8.3

1. Mar 31, 2013
    Well I got this game and fell in love with it straight away I'm uncharted crazy so if you love uncharted you will love this it's very similar, well the story was good I really had a feel for Lara in particular I had sympathy for Lara every time she got hurt haha I love the voice acting the graphics are very good there's a few small glitches but nothing major that's why I've given it a 9 otherwise it would be 10 all day the online isn't that great either but it's not bad. The gameplay is great I had fun unlocking all the weapons and buying all the attachments for the guns and going around finding all the relics and documents took me a few days to complete it all so this game will take sometime to complete 100% I highly recommend this game it's my favourite game this year so far Expand
  2. Mar 31, 2013
    This game was fun and entertaining. Now this is my first time really playing through a TR game so my review won't be fully accurate. But here we go. Positives: The storyline was amazing. I am left speechless and wanting more. The combat is fun and entertaining. At times a little easy but still good. The extra items are fun and worth finding. The leveling system felt very well done, but needed a little bit more. The graphics looked amazing and that hair design was just plain fantastic. A good 9-14 hour game. Negatives: The mulitplayer is dull and boring. The game throws you too often into combat and not giving you the chance to hide. The end game feels a little bit lacking like something is missing. The world feels narrow at times and a little bit too scripted. Expand
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    I was a bit sceptical heading into this game as the last couple of games haven't been that great but I always hold out hope as the first 3 games on the PS1 are some of my all time favourites. Thankfully this is a spectacular return to form for the series. It borrows heavily from certain games in this generation such as most obviously Uncharted but also stealth based games such as Assassins Creed. This isn't a bad thing as it has added a new dimension to the game and it is implemented very well here.

Lara's character is developed quite well, if a bit rushed. The game has a great atmosphere about it and you really feel concerned for Lara due to the constant storms happening. She really does seem to be struggling to survive.

The one criticism I would have is it is very linear. I would have liked to have had bigger areas to explore with multiple pathways. A lot of areas do have two or three ways to progress but they are very close together and don't require much exploration to find.

This game is a massive step in the right direction and I am now eagerly awaiting the follow up. Well done.

TL:DR great return to form. Good action, great story telling and character development. Excellent graphics and atmosphere.
  4. May 28, 2013
    TOMB RAIDER sets the basics for a very nice reboot of the franchise.
    It probably would not appeal very much to all the die-hard fans of the original games, specially when this current gameplay is compared to the one of the original Tomb Raider I, II and III (the third one being my favorite): Traps almost non existing, way less wolves and any other wild animal to fight, and quite simple
    puzzles. So, if you were a massive fan of this aspects of the old Tomb Raider, probably this is not the game for you. BUT the stunning complexity of the environment, the great gun fights that this game has really make it up for it! A really compelling story, a new "real" 20-year-old Lara, a good Voice acting make this new start as a great starting point for what could be a real threat to the Uncharted franchise. Expand
  5. Apr 12, 2013
    This is not your traditional Tomb Raider. Puzzles are scarce and too easy to figure out. However, the game play and graphics are amazing. Great stealth and combat mechanics, and the island is beautiful and fun to explore. Don't listen to the whiners complaining about it not being a "Tomb Raider" game. Most of these people don't want to see games improve or evolve. They think the old is automatically better than the new. I am fan of the old school Tomb Raider games, but I love this new approach and game play as well. I would have given the game a 10, but they don't do a good job a repopulating the island with enemies after you cleared it thereby hurting its replay value. Expand
  6. Apr 5, 2013
    This game is my 2nd favorite game of 2013. the only reason it is in 2nd is because of the multiplayer, but let's not talk about one of it's failures, let's talk about all it's successes. A reboot can be one of two things, it can ruin everything new and creative, or it can be a welcome addition to a series that was dying. This one was the welcome addition. With Uncharted-like platforming, a stellar story, fantastic combat, great stealth sections, and a robust world where you will just want to explore every nook and cranny, it is hard to see where Tomb Raider falls flat. But, it does have one minor flaw, the supporting cast. These guys are just boring, except for maybe Roth. But the rest of this origin story, you feel like Lara Croft. To when an airplane crashes and you have to get away from it, to falling out of a and parachuting through a thick array of trees, this is one origin story you won't want to miss! Lara Croft is an especially great character to play because I have never felt this much caring for a character in gaming since master chief! As for the story, it's nothing we haven't seen before, but it is used differently than the actual times we have seen it. The combat and stealth sections are fast-paced, and the AI isn't just going to let you stay in cover and poke your head out and shoot them. They throw Molotov shoot fire arrows to draw you out of cover and finish you off. They will also make their own cover with tables and other objects. This sounds like it makes for very difficult combat, but for the guns you have, and the specialty arrows at your disposal, they are no match. The stealth section come with this wonderful passive cover system where, when appropriate, Lara will duck in cover to hide from enemies. So if you want a great origin story with one of the most iconic video-game characters ever, this is your game. Expand
  7. Apr 7, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game. Finished the campaign in one stretch, couldn't stop playing. Get playing, starts of a bit slow, then gains pace, and the features in the game are amazing.
  8. Apr 8, 2013
    This game in every respect out-does Uncharted and is the best platformer I have played to date! Large set pieces and tight controls make for one of the best feeling and looking platforming to date and the third person shooting (archery) is in no way neglected, all weapons handle well and feel good. But by far the best part of the game is the beautifully done pacing. Gradually improving your weapon and gear, building upon your arsenal feels brilliant.

