8.3

1. Mar 14, 2013
    Introduction: When I first rented Tomb Raider, I did not what to expect. I went into the game with no expectations. I came out more then impressed. Tomb Raider reminded me extremely of Uncharted which is a very good thing. Anyone who says that Tomb Raider is a knock off of Uncharted need to play the game all the way through. Regardless, the Tomb Raider series has been around muchIntroduction: When I first rented Tomb Raider, I did not what to expect. I went into the game with no expectations. I came out more then impressed. Tomb Raider reminded me extremely of Uncharted which is a very good thing. Anyone who says that Tomb Raider is a knock off of Uncharted need to play the game all the way through. Regardless, the Tomb Raider series has been around much longer then Uncharted. Tomb Raider's reboot has hit the shelves and the series is going in a direction that may just save the series.

Presentation: Turn Uncharted's Nathan Drake into a woman and you have the new Tomb Raider. Lara Croft is not a smart aleck character like Nathan Drake but an archaeologist who is on a trip to an island not far from Japan looking for the lost kingdom of Yamatai. To give no spoilers something goes wrong and the whole game takes place on this one island. Since everything takes place on one island, the change in environments seems almost unrealistic but then again, most of the story is once you realize the force of evil in the game. Aside from the slight randomness to the game itself, the story stays together very well and although it reminded me very much of Uncharted, it holds its ground in comparison. This game could be seen as the cross platform of Tomb Raider. 8.5/10

Graphics: To make it short, the games graphics are absolutely phenomenal. Near perfect that made everything look real. The only problem with the graphics was that some parts of the environment (Lara's radio and other small items in the world) seemed to be lazily designed. These issues however were small in comparison to the masterful graphic design of the entire game. 10/10

Sound: The voice acting was top notch. Although some of the supporting characters acting potential did not seem to peak, Lara's voice actress made you forget of these less then perfect voice actors. The conversations felt real for the most part and the soundtrack to the game helped raise the emotional levels throughout the game. Although the game did not produce a memorable soundtrack, it did deliver in the moments it needed to. 9.5/10

Gameplay: The gameplay was near perfect. Everything felt real and all of Lara's tools were easy to use. Lara herself was easy to control and I had little to no difficulty moving around in the different environments. The only issues I had with the gameplay was the many places were quick time events were used. Quick time events were not spontaneous exactly but most of them felt annoying to use. When doing a finishing move, a timed press of triangle was needed which wasn't as annoying but cutscene quick time events were here enough for me to remember. The game also offered a sight that would help you to figure out were you were supposed to go. This worked ok but hopefully will be improved in the next game because sometimes I found it difficult to find the exact routes I needed to take to get to an objective. The only issue I had with gameplay was quick time events and since they were only slightly used, the score is: 9.5/10

Entertainment: I found myself enjoying this game very much. The story was to say the least interesting and the game kept my attention all the way to the end. Not only did the story keep me focused but collectibles were also really fun to find (this is major considering I hate finding collectibles). Aside from the story, 100 percenting the game can actually be fun and rewarding (finding documents, relics, tombs, ect.) Aside from collectibles and the story, the multiplayer is slightly entertaining. Although the multiplayer does not compare to something like call of duty, it would also make you play for extra hours. The game was extremely fun. 10/10

Replay Value: The story itself is roughly 10 hours long. Finding collectibles to 100% the game takes an average 6-7 more hours. This is the only game I can truly say that if I owned instead of rented, I would 100% the game. So just one playthough is 16 hours. Add that onto the multiplayer and you have at least 25-30 hours of gameplay. Aside from the game being long, you will find yourself wanting to play through the story again one day considering how fun the gameplay is in the game. The replay value it higher then other games I have reviewed because of decent multiplayer and fun collectibles but like the others, since the story is very linear, there isn't much else to be seen after completing the game once on 100%. With that said however, it will be replayed by owners: guaranteed. 7/10

Verdict: This game is near perfect. I absolutely loved playing through this game and cannot wait for the return of Lara Croft. The game is beautifully stunning and will keep you hooked for hours. This game is the highest I have reviewed so far. Total Rating 9.1/10
  2. Mar 17, 2013
    Jogo expetacular gráficos super bem feitos, jogabilidade íncrivel,história surpreendente,e envolvente, O MELHOR JOGO DESSA GERAÇÃO !
    Gráficos:10
    Som:10 Jogabilidade:10 História:10 NOTA FINAL: 10 THE BEST GAME OF GENERATION! Tomb Raider recuperou seu posto, Muito melhor do que aquela merda de Uncharted ...Uncharted um lixo de jogo. TOMB RAIDER VOLTOU MAIS FORTE DO QUE NUNCA,
    Gráficos:10
    Som:10
    Jogabilidade:10
    História:10
    NOTA FINAL: 10

TOMB RAIDER VOLTOU MAIS FORTE DO QUE NUNCA, MELHOR JOGO DESSA GERAÇÃO TOMB RAIDER IRÁ MASSACRAR QUALQUER JOGO QUE ENTRAR EM SEU CAMINHO !
    Tomb Raider 2013 GOTY 2013
    Lara Croft está de volta
  3. Mar 5, 2013
    Well for starters you've got a very sexy and vulnerable female lead character that we've all known and loved for years. And if that's not enough Tomb Raider delivers with great graphics, beautiful and stunning scenery and cinematics as well as great gameplay and a story that holds bolth depth and weight. What else could you you ask for Alright, well maybe Tomb Raider won't fulfill all ofWell for starters you've got a very sexy and vulnerable female lead character that we've all known and loved for years. And if that's not enough Tomb Raider delivers with great graphics, beautiful and stunning scenery and cinematics as well as great gameplay and a story that holds bolth depth and weight. What else could you you ask for Alright, well maybe Tomb Raider won't fulfill all of your fantasies and expectations, but never the less it's bound to be one of the best games of 2013. Expand
  4. Mar 6, 2013
    Amazing game, one of the best in the series! It has a slightly cliched story, characters and ending, but in saying that the ending really is amazing and the game needs to be played! Lara Croft is yet again back!!
  5. Mar 7, 2013
    Wow, This game far exceeded my expectations. Great graphics and story line, I couldnt put down the controller. The video clips and big scenes that are played are really well done, and definitely creates a form of suspense throughout the game.
  6. Mar 7, 2013
    Best Tomb Raider game ever made!. Crystal Dynamics have made a wonderful and entertaining game thats blow you away!. Buy it before you neighbor Lara Croft is back!
  7. Mar 7, 2013
    This is a top quality game and the only reason i'm giving it a 9 is that its not in 3D and it demands to be so. Some of the locations are nausea inducing in 2D in 3D it would be puke central. A great great game.
  8. Mar 10, 2013
    I enjoyed it form beginning to end. It's like classic Tomb Raider with awesome graphics and without the boring bits. My only gripe is that it is a bit short and well, every time I want to pick something up and stand in the wrong spot, Lara strikes up the torch, with became slightly irritating after a while. But apart from that it's top notch entertainment all the way through. There will beI enjoyed it form beginning to end. It's like classic Tomb Raider with awesome graphics and without the boring bits. My only gripe is that it is a bit short and well, every time I want to pick something up and stand in the wrong spot, Lara strikes up the torch, with became slightly irritating after a while. But apart from that it's top notch entertainment all the way through. There will be the ones among you who start whining every time a new Tomb Raider comes out, complaining about how it's not like the original series and blah blah blah, completely ignoring the fact that this is so much better than anything that came out under that franchise. There will be those among you who will complain bitterly that it's too easy and too linear and truth be told, there were a few moments when I wished the island would be more of the Far Cry 3 persuasion, meaning that you could roam more freely, but ti's not my decision to make. I guess it goes with the game-play. And the is fantastic. The story works. Lara looks and moves great. Can you ask for more? More of a challenge perhaps. Well, I have to admit, there were moments when I was missing those feelings of accomplishment that you got way back when you found that lever after an hour long search or when you finally managed that timed run on the tenth try. But look on the upside, the is no frustration whatsoever and I'm kinda grateful that Lara doesn't die all the time. And for those among you who complain about the uncharterisation of the TR franchise, I can only point out that Uncharted when it came out drew heavily on the TR formulae. So it's only fair in my view that they should get something back from Drake. I wish this to be a blazing success so that the creators continue in that vein. Can't wait for the next installment. Expand
  9. Mar 10, 2013
    Finished the game in a little over 13 on hard and this is perfectly paced hours. While being very linear the tory and solid action carried this game through to a very satisfying end. I played on release day with no patches and only encountered 1 bug like game crashed but only 1 time so its fine really great job
  10. Mar 10, 2013
    First off I have been playing Tomb Raider since it was released and boy has crystal dynamics and square enix done a wonderful job. I have to admit I have been drifting away from the gaming scene lately but somehow the reboot of Tomb Raider has just pulled me back in. I also love how they made Lara a human being as well plus an outstanding voice over by Camilla Luddington she reallyFirst off I have been playing Tomb Raider since it was released and boy has crystal dynamics and square enix done a wonderful job. I have to admit I have been drifting away from the gaming scene lately but somehow the reboot of Tomb Raider has just pulled me back in. I also love how they made Lara a human being as well plus an outstanding voice over by Camilla Luddington she really breathes life into a fading series. I strongly recommend this game to any action adventure gamer or casual gamer its lengthy and offers a strong replay value. Also I would like to say in conclusion that Tomb Raider is not a copy or imitator of Uncharted Lara Croft was the first to really explore treasure hunting and adventure properly on ps1, this is a must have title for any gamer and a must buy. Expand
  11. Mar 10, 2013
    I have been looking forward to this game. I am a huge Uncharted fan, so this game was right up my alley. I am not familiar with other Tomb Raider games, but I get upset to when one of my favorite franchises is changed (i.e. Resident Evil). This was fun, action game with a few problems. I died way too many times because it was difficult to see where to go and the overall game play wasI have been looking forward to this game. I am a huge Uncharted fan, so this game was right up my alley. I am not familiar with other Tomb Raider games, but I get upset to when one of my favorite franchises is changed (i.e. Resident Evil). This was fun, action game with a few problems. I died way too many times because it was difficult to see where to go and the overall game play was fairly repetitive. I liked the treasure part, and would have enjoyed more of the puzzle solving, but overall a good game that I am sure I will play through multiple times. Expand
  12. Mar 11, 2013
    I am a big fan of Uncharted and Batman Arkham Asylum, if you are too then Lara's newest adventure is something for you! The exploring and adventuring gameplay is really well executed and the combat never feels like a chore. Yes, story wise the growing curve off Lara is a bit steep at a certain moment where she turns from fragile girl into an action hero. But I did not find this irritatingI am a big fan of Uncharted and Batman Arkham Asylum, if you are too then Lara's newest adventure is something for you! The exploring and adventuring gameplay is really well executed and the combat never feels like a chore. Yes, story wise the growing curve off Lara is a bit steep at a certain moment where she turns from fragile girl into an action hero. But I did not find this irritating like some reviewers state. The story overall is really good and the scenery is amazing. The graphics are on par with games like uncharted 3 and if you have some nice speakers the sound effects are awesome to listen to as well. I played this game in a darkened room with the volume up high and the wolves really scared the out of me! I can not praise Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix enough for bringing us this great reboot of a franchise we all loved when we were a bit younger And now we can all admire Lara's curves, euhm I mean actions, all over again! Expand
  13. Mar 11, 2013
    Tomb raider is not bad at all, it looks amazing and the gameplay is good even if it adopts the duck and cover approach to gaming. Lara our well known heroine is taken back to her youth and the game shows here progression into a hardened explorer, but this progression isn't as good as Far Cry 3. Unfortunately this game loses that Tomb Raider feel. With the introduction of Lara's 'spiderTomb raider is not bad at all, it looks amazing and the gameplay is good even if it adopts the duck and cover approach to gaming. Lara our well known heroine is taken back to her youth and the game shows here progression into a hardened explorer, but this progression isn't as good as Far Cry 3. Unfortunately this game loses that Tomb Raider feel. With the introduction of Lara's 'spider sense' it took all the frustration and anger I had for all the other Tomb Raiders and I missed it! In previous games you could sometimes be stuck in one room for hours trying to work out how the hell to get out, in this installation your lucky to spend more than 5 minutes in one of the well created stunning rooms or section and I feel it's a shame. I understand that they are trying to take the games in a new direction but why? We have games like this but we don't have games like the old tomb raiders, there was that lack of "what the hell" no levels where there is a random dinosaur or visiting area 51 this game is taking itself a little but too serious. I remember playing Tomb Raider underworld, the first level you started and underwater and just had to work it out, Tomb Raider like many modern games hold you by the had and make sure you can't possibly make a mistake and that's unfortunate I feel compelled to blame modern games but I will try not to (even though I kinda have), the creators have perhaps been playing to much drake? Over all good solid game but bring back more puzzles and perhaps dinosaurs? Expand
  14. Mar 11, 2013
    This is a great reboot that expanded in almost every aspect. It has remarkable graphics and the storyline is great. Not to mention, the puzzles are fun. It feels good to see one of your favorite game franchises do well.
  15. Mar 13, 2013
    Good game overall with a few details keeping it from being a great game. Compared to the tomb raiders of yore, this feels like the How-to-be-Lara version. Your hand is held through the majority of the game, whether it's the prompt style combat or the 1-2-3 puzzles. I remember getting stumped so bad in previous tomb raiders, that I would give up in frustration. After conversing with my nerdGood game overall with a few details keeping it from being a great game. Compared to the tomb raiders of yore, this feels like the How-to-be-Lara version. Your hand is held through the majority of the game, whether it's the prompt style combat or the 1-2-3 puzzles. I remember getting stumped so bad in previous tomb raiders, that I would give up in frustration. After conversing with my nerd friends, (back then I rarely did the online cheat thing dial-up in the projects...) I would eventually come back with a solution, feeling good that I met the challenge. The story mixed with hidden documents found all over the island I have to admit kept me on edge. I kept doing the scooby-doo-murder-mystery thing, accusing everybody of being a bad guy in disguise, lol. Lara's character acting screams noobie Croft I loved it perfect for her origin story. Sadly, the other characters were less compelling.

