• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jun 16, 2013
    Beautiful graphics, nice acting and writing and that tried-and-true Naughty Dog cinematic action brings a creepy, but shallow swan song to the PS3. I must admit I got tired of walking around in the pitch dark with my flashlight trying to find some arbitrary hole I'm supposed to climb through. I also was disappointed with the combat which, while tense at first, soon became a slog that iBeautiful graphics, nice acting and writing and that tried-and-true Naughty Dog cinematic action brings a creepy, but shallow swan song to the PS3. I must admit I got tired of walking around in the pitch dark with my flashlight trying to find some arbitrary hole I'm supposed to climb through. I also was disappointed with the combat which, while tense at first, soon became a slog that i wanted to get over with.
    The infected, with their fungal growths ripping through their bodies, are truly horrific and are bound to give me a nightmare or two.
    Really good game, but Uncharted 2 is Naughty Dogs masterpiece, in my opinion.
  2. Aug 28, 2013
    This game is as close to perfect as any game to date. The story is compelling and a tension unmatched in any other zombie games. I am normally bored by stealth games but the threat of immediate death makes you creep like you've never crept before. Light moments also release the pressure and give your pulse a chance to go down. I sold this game as soon as I completed it as I didn't want toThis game is as close to perfect as any game to date. The story is compelling and a tension unmatched in any other zombie games. I am normally bored by stealth games but the threat of immediate death makes you creep like you've never crept before. Light moments also release the pressure and give your pulse a chance to go down. I sold this game as soon as I completed it as I didn't want to taint the story. Loved this game, bring on a new story in a sequel. Expand
  3. Apr 5, 2014
    The Last of Us is a gorgeous and thrilling game with a superb story and great game mechanics. The graphics are stunning and the characters are very memorable and unique. In terms of gameplay mechanics, it plays like Uncharted without a cover system or a climbing system and much more brutal melee mechanics. It also has a superb multiplayer mode and a New Game+ mode to keep you playing afterThe Last of Us is a gorgeous and thrilling game with a superb story and great game mechanics. The graphics are stunning and the characters are very memorable and unique. In terms of gameplay mechanics, it plays like Uncharted without a cover system or a climbing system and much more brutal melee mechanics. It also has a superb multiplayer mode and a New Game+ mode to keep you playing after you finish the 12+ hour campaign. If you have a PS3, you MUST buy this game. Expand
  4. Jun 17, 2013
    To Every low score reviewer. 98% of you have nothing to say other than, 'this game is overrated.' You (the reviewers) aren't writing a legitimate review, it's more of a bashing. Some of you seem to write your negative review and somewhere in there write how Bioshock Infinite is a better game...come on, are we really going to take you people seriously. Clearly biased. Besides BioshockTo Every low score reviewer. 98% of you have nothing to say other than, 'this game is overrated.' You (the reviewers) aren't writing a legitimate review, it's more of a bashing. Some of you seem to write your negative review and somewhere in there write how Bioshock Infinite is a better game...come on, are we really going to take you people seriously. Clearly biased. Besides Bioshock infinite has a score of 9.4/8.5 so your argument is invalid. Giving this game a 0 is unnecessary. You clearly have a sour taste in your mouth. A game of this caliber does other deserve a zero. There are FAR worse. Let's just put it this way, your all haters.

-my review in a nutshell-
    Compelling story.
    Great graphics.
    Smooth game play.
    Entertaining Multiplayer.
  5. Jun 14, 2013
    Top 3 games of this generation imo... it's up there with BioShock Infinite and Uncharted 2. Emotional story, great graphics, great gameplay, great sound... nearly perfect.
  6. Jun 17, 2013
    This isn't just the best game of the year, but it's easily the best game of this console generation. Somehow Naughty Dog were able to push the PS3 beyond what Uncharted 2 & 3 did and managed to make the best looking PS3 game hands down. Quite honestly, this is next-gen game on the PS3 and it is breathtaking. Naughty Dog has also crafted a beautiful, emotional story that engages you fromThis isn't just the best game of the year, but it's easily the best game of this console generation. Somehow Naughty Dog were able to push the PS3 beyond what Uncharted 2 & 3 did and managed to make the best looking PS3 game hands down. Quite honestly, this is next-gen game on the PS3 and it is breathtaking. Naughty Dog has also crafted a beautiful, emotional story that engages you from the very beginning and doesn't let go until you reach a very emotional conclusion. The personality injected into Joel and Ellie is awe-inspiring. These aren't just characters in another video game; these are living breathing people that you care about deeply. Moving on, everything else about the game is top-notch. The A.I. is challenging and extremely smart. Quite a few times I thought I was safe behind cover, when an enemy would sucker punch me and cause me to rethink my strategy. The music is brilliant and used to great effect. The sound design overall is amazing, especially at creating suspense. The "Clickers" noise is especially eerie and you can't help but freeze and hide as soon as you hear it. The voice acting is also superb from the entire cast. There are a couple of glitches or oddities, like friendly NPCs walking through you or the fact that if your character is hiding, enemies will not react to your friendly NPCs running around looking for cover. These are forgivable though, considering that they are no such things as perfect games. Regardless, this game deserves a perfect score. One of the best games of the year. Definitely worth your time and money. I recommend you play this as soon as possible. Expand
  7. Sep 4, 2013
    This is the most amazing game i have ever played. Though looking forward to GTA V, this game will definitely be my second favorite game of all time. A little taste for PS4 and great graphics!! The story line is second to none. It's GREAT! It deserves full marks. It's not everyday you get a great game you could actually play, over and over again. Congrats Naughty Dog!
  8. Jun 28, 2013
    UNBIASED REVIEW HERE --
    (unlike the other rare hateful posts here)
    UNBIASED REVIEW HERE --
    (unlike the other rare hateful posts here)

This game was spectacular. I have not play The Walking Dead, but from what I've heard the two are very similar in the ways they present their story. After saying that, play this game on hard if you want the true survival feel which I believe this game needs to truly make an impact on the player. I normally don't get immersed in too many games' stories, but by playing this game on hard I found it really threw me into the game's atmosphere.

Story: 10
    Yes the story progresses slowly at first, it doesn't throw you into the action like a Call of Duty or Resident Evil game and that is a very good thing. This does not mean that the game's story is slow throughout, because it is not. The games story progresses at the perfect pace for a game such as this. The attachment you feel to the characters is perfect, and that is all I can say without dropping spoilers, but there are numerous times where you really feel for the characters.

Environment: 10
    The world of The Last of Us is almost a character of itself. The city sort of reclaiming itself after humanity has been removed is beautifully done. The game does not throw you into endless dark rooms with scary lighting just to impose forced horror elements, it actually presents a beautiful city that has its dark moments areas. When you talk through parts of the city and you see hints of civilization that used to be there, it really hits home that this is a post apocalyptic type environment. The city is beautiful amid all of the chaos and destruction.

Combat: 9
    The only reason I'm giving the combat a 9 and not a 10, is because at some points you feel as though you are going through the motions of eliminating the infected as you would normally eliminate them. I can't even provide a way for them to improve upon it, it just felt like it was missing something and I can't put my finger on what that would be.

Soundtrack: 10
    The minimalistic soundtrack to this game with the subtle guitar riffs was absolutely perfect. There isn't really much else I can say about it, because its just perfect.

Graphics: 9
    Yes, this game's graphics are good for PS3 standards. However while playing the game it becomes relatively evident that the PS3 is coming up on being six and a half years old. That is not saying the engine is bad, the lighting is phenomenal, the game engine is great, but there are times where the graphics have some odd noticeable outdated issues. Maybe its because this game came out after E3 and all the new flashy graphics games coming out.

In conclusion, I was honestly not a huge fan of the Uncharted series because it really just felt like Tomb Raider with more combat so I'm not jumping on the Naughty Dog bandwagon here. Capcom went on record saying the survival horror franchise was a dying game concept. Coming from an avid player of the survival horror franchise games, this game redefined the survival horror experience in an entirely new light for me and sort of says "your move capcom".
  9. Aug 23, 2014
    I don't understand the low scores some people have given to this game at all. IMO it is one of the best, if not THE best game I've ever played. I was so caught up in the story that I cried more than once. Yeah, some of the puzzle type things are repetitive - like finding pallets - but the story, the characters, the environments and the fighting more than make up for it - besides youI don't understand the low scores some people have given to this game at all. IMO it is one of the best, if not THE best game I've ever played. I was so caught up in the story that I cried more than once. Yeah, some of the puzzle type things are repetitive - like finding pallets - but the story, the characters, the environments and the fighting more than make up for it - besides you don't have a lot to work with after 20 years of a violent plague almost wiping out mankind. I liked finding ammo and things to craft with and, for me anyway, I found the sneaking and fighting very challenging on the Normal setting. I'm an avid 60 year old gamer and I'm not out to prove I can beat the game on super hard mode, I don't try for all the trophies and I'm not a trolling fan boy - I enjoy a good game with a great story and this game has it!!! In spades!! I'm on my 3rd go round and cannot stop playing it. The characters and the things they go through are so realistic. The voice acting is phenomenal and the other sounds in the environment are extremely realistic. The infected enemies are scary as **** and the human enemies are sometimes worse! It was very satisfying whacking the crap out of them with a melee weapon. I found the controls pretty easy once you got used to them. I did have to die a few times in some places but I always managed to figure out different strategies for killing all enemies and getting all loot.
    This game kept me interested all the way through and more - not like the disappointing Watch Dogs where I was bored to death after a few chapters - The Last of US is definitely worth your money and I can't wait for the upcoming movie I heard about. Joel and Ellie get my vote for the best voiced and best written characters in any video game ever made!!
  10. Jun 16, 2013
    Masterful. Environments are beautiful. Game play is deep. The characters are ones that you actually care for. And the story one of the best in gaming. The ending is truly amazing. You must play this game. It might not be for everyone, but if you've got no problems with some freaky mutated zombies, then play this game.
  11. Jun 17, 2013
    The Last of Us review:

Story: 10/10 A great story indeed, keep me hooked till the end, the characters are deep and the more they develop in the story you will find yourself really caring for their fate. A truly masterpiece of Survival Horror/Post Apocaliptic World. Visual: 10/10 I have never seen a game in ps3 (or any console) that looked better that this one, the light effects, the
    The Last of Us review:

Visual: 10/10 I have never seen a game in ps3 (or any console) that looked better that this one, the light effects, the detail in character modeling and the beautiful surrounding's Cities reclaimed by nature feels so alive) I just give this game MY 10+1 in this department.

Gameplay: 7/10 Here is where am going to punish The Last of Us. The gameplay in fact is a good one, you will find so much to do in The Last of Us (crafting weapons, getting upgrades) the fight's whit button smash/panic scene's feel's great and the combat systems is what you can spect meele weapons are easy to use but firearms will requiere more practice and that is good, because in RL shooting a gun/rifle is not as easy as most shooters/fps want to make us belive) Walking/running/climbing/swimming fells so natural and so real BUT there are some BIG issues whit the game mechanics. The most shocking/disappointing one is the cover/stealth system. I find myself many times not being discovered by enemy's even when my dumb AI partner walked in front of the enemy. My AI parner talking to me/other guy in a zone where there are sound sensitive enemies lurking around and amazingly they dont discover us if your character makes noise/walk in front of an enemy that is a different story). So this is a big big... no no no HUGE problem in the stealth game mechanics/partner AI system that must be solved right away by Naugty Dog.

