The Last of Us PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.2

1. Jul 10, 2013
    I created an account for the sole purpose of attempting to save a few people some money; this game, while decent as an entire package, comes across to me as a venture into gaming redundancy. I will not be discussing the particulars of the story or game mechanics, both to avoid spoilers and to prevent this from turning into a term paper. While TLOU does manage to incorporate an averageI created an account for the sole purpose of attempting to save a few people some money; this game, while decent as an entire package, comes across to me as a venture into gaming redundancy. I will not be discussing the particulars of the story or game mechanics, both to avoid spoilers and to prevent this from turning into a term paper. While TLOU does manage to incorporate an average level of quality in each aspect, the game overall comes across as a dud, mainly because as I played this game I couldn't get rid of the overbearing sensation that I had already played this game's prequels and that each of these, either in their own way or as a whole, were much much better than this latest release:

If you've played stealth-focused games such as Dishonored, Metal Gear, or Deus Ex you've already experienced far more advanced and enjoyable stealth mechanics.

If you've played adventure-based games such as Far Cry or Bioshock you've once again enjoyed better battle and combat interface mechanics.

If you've played puzzle-based games such as Prince of Persia or any other game that incorporates more than a ladder/plank combo...enough said.

And by far the worst and most over-hyped category, the carbon copy mix of Zombie-Survival, Coming-Of-Age, with a dash of familial bonding, was the greatest disappointment for me, as most games I am willing to forgive almost all assuming the story can bridge the gap between a lack of mechanics and my enjoyment. In this case, for me, the gap was only widened.

While I understand that all creations, particularly in the entertainment industry, rely and build upon previous ventures, the lack of creativity or any sign of originality in this game, to me, is unforgivable and undeserving of the seemingly fanboyish reviews it has received. This game is worth playing to kill some time or as an introduction to the genre if you are just entering the gaming scene, but in no way was it worth $60; wait for the GoTY edition it is almost certain to be developed into or borrow it from one of the multiple friends you have who have almost certainly already picked this up.
  2. Jun 20, 2013
    Now, I don't really buy games as much as I used to now that I'm older, though I do follow the gaming industry closely and tend to buy only the "best" games that come out. When I do play a game though, I take it seriously, and want something that hooks me with a good balance of challenge and reward, and great gameplay. Well with the hype this game had behind it and the scores how could INow, I don't really buy games as much as I used to now that I'm older, though I do follow the gaming industry closely and tend to buy only the "best" games that come out. When I do play a game though, I take it seriously, and want something that hooks me with a good balance of challenge and reward, and great gameplay. Well with the hype this game had behind it and the scores how could I have been ripped off by another game like bioshock infinite (which blatantly dumbed down and removed gameplay)? Welp I was, and I've officially lost complete faith in gaming. This game is living proof that gaming is dead. It's been more than 8 years since the release of resident evil 4, yet this game doesn't even attempt to outdo gameplay standards set in the survival genre this game is (laughably) trying to claim it belongs to. In fact, it's gameplay should be completely unacceptable in the year 2013, but the unwashed masses who bought into the console craze "because of duh grafix!" will throw their hands in the air and claim this and every other overhyped game like it is "duh best game evarrr!!!". I'm sorry but if you only play games for the graphics, blood, and story, and you don't value gameplay you are not a gamer, and I am now convinced the mainstream console audience and the audience these games are aimed at are not gamers. This game is nothing different than the same old handholdy LCD shooter we've been seeing all generation long, cover based shooting, simplistic gameplay leading you from cutscene to cutscene, checkpoints every few steps, dull brown and grey graphics, ect. The only reason this game is getting so much praise is because of the hype behind it, people are like sheep and go right along with the hype, afraid to say anything that conflicts with common opinion. If the game wasn't made by naughty dog and had no hype behind it, it wouldn't be getting anywhere near the praise. Want proof? Look at all the good reviews, all they say is "best game evarrrrr", they won't give reasons though, and if they do they're related to graphics or some other element irrelevant to the game itself or how it plays. The game is also awfully glitchy considering it's made by "The best developer of this generation", what a joke, can't even get the save system right, me and my friend had to play it all in 1 sitting, not like it matters because games today are so short and simple. I seriously wonder how long it will be until they phase gameplay out all together and just go back to making FMV games, or QTE driven games, because mark my word, that's the direction these amateur developers who run the industry are setting gaming up to be headed in. R.I.P. gaming. Expand
  3. Jun 24, 2013
    I have finished the game earlier this week, since then I had some time to reflect about it.

