8.3

1. Nov 27, 2011
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, a game of many wonders, many triumps and many things that set the bar in an action game, trolls aside this game just barge through the big games this year the characters lovable, the locations are globetrotting from England to Syria, the campaign defines the game!. Multiplayer is what keeps you going way after the credits roll and the coop is a nice feature improving from UC2, it seems when i play it i always return, Competitve MP is a bit unbalanced but dosen't really make a difference. Expand
  2. Nov 1, 2011
    Great Game.

Awesome graphics, story, sound... its like a movie, but you know, its a movie ... you dont have a lot of actions to do in the game.

The game is not so different than the second part, so you can´t be amazed like the other game, so its a great game, but its more than the second part.
  3. Nov 4, 2011
    UC3 is as average as UC2 was brilliant. As a fan of the first 2 games gotta say the 10 ratings on this site are farcical. Aiming is awful, movement sluggish and "cinematic gameplay" takes control away from the player and even adds movement to the character that's not coming from player input... so it's not "gameplay" at all. Naughty Dog have rushed this out for Xmas. Shame on them.
  4. Nov 12, 2011
    Let me preface this by saying I am a HUGE fan of the Uncharted series. In fact, I consider Uncharted 2 to be the best video game ever made, when you take everything into account (great levels, the best production values ever in a game, engaging characters, great story, etc). I was a bit skeptical as to whether Uncharted 3 would be able to surpass U2 ever since I began seeing trailers for the game, showing what looked to be a drab and incredibly boring desert, and a villain just as boring. Sadly, my initial feelings were correct. U3 just doesn't even come close to the magic I felt when playing U2. The story is just not very good. There are too many frustrating levels, such as the early chase through Cartagena as a young Drake that lead to multiple "deaths" due to the floaty controls making you get stuck if you make even the slightest micrometer of an error. At least half of the levels are just boring. They did improve the melee combat quite a bit, but that isn't enough to make up for the rest. Production values in the game series continue to be top notch, and it was nice seeing the characters again - however there is nowhere near enough Elena for my tastes, or Chloe for that matter. In a holiday game season stock full with big releases, U3 was still the one I was looking forward to the most, however I found that I was having to force myself to play through it, as I just didn't really care about it. When I finally made it to the ending, it was very anticlimactic, and I was just glad it was finally over. This is incredibly disappointing, considering the high regard I hold for U2 - when that game came to an end, I was very sad - I wanted more, for it to keep going. The hopes I held for multiplayer (at least for the co-op, that is) were quickly dashed as well. Competitive multiplayer in U2 was the one weak spot - the control scheme just does not lend itself to precise shooting and fun matches. Sad to say, it is still the same - competitive multiplayer is a complete mess. Poor shooting mechanics and controls lead it to be a crap shoot as to who is going to win when you come upon an enemy. The co-op multiplayer in U2 fared much better, and was incredibly addictive. It was probably the 2nd most played "shooter" game for me, behind the amazing Battlefield: Bad Company 2. However, in U3, Naughty Dog has seen fit to ruin the co-op multiplayer mode. Having to constantly change between Survival, Gold Rush and Siege is a game breaker for me. Taken on their own, they are fine, but I do not want to be forced into playing all 3 types in one match. With no ability to choose a Survival Only, or Gold Rush Only match, this is just unforgiveable. Naughty Dog has also ramped up the difficulty in Arena mode as well. No longer can you just come up behind an ally that is being choked, and quickly dispatch the choker. Now, he is armored enough that you have to shoot him for about 15 seconds just to loosen him up enough to kill him. Forget about trying to punch him off - that takes way too long. Thankfully, the time frame you have before being choked out has increased quite a bit, giving your allies enough time to come to your aid, assuming they are close by. Enemies are smarter, and better armored. Gone are the big, hulking Gatling Gun soldiers - they have been replaced by a faster, better maneuvering giant in lighter armor, carrying a light machine gun that can still lay waste to you easily. The Gatling Gunners weren't that bad, considering how slow they were. Now that this new threat moves quicker, it leads to a lot more trouble for you. Co-Op Adventure Mode is back as well, and there really wasn't any change in this - it has 5 "chapters" with a very minor storyline to it, and a decent amount of challenge to it. Overall, U3 is the worst of the series, in my opinion, as far as the single-player mode goes. Both the original Uncharted, and U2, had a much more engaging story and levels/areas. The only thing U3 has going for it above the other two is the improved melee combat. And U3 multiplayer is a shade of its former self, when compared to U2. I really really wanted this game to be my pick for Game of the Year, but it just isn't even close. In a year of so many high profile games, I'm surprised at how many have been utter disappointments (U3, Batman: Arkham City, and Modern Warfare 3 all were very overhyped, and didn't come close to meeting expectations). As much as I love the Uncharted series, U3 doesn't deserve Game of the Year that award is going to Battlefield 3, in my opinion. I do think U3 is worth playing, just to enjoy the incredibly production values and see just how voice acting and cutscenes should be done....the problem is, is the game worth the $60+ price for it? Sadly enough, I don't think so. Try and find it at a reduced price, or rent the game. This game is only mildy recommended, at best. Expand
  5. Nov 21, 2011
    I enjoyed this game but feel like nothing was groundbreaking or innovative at all. Its very similar to uncharted 2, the gameplay is ok, but it really tries to bank off of its cinematics. Which is why i would just watch a movie instead of trying to play a game that is trying to be a movie, call me old school but i like a challenging video GAME. And really an old lady as a villain that was just lame to me. Expand
  6. Nov 21, 2011
    Characters are somewhat interesting, voice acting is great, and plot was decent. Other than that, there is no substance here. Run down a hallway, shoot bad guys. Do this over and over again for about 20 levels. Multiplayer is simply laughable. Not worth the blu-ray it's burned to. If you want a great single player experience, play Skyrim. If you want a great multiplayer experience, play Battlefield 3. there's simply no reason to buy or own this game. Expand
  7. Dec 29, 2012
    Nothing groundbreaking compared to the previous installment. The game is enjoyable but it's obvious that Naughty Dog was being lazy. Overall a step back compared to Uncharted 2.
  8. Nov 5, 2011
    I'm very disappointed in Uncharted 3. Having completed the campaign once, I don't even want to bother going back to play it again, not even for collectibles or trophies. Aiming in both Single Player and Multiplayer has undergone a complete overhaul - for the worse. Input lag, over use of aim assist, and a nearly grid-based zoom aiming ruin the gunplay elements. Character animations are also significantly downgraded from Uncharted 2. Drake's model and animation looks (and feels) like he's perpetually drunk as he lumbers around corners and touches every single wall he encounters. As you can imagine, this only makes gunfights even more frustrating.

