Tomb Raider PlayStation 3

8.4

1. Mar 6, 2013
    I enjoyed this game immensely. I am a long time Tomb Raider fan and I thought this game was a well needed breath of fresh air. I think Lara has earned back her treasure hunting crown from Nathan Drake (not bashing uncharted, love those games too) as there is plenty to see and explore in Tomb Raider, even after the story ends.
  2. Aug 27, 2013
    as a woman i am appalled that they keep using hot chicks in video games. just kidding! yep she's still hot, the gameplay is still outstanding. the graphics for this title are gorgeous and the plot is actually the best in the entire series. very emotional, not just a suspense-drivel plot. (there is also suspense of course.)
  3. Jun 13, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game and had a great time with it. It probably deserves a 9 but for me I finished it in 3 sessions and that is just too short. Playing this reminded me of when PS2 came out with God of War, this game has that same excitement and action the entire way through. The only exception to this was the start of the game I found it too easy and too much looking around for stuffI really enjoyed this game and had a great time with it. It probably deserves a 9 but for me I finished it in 3 sessions and that is just too short. Playing this reminded me of when PS2 came out with God of War, this game has that same excitement and action the entire way through. The only exception to this was the start of the game I found it too easy and too much looking around for stuff on the map. Thankfully the more you played the game the better the action became and also the story. This is a very clean game with no glitches and bugs and I would like to thank the software developers for releasing a game with no errors of any sorts. I did have a few cosmetic glitches but they were really minor. The upgrade paths to the weapons were fun but really they paced the game as to how to play the game. I both liked this and didnt. On one hand it made the game quite easy but on the other dampened the consequences of what you picked. All in all though the game was fantastic in terms of action so I can't really complain there too. My only complaint about the game really was I don't like to play games who rely on a dark setting to make the game difficult. I do understand this is an exploration game but the game relied on so many other games, all of which I enjoyed but I found the night time/creepy dark atmosphere in some scenes to just be annoying and give me a headache playing in the dark. I could have adjusted visual settings but it still ruins the set atmosphere. Overall I would recommend this game to everyone, it was finishable very easily but also very fun, non stop action pretty much all the way through. This game is well worth your time, it may be quite cut and paste/copycat but overall the entertainment value is definately worth the pricetag. Expand
  4. Jan 23, 2014
    Even though there are several gameplay issues, the one that grabs my attention more than any other would have to be the fact that Laura can't climb (jump) every available surface, She can use her tool to climb the walls and rocks but nothing for climbing over 5 foot fences or 4 foot desks. But other than a cliched beginning, it proved to get way better as you play the game. Once the gameEven though there are several gameplay issues, the one that grabs my attention more than any other would have to be the fact that Laura can't climb (jump) every available surface, She can use her tool to climb the walls and rocks but nothing for climbing over 5 foot fences or 4 foot desks. But other than a cliched beginning, it proved to get way better as you play the game. Once the game starts up, then it gets just unbelievable. There are several scenes that could be considered cliche, but the way that the developers designed certain levels and the graphics, along with the outstanding voice work, it becomes a great game. Just absolutely marvelous. At times, the game feels like an obvious GOTY nominee but it also has its faults. It's a really great game but it's just muffled by some weak areas. The story, I though could not have been better. It's just enthralling and picks up the pace beautifully. Also the graphics were some of the best that I've ever seen at the time, Now acknowledging that there are next gen systems that will play this game, I can say that it will probably be beautiful on PS4 and Xbox One. The game is great on PS3. but can't wait for the PS4 edition!! It's a near perfect game. Expand
  5. Jul 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i was never huge fan of the tomb raider franchise, but after reading so many reviews of the game and hearing all the critical acclaim about it, i had to check it out. needless to say, i wasnt at all disappointed. though i am not too familiar with prior work crystal dynamics has done before, this game stands out in the puzzle/action genre that i hope future games of its kind will model itself after. the graphics and visual aspects of the game, the sound design and replay value of the game is awesome.