Replay: 8/10 It's almost imposible to max upgrade your weapons/abilities in one gameplay, so this add replayability to The Last of Us, also the beautiful enviroments of the game/amazing story really invite us to take our controller and play again this title in the New Game+ mode.

Music/Voice Acting: 10/10 The voice acting in The Last of Us is simply amazing!!! You can really sense the mood/fellings of the characters and the agony/joy/sadness/etc they go through.

Overall: 9/10 A must have if u love deep story/rich characters/survival horror/uncharted games. A true contestant to Game of The Year 2013 that only need to tune up some game mechanics to be THE GAME.
  12. Jun 21, 2013
    This is the best game I have played in a very long time. I really cared for the characters in this game. The voice work, graphics and attention to detail is amazing. The only reason that I do not give this game a perfect score is that the AI can be a little unintelligent.
  13. Jun 30, 2014
    Great game, but nothing amazing. Story is the strong point of this game. Not sure why the reviews are so high... perhaps it's similarity to the Walking Dead. Game play is a little repetitive and ammo is too scarce. If you're a fan of zombies definitely try it out. Otherwise, I recommend the Uncharted games instead.
  14. Jun 27, 2013
    I have played the single player about 2 and a half times and not a second of got boring or repetitive. Great story, great graphics, great gameplay and solid AI. The multiplayer adds a good bonus to keep you playing and it in itself is unique. Their are very minor flaws such as AI sometimes break out of character but those quickly become an afterthought as the story will suck you back in.I have played the single player about 2 and a half times and not a second of got boring or repetitive. Great story, great graphics, great gameplay and solid AI. The multiplayer adds a good bonus to keep you playing and it in itself is unique. Their are very minor flaws such as AI sometimes break out of character but those quickly become an afterthought as the story will suck you back in. Totally worth $60 Expand
  15. Jun 22, 2013
    The game is fine, its okay. It is not an epic, revolutionary change as has been touted by so many. It plays like a more stealth-oriented Uncharted. There are no stakes, no risk of failure. The characters, story, gameplay and everything else fit neatly into cookie cutter molds. The game is good.

The multiplayer, however, is the biggest terd bowl I've seen in a long time online. Mismatched teams, bad options (like buying armor, which only benefits teams that are already ahead), confusing and tedious maps that you don't have a chance to learn until you've suffered your 80th losing match against people who play it constantly... even though its your first hour. Just pure garbage.
  16. Jun 17, 2013
    A truly brilliant game minus the awful upgrade system and terrible A.I for Ellie, not game of the year it has nothing on Bioshock infinite but never the less truly stunning. It is quite a shame that this isnt multiplatform, i would love to play it on PC
  17. Jul 11, 2013
    This game promises a lot and delivers little. Shallow gameplay, linear experience, boring and repetitive combats, poor exploration, and disappointing story. It is extremely overrated over the media, and it's a sign of our times. The gaming industry took a road of expensive and gorgeous games with poor gameplay and/or lack of exploration. This game is a result. The gaming-journalism took aThis game promises a lot and delivers little. Shallow gameplay, linear experience, boring and repetitive combats, poor exploration, and disappointing story. It is extremely overrated over the media, and it's a sign of our times. The gaming industry took a road of expensive and gorgeous games with poor gameplay and/or lack of exploration. This game is a result. The gaming-journalism took a road of hyping ad infinitum games before their release, and giving incredibly inflated scores once they're barely out. These reviews are the result. Where the monkey goes the ass- follows: Blind gamers will praise this. Don't be fooled: it's bad. Expand
  18. Aug 15, 2013
    To be completely honest it wasn't too... Well I often felt like doing anything else instead of playing it.
    I got fairly far into the game.
    The game was awesome! I would give it a great score but it wasn't as fun as everyone made it seem to be.
    But that's just me and everyone I got to try it...
    Have fun playing it everyone else who loves it! Have an awesome day.
  19. Aug 19, 2013
    Just finished playing the game. Apart from the emotional storyline and amazing graphics, the game have awesome Gameplay. Weapon crafting is one of the most interesting things about this game. Awesome combat with option to kill enemies with guns or silently. There are two points to be noticed if you want to enjoy this game at extreme level. One is you have to play the game in normal mode orJust finished playing the game. Apart from the emotional storyline and amazing graphics, the game have awesome Gameplay. Weapon crafting is one of the most interesting things about this game. Awesome combat with option to kill enemies with guns or silently. There are two points to be noticed if you want to enjoy this game at extreme level. One is you have to play the game in normal mode or higher. Second: dont read the story just play and it will keep on giving you surprises. Expand
  20. Aug 17, 2013
    The People reviewing this game really make me believe they are trolls. This game is one of thegreatest games ever made, the story is compelling, the characters are really likeable, the graphics are incredible and the twists and turns on the way keep you interested as the story unfolds. I would easily rate this game 11/10 as itis simply a complete masterclass in every aspect. Anyone thatThe People reviewing this game really make me believe they are trolls. This game is one of thegreatest games ever made, the story is compelling, the characters are really likeable, the graphics are incredible and the twists and turns on the way keep you interested as the story unfolds. I would easily rate this game 11/10 as itis simply a complete masterclass in every aspect. Anyone that hasn't played this game yet really is missing out on a massive scale. This game will be talked about in years to come and known as the game that saved the horror genre. To finish up I really believe Naughty Dog are the best in the business for story telling along beside Rockstar, but for your average or daily gamer, I can't reccomend this game any higher, I have been gaming for over 15 years and my experience on games is varied so I do know what I am talking about, this is a must have. Expand
  21. Aug 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is good, extremely good but a little overrated. The gameplay is a little stiff (we're coming for a borderline superhero called Nathan Drake & now we are with old man Joel) & well the ending is controversial. The game also lack spectacular moments (replaced by a ton of sad moments).

Aside from this, we got the best overall acting performance in a video game & an excellent design
  22. Nov 21, 2013
    The Last of Us was simply perfect for me. It convinces in every aspect: an incredibly touching story, awesome characters, a fun and challenging gameplay as well as really good graphics and (voice-)acting. I enjoyed it from the first to the last cutscene and could replay it again and again. In my eyes, it is a new milestone for the gaming industry and every upcoming adventure game will beThe Last of Us was simply perfect for me. It convinces in every aspect: an incredibly touching story, awesome characters, a fun and challenging gameplay as well as really good graphics and (voice-)acting. I enjoyed it from the first to the last cutscene and could replay it again and again. In my eyes, it is a new milestone for the gaming industry and every upcoming adventure game will be compared to TLoU. Expand
  23. Sep 2, 2013
    9.7/10. A game being my favorite really just depends on my mood and what I want from a game at a given time, but right now, TLOU is my favorite game, bar none. The combat mechanics are a bit shaky, true, but I didn't buy this game and start playing it for a shoot-em-up style. The character writing is fantastic. The game is very linear but it doesn't feel that way, because you're often left9.7/10. A game being my favorite really just depends on my mood and what I want from a game at a given time, but right now, TLOU is my favorite game, bar none. The combat mechanics are a bit shaky, true, but I didn't buy this game and start playing it for a shoot-em-up style. The character writing is fantastic. The game is very linear but it doesn't feel that way, because you're often left to consider what you need to do next. The relationship between Joel and Ellie, and the world that they're traveling through, is beautiful. The storywriting and setting are stunning. I don't know what it is, but seeing civilization break down and become overgrown and largely back-to-nature once more is beautiful.

And then there's Ellie. I wouldn't call it a character-crush, but rather almost a fatherly affection. She is living example that the state of affairs in the world doesn't ruin everyone; Ellie is basically untouched by what is happening around her, and you very much feel the need to protect her (and her innocence) and keep her safe. And it's quite sad, in a way, to watch her become more accustomed to the world. Not to mention, she (along with Joel of course) is quite well written.

The game was short, and does not have much replay-ability, but I'm on my second playthrough simply because I enjoy walking around and seeing the setting so much.

I understand that there are nitpicks about the gameplay that turn people off the game, and they're entitled to that, but I believe that the game was certainly worth its hype. You can't quite put a finger on how perfect it is.
  24. Sep 23, 2013
    This game is great. Combining survival elements with action adventure was a good pick for naughty dog. The graphics are fantastic and probablly the best looking game on PS3. First the characters are all very interesting and the acting is spot on. Gameplay is pretty good also. The story wasn't anything special but the characters make it so unique. And this game brings out the darkness inThis game is great. Combining survival elements with action adventure was a good pick for naughty dog. The graphics are fantastic and probablly the best looking game on PS3. First the characters are all very interesting and the acting is spot on. Gameplay is pretty good also. The story wasn't anything special but the characters make it so unique. And this game brings out the darkness in humanity. In this game their is no good guy. Joel is just like the hunters, he kills for a living. And this game has one of the most controversial endings to a game ever. The multiplayer is very good forcing you to use teamwork and your crafting items to defeat the enemy. In short this game is a masterpiece Expand
  25. Oct 21, 2013
    The Last of Us is the best zombie movie you've ever played.

The Last of Us is the best zombie movie you've ever played.

First of all, the no-consequence-for-dying argument has been flogged to an inconsequential death in regards to this game, so I will say this: seeking consequence in a video game is barking up the wrong tree. Combat with realistic consequences driving survival would be something like a war rather than a game and it would likely have little entertainment value.

That said, I'm satisfied with calling TLoU an adventure game with survival as the central theme if it circumvents the tired old comparison of every survival-themed game with Dark Souls and Demon Souls. In fact, I'm happy to report that TLoU is nothing like either of those.

The Last of Us is a captivating and immersive experience that is worthy of the "masterpiece" praises that it has received. Fast-paced at times and a slow-burn at other times, it manages to keep attention and not become completely boring or stale. It has its tropes, but they aren't damaging to the overall experience.

Stealth is centered around being very quiet, as the zombies in this game are blind. It's a good idea and executed well for the most part, but it does make for some awkward moments with an AI partner. There are times when the AI will seem to stomp around at will without being noticed; meanwhile if you so much as break wind, the turbulence in your jeans will alert every zombie in the area of your delicious presence. It's not a mechanics issue or anything, it just looks like an odd contrast and it's one of the few things in the game that seems sloppy.

Character development is so strong that it's easy to become invested, but at the same time it doesn't feel forced you. In fact, you might not even notice until you find yourself blowing through half of your ammunition on a relatively harmless mob just because they got a little too rough with Not-Ellen-Page.