The Character of Lara Croft is one done extremely well. From the look of the character (thankfully absent of triangular breasts) to the story and development of Lara is compelling and fun.

However the game has some flaws. Besides Lara characters were boring and annoying the large amounts of time Lara was alone were treasured because of this. There were also a maddeningly small amount of "Secret Tombs".

But this should all be looked past when considering the standard this game is on. It should be held among the likes of Uncharted as one of the best platformers.
  9. Apr 11, 2013
    Brilliant game, excellent visuals, fantastic voice acting and an engaging plot. The new Tomb Raider shows how Lara Croft became the heroine that we all used to love. The only reason I'm giving it a 9 is because the multiplayer seemed a bit familiar, it reminded me of Uncharted. This isn't a bad thing though, I had a lot of fun with it.
  10. Apr 11, 2013
    Very enjoyable game, great story, beautiful environment, the actions and killing sequences are amazing, the different weapons and their upgrades are really helpful during all history, definitely the Bow is the best weapon, just love it!!!
  11. Apr 12, 2013
    the only thing bad about this game is that its to short the rest was amazing I love the new lara croft and I hope to see more the expressions on her face were amazing she reacted to death and pain like any normal person would great game must play
  12. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is pretty good, I mean it is simply the best Tomb Raider game ever made. I didn't really like the other Tomb Raider games, I rented this one and ended up buying it. The game simply wowed me, I was not expecting to like this game at all. Graphics are good, controls are good and atmosphere is good. The game is not perfect but its better than uncharted games that is for sure, and that is hard for me to say because uncharted was pretty good. Buy it if you like these kind of games. Rent it if you are not sure. Expand
  13. Apr 21, 2013
    One of the best games ive played in a while,couldnt put the controller down from the start to the finish.The story line is great the charactors are very well done.The gameplay is fanatasic the controlls are responsive and maped extremely good.The weapon system is not as good as some other games but that donest take anything away from this game.You can all out and try and shoot everyone or in most parts you can sneak around carefully to your objective.I would highly recommend this game. Expand
  14. Apr 27, 2013
    A brilliant game and a perfect way to reboot a classic character with a twist. I personally prefer the new Lara's character to the original but fans of the classic Lara will still manage to gain a lot of enjoyment from this. Looking forward to a sequel in a few years time.
  15. Apr 30, 2013
    Utter brilliance. Only slightly falls down on some of the bizarre/unbelievable character reactions to story twists. But this sets a new high in 3rd person adventures games and beats Uncharted for my money (much more fun).
  16. May 1, 2013
    Muy buen juego la verdad al estar jugando la campaña me senti muy emocionado y a la ves lleno de furia al estar luchando y sobresaliendo con lara croft. Tomb Raider regreso perfectamente bien y mas que eso
  17. May 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game! Read many reviews and the majority gave this game a good score but there was also a few mixed reviews too. My expectations were so so, but ended up enjoying this game. It has elements of the Batman games with the survival vision to help you out, it also features weapons upgrades and button bashing similar to resident evil 4 with the all rounder feel of the uncharted series, climbing,jumping,searching for treasure with a few decent puzzles in there too. The graphics are spot on too probably the best I've seen on the playstation 3! The only odd flaw which doesn't really affect me is the zip lining, when trying to zip line downhill the x button is the action button but is also the jump button so try to attach to the rope on a cliff edge can be dangerous! That small quirk aside this game is a great and hopefully there will be a sequel in the works. Expand
  18. May 15, 2013
    This game takes the delicate, young Croft through a state of psychological brilliance and intrigue, paired against despair and unfounded hate. In executing a game almost a decade after the popular series was making its mark in the market, the developers not only put life in the busty adventurer, but made her relate-able (as much as possible when comparing your every-day gamer to a gritty, in your face revenge killer who searches for long lost treasures).