Not sure about replay value multiplayer? I'm uncomfortable with this. Past experiences with single player games all of a sudden going multi were never good ones... Let's see: Fable III, GTA IV, ME3 (omgwhy?T_T@#%%$)... This is not the Tomb Raider I was expecting but, I'm satisfied.
  16. Mar 14, 2013
    Brilliant, brilliant game. This was the first Tomb Raider game I have ever played (decided to pick it up as I'm a huge fan of Uncharted) and this game did not disappoint. The story is great and it really pulls you in and I really felt connected to Lara right from the get go. The voice acting is top notch across the board, and I thought that Camilla Luddington did an excellent job as Lara.Brilliant, brilliant game. This was the first Tomb Raider game I have ever played (decided to pick it up as I'm a huge fan of Uncharted) and this game did not disappoint. The story is great and it really pulls you in and I really felt connected to Lara right from the get go. The voice acting is top notch across the board, and I thought that Camilla Luddington did an excellent job as Lara. Really just a wonderful game and I can't wait for the next one. Expand
  17. Mar 15, 2013
    A great and much needed reboot to the Tomb Raider series has rejuvenated the franchise with this very successful game by Crystal Dynamics, The action of the game is extremely fun and using the bow feels very good, upgrading your weapons over the course of the game is very cool, however the skill perk system is generic with a few exceptions. The story is good showing the growth of LaraA great and much needed reboot to the Tomb Raider series has rejuvenated the franchise with this very successful game by Crystal Dynamics, The action of the game is extremely fun and using the bow feels very good, upgrading your weapons over the course of the game is very cool, however the skill perk system is generic with a few exceptions. The story is good showing the growth of Lara Croft from innocent explorer to strong survivor, Lara's character is very good but her ship mates are pretty much stereotypes and are not very interesting. Tomb Raider provides a great reboot to a long running franchise with one of the most iconic characters in gaming, It's gritty, fun and will keep you hooked from beginning to end, If you have played the Uncharted series the gameplay is very similar with both being pretty much the same quality combat wise. Pick this game up, It's one of the best games of 2013 so far. Expand
  18. Mar 15, 2013
    A very fantastic experience that no one should not miss.Tomb Raider is a must own game for those who collects games for xbox360,ps3 ore pc and no doubt that this title is one of my favorite games released of 2013.
  19. Mar 17, 2013
    WinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWiWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWin Expand
  20. Mar 17, 2013
    I was sceptical about this game until i saw some of the gameplay so decided to brave it. I was mightily impressed with this reboot. Made Lara a very believable character as part of a very dark and gritty story that turns her into the survival/explorer that made her famous. I loved the hidden tombs that you could explore off the beaten track which I expect will be expanded more in the nextI was sceptical about this game until i saw some of the gameplay so decided to brave it. I was mightily impressed with this reboot. Made Lara a very believable character as part of a very dark and gritty story that turns her into the survival/explorer that made her famous. I loved the hidden tombs that you could explore off the beaten track which I expect will be expanded more in the next installment as this game is mainly (and rightly) about the origin. The soundtrack is fantastic particularly with a surround sound system and really add to the atmosphere. The action set pieces are amazing and topple the likes of the uncharted series and many recent action films. The only downside is the trophy system for my fellow 100% completionists. In order to fully platinum this game you are required to spend at least 20-40 hours just on the multi-player side to level up which is simply unacceptable for a single-player game such as this. To close this is probably the best game of 2013 so far and will take something special to top it. This game has set a high standard for the series and I hope that they can build on the great foundation they have laid here. Expand
  21. Mar 18, 2013
    A reboot of such an iconic character was never going to be easy, however Crystal Dynamics have hit the mark. This a young Lara Croft, on her first major expedition. However not all is as it seems, Lara finds herself quickly fighting for survival. The voice acting alongside her new origin story only helps in making Lara seem more human than ever before. The combat, while not as polished asA reboot of such an iconic character was never going to be easy, however Crystal Dynamics have hit the mark. This a young Lara Croft, on her first major expedition. However not all is as it seems, Lara finds herself quickly fighting for survival. The voice acting alongside her new origin story only helps in making Lara seem more human than ever before. The combat, while not as polished as some other action games is solid and generally quite pleasing. However the multiplayer part of the game feels like its just slapped on for added bonus as it seems every game now feels it needs to cater for multiplayer. However I doubt anyone would of picked this up to play a multiplayer game. While not as focused on 'raiding tombs' the strength of the game is definitely the story. Lara Croft has been given a new lease of life and I for one can't wait to see where Crystal Dynamics take her next. Expand
  22. Mar 21, 2013
    I never really liked TR so i was a little unsure about jumping into this one. However i heard it was compared to uncharted, which is one of my all time favorite game franchises. So i gave it a shot, and while i would say the game play is every similar, the story is much different. It is much darker and i think this is a good thing because it makes Lara a little more believable thenI never really liked TR so i was a little unsure about jumping into this one. However i heard it was compared to uncharted, which is one of my all time favorite game franchises. So i gave it a shot, and while i would say the game play is every similar, the story is much different. It is much darker and i think this is a good thing because it makes Lara a little more believable then Drake. I will say though that the Multi player is weak! not saying Uncharted's is STRONG but it is stronger then this. Very tacked on. Expand
  23. Mar 20, 2013
    Best game ever, graphics are incredible, I give this an 8 because im grading it as a whole, Single player story mode is a 10/10 but as for multiplayer it sucks. But definitly get this game it really is worth $60.
  24. Mar 20, 2013
    "TOMB RAIDER is an excellent reboot of a gaming icon that proudly celebrates the character that started the action genre to begin with. Lara Croft is a strong, believable & badass character that proves there’s room for the opposite gender in a genre overpopulated by male action heroes.

It’s a brutal game that showcases a young woman braving the elements to survive & become the character that fans worldwide have loved for years. It’s not only a fantastic action adventure game with beautiful environments, music & game design but a compelling character piece that proves that this is a series to watch out for.

TOMB RAIDER is a bloody good time, anyone looking for a great semi-open world adventure should definitely look into this. It’s amazing."

Read my full review: http://tmblr.co/ZOA6EyfkoZaI
  25. Mar 21, 2013
    The new TR is a fast paced, polished AAA title that's very enjoyable. Sure it's a change from the original TR games but it's an origin story so it's supposed to be different. The combat is fun and the bow is a cracker. My only complaints would be the puzzles and bosses are a little too easy and there is no challenge in the climbing sections. Best played on hard.
  26. Mar 27, 2013
    By now we’ve learned to ignore the hype about up-and-coming games, no matter how much we want to believe that they are going to be the greatest thing we’ve ever played.
    As an ardent Tomb Raider fan who’s played them all since 1996 (and that one I’ve played I and II and over and I’m still playing) I really, really hoped it was going to live up to that hype. After all it had received numerous awards at the E3, although I’ve never really understood what rating an unfinished game is all about.
    The first hour of play felt like a straightforward 3rd person shooter with top-notch graphics yet irritating characterisation and lousy voice acting. There was also the issue of QTE scenes wiggle stick, mash button, escape bad guy etc. I thought ‘OK this is the first hour, they have to move the narrative along, get us onto the island and start exploring,’ besides, the cut scenes were pretty enough. Just as long as they didn’t overpower the rest of the game...
    And then you arrive on the island and take control of Lara for real. It’s definitely one of the best-realized, amazing vistas you could wish for in a Tomb Raider; forests, sea, mountains, hilltop villages, huge imposing cliff faces… it all looks amazing and you just know that once you’ve got your teeth under the skin of it and started digging around that this will be the greatest Raider ever.
    And like so many things in life it’s the tantalizing expectation of what’s to come that is the real buzz. And that was true. As soon as I started to play in earnest the house of cards began to crumble. What began was one of the most linear, blatant, hand-held, easy and disappointing games I’ve played.
    The QTE scenes kept on coming admittedly often to link ‘levels’ together but they seemed to be there all the time.
    If you cherished the puzzles in any previous Tomb Raiders be warned: they are virtually optional in the 2013 incarnation. As are the tombs.
    Yep, the tombs themselves are optional –and to call them tombs (and indeed to call this Tomb Raider) is deceptive.
    This is an out-and-out action title with really, really nice scenery. Lots of shooting with the emphasis on, er, more shooting. The option to employ strategy (what weapons to choose) is largely negligible and the other option being stealth unless blatantly directed otherwise -is usually redundant.
    You are given paths through the mountains, a forest, a shantytown, caves and everything else you would expect loads of potential but it is just one cutscene followed by a shootout with more and more waves of goons and then the music stops and it all goes quiet. You restock ammo, mooch about a bit and then move towards the next cutscene for more of the same.
    What is left over after you deduct what has ironically been stolen from the Unchartered series (which itself owes much to Lara’s earlier outings) is little worth talking about. In fact, where I’d previously thought of Nathan Drake’s trilogy as a kind of Tomb Raider Lite, I now found myself hankering after some of Nathan and Sully’s wit as opposed to the mithering displayed by Croft & co in this outing.
    The plot in Tomb Raider 2013 is, well, OK but are we really supposed to care about the fortunes of a bunch of potty-mouthed numpties who’ve crashed their boat (seriously, swears in a Tomb Raider?)? No, we are concerned about the fortunes of Lara Croft raiding tombs is a very personal thing right? And to keep dragging the narrative back to the cast of Dawson’s Creek with all their various issues was distracting and tiresome. I quickly found the voice acting for Lara really irritating as well, with her wistful gravelly ‘it’s so sad’ waffle every time she discovered a Japanese cup in a shed.
    And, man, was there a lot of Japanese trinket discovery to be had, yet despite my earlier whingeing about no exploring, all of the discoveries in the game felt so easy and contrived. They were in crates clearly visible most of the time and who cares anyway? There were so many, and with zero consequence. It didn’t really add to anything unless you found a weapon part or a bit more salvage to enable you to upgrade your weapons. And because the combat was so easy, who gives a it all seemed so superfluous. That really sums a lot of Tomb Raider up apart from the clearly discoverable hidden tomb section, I cannot think of anywhere that I actually had to consider my next move. It was painfully simple if it had been called ‘Boat Crashed Chumps in Trouble’, it would have been a graphically superior, decent enough action title 8/10 for sure.
    But this is supposed to be Tomb Raider. It has all the right ingredients- big, mysterious island, Lost (tv series) vibe, great graphics, finally a decent control system including decent combat controls etc so why does it leave me so cold?
  27. Sep 29, 2013
    When i first picked this game up over the summer my buddy who works at Gamestop told me this Man this game is amazing! It puts Uncharted to shame and its between this and Last of Us for Game of the Year! Now when my initial reaction when i heard that was yeah whatever haha it looks good but there is no way it'll put Uncharted to shame! Well now that i have beaten the game i can tell youWhen i first picked this game up over the summer my buddy who works at Gamestop told me this Man this game is amazing! It puts Uncharted to shame and its between this and Last of Us for Game of the Year! Now when my initial reaction when i heard that was yeah whatever haha it looks good but there is no way it'll put Uncharted to shame! Well now that i have beaten the game i can tell you that i was DEAD WRONG!! Tomb Raider is an absolutely amazing game that as much as it pains me to say it definitely puts Uncharted to shame! Everything in this game from the story to the graphics, the locations and the characters is all breathtaking. If you haven't played this title yet do yourself a favor and go pick it up! Without a doubt one of my contenders for game of the year Expand
  28. Mar 30, 2013
    This was a very fun game a few things that could have done better in the campaign like add more guys shooting while you are trying to find objects ect.... The biggest compliant I have with the game are the glitches and bugs in the multi player, OMG it is awful, and that is an understatement!
  29. Apr 3, 2013
    This game is alright but not that good, that's really all I can say about this game. Great graphics, great gameplay the WORST multiplayer on this planet! What the hell Square Enix
  30. Apr 12, 2013
    the only thing bad about this game is that its to short the rest was amazing I love the new lara croft and I hope to see more the expressions on her face were amazing she reacted to death and pain like any normal person would great game must play
  31. May 1, 2013
    Muy buen juego la verdad al estar jugando la campaña me senti muy emocionado y a la ves lleno de furia al estar luchando y sobresaliendo con lara croft. Tomb Raider regreso perfectamente bien y mas que eso
  32. Jun 14, 2013
    mo um fã de Uncharted die-hard eu posso facilmente dizer que este jogo um jogo a ter em conta e para se vangloriar. Crystal Dynamics tem feito um grande trabalho em termos de narrativa e, especialmente, gameplay, com o arco e flecha de ser um prazer de usar. a vez da Naughty Dog agora, espero que se eles liberam Uncharted 4 terão a Tomb Raider normal ter de topo.
  33. Oct 21, 2013
    A piece of art. It's a game of adventure and action, and it has some puzzles to test your intelligence.
    there are many obstacles that Lara faces witch makes it more interesting. I enjoyed the game a lot!
  34. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Great looking environments, character models are very detailed, animals look realistic, this game looks amazing. 10.