Multiplayer can be quite fun because it's quite a different approach, but at the same time multiplayer can be no fun at all because the differences fall apart. The focus is on collecting parts and supplies in order to sustain your clan of survivors and that doesn't necessarily correlate with kills alone. In fact, a support role is just as effective in collecting parts by crafting, healing, reviving, etc than those meant for a high kill count. However, you may often find that matches are overtaken by a haphazard run-and-gun approach that ruins the tactical slow-burn that it intends. This is being addressed with various combat balances but the MP still seems at risk for drastic dissolution of its population over time.

Multiplayer also seemed drastically under-realized on release as it featured only two game modes (neither of which involved surviving hordes of zombies). It has since revealed plans to expand the game modes through DLC and has already begun to do so. On one hand, more game modes are a welcomed addition but on the other hand they shouldn't turn the game into an 80 dollar version.

Overall, a great experience with nothing blatantly wrong with it. Multiplayer will be take-it-or-leave-it as usual, but single-player alone makes TLoU a great game.
  26. Nov 27, 2013
    What an outstanding game, the story is so gripping I couldn't put the game down!. When I did put the game down I couldn't wait to get back on to play it! Its the only game that I've played and finished within 2 weeks and I have limited play time! Truly outstanding graphics, nice gameplay mechanics and simply the best story I've played this year!

Note: I did not play the Online game
  27. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a game this is. From start to finish this game grips and excites you. It's all about survival you can't help but get right into the storyline as the characters are just average normal people it's so easy to relate to them and put yourself in that situation.

The graphics, the locations, the backdrop, the noises, the music has all been carefully put together and is totally in sync with each other. The atmosphere is frightening with strange noises or footsteps echoing around the corner.

No negatives at all to speak of (wish the storyline lasted longer as it is so good is the only thing). This game is close to perfection and totally unique. Easily the game of the year and just as easily in my top 10 of all time games as it is so different from the standard RPG/FPS/Adventure games out there. Ignore the handful of negative comments about tiny irrelevant details. THIS GAME IS AWESOME

Bravo Naughty Dog 9.5/10
  28. Jan 12, 2014
    This is a very violent, dark, yet beautiful adventure brought in a very masterful way that few gaming companies (and writers) do. It´s not like Uncharted at all, where the action is in your face every five seconds: this game keeps a slow pace, and it kept my attention all the way through. I don´t think I felt so engaged to a pair of characters so much since Bioshock Infinite. Naughty DogThis is a very violent, dark, yet beautiful adventure brought in a very masterful way that few gaming companies (and writers) do. It´s not like Uncharted at all, where the action is in your face every five seconds: this game keeps a slow pace, and it kept my attention all the way through. I don´t think I felt so engaged to a pair of characters so much since Bioshock Infinite. Naughty Dog made a fantastic work into Joel and Ellie, and I absolutely loved Ellie´s development as, both a survivor and a badass female protagonist, a very brave teenager living in a cruel and rough world with Hunters and Bloaters on the way. Gameplay was ferocious, violent and intense, with lots of unique survivor horror elements, and I liked how Joel´s anger when he fights, combined with the context in the combat sections as well knowing the enemy, really made me hate the Hunters and Fireflies standing in my way, thus proving a very intense (and dramatic) gameplay experience. Now, it´s not without its faults: friendly A.I. was sometimes sloppy, and it had some glitches, like when an enemy was stuck in a chair or table after I strangled him, it would move in a very creepy way. But in the end, this was an emotional experience, with a very shocking ending, and I would definitely replay it again. Game of the Generation? That can be discussed a lot, but I could see this game go to a lot of people´s top Game of the Year list, and hearts. Expand
  29. Jul 1, 2014
    The Last of Us is a game with watered down physics, predictable story lines, and characters that don't really have any depth.

This game has been beaten into the ground to the point where I don't think it could have ever lived up to the hype, however, that does not justify the problems stated earlier. Does the game look good? Yes, looks amazing! However, everything else is just...

Does the game look good? Yes, looks amazing! However, everything else is just... meh... I was very let down when I played this game and do not recommend purchasing it unless you enjoy mediocre titles.
  30. Sep 11, 2014
    Freaking awesome! Yeah i really would prefer a zombie apocalypse multiplayer but clearly that's even better. It's the best game i 've ever played. Great work Naughty Dog. We want The Last of Us 2 and this time release it on pc too
  31. Sep 9, 2014
    This is the best game one the playstation 3. It is so amazing. The characters are deep, the gameplay good, music is good and I can't think of nothing negative about it.
  32. Sep 20, 2014
    The fact that a game with a zombie theme can be so unique still surprises me. I was really confused about what I was feeling throughout the game. I especially loved the music, and the voice acting.
  33. Dec 28, 2014
    Hands down best gaming experience for me in the last 10 years. Controls are tight, gameplay is solid, story is engrossing, characters are believable and seamlessly integrated. Nothing but praise here, Buy it.. Play it... Enjoy it.
  34. Feb 15, 2014
    Best Game of 2013. Gameplay, story, graphics, characters design... every single thing.
    The only thing i didnt like of it was its soundtrack, pretty lame work by Santaolalla, as always.
  35. Jun 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last of Us is one of the best movies I've ever seen. It's gritty and heartfelt and perfectly acted and eerily beautiful and all the other stuff all the 10/10 reviews say.

But why is it being sold as a game?? I'm not sure you can call it a game at all.

The one (and only) thing a game can offer, that a movie can't, is choice. It can put you in situations you've never been in before to let you explore your own psychology. It can offer you power, or joy, or terror, with the illusion that you are actually inhabiting, not just watching, a character.

Joel makes the choice of a lifetime in the last act of the game. The entire world is broken. People are dying and suffering. It's not clear whether humanity is looking at an extinction level event. And he can personally fix it all. He can go down as humanity's Messiah. But to do that, he has to sacrifice the person he loves most in the world, the girl who's become a daughter to him. The little girl who loves him and trusts him unconditionally, he has to betray her and sign off on her murder.

If this were a Bioware game or a Bethesda game, we'd be forced to make that agonizing choice. There would be consequences to our decisions; there would be multiple endings; there would be different ways the story could unfold, based on how we shape it.

In The Last of Us, we just watch passively, helplessly, as Joel makes his decision. The game tells us "And then Joel shot the guard in the balls. Here's a hallway full of soldiers. Clear it."

That is not a game. That's like... being in a Skinner Box, where your reward is cutscenes rather than cheese. This is a movie that keeps putting itself on pause and saying "Want to see more? Well, then, go swim underwater and find a pallet and shove it over to Ellie and shove it against the wall!" It's no fun at all to do that, but we dutifully perform the task because we want to see the rest of the movie.

So... why not just make it a movie? Why make a digital Ellen Page in the first place? Was the real one just not available?

Sure, there are Skinner Box sections that are actually kind of fun to clear. The infected are really no fun at all to deal with, but the fights with the hunters, with the cannibals, those are fun. But they're not groundbreaking in any way. As a hybrid stealth/action shooter, I'm going to say that I think Metal Gear Solid 3 plays significantly better. Joel always feels heavy, clumsy, sluggish. Snake's more fun to play with. And MGS3 was nine years ago.

You know, I think that picking the right media for your art is important. If a movie came out in theaters that's just an hour of watching a masterpiece of a painting while an incredible concept album played in the background critics would universally pan it. They'd say "This is a painting and an album. One star."

So why is it that when a game comes out that's actually just a movie, critics respond with universal acclaim?? I don't get it.
  36. Jul 28, 2013
    The Last of Us is a beautiful, emotional tale that remains resonant in and out of gameplay, in and out of cutscenes, whether you're shooting cordiceps or humans, and whether you're scavenging for ammo and medkits or exploring to learn more about the world. The game also has the advantage of being Triple-A funded, so the producttion values are incredible, too. Beautiful graphics, visceralThe Last of Us is a beautiful, emotional tale that remains resonant in and out of gameplay, in and out of cutscenes, whether you're shooting cordiceps or humans, and whether you're scavenging for ammo and medkits or exploring to learn more about the world. The game also has the advantage of being Triple-A funded, so the producttion values are incredible, too. Beautiful graphics, visceral and brutal gameplay, fantastic mo-cap acting, and an emotional narrative make this game hard to fault. Expand
  37. Dec 8, 2013
    Very good game by a very good game company the story is great and the gameplay doesn't disappoint. It is terrific. You can't say enough about the game. It is as good as it gets.
  38. Aug 27, 2013
    Amazing gameplay, characters, story and graphics. It was brutally intense and nearly always challenging. Not only is the story one of the best game experiences I've ever witnessed, the Multiplayer is also very good and addicting.
  39. Jun 15, 2013
    This is not a zombie game, for all the people who are saying this is a zombie game. They have seriously missed a freaking awesome plot and completely missed a major part of the game.

http://youtu.be/XuKjBIBBAL8 watch this short video ,it explains what is going on. dont watch if you dont wanna know.
  40. Jun 14, 2013
    Para empezar era de ver que la pagina Quarter to Three le daba puntaje bajo, porque esto no es un Zen Pinball! y para todos los que les gusten los shooter no compren The Last of Us, por que esto no lo es! Es un excelente juego realizado, por su en foque, de dos personas totalmente distintas, tratando de sobrevivir! a música de Gustavo Santaolalla es tremenda mente genial! los gráficosPara empezar era de ver que la pagina Quarter to Three le daba puntaje bajo, porque esto no es un Zen Pinball! y para todos los que les gusten los shooter no compren The Last of Us, por que esto no lo es! Es un excelente juego realizado, por su en foque, de dos personas totalmente distintas, tratando de sobrevivir! a música de Gustavo Santaolalla es tremenda mente genial! los gráficos son realmente geniales, el entorno, la atmósfera que transmite el juego es genial! al que le gusta ir con paciencia y no corriendo y matando, este es tu juego para jugarlo muchas horas! Ojo a mi me gusta jugar flippers! Expand
  41. Jun 15, 2014
    Hands down, the most overrated game of 2013. To all the high scorers, did you have any FUN with this game? Really. Because I didn't. This game was an absolute chore to play through. The only thing that kept me going was the fairly interesting story, and the high production values. This is a Naughty Dog game, so you can expect superb graphics, animations, voice acting, and cutscenes.Hands down, the most overrated game of 2013. To all the high scorers, did you have any FUN with this game? Really. Because I didn't. This game was an absolute chore to play through. The only thing that kept me going was the fairly interesting story, and the high production values. This is a Naughty Dog game, so you can expect superb graphics, animations, voice acting, and cutscenes. However the gameplay is a mess. This is a 3rd person shooter with some tacked on stealth. However ammo is scarce, so most of the time it is better to go the stealth route. The controls however feel loose (read: realism), and require you to have better aim than your standard third person shooter. NPC enemies also have very spastic animations, so even when you think you have a shot on them, they will jerk their body or head to the side and you will miss the shot. You go into an annoying stagger animation when you get shot (again, realism), which requires you to re-aim your shot, by which time the enemy has already closed the distance and is pounding you to shreds. Close quarters combat is stacked towards the enemy, especially the zombies, many of whom can one-shot kill you at this range. Ellie, your NPC companion, aids very little in combat. Enemies are also oblivious to her presence, even though it is clear they can see her. I guess the idea here was not to punish the player for enemies spotting your NPC companion, but this simply breaks immersion. You also can't switch weapons while on the move, which is especially aggravating when you need to switch from an empty to a loaded weapon while an enemy is chasing you. The game itself plays like your typical cinematic linear shooter, with some outdoor areas that open up a bit and allowing you to explore. All your standard shooter gameplay tropes are here: "defend an area from hordes of enemies", "find an alternate route", "clear area of enemies to proceed", "run away from an armored vehicle"... you get the idea. There are some tiresome ladder and plank "puzzles" that require you to move a ladder from A to B to get somewhere. They add nothing to the gameplay and feel like padding. There is also a skill system (what game doesn't have this nowadays?) that allows you to upgrade your character. It's good to have, and allows you to tailor your gameplay experience somewhat, although I found many of the skills to be useless (faster crafting? what's the point? You shouldn't be crafting during combat). The story is serviceable. You play as Joel, a grieving father tasked with delivering Ellie, a girl immune to the zombie virus, to the human resistance movement. It's like the Walking Dead; the last vestiges of humanity fighting against zombies, lots of interpersonal relationship stuff, harrowing situations, etc. Which is fine, not a lot of games go this route. But TLOU didn't invent this genre, so let's not give it more credit than it deserves. Joel is your typical gruff white guy we've seen dozens of times by now. As for Ellie, they seemed to have cast someone too old to play her, as she comes off as being a little too precocious. The section where you play as Ellie. She says "piece of sh*t" or "motherf*cker" EVERY TIME she kills someone. Why was this necessary? It's not behavior you'd expect from a pre-teen. The much talked about ending, though clever emotionally, left an empty feeling with me, similar to Prince of Persia 2008's ending. As a player, I want to feel like I accomplished something. Don't throw away everything I've done in the past 10+ hours.

