8.7

1. Feb 1, 2013
    It baffles me why people consider this game to be the best of the year. There's nothing in this game that hasn't been done before and its linearity and weak gameplay are really off-putting.
  2. Feb 7, 2013
    This is not a game; it is an interactive movie, and I use the term loosely. It it not nearly as interactive as other non-games like Indigo Prophecy or Heavy Rain. The choices presented almost never matter. You either choose one of four things to say, which are basically the same thing restated, or you go through the few choices given until you are left with the one that advances the story. Then you walk around and find people to talk to or look at. I thought this would be much more of an adventure games with more inventory items or puzzles. I knew it would have a "choose your own adventure" quality to it, but I didn't realize the choices were almost non-existent. It is the equivalent of watching a poorly-animated direct-to-DVD movie, except your DVD player pauses every few minutes and then you have to pick up the remote and press a button to get it to continue.
    I really don't get it. Practically no puzzles. Pretty much no action. Just dialogue and wandering around.
    Game of the Year? How did that happen?
    The art style is adequate for this type of thing, and most of the voice acting (with the exception of the horribly grating little girl) is decent. OK story, but just read the comics. They are better and nearly as interactive.
    What a disappointment. I'm glad I just rented it.
  3. Jan 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rent, don't buy. My biggest gripe with this game is the ending. Mild Spoiler - none of your choices matter AT ALL. All the fun I had playing the game (of which there was plenty) was completely stripped away by the ending, which is the same no matter what you do, what you say or who you try to save. There is no pay-off. A game like Heavy Rain is much better in this regard since there are multiple endings, and your earlier actions drastically affect how the game turns out, who you save and who is alive/dead. One option allows you to save everyone, and another lets them all die, and so much in between. Characters can die but they don't have to if you save them. But in the Walking Dead everyone who dies will die. I was very keen to replay this game right until the final moment. Now, why would I bother? It makes no difference. Meh... Expand
  4. Jan 24, 2014
    I hate the idea of rating a game on such a polar scale, but I cannot see what everyone raves about with this one.

I love The Walking Dead, both the TV series and graphic novel. I love interactive storytelling (Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls). Having said that, this game is full of sloppy game mechanics, cheesy facial animations, bad voice acting, and a slew of other things that could
    have been fixed and polished with ease. This game feels lazily created, with the only positive aspect being the fact that your choices have a real impact on how the game progresses (well, as real as it gets at this point in gaming—still a long way to go).

Even if I go as far as to admit that this game has a great story, that is simply not enough. The TV series and graphic novel have that story aspect nailed down perfectly, so the video game needed to do more than that. Sure, it allows for choices to be made, but a great video game is more than having a few options.

I realize I'm in the vast minority on this one, but that's what is so great about this site: varied opinions.
  5. Jun 27, 2013
    I don't understand the fascination with this "game." Sure, it had a couple of high points, but for the most part I found it is an extremely slow and boring experience. I don't qualify "decision-making" as gameplay.
  6. Dec 28, 2013
    This was the worst game I have played in a long time. Worst game of the year! The graphics are bland, the gameplay is non-existing, the story is slow, and the time I invested was wasted. The only reason I am not giving this game a complete 0/10 is I feel bad for the designers.
  7. Oct 30, 2013
    This is the most overrated game I've ever played. Bought it and expected a game nearly perfectly done. This game is sadly not. Never mind that the game glitches _all the time_, so bad that I often miss action sequences and dies, that would nearly be forgivable if the gameplay, story, artwork and graphics was good. The episodes are VERY short. The story is linear. The artwork and graphics are bad. Just get The Last of Us instead, that game is just perfectly done. This you should skip until you've exhausted every other option. Expand
  8. Jun 15, 2014
    Not much of a game, more of an interactive movie, but it's quite fun. There's lots of suspense and plot twists which will keep you hooked until the end. Unfortunately, the game leads you to believe that your choices have a real affect on what happens to the characters, but your decisions turn out to be almost totally inconsequential from chapter to chapter. Because of this, there is virtually no replay value whatsoever. If you buy this game you will probably be very disappointed, but if you rent it you will be glad you did. Expand
  9. Jul 31, 2013
    I love the graphics and the story so far. But a game like this relies on immersion. Nothing defeats that as thoroughly as forcing people to use certain keybindings. WASD for movement? Really? Thanks for making that decision for me and ruining my game play experience. So I am slamming this game on a technical level because there is just no excuse for releasing a game on the PC without allowing customization of key bindings. Amateurs! Expand

1. May 27, 2013
    A gaming experience that is truly unlike any other, The Walking Dead should be required playing for anyone who considers themselves a fan of our favourite medium. [Issue#231, p.76]
  2. Mar 17, 2013
    It deserves it as well, because The Walking Dead is a great game, one that truly pushes what can be done with a video game narrative that cannot be done in film or TV.
  3. Believable dialogue from rounded characters who behave as you'd expect real people to. [Feb 2013, p.106]