over the course of roughly 2 weeks since i first recieved the game, i beat the game in about 3 or 4 days, with a final completion score of 82%. i would play the game for a couple of hours at a time, and always looked forward to coming back to it. the game is in fact an origin story. that is, provides an interesting idea of how lara croft did became the strong survivalist character we identify with her as a being pop culture icon we know her as today. The game is developed by Crystal Dynamics. to my knowledge, they havent done anything previously that has really stood out to me in the gaming industry (though if anyone wishes to suggest a game of theirs i should check out, please do). they have done a truly great job with the game. the overall visual design of the game is absolutely beautiful and the play mechanics of controlling Lara are smooth, clean and precise.. the sound design captures the immersive environment incredibly well varying from a thick jungle to a sprawling mountain town with accompanying various changes of realistic weather as you progress through the game. the combat, which drives about 75% of the gameplay, borrows subtle incredients from the recent Resident Evil games we've seen in recent years and is fluid, engaging and thanks to the rich various different environments, i never found dull.

if you appreciate the more technical aspects of current gen games, the game has a lot of great visual effects that add to the overall experience which one would really appreciate, not to also mention things like realistic destructible cover during the intense shoot out scenes and its environments, ragdoll physics mechanics with the bodies of enemies as they hurl through the air during explosions and the like. overall, these elements done so amazingly well help to drive a fun game play experience.

the game has a compelling storyline with a few subtle plot twists, and it is easy to identify with lara as a protagonist. this game is rated 'M' for mature and for good reason. Lara gets bloodied, beaten up and in an extreme capacity that would make even the most hardened gamer or even horror movie fan of gore cringe occasionally. the game is of course an adventure/shooter game with lots of shoot-out set pieces. it offers lots of use of weapons for lara to find and learn to use anything from a pick axe,a pistols, machine guns and even (my favourite) the awesome bow and arrow. this game offers a warm welcome to such a primitive weapon. it's fun to use and being able to pull off headshots is just incredibly satisfying.

one thing i of course must mention is the puzzle solving aspect to the game. the puzzles arent as heavily placed in prior games. in fact, they are entirely optional to pursue. you can get by without engaging in any of them which are found in tombs placed all throughout the game, but ignoring them completely even on a second playthrough would be discouraged. the rewards from solving these puzzles rewards Lara very generously with bonus XP and that is always a great thing! on a personal note though, i felt that they often slowed down the pace of the game and as i came across these tombs, i really debated with myself if i really wanted to do them at all.

as said earlier, the story line is engaging and rarely has a dull moment. the action never lets up, and is a great game that offers the player tons of replay value to return back to previous locales to look for any outstanding secret areas. i cant see this as game that too many people will be returning, trading or selling for something else in the long term. i recommend this to anyone who likes the puzzle/adventure games but also enjoys the intense action of 3rd person shooter. This Tomb Raider game has in some ways set the bar for future games of its kind to model after.