To sum up, this is not a fun game. If you want to play a Walking Dead episode, with all of Naughty Dog's trademark high production values, then this is for you. However if like me, you like your games to be fun, then give this a pass.
  42. Jun 14, 2013
    Amazing game, from minute you'll be hooked by the story, one of, if not the best story in a game ever.
    The world is deep and credible, you will want to look around and see the story that even just the environment is telling.
    Character's are some of the most lovable in modern gaming, you will be surprised by how much you care about them when playing. Sound, graphics are all top notch,
    Sound, graphics are all top notch, gameplay works great.
    GOTY right here!
  43. Jul 16, 2013
    The most important thing to remember about this game is that the gameplay isn't the focus. There are plenty of goofy, quirky Indie platformers out there that are more "fun" and have better gameplay. The game has great atmosphere, good storytelling, believable characters and a great soundtrack. All of those elements combined make it worth it. It's like a good book or a thought-provokingThe most important thing to remember about this game is that the gameplay isn't the focus. There are plenty of goofy, quirky Indie platformers out there that are more "fun" and have better gameplay. The game has great atmosphere, good storytelling, believable characters and a great soundtrack. All of those elements combined make it worth it. It's like a good book or a thought-provoking movie. It's a game that you can discuss with friends, on multiple levels, for hours.

Is it perfect? No. It can be frustrating, tedious and at times glitchy. It has a low replay value because, well, you KNOW the story, you KNOW the characters, what else is there? But it's totally worth the price of the game for such a good story.
  44. Sep 4, 2013
    Amazing game, completed it three times when I have never played a game after completed it before.

The only reason not to buy this game is if you are easily scared or do not like action games, otherwise go buy it now. I dropped a point for the rather run-of-the-mill multiplayer which for me is a complete waste of time, would have been better off making the game bigger (even though it

I dropped a point for the rather run-of-the-mill multiplayer which for me is a complete waste of time, would have been better off making the game bigger (even though it is plenty big enough).
  45. Jun 20, 2013
    Everything about The Last of Us is intriguing. If you're going into this game thinking that this will be an Uncharted game with zombies don't bother. Also, if you're going into to this game you should know that you're entering into a game where there's barely any happy moments and violence around every corner.

There's quite a few people who play this game and obviously don't get it. The

There's quite a few people who play this game and obviously don't get it. The Last of Us is a very character drive action-adventure, survival game. The gameplay is constantly an intense experience where you never really know what to expect. You could probably nitpick the crap out of the game because it's not perfect, no game is. My personal experience with the game was a special experience that no game has really delivered yet. The level of attachment you feel for these characters is just incredible. The Ai are smart, your resources within gameplay is sparse forcing you to make strategic decisions, and the story is fantastic.

I'm not a huge multiplayer person so it was a huge shock when I got to the multiplayer and found out I really enjoy it! The multiplayey captures that intensity and gameplay experience the single player had. It is really fun.

This game is the best game to do date (in my opinion) on the PlayStation 3. There's been a lot of great games over the years but I feel this is the perfect swan song for the PS3. By the end of if it you really feel for these characters, and it's one hell of a ride. The ending was pretty incredible also. The Last of Us really stretches your mind to think what is right and what is wrong.
  46. pxl
    Aug 27, 2013
    A fantastic and immersing story that kept me on my toes till the very end, the ending was great and evoked emotion and honestly, just made me think what I would do in a similar situation. Thank you Naughty Dog, you made my childhood with Crash Bandicoot and now that I'm 18, you once again just create a masterpiece.
  47. Jun 14, 2013
    The Last of Us is why I play video games, and is truly the PS3's mantra for games to come.. I've yet to ever post any type of fan boy esque review, but if there ever was a time, this is it. Sucker Punch has continued to provide my beloved console with gems (ie Uncharted) but this epic creation is on a whole new level. Almost enough for one to buy the console just to experience it. From itsThe Last of Us is why I play video games, and is truly the PS3's mantra for games to come.. I've yet to ever post any type of fan boy esque review, but if there ever was a time, this is it. Sucker Punch has continued to provide my beloved console with gems (ie Uncharted) but this epic creation is on a whole new level. Almost enough for one to buy the console just to experience it. From its breathtaking visuals, it's writing, it's ability to make you feel and keep you glued in from setpiece to setpiece, it is perhaps the best video game I've ever played (30+ years of gaming). MGS4 set the bar a while ago and this has blown it out of the water. Don't even think about it. Go out and not only buy this today, but keep it as it will be talked about for years to come. God bless you Sucker punch and PS3. Expand
  48. Jun 22, 2013
    Every now and again, a game comes around that gets all kinds of critical acclaim. Many are naturally drawn to the game in hopes of seeing whether or not the game lives up to the massive amounts of hype that it gets. "The Last of Us" is one of those games, and I am proud to say that it lives up to that hype. Naughty Dog, the makers of the critically acclaimed "Uncharted" series and the cultEvery now and again, a game comes around that gets all kinds of critical acclaim. Many are naturally drawn to the game in hopes of seeing whether or not the game lives up to the massive amounts of hype that it gets. "The Last of Us" is one of those games, and I am proud to say that it lives up to that hype. Naughty Dog, the makers of the critically acclaimed "Uncharted" series and the cult favorite "Crash Bandicoot" series, doesn't pull any punches in this gritty, violent, post-apocalyptic thriller. The best way to describe the game is that it contains the exploration and action elements of the "Uncharted" series with the stealth and story-telling elements of the "Metal Gear Solid" series with the scrounging and weapon conservation elements of survival horror. The graphics are top-notch, the scenery is breathtaking, the storytelling and character development is very compelling, the combat is both satisfying and challenging (especially when you are just getting used to it), and the game just feels incredibly real, as a whole. Bottom line, it is a game that needs to be played in order to feel the full reach of all of its great elements. There are a few items in the game that can be nitpicked, but none of these are able to take away from this amazing experience in a significant way. It is certainly one of the best games of this gaming generation and is a great way to begin the closing out the PS3 era and bringing in the PS4 era. Unless you are into blowing up certain miniscule shortcomings into something that they are not and considering them abject failures worthy of a 0 or 1 rating on the game's part (which many user reviewers rating this game negatively seem to be doing here), you will certainly enjoy this game. If you have a PS3, buy this game. If you don't, this game could easily be worth getting your hands on one in order to play this game. Expand
  49. Jun 20, 2013
    Why are you reading reviews?? Go buy the damn game already!

This is seriously the game that can offer you THE best apocalyptic movie experience. This game was very well executed. Graphics are well designed, brilliant models and textures. Every moment in the story line is engaging and you bond with the characters so well. This is not just a 3rd person shooter, you actually need to
    Why are you reading reviews?? Go buy the damn game already!

