3.5

1. Mar 19, 2013
    Let's just say that because this game isn't as bad as we thought, doesn't give us an excuse to fool ourselves into thinking this game is decent. We all know the graphics were lackluster in this game, so I will move through that point fast. The graphics are a little better than a ps2 game, maybe early this generation of consoles. The backgrounds looks better than the walkers(only 3 different types) and humans in the game. However, the locations in this game are very generic and boring. Here a few points that I want to hit in this review: As you will notice early on in the game is the combat. While using the knife, you basically have to slap the zombie in the face 4 times causing them to fly backwards as stiff as a board. Later on in the game some melee weapons will allow you to one-hit kill a walker in mediocre style. The knife stealth kill animation is nice at first when you sneak up on walkers, however it gets boring and actually hinders your ability to fight in some aspects. While this animation unfolds, there is no way to stop it, so walkers from all sides of you can hit you while you perform this move. Nevertheless, it would have been nice if they created animations for stealth kills with other weapons, but they didn't. Other weapons can been found such as shotguns, rifles, pistols, a crossbow(of course), axes, bats and other weapons. However, guns usually are the secondary weapon of choice and all guns act the same(since you can only shoot the zombies in the head to kill them). Creating too much noise will cause zombies to come find you(sometimes). That brings me to my next point...the zombie AI. In some situations, the AI is spot on. If you make a noise, they will find you, investigate or they will see you from yards away and confront you. Other times, you can shoot their friend right next to them and they might walk the other way. Also, they cannot reach you if you stand on top of a car or in a train car, giving you the chance to pick them off one by one. This unpredictable nature of the zombies can make the game too easy. Other times, zombies will spawn behind you and overrun you quickly. In this case, there is a real-time event when a zombie grabs you, where you have to line the button up to the zombies head(while pressing it), this in turn puts you one on one with a zombie(in a crowd) and allows you to kill them in one hit. In many cases, it is easier to use this real-time event to your advantage and pick zombies off one by one while fighting a horde. Another way in which this game disappoints is the traveling sequences(staring at a map much of the time), it all gets too predictable over the course of the game. I really wish they allowed you actually drive the vehicle. You can choose three routes(text based choices), which include highways(conserves the most gas). Each of the three choices gives you the chances of finding supplies and breaking down. If you break down, the game will bring you on a side mission to fight a horde of zombies and receive gas and supplies. Again, this gets old after a while. I agree that the inventory works pretty well, where you only have a set amount of space for weapons and supplies. However, collecting the same weapons and supplies over and over(such as energy drinks for health), drags the game down. The voice acting in this game is actually one of the things that shines. Norman and Mike really seem like they put a lot into these roles and make the game bearable. Without those two, the game wouldn't even be worth mentioning. The other survivors do a pretty good job at supporting them, albeit the story is lackluster. One other positive about this game are the survivors. The aspect of having a team and allowing survivors to help you find supplies is a great idea. However, a lot of times the survivors only find 1/3 of what you would find on your own. In most cases the reward isn't that great, but might make a difference when your close to running out of bullets. My final point has to do with the reason many people have bought the game. As a prequel to TWD show, explaining how Daryl got his crossbow. To tell you the truth, I expected an Excalibur moment. Yet, I was very underwhelmed at the point he received his crossbow. I will not go into too much depth, but it was basically like "Oh, ok that's how he got it...that sucked." I feel as though the walking dead's name was sold out here. There was so much source material to make this game great, but it just seems rushed. Also, Merle and Daryl without co-op? What a waste! I really wanted to like this game, since I am a big Walking Dead fan, but it was a 6-7 hour let down. I would say this game is not worth more than $20, if that. There is no game ending glitches that I have noticed yet, but there is nothing special about this game. This game is nothing more than a half-finished disappointment. Collapse
  2. Mar 19, 2013
    this game is very disappointing. no co-op and no online. second rate graphics, zombie AI is very simple. the game drags on and the story is very light. the game had so much potential but it looks like it was thrown together in 6 months. this game has little depth and killing zombies has never been this boring. go out and buy the telltale game of the walking dead or left 4 dead. this game is horrible crap. Expand
  3. Mar 20, 2013
    Anyone who is writing reviews saying that this game is great is totally lying to you or work for Activision/Terminal Velocity. We played this at the gamestop store and it reminded us of a really poorly designed free ipad game. The graphics are on par with a PS1 bargain bin game. The gameplay is atrocious. Zombies mechanically move about the screen and disappear into the air after you defeat them. For a system as powerful as the PS3 to have enemies disappear after you defeat them is just lazy on the part of the programmers. Sure they will probably sucker quite a lot of fans of the series to buy the trite garbage, but give it a month at least because it will be $19.99 or less. This game really should have been $9.99 on the Play Station Network, the other $40 probably is going to licensing of the Walking Dead product. Ugh and if you do decide to play this garbage, just wait for the ending....its truly pathetic. If you dont believe me, the Youtube reviews of this game speak for itself. Im not lying Expand
  4. Mar 20, 2013
    This game is pretty awful. Very frustrating game. No Co-op makes it even worse. C'mon, what were they thinking? Game takes forever to load. Zombies are much quicker on this game than on the tv show. missions are boring. finding it very hard to continue playing.. Don't waste your money. It's not $49.99 for no reason.
  5. Mar 21, 2013
    I thought this game is sandbox or something similar to Dead island but i was wrong. You are placed in small zone running around searching for supplies while killing zombies. Not sure if its a bug but sometimes shotguns dont attract much zombies compared to Crossbow. But anyways Ps2 graphics.. animation is horrible, takes ages to kill zombies, even stealth around means nothing.
  6. Mar 31, 2013
    The graphics would be something I'd amire... However, I can't considering the fact the game was released THIS YEAR. The tiresome gameplay, and old DOS graphics make the game feel like a parody of The Walking Dead, not just a plain licensed videogame. Games don't get much more exausting and unpolished as this one is.
  7. Mar 23, 2013
    I had really high expectations for this game since it was the second game based on the show we all know and love the walking dead, unfortunately this is not even close to be as good as the one from telltale.
    The gameplay gets boring after about an hour because you are always doing the same things over and over even if it's killing zombies with the same bad animations or if it's doing side
    missions, the story was not the worst i have seen but it was way too short and the ending was terrible.
    But it's not only the gameplay and story that's rushed and dull, the graphics can be compared to something made in 2005.
    And added to all that one of the main characters is almost never in the game!
    Do not buy this game if where expecting a long and good story with survival elements!
  8. Apr 26, 2013
    Look, I honestly had 2nd thoughts about even taking time to write this...