Where have the puzzles gone? In the course of the entire game, I opened my journal a whopping FIVE times. Five. There have been very few puzzles and most of the ones that are in the game are so pathetically easy a chimp can figure them out. Exploration is gone too. Very few places give you the opportunity to explore. The game just pushes you from one spot to the next. Invisible walls and texture blocking is everywhere. I knew exploration was thrown under the bus when, after only an hour in the game, I hit a spot where I found 5 hidden treasures in rapid sucession in less than a minute. These are things, along with the witty banter, that MADE Uncharted. In Uncharted 3, puzzles and exploration have been replaced with gunplay, gunplay and more gunplay. I'll come out and say it outright: The gunplay mechanics in Uncharted have always been the weakest link in the game. NaughtyDog took most of what made the franchise and just replaced it with boring, tedious, gunfights. Then when you're in the gunfights, they make the game "harder" by swarming you with enemies while giving you very few pick up options. I have turned off the game in frustration several times because of gunfight sequences where I'm sitting here with a pistol and an AR - and there's nothing else to be had other than an SMG to replace my pistol - while having to fight two or more enemies in full armor, or with riot shields. Next thing you know, I get one of them down, am almost out of ammo from trying to get through that one's armor and/or headshot them, and then I'm swarmed by 5-7 more mobs that spawned after the first big mob died. Meanwhile, I'm running around like a chicken trying to find ammo, but there's little room to maneuver in most fight sequences because, unlike prior Uncharted titles, the combat areas are ridiculously small with very few places to climb. It's ridiculous and not fun because - yep, gonna repeat myself - the gunplay in Uncharted has always been its weakest element.

Then there's the fact that the walls apparently have glue on them and trying to scramble away from mobs ends up in death because you end up getting stuck in cover and are being shot from all sides while trying to get unstuck from the wall/box/et cetera. The story is DECENT, not great. Uncharted 2 raised the bar for interactive story telling. This one leaves a LOT to be desired. All the secondary characters are thrown in and discarded, with exception to Sully. I've seen these shadow villains only a few times over the course of the game; I don't feel like they're that big of a threat. The story behind why we're going where we're going feels like a major stretch. I know Uncharted 1 and 2 were about Drake and his "relationships" while 3 is supposed to be about Drake and Sully, but I'm not really feeling the character building there. In fact, we've seen about as much between Drake and Sully that we always see except now we know how they met. The story is undoubtedly better than many, but just not up to par with the prior two games.

Credit where its due: The game is beautiful but it's not anywhere near as fun as Uncharted or Uncharted 2.

IMO, this is, by far, the weakest in the series. With all of the aforementioned issues, plus the gutting of small additions, such as gameplay unlocks and the cutscene viewer, it feels like NaughtyDog simply cut corners to get the game out to retail.
  9. Nov 21, 2011
    After UC2 this game is a bit disappointing, visually beautiful but the controls are just so bad with repetitive combat it is hard to believe it gets such rave reviews.
  10. Nov 6, 2011
    As a guy who has strong opinions and a near unparalleled love for all things gaming. I absolutely love Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, top to bottom the game is everything you had in the first two titles and more. You want that skinny on Drake's background story? No problem want to beat up pirates and race across the globe against an ancient, super-secret organization hell bent exposing Sir Francis Drake's deception? You got it. The locales in the game are jobbing dropping stunning, the way the game transitions from cut scene to in game graphics is seamless and unlike any other console game on the market. Naughty Dog said they wanted to show improved water and fire effects, and they did. I can't get over how great the small things are, which adds to the overall experience. The mechanics are back but with a few tweaks, the aim is less wonky, still not superb, however, it does NOT hinder you. The guns have recoil thus you must take a bit more time in aiming. Fantastic voice acting returns and Uncharted solidifies why it's a head of it's class in that respect, every character; protagonist and antagonist add to the overall experience to the game making feel just that much more immersive and engaging. Action is still pulse-pounding, all this topped off with one of the greatest adventure stories in gaming. I don't give credit like that away often. If Uncharted 3 did surpass Uncharted 2, it sure as hell rivaled it.

