8.6

1. Mar 1, 2016
    Game: Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
    Genre: Adventure
    Developer: Sony Computer Entertainment Japan System: Playstation 3 (PS3) Total Score: 82/100 Value Score: 8.2/10 • Story: 7/10 • Characters: 7/10 • GamePlay: 8/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 9/10 • Music: 9/10 • Length: 7/10 • Replay Value: 8/10 • Player Value: 9/10 Pros +Consists of two games: Ico and Shadow
    Game: Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
    Genre: Adventure
    Developer: Sony Computer Entertainment Japan
    System: Playstation 3 (PS3)
    Total Score: 82/100

• Music: 9/10
    • Length: 7/10
    • Replay Value: 8/10
    • Player Value: 9/10

Pros
    +Consists of two games: Ico and Shadow of the Colossus
    +Also includes additional bonus content such as game development documentaries, etc
    +Remastered in HD
    +Trophy Support

Cons
    -Games can be very short
    -Story is a bit weak
  2. Dec 29, 2016
    This is a wonderful collection that features two of the greatest games ever made by the legendary director, Fumito Ueda. Shadow alone is enough to make this worth your while.
  3. Sep 26, 2014
    2nd pass. ICO: 9/10. SotC: 7/10. Of the two, I enjoyed ICO a lot more. Puzzles were lucid, gameplay was enjoyable, next to no troublesome mechanics or anything to annoy the player, near-perfect. Though I prefer the aesthetic of SotC, I found it repetitive and frustrating, mostly due to the horrendous camera and the troublesome controls, which a lot of the time were greater foes than the2nd pass. ICO: 9/10. SotC: 7/10. Of the two, I enjoyed ICO a lot more. Puzzles were lucid, gameplay was enjoyable, next to no troublesome mechanics or anything to annoy the player, near-perfect. Though I prefer the aesthetic of SotC, I found it repetitive and frustrating, mostly due to the horrendous camera and the troublesome controls, which a lot of the time were greater foes than the colossi themselves. Poetic and artful, beautiful, even, but not a great game. Expand
  4. Mar 31, 2014
    The HD updates are done perfectly. The convincing colossi look as though created for PS3, and the trophies add meaningful challenge and invite for a deeper exploration of the games. The box-art can be turned inside-out revealing all-page artwork for ICO (front) and SotC (back). The extras are not remarkable. A few themes that look PS2-y and a few video clips that take up much HDD space,The HD updates are done perfectly. The convincing colossi look as though created for PS3, and the trophies add meaningful challenge and invite for a deeper exploration of the games. The box-art can be turned inside-out revealing all-page artwork for ICO (front) and SotC (back). The extras are not remarkable. A few themes that look PS2-y and a few video clips that take up much HDD space, and you can find on Youtube.

As for the games, how much bland gameplay are you willing to sit through for the unique, sublime peaks of these two games? I'm talking about the mediocre combat and the less exciting puzzles in Ico, as well as the transportation and more awkward climbing moments in SotC. The peaks show unique qualities. The beautifully simple logical coherence of Ico, and the impressively grand and inventive fights of SotC. They would be even better if the player had a chance to work in different ways towards a solution. But the games are designed to be solved linearly, with every next step lying more or less obviously before the player. Plot is not the focus of these games, but they both end with generously well told cutscenes.

