8.1

1. Aug 31, 2010
    The Saboteur is set during World War 2, in Paris, France. In the game you play as Sean Devlin, an Irish man who likes to drink and he also has a way with women. The story starts off when a man called Luc asks you to join the French resistance, who fight against the Naziâ
  2. GC
    Jan 3, 2010
    I admit there are flaws with The Saboteur, but even so I love it! I've played it through once already, and I'm now on my second time round. I keep finding new things to do, and I keep reeling from the sheer beauty of the WWII version of Paris rendered in the game. Oh, and it's great fun too!
  3. MartinW
    Jan 16, 2010
    Slag it all you want, this is an impressive free roaming third person shooter. On my keep list.
  4. WojciechG
    Dec 20, 2009
    I was waiting for this title and when I bought it and play first 30 minutes I felt disappointment. This negative feeling was related to the lack of smoothness of controls and movement restrictions (for example pretty difficult climbing). I think this feeling was caused by fact I just completed Infamous that offers much more superior handling. But after 2 hours of play I began to be I was waiting for this title and when I bought it and play first 30 minutes I felt disappointment. This negative feeling was related to the lack of smoothness of controls and movement restrictions (for example pretty difficult climbing). I think this feeling was caused by fact I just completed Infamous that offers much more superior handling. But after 2 hours of play I began to be seduced by the Saboteur. Storyline, complexity and realism of the world of occupied Paris, level of details, cars handling, music and overall atmosphere makes this game one of the best I ever played. Out of any mayn sandbox games I own this one I rank equally to GTA4, but I like to climate much more of the Saboteur. I like Mercenaries 2 that also was gathering my appreciation after long time of play to collect all the trophies, but Saboteur shows that Pandemic considered very seriously the feedback f the gamers from Merc 2 and eliminated the weak points from Saboteur. The Saboteur is the must have for any WW2 and sandbox action adventure games fans. I hope there will be sequel to this title. Expand
  5. tkte
    Dec 8, 2009
    This is one of the best sand-box game on the ps3!. The art graphics give the game a fresh feel. The drinving around town is great....once you get the racing cars. The stealth elements, whilst simplistic, works in some of the missions. Overall, a great single player with with good replay value.
  6. navisb
    Dec 8, 2009
    great game with a rare atmosphere. it's the best gta-like i've ever played with something similar with the universe of "mafia'
  7. DanielW
    Dec 13, 2009
    The game has a old black and white cinema mixed feel with a modern twist which makes it appealing to people who want a enjoyable story. The game play is average and the controls could be improved but are on par with most games. The game is very enjoyable and a lot of fun. Overall I would recommend it to anyone who isn't wrapped up in only flavor of the month games.
  8. RichardB
    Dec 22, 2009
    I am also sick of AC2 and Uncharted getting higher scores than Saboteur essentially they are blockbuster movies like Indiana Jones whereas this is a very good low budget B movie Sure, I played and enjoyed AC2 but it isn't better than the saboteur...in fact, it's boring and so is Uncharted for the final few hours plus the monsters are stupid GTA 4 was good too but massively I am also sick of AC2 and Uncharted getting higher scores than Saboteur essentially they are blockbuster movies like Indiana Jones whereas this is a very good low budget B movie Sure, I played and enjoyed AC2 but it isn't better than the saboteur...in fact, it's boring and so is Uncharted for the final few hours plus the monsters are stupid GTA 4 was good too but massively over-hyped, i am told GTA 3 was much better so saboteur wins for me, i finished the game, completed the side missions then started the game again because i liked it so much so 10 out of 10 Expand
  9. CamT
    Dec 29, 2009
    I really liked this game. It is a free roamer in which you kill nazis. Its got innovative things, like how the city is in black and white if the Nazis control it, and in color if its de-nazi-fied. I really don't understand why it got such harsh reviews. Its a good game, definitely worth a rent. I haven't ran into any glitches. I wish reviews were based more on how the game is I really liked this game. It is a free roamer in which you kill nazis. Its got innovative things, like how the city is in black and white if the Nazis control it, and in color if its de-nazi-fied. I really don't understand why it got such harsh reviews. Its a good game, definitely worth a rent. I haven't ran into any glitches. I wish reviews were based more on how the game is instead of the company behind them. The graphics in this game are good, but the aren't as good as assassins creed II. Not like that should matter, in my opinion, its got more replayablility than ACII. I played AC about half way through the campaign and got bored. This games got many different things to do, from stealing cars, killing strippers, blowing up buildings, or blowing up flying baloons. Anyway, i gave it a 10 because of its playability and storyline. I hate how so blind some critics are. If this game came out 2 years ago, it woulda been a best seller, but now everyone is pushing for graphics over gameplay. Expand
  10. Apr 17, 2011
    This is a huge, open world game set in WWII Paris. The main character is a very likable Irish race car driver turned resistance fighter. Gameplay consists of driving around Paris and the surrounding countryside, planting bombs on various Nazi installations, and engaging in plenty of shootouts. Unlike some open world games, there's a gigantic amount of stuff to do here, with your primaryThis is a huge, open world game set in WWII Paris. The main character is a very likable Irish race car driver turned resistance fighter. Gameplay consists of driving around Paris and the surrounding countryside, planting bombs on various Nazi installations, and engaging in plenty of shootouts. Unlike some open world games, there's a gigantic amount of stuff to do here, with your primary story, secondary missions, and well over 1,000 free roam targets to destroy. You can also collect plenty of vehicles to drive, from race cars to tanks, and acquiring new weapons and other things adds a nice RPG aspect to it as well. I also loved the theme music in the game, it really game it an authentic '40s atmosphere. Overall a fantastic game. Expand
  11. BillPaxton
    Dec 10, 2009
    The Saboteur lets me go all Inglourious Basterd on dem Nazis in a Sin City environment. GTA eat your heart out.
  12. OranguDan
    Dec 12, 2009
    It may not do things as well as other AAA titles but what it does do is allow you to kill Nazis in droves and in imaginative ways. What more could you want? If you wanna real giggle then see what happens when TNT meets the local farm animals ;o)
  13. Sep 12, 2013
    I was torn between an scoring this 8 or 9, obviously I decided on a 9 simply because I loved this game so much.