The game, most especially in the opening, is not completely littered with cut-scenes. However, they are common. Most notably, they are common without being destructive to any degree. They flawlessly wedge their way into the gameplay, incorporating even the semi-common slow motion action and button mash scenes that, yes, make no sense. However, the designer is keeping you enthralled.

By making the introduction interesting and keeping out repetitive wash and action, they don't overwhelm you with terrible cut scenes like most games, only to then destroy your senses through implementation of overplayed and overly familiar battle scenes. They acknowledge the fact that most battles in a single game will be dramatically representative of each other, but do so without making them drab or useless.

The story alone is worth 10 points. The beautiful graphics (playing on eyefinity, 3-monitors. its ok to be jelous), matched to the not entirely linear story only reinforces that rating. Puzzles make sense without being blatantly obvious. And a modern feel of experience for weapon upgrades and skill, resembling Croft's jump into the busty destruction we are all familiar with from her soft past, make for a modern game with a historic feel, all without giving you the handicap all games seem to be giving you.

Also, the lacking downloadable content remind me that this company is the last one to remind us that the cost of the game is about the story, playability, replayability, and enjoyment...Not about making extra bucks and changing their name to Blizzard Entertainment, all while holding ourselves in public because, hey, we are Blizzard and we don't care about you. Now pay us for this reskinning.

Lets just hope companies will follow in these footsteps and do the right thing. Make art that is enjoyable, accurate, and destructively fun.

As said, the execution is almost incredibly flawless. However, the one thing I can't get over is the fact that they gave her a "mountain axe" (its called an ice tool); enabling her to throw 1/8cm steel straight into rock and pull it out again without bringing any damage to the tool. This is just depressing since i have been ice climbing most my life and know exactly the limitations.

