The Last of Us PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.2

1. Dec 18, 2013
    Honestly, after all the hype, I expected better. The games graphics, art, music and (especially) its story are top notch. The gameplay? Not so much. Way to repetitive and frustrating. There are 3 modes to this game.

1) Walk/run exploring the impressive maps where you move stuff around solving puzzles, avoiding traps, and scavenge as much stuff as you can for its crafting to prepare you for (see #2)

2) Sneak your way past a set of encounters which can either be human or infected (aka zombies). The most important yet worst part of the game. First of all, its one of "those" games which keep you low on weapons and ammo. So while you CAN, and probably will have to shoot and fight from time to time, its designed to have you sneak as much as possible. Fighting makes noise which attracts all the bad guys in the area, which will probably kill you if you stick around because your character is incredibly weak and your partner is incredibly stupid. You can also sneak up and melee using weapons you find and or craft but of course they break easily. You can craft a shiv which have a very limited use (twice!) and even steel pipes break after a about 2 kills. Yeah just 2.

Then there are what are called Clickers. You'll come to hate them tremendously, and not in a good way. Can you kill them? First you have to snail your way to them because they have really good ears and can hear you even if youre sneaking. Then if youre lucky and want to waste your very limited weapon durability you may dispose of them. However 9/10 theyre near 2-3 other Clickers which are within hearing distance AND they kill you with one hit. You can use firearms if you wish but (a) they attract another 5 zombies in the area and (b) theyre pretty resilient to bullets (even head shots). Meaning they will likely reach you.

The best and least frustrating thing thing to do is to just sneak past everything. All this wouldnt be so bad if there was some variety, but its pretty much the same deal, every. single. time! Only difference is its in new areas.

3) Watch cutscene. Probably the best part of the game but for that I could just watch a movie.

Rise repeat. Occasionally youll get some high adrenaline action (in which you magically and suddenly have unlimited ammo, btw) which does little to alleviate the monotony of the entire thing. Only thing that kept me going was its great storyline which had me on edge wanting to know whats going to happen next.
  2. Feb 27, 2014
    There are 3 things that really impressed me with this game :
    - the music and how it's used
    - the acting - the visual artistic approach I could add characters development, although I do feel the success on this part has more to do with the acting than the actual writing. The actors really make this work even when the dialog seems to a bit short on credibility or psychology. The
    There are 3 things that really impressed me with this game :
    - the music and how it's used
    - the acting
    - the visual artistic approach

The story is good, much better than in any game, and is interesting to watch because of the characters. I also found the ending very strong, because of the ambiguous feelings you get from it.

I'm a big fan of Half Life 2 and the Fallout series. In many ways, TLOU felt like an homage to these while being a sort of graphical upgrade. If Fallout 3 had the same graphics and the same level of voice acting, it would have been the game of the decade.

Where TLOU is very much lacking is on the gaming part. It's quite dumb and repetitive. No actual puzzle, the challenge is to find the exit of each map and that either involves sneaking past and optionally taking out humans or zombies (or infected, as they call them, like in 28 days later or world war z) and / or getting to the cut-scene that will give you access to the next area. Quite limited.

Also, there are quite a lot "dragon's lair" moments, as I call them. Dragon's lair was an experimental video game which was about watching an interactive cartoon and pressing the joystick button at the right moment. Well, in TLOU, there are many of those inept moments when you're asked to repeatedly press a key so that the cut-scene can go on. Most of the time, there's no challenge, no consequence and it mostly feels like a way to make sure you haven't fallen unsleep while the story goes on. Probably aimed at people with ADHD.

You can upgrade your characters and your weapons so that the game gets easier, but it doesn't affect the strategy you may use. There are a lot of things that are off like the companions walking on the feet of your enemies while you're sneaking, or the cut-scene showing your characters running away from something when you actually left a pile of body behind you and didn't feel any kind of hurry. Elements like gathering artifacts, pendants, and comics are... well... tedious and no fun at all. But I guess ND wanted to make sure you would explore every part of their gorgeous environments. In the end it doesn't help immersion. It's kind of weird being able to (somehow having to) waste a lot of time searching every corners when you're supposed to be on a mission of some kind. The scavenging part is very badly integrated and feels gratuitous.

That said, there are very strong moments in that story, even though the narration can feel quite sketchy. The winter part is probably my favorite, despite a rather clumsy narration, it succeeds in bringing intense emotions in its conclusion.

It's really a casual gamer's game, although a classy one. It also looks like a technical demo, although performed on rather dated hardware. But mostly, it's a piece of art that has video game elements in it.
  3. Jul 28, 2014
    As a walking simulator, 10/10. As a video game, 6/10. Most of the game is a mixture of perambulatory locomotive dislocation with a few moments of hide-run-shoot. I liked the style of the snowy villa area and boss, but the bulk of the decrepit architecture and overall world design made me realize that maybe, just maybe, meandering around the end of the world isn't the entertainment festAs a walking simulator, 10/10. As a video game, 6/10. Most of the game is a mixture of perambulatory locomotive dislocation with a few moments of hide-run-shoot. I liked the style of the snowy villa area and boss, but the bulk of the decrepit architecture and overall world design made me realize that maybe, just maybe, meandering around the end of the world isn't the entertainment fest everyone knows it will be. Expand
  4. Sep 13, 2014
    The Last of Us is a game that many people claim to be one of the greatest games in history based almost solely on a singular aspect of it -- its story. When you get down to it though, even the story is nothing that we haven't seen before, and does nothing to drastically change the landscape of future games. In other words, despite being a good and enjoyable game, it is not a "masterpiece."The Last of Us is a game that many people claim to be one of the greatest games in history based almost solely on a singular aspect of it -- its story. When you get down to it though, even the story is nothing that we haven't seen before, and does nothing to drastically change the landscape of future games. In other words, despite being a good and enjoyable game, it is not a "masterpiece." 10 years down the road, when people really take the time to think about what this game did for the video game industry, they will realize that it is not as glorious or revolutionary as the often-times polarized user reviews would say. Sure, it had a good story with some brilliant voice acting. Sure it had decent combat mechanics and great visuals. But did it do anything that we haven't seen before? Sadly, it did not. We've seen great voice performances in video games before. We've seen post apocalyptic survival (dare I say, "zombie") games with good stories before. We've seen great graphics before. Despite its good characteristics, this game did not provide any experience that made it dominate the other great games of the generation.