Every moment in the story line is engaging and you bond with the characters so well. This is not just a 3rd person shooter, you actually need to preserve your ammunition and only use it in emergencies. This being said, it is quite hard to stay calm with adrenaline pumping through your body while you are surrounded by infected.
  50. Aug 9, 2014
    The Last of Us um dos melhores jogos que já joguei na minha vida, o enredo emocionante, cada detalhe do jogo é fantástico , gráficos muito bons, a Naught Dog ta de parabéns ,pra mim seria o game do ano, obra prima mesmo.
  51. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Eu não sei o que eu posso dizer sobre este jogo, sem revelar nada, mas vou dizer-lhe que facilmente entre os dez primeiros jogos que eu joguei, e joguei um monte de jogos bons, também os personagens de Joel e Ellie são absolutamente brilhante, acho que Ellie tem uma premissa tão incrível, e Joel parece ter sido afetado pela infecção de uma forma bastante realista. A única b ad coisa que posso dizer sobre este jogo que, como bom como eu não acho que para todo mundo, algumas pessoas podem ser adiadas pela atmosfera e violência dentro do jogo, enquanto alguns vão amá-lo pelo mesmo motivo. Se você está pensando em comprar este jogo, então eu recomendo comprá-lo. Expand
  52. Jun 16, 2013
    The Last of us is a great game. No its an Experience a much play. He is clearly what he is supposed to be an Survival horror. To me the Game is a mixed Between the TV Series :The Walking Dead and those two movies 28 Days or Weeks Later. Even the multiplayer has its charm. Not Revolutionary but good. The Game is kind of long to start maybe a too long tutorial. Once this is out of theThe Last of us is a great game. No its an Experience a much play. He is clearly what he is supposed to be an Survival horror. To me the Game is a mixed Between the TV Series :The Walking Dead and those two movies 28 Days or Weeks Later. Even the multiplayer has its charm. Not Revolutionary but good. The Game is kind of long to start maybe a too long tutorial. Once this is out of the way. The Game Is Fun and satisfying. Beat infected with a brick or an old rusted pipe. Is Great. maybe the game does deserve 20/20 but its a great game none the less. Expand
  53. Jun 21, 2013
    This is simply one of the greatest games that I have ever played. Amazing stealth combat and creepy dark areas to beautiful forests will draw you right in. The Last of us also brings in a well written story that will draw you in until you have to see it through to the end
  54. Jul 1, 2013
    There's very little I can say about this game that hasn't been said already. I'm going to try and sum up this review really quickly, saying that this is an ABSOLUTE MUST BUY for any PS3 owner. Heck, even Xbox owners should spend the money and buy a PS3 (even just before the new generation comes out!) just to experience this game. And that's my main point about this game. It's anThere's very little I can say about this game that hasn't been said already. I'm going to try and sum up this review really quickly, saying that this is an ABSOLUTE MUST BUY for any PS3 owner. Heck, even Xbox owners should spend the money and buy a PS3 (even just before the new generation comes out!) just to experience this game. And that's my main point about this game. It's an experience. You see the characters changing, the story is fantastic and the atmosphere unforgettable. After playing 'The Walking Dead' by Telltale, I was skeptical as to whether any other game can meet the character development and story levels that Telltale games had produced. Naughty Dog have met if not surpassed the levels set by The Walking Dead. Yes there are a few glitches and the AI for followers such as Ellie can be a little cumbersome but the positives outweigh the negatives by so much that the Last of Us is worthy of a 10/10. Expand
  55. Jun 30, 2014
    There isn't much that hasn't been said about this masterpiece of gaming. Everyone knows it represents a landmark in graphic design for future video games, as well as how impressively tight the story, dialogues and characters are written apart from the intuitive gameplay. All I can say is that if you have a PS3 or a PS4 (when the remastered version comes out) and you don't have this game,There isn't much that hasn't been said about this masterpiece of gaming. Everyone knows it represents a landmark in graphic design for future video games, as well as how impressively tight the story, dialogues and characters are written apart from the intuitive gameplay. All I can say is that if you have a PS3 or a PS4 (when the remastered version comes out) and you don't have this game, what the hell are you waiting for? Expand
  56. Aug 28, 2013
    Naughty Dog has their sh*t together. I wish more developers could produce this kind of quality on PS3. The Uncharted series is a favorite of mine... now add zombies! Who doesn't love zombies!? The story and cinematic work is so well done, you care about the characters and you have to really weigh you upgrades. There are a few dull moments... and a few places where you wish there wereNaughty Dog has their sh*t together. I wish more developers could produce this kind of quality on PS3. The Uncharted series is a favorite of mine... now add zombies! Who doesn't love zombies!? The story and cinematic work is so well done, you care about the characters and you have to really weigh you upgrades. There are a few dull moments... and a few places where you wish there were 20 clickers around you... but it is awesome. If you're a fan of Uncharted, zombies, 3rd person shooters, survival horror, life... get this game. Expand
  57. Sep 1, 2013
    A wonderful adventure with a compelling attitude! You'll be driven from start to finish with the awesome gameplay, and intense cinematic's! If you loved the Uncharted series, then this game is right up your alley bringing full ammunition of fun and excitement!
  58. Jul 29, 2014
    I've heard mixed reviews on this game ranging from "it's too boring and slow moving" to "this is the greatest game of all time". I can now say, after playing through the bulk of this game, that I completely understand both sides of reviews. For those of you who want an adrenaline rush of game play with constant action, go elsewhere for your gaming experience as this is not the game forI've heard mixed reviews on this game ranging from "it's too boring and slow moving" to "this is the greatest game of all time". I can now say, after playing through the bulk of this game, that I completely understand both sides of reviews. For those of you who want an adrenaline rush of game play with constant action, go elsewhere for your gaming experience as this is not the game for you.

However, those of you who enjoy imaginative immersion in a well-crafted storyline, realistic/believable characters, beautiful artwork and game design, exploration, and solid game play, look no further. The environments are mesmerizing, the character movement is gorgeous, the dialogue and voice acting is superb, the mix of stealth/scavenging/shooting within the twists and turns of the games story is as excellent as video games come.

The game basically plays as a 3rd person shooter (think Resident Evil 4+5) with stealth elements (think Splinter Cell) and crafting (again, think Resident Evil 4+5). Additionally, as you traverse the lengths of the storyline, you will find yourself in a myriad of settings ranging from (but not limited to) the outskirts of the city refuge to a deserted town and all the way to the wilderness, university campus, and sewers. Each new area and chapter in the game flows along the tide of TLoU's amazingly executed storyline - and the characters you play as become increasingly unique, realistic, and dear to your heart. I cannot tell you how astounded I was throughout my first play through. I can honestly say that the enjoyment of this game remained throughout the second play through as well.

*I believe my total play through time for the game was roughly around 18 hours or so. I suppose it would depend on how quickly you are attempting to finish - my style included quite a bit of exploration and a steady pace throughout to soak up the beauty of the game.

Definitely within the top 5 best games I have ever experienced. Well worth the price of a ps3 for this game alone. I would highly recommend for post-apocalyptic enthusiasts.
  59. Nov 18, 2013
    This game is rich in character depth, story, gameplay, graphics, voice acting and fun.
    It's challenging where it needs to be, beautiful where it needs to be and dark where it can be. With compelling characters, an interesting premise and a jaw dropping story this game is a must play.
  60. Mar 11, 2014
    This game is simply gorgeous. It gives the sensation that is the best game ever for the PS3, and since the new gen consoles are here, it will be forever. Hopefully it's the beginning of a series, because anybody that played it would surely like to play a new TLOU story as soon as possible. Do not miss it.
  61. Nov 13, 2014
    EPIC adventure, the last of us, brings us, one of the best adventures that we can have in PS3, A very good worked game, it has a very charismatic characters, it shows how strong a friendship can be. with intense scenes that remind me scary games like Silent hill 1... the game is absolutely recommended!
  62. Jan 1, 2014
    This game is primarily a story telling device, it's about the atmosphere and character interactions. Is it survival horror? Well you're never afraid to die, you're not going to be set back very far. You do have to conserve ammo a little bit and it really helps your enjoyment of the game if you approach situations strategically; while you can pretty much run and gun it you won't findThis game is primarily a story telling device, it's about the atmosphere and character interactions. Is it survival horror? Well you're never afraid to die, you're not going to be set back very far. You do have to conserve ammo a little bit and it really helps your enjoyment of the game if you approach situations strategically; while you can pretty much run and gun it you won't find this way of playing very fun. Remember, this isn't Call of Duty, it isn't a shooting gallery and as long as you don't play it like it is you should have a great experience with this game.

My only criticism is that there isn't enough variety in the scrap you can salvage and utilise, there's surely only so many pairs of broken scissors in the world? And that's it, that's all the criticism I have.
  63. Jan 19, 2014
    This game is one of the best games I've ever experienced. Beautiful graphics, a clear and an amazing story that won't get played confused about the plot. The voice acting is incredible. The story is so heartbreaking in some of the scenes. As in Tess. And the way Ellie bonds with Joel. I can't imagine anyone giving this a negative rating. ood job, Naughty-Dog.
  64. Ape
    Feb 26, 2014
    Great game - great story - great everything. If you like the Uncharted series but want a little more gore or realism from the game then this is for you. Just watch out for the clickers...
  65. Mar 2, 2014
    I work on a 10, 5, 0 score. 10 = Id buy for ps3, 5 = Probably wouldnt buy. 0 = Would not buy. This game is a must have if you are a ps3 fan. It is one of the better exclusives for the system.
  66. Mar 11, 2014
    All good games I play naked while either rubbing Melted cheese whizz all over my body or peanut body.... The Last of Us was ne of those games where I got to put away my torture devices that I use on myself during gaming, and bring out the penis pump... I like to stay rock hard when I play this game... clickers make me tick..... Im late n the review because I gathered 2000 rats and I playedAll good games I play naked while either rubbing Melted cheese whizz all over my body or peanut body.... The Last of Us was ne of those games where I got to put away my torture devices that I use on myself during gaming, and bring out the penis pump... I like to stay rock hard when I play this game... clickers make me tick..... Im late n the review because I gathered 2000 rats and I played this game naked with them rats while they nawed on my flesh.... it was beautiful......Left behind... that was good too... I saw the word "behind" in the title so I figured Id stick a cucumber up my ass while I played it... Pretty good game if I do say so myself.. Expand
  67. Mar 30, 2014
    What hasn't been said about this game that hasn't already been said. This game is a masterpiece, a stroke of pure genius from Naughty Dog. From the story to the multiplayer, there is no excuse not to play this game. Its a force of nature. The story is unforgivingly tragic and straight forward, unlike most games on the market. The performances are Oscar worthy and deserve nearly all theWhat hasn't been said about this game that hasn't already been said. This game is a masterpiece, a stroke of pure genius from Naughty Dog. From the story to the multiplayer, there is no excuse not to play this game. Its a force of nature. The story is unforgivingly tragic and straight forward, unlike most games on the market. The performances are Oscar worthy and deserve nearly all the praise it's been getting. The multiplayer is fantastic and is a breath of fresh air for Battlefield or CoD fans. If you own a PS3, there is no reason that you shouldn't buy this game, it's a masterpiece. Expand
  68. May 29, 2014
    This is one of the best games I ever played.

The characters are unique and interesting. The story is phenomenal and even puts you in a conflict with yourself, where you start to think, whether it's morally or not, what's happening there. The graphics for a PS3 are breathtaking, I've never seen such great textures. The gameplay is good, but not revolutionary. It's kinda nice,
    This is one of the best games I ever played.

The characters are unique and interesting.

The graphics for a PS3 are breathtaking, I've never seen such great textures.

The gameplay is good, but not revolutionary. It's kinda nice, that you can craft bombs etc., but it's extremely simple made.