After getting over my „fanboism“, cause I have been awaiting this game for quite a while, to look at it from a more neutral perspective, I must say that “The Last Of Us” is OVERRATED! Now bear with me, I'm not saying by any means it’s a bad game, it’s a piece of art, a masterpiece even, very

Now bear with me, I'm not saying by any means it’s a bad game, it’s a piece of art, a masterpiece even, very beautiful, especially visually. But hearing “the best game of this generation” or “the best game EVER made” is very false to me. Let me try and help you to understand where I'm coming from:

Once I have looked past the eye candy, I noticed the gameplay is very shallow and repetitive, the infected lack variety with only 4 types and the humans have a very flawed AI which is very exploitable (also doesn’t help that you keep on killing the same 5 guys cause there aren’t that many enemy skins). The Puzzles, if you could even call them that, are no challenge at all, and only require you to push a ladder from point A to point B or drag a dumpster around for a little while so you can climb on it. The game is far too forgiving, even on the hard setting, keeps on holding your hand, treating you like a little child, generating checkpoints after every minute and even giving you more ammo and med packs out of nowhere when you run out. It just seems overall like it was designed for the casual gamer, so parents and infants could easily beat it. In short, it offers almost no interesting challenges or compelling gameplay surprises.

Now lets get to the story (which most people claim to be the strongest part of the game), its full of clichés from previous post apocalyptic zombie scenarios, and even at its best moments it never reaches the depth and feel a good movie could provide. It feels more like a budget tv-series with a very limited cast, so I really don’t understand when people claim to have cried while playing it.

That all being said it still was a very enjoyable experience, which I’m glad I had the pleasure to go through. The best part about it truly where the visuals, some of the best I have ever witnessed in a video game, and the 2 main characters Ellie and Joel (even a later Villain) where some truly detailed and interesting characters which made out the main charm of the game.

Video games where always about the gameplay to me, and I find The Last of Us has a lot of problems there. I think the whole “Let’s try to be a movie” approach of video games is really getting old.

I still highly recommend it to anybody who likes video games, or art in general, I didn’t mean to sound too negative about it I just wanted to express why I think game sites giving it 10 out of 10s is complete ****

But hey, its just my opinion.
  4. Jul 3, 2013
    What happens when you create a game where stealth is absolutely dreadful and combine it with retarded crafting system? The most OVERHYPED game of the year 2013. I've had my share of these games earlier and im just about sick of playing these "games" where you watch cut scenes every 5 minutes.

First of all, how come you make medic pack from a rag and alcohol? That's right, you shouldn't be able to do it. Instead of putting lots of tiny details into the game or hiding looting items to smart places they have to throw items into our faces. Somehow i don't see how its possible to find everything so easily in police controlled state. Without forgetting there is some kinda virus lurking around and people are going crazy.

Graphics aren't top class either and there just doesn't seem to be enough freedom of exploring in the game. This leaves the game dumbed down and ultimately a very boring experience.

[Remember that by thumbing all opinions down you are supporting game makers and developers to make more cash in games for casuals, like this one.]
  5. Jun 23, 2013
    God damn it, The Last of Us™ is not only criminally overrated, but an actively bad game. The plot is bereft of any innovation, and is advanced only by long, LONG cutscenes which lead to MASSIVE 'cinematic' walking/running from point A to point B, stopping only to shift the occasional ladder or mash buttons in unfun quicktime events. This part of the gameplay (which essentially amounts toGod damn it, The Last of Us™ is not only criminally overrated, but an actively bad game. The plot is bereft of any innovation, and is advanced only by long, LONG cutscenes which lead to MASSIVE 'cinematic' walking/running from point A to point B, stopping only to shift the occasional ladder or mash buttons in unfun quicktime events. This part of the gameplay (which essentially amounts to poorly rendered cutscenes and is obvious filler) is only broken up by further cutscenes or sudden outbreaks of chest-high walls, which precipitate another tedious bout of the game's stiff, unresponsive and awkward third-person shooter aspect.

