8.7

1. Oct 16, 2013
    Better than the Walking Dead. The Walking Dead and its pint sized protagonist (Clementine) gained mass appeal and rented a place in the hearts of gamers everywhere, however this love affair blinded many to the minor voice acting and gameplay flaws that it presented. These minor blemishes do not show up in the Wolf Among Us as Tell Tale seems to have perfected the formula with stellar voiceBetter than the Walking Dead. The Walking Dead and its pint sized protagonist (Clementine) gained mass appeal and rented a place in the hearts of gamers everywhere, however this love affair blinded many to the minor voice acting and gameplay flaws that it presented. These minor blemishes do not show up in the Wolf Among Us as Tell Tale seems to have perfected the formula with stellar voice acting and a perfect mix of narrative and action including an early fight sequence which closely resembled the opening fight sequence in the sleeper hit Heavy Rain. For a story involving fairy tale characters it is decidedly adult with mature language and mature themes, but this odd mixture of fairy tale and gritty adult themes plays out like a beautifully composed symphony of video game greatness. Tell Tale seems to have translated the wonderous world of Fable Comics and creator Bill Willingham's hit comic book series with flawless execution. Sadly The Wolf Among Us won't sell like The Walking dead sold, but it deserves to. Tell Tale has clearly perfected the genre which they created from a fledgling and admittedly unpolished Back To the Future series to what i believe is their magnum opus in The Wolf Among Us. You owe it to yourself as a gamer to at least try the demo and tell me it isn't great. 10/10 Expand
  2. Oct 20, 2013
    After the success of The Walking Dead Telltale is back and ready to give gamers another dark story set in a comic book universe and fill it with choices. I have no prior history with the Fables series so really I just picked this up because I am a huge fan of Telltale's The Walking Dead game. They truly made the world look like a moving comic book and the dark and gritty take on classicAfter the success of The Walking Dead Telltale is back and ready to give gamers another dark story set in a comic book universe and fill it with choices. I have no prior history with the Fables series so really I just picked this up because I am a huge fan of Telltale's The Walking Dead game. They truly made the world look like a moving comic book and the dark and gritty take on classic fairy tales has me looking forward to seeing where this story goes in future episodes.

Gameplay is a lot like The Walking Dead, you'll control your character and an onscreen reticle in order to interact with the environments, but action scenes have taken a notable step forward. When engaging in a fight quick-time like events take center stage. You'll move a reticle over a specific part of a body in order to attack, and dodging requires moving the analog stick in a specific direction much like in Beyond: Two Souls. These make the action scenes much more intense and because of that I feel that Telltale was free to make these scenes all the more brutal. There wasn't any real puzzles to solve in this episode which was disappointing, but the best part about Telltale's The Walking Dead wasn't always the puzzles; it was influencing the story based on your decisions.

Set in a dark and mature comic book world with a noir theme, it's exciting to think about what kind of tough decisions "The Wolf Among Us" is going to through at us. This first episode doesn't exactly give us that great of a start in that department, which brings the whole episode down. Dialog choices are here but I never really felt like I was making a big impact on who the playable character "Bigby" was as a person. Every time I chose to say something that a character would "remember" or "appreciate" felt pointless because that character showed up dead shortly later. The big moments that influence future episodes also seem lacking. So far I've counted only two that will have any real effect and one of them was rather minor. Overall this doesn't ruin the episode, but it does lower the quality when compared to Telltale's previous work on The Walking Dead.