This game will stay with me my whole life long.
  69. May 19, 2014
    From the graphics, which almost seem like they belong on a PS4, to the top-notch voice acting, to the subtle and moving soundtrack, The Last of Us proves that video games can be a form of art. You owe it to yourself to play The Last of Us. It's that good. Read more here. http://intelligentgamer.org/2014/03/11/the-last-of-us-review/
  70. Sep 9, 2014
    I do not see what is so good about this game. It as Uncharted all over again, not saying Uncharted was bad but it is just another Uncharted with Zombies. Very very linear. You have no choices what so ever and you have to do exactly what the game tells you to do. Even in combat that is. You have very little ammo, you have to shot 4 guys with 1 bullet or try to sneak. But sneak is impossibleI do not see what is so good about this game. It as Uncharted all over again, not saying Uncharted was bad but it is just another Uncharted with Zombies. Very very linear. You have no choices what so ever and you have to do exactly what the game tells you to do. Even in combat that is. You have very little ammo, you have to shot 4 guys with 1 bullet or try to sneak. But sneak is impossible if you do not do it exactly as the game wants you to sneak. The story is nothing special. It is like the story on Uncharted, perhaps a bit exiting for some, not for me. I liked Uncharted at the end. Did not like the first one and do not like Last of us. They are far to linear and just "Go to the next room and kill the enemy and hide behind the dedicated stuff" again and again and again... Expand
  71. Sep 11, 2014
    A must have game and truly the greatest of a generation, if not one of the best games of all time. The story and characters are amazing, the visuals are gorgrous, the gameplay is great and gives you lots of options how to approach everything. The atmosphere and immersion really pull you in and you will find yourself in some tense situations. This is survival horror done right, where youA must have game and truly the greatest of a generation, if not one of the best games of all time. The story and characters are amazing, the visuals are gorgrous, the gameplay is great and gives you lots of options how to approach everything. The atmosphere and immersion really pull you in and you will find yourself in some tense situations. This is survival horror done right, where you need to think about how you will use limited resources snd ammo. To top it all off, the multiplayer is really good, requiring teamwork, communication, and strategy along with skill Expand
  72. Nov 27, 2014
    Excellent story, graphics that are pretty impressive for Ps3 standards, compelling voice acting, and a phenomenal soundtrack. The moment I popped the game into the Ps3 and completed the first chapter, I realized this would become one of my favorite games. Naughty Dog is at the very top of their game and I strongly recommend this to anyone craving a violent game with emotional storytelling.
  73. Jan 22, 2015
    After watching AngryJoes video review of this , I though (well,ok,TIME TO GO TO GAMESTOP!) . Moments later,I got the game out of the case and placed it inside the DVD-ROM of my Playstation 3. And "OH MY GOD" , this game is absolutely MIND-BLOWING! Just the characters and how well acted they are is already a worthy 5! But that's just the characters,how 'bout the story you ask? It's theAfter watching AngryJoes video review of this , I though (well,ok,TIME TO GO TO GAMESTOP!) . Moments later,I got the game out of the case and placed it inside the DVD-ROM of my Playstation 3. And "OH MY GOD" , this game is absolutely MIND-BLOWING! Just the characters and how well acted they are is already a worthy 5! But that's just the characters,how 'bout the story you ask? It's the final icing to the cake on this one! It's the one thing that gives this game all the praise from the CRITICS and the FANS! Oh and the gameplay , gameplay is so amazing , may yet be the BEST 3RD-PERSON SHOOTER EVER MADE . So with all that said,the game,of course also has atleast a bit of faults. In this case,the only fault of this game is it's ending . And it ended up giving me the "MEH" kind of feeling in top tier games like this. If that really was the ending of this game,then I HOPE that "The Last of Us 2" will just be as a MASTERPIECE as this one! Don't fail the sequel! Oh DEAR GOD PLEASE!

But will all that said,this game deserves the highest rating I could possibly give. A 10/10
    No Doubt,XBOX Fanboys and girls,just try not to wage war on us (Sony Fans) because we praise this game. It's just because it's that amazing and its that of a MASTERPIECE! GO GET A PS3 OR PS4!
  74. Oct 8, 2013
    It's a Naughty Dog game, does anything else really need to be said? Expect excellence because this game will gut punch you out of your seat from the very opening scene, and never let you go.
  75. Jun 18, 2013
    Gun play is kind of iffy, but otherwise this is the best game i have ever played. The story is beautifully told. This game is an absolute masterpiece.
  76. Jul 8, 2013
    This is honestly the greatest game I have ever played sure there are a few 'slight' glitches and moments you're reminded that it is 'just a game', but the fact that your brain needs to be reminded of this just goes to show how enthralling it really is. I don't think I've ever been more emotionally invested in a story than I was in this game, even on a second playthrough when I knew whatThis is honestly the greatest game I have ever played sure there are a few 'slight' glitches and moments you're reminded that it is 'just a game', but the fact that your brain needs to be reminded of this just goes to show how enthralling it really is. I don't think I've ever been more emotionally invested in a story than I was in this game, even on a second playthrough when I knew what was coming, it still got me right in the feels.

As far as gameplay goes don't expect call of duty. This is predominantly a stealth game, and this is where it shines approaching each situation cautiously and planning your every move with the limited supplies you have is the way the game was meant to be played, and when you know you only have 3 bullets and 5 enemies to take out, things can get really tense as a slight slip up will leave you sprinting desparately for cover when you're spotted and bandits open fire, or you hear the dreaded screech of a stalker in the sewers beginning his charge.

Live this game, invest yourself in it and you will love it. Since completing this game I haven't actually been able to get into any other new games, they just feel so shallow and pointless now... This game will stay with me for a LONG time.
  77. Aug 20, 2013
    Boring, linear. Just another scripted action game. No challenges. I expected much more from a game with such high praises. Once again it's clear that the review industry has no clue about what the gamer really wants.
  78. Sep 11, 2013
    The Last of Us can easily be, in my opinion, the best PS3 game that Sony has ever released. Naughty Dog's contribution to this gen console is above and beyond your basic third person action game. The world they've created with the Last of Us is believable as well as tense. Within the first five minutes you feel for Joel as this pandemic hits him especially hard and the game uses the momentThe Last of Us can easily be, in my opinion, the best PS3 game that Sony has ever released. Naughty Dog's contribution to this gen console is above and beyond your basic third person action game. The world they've created with the Last of Us is believable as well as tense. Within the first five minutes you feel for Joel as this pandemic hits him especially hard and the game uses the moment to tug at your emotions to where you want to put yourself in its place. The game is taut, filled with suspense, and makes you think of what people will actually do to survive day by day and you ask yourself, what if this was me. If you haven't played this game yet you are missing out on one of the best experiences that the PlayStation 3 has to offer. If you do not have a PS3 then buy one, because this game will not let you down. Expand
  79. Jun 24, 2013
    I only played some of the story mode but so far it's great. I mean there are flawed moments. How can every story be perfect? I say this is almost perfect and as for multiplayer. I'll say it's like anything I've played so far. Sure it's another shooter but the the whole crafting thing makes it fun and the upgrades on the spot adds a spice to it. I've been playing more of the multiplayer butI only played some of the story mode but so far it's great. I mean there are flawed moments. How can every story be perfect? I say this is almost perfect and as for multiplayer. I'll say it's like anything I've played so far. Sure it's another shooter but the the whole crafting thing makes it fun and the upgrades on the spot adds a spice to it. I've been playing more of the multiplayer but don't get me wrong, the story mode is already epic. In the beginning of it, right off the bat, it's awesome. Naughty Dog has done it again! Expand
  80. Jun 14, 2013
    Really average game, painfully average for the score it's getting. I feel the only reason why it's getting such scores is the publisher, but that's alright.
    The gunplay is average, typical TPS fair. Really, if you're looking for gameplay innovation, it's not here. The whole "scarce ammo so you have to scavenge" thing is ruined by the fact that most of the enemies are guards, which drop ammo. The"zombies (they're zombies, don't lie to yourself)" are generally clumped in areas and not dangerous, outside of clickers. For puzzles we have crate stacking, ladders, moving massive objects to stand on (Joel is superhuman) and motors. You'll be seeing these a lot because they're repeated more than HL2's physics puzzles. The game has stealth, which is does just as well as any other TPS game with stealth, but the AI is stupid, making it easier. It's really linear, shamefully linear. I think this is what kills me most about the game, the atmosphere is really good, ND nailed it with that, but they went NOWHERE with it. It's another linear story game that takes no risks. Walk, get into scripted scene, fight guards or zombies, cutscene. For 12 hours, that's the game. It occasionally changes things up, but that's essentially the game. I won't spoil the story, but it feels like the left it up for DLC and expansions, which is shameful. If you like really average story based games, go ahead. If you want more, maybe just rent it. It does little wrong, but even less right.
  81. Jun 23, 2013
    God damn it, The Last of Us™ is not only criminally overrated, but an actively bad game. The plot is bereft of any innovation, and is advanced only by long, LONG cutscenes which lead to MASSIVE 'cinematic' walking/running from point A to point B, stopping only to shift the occasional ladder or mash buttons in unfun quicktime events. This part of the gameplay (which essentially amounts toGod damn it, The Last of Us™ is not only criminally overrated, but an actively bad game. The plot is bereft of any innovation, and is advanced only by long, LONG cutscenes which lead to MASSIVE 'cinematic' walking/running from point A to point B, stopping only to shift the occasional ladder or mash buttons in unfun quicktime events. This part of the gameplay (which essentially amounts to poorly rendered cutscenes and is obvious filler) is only broken up by further cutscenes or sudden outbreaks of chest-high walls, which precipitate another tedious bout of the game's stiff, unresponsive and awkward third-person shooter aspect.

Do you see all the perfect scores this overblown, poorly designed travesty got? RIP gaming journalism. If you know anyone that considers this game more than a 5 out of 10, put them down. The infection has already taken their mind, and you're doing them a mercy they don't deserve.
  82. Jun 18, 2013
    A masterpiece, Naughty Dog delivers once again. The last of us is well acted, well written and beautiful as well as dreary and depressing. There isn't a studio out there putting nearly as much care and love into what they do that Naughty dog does. So much care has been put into the characters and story, so much subtle and beautiful animation detail into the faces in the cutscenes. SeeingA masterpiece, Naughty Dog delivers once again. The last of us is well acted, well written and beautiful as well as dreary and depressing. There isn't a studio out there putting nearly as much care and love into what they do that Naughty dog does. So much care has been put into the characters and story, so much subtle and beautiful animation detail into the faces in the cutscenes. Seeing the relationship change between Joel and Ellie was breath taking and had me shouting at my TV in anger at Joel.

I know what you're thinking... Post apocalyptic, zombie like creatures, no Nathan Drake... Well stop! I understand your pre-conceived notions of how these games are. This isn't the walking dead, it's not Fallout and it certainly isn't Uncharted although the game mechanics share a lot of similarities. The gun play in this game is vastly improved from what Naughty Dog has done before and although sometimes the AI will prove me wrong the AI is much more intelligent. But most importantly killing the AI in this game is more meaningful as you feel like you're protecting Ellie and will do whatever it takes to get her through this world safely.

As a final note I would suggest you play through this without caring for trophies as you will not get the bulk of them until the end of your third play through. I understand the appeal of trophies as I wear my platinum's for all of Naughty Dog's games with pride. But after finishing the game on hard you will only have 8% of the trophies. Good luck and have fun!
  83. Aug 2, 2013
    I bought this game because it was Naughty Dog and that was it. In my opinion the game is overhyped and overrated. It's a good game, with an interesting story, but that's it. It's not the best game of all time, it's not the best Playstation game; it's not even the best game of 2013. It's a middle of the road good game.
    I hated the over the shoulder viewpoint and I found the direction
    I hated the over the shoulder viewpoint and I found the direction movement controls very clunky.
    A good game, but not a great one.
  84. Jun 24, 2013
    There is one really annoying flaw with this game. Whenever you are trying to stealthily hide behind objects to remain obscured from the antagonists, Ellie runs around right in front of them undected! Another flaw is that when Joel has a gun equipped and goes for his melee weapon the gun vanishes into thin air which is stupid. Ok so there is the bad. Everything other than that more thanThere is one really annoying flaw with this game. Whenever you are trying to stealthily hide behind objects to remain obscured from the antagonists, Ellie runs around right in front of them undected! Another flaw is that when Joel has a gun equipped and goes for his melee weapon the gun vanishes into thin air which is stupid. Ok so there is the bad. Everything other than that more than makes up for those flaws. This game has a great story. It is very engaging and paced along superbly. The characters are cool. The weapon system is easy and fun to use. There are some genuine scares. PLEASE NAUGHTY DOG....THE LAST OF US 2!!!!! Expand
  85. Jun 18, 2013
    Woopedy Doo another zombie story that supposedly has depth because of the serious dialogue. If you didn't get enough of this from the Walking Dead game, movie, comic book or the book Cell from Stephen King here is yet another helping. Welcome to Uncharted 4, The Walking Undead. This game sports beautiful visuals and settings in which your sole purpose in life is to get from point A toWoopedy Doo another zombie story that supposedly has depth because of the serious dialogue. If you didn't get enough of this from the Walking Dead game, movie, comic book or the book Cell from Stephen King here is yet another helping. Welcome to Uncharted 4, The Walking Undead. This game sports beautiful visuals and settings in which your sole purpose in life is to get from point A to point B. Spoiler alert if you see a ladder or a board you are going to need it.