Each game clocks in at less than 10 hours (ICO only 7-8 hours), so in full, they don't feel like quantitatively more value than any regular 'big' PS3 release. However, when these games work, they are uniquely atmospheric, lyrical and mythical. They are as far from the FPS/sports segment as you can come on the PS3, and in bursts they revive your faith that video games can express a sense of otherwordly magic.
  5. Aug 16, 2016
    The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection is a video game bundle that contains high-definition remasters of two masterpiece of PlayStation 2 for the PlayStation 3.
  6. Oct 7, 2011
    I've played these gems back in their times and I honestly thought my mind was not going to be blown again by these remakes. I was completely wrong. I cried the same tears of before during a very specific scene in Shadow of the Colossus (I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about). These games don't deserve our mundane shelves. They should be in museums.
  7. Apr 22, 2014
    The HD hasn't made ICO or Shadow of the Colossus appear any newer, however, when it comes to Team ICO, age doesn't exist. The classics that helped capture the PS2 era and visualize it, in case you missed them, ICO and Colossus give gamers -- casual and traditional -- the opportunity to mine into their dazzling beauty and simplicity. And despite the demographic maybe missing your averageThe HD hasn't made ICO or Shadow of the Colossus appear any newer, however, when it comes to Team ICO, age doesn't exist. The classics that helped capture the PS2 era and visualize it, in case you missed them, ICO and Colossus give gamers -- casual and traditional -- the opportunity to mine into their dazzling beauty and simplicity. And despite the demographic maybe missing your average action/adventure audience on a more rewarding scale, there's no denying the impact they'll leave during your experience.

Pros? The HD helps introduce ICO and Colossus to the newer era, whilst retaining all the glory experienced during their debuts, respectively; cleaner, crisper pixels; widescreen; breathtakingly beautiful visuals, especially the Colossi sequences during Colossus; excellent -- and eerie -- sound design, specifically the whistling winds while exploring the dungeons in ICO and the vast expanses in Colossus; simple, yet emotionally involving concepts; excellent trophy system; great value.

Cons? The camera and controls in Colossus are annoying at first glance; ICO and Colossus share a minimalist concept that might seem sketchy to some players.
  8. Oct 14, 2011
    Even though these two games are the only games Team Ico has made for the last ten years, I consider Team Ico one of Sony's most dangerous assets in video gaming. These two games alone are one of my greatest gaming experiences and I am grateful that they are re-imagined in HD. ICO, while now I did find it a bit slow and the controls really awkward and took time getting used to, the build upEven though these two games are the only games Team Ico has made for the last ten years, I consider Team Ico one of Sony's most dangerous assets in video gaming. These two games alone are one of my greatest gaming experiences and I am grateful that they are re-imagined in HD. ICO, while now I did find it a bit slow and the controls really awkward and took time getting used to, the build up and emotional depth of the story is just as fantastic as it was ten years ago and Shadow of the Colossus' minimal concept of just fighting giant colossus is still breathtakingly awesome. If you have missed out on these PS2 classics, I suggest getting this on the PS3 while you still have the chance and hope that Team Ico's next release, The Last Guardian, will be released as soon as you wished. Expand
  9. Apr 15, 2016
  10. Nov 20, 2013
    Un juego que busca innovar y que con una buena base e ideas implementa algo novedoso. Pero la cosa no salió muy bien, la verdad se vuelve algo repetitivo, aburrido y no engancha mucho...igualmente hubiera sido un gran juego de enganchar mas y no ser tan lento...solo lo recomiendo a los que le gustaron el juego, para los amantes de tipo puzzles, pero para los demás no, no me gusto el juegoUn juego que busca innovar y que con una buena base e ideas implementa algo novedoso. Pero la cosa no salió muy bien, la verdad se vuelve algo repetitivo, aburrido y no engancha mucho...igualmente hubiera sido un gran juego de enganchar mas y no ser tan lento...solo lo recomiendo a los que le gustaron el juego, para los amantes de tipo puzzles, pero para los demás no, no me gusto el juego y eso que al principio me agrado la idea, pero se quedó en un quiero y no puedo... Expand
  11. Oct 11, 2011
    When i first started playing Ico all i could think was "Hello am i missing something here?" It just felt so dated and i'm not just talking about the graphics. The controls are terrible and the camera atrocious but i persevered anyway as i figured there's got to be something here that justifies the fanatical cult following it has. But no, hours of gameplay in and still nothing much excitingWhen i first started playing Ico all i could think was "Hello am i missing something here?" It just felt so dated and i'm not just talking about the graphics. The controls are terrible and the camera atrocious but i persevered anyway as i figured there's got to be something here that justifies the fanatical cult following it has. But no, hours of gameplay in and still nothing much exciting happens. Ther's no great innovation or surprise to the level design; You just explore the dull castle until you stumble across one of it's simplistic, unimaginative puzzles or another shadow monster to fight and that's it. I'll admit it's not a completely awful game and the main premise of having to protect another character is a good one but really thats all it has going for it. Ther's simply no way this deserves all the 10's it's been getting. All i can think of is that these people have been blinded to the games shortcoming by nostalgia. Oh,and i know the fanboys will mark me down as unhelpful but don't assume i'm someone who only likes games with big explosions or that i don't get slow moving or deep games because my collection is full of games like Portal, Fallout 3 and Limbo.
    To be honest i havn't played SOTC yet and, you know, i probably never will because Ico has pissed me off so much! I could have bought Dark Souls or Arkham City instead of this!
  12. Mar 17, 2017
    Shadow of the Colossus is one of the best games ever. Go play it. Buy or download the soundtrack. Dream about the forbidden lands. And ICO is one hell of an underrated game. And I'm saying this after playing The Last Guardian. I think ICO is the second best game of Fumito Ueda over TLG. I really love this HD Collection. Is a must for all PS3 owners. 10!
  13. Jan 13, 2014
    I'm not sure why, but neither delivered quite what I was hoping for.