With all that being said, I am not trying to "bash" or "hate" on this game. Rather, I am trying to give a realistic representation of the experience that any casual, hardcore, or average gamer who has not played this game before can expect. Do not go into this game thinking that it will change your life - it won't. You will, however enjoy it for what it's worth.
  5. Feb 6, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game and great storyline. Unfortunately, one of the programmers probably either quit or catched a flu so his 4 year old son had to take over.

Because i cant think of any other reason why they made a great game and screwed up badly at the restaurantfight with Ellie. Apparently they ran out of inspiration on how to create a decent and balanced "bossfight" and just decided "hey, since i cant be arsed to write a decent AI for this fight, so lets just give the boss unlimited ammo, a wallhack so he can see through walls and let him just run and move without being visible when Ellie is listening.
    I played this part of the game several times to test and no matter where you hide, that guy just "by coincidence" knows exactly where you are and no matter where in the restaurant he is, he walks straight towards your hiding place.

It makes playing this part of the game as joyfull as playing COD with several wallhackers/aimbots.

Too bad because the rest of the game is very good and addictive (except from a few rediculous glitches that is)
  6. May 29, 2015
    The game gets a lot of praise for it's story. Why? I don't know. It's a rather average zombie story (infected are basically zombies). For a game it's story is not terrible, but when the story is your attraction you should offer more. Gameplay is uninventive and bland. Graphics are good.
  7. Jan 8, 2016
    I feel that The Last of Us is overrated. The graphics and sound were both very well done, as was the story, but I found the gameplay quite repetitive and tedious. The Last of Us utilizes stealth, which functions well, but the AI isn't the best, which takes a little bit away from it. The aspect that really makes me frown upon the game is the amount of time dedicated to carrying ladders andI feel that The Last of Us is overrated. The graphics and sound were both very well done, as was the story, but I found the gameplay quite repetitive and tedious. The Last of Us utilizes stealth, which functions well, but the AI isn't the best, which takes a little bit away from it. The aspect that really makes me frown upon the game is the amount of time dedicated to carrying ladders and shoving around crates to climb over obstacles. A third of the damn game was spent lugging around heavy objects so Joel could continue on finding more crates to shove, more repetitive combat, or another boring cutscene. Naughty Dog did, however, hit the atmosphere right on the head, and come up with a fairly good story, although it's nothing revolutionary. They also did a great job with the voice acting and the game's characters in general. I might've reviewed it a little harshly, but I don't feel it quite deserves an eight. Expand
  8. Jun 14, 2013
    Just completed the game in one sitting, took me 12 hours.

Just completed the game in one sitting, took me 12 hours.

The game is good. It's not great nor does it live up to the hype created around it. The graphics are very mediocre. Maybe it's just me because I'm used to FullHD resolution with AntiAliasing and Anisotropic Filtering on PC, but the game looked quite bad in some places. Low res textures, vegetation on most places is not an actual object, just some leaves painted on the texture. The game runs only in 720p which made it look even worse on my 24" fullHD monitor, aliasing was everywhere. Additionally you can see the frame rate dropping to around 15-20 FPS, especially during some places in the cities. This makes it extremely hard to navigate and aim.

Like I said, I completed the game after 12 hours and... it hanged after the credits screen. I could go to start menu but couldn't load, save or quit the game, so I had to shut down the game through PS menu. Started it up again to see what bonuses I unlocked by completing the game and... my save was gone. So yeah, I'm quite pissed off right now, 12 hours for nothing. Nice quality assurance testing there.

Now, onto the game itself. The story is nowhere near as driving and immersing as the one in "The Walking Dead", which I consider the best adventure game I ever played. There are a few good moments, but most of the time the game play is limited to running around buildings collecting items and shooting bandits. The cut scenes are awesome, the voices and animations are really good, but there's not that many of them. I wish the story was narrated better and didn't just skip through parts. The story is 100% linear, as far as I know, there are no choices in game you can make to affect the story, so there is no re-playability value what-so-ever. In the end I never got attached to any of the characters like I did in "The Walking Dead".

I liked the character of Ellie, although because I couldn't make any choices on how to interact with her and Joel is an a-hole most of the time, I never made that "bond" which would make me miss her even outside the game. Throughout the game you can sometimes stop and talk to Ellie, but it is so rare event that it doesn't really add anything to the experience, especially that you have no control over what they talk about and it's usually just small talk about surroundings or recent events. The ending is disappointing, but I guess you'll just have to figure this one on your own.