i would happily rate this as one of the top 10 games for 2013.
  6. Mar 31, 2013
    ths game was really amazing! Close to uncharted but definitely not as good as! it lacked a little mystery and the voice over for Lara was sometimes annoying. Besides those problems it was a beautiful experience! macnificent visuals!Thank you Crystal dynamics and square enix!
  7. Mar 5, 2013
    Anything less than a 9 is pure hate. This game is incredible and took me by surprise. It's actually nothing like any of the other TRs. Although this game steals elements from other games which is pretty obvious, it's still in a class of its own. Definitely worth buying.
  8. May 5, 2014
    The reboot combines elements of the old franchise, Uncharted and even Farcry to make an epic game. The graphics are lush and the puzzles are just hard enough to keep you trying again and again. Combat is frustrating at times but is more accessible than the Uncharted combat. The multiplayer is poor but this game is not about MP. I was lucky enough to get this 'free' with plus. AwesomeThe reboot combines elements of the old franchise, Uncharted and even Farcry to make an epic game. The graphics are lush and the puzzles are just hard enough to keep you trying again and again. Combat is frustrating at times but is more accessible than the Uncharted combat. The multiplayer is poor but this game is not about MP. I was lucky enough to get this 'free' with plus. Awesome stuff. The only downside is having to wait for the sequel. Expand
  9. Mar 12, 2013
    [Disclaimer: I haven't played the entire game so my review is partly based on actual gameplay and the rest is what I've already read.] Wow. The visuals so far are amazing. It does exceed Uncharted that way, also in the openness of the levels and the natural feel to the platforming and combat. I can tell I'm going to be playing this for a while. I haven't played MP at all, I also don't[Disclaimer: I haven't played the entire game so my review is partly based on actual gameplay and the rest is what I've already read.] Wow. The visuals so far are amazing. It does exceed Uncharted that way, also in the openness of the levels and the natural feel to the platforming and combat. I can tell I'm going to be playing this for a while. I haven't played MP at all, I also don't like that there are MP Trophies required for platinum. If it wasn't for that I'm sure I would Platinum this to explore every nook on the island. The leveling up of the character makes sense, I've read it seems like your a bit powerful at the end. This is a must play for 2013. Might be in the top 3-5 to finish this console cycle. Expand
  10. Apr 7, 2013
    MUCH MORE BETTER THAN ALL UNCHARTED TITLE xd
    so...i think pc version is all better than console version, but this Tomb raider is an a graphical adventure finally we can see gory scenes and violent, something completely neglected in the past. in my opinion a great game, but to just buy used. not worth 70 for 11 hours of adventure
  11. May 30, 2013
    Great from the moment it starts and stays great forever. A little bit of trial and error was annoying, but it doesn't happen too often. The graphics and presentation are some of the best. Like uncharted with a bit more of an open world and a darker tone. Some truly original abilities too, that are intuitive and easy to use. Like using the bow and arrow to create zip-lines. Just one ofGreat from the moment it starts and stays great forever. A little bit of trial and error was annoying, but it doesn't happen too often. The graphics and presentation are some of the best. Like uncharted with a bit more of an open world and a darker tone. Some truly original abilities too, that are intuitive and easy to use. Like using the bow and arrow to create zip-lines. Just one of those near perfect games. Expand
  12. Apr 14, 2014
    I've never played the original games, and I honestly not sure if I would have ever gotten around to playing this one if it weren't for PS Plus. It's just not a series I have taken any previous interest in. Well all that changes with this latest entry. It's single-player makes for one of the best action experiences you'll find in gaming, and it's just an all around blast.

The game looks

The game looks fantastic, and the voice acting and soundtrack are top-notch. The story is mostly well-done, and the characters emotions are believable, even if they aren't these aren't the smartest survivors out there. Even main character Lara Croft fails to recognize the obvious twists in the story until hours after they have been revealed. This is all forgivable when you're actually playing the game, taking in it's fantastic setting and atmosphere, and experiencing it's many awesome set-pieces.

Gameplay here is excellent. It clearly borrows from the Uncharted series, and rivals that series in many ways with it's excellent gunplay and platforming. Environments are filled with collectibles and other items to scavenge that you can use to upgrade your weapons. There are plenty of reasons to pull yourself away from the main quest for a little bit. Even doing things like hunting animals can gain you valuable XP that you can use to upgrade Lara's survival skills. With all the fun stuff that is going on, the story mode can be hard to put down. Sadly the same can't be said for the game's multiplayer, which is a truly buggy and unpolished experience.

With characters that glitch around the map, rough graphics, and severe balancing issues, this is the epitome of a good game with bad multiplayer. It feels unfinished and rushed, and conflicts are largely one-sided affairs where one side completely destroys another with no apparent reasoning. I had matches where my bullets would take out my opponents in a few hits, only to experience another match where it felt like I was shooting my opponents BB gun pellets. The multiplayer feels broken, and it in no way matches the extreme level of excellence that the campaign achieves. I was done with it after only a few matches, and I would have given the game a better score had multiplayer not been included at all.