The game does something good, and thats puts you in a land thats The Walking Dead. After that its just content thrown into the game. I cant say anything else good about it.

I'd say I had a good time taking my anger out on the zombies for the money I wasted on the game, But That was only when the ZOMBIES
    ACTUALLY CARED TO COME NEAR ME. I guess when the Zombie Apocalypse happens where all gonna be safe cause the zombies are gonna be interested in destroying fences then eating us. Expand
  9. Mar 24, 2013
    i been waiting for this game to come out and i thought awesome but i played it i said wtf this was most worst game i played it made duke nukem forever better. this tiresome zombie all look the same they used basically 6 zombies type used them as repeat clone them nothing more i wish i never preorder this game myself i am going to return it no fooling this 6 hours worth of rubbish the graphics suck they should of made better job of it. actors doing brothers where good dont mind them cause they rule on the walking dead show they should took them alot of time just scrap the entire game re do it from scratch would been better then this.............

The no co op the no online multilayer they gave us herd mode which rubbish enough sand box less then sandbox less room to battle em

ending suck it ended no real ending just goes to black and rolling credits return this game that it
  10. Apr 8, 2013
    Not even the most die hard fans of the series will find anything remotely enjoyable in this broken and boring game. If you want to play a good Walking Dead game, play the game made by Telltale. You'll get your money's worth and then some with that game.
  11. Mar 26, 2013
    Ok guys just have a look at the profiles of those who wrote positive reviews on this piece of crap. Either they are brand new users who just happen to rate this game a 10 or they just give 10's to everything. People like that are paid by the companies who make the games. It's a kind of trend on internet. Companies hire people so they can write as many positive reviews as possible about their products and write negative reviews about the products of others. They are especially numerous when it comes down to video games. These guys are a cancer to internet purity! Also, this game is terrible, my buddy who is a huge fan of Walking Dead GAVE the game to me today because he was so disappointed... Need I say more?! Now I'm stuck with this thing and I will try to resell it to the used video games store for 10 bucks... Wish me luck! Expand
  12. Apr 2, 2013
    Probably not as bad as it originally seems to be, but still... Worst game you've played in a long time. Every idea is badly implemented. Technically it's laughable and it gets a "2" and not a "0-1" because of some good ideas (not their execution) and some jump scares.
  13. Apr 7, 2013
    Honestly this game is just as bad as I thought I was going to be when they said it wasn't going to be Dixon-Coop Online.
    I was dreaming of the day where me and my best friend could be the Dixon brothers and explore the walking dead land's for gas, food, and other essentials and have a true survival game.
    Well that all fell apart when they announced this was single player only, so I
    didn't buy it. Instead I went to my friend's house who happened to buy it and tried about an hour and a half of the gameplay.
    Overall the graphics aren't great, probably a 4/10 for me.
    Story is okay, but lacks in certain areas, I gave it a 6/10.
    The worse part? The controls. I gave them a 1/10, I really don't think Terminal/Activison thought about how they set these controls up. They are absolutely horrifying and downright disgusting.
    I'm honestly being fair giving it a 1/10, because the controls just killed it for me and made me not even care about the other sides of the game.
    (I also thought it was too short and the traveling aspect and gas collection was done poorly.)
  14. Mar 23, 2013
    It's just another FPS, i mean, i love the tv series, the comics and the game they made first was awesome, but this! They could have called this "Call of Duty: Zombies", i won't say anything about the grafics cause i don't really care, but calling this "Survival Instict" is pretty idiot cause there are no elements who make this a survivor game and it doesn't even rappresent how an apocalipse could be, i mean, is more realistic L4D2... Expand
  15. Mar 25, 2013
    An exercise in apathy, almost and mediocrity, The Walking Dead Survival Instinct fails in nearly every regard as a video game. And it sure as hell does it's damnedest to fail in the few areas where it nearly excels.
  16. Mar 28, 2013
    This is far from being the best zombie game out there for PS3. The "Survival It-Stinks" response from many critics is not unfounded. It'll break it down into pros and cons.