Still this is an enjoyable first episode. It might not be perfect but it does get me excited to see where Telltale is headed with future episodes. The thought of making tough moral decisions in a morally gray world has me struggling to wait for the next episode. It is clear that Telltale is once again trying to improve on the groundwork they have laid with titles like The Walking Dead and Jurassic Park. If you're a fan of their previous works than I don't see a reason for you to not play this. It's a good start to what is hopefully a great game.
  3. Dec 17, 2013
    If The Walking Dead is the depressing, moving drama of Telltale Games, The Wolf Among Us is the policial with an 80's Vibe, and boy is it good!
    I was never familiar with the Fables Comics until this game was released. The concept is interesting: The character from our favorite childhood stories live among the humans, in New York, disguised thanks to a potion called "Glamour". Bigby, or Big Bad Wolf, is the one that keeps the Fables from killing each other. And there you have it.
    Let's start right off the batch that If you are expecting to sob uncontrollably for hours while watching a father-daughter like relationship in the middle of a miserable world like in The Walking Dead, then this is not the game for you. But if you are willing to look this game as an only title, specially this first chapter, and just try it, you will want more. It is unpredictable, daunting, violent and, maybe just maybe, childhood-ruining (And that is a good thing). I think fans of the comic will be pretty happy with this game, and I will definitely consider reading "Fables" after playing this awesome first chapter of a new Telltale series, that smells GOTY already.
    AND THE GAME IS BEAUTIFUL. Against all odds, the colourful art-style mixed with the dark tone, a finally deserving framerate and comic book design make the game enjoyable to watch and feel. The character development, while short, really packs a punch, and after playing the episode twice, I find myself going back as every time I play again I find some little clues, and new suspicions.
    Anyway, all this greatness comes in a 2-hour episode, and I can't wait for the following ones. "Faith" is proof that Telltale is another company after The Walking Dead, and they want to receive more awards again.
  4. Oct 15, 2013
    What a fun game. Great characters, Fun story. I never had a problem with the controls from the walking dead. So stepping into this game was an easy transition.
  5. Apr 5, 2014
    The Wolf Among Us kicks off a great start to an interesting mystery. The atmosphere is very well done, the characters are well developed and the action scenes are great also. I recommend this to anyone who liked Heavy Rain.
  6. Oct 20, 2013
    Telltale has done it again this is definitely a must buy! The art style is yet again amazing the controls are fluid and responsive the story is compelling and the characters are loveable!
    Can't wait for episode 2!
  7. Oct 20, 2013
    Having never read the Fables comics I was going in with absolute no knowledge of the series or its lore. All I knew was that it was about fairy tale characters who were banished to New York.

The first episode made sure that people like myself were not lost, it presented the characters, the setting very well and even has a guide in case we get lost. The game is on the verge of

The game is on the verge of beautiful, it's very colourful, the characters are very well designed and the story takes off almost straight away.
  8. Jan 8, 2014
    awesome game tell tale u done it again this game bring out all the fairy tale creature into real world add mysterious i love game entirely just hope second episode be as good as first one
  9. Oct 20, 2013
    Significantly better and more stylized than The Walking Dead (also developed by Telltale), but the first episode of this series seemed a little short.
  10. Oct 17, 2013
    The artistic style, concept and music that TellTale have generated out the Fables universe create an extremely tense and noir-ish atmosphere. The numerous wonderous characters are so well designed and their voices and dialogue are perfectly written and adapted for each one. But one has to bear in mind that this is an "interactive" experience where the story plays a bigger part than theThe artistic style, concept and music that TellTale have generated out the Fables universe create an extremely tense and noir-ish atmosphere. The numerous wonderous characters are so well designed and their voices and dialogue are perfectly written and adapted for each one. But one has to bear in mind that this is an "interactive" experience where the story plays a bigger part than the actual gameplay. I would give this game a ten if it wasn't for the many technical issues (choppy framerate, lagging, sound occasionally out of sync). The action sequences in particular suffer at times because of this. I've heard that this is not a problem for PC and Mac users. Anyway, I highly recommend this game! Expand
  11. Feb 10, 2014
    Music 10/10
    Visuals 10/10 , if you like cell shading
    Background story 10/10 , extremely unique Actual story 9/10 , it's exciting but lacks a deeper introduction into the characters relationship Playtime 7/10 it's short - bu there are 4 more parts to come. Just make sure to buy the package, not the chapter Impact of your choices 4/10 it will be different how people talk to you, but
    Music 10/10
    Visuals 10/10 , if you like cell shading
    Background story 10/10 , extremely unique
    Impact of your choices 4/10 it will be different how people talk to you, but there doesn't seem to much influence in the actual outcome.

Overall a really fun and exciting story-telling experience with beautiful sound and visuals.
  12. Oct 19, 2013
    It's hard to really rate until you've played the whole game so this is a strange one but I'll rate episode one.
    Very impressive indeed. The artwork is fantastic as is the voice acting and a real chiller of a story so far.
    I expected that though since the brilliant walking dead raised my expectations of the new full game. What really scores highly with me though is the new fighting
    What really scores highly with me though is the new fighting system which is fantastic.
    Sure it's quick time events but they've managed to put in a real challenge to it so fights fell adrenaline violent and real heart pumping events in the game and are the highlights of an excellent narrative lead story. I can't praise the new system enough, so simple yet so effective why is are we only seeing this now? It's really fantastic.
    There are a few frame rate and loading issues with the game though which if I am to be honest are a little disappointing but bearable.
  13. Oct 25, 2013
    Telltale did very good story telling again. The main Character(s?) are not that interesting so far in this episode 1 than in walking dead, but side Characters are more interesting because they are from stories. Story is interesting. You just want to see what happens next. Sadly there wasn't hard choices (yet i bet), but i really hope there will be in next episodes( really cant wait forTelltale did very good story telling again. The main Character(s?) are not that interesting so far in this episode 1 than in walking dead, but side Characters are more interesting because they are from stories. Story is interesting. You just want to see what happens next. Sadly there wasn't hard choices (yet i bet), but i really hope there will be in next episodes( really cant wait for them)