This is basically Uncharted 3 without the acrobatics and with a different, but equally frustrating, combat system. Luckily many of the encounters can be avoided by using stealth, that is until someone decides to turn around for no apparent reason other than you set the games difficulty to hard, once that happens regardless of what critics have said all the enemies indeed know where you are and come en masse, at which point you can shoot them three times in the head, break your melee weapon on them or smash there head into the wall. And even though they have guns that they shoot at you when you kill them you get no gun or ammo because this is a survival game and in survival games I guess reality be damned.

I guess if I want to have fun dragging around a young girl in a zombie infested landscape I will go back to RE4.
  86. Jul 11, 2013
    A Great game, this is one of those generation game that are in that little list called "must have", realistic and reasonably hard (sometimes unreasonably). Would suggest to anyone in a heartbeat. The story itself is a pearl. The game gets 8/10 only because mechanics in the game are not that "new" or do not necessarily bring something "new" the game context, graphic, aesthetic and story areA Great game, this is one of those generation game that are in that little list called "must have", realistic and reasonably hard (sometimes unreasonably). Would suggest to anyone in a heartbeat. The story itself is a pearl. The game gets 8/10 only because mechanics in the game are not that "new" or do not necessarily bring something "new" the game context, graphic, aesthetic and story are simply amazing. Expand
  87. Jun 16, 2013
    Hard to play it might be at most times, this game really captures what a survivor feels like. You always have to be on your foot on your supplies and come with the best survival strategy. This game is just amazing.
  88. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is simply amazing. Naughty Dog is one of the best video game developers in the world, and they continuously keep producing masterpieces like this. This is a must buy for every PS3 owner.
  89. Jun 26, 2013
    pure masterpiece, almost all the technical and art direction wise are perfect, pushing the power of PS3 until it's limit (yes it does take sometimes to load it, but hell, it was worth the time). characters are so believable, the world are beautifully creepy, and the game play are intense. everything worth the time you spend for the game. exploring the areas gave you valuable rewards forpure masterpiece, almost all the technical and art direction wise are perfect, pushing the power of PS3 until it's limit (yes it does take sometimes to load it, but hell, it was worth the time). characters are so believable, the world are beautifully creepy, and the game play are intense. everything worth the time you spend for the game. exploring the areas gave you valuable rewards for the next encounters, and also collectibles (notes, etc). even you are not really into this genre (survival/action) (i'm not really a fan for survival games) this still a must play for PS3 owners. Expand
  90. GFC
    Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before I start this review I will just say I haven't come close to beating this game yet. I have made it to around when you meet Bill for the first time. Well anyways the story so far. It starts off as you playing as Joel's daughter. She woke up from a phone call then went off to find her dad. After an explosion her dad comes in the house. That is where you encounter your first zombie. You get a vehicle with Tommy? He wasn't in the game to much so far so sorry if I got the name wrong. After some retards getting in your way Joel"s daughter gets shot starting off the game From that moment on you know this will be a very sad story. 20 years later Joel is in a little apartment were a girl who seems to be friends with Joel shows up. I forgot her name as well so lets call her Plot Point. The two of them want to kill some guy who stole their guns. After some serious ass kicking Joel and Plot Point find out he sold the guns to the Fireflies. Then out of nowhere the leader of the fireflies shows up. She tells the they have to smuggle something to get their guns back. It turns out the thing they are smuggling is a girl named Ellie. So then Joel and Plot point take Ellie and they proceed to smuggle her. After some luck it turns put Ellie was bitten three weeks ago. When bitten it takes up to 2 days to turn. So Ellie explains to them she might be the cure. After going to the main Firefly place it turns out they just left. that is where it turns out Plot Point was bitten. She wasn't in the game very much and didn't have much character progession so I wasn't sad from her death. I feel like most other characters aren't developed enough so I wonder why even bring them in? After that the plot just kind of goes on.

As for the gameplay it is pure survival horror. There are three enemy types. Infected, Clickers and people. All these enemies feel natural because none of them are overpowered. Humans because they think logically and its easy to shoot them. Infected because they are stupid. And then there are clickers who are interesting. If I clicker gets to you, you are dead. But their downfall is they are blind and they see through sounds much like bats. When ever there is an enemy I feel a rush, Also this game is very stealth based. Since it stays true to survival horror ammo is rare. There are many ways to kill your enemies and I like that.

Some finishing thoughts:

This game looks FANTASTIC! I have never seen a game more beautiful. Also the voice acting is great. It brings the characters to life.

I was going to give this game and 8 from silly things in the story and from under developed characters but Joel and Ellie easily gives this game a 9/10

-GFC
  91. Mar 12, 2014
    Please note that I barely played the multiplayer and am rating this on the story mode. I know this review is late, but I would like to say that this game is phenomenal and is an amazing experience. Throughout the game, you find yourself being overprotective of the teenage female protagonist, Ellie, and not worrying about your safety as much as hers. I really felt like her dad as I kept aPlease note that I barely played the multiplayer and am rating this on the story mode. I know this review is late, but I would like to say that this game is phenomenal and is an amazing experience. Throughout the game, you find yourself being overprotective of the teenage female protagonist, Ellie, and not worrying about your safety as much as hers. I really felt like her dad as I kept a gun out every time she went alone to open a door or pull a lever. Naughty dog has definitely done their job on creating and atmosphere that you fear every door and corner you pass. This is definitely one of the top ten best games ever made. I completely recommend this game to ANYONE. I really feel like I know Joel and Ellie on a personal level, after playing this game. If you haven't played this game, you should be ashamed. GO OUT AND BUY IT KNOW! Expand
  92. Jun 19, 2013
    Last of Us is a good game, probably a great game but not a perfect game. I found the support AI to be extremely frustrating especially early on when Tess just opens up gunfire on a room full of other survivors as I was trying to stealthily avoid/kill if necessary, not engage in bloody, dehumanizing gunfights. Which also brings up the nature of killing, how the game totes this aura ofLast of Us is a good game, probably a great game but not a perfect game. I found the support AI to be extremely frustrating especially early on when Tess just opens up gunfire on a room full of other survivors as I was trying to stealthily avoid/kill if necessary, not engage in bloody, dehumanizing gunfights. Which also brings up the nature of killing, how the game totes this aura of realism that intends to make you question whether or not it is a good idea to kill someone, which isn't evident when forced into gun-blazing scenarios where you end up punching rednecks so as to save ammo for the monsters. The concept attempted to be fresh, which I enjoyed but it ultimately came down to a post-apocalyptic zombie-survival scenario where the zombies (which act like zombies) aren't actually zombies, but in all senses still are.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this game wholly, it felt like I was playing the best Resident Evil game since 4 (which is still one of the best horror games of all time). It didn't strike me as a perfect 10 but it was a well polished, interesting story with great characters but a few gameplay and enemy flaws that would stop me from giving it a higher score.
  93. Jun 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wouldn't say this game is perfect, but it certainly is a Masterpiece. I've been waiting for this game since it was announced back in 2011, I pre ordered it in 2012, the wait was long, but it's finally here. (prologue/intro), The game starts with Joel's daughter waking up to uncle tommy's phone call, you walk down the hall to Joel's room to find out what is happening, you see on the TV that something bad is happening when explosion happens and then you turn to the window and realize that it was really close to the house, you walk down stairs to find your dad, you find him and he tells you that something is very wrong, a neighbor gets in the house, Joel Shots him and he walks with his daughter and tells her that something is not right, soon later, you get in the truck of Uncle Tommy and drive off, as you sit in the back you see that everything is starting to go to hell, people houses are burning, police cars everywhere, people running left to right. The 3 characters (Joel, daughter, and tommy) had to leave the car after it was crashed, they go down a hall to find out there we're more infected there, they run into a bar and tommy tells joel and his daughter to run and he will catch up, you run down a hill and then up to meet up with a military personal. he tells them to stop and then shoots them, they both roll down the hill and Joel stands up to find out that his daughter was shot, shortly after she was dead. This seen was the most emotional/heart breaking part of the game, for me, even though I didn't know the character very well, I felt very sad to see the little girl die in Joel's arms. The game is very emotional and compelling, it's no Uncharted, this game is a lot more darker than the previous work of Naughty Dog. It's a much slower pace compared to Uncharted and the characters seem to be more alive, you could feel their emotions a lot more. The voice acting was amazing, the soundtrack is one of the best I have ever heard in a Video Game, the graphics had it's ups and downs, sometimes it looked better than Uncharted 3 and sometimes is looks a tiny bit worse, but lets not forget that this game is a lot bigger than the previous franchises and has a lot more stuff going on, it's also running on the PS3, which is an old piece of hardware. There is some texture pop ins and their was some glitches, but nothing that would ruin the experience. The AI is very smart, you can not run and gun in this game, if you do, you will find yourself very frustrated, because this is more of a stealth kind of game, the bullets and items you find (to craft stuff) are limited, sometimes you will think; 'hey, I have plenty of bullets, I could probably just blast everything up', well... You can't, trust me when I say that you will run out of bullets fast, specially if you're playing the game in Hard or Survivor. The AI (infected and people) cannot see the AI (Ellie and other partners), unless they spot you, then they will attack Ellie and or the other people you are with. Naughty Dog did this on purpose, because they didn't want your partner/s to get in the way. The Controls feel smother than Uncharted 3's, you cannot, jump to things and climb stuff like Drake can, when you see Joel run, climb etc... you could feel like a heavy feeling, you could tell that he can't do all that stuff that Drake can do, you could tell that he's just another person trying to survive. The atmosphere is perfect, I had Dead Space (the franchise) in first place when it came to that, but The Last Of Us is just so much better. This is an amazing game that everybody should experience, great story, great character development, good graphics, really good mechanics and amazing atmosphere. I recommend 10/10 or 5/5 Expand
  94. Nov 15, 2014
    this game is fantastic if you have a playstation you must buy it
    but 10's and best game ever are a bit much for it
    and the hype OMG that **** will make people hate it
    STOP IT, i will give it 8 because i enjoyed it that much.
    thanks for reading my simple opinion :)
  95. Jun 27, 2013
    This game is almost immediately evocative of works such as The Road, and the lesser-known Earth Abides, with strong hints of "I Am Legend". It plays like Uncharted, meets Fallout, meets the original Resident Evil.