Sound: Great voice acting, nice themes, environmental sounds are realistic (storm effect). 10. Gameplay: The game play has been redefined and it really is better than any of the previous Tomb Raider games. Think of Uncharted but open world, and this is

Gameplay: The game play has been redefined and it really is better than any of the previous Tomb Raider games. Think of Uncharted but open world, and this is truly what makes this game shine. The weapons are great; the addition of the bow is fantastic, and fun to take out enemies with. There are collectibles everywhere which are addicting to go for. The tombs are really fun although it could use more of a challenge. The game has a Metroid Prime/Arkham (Batman) feel where in order to access some areas you need to get new equipment or upgrade it. You can hunt in the game which is useful for upgrades for weapons, along with salvaging. There are some stealth elements but they are not perfect, but it works. The multiplayer felt bland and uninteresting, and somewhat a low down version of the Uncharted games, but it’s still added value, and can be fun. 9.2.

Story: This is the weakest part of the game, it’s got a story that progresses well, but nearing the end it just falls apart or seems to be a basic story with no amazing twists, although there is some mystery at the middle. The characters are decent, some are annoying, some are forgettable, but overall it was a good story, and I enjoyed it. 8.5.

Replay Value: There’s tons of replay value, collectibles plus the game itself is ranging from 15-20 hours, and there’s an added multiplayer. 10.

Overall Score: 9.5 out of 10.
  35. Aug 27, 2013
    as a woman i am appalled that they keep using hot chicks in video games. just kidding! yep she's still hot, the gameplay is still outstanding. the graphics for this title are gorgeous and the plot is actually the best in the entire series. very emotional, not just a suspense-drivel plot. (there is also suspense of course.)
  36. Jan 23, 2014
    Even though there are several gameplay issues, the one that grabs my attention more than any other would have to be the fact that Laura can't climb (jump) every available surface, She can use her tool to climb the walls and rocks but nothing for climbing over 5 foot fences or 4 foot desks. But other than a cliched beginning, it proved to get way better as you play the game. Once the gameEven though there are several gameplay issues, the one that grabs my attention more than any other would have to be the fact that Laura can't climb (jump) every available surface, She can use her tool to climb the walls and rocks but nothing for climbing over 5 foot fences or 4 foot desks. But other than a cliched beginning, it proved to get way better as you play the game. Once the game starts up, then it gets just unbelievable. There are several scenes that could be considered cliche, but the way that the developers designed certain levels and the graphics, along with the outstanding voice work, it becomes a great game. Just absolutely marvelous. At times, the game feels like an obvious GOTY nominee but it also has its faults. It's a really great game but it's just muffled by some weak areas. The story, I though could not have been better. It's just enthralling and picks up the pace beautifully. Also the graphics were some of the best that I've ever seen at the time, Now acknowledging that there are next gen systems that will play this game, I can say that it will probably be beautiful on PS4 and Xbox One. The game is great on PS3. but can't wait for the PS4 edition!! It's a near perfect game. Expand
  37. Jul 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i was never huge fan of the tomb raider franchise, but after reading so many reviews of the game and hearing all the critical acclaim about it, i had to check it out. needless to say, i wasnt at all disappointed. though i am not too familiar with prior work crystal dynamics has done before, this game stands out in the puzzle/action genre that i hope future games of its kind will model itself after. the graphics and visual aspects of the game, the sound design and replay value of the game is awesome.

over the course of roughly 2 weeks since i first recieved the game, i beat the game in about 3 or 4 days, with a final completion score of 82%. i would play the game for a couple of hours at a time, and always looked forward to coming back to it. the game is in fact an origin story. that is, provides an interesting idea of how lara croft did became the strong survivalist character we identify with her as a being pop culture icon we know her as today. The game is developed by Crystal Dynamics. to my knowledge, they havent done anything previously that has really stood out to me in the gaming industry (though if anyone wishes to suggest a game of theirs i should check out, please do). they have done a truly great job with the game. the overall visual design of the game is absolutely beautiful and the play mechanics of controlling Lara are smooth, clean and precise.. the sound design captures the immersive environment incredibly well varying from a thick jungle to a sprawling mountain town with accompanying various changes of realistic weather as you progress through the game. the combat, which drives about 75% of the gameplay, borrows subtle incredients from the recent Resident Evil games we've seen in recent years and is fluid, engaging and thanks to the rich various different environments, i never found dull.

if you appreciate the more technical aspects of current gen games, the game has a lot of great visual effects that add to the overall experience which one would really appreciate, not to also mention things like realistic destructible cover during the intense shoot out scenes and its environments, ragdoll physics mechanics with the bodies of enemies as they hurl through the air during explosions and the like. overall, these elements done so amazingly well help to drive a fun game play experience.

the game has a compelling storyline with a few subtle plot twists, and it is easy to identify with lara as a protagonist. this game is rated 'M' for mature and for good reason. Lara gets bloodied, beaten up and in an extreme capacity that would make even the most hardened gamer or even horror movie fan of gore cringe occasionally. the game is of course an adventure/shooter game with lots of shoot-out set pieces. it offers lots of use of weapons for lara to find and learn to use anything from a pick axe,a pistols, machine guns and even (my favourite) the awesome bow and arrow. this game offers a warm welcome to such a primitive weapon. it's fun to use and being able to pull off headshots is just incredibly satisfying.

one thing i of course must mention is the puzzle solving aspect to the game. the puzzles arent as heavily placed in prior games. in fact, they are entirely optional to pursue. you can get by without engaging in any of them which are found in tombs placed all throughout the game, but ignoring them completely even on a second playthrough would be discouraged. the rewards from solving these puzzles rewards Lara very generously with bonus XP and that is always a great thing! on a personal note though, i felt that they often slowed down the pace of the game and as i came across these tombs, i really debated with myself if i really wanted to do them at all.

as said earlier, the story line is engaging and rarely has a dull moment. the action never lets up, and is a great game that offers the player tons of replay value to return back to previous locales to look for any outstanding secret areas. i cant see this as game that too many people will be returning, trading or selling for something else in the long term. i recommend this to anyone who likes the puzzle/adventure games but also enjoys the intense action of 3rd person shooter. This Tomb Raider game has in some ways set the bar for future games of its kind to model after.

i would happily rate this as one of the top 10 games for 2013.
  38. May 5, 2014
    The reboot combines elements of the old franchise, Uncharted and even Farcry to make an epic game. The graphics are lush and the puzzles are just hard enough to keep you trying again and again. Combat is frustrating at times but is more accessible than the Uncharted combat. The multiplayer is poor but this game is not about MP. I was lucky enough to get this 'free' with plus. AwesomeThe reboot combines elements of the old franchise, Uncharted and even Farcry to make an epic game. The graphics are lush and the puzzles are just hard enough to keep you trying again and again. Combat is frustrating at times but is more accessible than the Uncharted combat. The multiplayer is poor but this game is not about MP. I was lucky enough to get this 'free' with plus. Awesome stuff. The only downside is having to wait for the sequel. Expand
  39. Apr 7, 2013
    MUCH MORE BETTER THAN ALL UNCHARTED TITLE xd
    so...i think pc version is all better than console version, but this Tomb raider is an a graphical adventure finally we can see gory scenes and violent, something completely neglected in the past. in my opinion a great game, but to just buy used. not worth 70 for 11 hours of adventure
  40. Apr 14, 2014
    I've never played the original games, and I honestly not sure if I would have ever gotten around to playing this one if it weren't for PS Plus. It's just not a series I have taken any previous interest in. Well all that changes with this latest entry. It's single-player makes for one of the best action experiences you'll find in gaming, and it's just an all around blast.

The game looks

The game looks fantastic, and the voice acting and soundtrack are top-notch. The story is mostly well-done, and the characters emotions are believable, even if they aren't these aren't the smartest survivors out there. Even main character Lara Croft fails to recognize the obvious twists in the story until hours after they have been revealed. This is all forgivable when you're actually playing the game, taking in it's fantastic setting and atmosphere, and experiencing it's many awesome set-pieces.

Gameplay here is excellent. It clearly borrows from the Uncharted series, and rivals that series in many ways with it's excellent gunplay and platforming. Environments are filled with collectibles and other items to scavenge that you can use to upgrade your weapons. There are plenty of reasons to pull yourself away from the main quest for a little bit. Even doing things like hunting animals can gain you valuable XP that you can use to upgrade Lara's survival skills. With all the fun stuff that is going on, the story mode can be hard to put down. Sadly the same can't be said for the game's multiplayer, which is a truly buggy and unpolished experience.