Do you see all the perfect scores this overblown, poorly designed travesty got? RIP gaming journalism. If you know anyone that considers this game more than a 5 out of 10, put them down. The infection has already taken their mind, and you're doing them a mercy they don't deserve.
  6. Jun 18, 2013
    First 15 minutes are great, after that the games has its moments (especially in the beginning) but then it starts to lose its charm. gameplay average third person shooting, solid brawling (good feel), kinda plagued with "gimme a hand" moments, graphic and sound are great, lot of really nice touches in the environment and animations of Joel and Ellie, good dialogues and not so great storyFirst 15 minutes are great, after that the games has its moments (especially in the beginning) but then it starts to lose its charm. gameplay average third person shooting, solid brawling (good feel), kinda plagued with "gimme a hand" moments, graphic and sound are great, lot of really nice touches in the environment and animations of Joel and Ellie, good dialogues and not so great story (few WTF moments and taking the way too much risky road for the sake of actiony gameplay). Giving it a lower score to balance out other overhyped reviews. (imo it is 6-7/10) Expand
  7. Jun 19, 2013
    The Last of Us. Extremely favorable reviews seem to follow this game everywhere. But I cannot seem to figure out why. Graphics are OK. Nothing special, nothing new. I myself found FarCry 3's graphics much better. I am a huge fan of survival horror games but this is neither. It's just a stealth game with limited ammo, and the gameplay is clunky and repetitive. The story is boring andThe Last of Us. Extremely favorable reviews seem to follow this game everywhere. But I cannot seem to figure out why. Graphics are OK. Nothing special, nothing new. I myself found FarCry 3's graphics much better. I am a huge fan of survival horror games but this is neither. It's just a stealth game with limited ammo, and the gameplay is clunky and repetitive. The story is boring and predictable and never really shines. The characters are drab and I forgot about them as soon as I finished the game. I had to force myself to finish it by the way. I am appalled at the good reviews this game has been getting. Do yourself a huge favor, Rent first! One of the WORST games I have ever played. Shame on you developers and critics alike. Expand
  8. Jun 16, 2013
    This game is not as good as some may say. if you like a slow game that is stealth based then maybe. dont buy this game if you want action or a fast pace. the graphics are better than uncharted but the rest of the game is worse. the controls suck and are sluggish. the combat is so bad that you almost have to play the game stealthy. not worth $60. maybe worth $30 for a used copy if youThis game is not as good as some may say. if you like a slow game that is stealth based then maybe. dont buy this game if you want action or a fast pace. the graphics are better than uncharted but the rest of the game is worse. the controls suck and are sluggish. the combat is so bad that you almost have to play the game stealthy. not worth $60. maybe worth $30 for a used copy if you really want to play it. dont buy this game expecting alot other than good graphics and keep you hopes low so maybe you wont be disappointed. just my opinion but this game is WAY over rated. Expand
  9. Nov 3, 2014
    It was an average movie which a stereotypical Booker Dewitt hero and typical B grade cinema storyline that I've seen multiple times before, most of all there was nothing extraordinary about the gameplay. I think this team was embarrassed to make a video game.
  10. Nov 23, 2014
    I had moderate expectations when I picked this game up a few months after it came out, and it didn't even surpass those. I don't honestly understand the tongue bathing this game got with its hype, it's overrated to the point of being a joke.

The main leads Joel and Ellie are both unlikable and flat as characters, they're boorish, lacking personality other than pretty much a single defining feature (Grizzled macho douche for Joel and angsty teen for Ellie) and it changes very little. Every support character may as well have a sign stapled to their forehead saying "I will die or turn evil", and I'm pretty sure the enemy AI isn't allowed to dress itself in the mornings, very easily manipulated or spazzy.

The combat is duller than a bucket of beige paint at a paint drying convention. The "stealth" mechanics are poor at best, sneaking up on enemies is pointless and once you get seen, there is no way to break line of sight so they have to search for you, they just instantly know where you are no matter how you try and hide to recoup. The weapon mechanics are nothing to write home about, it's an over the shoulder shooter no different than Resident Evil 4, Gears of War or Mass Effect 2 & 3. I found the controls a bit sluggish as well, and the crafting system, though appropriate for the game type, was okay but not great.

