7.8

1. Nov 14, 2014
    Honestly, I have to agree with the other review here. This game could have been really great but the massive design flaws and various issues seriously hurt the fun, and make the game ultra frustrating. I would really only recommend this game to hardened Roguelike fans, as like with most RL games - Paradox can be extremely unfair and extremely unforgiving sometimes, and if you die orHonestly, I have to agree with the other review here. This game could have been really great but the massive design flaws and various issues seriously hurt the fun, and make the game ultra frustrating. I would really only recommend this game to hardened Roguelike fans, as like with most RL games - Paradox can be extremely unfair and extremely unforgiving sometimes, and if you die or fail an objective you lose everything - all items, even equipped items which can lead to many resets which ultimately leads to many lost hours, and unfortunately those system resets happen all too often, many times not giving the player any chance of survivability.

The previous review mentioned the trap problem, and its true - you cannot detect traps period, you cannot see them, you have no clue they are there and they are random, and to add insult to injury they also cheat. Consider you walk on every spot in a room, no traps - keep on walking..keep on walking..boom then a trap appears? As I see it, the traps are there just to give your character an extra beat down occasionally, or even potentially killing your character! 2 Earthquake traps side by side anyone?

The A.I in this game is also a travesty, it ranges from blithering idiot A.I for your partner to super computer intelligence for your opponents, you A.I will wake up sleeping monsters, run around attempting to kill everything in sight - jump across gaps to kill monsters and all the time, most likely dying in the process since you can't directly control your partner, just issue several orders which honestly - don't work very good.

Whilst, your opponents work together to create traps, bottlenecks - use abilities and skills to the maximum effect. One prime example is on the 4th wish defending a knight in a large tower network, you have to defend him from 30 or so enemies, you have tower defenses available but for the most part, the enemies keep away from the most critical areas. The knight will only attack monsters which are 1 square away and he will not move, so one of the tricks the monsters do and its a deadly one is to charge the tower and have a mushrooms lead the charge - which have paralyze attacks and even exploded with AoE paralyze when killed, they'll have minotaurs set up guarding mobs which have ranged attacks - so the knight will be attacked at range, whilst you are paralyzed for many turns - then once your able to move, the minotaurs have knockback attacks which can constantly knock you off the tower, and remember here - each movement = 1 turn, so by the time you have climbed back to the tower - you guessed it, game over - the knight is dead - reset the system and waste another hour, and this is just one of the many examples - each dungeon really does require a very careful selection of items to bring along, such as food, healing items and status cures - Lets not even talk about the EX dungeons and how brutal they can be.

Another problem is that your level is reset to 1 each time you start a dungeon, which is par for roguelike - the gimmick for Paradox is that you get to keep 'bonus' stat points for your total level, I have since found that these really play a very small part in the game, they do not really give your character any significant boost, and later really amount to another form of currency when the Total Level vendor appears. The actual gimmick is to burst level your items over and over again which not only makes the item more powerful, each burst also gives skill points to allocate - the obvious major flaw with this system is this becomes a major grind grind grind in order to achieve that all so important overpowered character feeling, if it wasn't so annoying dying countless times and losing all items it would be so bad - I think everyone who has played this game knows the feeling all too well, losing out on a nicely grinded weapon or armor piece.

Overall, I'm very heavily disappointed with Guided Fate of Paradox, the moe-angel types are fun and cute for about 10 minutes but after that, their attitudes towards 'god' ie the player start to really annoy you. The story of Paradox is okay, whilst I've played many rpgs which have had really great storylines - Paradox is just so/so - it could have been much better if more time had been taken. Disgaea fans will probably enjoy Paradox for a while assuming they can get past the brutal gameplay - Paradox can reward the player if they have enough time and dedication, not to mention willpower to avoid totally dropping the game after countless game restarts but unfortunately I think for the most part, the average player here will most likely hate this game - I started out enjoying the game but the feeling you
  2. Dec 24, 2015
    I usually love NISA games published or developed (Hyperdimension, Disgaea, Atelier etc..) and JRPG's but this particular entry is not my cup of tea. I gave this game a good 10hrs or so but I could not get into it! This is most probably because I don't really like dungeon crawler games all that much but I gave it a shot anyways.

I'd have to say that my favourite part of playing JRPG's is

I'd have to say that my favourite part of playing JRPG's is levelling up my characters / stats. This game takes a unique, albeit irritating levelling system in my opinion. Every time you finish a level you go back to the hub world but you reset to lvl 1 with a fraction of you stats staying with you. So you're grinding in the dungeons but you don't really keep your grinds. I wasn't a fan of this as I felt kinda ripped off because of it.

Another part is in the items. It's really cool that each item (piece of gear) will make you character look different and sometimes funny but always fixing it was a hassle for me as it seemed like it always needed repair. Also if you die while in a dungeon get used to saying goodbye to all your gear. I found this to deter from experimentation as penaltys were severe if things went bad.

Another irritating mechanic that I found was with traps. I'm not sure if later on there's a skill that'll help you detect them or not but they were so random in my experience. It's one thing if it's my fault for walking into a trap or hazard (assuming there's a warning or sign that there's a trap) but it's another to just walk into them randomly.

Overall I found myself becoming quickly annoyed with this game compared to my love for other NISA titles. If you like dungeon crawlers (that give little room for error) and JRPG's then I recommend this game. but it was not a game for me.

4/10 for me

Lots of depth and replayability, but a few unexpected surprises like unusually poor voice acting dull the shine.
  2. CD-Action
    Feb 10, 2014
    Nippon Ichi tried to develop a game that would appeal to a wider audience but made it too complicated and therefore wearisome. [02/2014, p.70]
  3. Feb 6, 2014
    Wearing its weirdness and humour like a badge of honor, Guided Fate Paradox is a fresh take on the Roguelike genre with a quirky tale and dialed-back difficulty that ensures it's accessible to all audiences.