With characters that glitch around the map, rough graphics, and severe balancing issues, this is the epitome of a good game with bad multiplayer. It feels unfinished and rushed, and conflicts are largely one-sided affairs where one side completely destroys another with no apparent reasoning. I had matches where my bullets would take out my opponents in a few hits, only to experience another match where it felt like I was shooting my opponents BB gun pellets. The multiplayer feels broken, and it in no way matches the extreme level of excellence that the campaign achieves. I was done with it after only a few matches, and I would have given the game a better score had multiplayer not been included at all.

Overall the majority of this game is incredibly impressive. From a technical standpoint it's gorgeous and plays perfectly. It's story mode is tight and a heck of a lot of fun. As long as you avoid the multiplayer you will have a blast with the game. This is one 3rd person action game with a story-mode that rivals even the work of the mighty Naughty Dog. Truly this is one you do not want to miss. I give it an 8.5/10-Great.
  41. Aug 16, 2013
    To set the context, I had just finished playing The Last of U (good), and before that Metro: Last Light (really good). I was looking for something to move onto and was worried it would be hard to find something that lived up to the experience of these two games... I was very much pleased with the Tomb Raider. I think the developers did an awesome job with the game, the environments wereTo set the context, I had just finished playing The Last of U (good), and before that Metro: Last Light (really good). I was looking for something to move onto and was worried it would be hard to find something that lived up to the experience of these two games... I was very much pleased with the Tomb Raider. I think the developers did an awesome job with the game, the environments were great, voice acting top notch, and the game play had a lot of the traditional Tomb Raider without being overly difficult or cumbersome... I enjoyed the whole game, BUT, OMG, The MP IS ABOUT THEN MOST HORRIBLE THING I have ever seen on this generation console... WHY DID THEY BOTHER? I played it once and almost barfed at the stark contrast. Play it for the single player experience and move onto something else. for me, I am going back and catching up with the Dishonored DLC. Expand
  42. Nov 2, 2013
    I was really enjoying this until a part where I had to fight my way through a rusted shanty town near a downed helocopter.Then the game devolved into a standard 3rd person shooter for a while with waves of enemies(on a lost and oh so mysterious isle)and it all went downhill from there and I lost interest within the hour.Maybe it returned to the high points of the adventure but I'll never know.
  43. Mar 24, 2013
    Absolutely amazing, such a turn around for a horrible franchise. To put it gently, Tomb Raider was a very bad series, but this new Tomb Raider changes all of that. When completing the game, yes, it can feel like they are holding your hand, but the game is just too epic and amazing to give a crap about something that Uncharted is just as guilty of. Where this Tomb Raider defeatsAbsolutely amazing, such a turn around for a horrible franchise. To put it gently, Tomb Raider was a very bad series, but this new Tomb Raider changes all of that. When completing the game, yes, it can feel like they are holding your hand, but the game is just too epic and amazing to give a crap about something that Uncharted is just as guilty of. Where this Tomb Raider defeats Uncharted is the tombs and optional tombs that await off the beaten path. While in these tombs, there is absolutely no hand holding and I get giddy about the joy to behold when I discovered a hidden tomb deep inside of a cave or inside a merky mountain passage. Inside these tombs, there is brilliant and rewarding puzzles. Buy this game, it is the best game I've played in YEARS. 11/10 in my opinion, but the rating bar only goes up to 10. Expand
  44. Mar 26, 2013
    Every action adventure fan must play this. The gameplay is rich, combat is fun and climbing is even better with lots to explore on the island. The island has a wide variety of amazing environments and is brought to life by the fantastic graphics. There are lots of collectibles and tombs to find, as well as a deep upgrade system. The main story has thrilling set pieces with a wellEvery action adventure fan must play this. The gameplay is rich, combat is fun and climbing is even better with lots to explore on the island. The island has a wide variety of amazing environments and is brought to life by the fantastic graphics. There are lots of collectibles and tombs to find, as well as a deep upgrade system. The main story has thrilling set pieces with a well rounded story. Lara is a great character and its her development as a character that makes the story much more exciting, however the rest of the supporting cast are generally lacking. Multiplayer is not worth it, it feels very rushed and underdeveloped. Overall an incredible game that you must not miss out on. Expand
  45. Mar 28, 2013
    This isn't your grandpa's Tomb Raider. The level of commitment and passion that Crystal Dynamics put into this game is fantastic. I remember playing the old Tomb Raiders, and it was nice to see a breath of fresh air blown into a franchise that was beginning to run a bit stale. The graphics and presentation are excellent. The island of Yamatai is fully-realized and detailed, putting you inThis isn't your grandpa's Tomb Raider. The level of commitment and passion that Crystal Dynamics put into this game is fantastic. I remember playing the old Tomb Raiders, and it was nice to see a breath of fresh air blown into a franchise that was beginning to run a bit stale. The graphics and presentation are excellent. The island of Yamatai is fully-realized and detailed, putting you in the universe with ease. Lara herself looks phenomenal. The writing and story is surprisingly good, well beyond what I expected. I was invested in Lara's character throughout, and was genuinely concerned for her safety throughout. This game truly was all about survival. Gameplay wise, it plays like your standard third-person shooter, with a stealth twist. It was fun, but the similarities to Uncharted were there. The customization and upgrade system was was a nice touch, and the ability to fast travel back to old locations in order to collect missed collectibles was awesome. My one main gripe with the game was the lackluster tombs that populated the games. This IS Tomb Raider after all. The 8 or so tombs that were in the game felt small and simple. Most of them could be solved with very little thought going into them. I would have liked to see a little more attention go into these tombs. My other gripe is the multiplier, which I felt was unnecessary. It feels tacked on and not fully-realized, like they were just looking for something to increase the game's longevity. Overall though, and excellent game that should be played by fans of the franchise and newcomers alike. Expand
  46. Jul 24, 2013
    Lara Croft is back and with her a lot of dismembering, assaulting and fighting. This game has no balance whatsoever between exploration and fighting sessions. All elements are pretty well done, but they don't mix the right way.
    What is left is an uncanny experience that could have been much better with a little tweaking. This reboot is an easy game with some exploring, a lot of shooting and some of the most recognizable graphics of this generation.
    You'll have fun playing it, that's for sure, but you could end up wondering what might have been. And that would have been easy to achieve with a more careful treatment of combat sections.
  47. Apr 4, 2013
    This game has so many explosions you would think you were watching a Michael Bay film. I'll let you decide if that is a good thing or not. This particular Tomb Raider puts exploration on that back burner and focuses on cinematic set pieces full of daring jumps and big explosions. While everything is executed very well, I miss those exploration elements that cause you to stop and think.This game has so many explosions you would think you were watching a Michael Bay film. I'll let you decide if that is a good thing or not. This particular Tomb Raider puts exploration on that back burner and focuses on cinematic set pieces full of daring jumps and big explosions. While everything is executed very well, I miss those exploration elements that cause you to stop and think. They do present themselves a few times but these moments are rare. The combat is enjoyable and better than any previous Tomb Raider but still starts to wear thin about half way through the game. Even with the generic combat and lack of exploration, the interesting story and strong visuals should be enough to keep you playing through to the end. Expand
  48. Jun 25, 2013
    This game is amazing! I can't believe it took me so long to play it! It has the best graphics I've seen in a game. Those graphics are backed by super fun gameplay mechanics and amazing storytelling. If they make a sequel, I'll be in line for a midnight release.
  49. Apr 27, 2013
    Where I to judge this game solely on the single player, I would say this: Tomb Raider 2013 is a worthy prequel to both the character and the series. Sadly, the multiplayer mode hangs around this game's neck like a rotting albatross, and it has tarnished my lasting opinion of the title.

My advice to you all is not to touch the multiplayer unless you are desperate to get the Platinum; this is a single player game, and you should treat it as such.

On the merits of the single player, there are plenty. The combat is satisfying, the exploration is fun, the puzzles and platforming are challenging enough without feeling unfair or frustrating. Lara's character development is quite difficult to watch sometimes, but it feels good to see her grow into this tough, warrior-adventurer heroine.