I've seen too many people comparing this to Assassins Creed 2 based on the stealth aspect and especially the climbing of buildings, yes the climbing in Assassin's Creed is faster and more fluid but the climbing in The Saboteur is much more realistic which is exactly why I enjoyed this game so much, the realism. As far as the stealth part of the game, that too is more realistic & takes more effort than in the Assassin franchise.

The story line in The Saboteur is excellent, aside from only a few instances (Dr, Kwong to be specific) the voice acting is superb, the layout of Paris feels sprawling & real, & the graphics are fantastic for a 2009 game.

There are so many towers, speakers, searchlights, generals, etc. etc. etc. to shoot, blow up or "sabotage" I admit that I myself was a little taken aback by it all, for a moment it seemed a tad tedious but then I realized that for 1) I was focusing way too much on destroying every Nazi outpost in one fail swoop & 2) that is exactly how Nazi occupied France would have looked. Once I started focusing on the story line I became amerced in this game & all those towers & speakers came down naturally.

There are a few tiny glitches in the game but it seems that some people nit-pick way too much about the little things. I have yet to play a game that was perfect & without some flaw. This is an excellent game for anyone whom likes open world, history, a good story & a lot of fun.
  14. Jul 28, 2013
    Summary
    +Brilliant setting bringing home the harshness of living in an occupied country e.g. during free roam you will see people being executed
    +Great Gameplay blending in the combat of GTA4 (but with more refinement) with the climbing system of Assassin Creed +Interesting Story +Good variety of weapons that allow you to adopt various tactics to help beat the Nazis ? The use of
    Summary
    +Interesting Story
    ? The use of greyscale in areas where the resistance isn’t strong, is debateable over whether it enhances gameplay
    ? The use of over 1100 Nazi Targets to destroy is overwhelming, but them again you don’t need to destroy all of them by any means
    -Poor Ending
    -Limited interaction with characters making them less interesting