The story was so predictable that I predicted every single major plot point BEFORE it happened. It tries to hide the fact that it's basically a zombie game by not labelling the zombie-like enemies zombies and the 'clickers' are frustrating at best, if you have more than one coming at you (or coming at you from behind), you're boned.

The only thing I can recommend is the graphics, better than the Uncharted series, but without a good story or characters, this game is not something I could recommend.
  11. Apr 15, 2014
    the initial hype I had for this game was thwarted after seeing it wasn't going to be on the xbox but my buddy hyped it back up for me and talked me into a play through. I fell asleep. the first 4 hours is a bore fest of picking up items, walking really slow, helping a girl swim in a repetitive manner of grab this go here come back and then you can continue. the dialogue between thethe initial hype I had for this game was thwarted after seeing it wasn't going to be on the xbox but my buddy hyped it back up for me and talked me into a play through. I fell asleep. the first 4 hours is a bore fest of picking up items, walking really slow, helping a girl swim in a repetitive manner of grab this go here come back and then you can continue. the dialogue between the characters wasn't interesting to me and the story's pace was to slow to keep me interested. the 3rd person shooting is straight out of the 90's. graphics are alright. Expand
  12. PWG
    Dec 26, 2013
    Overrated and overhyped.

Hear me out, first. When you think of a game, what's the first thing you think of? If what you said was any of the following, you probably don't know what a game is: Graphics, soundtrack, acting, story, any type of rating All of those are nice little features, but the correct answer is game-play. That isn't an opinion (maybe in the context of my
    Overrated and overhyped.

Hear me out, first.

When you think of a game, what's the first thing you think of?
    Graphics, soundtrack, acting, story, any type of rating
    All of those are nice little features, but the correct answer is game-play.
    That isn't an opinion (maybe in the context of my question), but game-play is the most important thing when it comes to a GAME. Everything else can combine to make a MOVIE. There's a difference between the two.

Now onto The Last of Us.
    NOTICE SOMETHING ABOUT ALL OF THE "MOST HELPFUL" USER REVIEWS?
    *NONE* of them talk about game-play. Everything but that, actually. This is less a game and more of an experience, which isn't bad, but when the game-play actually is seen, it's incredibly repetitive, either boring or tedious, and the AI is horrendous. I have played this game to the end. Because, again, it's more of an experience the other elements want you to continue. But it's nothing to go back for, and honestly doesn't deserve "Game of the Year" or all these 10's and 100's. This is... an interactive movie, with your "choices" not affecting much at all. There were so many better games this year, yet so many people say this is the best game ever, or of the last decade, and so on. They are wrong. How can their opinion be wrong, you ask? Because when they talk about why they like it, just about EVERY TIME they don't talk about the gameplay, just how it looked pretty and sounded nice. That is not the game they like. They like it for being art, and less a game. Video games are art, yes, but on the list of things that make it art, gameplay is definitely near the bottom, if not at it entirely.

But I suppose I will get many... dislikes, I guess they are, for saying this. Even though it's true. If you liked the gameplay, fine by me, but I thought it was horrendous and is most certainly what everyone overlooks. And that last part is a fact, not an opinion.
  13. Feb 27, 2014
    The game is well done: graphics, animations, sounds and music - 10, but game mechanics - 2.
    In 2 words I would describe the genre like 'walking game', because 95% of the game you walk, walk, climb over fences, walk, solve 'ultratricky' puzzles, like to move a box or a board to climb over a fence or move forward. You solve these puzzles so many times, sssssooooo repetitive. In addition the game is absolutely linear and has 0 replayability. I wonder why it's a top ps3 game here.
  14. Apr 25, 2014
    Why this game got the ratings it got baffles me. Graphics are good. Music is good. Generic backstory, glitchy gameplay, cliche characters, uninteresting dialog, OK voice acting (except for the girl, which is painfully bad). Heavily developer-planned combat scenes mean you either do it their way or you die. No exploration, no deviation from doing exactly what the developers intended.Why this game got the ratings it got baffles me. Graphics are good. Music is good. Generic backstory, glitchy gameplay, cliche characters, uninteresting dialog, OK voice acting (except for the girl, which is painfully bad). Heavily developer-planned combat scenes mean you either do it their way or you die. No exploration, no deviation from doing exactly what the developers intended.