Tomb Raider 2013 is a must-buy for any Tomb Raider fan who has been left feeling lacklustre after Underworld and its ilk. For people new to the franchise it could be a good starting point. It's just a shame they wasted so much time and effort on that crappy multiplayer; without that, I'd likely give the game a 7 or 8.
  50. Mar 30, 2013
    WARNING:HARDCORE TOMB RAIDER FANS MAYBE DISAPPOINTED BY THIS REBOOT OF THE SERIES...I REPEAT THE KEY WORD IN THIS SENTENCE.......REBOOT PEOPLE!! Now I usually start with the good but I want to get the bad out of the way first so here it is...THIS IS NOT BADASS...BACKFLIPING...HANDSTAND CLIMBING...DUEL PISTOL WEILDING...DINOSAUR KILLING...BEAR SLAUGHTERING....TOMB RAIDING...FEARLESS SHE GODWARNING:HARDCORE TOMB RAIDER FANS MAYBE DISAPPOINTED BY THIS REBOOT OF THE SERIES...I REPEAT THE KEY WORD IN THIS SENTENCE.......REBOOT PEOPLE!! Now I usually start with the good but I want to get the bad out of the way first so here it is...THIS IS NOT BADASS...BACKFLIPING...HANDSTAND CLIMBING...DUEL PISTOL WEILDING...DINOSAUR KILLING...BEAR SLAUGHTERING....TOMB RAIDING...FEARLESS SHE GOD we grew up with.She's A SNOT NOSED...CO-DEPENDENT...SCARY ASS CRYBABY WHO QUICKLY GETS ON YOUR NERVES. I must admit as a tomb raider fan i was shocked at how weak and vulnerable she was..that she needed constant reassuring! I didn't like that killing animals who were frolicking for food was necessary for xp vs killing animals because THEY ATTACKED YOU in previous tomb raider games were now the status quo......um....where's the swimming segments in this game? Wait...shes on an Island but cant swim? What happened to the tombs? Remember raiding HUGH tombs? Its here but they are EXTREMELY SHORT AND EVEN EASIER TO NAVIGATE AND COMPLETE WITH PUZZLES DESIGNED TO CHALLENGE A SEVEN YEAR OLD KID! Wait it gets worse....THE DREADED QTE ELEMENTS ARE HERE....WATERING DOWN MY PRECIOUS TOMB RAIDER?? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! From the beginning the qte scenes are there...ready to take control from the player and force them to complete certain parts of the game the way they want you to instead of you completing it the way you want...the end boss? A QTE GAMEPLAY STEALING NIGHTMARE WHICH QUICKLY TURNS INTO AN ANTI-CLIMACTIC SCENE..I wish I could have fought him myself but I was disappointed that I had no direct control over the final fight of the game. Lets not forget about the hand holding...I hate to agree with some of the other reviewers but it constantly takes away the strategy aspect of the game because if you do get stuck you can either wait for lara to gives you the clue you need(this was in TB underworld but was optional)or just press L2 and the game highlights your objective which takes away ALL STRATEGY!! For these aforementioned....this is NOT your average tomb raider game or tomb raider at all..it also suffers from a few bugs...one enemy approached me and he disappeared but his weapon was still visible..and the game froze on me more than twice when a lot was going on on the screen like at the end when you fight the storm guard...it froze because of all the enemy's and explosions happening at once.she also doesn't wield dual pistols until the end(qte scene steals gameplay). Oh and the multiplayer was not only tacked on to say hey everyone we have multiplayer!!' feel to it... but just wasn't fun because honestly...this game..like uncharted or dead space or any other third person game like the ones mentioned DO NOT NEED MULITPLAYER!! When I get God of War ascension I wont play multiplayer just like I didn't with dead space 2 and 3...uncharted 2 and 3 but I tried it here and didn't like it. Now the good: The addicting story! I gotta say that even though lara was scared out of her mind and co dependent I really liked the new lara(once I gave it a chance that is) the yamati island changed lara but before that I felt a connection for her and as such...I cared about lara when I played tomb raider.the island is Hugh and even though its linear in its approach there's still a ton to do given the size of the locations of the area's she visits like the gps search..various relics and treasures...audio books on the shipwrecked crew including lara and the islands inhabitants as well as the queen and the storm guard. Its linear in its design but remarkably deep and covers a wide range of different aspects of the island so thanks for that crystal dynamics. The graphics are amazing but sometimes things in the distance start to become transparent but it doesn't take away from the experience at all....I just love the tower lara's in and has to bring down a giant bell!! The wind looks amazing as it makes Swiss cheese of the wooden tower!! The weapons are a joy to use as each gun...hand gun(single) shotgun..Ak47 with grenade launcher are upgraded and I gotta say...its worth it but the show stealing bow is easily the best and most unique weapon(my fav by the way) need to get to that far cliff? Use the rope and bow combo Need to burn that high up net? Equip the fire tip arrows. Want to explode your enemies but don't want to use the ak47/grenade launcher combo? Don't worry the bow and arrow has you covered!! Tomb raider isn't without its flaws but this is a great action adventure game that's only for people willing to accept change...which isn't all bad just let us swim in the next game and PLEASE DO NOT ADD QTE SCENES AND HAND HOLDING TYPE GAMEPLAY!! The adventure is here...the exploration is here...tomb raiding(though small and lack complexity) is here and the combat is phenomenal(you use a hiking tool in battle) and so are the executions lara performs!! I give tomb raider a solid 8 out of 10 for its gameplay..graphics...and story..welcome back lara!! Expand
  51. Apr 21, 2013
    Enjoyable and over-the-top take on the Tomb Raider franchise, essentially taking the mechanics of Uncharted and putting Lara Croft back into her rightful place as the poster-child for relic hunting in video-games. Final act is a highlight but the final boss is disappointing.
  52. Aug 3, 2013
    I've never played a Tomb Raider game really apart from Legend on DS but as this stands this is a great game. I'm a big fan of Uncharted and while it is similar, it's also very different too. I found Tomb Raider a pretty solid game with good gameplay, graphics and voice acting, but the latter is not perfect. The story revolves around the beginning days of Lara Croft as a survivor and it'sI've never played a Tomb Raider game really apart from Legend on DS but as this stands this is a great game. I'm a big fan of Uncharted and while it is similar, it's also very different too. I found Tomb Raider a pretty solid game with good gameplay, graphics and voice acting, but the latter is not perfect. The story revolves around the beginning days of Lara Croft as a survivor and it's interesting to see how she became the hardened killer we know and love.
    Weapon combat is very satisfying and it's nice to be able to upgrade your weapons, but the physical combat is pretty average. I also like the touch that Lara sticks automatically to walls when enemies are near, something Uncharted never had.
    Graphics are also very nice to look at across the island and you can spend more time afterwards wandering about the place when collecting items and other collectibles. And there is a ton of things to pick up, make no mistake.
    Overall, an excellent game that portrays Lara Croft's character arc very well, with great gameplay, nice environments and acting.
  53. Mar 8, 2013
    After so many bad dates with her sequels, Lara has regained my respect and affection.
    This game is just incredibly fun, i.e., the joy of exploration and discovery; acrobatic
    maneuvering; and a beautiful, detailed world. Despite some over-drawn characters, the narrative is constantly suspenseful and the pacing is exemplary. Combat is surprisingly GOOD(better than Uncharted) but too
    GOOD(better than Uncharted) but too many enemies too many times mindlessly rush in.
    Another minor concern for me is the too small window of time for some of the QTE prompts.
    Are they really needed? Lastly, one of the great strengths of Tomb Raider is that it challenges
    the mind as well as the thumbs. Personally, I'd like to see even more puzzles incorporated in
    the next game.
  54. Jun 22, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a fantastic experience. This game nails the balance between puzzles and action-packed sequences, creating all the time a new and fresh experience. The game is beautiful and the new-Lara as a character is extremely likable. I've been a fan of the series since TRII and this game got me absolutely hooked. The environments are stunning, the action sequences are really fun andTomb Raider is a fantastic experience. This game nails the balance between puzzles and action-packed sequences, creating all the time a new and fresh experience. The game is beautiful and the new-Lara as a character is extremely likable. I've been a fan of the series since TRII and this game got me absolutely hooked. The environments are stunning, the action sequences are really fun and the amount of collectables make a collector like myself truly hyped. You'll find everything in this game: awesome tombs to explore, a lot of stuff to collect, enemies to shoot and nice weapons to upgrade. Lara grows from an innocent teenager to the bad-ass we all know and it's a delight to be a part of that experience. Can't wait for the next game in the series. Expand
  55. Apr 14, 2013
    I just completed this game this week. Overall I thought the game was enjoyable and Lara was a solid lead. Definitely a game I enjoyed the first time around but don't care to 100% or play again. PROS: I enjoyed the gameplay progression and how skills were unlocked over time. I also enjoyed how Lara became more proficient over time in both survival and in battle. The action sequencesI just completed this game this week. Overall I thought the game was enjoyable and Lara was a solid lead. Definitely a game I enjoyed the first time around but don't care to 100% or play again. PROS: I enjoyed the gameplay progression and how skills were unlocked over time. I also enjoyed how Lara became more proficient over time in both survival and in battle. The action sequences were enjoyable though some of them were a bit over the top. I thought the gameplay overall was verly fluid. CONS: Some of the action sequences repeated themselves a bit too frequently i.e., how many explosions will one person jump away from in their life? How many times will one person fall down a long slide? The storyline was a bit mediocre and the supporting cast was two-dimensional. I did not feel an attachment to any of them. Because the game itself was still enjoyable, I still give this an 8 even though the plot feels tacked on. Expand
  56. Dec 15, 2014
    Tomb Raider is an excellent game that gets completely revamp the series. The game tells the first adventure of Lara Croft, the origin of the famous explorer from a terrible tragedy and their struggle to survive. A game that manages all your purposes, and does not disappoint anyone.

-------------------------- Tomb Raider es un excelente videojuego que consigue renovar por completo la

--------------------------

Tomb Raider es un excelente videojuego que consigue renovar por completo la saga. El juego nos cuenta la primera aventura de Lara Croft, el origen de la famosa exploradora desde una terrible tragedia y su lucha por sobrevivir. Un juego que logra todo sus propositos, y que no defraudara a nadie.
  57. May 12, 2013
    Did naughty dog make this game? lol cause it's exactly like uncharted with added weapon upgrade, and other other upgrades. Saying that uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games of all times so I don't mind. What can I say this game has a little bit of everything, awesome cut scenes, good gameplay, good story, mini puzzles, etc. It was fun, and finding the collectibles were also a challengeDid naughty dog make this game? lol cause it's exactly like uncharted with added weapon upgrade, and other other upgrades. Saying that uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games of all times so I don't mind. What can I say this game has a little bit of everything, awesome cut scenes, good gameplay, good story, mini puzzles, etc. It was fun, and finding the collectibles were also a challenge to find. Don't let the awful slow beginning fool you, this game keeps you on the edge of your seat from the semi start to finish. Like some reviews said it best, it's uncharted with boobs. Expand
  58. Sal
    Mar 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A brilliant return to form for the series lots of positives with few negatives.

The good,

Brilliant graphics.
    Amazingly fluid controls.
    Great combat.
    Decent story with some negatives.

The bad.
    Level design, far too linear and basically holds your hand through the game.

Story Lara kills one guy, has a 2 second breakdown and then massacres her way through the rest of the game with not a single problem leading on to...

Character development. too sporadic and schizophrenic.

Far too many quicktime events.
  59. Apr 14, 2013
    Tomb Raider is FarCry 3 Uncharted 3 blended together.
    Tomb raider has that simple awesome upgrade system. A surviving story that in my opinion beats FarCry 3 story.
    Tomb Raider had few cool puzzles in tombs to solve. In fact the whole game play is full of simple surviving puzzles. I loved the story, loved documents and relics collecting with the documentary about each one. I give this
    Tomb Raider is FarCry 3 Uncharted 3 blended together.
    I give this 9 .5 because Multiplayer isn't really as good as the game.
  60. May 30, 2013
    Entertaining and beautiful. Amazing action pieces and flow. The combat is great mix of stealth and action. Gameplay is similar to uncharted but even better(This is a big plus)! This is one of the best tomb raiders ever! Great way to begin Lara's journey.
  61. Apr 21, 2013
    Honestly, the game is excellent. Crystal Dynamics has nailed it. The atmosphere ranges from empowering, to stomach churning, to down right chilling. The visuals are top freaking notch and all the character performances are premium. Why only an 8 if I like it so much you ask?

Well, there's a couple of stupid design choices, like the crappy auto cover mechanic they use, which picks the worst times to think you want to run out into enemy fire. I mean honestly, it's clear a large chunk of the gameplay inspiration came from Uncharted, and Naughty Dog was smart enough to realize that the player should choose when to activate the cover system. Heck, Mass Effect 1 tried this and by ME2 they had gone to button controlled cover mechanics. Simple fact: The player will always know better than your context sensitive algorithm. So -1. Here's hoping if they get a Tomb Raider II (or is that II-2?) that this mechanic gets refined. My second complaint is that the movement controls can at times feel just a little too floaty. On more than one occasion I jumped down from a platform in an attempt to escape enemy fire and found myself magnetized to the edge and the moment i touched the thumb stick in my frantic haste, I'd climb back up and have my face torn off by a shotgun. So -1.

Honestly though, these little control hic-ups are far from game braking and for most people, they don't even get noted in the review. The general consensus seems to be the game is awesome. The general consensus would be very correct. I've never thought virtual bow hunting could be so fun (*cough*AC3*cough*)... and yet Crystal Dynamics has made it so. While hunting doesn't really feel necessary outside the initial tutorial, being a pseudo-open world game means that it's just fun to do it anyway sometimes. The bow is something of a God weapon up until the end, and that's OK, because it's damn satisfying to use. Headshots are fun, headshots with a bow are more fun. The puzzle sections (aka tombs, though they don't always resemble a tomb really), are generally well done, if a little simplistic. Though I can see why they are simple, so as not to disrupt the game's flow. If you're someone who wants a meatier puzzle, then they have optional tombs with some slightly more thinker puzzles.

Ignore the haters with their panties in a bunch. They're just overly nostalgic and can't accept that some aspects of modern game design are better than was found in the older Tomb Raider games...
  62. Jul 6, 2013
    Never played any other Tomb Raider. Figured the this title would be a good starting point. Was a lot like a female version of the Uncharted games. Really enjoyed the story and the survival tactics used in the game.
  63. Apr 26, 2013
    This new Tomb Raider is the best Tomb Raider that you can get it´s over 10 times better than Underworld, Legend or Anniversary.It has the perfect story and the perfect control scheme having a touch of Arkham City, Uncharted and Assassin´s Creed
  64. Jan 17, 2014
    Tomb Raider needed to grow up, and I liked what they've done with the character, although the story itself is fairly bland and generic. The pre-rendered cutscene at the games beginning is ugly as well. It's a little too "AAA"-influenced by other games, but I liked the puzzles.
  65. Jul 20, 2013
    This is a really fun 3rd person action adventure game. If you take the story with a grain of salt you will have a good time. This is the first female character in a video game that I thought was pretty hot (can't believe i'm saying that). You have to throw out all of your previous TR knowledge and passion. This is a complete reboot. I can't wait until the next one. The game is pretty shortThis is a really fun 3rd person action adventure game. If you take the story with a grain of salt you will have a good time. This is the first female character in a video game that I thought was pretty hot (can't believe i'm saying that). You have to throw out all of your previous TR knowledge and passion. This is a complete reboot. I can't wait until the next one. The game is pretty short even on hard and you don't have to raid any tombs to complete the game which is kinda weird. But overall really fun, immersive sound and a hot chick killing bad guys. Expand
  66. Jul 7, 2015
    I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting to be thrilled when I got this game. The typical Tomb Raider had lots of buttons to use on the PC. Luckily, I got this on the PS3 and using a controller made life "simpler". I was gradually getting bored with the typical lay out of the game. I was excited to play the anniversary TR as I played the original one back in the 90's, but wasn't exactlyI have to be honest, I wasn't expecting to be thrilled when I got this game. The typical Tomb Raider had lots of buttons to use on the PC. Luckily, I got this on the PS3 and using a controller made life "simpler". I was gradually getting bored with the typical lay out of the game. I was excited to play the anniversary TR as I played the original one back in the 90's, but wasn't exactly excited with the others. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate them and I still play them occasionally. THIS TR game was thrilling. I spent hours trying to get everything the game offered. I had moment of feeling like I was actually in the game. There was so much action, I was actually sweating. I love this game and I am definitely unhappy the sequel will only be on the XBOX. This game is a breathe of fresh air. The story is gritty and dark, but so good! The graphics were great. The controls were great. I do have to say the some missions were more difficult as there wasn't enough information available to know what to do. Then again. I was playing that mission at 3:30 AM.