ICO: Pros: Nice design choices, solid ending and passable controls. Cons:Frustrating/boring puzzles and combat, not amazing story, little emotion felt for characters and bad AI. Overall: 4 SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS: Pros: Interesting premise, huge boss fights, satisfying gameplay Cons: Slightly drags on with a few
    I'm not sure why, but neither delivered quite what I was hoping for.

ICO:
    Pros: Nice design choices, solid ending and passable controls.
    Overall: 4

SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS:
    Pros: Interesting premise, huge boss fights, satisfying gameplay
    Cons: Slightly drags on with a few obscure solutions to the fights, quite over the top ending.
    Overall: 7

In theory, I could have chosen a score of either 5 or 6, yet I chose six as Ico really did show some flashes of excellence and Shadow delivered on quite a few occasions. These two games just did not pack the emotional punch I was lead to believe. And I know people will read these review and be disgusted and think that I am some mainstream gamer whose only needs in a game are bullets to be constantly sprayed but the truth is I loathe many of those games and rarely play them unless they have something interesting to say. I just don't think these games lived up to the hype
  14. Aug 11, 2015
    I recently played through both of this gems for the first time and I would play them again. I have to say that I played Shadow of the Colossus first and despite some unresponsive controls, I really loved the game. It's just a great sense of achievement to defeat these well designed bosses in this world and I also love that the game doesn't hold your hand to much.

Ico came second and I

Ico came second and I was expecting a less spectacular experience because I read through some reviews first. I had some rather annoying moments with this game, because yorda's got the AI you would expect from an 13 years old game. Nevertheless, I don't regret playing this awesome puzzle plattformer.

I think the games still hold up pretty amazing and deserve to be experienced by all of you.