Just where the heck are all these 10s coming from??
  15. Aug 31, 2014
    Good movie with a bad and unnecessary gameplay inside. Multiplayer - not fun. Stealth is made pretty bad. History has a hole and does not disclose the characters up to the end. This is not a game of the year.
  16. Sep 6, 2016
    Is The Last of Us a good game? Not a chance. Boring gameplay, horrible characters, cliched plot, and uninspired graphics. Naughty Dog, why is is it so hard for you to make a good game after Jak-X?
  17. Nov 1, 2016
    Overhyped junk.
    You see:
    Plot is just a mess of stupid hollywood cliches
    Gameplay is generic or below stealh action
    zombie theme is uninsipired and grew old in later years

graphx is good, so youngsters maybe be pleased, but that's it.
  18. Mar 12, 2014
    I dont know what it was, maybe cause i started to play it just after finishing beyond.
    The graphics in TLOU well, in comparsion to beyond they r not that good as everyone says.
    Also the stroy in TLOU isnt the greatest of all time. The game starts to get boring realy fast. After TLOU was getting high reviews it was obsvious for me to play. But after beating the game. I feel not how i
    After TLOU was getting high reviews it was obsvious for me to play. But after beating the game. I feel not how i imagined i would. True - while playing you feel that u r constantly alone and can depend only on each other but putting that aside; I just wanted to play uncharted 2 and 3 again.

If uncharted 2 and 3 ar a 10/10 for me. TLOS is a 3/10
    the game is that bad.
  19. Jun 30, 2014
    I ended up playing Last of Us after all of the hype said it was an amazing game. When I started to play TLOU I was highly disappointed. All the review sites went on about the emotion and how that made the game. I felt no emotion from the boring lifeless, robotic characters.

I played through the first level which is so dull and boring. You just walk around and run a way from the infected people. Nothing amazing what so ever which a clunky character.

As you progress you get to an area where you have to move around some planks. I was already bored up till this point and then that just intensified the boredom.

The character models in Last of Us look nice but the land scape and the cities look dated. Have a look at the grass around the cities. It has no texture.

The combat is just boring basic third person shooting with dumb enemies. The clickers make it a bit tougher but when you figure out that you should kill the ones that kill you with one attack first. The game becomes very easy.

Avoid TLOU like the plague, I seriously couldn't take any more after three hours in.
  20. Jul 19, 2014
    The last of us is a game about how normal society can be reduced to smoldering pile of anarchy chaos and how humans can be changed into savage beasts with selfish motives and ruthless behavior. Let me tell you something about The last of us, it is a **** of overrated crap. it's plot, story, voice acting, characters, and themes are so unoriginal and has been repeated in various games,The last of us is a game about how normal society can be reduced to smoldering pile of anarchy chaos and how humans can be changed into savage beasts with selfish motives and ruthless behavior. Let me tell you something about The last of us, it is a **** of overrated crap. it's plot, story, voice acting, characters, and themes are so unoriginal and has been repeated in various games, movies, t.v. shows, and novels. The whole emotional sequences and hopeless reality is so mediocre, can you imagine how much this has been featured in so many stories. The last of us is a game that is so insignificant and all those critics who give it a perfect score are either half or no brained at all. I would also like to say that I respect everyone else's opinion but ultimately it fails to make a fan of me and fails at being called one of the greatest games. For all those people who were mindlessly indoctrinated, I feel sorry for you but I am not those kinds of people who are pulled into the horde of zombie fans and critics. The only good thing about the game is its graphics which are kind of remarkable, however the rest of it is more or less **** to me. So that is my review of the highly overrated game that dares to call itself The Last of Us Expand
  21. Sep 13, 2013
    As a PC Gamer with a PS3 I had heard of the Reviews of The Last of Us, But In reality the Controls are poor and the game attempted to make you feel emotions for the character but with me it simply didn't work and i just felt like it had a good idea with some good story but it wanted it to bad and failed.
  22. Sep 19, 2013
    Nothing new to see here, just a rehash, you will notice this the first time you wander into a room with appropriately placed cover boxes. You get your canned little girl sidekick and I guess you are supposed to feel attached to her but she is a walking swearing stereotype.
    This game makes very little sense overall. It plays like resident evil but the zombies are fast and can instantly kill you. I understand this is meant to create tension but it ends up being tedious. Navigating the environments is a chore as you wander around with no apparent direction and the only open path leads you to your destination. It feels very artificial. You are given maps and hints that would suggest depth but they are of little use in the muddy darkness.
    Overall it is a disappointment, same recycled plot and characters you have seen in every game or movie in this setting.
  23. Feb 16, 2014
    I got fooled by the reviews on this site... What could I expect? Im an idiot... these are the same people who AAA companies are catering to... the main reason we have FF13, FF13-2,FF lightning returns, RE5, RE6.... lol