Good work from the voice actors also. And about the gameplay well there isn't that much. I don't really mind that, i like following the story. Just easy, laying back style works for me and many others i assume. If you loved walking dead you like this one. Just buy it already, its cheap if you ask me 2-3 hours first episode. It really worth's the 4 euros (season pass: 5 episodes 20 euros or 5 euros if you don't buy the season pass.

With all this said i will give this Episode 9 of 10.

story 9 out of 10.

Characters i will give 9 out of 10.

gameplay 8 out of 10.
  14. Oct 17, 2013
    Telltale has done it again!! actually it's not surprising really. They have proved once again that they really have a knack in telling stories. Before we start, the dialogue system and the art styles are similar to those in the Walking Dead. Although I think that both the Walking Dead and this game are extremely good, I personally like the Wolf Among Us better. Why? Let's start with theTelltale has done it again!! actually it's not surprising really. They have proved once again that they really have a knack in telling stories. Before we start, the dialogue system and the art styles are similar to those in the Walking Dead. Although I think that both the Walking Dead and this game are extremely good, I personally like the Wolf Among Us better. Why? Let's start with the fact that Telltale have improved the technical aspect of their games considerably, and I feel that the Wolf Among Us is much smoother compared to the Walking Dead, despite some ongoing technical hiccups (especially when you repeat a QTE section in the game after you died). The action sequences are longer and more brutal and physical and the improved technical aspect have make it even more engaging. The artistic design and the color palette are also creative and breathtaking. I love how Telltale recreate New York in this game. The neon lights and the manipulation of shadow makes the setting of the game seems mysterious and makes you really feel like you are living in a place full of secrets. All of the characters in the game are interesting and this combined with the setting have make fitting in Bigby's shoes very enjoyable. I also feel that the episode (at least the first one) is longer than those in the Walking Dead which adds even more points to this game. For me, one little thing that occasionally takes me off from completely enjoying the game's narrative is there are some occasions when the game gives you such a short time to do or say something is so short that I can barely think about it (I mean I also have to read all the dialogue options available and think about it!!). Overall, this is a must own game, especially to gamers who can appreciate good stories. Expand
  15. Nov 5, 2013
    Telltale Games showed already with The Walking Dead that they are capable of turning great existing franchises into good games, on the other hand they are not for every taste. Games like these that are mostly based on storytelling, emotions, visuals and decision-making might scare off a few people, therefore if you don't like The Walking Dead or more cinematic games (like Heavy Rain) youTelltale Games showed already with The Walking Dead that they are capable of turning great existing franchises into good games, on the other hand they are not for every taste. Games like these that are mostly based on storytelling, emotions, visuals and decision-making might scare off a few people, therefore if you don't like The Walking Dead or more cinematic games (like Heavy Rain) you might want to pass on this, everyone else, you are in for a treat.

The game puts familiar Fables like Snow White, the Beauty and the Beast, etc. in a modern setting. The main character, Bigby Wolf (the Big Bad Wolf) is the Sheriff of Fabletown where most of the Fables now live, he is feared for his past but tries to show that he changed for the better(depends on you choices). The story evolves around a crime that Bigby tries to solve, this is roughly the extend of the story without spoiling anything(I'm sorry for not saying more about the story but it really changes on the way you play). The story however is the strongest point of this game, Telltale excels at making games where you actually feel like your choices change the outcome of the game and change the fate of some of the people you meet along the way,different from example from Beyond:Two Souls where your choices don't matter, here you can get different outcomes depending on what choice you make.

The visuals are highlighted by a very distinct and stylish look that reminds me of a more comic-book style, since this is a game adaptation of a Comic Book it seems very fitting (although every game from them has this style (The Walking Dead, Back to the Future). The artistic style goes very well with the fable storyline.