Overall the majority of this game is incredibly impressive. From a technical standpoint it's gorgeous and plays perfectly. It's story mode is tight and a heck of a lot of fun. As long as you avoid the multiplayer you will have a blast with the game. This is one 3rd person action game with a story-mode that rivals even the work of the mighty Naughty Dog. Truly this is one you do not want to miss. I give it an 8.5/10-Great.
  13. Aug 16, 2013
    To set the context, I had just finished playing The Last of U (good), and before that Metro: Last Light (really good). I was looking for something to move onto and was worried it would be hard to find something that lived up to the experience of these two games... I was very much pleased with the Tomb Raider. I think the developers did an awesome job with the game, the environments wereTo set the context, I had just finished playing The Last of U (good), and before that Metro: Last Light (really good). I was looking for something to move onto and was worried it would be hard to find something that lived up to the experience of these two games... I was very much pleased with the Tomb Raider. I think the developers did an awesome job with the game, the environments were great, voice acting top notch, and the game play had a lot of the traditional Tomb Raider without being overly difficult or cumbersome... I enjoyed the whole game, BUT, OMG, The MP IS ABOUT THEN MOST HORRIBLE THING I have ever seen on this generation console... WHY DID THEY BOTHER? I played it once and almost barfed at the stark contrast. Play it for the single player experience and move onto something else. for me, I am going back and catching up with the Dishonored DLC. Expand
  14. Mar 5, 2013
    Oh wow this game is simply stunning! I've been a fan of Tomb Raider ever since I played the original on my very first computer. Through the years I haven't spent much time with Laura but I'm back for this one and its the best one to date. Everything about this game is a work of art. The gameplay is fluid and looks so beautiful. Let me emphasize on BEAUTIFUL!!! Best game of the year so far.Oh wow this game is simply stunning! I've been a fan of Tomb Raider ever since I played the original on my very first computer. Through the years I haven't spent much time with Laura but I'm back for this one and its the best one to date. Everything about this game is a work of art. The gameplay is fluid and looks so beautiful. Let me emphasize on BEAUTIFUL!!! Best game of the year so far. The multiplayer is pretty good and it will get better. They have a lot behind this so they will fix it and it will be loved by most. Either way its a game worth checking out. I'm a happy guy! Expand
  15. May 5, 2016
    Tomb Raider may get a tad repetitive at times, and feels like a femme version of Uncharted. With that said it is still a solid game with great action set pieces, gorgeous graphics, and nice dose of atmosphere. Fast paced (I beat it in about a day and half) and a lot of fun.
  16. Mar 21, 2013
    It's like they have entered my mind and gave me the game I always wanted. In my honest opinion, this is an ALMOST perfect game. Think of it as Uncharted meets Far Cry 3 and you'll get a picture of what a great gaming experience this new birth of the TR franchise means. Lara is younger, very much younger, trailing the path to become the famous explorer. She is not confident, she's learning,It's like they have entered my mind and gave me the game I always wanted. In my honest opinion, this is an ALMOST perfect game. Think of it as Uncharted meets Far Cry 3 and you'll get a picture of what a great gaming experience this new birth of the TR franchise means. Lara is younger, very much younger, trailing the path to become the famous explorer. She is not confident, she's learning, she's suffering, gradually becoming the fearsome leonesse she'll eventually be. This game gives you everything. Stunning graphics, fluid gameplay, strong atmosphere, movie-like moments of tension, small bits of RPG (like leveling up and upgrading) and a big island to explore (FILLED with collectibles, by the way). I JUST CAN'T PUT THIS GAME DOWN. You know when you are playing a game and you keep feeling sorry that each hour you put in means it will eventually end? I don't want this game to end. It is THAT good. Although this is just March, in a year with a lot of promising releases, I already think Tomb Raider is one of the games of the year (if not THE game). Expand