I've been playing for 7 hours so far and i'm STILL waiting for something epic to happen. The gameplay is very boring. All it consists of is running from one place to another by climbing holes in walls or avoiding monsters. There was absolutely nothing rewarding me to keep doing this over and over. (I wouldn't mind if it actually had some nostalgic value or stunning reward/story).

Basically, nothing happens unless you "finish the game" which is a complete joke. The game should be EPIC throughout the gameplay.

Instead, it's just a game where you die and repeat a "sneaking" scenario or use limited weapons to kill everything.... then you run through a desert and reach a new boring environment with different buildings and repeat it again. (then you're rewarded with a scene where everyone is relieved for surviving...but nothing else).

This was definitely a disappointment. I refuse to give this game more than a 6/10, which was given based on the graphics and game's intro (which makes you believe you're in for something fun...but it's just a empty).

Whoever says this game has an atmosphere... yeah it does for the first 2 hours... then you realize it was all in your head and you're just performing a Job... it gets boring real quick and suddenly you don't "feel it" anymore.
    Go play RE2. Now that game has a real atmosphere.

Sorry guys, I know my tone is annoying but Im not trying to offend anybody... don't judge my rating by how annoying I sound. Just accept my message, you don't have to agree with it... Try to understand what I mean instead
  24. Jun 4, 2014
    Cons : Great graphic for PS3 hardware, Interesting characters, interesting background story. Lots of cut scenes, Great first 20 mins of the gameplay.

Pros: Plain and easily predicable plot, flat characters, it is a pretty bad TPS game if you love TPS games, annoyingly bad AI. My score is 6,5 out of 10. But i gave it 1 out of 10 because i think it is overrated and i want to make the

My score is 6,5 out of 10. But i gave it 1 out of 10 because i think it is overrated and i want to make the score lower.
    I strongly disagree that this game is rated higher than Red dead redemption, GTA5, The walking dead, Mass effect, Uncharted, some of Final fantasy series and many other PS3 games.
  25. Oct 26, 2013
    I'm sorry man I cannot give this game the solid score everyone thinks it deserves. The stealth mechanics are obviously, blantantly bad. The enemies follow very scripted paths, respond to the exact same decibel levels of noise their friends currently were making seconds ago as an alarm, and will just plain know you're behind them even while sneaking. Scenery great, game play not.
  26. Jul 10, 2016
    I'm a bit late to the part but I finally managed to play this game, and one word has been floating through my mind after finishing it in its entirety.

Overrated. The most overrated game of the decade, perhaps. The graphics seem very impressive at first but once you play it and take note of the textures of enviroment it looks awful, the combat had some good ideas with giving you

Overrated.

The most overrated game of the decade, perhaps. The graphics seem very impressive at first but once you play it and take note of the textures of enviroment it looks awful, the combat had some good ideas with giving you limited ammo and resources to fill more tension in the fighting sequences(nothing revolutionary though), but unfortunately it's all ruined by the mindnumbingly bad A.I. of both the enemies AND your companions, the story and characters are all plagiarized from Children of Men with a twist of Social Justice(ex: all the women are more badass in the game than the men) which makes me regret that I even bought this steaming pile of **** not to mention that this game tries WAY TOO hard to pass of as a movie rather than a video game, and pretty much in conclusion at ITS BEST the game could pass as a mediocre episode of the Walking Dead.