No, this shouldn't bother me. But I could expect this in an Indie game and not a game where, despite the legend they try to bring to life in Yamatai, the developers did their homework. All they needed to do was call Petzl (the company they obviously got the design from) and ask, "how do you use this?"
  19. May 18, 2013
    I wonder why people always want frustrating, unfriendly video games. I think the compromise the developers devised is perfect. There is no reason for a developer to throw you in a situation you cannot possibly figure out given the limitations of video games. It is either you think what they were thinking or you keep trying until you, by virtue of pure chance, come across the answer. This game gives you just enough tips to keep it entertaining without diluting the experience. So long, tips & tricks. We don't need you. It is so interesting to see the evolution of Lara. Great game! Expand
  20. May 19, 2013
    a complete refresh to the Tomb Raider franchise which was needed in my opinion more user friendly and a spectacular reboot great story gameplay soundtrack and design....... could have done without the multiplayer with a focus on maybe a few more tombs but none the less looking forward to more adventures in the future!!!!
  21. May 20, 2013
    As someone who really wasn't that interested in the Tomb Raider franchise, I was really impressed by this game. Its hard to say anything that hasn't already been said about so I'll quickly list off what I liked: 1. The Lara Croft character is great and I viewed her as a female John Mclain from Die Hard. 2. The graphics are fantastic and the transitions from cut scenes to gameplay are near seamless. 3. The actual Tomb Raiding was really fun and it was nice to seem them put them in, although I wish there was a lot more of them. 4. The intensity of the violence compliments the game unlike it did for Bioshock infinite. 5. The progression system was fun and some upgrades really did help out and came when they needed to. There are morei things I could say but those were the ones I liked to lay out. I did not play the multiplayer but based on the word of mouth it doesn't seem worth commenting on. I still fully give this game my highest recommendation even if the multiplayer content is lackluster as the single-player campaign more than justifies a 60$ price tag Expand
  22. May 21, 2013
    This is a awesome reboot of Tomb Raider! Now we have a more human Lara, more realistic story context and a great "hero journey"! I'm a Uncharted and Lost die-hard fan, I love mythology, mysteries, puzzles and rpg, so this Tomb Raider is one of the best games I ever played in my life. I hope they make many many sequels!
  23. Jun 19, 2013
    This was a really good game. It finally made me like Lara Croft and Tomb Raider games. It had good game-play, a good story, pretty graphics, and a cool island to explore. The only thing i was disappointed with was the fact I wanted it to last longer. I wanted more tombs to raid, more weapons to find and collect, to upgrade, more of everything. Instead of the crappy mulitplayer they gave us.
  24. Jun 16, 2013
    Story-wise, this is by far the best Tomb Raider game to come out since the first 3 games. However, on a technological level, this is the best game in the series.
    Crystal Dynamics "Core Team" really outdid themselves with this one. Highly recommended title.
    Great story. Great level up system to upgrade equipment. Tight controls. Lots of secrets to find with exploration.

My primary
    genre is JRPGs, but this is by far the best action game released in many years. It gives one a true sense of outdoor survival.

Did I say tight controls? Well, they're very tight.
  25. Oct 28, 2013
    The attention to detail put into this game is stunning. The controls are spot-on solid, and I loved watching how Lara reacted to various traversals and environments so exploring was always welcome and wanted. The pacing is excellent and characters believable. One of the most fun games to play and easily recommendable to almost anyone.
  26. Jun 24, 2013
    Excellent campaign enjoyed from start to finish, outstanding graphics on the much loved but ageing PS3...campaign is 10/10 only let down by disappointing multiplayer
  27. Jun 28, 2013
    This game just felt right to me. I enjoyed every second of it and I would play it again. Everything is well crafted and you get a well written story. Sure, it is not too innovative and there are too many shooting passages, but as the superb controls really match up for this. If you like Action-Adventures like Uncharted, Darksiders and everything inbetween, you should really give it a try! Hope they will come up with a sequel Expand
  28. Jul 1, 2013
    I was insanely happy with this game. I like the change in Lara and it makes her, as a character, much more relatable. I'm really glad I bought this game. The game play was different and I like how the puzzles were challenging. It was definitely nice to see this reboot of the series.

I was so thrilled i even cosplayed as her at a local convention!
  29. Jul 15, 2013
    The graphics alone in this game are enough to make it worth playing. The way the story is told in such a dark, mature way makes the experience that much better. I have to say, my only disappointment came from the predictable story-line, but that's just what you get in Tomb Raider games.
  30. Sep 15, 2013
    I really enjoyed it, it's a lengthy story, quite adventurous. I liked the characters, and story line was quite interesting, not your average meaningless shooter without any concept, this is definitely different in these terms. The graphics are awesome, and the landscapes are really beautiful. Just a really great game, enjoyable with good ending.
  31. Aug 1, 2013
    "Tomb Raider" is an Action/Adventure gamer's dream. Lots of fans may compare "Tomb Raider" to the "Uncharted" series because of the gameplay style but let me assure you, "Tomb Raider" is a game of it's own. The combat system is amazing and I must say the highlight is the bow & arrow. You have a choice to attack enemies in a blaze of glory or attack them with stealth. The island that Lara raid's is huge and full of amazing landscapes, puzzles, & all the things core Tomb Raider fans will love. This adventure is a non-stop thrill ride from creators Crystal Dynamics. Expand
  32. Aug 16, 2013
    By far the best PS3 game I've played for a LONG time! If you are a fan of the Uncharted series, then you're gonna love this one too. Great action and platforming with a story a lot like something from Uncharted. Although this is a somewhat dark and (sometimes) creepy game with quite a decent amount of blood and gore it's still an amazing game that's worthy of a replay sometime.
  33. Aug 21, 2013
    Being a fan of Lara Croft and her male counter-part Nathan Drake, I jumped at the chance to play the new Tomb Raider game. Thinking it was a sequel I was quite surprised that it was a prequel, it made me wanna play it even more, finding out her back story and experiencing her first kill was exciting for me. The controls are a lot easier on the new game than the old. The story line was awesome, not to long but not to short, just right! And there lots of 'Tombs' to 'Raid' lol, upgradable guns, secrets to uncover. All in all i give this game a rating of 10/10 cause u know who wouldn't, Tomb Raider is just an awesome game, especially if ya bored and ya wanna go hunting for animals.