The voice acting is fantastic and in combination with the writing keeps you engaged and interested in the characters but since it was only the first episode they always leave you wanting to know more about specific personalities. Especially intriguing is the fact that all we actually know all the characters (from all the books, movies and stories) but it still feels like meeting and getting to know new people because of the modern setting of the game. At the same time you feel familiar with the characters and curious how those characters developed and fared over the years.

The game isn't perfect though, it has two problems in my opinion. The first being that the console versions (I watched a playthrough on the 360 and played it myself on the PS3) have some lag problems, especially in the fight scenes which can take you out of the experience. The 360 version in particular had some extended loading and lag problems. I recommend playing it on the PC if you can.
    The second problem is much more confusing to me since they changed it for the worse from The Walking Dead series. For every choice you make there is a timer running, which puts you on the edge every time you have to make a decision, in The Walking Dead they only used a timer in action/fighting scenes which enhanced the experience because it conveyed the feeling of urgency, for the rest you could take your time, read the options and think about the possible consequences. Now the gamer is rushed for every decision and in a few instances you don't even have the time to read all the options. I really hope they go back to the old system.

Again, I can only recommend everybody to play this game, it is a fantastic experience that presents something unique in the gaming culture and a welcome change of pace from high-octane action games.
  16. Nov 16, 2013
    Telltale has delivered yet again! Based upon the popular "Fables" graphic novel, the Wolf Among Us acts as a sequel, starring the rugged sheriff Bigby Wolf (Big Bad Wolf). This is a really cool take on classic fairytale characters in a contemporary setting. Moreover, the whole "noir" vibe is introduced in a great way, ensuring a dark and violent adventure awaits. Gameplay is very similarTelltale has delivered yet again! Based upon the popular "Fables" graphic novel, the Wolf Among Us acts as a sequel, starring the rugged sheriff Bigby Wolf (Big Bad Wolf). This is a really cool take on classic fairytale characters in a contemporary setting. Moreover, the whole "noir" vibe is introduced in a great way, ensuring a dark and violent adventure awaits. Gameplay is very similar to the Walking Dead, so nothing out of the ordinary here, though it works perfectly for this game as it did Telltale's last project. Give this title a shot, you won't regret it! Expand
  17. Dec 2, 2013
    Mixing story telling and gameplay has been a struggle for developers for decades. Last year, Telltale Games took a fantastic lead in its dark, heart warming interpretation of The Walking Dead. Now in a formula familiar to last year's, Telltale moves away from the apocalyptic wastelands of zombies to a gritty suburban populated by fairy tales. Despite its change of scenery, Telltale staysMixing story telling and gameplay has been a struggle for developers for decades. Last year, Telltale Games took a fantastic lead in its dark, heart warming interpretation of The Walking Dead. Now in a formula familiar to last year's, Telltale moves away from the apocalyptic wastelands of zombies to a gritty suburban populated by fairy tales. Despite its change of scenery, Telltale stays true to what made The Walking Dead so great with its excellent storytelling and quicktime based gameplay all rendered in beautiful comic book visuals.

The story takes place in New York, in a small community known as Fabletown, where famed fairytale characters resign and conceal their true forms with magic. You are Bigby Wolf, Sheriff of Fabletown, and former Big Bad Wolf, you have been entrusted to keep the Fables of Fabletown safe, while also trying to refrain from your Big Bad ways. A Fable is dead on his doorstep and it's up to Bigby as well as the strong-willed Snow White, to uncover the mystery within the Fable community. From a toad who refuses to conceal his fairytale appearance from the world, an alcoholic flying monkey, and a lumberjack who has fallen on hard times, Fabletown is filled with interesting and intriguing characters.

Where Faith stands strongest though is in its character of Bigby. Bigby is a complex character faced with a difficult problem; trying to prove that he has truly refrain from his old ways. How can you convince people to trust you when you were once a murderous savage? Do you give up and use force to get what you want, or show the Fables the kind-hearted side to the Big Bad exterior? This is a choice Telltale leaves to you.

As with most Telltale games, The Wolf Among Us is another point and click adventure, much like its spiritual successor The Walking Dead. It takes many ques from its previous success, from the dialogue choices involving the four face buttons to informing you if a character will remember your action or chose. The decisions not only make events unfold differently, but make you second-guess and wonder about the outcome of the other. This helps the player stay engaged in the story as well as really consider the decision you're about to make and weigh on the positives and negatives. With action comes consequence so chose wisely. Its through these big moments where the game shines brightest.

