of the greatest games ever made. It's official plug-in, Knights of the Nine, and the large expansion, The Shivering Isles, are both great and come with the Game of the Year Edition of Oblivion. The PS3 version's great, X-Box 360 version's slightly better, because you can buy official plug-ins from X-Box Live, and there's no doubt that the PC version is the best fromTES IV: Oblivion is one of the greatest games ever made. It's official plug-in, Knights of the Nine, and the large expansion, The Shivering Isles, are both great and come with the Game of the Year Edition of Oblivion. The PS3 version's great, X-Box 360 version's slightly better, because you can buy official plug-ins from X-Box Live, and there's no doubt that the PC version is the best from the three, because you can buy the plug-ins, the loading times are much faster (depending on you computer, of course), and you can download the unofficial plug-ins and mods, that make the game dynamics better and more realistic. Now to the game itself. One of the bad sides of the game comes up after few hours of playing: the voice acting is pretty lame. The game has only 14 voice actors, and personally, I think that only two of them are actually good. Although you can get used to that. The storyline however kicks ass, once you get the hang of it. At the beginning of the game you can create your own character, from the name to the hairstyle. After you complete the Tutorial you can do what ever you want to do! You can continue the storyline or go your own way by completing side-quests, exploring dungeons, etc. The AI is kinda awkward, however. I myself once found a NPC swimming in middle of a lake, hundreds of miles away from the city she was suppose to be in. The character design is kinda strange too. For example, the women almost look like men. Personally, I think this is one of the best games I've ever plaid (and I have plaid many games), and is a must-have for every fantasy RPG -fan. If you're planning to buy this game, a little tip: buy the Game of the Year Edition! Expand
  39. Feb 1, 2011
    I'm not exaggerating when I say that this is, quite possibly, one of the best games ever made. The amount of customization and creativity you get to enjoy, the gigantic landscapes you get to explore, the massive amount of quests and journeys you get to experience make the entire ride amazing. It took me about a month of quite consistent playing to get everything I was willing to do done,I'm not exaggerating when I say that this is, quite possibly, one of the best games ever made. The amount of customization and creativity you get to enjoy, the gigantic landscapes you get to explore, the massive amount of quests and journeys you get to experience make the entire ride amazing. It took me about a month of quite consistent playing to get everything I was willing to do done, and there was still some small quests left over. If you don't own this game, you must. Stop what you're doing and go buy it, right now. Expand
  40. Dec 26, 2010
    Roll playing games are not my favorite genre in gaming but I did find this one to be one of the most ambitious offerings I'd ever taken on. The scope and scale of this game is overwhelming. 99% of the game goes off without a hitch but there was one key bug that really impacted my game (the "cure vampirism" quest). Other than that the ability to customize your character, what seems likeRoll playing games are not my favorite genre in gaming but I did find this one to be one of the most ambitious offerings I'd ever taken on. The scope and scale of this game is overwhelming. 99% of the game goes off without a hitch but there was one key bug that really impacted my game (the "cure vampirism" quest). Other than that the ability to customize your character, what seems like a nearly unlimited number of quests and side quests, and a world that is so large it kept me engaged as long as any game I can remember. I'd give it a 96 out of 100 it it weren't for the "bug" that really impacted the game for a while. I still give it a 93 out of 100 all things considered and the best RPG game I ever played. Can't wait for TES 5!!! Expand
  41. Nov 21, 2010
    You've been trawling through dark, dank sewers for about half an hour. You've created a character which suits you perfectly. You're heading through a long tunnel. There's a light at the end. A gate. You approach the gate, confirm your character is how you want, then open it. Bright, dazzling sunshine greets your eyes. You look around. Trees upon trees for miles. An expansive lake.You've been trawling through dark, dank sewers for about half an hour. You've created a character which suits you perfectly. You're heading through a long tunnel. There's a light at the end. A gate. You approach the gate, confirm your character is how you want, then open it. Bright, dazzling sunshine greets your eyes. You look around. Trees upon trees for miles. An expansive lake. Mountains in the distance, covered in snow. And it's all there to explore. In terms of sheer scale, no game compares to Oblivion. The graphics are beyond-words-gorgeous. Occasional glitches and bugs (to be expected with a world this huge) are the only thing which prevent this game from being absolute perfection. 97%. Expand
  42. Nov 12, 2010
    "This is probably one of the best, if not the best games ever made in terms of content."
    I don't see why there are lots of trollish idiots on this review page who review this game a 0, or 1 or anything other than 10. Everyone who did this needs to realize that there are games other than Call of duty and other crap that plagues consoles under the name FPS. This is a very impressive game that set the standards for RPG's that followed. There's literally 100's of hours of content, along with many dungeons and caves to explore. For people saying that all the caves look the same: Well, so do the ones in real life, and you wouldn't have known anyways because you're spending your whole life on your 360 trying to prestiege. Also, the terrain is varied, unlike what people have said before. There are mountains, snow capped mountains, forests, valleys, plains, wastelands, and even swamps. This is probably one of the best, if not the best games ever made in terms of content. This version in particular has the best loading times and graphics improvements. Bethesda is an amazing game maker and completely blew me off track with this game. This game actually got me through the pains i had in real life, and kept me occupied during frustrating times. I salute this game and all who have made it. If you haven't played this game, go play it. Don't listen to all these fanboy haters that are mad because the PS3 version is more smooth. Overall, definately the #1 game on my list. Good luck.
  43. Oct 12, 2010
    An amazing, insanely rich game that fully immerses you. The graphics (for their time), soundtrack, gameplay, depth, and replayability are all top-notch. My only complaints with TES IV is the great-but-not excellent story, the leveling system, the infamously clunky Bethesda animations, and the lack of variety in voice actors. These, however, are hardly problems when compared to theAn amazing, insanely rich game that fully immerses you. The graphics (for their time), soundtrack, gameplay, depth, and replayability are all top-notch. My only complaints with TES IV is the great-but-not excellent story, the leveling system, the infamously clunky Bethesda animations, and the lack of variety in voice actors. These, however, are hardly problems when compared to the multitude of things to do and have fun doing in Oblivion. Cities, houses, weapons, quests, horses; you name it, Oblivion has it. The freedom to do whatever you want in the manner you want is unparalleled in comparison to today's lineup of games. Expand
  44. Sep 23, 2010
    The standard for sprawling sandbox games since Daggerfall, Bethesda manages another fantastic game packed with hundreds of hours of content. From senseless slaughter to daring theft to epic heroism, you are truly free to carve your own satisfying path through the rich environs of Cyrodiil.
  45. Aug 19, 2010
    II bought this game based on the good critics, came home and played it
    for 2 hours.... Then I walked over to my PS3 and pushed the eject
    button, sat on the ground in disbelieve. I just survived the most horrible gaming experience ever. In 2 hours nothing happened... I created a character, fought some rat, fought some dogs, got caught picking a lock, died while trying to swing my sword in
    II bought this game based on the good critics, came home and played it
    for 2 hours.... Then I walked over to my PS3 and pushed the eject
    button, sat on the ground in disbelieve. I just survived the most
    horrible gaming experience ever.