I feel now well prepared to get my hand on the last guardian when it hopefully arrives in 2016.
  15. Oct 8, 2011
    These games are an excellent example of where art combines with console gaming. Both games have the look of De Chirico and Dali in their artwork, and there is an existential depth to the story that goes beyond the usual gaming fare . In Ico the initial abandonment and ultimate friendship of the two characters is achingly beautiful, capturing the essence of childlike innocence and at itsThese games are an excellent example of where art combines with console gaming. Both games have the look of De Chirico and Dali in their artwork, and there is an existential depth to the story that goes beyond the usual gaming fare . In Ico the initial abandonment and ultimate friendship of the two characters is achingly beautiful, capturing the essence of childlike innocence and at its heart this is the reason Ico has such a resonance.
    Don't expect to be meeting or talking to other characters, because they are notable by their absence. Sound of wind, running water and birdsong are the predominant sounds that accompany Ico in his adventures, making this a haunting ,moving experience.
    These are not state- of -the -art -next -gen -graphics to be sure, but Shadow of the Colossus still looks gorgeous and the originality of the game-play has enough to keep you interested. With its remastered HD makeover, ( when are we going to get 1080 HD as standard on PS3 games! ) this collection is well worth the purchase price even if you have played it before on Ps2.
    There are some problems however with camera points of view and counter intuitive controls that can make both games frustrating and episodic rather than flowing but this does little to detract from an innovative, beautiful gaming experience.
    Strongly recommended
  16. Oct 3, 2011
    ICO in my opinion is boring. You explore a mostly empty castle the entire game, while there are occasionally some breathtaking views outdoors the game never truly managed to capture me in its atmosphere, which is all the game has going for it. The combat and platforming are very weak and the puzzles are either too simple or too obtuse, there is no medium. I used the word obtuse because theICO in my opinion is boring. You explore a mostly empty castle the entire game, while there are occasionally some breathtaking views outdoors the game never truly managed to capture me in its atmosphere, which is all the game has going for it. The combat and platforming are very weak and the puzzles are either too simple or too obtuse, there is no medium. I used the word obtuse because the game fails to teach the player what is and is not possible, for example, swinging, the game never tells you how to swing and the controls are not intuitive enough to learn on your own, so I never knew that was an option until I read it in a FAQ, these instances sound silly, but they infuriate me because I attribute them to poor design.

SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS is a masterfully crafted adventure with, unfortunately, little to no replay value. I loved the game when I first played it on PS2 and I highly recommend anyone that has yet to experience this game to give it a try. The reason I cite the games lack of replay value is because the games allure was due to the wonder of seeing each colossus for the first time and discovering (on your own) how to defeat each one, when you replay the game a second time that allure is lost. Naturally the game will never live up to that first experience but the gameplay elements itself, while adequate, aren't enough to make me want to play through the game again. It's a game best played once and remembered for its greatness and uniqueness.
  17. Jul 8, 2013
    SOTC I never played this on the PS2, but judging it as it is, it's a big disappointment. The controls are terrible, and the graphics are just OK I can imagine that it looked good in its day, but time has moved on! There are much better looking and playing games out there.
    ICO sorry, just not for me the continual bleating from girl just got on my nerves. I made it about 30 minutes in before turning it off through sheer irritation.
  18. Nov 21, 2011
    When I first played ICO back then, I felt like the enemy encounters were too many, disturbing the rather calm and lost feel this game has. You still have to get the hang of the combat and it's mechanics. Even though it's not that difficult, really, I did have a hard time with them which resulted in some frustration. These enemies always come in packs and they take a lot of hits, so eachWhen I first played ICO back then, I felt like the enemy encounters were too many, disturbing the rather calm and lost feel this game has. You still have to get the hang of the combat and it's mechanics. Even though it's not that difficult, really, I did have a hard time with them which resulted in some frustration. These enemies always come in packs and they take a lot of hits, so each encounter can drag on pretty much. That didn't prevent me from absolutely loving the game and when you replay it, you will be better and also know when you can run instead of fight, but personally, I think it would have been a good decision to have less enemies o rather, less encounters on the first run and let the game be the way it is now on a "New Game +".

For the actual game, you could check reviews for the PS2 version, nothing has changed (from PAL).

One thing I would like to point out is that unlike a lot of other games, the puzzles are purely environmental, which is neither good, nor bad in itself, but they do feel very "organic and natural", while in many other games, they feel forced and out of place, basically just there to stop you in your tracks. In this game the environment does not contain puzzles, the environment IS the puzzle. It is also really nice how interwoven the castle is with itself. You will come onto a balcony and look down, seeing a courtyard you had been to an hour or re-enter a hall form a different entry and moments like these help creating the feeling you're really exploring this world instead of just running down a hallway.