I really didn't like the supporting characters though. It seemed like they were more in the way than anything else.

I recommend this game for TR fans that might have gotten bored, but still loved the franchise.
  67. May 29, 2013
    !0 is perfection, and this is as close as it gets. This is the brutal story of Lara Croft, and holy moses it is DIRTY. It's a beautiful action game that really gives you action. The world feels really open, yet it is linnear, but as I said, it feels huge. The best game I've played in at least 2 years.
  68. Mar 23, 2014
    Best Tomb Raider game in the serie period. While it does looks a little "Uncharted-y", it's more open world that the game it copied on. The gameplay is great too.
  69. Jun 20, 2013
    Tomb Raider reboot is pretty fantastic. The gameplay strongly resembles Uncharted, but has much more of an open world type of experience. You can fast travel similar to that in AC. The gameplay is easily the most attractive thing about this game. The story may not be as good as Uncharted and at often times dull but it's essentially pretty interesting.
  70. Apr 6, 2013
    The reviewers are right on about this great game: Crystal Dynamics did a helluva job making a fantastic story merge with addictive gameplay. What a treat in this "dry" year for games so far—I just finished Bioshock Infinite and moved on to the equally awesome but very different Tomb Raider. It IS kinda like Drake's Uncharted with Lara Croft, but the story is even better than any in theThe reviewers are right on about this great game: Crystal Dynamics did a helluva job making a fantastic story merge with addictive gameplay. What a treat in this "dry" year for games so far—I just finished Bioshock Infinite and moved on to the equally awesome but very different Tomb Raider. It IS kinda like Drake's Uncharted with Lara Croft, but the story is even better than any in the Drake's series. Much more character development here and the bow and arrow mechanics are super cool. And saying this game is like Uncharted is a huge compliment....I'll take a well-made game like this any day of the week. You can even inject some stealth into the game with silent takedowns and bow-and-arrow headshots. Hope they make a sequel! Expand
  71. Apr 2, 2014
    I agree with all the negative comments and the Fact that this is definitely Nathan Drake's twin sister, but it was fun and much more realistic than the previous TR, Ladies and Gentleman let the game-play and characters evolve. I loved using the bow.
  72. Jul 27, 2013
    It's not easy for a game to make my shelf as it's a (figuratively) small shelf. The PS3 side consists of the Assassin's Creed series, the Resident Evil series, Bisoshock trilogy, Soul Calibur and Tekken, Final Fantasy 7 and 8, and Red Dead Redemption. The PC side consists of the Mass Effect trilogy, Dragon Age Origins and II, the Dead Space trilogy, Oblivion, Skyrim, The Witcher 1 and 2,It's not easy for a game to make my shelf as it's a (figuratively) small shelf. The PS3 side consists of the Assassin's Creed series, the Resident Evil series, Bisoshock trilogy, Soul Calibur and Tekken, Final Fantasy 7 and 8, and Red Dead Redemption. The PC side consists of the Mass Effect trilogy, Dragon Age Origins and II, the Dead Space trilogy, Oblivion, Skyrim, The Witcher 1 and 2, SWKOTOR 1 and 2, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Metro 2033 and eventually Last Light.

Now because games are so expensive and most of them are a couple hours of linear junk, I tend to rent games from Gamefly to see if they make the shelf. I've played some good and bad games this way but none have even come close to the shelf. My assumption was that this game would be no different. I'm glad to have been wrong and this game will be making the PC shelf for sure (even though I rented it for PS3).

Now as a youngin I played most if not all the TR games though I don't remember liking them all that much. This game, however, I thoroughly enjoyed. The new take on Lara Croft is perfect in my opinion. The appearance change is great. She went from an over exaggerated bimbo to a classy kind of beautiful. Her personality is also very likable with the perfect mix of typical girl, explorer and badass.

The story was also top notch which is an absolute must for a game like this. The characters were well done as well and the gameplay was thoroughly enjoyable. The graphics were great for this generation of console and I can't wait for the next installment on next gen. Voice acting was also top notch.

The weapon modification was great though more personalized customization would always be nice. The skill progression worked but definitely needs to be expanded upon. The environments were varied and enjoyable both visually and gameplay-wise. I felt they did a great job of having the game be quite linear (which undoubtedly helps the story telling side) yet still have plenty of exploration involved. This was enhanced by all the cool tools, weapon upgrades and mechanics in the game. Overall there was not much I didn't like about the game.

As for things I didn't like, there were very few. My major gripe was sound effects and dialogue volume being linked in the options menu. I don't know what buffoon came up with that idea but s/he should get a stern talkin-to.

Next, and this is something I'm a bit on the fence about, were QTEs (quick-time-events). They are very fitting for a game like this and they didn't go overboard with them but they can be so immersion-breaking when you fail them (especially if you fail them multiple times). However. they are a good fit for a game like this so, I'm a bit torn.

Lastly I felt, at times, they went a bit overboard with beating on Lara. I realise it is done to get the point across that she is a survivor and a badass but I just feel they went a bit overboard at times. Really I just had an issue with one seen where some guy starts punching Lara's face in. I felt they did a great job of getting across her survivorness (so to speak) but that one scene was over the top and unnecessary in my opinion.

Overall, I think the guys and gals at Crystal did a superb job rebooting the series, I love just about everything they did and I now have another great game to add to the shelf. Fix the options menu (add more options and don't link options that should never, ever be linked), expand upon the skill progression, add more customization options and this series will be top notch for sure.

Well done all at Crystal Dynamics. 9 out of 10 and you guys have got yourself a new fan.
  73. Jun 5, 2013
    Tomb Raider follows the story of Lara Croft as her ship becomes shipwrecked due to an unforeseeable storm. Lara believes that something is strange about the island, that they did just land there by accident. Her crew members, be they betray or work with Lara are all very well made with good voice acting. Unfortunately Lara is the only character you can really feel for throughout theTomb Raider follows the story of Lara Croft as her ship becomes shipwrecked due to an unforeseeable storm. Lara believes that something is strange about the island, that they did just land there by accident. Her crew members, be they betray or work with Lara are all very well made with good voice acting. Unfortunately Lara is the only character you can really feel for throughout the campaign.
    It's called 'Tomb Raider' for a reason, but yet there are only 8 tombs to be found throughout the island. They are all well created and designed in their own manner still. In this sense it should really be called 'Lara Croft', as the story revolves around her and her surviving friends and not at all on the optional tombs.
    The gameplay to be found here is similar to that of Naughty Dog's Uncharted series, and is well implemented. Great graphics make this game stand out more than most this year.
    Unfortunately, the story is quite the let down towards the end, making you do running errands. And in my opinion is quite the drag to finish.
    There are collectables to be found, Relics, GPS Caches and Documents along with area specific challenges.
    In my opinion there is no replay value either as the only reason I went back into the campaign was to get the remaining collectables for an easy enough gold.
    The multiplayer in the ame is also similar to that of Uncharted, with four modes and multiple maps.
    A very good game, with a multiplayer which isn't that fun to play and an ending that let me down.
  74. May 2, 2013
    This game was an absolute gem. I rate it higher than Bioshock Infinite. It was SO AMAZING!
    The story, the character development, the environments were all perfect! Uncharted 2 and 3 being my favorite video games, I can easily recommend this to anyone who likes platformer/action-adventure/third person shooter.
  75. Apr 19, 2013

Story: The story of Tomb Raider serves as a reboot of the franchise. Lara Croft is a novice adventurer on her firstI have played a lot of games in my time, but oddly enough I have never played any of the Tomb Raider games. I know the reboot doesn’t share a lot in common with the past entries in the franchise but I was still curious to finally be controlling the legendary Lara Croft.

Story: The story of Tomb Raider serves as a reboot of the franchise. Lara Croft is a novice adventurer on her first expedition. She decides that the group needs to go to the Devil’s Triangle, which is like the Japanese version of the bermuda triangle. Suffice it to say things go downhill from there. Their ship ends up crashing and the team becomes stranded on the island of Yamatai. The group quickly realize that the island has a few secrets. When Lara see’s people disappearing or dead she feels a sense of responsibility to help them. this is her motivation for the events of the game.

Eventually Lara discover’s the island has some supernatural secret’s that needs to be addressed before her and what’s left of her team are able leave. The story is what you would expect from a game like this. Although I am not a fan of the supernatural in storylines of games like this it was almost a given to see it here. It has a very Indiana Jones-esque plot to it.

Gameplay: Have you played Uncharted? good, then you know how this game plays. The 3rd person shooting and climbing feel great, and the cover system makes for some intense firefights. Lara has a variety of weapons at her disposal from bows, to pistols to shotguns. The guns are upgradeable at camps found throughout the campaign. Another addition is the rope, Lara shoots it from her bow to create a path for out of reach area’s or can pull down doors to create openings for treasure. Also the rope can be used in combat, by pulling down ledges or even enemies on ledges, this was unique and one of the stand out points of the game. I felt the the upgrade system added a level of depth I enjoyed.

Hunting plays a big part in the game for campaign, by taking down animals players acquire materials needed for upgrading their arsenal. The game features a ton of collectables including relics and treasure. Crystal Dynamics made the world into small sections, in these sections players can find a map that will lead them to all the treasure if you want them all for the trophies or achievements.

Jumping into the games competitive multiplayer did not impress me, It seemed jerky and hard to get shots on targets. As I played I couldn’t help but feeling it was just tacked on as a bullet point for the back of the box. There is a level progression system and some achievements/trophies attached to it but I bet a lot of players won’t be staying long. It just wasn’t fun and there is much better competition out there in the 3rd person arena.

Graphics: The game looks great. I really felt as I played Tomb Raider that this generation has kind of plateaued. The character models look good and the environment’s are interesting but the graphics seem like more of the same with a lot of modern releases. This is not really a criticism of the game as much as feeling a little burnt out on the extended hardware cycle.

The game features some great character movement, a lot of one off animations for certain instances of the game that help make it more cinematic. Lara gets really beat up in this game and you can see the pain she is in when she holds her side or is limping along. The game does a great job visually of telling the dark story through the characters and environments.

Overall: I enjoyed Tomb Raider a lot. The game was certainly trying to capitalize on the success of the Uncharted series, which isn’t a bad thing because they did it well. The shooting feels tight and the climbing and environments are great, I couldn’t help but feel the game was a little short though. Where is seperates itself from Uncharted was the tone of the story and characters, this was much darker and it had some added gameplay elements such as the hunting and weapon upgrades. I feel even the story borrowed from Uncharted once the supernatural element came into play, and overall both Uncharted 2 and 3 are better games.

If you want a fun 7-9 hour game that is very cinematic while retaining fun gunplay and smooth animations check out Tomb Raider.