In 2 hours nothing happened... I created a character, fought some rat,
    fought some dogs, got caught picking a lock, died while trying to
    swing my sword in all directions butt the enemies.

I just wandered about in some boring land with a butt ugly character
    who seems to hover over the land in stead of walking, the collision
    detection is just horrible. When the guy jumps it goes almost in
    slow-motion.

If you are like me and would like to try a RPG in stead of your
    regular doses casual gaming -> InFAMOUS, God Of War, Red Dead
    Redemption, Uncharted etc etc .. AVOID ... DO NOT TOUCH. You will die
    out of boredom.
  46. Aug 12, 2010
    Lots of adventures in this game but in general it lacks drama and storytelling. When it came out graphics were ok, but today the game looks pretty old.

Still one of the best RPG ifor the PS3.

The fundamental game is just so epic, the world so vast, the options so varied, that you'll find more quality gameplay shoehorned into this disc than just about any other game I can think of. But the version sitting on store shelves right now is inferior to its brethren on other platforms. So I can really only recommend it if you don't own a 360 or a PC capable of running the game well.
  2. Oblivion on PS3 is one of the biggest and most impressive role-playing games in history, and you owe it to yourself to play it if you haven’t already experienced it elsewhere.
  3. What this game lacks for in screen resolution, it makes up for in its excellent open world, beautiful art design, and grand architecture.