The second important aspect, of course, is Yorda. A lot of the puzzles are about finding ways for her to proceed through the castle as she cannot jump down or climb as high as Ico can. The charm of this game in parts is also about feeling a sort of relationship to this girl, so if you absolutely hate NPC escorting, this game is not for you because it's "the mother of all escort missions". But if you are willing to let it happen, the whole holding her hand literally and pictorially works and you will relate to her even without many dialogue. (There's very little to begin with and on top of it, the first time you play it, Yorda's artificial language is not being subtitled in readable letters.)

Technically, the game looked very nice on the PS2 already and the HD update really makes it shine, but of course, you can still see it's a PS2 game, don't be unrealistic. There are only few moments with music and the rest is birds chirping, wind howling and background noises humming, all of which creates a lonely and melancholic feeling some will love and some will call boring. 10/10

Now I absolutely loved SOTC on PS2. It was unique and pretty. You ride through this forsaken, very varied land and it never gets boring. There's not much too do other than sink yourself into the atmosphere. Yes, you can collect fruits and lizard tails, but that's not why you play the game. As with ICO, there's no music while exploring, but during the boss fights and in cutscenes, there is and it's phenomenal in itself an in how it really fits perfectly to the individual battles. One flaw to point out is that the transition from one version to the more brisk version of a theme once you climbed a colossus can be very clumsy and bumpy, but you'll be too busy to notice it often.

I won't get too much into details as you could always check the older reviews, but instead say a little about the HD remake. First off, nothing has changed besides the graphics. To make it short, it looks phenomenal. You'll realize this even more if you pop in the original game and compare. Wow, just wow.

So with this collection in hand, why did I go back to play the PS 2 version? To compare one thing I wanted to be sure about before I complain and that's that they made Wanda much more susceptible to the colossi's shaking. Even when they just walk, he will lose his grip or stand every whipstitch. It IS different from the original game where he was more sturdy and that change is not for the better as it can become extremely irritating and will base things more on luck and chance than is good for the game. While it's not too much of an issue in story mode, it turns some of the time trials into a bad joke, especially on Hard difficulty. Now it can still be done and the hardcore cracks will high-horsedly tell you it's even better that way, but it's not. Difficulty is okay, luck and tedium are not. 7/10, sadly.

Extras: Extremely disappointing. No interesting or even new footage or insights, mostly some devs praising the games like they cure cancer. Last Guardian? Forget it, just some snippets of years old trailers. On top of it, that garbage has to be downloaded from the PSN store. 0/10

Now I have a hard time giving an overall score. The few disappointments way heavy for me, but objectively, they're not THAT bad. 8/10
  19. Apr 12, 2015
    Both games are really great, ICO was very short but it felt complete when i finished, SotC was just amazing... I just regret i didn't play any of them on the ps2
  20. Dec 6, 2014
    Shadow of the Colossus was horrible. The controls were bad and unwieldy. The sound track was good and the graphics were OK but that does not excuse the game for its poorly designed controls. The game was so horrible that it has killed my love for the PlayStation 3. I would not recommend this game at all.
  21. Oct 11, 2011
    Great collection of games! I will keep it short. This franchise of games reminds me of Zelda. To me this is this generations Zelda (I know Zelda is still currently in production). You get a great value for you money with two top rated games. Explore this wonderful world and enjoy a rebirth of 2 PS2 games on the PS3. Scores: Game play 5/5, sound 5/5, graphics 5/5, fun factor 4/5, replay value 4/5.
  22. Aug 26, 2013
    Casual gamer, but ICO was beautiful to say the least. Very innovative for the time and the scenery was just epic. Japan, I bow to your creative brilliance. Next, on to Colossus.
  23. Sep 28, 2011
    By the way I haven't even bothered to play ICO yet. So my score is based on Shadows OT Colossus. I'm not trying to trump ip the score scoring twice.
  24. Nov 17, 2011
    Honestly, as someone who had never played either one of these games before, I was legitimately excited to play, at the very least, Shadow of the Colossus. Unfortunately, I found myself extremely bored after the first 30 minutes of the game----I will give it one thing though, they did a great job restoring it, so if you liked the game on PS2 then you probably will still like it today.
  25. Oct 8, 2011
    What can you say about Ico and Shadow of the Colossus? How one can describe these magnificent piece of art? You cant really, you need to experience these games yourself. Both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus proves that games can be more then just simple action games with pretty graphics or anime spirited goofy roleplaying games. Games can be deep, emotional and something that stays with youWhat can you say about Ico and Shadow of the Colossus? How one can describe these magnificent piece of art? You cant really, you need to experience these games yourself. Both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus proves that games can be more then just simple action games with pretty graphics or anime spirited goofy roleplaying games. Games can be deep, emotional and something that stays with you for rest of your life. Expand
  26. Mar 16, 2016
    I do not have much to say about this game, except that it is one of the best I've played. The excitement, the soundtrack and everything it conveys. This game deserves to be called a masterpiece.
  27. Aug 15, 2012
    This package includes 2 wonderful games in one. One of the best thing about these games is how different the two of them are. ICO is more of a puzzle platformer game while Shadow of the Colossus features very few puzzles and is instead almost entirely based on boss battles. However, both games manage to totally immerse the player.