  17. Mar 24, 2013
    Absolutely amazing, such a turn around for a horrible franchise. To put it gently, Tomb Raider was a very bad series, but this new Tomb Raider changes all of that. When completing the game, yes, it can feel like they are holding your hand, but the game is just too epic and amazing to give a crap about something that Uncharted is just as guilty of. Where this Tomb Raider defeatsAbsolutely amazing, such a turn around for a horrible franchise. To put it gently, Tomb Raider was a very bad series, but this new Tomb Raider changes all of that. When completing the game, yes, it can feel like they are holding your hand, but the game is just too epic and amazing to give a crap about something that Uncharted is just as guilty of. Where this Tomb Raider defeats Uncharted is the tombs and optional tombs that await off the beaten path. While in these tombs, there is absolutely no hand holding and I get giddy about the joy to behold when I discovered a hidden tomb deep inside of a cave or inside a merky mountain passage. Inside these tombs, there is brilliant and rewarding puzzles. Buy this game, it is the best game I've played in YEARS. 11/10 in my opinion, but the rating bar only goes up to 10. Expand
  18. Mar 9, 2013
    As a die-hard Uncharted fan I can easily say that this game is a game to be reckoned with and to boast about. Crystal Dynamics has done a great job in terms of storytelling and especially gameplay, with the bow and arrow being a pleasure to use. It's Naughty Dog's turn now, hopefully if they release Uncharted 4 they will have the Tomb Raider standard to have to top.
  19. Mar 26, 2013
    Every action adventure fan must play this. The gameplay is rich, combat is fun and climbing is even better with lots to explore on the island. The island has a wide variety of amazing environments and is brought to life by the fantastic graphics. There are lots of collectibles and tombs to find, as well as a deep upgrade system. The main story has thrilling set pieces with a wellEvery action adventure fan must play this. The gameplay is rich, combat is fun and climbing is even better with lots to explore on the island. The island has a wide variety of amazing environments and is brought to life by the fantastic graphics. There are lots of collectibles and tombs to find, as well as a deep upgrade system. The main story has thrilling set pieces with a well rounded story. Lara is a great character and its her development as a character that makes the story much more exciting, however the rest of the supporting cast are generally lacking. Multiplayer is not worth it, it feels very rushed and underdeveloped. Overall an incredible game that you must not miss out on. Expand
  20. Mar 28, 2013
    This isn't your grandpa's Tomb Raider. The level of commitment and passion that Crystal Dynamics put into this game is fantastic. I remember playing the old Tomb Raiders, and it was nice to see a breath of fresh air blown into a franchise that was beginning to run a bit stale. The graphics and presentation are excellent. The island of Yamatai is fully-realized and detailed, putting you inThis isn't your grandpa's Tomb Raider. The level of commitment and passion that Crystal Dynamics put into this game is fantastic. I remember playing the old Tomb Raiders, and it was nice to see a breath of fresh air blown into a franchise that was beginning to run a bit stale. The graphics and presentation are excellent. The island of Yamatai is fully-realized and detailed, putting you in the universe with ease. Lara herself looks phenomenal. The writing and story is surprisingly good, well beyond what I expected. I was invested in Lara's character throughout, and was genuinely concerned for her safety throughout. This game truly