Pros:
    +The zombies are loyal to the TV show. There's no Bullies or Spitters or whatever kind of roided up zombies are in other games these days.
    +The idea of choosing various paths looks good on paper, yet
    barely competently pulled off in the game.
    +The game discourages you from firing guns since using them only draws more walkers to you.
    +Norman Reedus and Michale Rooker reprise their roles from the TV series.

Cons:
    -Things get repetitious very quickly. By the third hour of playing this game, you'll be less than motivated to keep playing.
    -No incentive to kill zombies, due to no pick-ups from killing zombies nor any kind of leveling up system.
    -The grapple system when zombies are in your face is shaky, sucking at your health in no time or you end up being stuck in a conga line of zombies one after another grappling you.
    -The environments of the road levels frequently repeat. One instance had me stopping two times for two different items, yet it took place at the same diner area.
    -Little variety in the weapons and distraction items don't work as well as they should.
    -The graphics are PS2 quality, as if the game was in development back in the early 2000's.
    -The ending is one of the stupidest endings I've ever seen save yourself the trouble and watch it on Youtube.
    -$60 is a ridiculous price for a game that you can beat in less than seven hours, as well as no replay value.

If you have a FPS zombie-killing fix you need to satiate, go with anyone of the following games: Dead Island, Left 4 Dead, or Zombie Island of Dr. Ned for Borderlands.

For a better story, go with Telltale's Walking Dead game.

If you feel the needs to be a zombie game completest, wait for this title to drop to 20 bucks which is what it should've sold for in the first place.
  17. Apr 29, 2013
    This game isn't worth the money at all. I bought this game because i thought it was as good as the original "The Walking Dead" game but NO, it wasn't as half as good. I was just disappointed because of how mediocre Therminal Reality's work was, i mean graphic(horrible),gameplay(annoying and boring) and story(will never exceed the TV series). The game itself just feels totally uncompleted(ideas were good, however) and begs me to kill myself. What ever you do do NOT buy it! Expand
  18. Jul 8, 2013
    I can some this game up in a few words. Completely and utterly horrible. I don't know what the developers were thinking when they made this game if they were thinking at all!
  19. Sep 23, 2013
    Wow is this a bad game. The graphics are bad, clunky gameplay/stealth mechanics, same exact places that you have to stop to if your car dies. The characters are really bad and after they got me what I needed I kicked them to the curb and left them for the walkers. There are almost no good things about this game. At least the game makes you use stealth(that is also pretty bad).
  20. Sep 29, 2013
    Un compañero del colegio me prestó este juego porque, según él, estaba muy bueno. Mi reacción: uno de los peores juegos que he jugado jamás, si bien me gusta mucho la serie "The Walking Dead" éste título es una vergüenza total: pésima jugabilidad, gráficos malísimos, no hay un desarrollo que valga la pena; en general: injugable. Prefiero jugar "The Walking Dead: The Game", aunque no lo he jugado se ve venir que es todo lo opuesto a esta PORQUERÍA. Expand
  21. Dec 10, 2013
    I really hopeful for best when i buy this game during Halloween PSN Sale, Gameplay is Worst part since Zombies keep attacking non stop, Story is only good part
    Gameplay: 0/10
    Story: 7/10
    Total: 1/10
  22. Mar 19, 2013

1. You can send out fellow survivors on scavenging missions, the downside of this is that they can fail or , even worse, die. Unfortunately the number of goods they collect is so abysmal you won't care if they make it back or not. [May 2013, p.88]
  2. May 27, 2013
    Genuinely one of the worst games we've ever played. [Issue#231, p.74]
  3. It almost feels as though developer Terminal Reality ran out of money, right on the home stretch. If only the game was shot in the head long before it ever got to that point. [June 2013, p79]