-AG-
  34. Sep 12, 2013
    Tomb raider is a game which is combination of an adventure and a survival game.The game is awesome with a large world to explore.Its climbing and its moves are perfect.Unfortunately i found some disadvantages for the game.For example the type of shooting in the game is not so good but there is the bow which is a weapon i loved.I didnt like also the multiplayer.It is boring and there are no objective matches.Nonetheless i suggest you to get the game.You wont be bored.It has a great story and characters. Expand
  35. Nov 21, 2013
    Awesome graphics, a really convincing young Lara Croft and amazing gameplay result in a game you really shouldn't miss. It has a nice story, can be really challenging and comes up with riddles of which some can take their time to get solved. For me, the game was easily fun enough to try getting every relict and so on to complete it 100%.
  36. Aug 30, 2013
    Its an Awesome game to play it will lead you in to the amazing world full of surprises through out the game you will never going to know what's going to happen next love the graphics and the whole environment and of course the beautifully created cut scenes.I love this game thank you Eidos Interactive and Core Design,Crystal Dynamics for making such a beautiful game love You guys
  37. Sep 15, 2013
    This game combines a great story with a variety of gameplay styles, it draws from genres like adventure-type platforming and a variety of shooting-style game staples.

The level/upgrade system allows players to actually earn skills rather than just a variety of outfits for Lara.

As a reboot it does a great job establishing young Lara and her companions as interesting, and more
    realistic (both physically and emotionally) characters.

The main fault I would note is that puzzle components could have been more difficult. Even without the flashing white hints, it doesn't take long to work through the actual tombs.
  38. Oct 21, 2013
    A piece of art. It's a game of adventure and action, and it has some puzzles to test your intelligence.
    there are many obstacles that Lara faces witch makes it more interesting. I enjoyed the game a lot!
  39. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Great looking environments, character models are very detailed, animals look realistic, this game looks amazing. 10.

Sound: Great voice acting, nice themes, environmental sounds are realistic (storm effect). 10.

Gameplay: The game play has been redefined and it really is better than any of the previous Tomb Raider games. Think of Uncharted but open world, and this is
    truly what makes this game shine. The weapons are great; the addition of the bow is fantastic, and fun to take out enemies with. There are collectibles everywhere which are addicting to go for. The tombs are really fun although it could use more of a challenge. The game has a Metroid Prime/Arkham (Batman) feel where in order to access some areas you need to get new equipment or upgrade it. You can hunt in the game which is useful for upgrades for weapons, along with salvaging. There are some stealth elements but they are not perfect, but it works. The multiplayer felt bland and uninteresting, and somewhat a low down version of the Uncharted games, but it’s still added value, and can be fun. 9.2.

Story: This is the weakest part of the game, it’s got a story that progresses well, but nearing the end it just falls apart or seems to be a basic story with no amazing twists, although there is some mystery at the middle. The characters are decent, some are annoying, some are forgettable, but overall it was a good story, and I enjoyed it. 8.5.