was all about survival. Gameplay wise, it plays like your standard third-person shooter, with a stealth twist. It was fun, but the similarities to Uncharted were there. The customization and upgrade system was was a nice touch, and the ability to fast travel back to old locations in order to collect missed collectibles was awesome. My one main gripe with the game was the lackluster tombs that populated the games. This IS Tomb Raider after all. The 8 or so tombs that were in the game felt small and simple. Most of them could be solved with very little thought going into them. I would have liked to see a little more attention go into these tombs. My other gripe is the multiplier, which I felt was unnecessary. It feels tacked on and not fully-realized, like they were just looking for something to increase the game's longevity. Overall though, and excellent game that should be played by fans of the franchise and newcomers alike. Expand
  21. Mar 10, 2013
    Wow this is by far the best Tomb Raider game yet.The game play is incredible the action is intense and the controls is as smooth as butter not forgetting the graphics it is stunning. The entire game is incredible you even have some very thrilling scenes a true survival game at it's very best. Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics did a brilliant no an excellent job in rebooting the tomb raiderWow this is by far the best Tomb Raider game yet.The game play is incredible the action is intense and the controls is as smooth as butter not forgetting the graphics it is stunning. The entire game is incredible you even have some very thrilling scenes a true survival game at it's very best. Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics did a brilliant no an excellent job in rebooting the tomb raider franchise. If you love action packed games filled with thrill and adrenaline then Tomb Raider is for you forget the negative reviews those people simply do not know what a good game is all about. Expand
  22. Mar 11, 2013
    Many say that this game is a heavily influenced game I agree. There are remnants of Uncharted here and there are glimpses of FarCry however the game's execution is what makes it shine. The way this game has the ability to let you do what you want in a free roam capacity however still provides a sense of linearity during campaign is something that not many games that don't fall under theMany say that this game is a heavily influenced game I agree. There are remnants of Uncharted here and there are glimpses of FarCry however the game's execution is what makes it shine. The way this game has the ability to let you do what you want in a free roam capacity however still provides a sense of linearity during campaign is something that not many games that don't fall under the sandbox genre can do. Tomb Raider has done it and done it well! And just for kicks, put a free roam function at the end? Genius! The gameplay was great, story was compelling, control set robust, weapons/unlockables satisfying and puzzles generally made you feel good about yourself post completion. The only let down was poor character development in regards to the rest if the cast. Great game, looking forward to more! Expand
  23. Jun 18, 2013
    WARNING: Playing this game will ruin the gameplay of many other games for you. TR has it's issues, but in terms of gameplay, combat and movement, it is a resounding success, very satisfying, fluid and intuitive. I tried playing other 3rd person PS3 games like Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us, and in comparison Nathan Drake handles like a shopping cart. I'm kind of sad now because afterWARNING: Playing this game will ruin the gameplay of many other games for you. TR has it's issues, but in terms of gameplay, combat and movement, it is a resounding success, very satisfying, fluid and intuitive. I tried playing other 3rd person PS3 games like Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us, and in comparison Nathan Drake handles like a shopping cart. I'm kind of sad now because after playing TR, I just can't enjoy those other games like I used to.

