- Summary: There is a rising tide of fear in The City. Hatred saturates every stone and whilst the rich prosper, the less fortunate face misery and repression. Ravaged with sickness and famine, they wait for something to change. Into this shadowy world steps Garrett, THE master thief in a first-personThere is a rising tide of fear in The City. Hatred saturates every stone and whilst the rich prosper, the less fortunate face misery and repression. Ravaged with sickness and famine, they wait for something to change. Into this shadowy world steps Garrett, THE master thief in a first-person adventure featuring intelligent design that allows players to take full control, with freedom to choose their path through the game's levels and how they approach and overcome each challenge.… Expand
Feb 25, 2014Thief is truly an excellent game for excellent people. Foreboding atmosphere, superbly controls, complex gameplay systems, intricate graphics,Thief is truly an excellent game for excellent people. Foreboding atmosphere, superbly controls, complex gameplay systems, intricate graphics, exceptional storytelling, etc. Eidos Montreal have proven once again that their team has the chops to reboot a classic franchise after the incredible Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Thief is a Thief game for fans of the older titles. While some things have changed, 99% of it remains the same but better than ever. 10/10, well deserved! A masterful creation!… Expand
May 24, 2014First of all I would love to compliment the game designers on the look and tone of the game it's great. I felt like I was in a Tim burtonFirst of all I would love to compliment the game designers on the look and tone of the game it's great. I felt like I was in a Tim burton meets Len Wiseman type world and I loved that feeling. I think the cutscenes are good and tell a clear conscience story that flows in its own darkness. I love the mystery surrounding Garrett that I think shows in his image really well. About the gameplay. I find it to be exciting and fun defiantly worth the play but there is a lot against the player in it. Example Garrett can hardly defend himself face to face with guards and I know stealth but come on we're not all stealth players. The bows you get only hold a max of five arrows and unless you hitting heads on the enemy they won't kill first shot which is a problem with multiple AI attacking you. The enemies have swords and you have a batton! Uh no way a batton could ever beat a sword in dominance so your out manned there too. I just think that the character of Garrett could have built a little more equip and slightly tougher but get there's always a sequel right guys?… Expand
Mar 7, 2014Hmm tough one here. I dint enjoy this game as I thought I would. The voice acting was sub par for me and the game too linear. I felt driven inHmm tough one here. I dint enjoy this game as I thought I would. The voice acting was sub par for me and the game too linear. I felt driven in the one direction despite the odd dead end side quest. Graphics are quite nice but textures did pop on my ps3 version and it didnt blow my mind like The Last of Us or some of the other late releases on ps3.
Fans of this series will either love it (cause its more thief) or hate it (cause its not as good as the old ones). This was my fist foray into the Thief franchise and I was left a little underwhelmed.
Again its not to say its a terrible game, just not my type. Id suggest either waiting till the price drops and getting it in a bargain bin or merely trying out Dishonoured a they are quite similar,… Expand
Sep 9, 2014It's a mediocre stealth game, generic mostly scripted action coupled with a downright awful combat system should you grow tired of thatIt's a mediocre stealth game, generic mostly scripted action coupled with a downright awful combat system should you grow tired of that repetitive creeping. There is a considerable amount of depth compared to most modern games it's not an entirely linear experience. Don't bother paying attention to the story it is more plot holes than it is lines and seems to skip ahead without explanation. This may be specific to the PS3 version but there were frequent audio glitches though when it worked properly that was one of the games strong points.… Expand
Feb 26, 2014This game feels like a slap in the face for everyone who ever loved Thief and its story. Thief takes away to much from the franchise to beThis game feels like a slap in the face for everyone who ever loved Thief and its story. Thief takes away to much from the franchise to be considered a 'Thief' game. The only factor that makes this a Thief game is Garret. No Hammers, no Pagans and no Keepers. All lore removed, just Garret remains. This game will probably appeal more to the mainstream than the oldschool Thief fans.… Expand
Feb 28, 2014Disclaimer: I’m not the type of person to write reviews but since Thief is one of, if not my favourite series of games I felt I should on thisDisclaimer: I’m not the type of person to write reviews but since Thief is one of, if not my favourite series of games I felt I should on this occasion. This decision was also made in-part due to a ridiculous amount of clearly fake reviews here, as well as shill posts on steam & various gaming boards around the net. I'm incredibly disappointed in the dev team and square enix for attempting to dump money trying to buy a better 'score' & sales rather than spending the money making a better game.