Replay Value: There’s tons of replay value, collectibles plus the game itself is ranging from 15-20 hours, and there’s an added multiplayer. 10.

Overall Score: 9.5 out of 10.
  40. Nov 20, 2013
    Es el mejor Tomb Raider sin ninguna duda, la jugabilidad es exquisita, los gráficos son excelentes, el doblaje al castellano esta perfecto, la duración del juego puede ser de 28/25 horas. Lo que mas me gusto del juego es la exploración de los escenarios, las variedades de escenarios, la historia, que te engancha de principio a fin, en fin, un juego muy bueno a tener en cuenta. ¿Lo recomiendo? Si, totalmente, opta al juego del año sin ninguna duda. Expand
  41. Dec 17, 2013
    Great game, best Tomb Raider so far enjoyed playing this as much as The uncharted games which I've played all 3 and loved them all.Kept playing till I'd got all collectibles and reached 100%, which proves how good it is.
  42. Jan 19, 2014
    I'm surprised in that the general rating given to TR somewhat underestimates it. I started playing this game with a mildly lowered expectation and I loved it. It's comparable to if not better than Uncharted (though short gameplay is the latter's main disadvantage). The story does not falter as it builds up, gameplay is great, the puzzles blend in nicely with its exploratory environment, and it evokes the archaeologist-on-mystery-adventure theme perfectly. I was surprised (due to the ratings) and pleased. I'm saddened only by the fact that I didn't have the opportunity to play and experience the previous Tomb Raider games (it was the movies that introduced me to the franchise), and with the release of PS4 it is unlikely that I'll experience further releases of the game. Expand
  43. Mar 15, 2014
    Tomb Raider lets us into the store of Lara Crofts origins, and her evolution from a mere adventurer to a true survivor, and of course, the tomb raider.

I must be honest here; when I first saw this game, I thought it was going to be dull and pretentious, another release of abhorrent mainstream trash that is constantly spewed our way by these so-called "developers". I was so wrong about
    that, and feel I must never judge a game by mere snippets of gameplay ever again.

You see, Tomb Raider is a big game. I'm saying this, and I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet. The story is expansive and rather detailed, certainly very captivating. There are many different collectibles to find, tombs to raid, and weapons to upgrade (oh yes; LOTS of upgrades). Let's start with the story.

Having washed up on the shores of Yamatai, an island infamous for it's tendency to swallow adventures whole, Lara is soon knocked down, and woken inside a dark, dreary cave. She must get out, and it's here that the game instantly gets to show off it's physics engine; ropes swing the way they should, fire burns the way it should, and Lara...well, Lara falls the way she should. Right into a jutting metal pole, in fact. This the beginning setup to a fantastic adventure throughout the island, to save her friends, and escape Yamatai, discovering secrets along the way.

As I just mentioned, the game features a fantastic physics engine, which is used to solve puzzles throughout the game, as well as bypass obstacles and eliminate foes. The game feels almost free, although you are enclosed in specific areas. Each area, however, has a good deal of things to collect and areas to explore, including tombs, which are effectively Tomb Raiders' little side puzzles, rewarding you with salvage (used to upgrade weapons) upon completion.

And with that, I will move onto the upgrade system. Each weapon in Tomb Raider has it's own set of upgrades, which not only enhance performance, but also change visually. Collecting weapon parts allow you to transfer your current weapon into something far more powerful, unlocking more upgrades along the way. You will start off with an old, flimsy bow, and end up with a deadly sports bow; an old Thompson can be transferred into a fully fledged assault rifle, and so on. It's not only the weapons with upgrades, but Lara herself can be upgraded, giving you new abilities, enhanced senses, and deathly new tactics to use in a firefight, this upgrades are more than just window shopping.

The combat is brutal, and the game is full of set pieces in which you must escape from falling bridges, collapsing planes, burning villages, and more. It also makes use of an uncharted-style climbing system, giving you a little break between gunning down foes and puzzling over challenges. This adds a vital diversity to the game, and it works.