Developers advertised the game with the AI that is clever and it will try to outsmart you. Ha, what a joke. The AI completely ignores your companions, they can run in front of a bandit and the guy couldn't care less. Enemies actually try to take alternative routes to get you and flank you, but most of the time they just barge into the room and stand there thinking "now what?". Your companions are pretty much invisible when sneaking, so you don't really have to care about them unless they are grabbed by an enemy. This made me really detach from my character and I didn't really care for my companions much.

There are also some design problems I do not really understand like weapon mechanics. Shivs are used to kill the clickers, but you lose them every time you use them, like ammo. Since when are knives one use only? Same with some of the melee weapons, steel pipes go bad after 7 hits. Some weapons are badly unbalanced, like the shotgun. In later stages of the game, where soldiers have bulletproof vests and helmets it can take up to 4 shotgun body shots to kill one soldier from about 4-5 meters away. To make it more ridiculous max ammo for the shotgun is like 16 rounds.

Overall, it's not a bad game, but it isn't nowhere the GOTY and I think the 10/10 reviewers didn't play through the whole game. About half way into the game I was already tired of collecting the same items over and over again and playing hide and seek with the bandits on stages clearly designed for combat (scattered objects to use as cover which are placed so obviously, upon seeing them you know there will be enemies around). I was hoping for another experience like in "The Walking Dead" but unfortunately I am very disappointed.

+ Good script and game setting
    + Awesome, but rare cut scenes
    + Environments
    + Animations and voice acting
    + Ellie character

- Graphics
    - Linear and very predictable story
    - Lack of interactivity with the characters
    - Dumb AI
    - Some game mechanics
  9. Jun 14, 2013
    If you played The Walking Dead, you can skip this. If not, go play it instead of this.
    The Walking Dead has actual, meaningful choices unlike this game. You pretty much do what the game tells you to, and that works for something like Uncharted but not this game. The Walking Dead set the bar for the Zombie theme and this game is not even coming close to it.
    The gameplay itself is even
    The gameplay itself is even worse. Horrible gun play, terrible and unreliable stealth mechanics, bad immersions because your companions can stand face to face with every enemy because they only can see your character. As a huge Uncharted and The Walking Dead fan, I can NOT undertastand how this game got this high score.
  10. Jun 15, 2013
    Very good graphics, story, sound & gameplay.

Why the low score? I played the game on release day and because Naughty Dog failed to set up their servers correctly I lost over 4 hours of gameplay due to the autosave bug. I've lost the desire to re play the four hours lost so soon after playing through it. My fault for expecting a working product on release! I'd recommend playing
    Very good graphics, story, sound & gameplay.

Why the low score?

I'd recommend playing offline in case Naughty Dog mess up again. If we could turn the auto save function off or putting the auto save issues aside then this review changes to a 9.
  11. Jun 15, 2013
    Okay...so a 5 is what this game gets. And YES...I played it, today actually, after spending $60 and kicking myself afterwards. This game is all hype. I bought PS3 JUST to play this game. (I'm an X-Boxer) So disappointed. This is not really a Survival genre game, but a Shooter mainly. It absolutely mimics Uncharted...couple of minutes looking around, picking stuff up...and then shoot shootOkay...so a 5 is what this game gets. And YES...I played it, today actually, after spending $60 and kicking myself afterwards. This game is all hype. I bought PS3 JUST to play this game. (I'm an X-Boxer) So disappointed. This is not really a Survival genre game, but a Shooter mainly. It absolutely mimics Uncharted...couple of minutes looking around, picking stuff up...and then shoot shoot shoot for 30 minutes! Just some zombies thrown in, but not until like 2 hrs. in. If you want to buy this game with sweet memories of Dead Island or the Walking Dead (Telltale) in mind...please don't! This is Uncharted...period. Yes, the graphics are Beautiful! And I really do like the characters/storyline. I just think that a lot of us were mislead into thinking this game was something it's not. Shooter fans will love it! Quest lovers won't. Expand
  12. Jun 17, 2013
    THINGS I LIKED about the game:

*Awesome Graphics *voice acting is top of the line and much better than any other game out. *the idea of choosing to engage in fierce battles or keep it stealthy and quiet is great *the C.G is fantastic and emotional *controls are easy *love the display of post apocalyptic world *story line caught my attention very well THINGS I HATED about the
    THINGS I LIKED about the game:

*Awesome Graphics
    *voice acting is top of the line and much better than any other game out.
    *the C.G is fantastic and emotional
    *controls are easy
    *love the display of post apocalyptic world
    *story line caught my attention very well

THINGS I HATED about the game:

*too linear, no free environments, no free world, no open maps and side jobs.
    *you can not pick up weapons from bodies you just killed
    *if there was 10 enemies and you killed 5 and then got killed, you start the game with the remaining 5 and NOT all 10 enemies, which makes it stupid and easy to overcome obstacles.
    * there isn't a true value of survival. when you die, you start at the nearest checkpoint, which is never far from where you died.. it makes the player kinda careless about dying many times.
    * A.I is dumb, so many times my companions decide to run off on their own while i'm trying to sneak past clickers or hunters and get me exposed.
    *it get repetitious at times and feels you're doing the same stuff over and over.
  13. Jun 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Seriously? 10/10?
    Ok, here we go:
    Brilliant storyline? Yeah, right, old and grumpy ex-dad who lost his kid and young girl who suddenly is the only hope because she is immune to infection... well, that's something new... oh wait. NOT!
    Awesome game-play? But of course. Walk->Dialog->Fight clicker soldier bandit Smalltalk Walk Move trashcan plank ladder Repeat (also, linear, linear, linear)
    Crafting? Awesome again. Use binding and blade to create a one-use knife. Is this blade made of paper? And the best of all... use rag and alcohol to create molotov or... HEALTH KIT! :D
    Unpredictable plot? After 30 minutes in game I made a bet with my friend that Tess will be bitten and she will die in "heroic" AND that Ellie will be immune to infection... guess what, winning beer was delicious.
    Character development... right. Collect 30 pills to increase reloading.
    Weapon modifications... right again. Collect 25 "PARTS" to expand clip size. COME ON, Dead Island had way better crafting.
    Ok, environment is quite nice, graphics is not the best I've ever seen.
    And last but not least. There was PLENTY of ammo and I've finished the game with a lot of bullet still in my backpack.
    P.S. I don't have XBOX, and I don't like XBOX
    P.S2 I was playing on the highest difficulty
    P.S3 I like Uncharted series
  14. Jun 23, 2013
    i don"t really see why the game is so good the voice acting is great but the game play lacks after 2 or 3 hours you do the same thing shoot or stealth kill 5 or 10 bad guys move along have some dialog while walking around a small area to find more supplies. the crafting is Very limited you get like 6 things to craft that's it. the story is ok its not like you cant get it from another gamei don"t really see why the game is so good the voice acting is great but the game play lacks after 2 or 3 hours you do the same thing shoot or stealth kill 5 or 10 bad guys move along have some dialog while walking around a small area to find more supplies. the crafting is Very limited you get like 6 things to craft that's it. the story is ok its not like you cant get it from another game or movie. some of the dialog that you have whit Ellie is funny but gets old. the environments are bleak and depressing like when you walk into spores you can't see anything. the navigation is crap you wander around to find there's always only one way you can take to get some where. the bad guys suck all generic and they all take 4 to 5 shots to kill why, if you screw up they should die in 2 to 3. the clickers there and interesting type but to make them insta kill you then you put 3 to 5 in one room unless you find 75 pills you will want to rip your hair out. over all the game is sub-par at best all you need to do to get a story like this plus game play is play metal gear solid, resident evil, and metro 2033 or the new metro and cluster them together and you get the last of us Expand
  15. Jun 26, 2013
    First let me say that this game is good, it's not great. You might think your playing the excellent uncharted series as it feels like it quite a lot of the time. It looks good but underneath the fancy graphics its pretty basic. Games seem to be becoming more and more easy and this is too easy. Survivor mode is disabled until you beat the game. The enemy AI is so forgiving and you mightFirst let me say that this game is good, it's not great. You might think your playing the excellent uncharted series as it feels like it quite a lot of the time. It looks good but underneath the fancy graphics its pretty basic. Games seem to be becoming more and more easy and this is too easy. Survivor mode is disabled until you beat the game. The enemy AI is so forgiving and you might find your given health out of nowhere just because they don't want you to get frustrated. I should say the voice acting is brilliant, though the supporting characters you meet along the way are dull and boring. Its the game play I care about, that kind of stuff should be good, considering how much money was spent on the game. Long gone are the games where you work your ass off to finally get to the big bad this just leaves you saying is that it! Expand
  16. Jul 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, this is my first serious review and I would really appreciate if all of you could tell me if you find this review helpful or good at all as I wish to be a game reviewer someday.

Okay, now let me start by saying that this game is by no means a bad game, in fact it's a great one.
    The game-play is great, the graphics are stellar and the story is simply amazing.
    Now you may be asking yourself as to why I'm giving it a 7 out of 10 if I think it's such a great game, the reason behind this is because the control scheme at first is a little more that difficult to get around, R1 to reload while but only when you're not aiming, I seriously had a problem with that.

Another Problem I found is that the Clickers have an instant-kill move, and that's understandable since they're Super-Zombies and such, but it becomes frustrating when you've died 5 times in the same spot because of it, this is especially noticeable on the 'Hard' setting when they become neigh impossible to kill because you don't have a shank or the resources to make any.

Several times throughout the game I found myself having to sneak my way thorough an area full of infected only to find that to get into the next area, I would have to kill them all, this is a big problem in a game with stealth being one of the main focuses, you cannot put an obligatory stealth section in a game and the force the players to turn around and kill all of the enemies they had just sneak past because an object you have to move makes a lot of noise, yet again these sections became annoying because on hard mode, you'll find yourself dying extremely fast.

Yet another downside is that HARD MODE IS TOO HARD!
    Now obviously Hard mode is going to be Hard, I mean, the game-mode says Hard so what were you expecting?
    Anyway, the reason why this is on here is because games are meant to be a fun experience, not a frustrating one, even on hard difficulty you should be able to pass certain parts of the game without having to lower your game-mode because you don't have the resources necessary to pass it on hard mode.

One more problem, the big one, Spoilers wait ahead so if you haven't finished it don't read past this point!

The ending is a mess.
    A big one at that.
    At the end of the game, Joel becomes emotionally invested in Ellie, seeing her as sort of second daughter, and when at the end of the game he is told that to create the vaccine, Ellie would have to die, Joel reacts in a completely immoral way, he kills 3 innocent people, one a doctor, the other two being Nurses who beg for their lives before Joel kills them without batting an eye. Joel takes Ellie, humanities only known chance for a cure and to rebuild humanity to what it once was, Kills a person who wanted to find the cure and help save what's left of humanity and secure it's future of survival, all of that because he sees it as humanity doesn't deserve a second chance, because his daughter was killed at the start of the game and he sees it as the world owing him another daughter.