8.5/10 Expand

76. Jun 26, 2014
    This is the by far the best Uncharted game yet. My only real gripe is there is not enough tombs/puzzles. I feared it would end up being a **** interactive movie like the first 3 Uncharted games, but ended up besting all of them in almost every department. Okay, you got me- I never played the first one. After playing the 2nd and 3rd I know I never will. Yes, I do know this really isn'tThis is the by far the best Uncharted game yet. My only real gripe is there is not enough tombs/puzzles. I feared it would end up being a **** interactive movie like the first 3 Uncharted games, but ended up besting all of them in almost every department. Okay, you got me- I never played the first one. After playing the 2nd and 3rd I know I never will. Yes, I do know this really isn't an Uncharted game. Thank Christ for that. Expand
  77. Dec 7, 2013
    Tomb Raider is the reboot of the popular series dating back to the PS1 days. This reboot tells the story of how Lara Croft became the tomb raider she has been known for. The story has some balance issues, it tries to be cinematic like a movie and also tries to tell a dark, realistic tale. Besides Lara, the other characters lack development and interest. The game play balances well on theTomb Raider is the reboot of the popular series dating back to the PS1 days. This reboot tells the story of how Lara Croft became the tomb raider she has been known for. The story has some balance issues, it tries to be cinematic like a movie and also tries to tell a dark, realistic tale. Besides Lara, the other characters lack development and interest. The game play balances well on the other hand, being cinematic and also "sort-of" open world. It also has a metroid/castlevania feel as certain sections are blocked off because you do not have the necessary equipment to get passed it. The multiplayer is bad, tacked on, and completely unnecessary. Only having 4 game modes and none of them are unique or fun in any way. I did not enjoy the story or care for the characters, but the game play is really fun, even though the multiplayer should have not even come with the game. Expand
  78. Mar 31, 2013
    I love this game a lot. I'm happy Laura is getting the respect she deserves. She is more than a sex symbol now! She is a human trying to survive. I'm 100% positive that all the bad reviews are forever alones pissed because Laura doesn't have big breast, and they are probably the same people who will give a game like Call of Duty Black Ops 2 a 10/10 rating. Even though call of duty hasI love this game a lot. I'm happy Laura is getting the respect she deserves. She is more than a sex symbol now! She is a human trying to survive. I'm 100% positive that all the bad reviews are forever alones pissed because Laura doesn't have big breast, and they are probably the same people who will give a game like Call of Duty Black Ops 2 a 10/10 rating. Even though call of duty has become so repetitive its boring. At least with this game your getting some excitement. Its hard for me to put the controller down. If your tired of the same old call of duty taking your money for the same thing over and over again, and you want a game that is actually exciting. I would say you must defiantly get a copy of this game. you wont be disappointed. Expand
  79. Jun 19, 2013
    This is a gritty, intense and very well made game which demonstrates that yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks. I have to admit to being skeptical about the merits of this title given that it is a prequel of sorts. Why I write 'of sorts' is because the "young" Lara Croft of this game bares little resemblance to the buxom, globe trotting heroin of previous games. First, the controls:This is a gritty, intense and very well made game which demonstrates that yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks. I have to admit to being skeptical about the merits of this title given that it is a prequel of sorts. Why I write 'of sorts' is because the "young" Lara Croft of this game bares little resemblance to the buxom, globe trotting heroin of previous games. First, the controls: very tight. Tomb Raider shares a lot of DNA with Uncharted which is ironic given that Uncharted was originally called "dude raider" but as that game was not a clone of Tomb Raider neither is this game a clone of Uncharted (still with me?). The way Lara handles parkour and some of the set pieces share a striking resemblance to Uncharted. This being said this game stands on its own and provides some of the best if not the best use of body language in any video game that I've seen. Early on Lara survives a sudden crash and washes ashore injured, cold and disoriented. As she makes her way to lighting a life-saving fire you as the player would be cold hearted not to feel for her. Everything Lara experiences is portrayed realistically and while there are some points where some of her adversity no longer seems evident the character never becomes ridiculously outsized (the way she was in other titles). She's obviously young and physically and mentally vulnerable- much of this game unfolds in seeing her gradually evolve into becoming more fearless and its a journey well worth taking. The graphics are excellent- everything you see is well detailed and realistic and this is especially true with Lara. Crystal Dynamics really took a chance here by creating this prequel; even though Tomb Raider had previously been easily bested by Uncharted a poorly made prequel could mean the end of one of the most enduring characters in gaming. Instead they hit the ball out of the park- this game clearly has a seat at the table and an argument to make with Uncharted in terms of which game is the best. Accomplishing such in terms of storytelling and immersion is a feat in and of itself- Lara is vulnerable but she isn't pandering to the player. You will unless you're completely jaded go through this journey and find yourself pulling for her from the opening moments; it's that well done. Other excellent features include the skills progression- there is a certain amount of customization with the various skills but ultimately future titles should expand these further. The weapons also are capable of progression and customization- the game encourages you to experience it fully by rewarding you with deadly and efficient skills and weapon parts.

Tomb Raider needed an injection of fresh air; Crystal Dynamics had previously done a good job of resurrecting the series but the original version of Lara Croft had gone as far as she could go. This game is a prequel of sorts but I have a feeling the entire franchise has been rebooted; future games will have little to do with the previous 15+ years and that is a good thing. Consider this game not a prequel but a reboot and its a homerun. Where the series goes from this point is going to be fresh and exciting and as someone who really didn't care for the previous incarnation of Lara Croft I look forward to seeing where this new and improved Tomb Raider series goes from here.
  80. Apr 14, 2013
    I enjoyed playing through the new Tomb Raider but a lot like most games that are coming out today, it doesn't warrant a replay. Now if my BioShock: Infinite review says anything, it's that story means a lot to me and there really was no story here, at least not an interesting one. And although I wanted to see Laura succeed, I didn't really care about any of the others that were along forI enjoyed playing through the new Tomb Raider but a lot like most games that are coming out today, it doesn't warrant a replay. Now if my BioShock: Infinite review says anything, it's that story means a lot to me and there really was no story here, at least not an interesting one. And although I wanted to see Laura succeed, I didn't really care about any of the others that were along for the journey. In terms of game play, it's much like any other 3rd person shooter, there's nothing new or challenging thrown your way. The weapons you get and customize are your expected weapons and it's meh. With that being said, it is a fun play through but it doesn't feel like Tomb Raider. There are tombs that you find and get some loot out of it but they're so easy to find. On top of that, they're so easy to complete. I expected something difficult from the olden days but I guess now that's really asking a lot. The boss battle (if you could call it that) was extremely disappointing. If memory serves it was another QTE that was easily beaten (clearly not a memorable experience). Lastly on the negatives, I am all for collectibles like with the audio logs in BioShock, etc. This game goes the same route but under delivers in the fact that I just had no interest in finding them and got nothing out of them when I did. They tried to advance the story but the story was never very strong and it ended up falling off. Additionally without finding the little collectible things I was able to fully upgrade my weapons and skills quickly. Why collect stuff when my character is already godly? What they did get right was Lara's character. Much like Elizabeth from BioShock, I really cared for her and wanted to make sure she would get through this treacherous island alive. The developers certainly didn't turn down the brutal deaths you could experience and I really tried my best to avoid seeing Lara impaled or crushed. Overall, for me, this came to be like GOW: Ascension. I really do not think it was worth the full price but it did intrigue me to keep an eye on Lara's future adventures. Expand
  81. Jun 3, 2013
    My first TR. Graphics (that sunset is amazing) and gameplay are great, but I expected so much more from the plot. In Far Cry 3 or Red Dead Redemption I felt inside the game, the depth of scenarios and characters made me enjoy every minute of playing, even days after I finished them I kept thinking about the cool stories. Here Lara is the only one who doesn't look superficial and I sawMy first TR. Graphics (that sunset is amazing) and gameplay are great, but I expected so much more from the plot. In Far Cry 3 or Red Dead Redemption I felt inside the game, the depth of scenarios and characters made me enjoy every minute of playing, even days after I finished them I kept thinking about the cool stories. Here Lara is the only one who doesn't look superficial and I saw almost nothing of the Yamatai. It's great to play, and I don`t know the other Tomb Raiders, but I expected more. Expand
  82. Jun 27, 2013
    This is the first Tomb Raider game that I've ever played because Lara Croft's character just always seemed too cartoonish for me. This reboot, though, is really amazing. Croft's character is one that you instantly care about and the gameplay is exciting and polished. Also, this game actually makes using a bow fun, unlike other's who have attempted to incorporate the weapon.
  83. Jun 18, 2013
    I can not say enough about this game. While it is simplistic, it is simply AMAZING, and feels like a fully interactive hollywood movie, complete with WILD special effects, intrigue and drama, and some views/landscapes that make you wish you were there. Until a native clunks you in the head with an axe!

This game really earned the "Tomb Raider" moniker, and lives up the the great

This game really earned the "Tomb Raider" moniker, and lives up the the great expectations that come with being part of a classic succesful, some would say historical series.

It sort of felt like if Heavy Rain was more of an action game...Really really fun game, altho very simply and easy to play, this is the type of game that anyone can play, and have a great great time with.