- Lighting is binary, you're either visible or you're not. Fog is everywhere but does nothing.
- Sound is largely irrelevant when compared with previous games,
- Controls are limited after being designed for controllers, 2 sets of crucial actions (Movement/Interaction) are grouped and unchangeable. Enjoy falling off a building after mantling when you intended to climb instead.
- AI is probably some of the worst I’ve ever seen (Thief 1 & 2 actually have superior AI).
- Level design is mostly corridors & shafts. In each level there’s 2 routes minimum, didn’t find more than 3. Obvious ‘stealth’ route, alternate route/Deus Ex HR-style ventilation shaft route & then a more ambitious, often vertical route if you’re lucky.
- Missions: They very quickly devolve into find whatever/go-to wherever to watch the next cutscene and witness the atrocious story.
- Garrett: Generic, modern protag who the world revolves around. No witty remarks, mostly just blurts out edgy comments or recounts information the player is already aware of.
- Port: Pretty good except for the memory leaks & crashes.
- Graphics: Bloated, old unreal engine 3 with improved crisp shadows. Colour palette: blue + orange only.
- Story: I’d actually be wasting your time on this planet if I attempted to try and repeat it.
- Load screen & cutscene to gameplay ratio is ridiculous
- You can’t jump (there is limited contextual jumping/mantling)
- Viewmodel fov (T-Rex/invisible piano hands) is immersion breaking & may also induce nausea
- There is a qte within the first 30 seconds of gameplay
- Forced takedown sequences
- Forced escape sequences
- Thirdperson climbing sequences
- Occasional QTE before load screens/level loads… Expand
May 7, 2014I've spent about 48 hours on this game, and I should say that I'm *very* glad I didn't buy it (a friend of mine was very kind to allow me toI've spent about 48 hours on this game, and I should say that I'm *very* glad I didn't buy it (a friend of mine was very kind to allow me to play his copy).
While it sounds ridiculous, but in Thief 2014, you *don't* even need to steal, at all... The game will anyway reward you at the end of each mission, so why bother? Nice, isn't it?
The setting. Remember the old three Thief games? Ok, now forget them! Since Thief 2014 is a reboot, you will encounter *nothing* from the old ones. I mean Eidos Montreal has *totally* destroyed and erased everything that made Thief series so unique: Keepers, Pagans, Hammerites, Mechanists, Kurshoks, burricks, and hell - even zombies! Everything!
The plot. Definitely the worst I ever met in video games. Just abominable! You still have some doubts? Ok then. Just try to watch the *bossfight* with Thief Taker General on YouTube and see for yourself. Yeah, *bossfights* in a *stealth* game.
The audio. It's just disgusting. All NPCs have just two phrases, and several NPCs have even just *one* phrase. And you know what? These NPCs will repeat their "repertoire" till the kingdom come, with just *one* second interval. Sound propagation works so erroneously, so it was a real pain for me to understand where the sound came from.
The protagonist. His new voice, by Romano Orzari, sounds so dull and boring! Instead, the old Garrett's voice, by Stephen Russell, was just brilliant! So if you still love Stephen Russell's voice as Garrett in Thief 1&2&3, you will absolutely be disappointed by Romano Orzari's voice in Thief 2014.
Bottom line: it's a tasteless hack, so make yourself a favour and save your money for something really useful.… Collapse