The ending is an ending that some will hate and some will like, it's all in what you, the player believe is right, I was once asked a question, If you had the chance to save 1 of your family members, all of your friends family members, or 250 random strangers, what would you do?
    Choose your 1 family member, save your friends family, or save 250 random people, for me, I would save the 250 people as I believe that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

In the end it's what you believe is right, Joel believes it's right to save one person and ruin humanities chance of survival, the Fireflies Believe that Humanity deserves a second chance.

In conclusion, there is no real 'good' guy or 'bad' guy in this game, The Military is trying to keep people safe by making them live in areas where there's security, but it's strict and you don't have much free will.

The Fireflies rebel against the Military and smuggle goods so that the can have a chance at making a cure and securing humanities fate.

The Bandits are doing what they can to keep their little communities alive, even if they have to murder others who are just trying to survive.

And Joel is trying to get back what he lost, his Daughter.

Everyone's trying to survive the best way they see fit.

Overall, a great experience with a twist on the 'Zombie' Genre, amazing visuals and great game-play with a little too steep of a difficulty curve.

-Bryton Whitford De Azevedo
  17. Jul 5, 2013
    Fantastic, emotional, tense. The Last of Us provides the opportunity for real immersion, provided you are willing to let yourself be sucked into the story and care for your characters. One of the main protagonists, Joel, provides the emotionally battered, steel wall figure, while Ellie challenges the armour he shrouds himself in. Cliché? Yes of course it is, but the voice acting andFantastic, emotional, tense. The Last of Us provides the opportunity for real immersion, provided you are willing to let yourself be sucked into the story and care for your characters. One of the main protagonists, Joel, provides the emotionally battered, steel wall figure, while Ellie challenges the armour he shrouds himself in. Cliché? Yes of course it is, but the voice acting and animation, while not necessarily the best that's ever been seen, especially given graphics produced on earlier technologies (see FFX cutscenes on PS2), provoke an emotional response and sense of attachment regardless. In terms of dark, gritty storytelling interspersed with feel good respite, this is one of the finest games I have ever played, and it's all thanks to the atmosphere.
    However, before you rush out to buy this game, be warned! If you play games for gameplay, give this one a miss. Yes for the first hour or so the combat and stealth is very tense and trying, but once the limits of the AI have been revealed, the game descends into a fairly tedious exercise of stick and move, with even critical errors in judgement not being heavily punished. Survivor difficulty adds an extra layer of fun, however, with supplies being incredibly limited and the "hearing" x-ray ability being removed altogether, making the experience much more intense.
    Some will live for the stealth gameplay, others will find this progress tedious and unfulfilling but thankfully the game provisions for both elements, thus aiding in reducing the tedium. Extras like notes and voice recordings add depth for those who, like me, enjoy immersing themselves into the story.

Overall I'd have to say that while this game provides fairly average gameplay and a tired and cliché story, the execution of of both is fantastic. Better gameplay and a more original premise would have made this game truly unique and put it up among the timeless greats like FFVII and Silent Hill 2, but even so this is a hugely entertaining game and was for me a 10/10 experience.
  18. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is so overrated, it's even hard to believe people can't see it. It's just a rather short and mediocre story in a linear shooter.
    Boring "puzzles" of 3 types find a raft for Ellie, find a ladder/crate to climb, find a generator to power stuff up. This is it. And you do it over and over and over, when you are not shooting.
    Shooting in this game is among the least enjoyable I've seen. Console shooting MUST have target assistance, even minor. Red Dead Redemption had it, Infamous had it, Borderlands had it. Their shooting is enjoyable. Last of Us is not. Moments when I had to pull my gun were the most painful experience in this game.
    Stealth could be ok if you were the only character on screen. But when you sit behind cover and see your NPC companion running right in front of enemies and they don't see them... well, let's say, it breaks immersion.
    Characters, aside from main two, are plain and their outcome is very predictable. And as for main ones, once you understand how this game works, you stop caring about main characters you know nothing will happen to them. Creators were too obsessed about not hurting somebody's feelings to add decent amount of violence needed for this game, especially when it comes to Ellie, the underaged character.
    The story was generic, you don't see any plot twists you don't expect. It takes very long time to get interesting, and when it finally starts to seem promising... credits. You see credits. The game ends. I swear, when I saw the final cutscene, I was 100% sure I'm about half done at most. And then bang credits. It was the biggest "WTF?" since Mass Effect 3 in my life.

On a positive note, graphics are good, and I mean really good. It IS the prettiest game on PS3 to date.
    Music is nice as well. Nothing memorable, but it was good.

Overall the game was a disappointment, especially after the high expectations set by all the reviews out there. It was just a pretty shooter with no drama. I've never regretted wasting 60$ on a game that much in my life. Rental at most.