Not a traditional TR game, but as an action game, it's great!
  24. Mar 6, 2013
    Tomb Raider's emphasis of the polished, emotive, story-driven campaign is so wonderfully refreshing amidst a sea of shallow Medal of Duty Warfighter Ops multiplayer driven titles. Not only is the game drop dead gorgeous, it's controls are tight and fluid, the gameplay is slick with tons of angles and the scavenging for upgrades is addictive and ads a ton of depth. This is a brand new LaraTomb Raider's emphasis of the polished, emotive, story-driven campaign is so wonderfully refreshing amidst a sea of shallow Medal of Duty Warfighter Ops multiplayer driven titles. Not only is the game drop dead gorgeous, it's controls are tight and fluid, the gameplay is slick with tons of angles and the scavenging for upgrades is addictive and ads a ton of depth. This is a brand new Lara Croft, a stunningly beautiful one that I hope to see a lot more of in the future. I've only given a couple of titles a 10/10 in my PS3 gaming career and this one is ever so close with a 9.5+. Don't even think about it.. Buy this game today. IMHO, the best of 2012 2013. Expand
  25. May 5, 2013
    This might be my favorite game of this generation. Huge Uncharted fan but this bests it. Better combat and better platforming on top of a fun upgrade system. Not an open world game but much more open than the very linear Uncharted. Fun exploring looking for collectables. Great length of game that will keep you busy for a while. Multiplayer is kinda of slow and chunky but can be funThis might be my favorite game of this generation. Huge Uncharted fan but this bests it. Better combat and better platforming on top of a fun upgrade system. Not an open world game but much more open than the very linear Uncharted. Fun exploring looking for collectables. Great length of game that will keep you busy for a while. Multiplayer is kinda of slow and chunky but can be fun for a short burst but it isn't the draw of the game. Must buy!! Expand
  26. Mar 12, 2013
    Thoroughly enjoyable reimagining of the tomb raider franchise. It borrows heavily from Uncharted but also exceeds it in certain respects. Level design, particularly in the use of height to create sense of large space is excellent. There are elements of the game that remind of Dark Souls in that levels run from one to the next in a persistent way that actually allows you to back trackThoroughly enjoyable reimagining of the tomb raider franchise. It borrows heavily from Uncharted but also exceeds it in certain respects. Level design, particularly in the use of height to create sense of large space is excellent. There are elements of the game that remind of Dark Souls in that levels run from one to the next in a persistent way that actually allows you to back track through the island if you wish. Although the game doens't quite return to core puzzling like the best of the tomb raider moments you can remember it does include enough of those elements to reignite your love for the series. The collectables are actually interesting and make yoiu want to use your acrobatics to seek them out and the hidden tombs which are optional do provide reasonable puzzles that are enjoyable to complete if not that taxing.
    As with all tomb raiders and uncharted imo the combat is ok and often unecessary, it is varied enough if you wish to explore the dynamics but I would have minimised this even further to sparse but unique events. Tomb Raider also excels at tension building, a number of scenes I won't mention here for fear of spoiling genuinely are tense if often without any real danger to the player dying and you will find yourself frequently smiling at the end of an action scene at how it was put together and the response the developers have got from you. I'm giving this a 10 and hope the developers on their inevitable next time out don't feel the need to break the format by making it more 'actiony(DEADSPACE)' or overdoing the currently excellent cutscenes(Uncharted 3)
    If I was to be hyper critical I'd say Lara's character development is somehow off without me being able to put my finger on it. One minute determined, the next afraid an unsure of herself, it seems to oscillate a bit. Again perhaps I'm being over analytical there.
  27. Jun 25, 2013
    This game is amazing! I can't believe it took me so long to play it! It has the best graphics I've seen in a game. Those graphics are backed by super fun gameplay mechanics and amazing storytelling. If they make a sequel, I'll be in line for a midnight release.
  28. Mar 5, 2013
    This is the new standard for tomb raider. The atmosphere is amazing. Great story so Far( i am 5 hours in) The gameplay is great. And for the first time in a long Time i truly care about lara. And if She lives or dies. The only cons are the multiplayer feels of uncharted lite. But the cover system is great. I love being as stealthy as I can be. I am very much looking forward for tombThis is the new standard for tomb raider. The atmosphere is amazing. Great story so Far( i am 5 hours in) The gameplay is great. And for the first time in a long Time i truly care about lara. And if She lives or dies. The only cons are the multiplayer feels of uncharted lite. But the cover system is great. I love being as stealthy as I can be. I am very much looking forward for tomb raider 2. lol. Don't let this one pass you by!!!! Expand
  29. Apr 27, 2013
    It's been a long and broken path for our favourite survivor, Lara Croft. She shone through all those years ago in the mid-90s when she came bursting onto the scene in all her pixeled glory. But a few mishaps and and misfire games all but tarnished the name that lets be honest, was a big reason most of us bought a PS1. When Crystal Dynamics took over they tried to bring Lady Croft into theIt's been a long and broken path for our favourite survivor, Lara Croft. She shone through all those years ago in the mid-90s when she came bursting onto the scene in all her pixeled glory. But a few mishaps and and misfire games all but tarnished the name that lets be honest, was a big reason most of us bought a PS1. When Crystal Dynamics took over they tried to bring Lady Croft into the HD world, but they just didn't click anymore with the fans.