The other factor of the game, the game-play itself, is filled with intrigue. You'll be spending your time investigating crime scenes and in heated action sequences. This is where the game feels linear to an effect. Most crime scenes are limited to one room, so you'll be spending your time walking around, with little to explore, until you find something to click on. After you found all the items and clues to a crime scene, the narrative shuddles you off. As for the action sequences themselves, they are fast paced and filled with thrill. The sequences are played out through quick time events, which are controlled using the face and directional buttons. You will have objects thrown at you, leaving little time to react, as well as grabbing items such as glass bottles and pool cues to use in combat for the satisfying hits

One minor issue I had with the game is its frame rate. Sometimes during cutscenes, the game will begin to hiccup. Its an unfortunate issue considering that a player can be so easily attached to this world then feel completely lost for a second or two. This isn't a deal-breaking mind you, it didn't for a second stop me from enjoying the story. This is but a minor issue when compared to the excellent story arc of Bigby Wolf.

For what it is, The Wolf Among Us is a strong recommend for story lovers. While the game-play is still second-rate compared to the story, Faith succeeds most because of its unpredictability. Even fans of the “Fables” series will be surprised by some of the revelations. The game shows great promise and an excellent beginning to what should be a phenomenal story. As soon as the credits started to roll, I already wanted more and am left agonizing waiting for the next episode to be released.
  18. Feb 7, 2014
    Really enjoyed it good price. Very similar to the Walking Dead series Telltale are doing but with the Grimm fairy tales instead of zombies. Also you get to play as the Big Bad wolf how cool is that? Good story interesting characters, I never buy season passes not even for the tt walking dead but this game is an exception. If you enjoyed the art style and mechanics of tt walking dead giveReally enjoyed it good price. Very similar to the Walking Dead series Telltale are doing but with the Grimm fairy tales instead of zombies. Also you get to play as the Big Bad wolf how cool is that? Good story interesting characters, I never buy season passes not even for the tt walking dead but this game is an exception. If you enjoyed the art style and mechanics of tt walking dead give this a go the season pass is currently under £10 for playstation plus members.

The good- Interesting characters and seeing how the fables would live in our world.
    The bad- Very little but I cant help but feel Wolf's voice actor is not quite right for the part (All though my friend says I'm talking rubbish so make of that what you will) I also had some moments where I thought the game had frozen when it was changing scene nothing game breaking and it might just be my playstation getting old.
    The ugly - Maybe a little short for some people. But you can get 2-3 hours out of this quite good for £4

Verdict 8/10 Pretty dam good I recommend it, good story good presentation at a good price. And most of all it entertained me and I want to see the next episode (playing it as soon as I finish typing) and explore more of this world, it has also prompted me to look in to the Fable comics but that is not relevant, this game is certainly worth a look.
  19. Dec 28, 2013
    Don 't consider it a game mostly like a interactive movie, no exploration like old point and click games, you past a scene and move fort ward in the history, what make different is like the Walking dead game the decisions that change the future events, good history and great action sequences make it enjoyable, fans of the charming comic will be pleased and players wait for upcoming episodes
  20. Apr 21, 2014
    this game seems to be turning out even better than the walking dead did. It more stylistic and way more original in terms of story telling and characters. I love playing as Bigby way better than lee or clementine. the wolf among us episode one almost had me crying and it was the FIRST EPISODE! is all the walking dead was and more with a more creative concept in the storytelling and a morethis game seems to be turning out even better than the walking dead did. It more stylistic and way more original in terms of story telling and characters. I love playing as Bigby way better than lee or clementine. the wolf among us episode one almost had me crying and it was the FIRST EPISODE! is all the walking dead was and more with a more creative concept in the storytelling and a more stylistic art style. 10/10 for this first episode, hopefully the next one can come close to this one. Expand
  21. Apr 27, 2014
    Clever, creepy, and creative elements make up this must play game. Telltale has nailed everthing that they have put out in the last 2 years, The Wolf Among Us lives right up to that and more!

1. Feb 6, 2014
    Fans of Telltale’s knack for coming up with impactful character interaction will find Faith to be up to snuff and find plenty of excuses to replay while choosing a different approach.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Nov 11, 2013
    Going off Faith we're in for a hell of a ride. Now more bourbon-fuelled piggies, please! [December 2013, p80]
  3. Nov 7, 2013
    Telltale have proved yet again that they’re the big dog when it comes to licensed adventure games and emotionally-charged, gripping, character-driven narratives.