Overrated.
  19. Jul 26, 2013
    When I saw the reviews for this game, I though it would be great. But the game is so repetitive, you just shoot the same zombies over and over again. This game does not deserve a 10/10.
  20. Aug 31, 2013
    seriously? the universal praise on this is baffling. great story and visuals crippled by cheap play mechanic one hit kills. no thank you. keep your boxy, repetitive environments. this is little more than pac man hiding under layers of sheen (stunted, grim, cliched post apocalyptic sheen)
  21. Sep 4, 2013
    The biggest issue with this AAA title is that due to its heavy focus on story-telling that it forgets to be a game first and an interactive film second. The game plays great and all but through out the whole campaign, it fails to go anywhere with it but rather keep players in a repetition of collecting items and shooting enemies. Of course, the game offers a variety in ways you encounterThe biggest issue with this AAA title is that due to its heavy focus on story-telling that it forgets to be a game first and an interactive film second. The game plays great and all but through out the whole campaign, it fails to go anywhere with it but rather keep players in a repetition of collecting items and shooting enemies. Of course, the game offers a variety in ways you encounter enemies but not enough to keep its gameplay interesting. It could have easily avoided such redundancy by introducing new gameplay mechanics or new enemies or boss encounters in the mid game to keep things fresh and make gameplay more engaging. The whole campaign felt very flat. The last section of gameplay felt very anti-climatic. It was a bit more challenging than the rest of the game but it wasn't much different from what you were doing the entire time. Stealth, kill, collect items, repeat over and over. The online mode is nice but that won't save the main campaign from its mediocrity.
    If they ever make a sequel, I hope they'll make a better game than a better interactive b-movie.
  22. Oct 4, 2013
    I got really bored by this game quickly. I think it shares in concept a lot with Telltale's Walking Dead Game. But I found the Walking Dead Game way more impactful, emotional, interesting and fun. It has the same feeling as Call of Duty of being on an Amusement park ride where you're locked onto one track with only the illusion of choice. The gameplay is incredibly boring and not fun justI got really bored by this game quickly. I think it shares in concept a lot with Telltale's Walking Dead Game. But I found the Walking Dead Game way more impactful, emotional, interesting and fun. It has the same feeling as Call of Duty of being on an Amusement park ride where you're locked onto one track with only the illusion of choice. The gameplay is incredibly boring and not fun just to arrive at another cut scene. I think maybe just watch all the cut scenes on You Tube would provide the best way to get the story if its as great as everyone says. Expand
  23. Oct 11, 2013
    I give this game a 5/10 because it contains only half the required components for a great videogame. The story was compelling, the characters were hilarious, and the graphics beautiful. However, that's all. The gameplay was identical to all the Uncharted games. You play a seemingly invincible character who slaughters hundreds of infected/bandits. And between sequences of mercilessI give this game a 5/10 because it contains only half the required components for a great videogame. The story was compelling, the characters were hilarious, and the graphics beautiful. However, that's all. The gameplay was identical to all the Uncharted games. You play a seemingly invincible character who slaughters hundreds of infected/bandits. And between sequences of merciless slaughter you got to watch a beautiful cutscene...Only for it to lead into another sequence of merciless slaughter. Rinse and repeat for 15 hours and that's 'The Last of Us."

Remove all those shooting sequences, what are you left with? A movie. If I wanted to watch movie I'd go to my local theater and pay 12 bucks as opposed to 60. "The Last of Us" lacks all the things needed to make it a videogame.

There's a one button crafting system that relies on the same three ingredients. That's only other game mechanic besides walking and shooting. (Oh and sometimes hiding and shooting.) The only puzzles in the game relied on floating pallets and witty banter. Sometimes moving a plank or two.

When I saw countless "10/10" scores, I was expecting something groundbreaking. I wanted to be as wowed as everybody else, I really did. But as the credits rolled, I had to search for a reason to like the game; and didn't come up with anything. I didn't feel rewarded for completing the game whatsoever.

For those curious, I played the game on easy because I feel that a good game should stand up on its own, regardless of the difficulty of the enemies.
  24. Oct 20, 2013
    In my opinion it only looks great. Story maybe is good but there is nothing new in it, we have seen it hundreds of time in movies about zombies! Also game it self is not very challenging and sometimes even boring. After first finish Im not going to do it again as I wont find anything new.
  25. Nov 11, 2013
    I found that this game was massively over hyped to be a zombie survival game. But if you ask me there is only serving at the beginning. But after a while it just gets stupid, like you can have lots of guns a huge backpack and a hell alot of ammo. While the title is called the Last of us, there seems to be lots of people still left. The retard supper zombies is a bad idea they can one hitI found that this game was massively over hyped to be a zombie survival game. But if you ask me there is only serving at the beginning. But after a while it just gets stupid, like you can have lots of guns a huge backpack and a hell alot of ammo. While the title is called the Last of us, there seems to be lots of people still left. The retard supper zombies is a bad idea they can one hit kill you, which seems to be the way that I die the most. Also Ellie is pointless although she can be helpful the AI doesn't take note of her. Expand
  26. Dec 22, 2013
    I feel that this game would have been better served had it been purely designed as a point and click adventure game. The story and pacing was well executed, the actors all did an amazing job with their performances. Unfortunately the game is weighed down by generic and downright forgettable gameplay.

Much of the action felt bland and in fact really didn't add much to the overall

Much of the action felt bland and in fact really didn't add much to the overall narrative. While it's great to see more games with deeper storylines, the designers have to step up their game to be on par with the writers on the team.