Oh, and did I mention that you only have two maps in the multiplayer and the rest of them you have to buy?

Yeah, **** this game.
  27. Sep 30, 2013
    First of all, I acknowledge the production values of Last of Us (LoU). Great graphics, check. Emotion-ladden story, check. Excellent voice acting, check. State of the art game mechanics, check. LoU has all that.

But just as with Kane&Lynch, Uncharted, the new Tomb Raider or Bioshock Infinite, there’s a lot of fluff and eye candy around the edges but in essence the game mechanics require you to become a serial killer and pretend it’s no big deal at all. Unfortunately, this stereotype largely applies here too even though TLoU hides it a little better by pretending serious issues are at play.

Even though gunning down droves of enemies has been kind of a standard in action games for a long time, the most recent ones, TLoU included, try very hard to make it look very realistic on the surface while insisting on cheap ambushes, predictable plot twists, and hordes of faceless foes just waiting to be slaughtered by the protagonists with very little option to prevent or avoid the conflict.

I’m no longer sure what’s more absurd that as a playing character you kill dozens of people in a row without getting killed yourself or losing your sanity or that your enemies keep piling up despite your track record. If you really want to play a game where all these things are addressed in a truly serious way and with a very strong point delivered, try Spec Ops: the Line.

And if you want to appreciate the production values and story of games such as TLoU without being bogged down by stereotypical and almost dehumanizing gameplay, I suggest watching movie walkthroughs that are becoming popular and contain only minimal gameplay while delivering the plot.

In summary TLoU has great production values but gameplay is sloppy and repetitive, thinly veiled by emotions, graphics, and voice acting. I don't recommend it to play but watching it as a few hours long movie might be a way to get the best out of it.
  28. Jun 2, 2014
    This game is way to hyped. I've played through it, and there are tons of glitches. It might just be that I got the download version. I liked the characters, and there were moments when I felt emotional, but some, my game ended up glitching. It wouldn't even allow me to play, and it's way to over-hyped. It was OK, but not the best.
  29. Dec 10, 2013
    To be perfectly honest, I do not understand the rave about the game. i will start by saying yes it does have a decent story line with few plot holes, nothing good or bad about it, pretty average. However, the game play is God-awful, I feel as though the game play is focused on stealth except all the focused on was the shooting aspect, the shooting works great, but will kill you instantlyTo be perfectly honest, I do not understand the rave about the game. i will start by saying yes it does have a decent story line with few plot holes, nothing good or bad about it, pretty average. However, the game play is God-awful, I feel as though the game play is focused on stealth except all the focused on was the shooting aspect, the shooting works great, but will kill you instantly if you ever use it with zombies. One major thing that annoyed me was different types of zombies, no explanation behind how they came to be, just put in there in an attempt to make extra game play. However in the end, special zombies are what ruined the game for me and I'm sure many others, what makes them stronger? I don't know, no one knows. And one last thing, people say the infection is realistic, it isn't possible for the virus to infect humans that way, Dead Island had it right with the mutated strand of Kuru. 4/10 Expand
  30. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game really does not deserve these ridiculous high scores and reviews. I have purposely created this account just to review this game. I have never reviewed anything on here before. I was really excited for this game I decided to buy it for £31 on the PlayStation Store, not bad really. It starts off good with a strong storyline and decent characters (for a video game anyway) There are a lot of long cut scenes in the beginning which did annoy me. The game play starts off interesting for quite a while and makes you want to keep playing. It was around the time when I had to start transporting Ellie back from Marlene I noticed the game was getting repetitive and slow. The gun control is pretty shocking, the stealth that you need to us in almost every situation is almost non-existent and just doesn't work. I found myself literally replaying the same part more than 30 times and it seemed actually impossible at one point. The game starts getting really slow and just flat-out boring. Walk through all these random walkways/doors/stairs for 2 hours, get to your destination, repeat over and over.I would say the graphics are the best part of this game. Please do try before you buy people. Expand

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Sep 4, 2013
    Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]