Ultimately, Tomb Raider is the game you HAVE to buy if you have the money, and considering it's currently free on PS+, there has never been a more opportune time to give your survival reflexes a run. Flawless game.
  44. Jan 9, 2014
    Ok, I am impressed.Just when I thought that I couldn't find a better game than U2 & U3 in ps3 console I played this game and I was thinking "is really Uncharted my favourite game?" I prefer U2 & U3 and probably the reason is that these two were the first epic games I played in this console.Lara Croft in this game was an excellent character.The environment was very good for explorations(open-world) and surely both realistic & beautiful.The gameplay was also very exciting (especially while in stealth mode with the bow or hand to hand combat).The story was also very interesting(keep in mind that the letters you will find in the game are important to understand the whole history of the game and the character's history and personality too).The atmosphere was also very good.I can't remember if the music was also good(actually I don't remember anything from the music of tomb raider).Tomb raider is one of the best games released in ps3 console up until today and it's in the top 4 favourite games I've ever played. Expand
  45. Feb 7, 2014
    I was never a big fan of the Tomb Raider series, but this reboot gives not only a origin story to Lara Croft, but adds new dynamic gameplay, which is just so much fun, I'm looking forward to other games.
  46. Jan 18, 2014
    Truly a fantastic game. Maybe the best combat and gameplay this year. I enjoyed everything about this game and have absolutely no complaints. Although the story wasn't as strong as other titles this year, and the multiplayer is lacking, the gameplay, graphics, voice acting and Lara make up for it, and make this a top 5 game of 2013, and one of the most fun action adventure games I've ever played. One of the only games I actually wanted to go back and explore to collect everything and earn 100%. I wish it was longer, but with all the relics, GPS, and other items to collect, I got plenty of hours out of it. Expand
  47. Jan 25, 2014
    This game just changed the Tomb Raider franchise forever. To be honest, I never really enjoyed the old games, they were a little cheap when it came to story and controls. But this game is just incredible, and has completely reinvigorated series. Graphics: 10/10 beautifully designed, this game just looks amazing, and balances grit, horror and beauty perfectly Story 10/10 The game's real strong point, the story is very moving and powerful, and it really does develop interesting characters. Rebooting Lara's character was a brilliant move, and the single setting made for a much better game that previous installments

Game play: 10/10
    The game play fuses platforming, exploration and third person shooter perfectly to give an enthralling and exciting game experience

Choosing to give Lara more... realistic... features was probably the best decision made in the development, and giving her genuine character, flare and strength was just brilliant. She goes from being an inexperienced but determined beginner to being a born survivor, and while the pace of her transformation isn't exactly realistic, the game does give a lot in the way of character development.

This game just changed the way people look at Lara Croft. From now on, I think we can expect gem after gem. Truly inspirational, and by far the best in the series.
  48. Mar 17, 2014
    Haven't played such a great game since Metal Gear Solid on PS1 !
    Great story, amazing gameplay controls
    Graphics are outstanding.
    Its a classic game and must have.
    Its not dull and repetitive like the old tomb raider games and not as frustrating controls.
    The story line is very engaging and fight scenes are very entertaining.
  49. Jul 2, 2014
    I want to give this game 9.5 but I can't. There were a couple of tiny things which bothered me, but overall gameplay, story, graphics, sounds etc were 100%. When you look back and try and play Tomb Raider from even a couple of years ago you get frustrated so quickly the new technology has created seamless interaction. Great game well implemented.

1. Apr 11, 2013
    This reboot of the series not only surpassed my expectations, but it is easily one of the best games I have played in a long time. If you're like me and love story driven games that offer a great gaming experience then Tomb Raider is definitely for you.
  2. There’s no denying Tomb Raider is a heavily influenced work, both mechanically and aesthetically (its nods to Neil Marshall’s The Descent are so happy to be there at one point Lara even re-enacts the “girlrising-out-of-sea-of-blood” scene). While it offers nothing wholly original, its salvaged parts combine to produce an experience that is consistently better than anything its own heroes have produced. [April 2013, p70]
  3. Mar 28, 2013
    Despite occasional dissonance between narrative and game mechanics, Tomb Raider is a highly polished, highly accomplished reboot. Kudos, Crystal Dynamics. [Issue#235]