In the end of the day, it's a rental as it really is light on the replayability so I can't recommend the game as a purchase unlike most people. For what it offers though it is worth a single playthrough though, you really owe it to yourself at least.
  27. Jan 21, 2014
    An absolutely amazing game from what little I've been able to play. Only reason it didn't get a 10 was the fact that after getting around 25% of the way thru the game started glitchung and then would crash and have literally spent more time trying to fox that then playing the game on its own.
  28. Apr 18, 2014
    Ok, but really overrated and me personally, could care less for this game. I found the plot to be extremely unique and well developed getting better and better as the game progress. The game play i found ok, but nothing really new and interesting. I personally found the game play to be more like a survival game. Now to conclude, If you like survival games, then this is a game for you. IOk, but really overrated and me personally, could care less for this game. I found the plot to be extremely unique and well developed getting better and better as the game progress. The game play i found ok, but nothing really new and interesting. I personally found the game play to be more like a survival game. Now to conclude, If you like survival games, then this is a game for you. I understand people But for me i just don't care about this game so much. Expand
  29. Jul 18, 2014
    Played it as my first ever PS3 game and had to note that if you aren't mastering the controller to the level that your basal ganglia takes partly over the conscious cortex functions, the game is near impossible in certain situations. The story is not typical hollywood and has some deeper moments, which is good. However, there are several logical fallacies -most importantly it sounds thatPlayed it as my first ever PS3 game and had to note that if you aren't mastering the controller to the level that your basal ganglia takes partly over the conscious cortex functions, the game is near impossible in certain situations. The story is not typical hollywood and has some deeper moments, which is good. However, there are several logical fallacies -most importantly it sounds that the writer had no input from someone with medical/molecular biology background making for instance the vaccine subtheme unreasonable. Sure, many player might not notice these problems. Regarding the story and gameplay would have wanted less linearity and more choices. Ah yes, and the followers (e.g. Ellie if playing as Joel) often gave too many hints IMHO. The best moments were when for one or another reason you had no followers and multiple choices to solve a situation. These moments were actually enjoyable. Expand
  30. Jul 22, 2014
    Don’t get fooled by the over the moon positive reviews. I think this game is overrated. It is a stealth zombie game full of post-apocalyptic clichés. And the stealth mechanic does not work all that well. It is hard remain undetected and if spotted you get exposed to a frustrating head-on fight with enemies attacking from any direction. The levels are big and most of the time there is noDon’t get fooled by the over the moon positive reviews. I think this game is overrated. It is a stealth zombie game full of post-apocalyptic clichés. And the stealth mechanic does not work all that well. It is hard remain undetected and if spotted you get exposed to a frustrating head-on fight with enemies attacking from any direction. The levels are big and most of the time there is no clear indication where to go. So you will want to kill all enemies in a cluster and then search for an exit, which makes true stealth game play difficult or even impossible. The game bored me too much. Mid-game I changed the difficulty to easy and forced myself to finish it. I wish I'd skipped this game. Count me out for The Last of Us 2 Expand
  31. Aug 15, 2014
    Unfortunately someone on here has to write a real review so here you go, you're welcome.

The Last of Us won over 200 GOTY awards. Don't forget that fact, no Sony fan will ever let you. Does that make it a good game? Absolutely not. As has come to be expected from Naughty Dog, The Last of Us excels in presentation. Truly, the art, overall graphics, animation, even the voice acting are

As has come to be expected from Naughty Dog, The Last of Us excels in presentation. Truly, the art, overall graphics, animation, even the voice acting are phenomenal. You won't find better than them in any other title. Beyond Two Souls is on par, but not better, when it comes to presentation. The dialogue seems legit and it is often times entertaining.

Unfortunately after you get over that, The Last of Us is nothing more than a meme-stuffed stroll through the drudgery of not only video game cliches, but also the rest of popular media. Comparisons have been made to Cormac McCarthy and the similarity is only cosmetic if you examine the Road and TLOU side by side. Comparisons can be made to The Book of Eli, I Am Legend, and literally every other zombie movie that has ever been made - because that's what this is, an emulation of the zombie genre, but not a parody.

The gameplay in The Last of Us is absolutely mind numbing. Whether it's the lack of variety or the overall redundancy of every single segment save the very first 20 minutes of the game, there is absolutely nothing entertaining about it. As the game progresses you are simply playing a movie and the only way to progress it is to get from cutscene to cutscene. Once you realize this, you'll also come to the realization that just like Uncharted, the Last of Us is an overrated blockbuster whose merits come from technical accomplishment - and not from actual gameplay, which should be the defining characteristic of a video game.

Ignoring the plot holes involving Ellie and Joel, the gameplay changes once you switch characters, but only for about 20 minutes, and not in any way that should be remotely unfamiliar to survival horror enthusiasts. After that, the gameplay changes again from a somewhat stealth driven survival game into a flat out murder simulator, just like Uncharted, and it sheds all former pretense of being interesting, ending in one ridiculous shootout sequence that would give Uncharted 3 a run for its money.

The only saving grace to the gameplay is the multitude of multiplayer modes. Essentially it is just team deathmatch, but the survivalist aspects of the game and the moderate realism have been worked in to make it truly interesting while at the same time hilarious. I've never played another game where someone beating me to death with a plank of wood was so hilarious - whether because it's stupidly overpowered or a riot to watch.
  32. Nov 25, 2014
    Action is predictable, same enemies on different maps, same ways to kill them. Bad crafting system.
    Story, good but boring after played a while.
    Great graphics for ps3.
  33. Dec 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For starters, this game is OK, but not good enough to justify a 60 usd buy.