Basically everything from the gameplay, to the graphics, to the actors and audio was 10/10, but this game only gets 9/10 because it felt rather short to me! However there is a lot to collect after the story is over so I decided to give this 9/10 still which means BUY IT PLAY IT :D
  84. Mar 27, 2013
    Looks great, and is basically sound from a technical point of view, but if you have played any of the Uncharted games you will experience major déjà vu. All of the survival elements that were talked up in the pre-release hype have been removed, leaving us with a linear, nice looking shooter. The puzzles are extremely basic, the combat is clunky at times and there is very little replayLooks great, and is basically sound from a technical point of view, but if you have played any of the Uncharted games you will experience major déjà vu. All of the survival elements that were talked up in the pre-release hype have been removed, leaving us with a linear, nice looking shooter. The puzzles are extremely basic, the combat is clunky at times and there is very little replay value. Fun, but not as amazing as everyone is claiming. Expand
  85. Mar 22, 2013
    Tomb Raider doesn't take any risks, and the story failed to draw me in, but the varied gameplay that mixes exploring, puzzle solving, and action was enough to keep me hooked. Worth a rental, at the very least.
  86. Jun 24, 2013
    This game was great.It had a good story and amazing action. The game had me playing and didnt want me to stop.It was also a great restart,in my opinion, for the Tomb Raider franchise.I feel that this game should be played by anyone who is a fan of Tomb Raider,or if you just love games.Though my biggest complaint would have to be the half-assed multiplayer.It feels tacked on and tacky.AlsoThis game was great.It had a good story and amazing action. The game had me playing and didnt want me to stop.It was also a great restart,in my opinion, for the Tomb Raider franchise.I feel that this game should be played by anyone who is a fan of Tomb Raider,or if you just love games.Though my biggest complaint would have to be the half-assed multiplayer.It feels tacked on and tacky.Also i felt as if there was no replay value.Other than those problems this game is a GOTY contender in my book. Expand
  87. Mar 22, 2013
    One of the best action games of all time. The story is on an epic level, and using the bow and arrow with such ease makes you feel like more of a badass then any gun could do. The level of exploration and collectibles will keep you coming back to the singleplayer, and the multiplayer although not revolutionary is a fun little distraction. Play this game!
  88. Mar 23, 2013
    Overall a great game. As pointed out by a previous reviewer it is a little heavy on the women empowerment subscript (no female enemies esp). It makes up for that in truly amazing and heart pounding moments.
  89. Mar 24, 2013
    This game was a let down for me but it still was fun. In tomb raider i could not care less about any other character except lara the game play got repetitive and there are way to many quick time events that i wish did not exist in the first place but besides that Tomb Raider is a solid game with fun puzzles platforming mediocre shooting and amazing story and voice acting
  90. May 5, 2013
    yes lara croft is back finaly and she is very hot you begon the game awesom and you end it the game has 3 things climming shooting and puzzeling and its all in there like i wound it so why dont i give it a 10 becouse its just another game that is so short you can do so many things but the story is like 14 hours poeple say that is pretty long no but you can explor so much you can be bussyyes lara croft is back finaly and she is very hot you begon the game awesom and you end it the game has 3 things climming shooting and puzzeling and its all in there like i wound it so why dont i give it a 10 becouse its just another game that is so short you can do so many things but the story is like 14 hours poeple say that is pretty long no but you can explor so much you can be bussy like 25 hours so okay thats good further its not like uncharted like every buddy says just a litle but uncharted is to like tomb raider ride than you got the mp that fun for some hours its not that good its fun for like 4-5 hours than its don fore the mp but its all obout the single player in this game right Expand
  91. Mar 27, 2013
    I really enjoyed playing this game. It had a strong plot and the gameplay was easy to learn and undertand. There are a few things that would've made this game even better for me. First of all I felt like the backstory up to the point of playing was nonexistant and the cutscene was very brief in the beginning. It would've been better if that had been drawn out a little more. Also if theI really enjoyed playing this game. It had a strong plot and the gameplay was easy to learn and undertand. There are a few things that would've made this game even better for me. First of all I felt like the backstory up to the point of playing was nonexistant and the cutscene was very brief in the beginning. It would've been better if that had been drawn out a little more. Also if the cutscene had incorporated playing into it. For example have the player escape the ship, let the player make the jump. I felt like it transpired way too fast. It was like: you're on a boat, the boat's going down... now play! Also, I felt like it had a bunch of unnecessary language in it. F bomb after F bomb with no way to track it. I would recommend putting a filter on the game so the player can choose to hear it or not, or at least limit it to the cutscenes where it can be skipped. Aside from that it was a good game and I'm excited to see what will be next. Expand
  92. Mar 31, 2013
    As a fan of games like Uncharted, as compared by a lot of reviews; however this game does some things better than uncharted but also lacks some things as well in these adventure games. There are reviews that criticizes the game because it doesn't seem open enough or there isn't enough to explore in the game as implied, seeing as other adventure titles similar does this pretty well withAs a fan of games like Uncharted, as compared by a lot of reviews; however this game does some things better than uncharted but also lacks some things as well in these adventure games. There are reviews that criticizes the game because it doesn't seem open enough or there isn't enough to explore in the game as implied, seeing as other adventure titles similar does this pretty well with interesting relics and tombs with puzzles to solve. This game however almost seems a bit too easy with it's puzzles as well as its exploration of interesting tombs, therefore this is a reasonable criticism. However that being said, what does the game do well? Pretty much everything else.
    The gameplay is a lot more solid than previous Tomb Raider games, with a combat system better than that of even Uncharted in some aspects. The game game feels more realistic than past Tomb Raider games, with a cover and dodge system that works with a solid weapons which makes the game feel more dynamic and just more fun to play! The quick time events implemented did seem to be a bit too much, however i don't think it took away from the experience or the fun of the game as they are integrated with the combat and cut scenes almost flawlessly. The gameplay overall has been improved in pretty much every aspect making it a joy to play, with a story to match. This game is pretty much a reboot of Tomb Raider, they remade Lara Croft into a more believable and likable character. From a normal lady, into a hardened survivor through the events of the game; showing her vulnerable side as well as her growing determination to survive. The story and locations in the game are fantastic, I couldn't stop playing as i wanted to see more of what the game had in store for me.
    Overall this game is a blast, the multiplayer is halfassed however, but i take it as a bonus really. Like Battlefield 3, the single player which was lacking, however is still a fantastic game because of its multiplayer; this game does the same, however with its single player being the main meat of the game.

This is a must buy title, i cannot wait to see what this rebooted and reemerging franchise has to offer in the future.
  93. Mar 31, 2013
    Well I got this game and fell in love with it straight away I'm uncharted crazy so if you love uncharted you will love this it's very similar, well the story was good I really had a feel for Lara in particular I had sympathy for Lara every time she got hurt haha I love the voice acting the graphics are very good there's a few small glitches but nothing major that's why I've given it a 9Well I got this game and fell in love with it straight away I'm uncharted crazy so if you love uncharted you will love this it's very similar, well the story was good I really had a feel for Lara in particular I had sympathy for Lara every time she got hurt haha I love the voice acting the graphics are very good there's a few small glitches but nothing major that's why I've given it a 9 otherwise it would be 10 all day the online isn't that great either but it's not bad. The gameplay is great I had fun unlocking all the weapons and buying all the attachments for the guns and going around finding all the relics and documents took me a few days to complete it all so this game will take sometime to complete 100% I highly recommend this game it's my favourite game this year so far Expand
  94. Mar 31, 2013
    This game was fun and entertaining. Now this is my first time really playing through a TR game so my review won't be fully accurate. But here we go. Positives: The storyline was amazing. I am left speechless and wanting more. The combat is fun and entertaining. At times a little easy but still good. The extra items are fun and worth finding. The leveling system felt very well done, butThis game was fun and entertaining. Now this is my first time really playing through a TR game so my review won't be fully accurate. But here we go. Positives: The storyline was amazing. I am left speechless and wanting more. The combat is fun and entertaining. At times a little easy but still good. The extra items are fun and worth finding. The leveling system felt very well done, but needed a little bit more. The graphics looked amazing and that hair design was just plain fantastic. A good 9-14 hour game. Negatives: The mulitplayer is dull and boring. The game throws you too often into combat and not giving you the chance to hide. The end game feels a little bit lacking like something is missing. The world feels narrow at times and a little bit too scripted. Expand
  95. Apr 1, 2013
    I was a bit sceptical heading into this game as the last couple of games haven't been that great but I always hold out hope as the first 3 games on the PS1 are some of my all time favourites. Thankfully this is a spectacular return to form for the series. It borrows heavily from certain games in this generation such as most obviously Uncharted but also stealth based games such as AssassinsI was a bit sceptical heading into this game as the last couple of games haven't been that great but I always hold out hope as the first 3 games on the PS1 are some of my all time favourites. Thankfully this is a spectacular return to form for the series. It borrows heavily from certain games in this generation such as most obviously Uncharted but also stealth based games such as Assassins Creed. This isn't a bad thing as it has added a new dimension to the game and it is implemented very well here.

Lara's character is developed quite well, if a bit rushed. The game has a great atmosphere about it and you really feel concerned for Lara due to the constant storms happening. She really does seem to be struggling to survive.

The one criticism I would have is it is very linear. I would have liked to have had bigger areas to explore with multiple pathways. A lot of areas do have two or three ways to progress but they are very close together and don't require much exploration to find.

This game is a massive step in the right direction and I am now eagerly awaiting the follow up. Well done.

TL:DR great return to form. Good action, great story telling and character development. Excellent graphics and atmosphere.
  96. May 28, 2013
    TOMB RAIDER sets the basics for a very nice reboot of the franchise.
    TOMB RAIDER sets the basics for a very nice reboot of the franchise.
    It probably would not appeal very much to all the die-hard fans of the original games, specially when this current gameplay is compared to the one of the original Tomb Raider I, II and III (the third one being my favorite): Traps almost non existing, way less wolves and any other wild animal to fight, and quite simple puzzles. So, if you were a massive fan of this aspects of the old Tomb Raider, probably this is not the game for you. BUT the stunning complexity of the environment, the great gun fights that this game has really make it up for it! A really compelling story, a new "real" 20-year-old Lara, a good Voice acting make this new start as a great starting point for what could be a real threat to the Uncharted franchise.
  97. Apr 12, 2013
    This is not your traditional Tomb Raider. Puzzles are scarce and too easy to figure out. However, the game play and graphics are amazing. Great stealth and combat mechanics, and the island is beautiful and fun to explore. Don't listen to the whiners complaining about it not being a "Tomb Raider" game. Most of these people don't want to see games improve or evolve. They think the old isThis is not your traditional Tomb Raider. Puzzles are scarce and too easy to figure out. However, the game play and graphics are amazing. Great stealth and combat mechanics, and the island is beautiful and fun to explore. Don't listen to the whiners complaining about it not being a "Tomb Raider" game. Most of these people don't want to see games improve or evolve. They think the old is automatically better than the new. I am fan of the old school Tomb Raider games, but I love this new approach and game play as well. I would have given the game a 10, but they don't do a good job a repopulating the island with enemies after you cleared it thereby hurting its replay value. Expand
  98. Apr 5, 2013
    This game is my 2nd favorite game of 2013. the only reason it is in 2nd is because of the multiplayer, but let's not talk about one of it's failures, let's talk about all it's successes. A reboot can be one of two things, it can ruin everything new and creative, or it can be a welcome addition to a series that was dying. This one was the welcome addition. With Uncharted-like platforming, aThis game is my 2nd favorite game of 2013. the only reason it is in 2nd is because of the multiplayer, but let's not talk about one of it's failures, let's talk about all it's successes. A reboot can be one of two things, it can ruin everything new and creative, or it can be a welcome addition to a series that was dying. This one was the welcome addition. With Uncharted-like platforming, a stellar story, fantastic combat, great stealth sections, and a robust world where you will just want to explore every nook and cranny, it is hard to see where Tomb Raider falls flat. But, it does have one minor flaw, the supporting cast. These guys are just boring, except for maybe Roth. But the rest of this origin story, you feel like Lara Croft. To when an airplane crashes and you have to get away from it, to falling out of a and parachuting through a thick array of trees, this is one origin story you won't want to miss! Lara Croft is an especially great character to play because I have never felt this much caring for a character in gaming since master chief! As for the story, it's nothing we haven't seen before, but it is used differently than the actual times we have seen it. The combat and stealth sections are fast-paced, and the AI isn't just going to let you stay in cover and poke your head out and shoot them. They throw Molotov shoot fire arrows to draw you out of cover and finish you off. They will also make their own cover with tables and other objects. This sounds like it makes for very difficult combat, but for the guns you have, and the specialty arrows at your disposal, they are no match. The stealth section come with this wonderful passive cover system where, when appropriate, Lara will duck in cover to hide from enemies. So if you want a great origin story with one of the most iconic video-game characters ever, this is your game. Expand
  99. Apr 7, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game. Finished the campaign in one stretch, couldn't stop playing. Get playing, starts of a bit slow, then gains pace, and the features in the game are amazing.
  100. Apr 8, 2013
    This game in every respect out-does Uncharted and is the best platformer I have played to date! Large set pieces and tight controls make for one of the best feeling and looking platforming to date and the third person shooting (archery) is in no way neglected, all weapons handle well and feel good. But by far the best part of the game is the beautifully done pacing. Gradually improvingThis game in every respect out-does Uncharted and is the best platformer I have played to date! Large set pieces and tight controls make for one of the best feeling and looking platforming to date and the third person shooting (archery) is in no way neglected, all weapons handle well and feel good. But by far the best part of the game is the beautifully done pacing. Gradually improving your weapon and gear, building upon your arsenal feels brilliant.

The Character of Lara Croft is one done extremely well. From the look of the character (thankfully absent of triangular breasts) to the story and development of Lara is compelling and fun.

However the game has some flaws. Besides Lara characters were boring and annoying the large amounts of time Lara was alone were treasured because of this. There were also a maddeningly small amount of "Secret Tombs".

But this should all be looked past when considering the standard this game is on. It should be held among the likes of Uncharted as one of the best platformers.

1. Apr 11, 2013
    This reboot of the series not only surpassed my expectations, but it is easily one of the best games I have played in a long time. If you're like me and love story driven games that offer a great gaming experience then Tomb Raider is definitely for you.
  2. There’s no denying Tomb Raider is a heavily influenced work, both mechanically and aesthetically (its nods to Neil Marshall’s The Descent are so happy to be there at one point Lara even re-enacts the “girlrising-out-of-sea-of-blood” scene). While it offers nothing wholly original, its salvaged parts combine to produce an experience that is consistently better than anything its own heroes have produced. [April 2013, p70]
  3. Mar 28, 2013
    Despite occasional dissonance between narrative and game mechanics, Tomb Raider is a highly polished, highly accomplished reboot. Kudos, Crystal Dynamics. [Issue#235]