    Then perhaps the biggest decision they ever had to make, how can they make a new game, but make it entirely different from the others? Why not go back to the beginning, all the way back to before Lara was the world renowned explorer with her dual pistols and clever attitude. Lets go right back, and they have did a remarkable job at rebooting not only the franchise, but also the character herself.
    We meet a 19 year-old Lara, who has convinced the descendants of a long lost kingdom of people, that the island they used to dwell in, Yamatai, may still exist. having been lost for years.
    Lara goes along with her friends and colleagues on an expedition to find the place, but a freak storm in the 'Dragon Triangle' near Japan has dire consequences for the team, as they are stranded on a deserted island...or so they think.
    The game really tells the story of just how Lara came to be how we remember her, and on this island she gets a pretty hard time of it before reaching that path of the beautiful and clever explorer.
    A strange group occupy the island, and Lara must fight her way through the men, who at one time attempt to rape her, and thus incurs her first, but certainly not last, kill of another human being.
    The game asks the player to guide Lara in her quest to rescue her friends and attempt to find a way off the island. Borrowing much of its style from Uncharted, Tomb Raider plays out as an almost non-linear style, where Lara must look for salvage to upgrade her weapons, find weapon parts for her bow, shotgun, rifle and of course her pistol. But the island of course isn't kind to our hero, wolves will attack you, guards are trying to kill you and the island itself is dangerous to be jumping around on. Lara must climb her up rugged and rough terrain, take down an enormous group of enemies, and solve the mystery as to why nobody has gotten off the dreaded island, but of course we cannot forget her actually exploring tombs either, and there are plenty to raid.The game takes plenty of twists and turns, outlining tragic events that Lara had to deal with to make her the battle-tested survivor she became.
    The island is beautiful to look at, and of course the animations of Lara and her journey through the island are exceptional, especially the button-mashing cinematics that have occupied many games now, but still work best in this and of course Uncharted.
    There are a few minor hiccups that I felt took away a little from having a fully enjoyable experience. Although the game offers plenty of exploration, it really would have benefited more from being an open-world adventure with linear aspects thrown in, the island is quite large, and to get back to various locations you have discovered you must fast-travel to an already discovered camp, I think it would have been a better option for the player to explore their surroundings on their way back, but don't get me wrong the area you are in is still vast enough to explore in, it just could have been more.
    The actions of Lara need to be brought up as well, although it comes to the point in the game where she knows she needs to do anything to survive, her abilities and actions at killing enemies with various methods sort of take away the fact that she felt such distain and vulnerability when slaying her first victim.
    But these minor speed bumps aside this is a much needed and welcome reboot to a franchise so dear to many people, something that started the gaming exploration, and a character as memorable as Lara has been done great justice in how her early years panned out.
    An excellent adventure and an unforgettable experience.
  30. Nov 9, 2015
    I have had the pleasure of playing through this game once on two systems, my PC and my PS3. I played TR originally on PC maxed out with a 360 controller, i enjoyed every bit of the game, started collecting for PS3, i thought why th ehell not and added a physical copy to my collection, i expected it to be a downgraded experience especially with hardware being vastly different, however....I have had the pleasure of playing through this game once on two systems, my PC and my PS3. I played TR originally on PC maxed out with a 360 controller, i enjoyed every bit of the game, started collecting for PS3, i thought why th ehell not and added a physical copy to my collection, i expected it to be a downgraded experience especially with hardware being vastly different, however.... even on PS3 this game is breathtaking obviously not as much as the first time, but from memory of me playing it on PC, i have no qualms with it's visuals at all and the game remains at a stable enough framerate even during heavy combat.
    I own all previous TR games across a few systems.. PS1/Dreamcast/PS2/PS3 this TR is different, but in a good way, exploring the open parts of the game, (i say parts as you have to fast travel to other areas) is fun, trying to locate all docs/GPS Caches/Tombs and relics is a nice side quest, and gives this game more to it's fundamental gameplay armory.
    A 10/10 experience.

1. Apr 11, 2013
    This reboot of the series not only surpassed my expectations, but it is easily one of the best games I have played in a long time. If you're like me and love story driven games that offer a great gaming experience then Tomb Raider is definitely for you.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 3, 2013
    There’s no denying Tomb Raider is a heavily influenced work, both mechanically and aesthetically (its nods to Neil Marshall’s The Descent are so happy to be there at one point Lara even re-enacts the “girlrising-out-of-sea-of-blood” scene). While it offers nothing wholly original, its salvaged parts combine to produce an experience that is consistently better than anything its own heroes have produced. [April 2013, p70]
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Mar 28, 2013
    Despite occasional dissonance between narrative and game mechanics, Tomb Raider is a highly polished, highly accomplished reboot. Kudos, Crystal Dynamics. [Issue#235]