Ellie is greatly made and lively, but the rest, specially Joel, are pretty bland and predictable. The plot has it's ups and downs, more downs to me than ups. The script forces the player to make only one decision (like when you have to pass the hunter's barracade on chapter six, I tried to pass stealthly, and there was NO WAY to pass it, if I didn't kill every hunter, just because a cutscene needed to be triggered, or the ending itself), making the game pretty narrow. Also, the story tries so hard to slap you in the face that has realistic characters and plotline, and falls short with some Deux ex machina, like when Joel JUST HAPPENED to wake up to rescue Ellie, being kidnapped by the hunters.
    Also, i felt the story and storywriter was laughing at me when the last part of the game starts. The investigations tend to "support" the desitions of the fireflys to, litteraly, disect Ellie's brain to produce a "cure", killing her on the process saying that no samples could last (that's a first insult to the intelect of the player), yet also investigations allegate that scientists couldn't recreate a monkey specimen to produce that inmunology, so they didn't know what where they doing, so basicly they are killing the ONLY SHOT they have to save humanity to make something they don't know if it is going to work (because, SCIENCE!), just to trigger Joel to kill everyone, despite he wanted to dump Ellie 3 times and just bounded on the last part, letting you understand that He sees Ellie like a new daughter (was SO notorious to me that was a plot resource, that not only felt insulted again, but too bland and obvious, letting me see that this game was completly artificial, crushing one of the selling points of the game). That last part, literally, ruined most of the game for me, letting a sour taste, and a "avant garde" ending that felt more like a final insult.
    Despite that, there are moments that are really great, on the notes and the sidestories you could only read (the notes of Ish are not only really eerie, but really lively)
    The gameplay is, really, pretty standard, but overall well made. The shooting mechanics feels ok, and most of the time the game feels that you are in control. Yet, I have my complains, like stealth mechanics, as I said before, feel broken. Sometimes almost made it too easy, feeling like a gost to some clickers, and then other times, like on the graveyard, felt that those clickers triggered over nothing.
    The crafting and upgrade system is well made. Nothing too revolutionary, but well implemented.
    There are a lot of one-hit deaths, specially with clickers. I never stop feeling that they where just cheap deaths to make the game longer, and not a difficulty issue. Also other enemies are just braindead (despite of some literally being braindead), making this game being easy, with some peaks in certain parts of the game, which most of those parts, you don't have alternative to kill it, what a surprise.
    Also, this game really likes you to move stuff to transport Ellie to point A to B, making a this an escort game, but is not as annoying as other games are, but not defintly on the level of Alex from HL2.
    The graphics are great... for a PS3. Being a PC gamer, this game wasn't exactly eye candy, but the design, and some details and enviorments, are goregous, and in fact too gourgous that is easy to get lost.
    The level desing was hit and miss. The game tries too hard to make you feel that you are in a wide world, that is full of life, but is plaged with unreasonable walls, and felt really narrow. Also, sometimes it wasn't clear what you are capable to go or where you have to go, and in the end, the game only wants you to kill everyone on place.

Despite of some details, this game is not really bad, despite I almost spent writing on the negative side, but not really a "BEST GAME OF ALL TIME" for me. May be I was too hyped and overshoot my spectations, and made me really dissappointed that some details are so well made, and the most part are just average, and even bad sometimes.

I really think this game will be dated in a couple of years, like happened wit Perfect dark, Chrono Cross and some more.
  34. Mar 6, 2015
    the game filled with good stuff and overall looks great but when I look at the game as a whole I just dont like it.

maybe I just got too hyped and my anticipation were too high? or maybe I just got sick of all the other stealth apocalypse horror survival games? The game is full of beautiful cutsences. well, maybe there's too mcuh of those, which makes it feel like a long movie

maybe I just got too hyped and my anticipation were too high?

The game is full of beautiful cutsences. well, maybe there's too mcuh of those, which makes it feel like a long movie rather then a game.

It seems like they worn off uncharted to make it more stealth like but at the half way through decided to eventually drop this idea too.
    There are a lots of elements to the game like crafting and exploring, but neither of them feels satisfying or extraordinary.

5 is exactly in the middle of 0-10, and I could not describe it any better - its just an average game.
    I would even give it less, because of the problem with the too many cutsences, or the generacity of the story, but the fact thats its pretty polished and made with high quality im giving it extra points.
  35. Oct 13, 2015
    The word to describe The Last Of Us is, "Underwhelming." It has nothing truly memorable or of genuine substance about it. The story is uninspired and bland, the characters, (While not dull, per say,) are unlikable, the combat is shallow and derivative and Dear God, the QTES. Is this game horrendous? Absolutely not. Is it a game I would recommend buying? No. If you own the game and it makesThe word to describe The Last Of Us is, "Underwhelming." It has nothing truly memorable or of genuine substance about it. The story is uninspired and bland, the characters, (While not dull, per say,) are unlikable, the combat is shallow and derivative and Dear God, the QTES. Is this game horrendous? Absolutely not. Is it a game I would recommend buying? No. If you own the game and it makes you happy, by all means, I encourage you to continue playing it. However, if you want to take my word for it, there are many other games more worthy of your time, money and effort. Expand
  36. May 22, 2016
    Boring and mediocre. A game based on the already dying zombie genre, the last of does contain good graphics, good character development, and decent gameplay. I played the last of us on grounded mode which gave off a similar atmosphere to that of the resident evil series. The game took about 16 hours to complete but was a total waste of time. I was unable to connect with the characters.Boring and mediocre. A game based on the already dying zombie genre, the last of does contain good graphics, good character development, and decent gameplay. I played the last of us on grounded mode which gave off a similar atmosphere to that of the resident evil series. The game took about 16 hours to complete but was a total waste of time. I was unable to connect with the characters. The plot of the story was far too plain. Get chased by zombies (infected) or get chased by bandits. The story is really just about you running away. People who believe this game is good is only saying that because they wasted their money and wanted this game to be good so they kept telling themselves that it was. Either that or they don't know what a good game is. If you are looking to play a better game then pick up bio shock infinite. It came out in the same year and is far better than this game. If you could ask yourself in the future "Was this game worth it?" you would say no. I don't recommend buying the remastered edition for more than 20 dollars, its not worth it. Expand

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Sep 4, 2013
    Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]