It takes a bit of an artistic eye to really appreciate

It takes a bit of an artistic eye to really appreciate how great these games really are. The stories are very good and deep, although on the surface there really isn't a whole lot there. If you're able to look into the game it becomes so much more deep.

2 beautiful and great games in one package. The added HD brings a little bit to the table, but not a whole lot. Still, a very worthwhile package.
  28. May 23, 2013
    One of the best experiences I've been through in gaming. So why the 8? The controls and camera are very poor, but if you are persistent, you will get used to them and beat the game.

Great boss fights, environment, and soundtrack. It would get a 10 if it weren't for the physics problems on cliffs and the colossi.
  29. Jan 13, 2017
    Well, my score is for Shadow of Colossus, for I haven't had the chance to play ICO properly (I have the original one, and I was too young to even complete an hour of it).
    I bought it right on release years ago (the PS2 version) despite I hadn't heard anything about it (we didn't have all those fancy gaming websites back then, just magazines that came up monthly). So I played it, totally naive of what I was going to find during the journey, and I absolutely loved it. Yes, it's so empty, the game was bringing the PS2 to the maximum without exploding, due those huge creatures moving and trying to defend their lives (yes defend, not attack you). It was empty, but was that kind of beautiful emptyness, letting you know that place was at the very end of that world, a forbidden land forgotten by the hand of the men. And you are fighting those creatures with a sole sword wielded by an inexperienced boy, all to resurrect his beloved girl... with that fatale end for the boy. The story wouldn't catch your attention, but it didn't need to, with those challenges ahead. Even with that, you end up worrying about your poor horse, knowing that is digital you can't help but feel sad at the end. Damn even some colossus you don't want to kill, because they are innocent creatures and some of them won't even fight you, all to save their own lives. Oh but also there's the music... THAT is music. Even if the scenes aren't great, don't have impressive cutscenes, nor dialogues, that music speaks for the game. I havent tried the HD version, not I will, I don't want to ruin those memories back in 2005. This is one of those games that, like Journey, isn't looking for everybody's attention or approval. This kind of games has its own public, not a mainstream game.

1. Feb 2, 2012
    If video games aren't art, then ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection is not a video game. It's a staggering compilation of two of the most creative, intimate and emotional pieces of interactive entertainment ever conceived.
  2. Play UK
    Nov 27, 2011
    They're absolutely, without a doubt, worth buying. [Issue#210, p.78]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 15, 2011
    High Def remake is one of the shiniest gaming jewels – this conversion is an extraordinary and unique game that is a must have for any PlayStation 3 owner. [Nov 2011]