What I'm going to cover first is the centerpiece of the game, the characters. The highly detailed character graphics, intricate facial animations, and sincere voice acting set a new high standard for the video game medium all by themselves. These technical aspects, combined with excellent characters that simply ooze verisimilitude, form something truly special. The end of the game in particular made me think that the voice actors must have done a minimum of 1,000 takes to achieve the perfect subtlety they deliver their lines with.

The controls and gunplay are realistic, but not as realistic as the brutal depiction of violence which is so realistic that it's not even fun in the "wee!" sense. This seems to be the entire theme of the game. It is the opposite of a bullet hell shooter but even more frantic. It is, in turns, nerve-wracking and heart-wrenching (if you have any semblance of a soul residing in the dying coals of your heart) the fresh take on "zombies" as presented by the Fungus-controlled Infected such as Clickers, delivers an apt sense of dread and tension. If you think that's a negative, you might want to stick to Zen Pinball 3D. In giving you pleasure while not being pleasant, The Last of Us elevates the medium to new heights; even making me pause and wonder if "game" is the correct word for it, despite the fact that you are given full control and are able to tackle any given situation with great freedom.

From a design perspective, The Last of Us is a well-oiled machine. It makes great strides in eliminating the disconnect between gameplay and story, known as ludonarrative dissonance, almost universally present in any action game that tries to present an unique story. The rules work almost the same in a cutscene as they do when you have control of the characters. Joel cannot be shot in the eye 20 times during the course of playing and be totally fine, and then need a trip to the E.R. when he stubs his toe in a cutscene.

Both my wife and I completed the story in about 18 hours. To give perspective, we don't rush through things, we explore and experiment quite a bit. I was obsessed with what the length of the game would be before I played it, and I now see that this was folly. I like to get a lot of playtime for my 60 dollars, but it would have been a huge disservice to us for Naughty Dog to artificially extend the playtime just for that reason (although you can argue that's what multiplayer is). The game is as long as the story, and any significant changes to what we ended up with would have ruined it. Do not wish for this to be a longer or shorter game. What value The Last of Us does not deliver in Skyrim-esque length, it delivers in sheer quality.

Speaking of multiplayer, I haven't even redeemed my online code yet and there's a chance that I may never (honestly, the story isn't "Campaign Mode", "Story Mode", or "Singleplayer Mode, it's just the game), so all I can say is that I'm intrigued by the playmode where there are no respawns; as it has the potential to alter the ubiquitous "LEEEROOY JENKINS" enthusiasm plaguing most online multiplayer games. Nobody's going to want to do that if it means they have to wait until the next match. The multiplayer mode also includes elements from the actual game, such as crafting, and the current modes center around the concept of survival but do not feature non-human enemies from the game, such as Clickers, or those things that are more deadly than Clickers.

And that, Dear Reader, is the best and most accurate spoiler-free review that you will read for The Last of Us. You need not read any other, especially not those that risibly pan the game just for attention. In fact, you shouldn't even be reading what I'm typing right now, because you should be buying or playing the game.
  96. Jul 4, 2013
    STORY: The Last of Us is dark, intense, suspenseful, and at the most unexpected times... it's beautiful. Be warned this is not Uncharted, nor is it a standard zombie apocalypse story. The main narrative follows the relationship between Joel and Ellie, two of the most complex and fleshed-out characters you will ever encounter. From the start you will understand where they are coming fromSTORY: The Last of Us is dark, intense, suspenseful, and at the most unexpected times... it's beautiful. Be warned this is not Uncharted, nor is it a standard zombie apocalypse story. The main narrative follows the relationship between Joel and Ellie, two of the most complex and fleshed-out characters you will ever encounter. From the start you will understand where they are coming from but over the course of the game you will form such a deep and profound connection with them that you will want to play it all over again. At it's core The Last of Us is a tale of survival and is constantly begging questions, tossing around morals and justifying causes, but it never feels forced, they want you to explore this topic and are letting you decide how you feel about it. This game somehow manages to find beauty in even the bleakest of moments, but I'm not talking about visuals yet, I'm talking about the unexpected moments that will make your heart wrench and your eyes water without overwhelming you with giant epiphanies. Bioshock Infinite, a game I also enjoyed, had moments where the plot was too much, where the twists and turns made your head ache, The Last of Us never does that though, instead it plays with your emotions, effectively drawing you deeper into the experience. This story has so many layers and dives into such profound issues that you will continue to gain appreciation. This is where many of the negative jabs come from, from those not mature or ready enough to handle the narrative it offers.

GAMEPLAY: The way you can bash an enemy's face against a desk or blow the head off another survivor is undoubtably brutal and intense. This is definitely not a game for children and can have a strong impact on even the most prepared adult. There was not a life I took in this game that didn't feel real, every kill is felt, and every murder pushes you further on the edge of your couch. Ammo is scarce, as well as the supplies you need to collect to craft weapons, traps, and medical kits, making you feel truly desperate. There is no regenerative health, no ammo crates, no stores to buy upgrades, you must scavenge everything. With most enemy encounters you will have the option to stealthily take out your opponents, attack head-on, or occasionally sneak away. There are 2 basic enemy types, human and infected, human encounters are fierce, brutal, and desperate, while infected encounters are much more subtle, terrifying, and stealthy. What makes the gameplay so amazing though is the balance of everything, you never feel like a portion is too easy or too hard, too stealth-based or too combat-heavy, all of the upgrade systems coincide well and there are few weapons you won't have a need or desire to use.

MULTIPLAYER: There is not a gamer in the world who doesn't get a little annoyed or put off by the fact that some story-heavy games put a focus on multiplayer. However usually multiplayer for games like this are just bland. Games like Tomb Raider, God of War Ascension, Bioshock 2, or even the Uncharted sequels, but The Last of Us just isn't like those. There are only two game modes to play, the one I prefer is called Survivors. It pits two teams of four against each other on a map where crates of supplies are scattered everywhere, they are essential to your survival as they contain scraps and parts used to make weapons and health kits, they are also very necessary because if you die, you die, and you don't re-spawn, you play until one team wins four rounds. It re-envokes that desperate feel I mentioned earlier when talking about the campaign, and to put matters worse your enemies are human, not AI, and they are just-as clever as you. Plus the multiplayer has an overarching meta-game where you are put in charge of a camp of survivors and must continue to provide food for them as your camp grows and as problems occur. The way this integrates with the matches is that parts you collect in matches from crates or players you kill goes towards getting food, plus you will occasionally be given challenges such as killing a certain number of enemies in a match to prevent sickness from breaking out in your clan. The larger your clan gets, the more upgrades to your weapons and character you receive.

And yes everything else I haven't discussed is amazing, the graphics are easily the best of this console generation, the characters you encounter are awesome (TESS!!!), and the subtle, yet epic soundtrack. This is easily my favorite game of this generation and maybe my most favorite of all time, when rating games I never giver perfect scores but because this ranks so high, I can't help but reward a 10 out of 10.
  97. Jul 28, 2013
    I'd like to start by saying that this is a phenomenal game and is very deserving of a 9/10 at least, if not 10/10. I'm definitely not exaggerating when I say that this is one of the best games I've ever played.

This is one of the only games that I've seen that can evoke emotions through it's masterful use of dialogue and storytelling. Naughty Dog definitely took a risk with such an emotional introduction and it paid off. This game had me hooked from the beginning. The narrative takes a cliche idea and gives it a refreshing twist. The voice acting is some of the best I've seen in a game thus far, only being slightly beat out by Mass Effect 3. The characters are dynamic and clearly develop as the story progresses. The combat system is very fluid and easy to use for first time players of 3rd person shooters. The enemies are intelligent and actually do use tactics to try to make your life as hard as possible; a pleasant change from the common enemies in most shooters. The landscapes are beautiful and very detailed. Each location is set apart from the others with its own individual weather patterns and foliage, making it difficult to become bored with exploring each setting.

The crafting/upgrade system could be a bit more complex since scavenging for supplies is such a large part of the game. The friendly AI is somewhat dodgy in that they are apparently not ever seen or heard by enemies when in stealth mode. This could be helpful in that it could cause much frustration if they were seen. I have not experienced any bugs that you may read about in other reviews. The ending left me somewhat unsatisfied, but rumors that it may become a series quickly relieved me.

I'm usually not a fan of super hyped games, but I'm glad people talked me into getting this game. I would highly recommend buying this game if you have a PS3. If not, I would urge you to get a PS3 for the sole purpose of playing this game. It is definitely one of the best games of the year thus far and quite possibly one of the best of my generation.
  98. Sep 6, 2013
    The rumors are true. This game really is as great as everyone is saying it is! The game has amazing characters, an amazing setting, an amazing story only rivaled by that of Half life games and Bioshock games and a great crafting system where you decide what materials to pick up and what you should use them on. The combat may take time to get used to but its well worth it and the graphicsThe rumors are true. This game really is as great as everyone is saying it is! The game has amazing characters, an amazing setting, an amazing story only rivaled by that of Half life games and Bioshock games and a great crafting system where you decide what materials to pick up and what you should use them on. The combat may take time to get used to but its well worth it and the graphics push the limits of the PlayStation 3! Is it an amazing game? perhaps a masterpiece? yes! Expand
  99. Aug 5, 2013
    This game is in the top 3 best game I've ever played. The athmosphere is incredible. The characters are so attaching. Each moments of this game stay in your mind. This game is a Masterpiece to the beginning until the end. Ellie and Joel are the perfects characters for this game. The story is great but what makes this game unique is the relations between Ellie and Joel. The graphics areThis game is in the top 3 best game I've ever played. The athmosphere is incredible. The characters are so attaching. Each moments of this game stay in your mind. This game is a Masterpiece to the beginning until the end. Ellie and Joel are the perfects characters for this game. The story is great but what makes this game unique is the relations between Ellie and Joel. The graphics are amazing...well this game is wonderfull. There's still annoying lags and AI are quite idiotic but the rest is awesome. Expand
  100. Sep 18, 2013
    I'd been looking forward to this game for months and when it was released i have to say i was disappointed, it didn't grab me from the start, i found it a bit linear and there was nothing new going on, and after a few plays it got put back on the shelf. I picked it up again last month and tried again and this time without any of the expectation i had last time i was completely drawn in toI'd been looking forward to this game for months and when it was released i have to say i was disappointed, it didn't grab me from the start, i found it a bit linear and there was nothing new going on, and after a few plays it got put back on the shelf. I picked it up again last month and tried again and this time without any of the expectation i had last time i was completely drawn in to Joel and Ellie's world, it has got to be the must captivating game i have ever played, and i've been gaming for longer than most gamers have been alive! I loved the characters and the story, it was all quite believable, the game play was excellent, i loved how you could explore some sections without coming across another living think (though you expect something to jump out round every corner!). By the end i didn't want to stop playing. Sequel? Probably, they wouldn't invest this much time and energy(cash!) into developing a game like this then not try to milk it a little more, but in a way i hope not as it can't hope to live up to the first! Expand

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]