Full Review
    Some reviewers argue that the Saboteur is just a mixture of features from Assassin Creed and GTA. However the game is far better executed than that. The combat is like GTA4 only polished and refined. The cover system is better polished which is needed particularly in missions where you are not on rooftops. This is enhanced by the two weapon limit mechanic (possible taken from Halo) which while some may argue is too limiting, for me it helped improve the level of tactics used in combat, (I would advise using a Terror Sniper Rifle and the Viper SMS allowing for long range and mid-range effectiveness). However unlike GTA where you just shoot stuff over and over again, in the Saboteur sneaking is important, in particularly the use of disguises (like Hitman) in combination with sneak takeout’s and climbing to rooftops (like in Assassin Creed). Such sneaking provides choice in how to complete missions, either by sneaking or by run and gunning. This level of combat is particularly enhanced by the use of unlocking enhancements by completing certain challenges e.g. if you sneak kill 5 generals, you unlock the ability of silent sneak kills, making sneaking while in disguise easier. All the upgrades in combination with great combat make the Saboteur have one of the best combat systems ever fitted to a game.

With regards to the story there is nothing really ground breaking as it is your standard revenge story. This begins with Dierker killing Sean’s (your character) best mate (Jules). This in combination with the Nazis invasion of France, force Sean and his companions to leave Saarbrücken area and hide out in occupied France. From them on Sean must fight alongside the Residence and eventually a British secret service, in order to discover the location of Dierker. While possible lacking originality the story is enhanced by the setting. This interesting setting of Nazi occupied France (while not historically accurately) provides a fresh setting in the gaming world. Such enhancements are made further by the use of interesting characters. The most interesting of these characters is obviously Sean, who while some have claimed he is a dull stereotype as a drunken Irishman, in fact is a well-executed character with great levels of emotion and determination, and comical one-liners e.g. when running over Nazis “that when f***ing well”. The other characters are also well executed with each having unique personalities, e.g. Veronique (Jules sister) gradually begins to forgive Sean for getting her brother killed, as she becomes more devoted to fighting for the freedom of France. There only two major problems with the story. The first is how the character interactions are limited, making the cut scenes less dramatic as you don’t care for these characters as much as you should. The second failure is the final boss battle with Dierker, which isn’t fun at all. While they try to make Dierker death satisfying, it only amounts to disappointment. Nevertheless despite its flaws the story is interesting and provides a real sense of despair, particularly when the missions getting harder towards the end.

Possible the greatest source of debate in this game is the use of having sections of the map in greyscale (with elements of red e.g. blood) to indicate weak residence in the area. While some have argued this makes the game look ugly, in my opinion it really enhanced the game, as not only did it provide a sense of progression, for by doing side missions (which are a lot of fun) these areas become colourful. Furthermore the greyscale, provided more than a mere paint job, because in such areas in become noticeable more difficult to escape Nazis. The next area of debate is the use of over 1100 Nazi installations for you to destroy. I don’t have much of a problem with this because while it may feel like padding, you only need to destroy some installations to gain enough contraband to buy unlocks etc.

Nevertheless this game is amazing and one I wished they would make a sequel too, possible set in Vietnam, where you could fight for the Vietcong or the USA. However this is unlikely to happen as the Saboteur was the last game developed by Pandemic Studios.
  15. Sep 16, 2014
    This game is actually really enjoyable, with a well constructed story that differentiates from the stereotypical shooter style expected around this period in history. The missions in the game certainly do become repetitive and trying to actually get around stealthily with a disguise can often be a frustration to put it lightly, but for the most part it is a game I find myself continuallyThis game is actually really enjoyable, with a well constructed story that differentiates from the stereotypical shooter style expected around this period in history. The missions in the game certainly do become repetitive and trying to actually get around stealthily with a disguise can often be a frustration to put it lightly, but for the most part it is a game I find myself continually wanting to play. The Saboteur is a game well worth giving a go. Expand

1. The characters are interesting, and so the story is more rewarding than you would imagine. Yes, there are some control issues, but they aren't terrible enough to disregard the game.
  2. Pandemic delivers one of their best efforts, offering an experience that innovates both the sandbox and WWII genres. It’s not without its flaws, but its slick action, cinematic style, and colorful characters rise above its shortcomings.
  3. Pandemic's effort is commendable, but The Saboteur feels like it had a saboteur of its own lurking in the code. No matter how many times I came back to The Saboteur, or how badly I wanted to love the game, the unrefined gameplay became less, and less tolerable.