Co-op and Multiplayer is back, with Multiplayer being so much more improved, you get multiple map choices and game types a plethora of upgrades, perks, treasure etc. Naughty Dog threw in the kitchen sink. Co-Op is a bit of a head scratcher at times, it attempts to blends in story elements with out the story and it doesn't work. The Ai is also a bit weird at times, however, it's a small thing when you're enjoying the game with your friends.

If you are not a real fan of gaming you won't like this game, if you are a fake PS3 fanboy or a fake gamer or you're just anti-Uncharted then you won't like this game. Don't play because I don't want to see yet another gratuitous, childish "review" like many I have seen on Metacritic. Is Uncharted 3 perfect? No, does that make it a bad game? Absolutely not. Does it live in Uncharted 2's shadow? No. Buy the game have fun.
  11. Nov 4, 2011
    I'm such a big fan of Uncharted 2 that it pains me to say this, but this game has been nothing but a disappointment to me. UC2 succeeded because of excellent pacing between gunplay and platforming, thanks to great level design and a simple combat mechanic that left the focus where it should be--on the rest of the game. The changes to the combat system in UC3 force any fighting--hand to hand or gun--down to a plodding pace. The level design is a shade above terrible, as the enemies (usually 10 or 15 in an area) have way too much room to maneuver and flank Drake, and the cover that you're afforded just doesn't plain work half the time. Even the writing, the thing that made me fall in love with UC2, suffers at times, especially during the Syria mission. Take the title off the box, take the budget off of the engine, and this is a mediocre game. Not a bad game--a mediocre one. And I can't tell you how disappointed that makes me. Expand
  12. Nov 2, 2011
    It really surprises me to see this game get an average of 7.6 on here. I think this game deserves to be game of the year. The graphics, first off, are THE best out there. I think they're better than even God of War 3. The beautiful environments and structures take your breathe away. Although the campaign is pretty short, it is the best 9 hours of a campaign you will ever get. The story is really good. The thought of an "Atlantis of the sands" is really awesome! I also really like the name. It will make sense why it's called "Drakes Deception" when you play it. Anyway, the colors, buildings, and "uncharted" areas make the game a masterpiece. The character's are also fantastic and are one of the reasons why it's astoundingly good. This game is comprised of several things: Top Notch graphics, lovable characters, great puzzles, combat (very awesome fist fighting), a great story and very good multiplayer. All of those things listed mesh into a game, a world, that sucks you in and makes you laugh, make you watch in aw and possibly even cry. The only thing I have left to say is regarding to the multiplayer. I absolutely love the multiplayer. Rarely is it cheap when you die. If you're bored of your yearly fps's and you want a very good multiplayer game, uncharted is a must buy. The muliplayer is one of the main reason's why this game is getting such a high score. The epic, beautiful, emotional, intense campaign is the best I have ever played and the multiplayer is amongst the best I've ever played. Honestly, this is the best game on ps3, and one of the best games of all time. Expand
  13. Nov 3, 2011
    True masterpiece, might just be the best game this generation. gripping story with amazing graphics, could not put down the controller, had to keep going, see how it ends, haven't had that since Uncharted 2 :) a MUST HAVE for every ps3 owner!
  14. Nov 6, 2011
    I did not have as much fun as playing Uncharted 3 since Red Dead Redemption. This game is incredible, even better than UC2. Yes, it's short and not extremely innovative compared to the previous instalment, but these hours of game are so great that it's pure pleasure!
  15. Nov 4, 2011
    fantastic game,better than uncharted 2,the best story ever made,linear gameplay but functional to the story,awesome moments,graphics are amazing!recommended to everyone
  16. Nov 2, 2011
    Every bit as thrilling as its predecessors but a big step up in the visual department. I really enjoy the changes they made to the multiplayer as well, I'd like to play more of it if I could tear myself away from Battlefield 3... Probably a 9.5 in my eyes but since I can't give half scores it has to be a 10.
  17. Nov 3, 2011
    Just got the game and played it through. I tell you now, this game is a blessing. A real wonderpiece. It does top number two and will go on to win GOTY. I lie to you readers not. It is a extremely fun game to play as well as aesthetically pleasing. Second to none, this is top notch. Multiplayer was great in beta, can you imagine what its like for the official one? I don't have to imagine, neither do you, I praise the gameplay and mechanics. Inside and out, this game is one hell of a thing. Stop imagining and wondering, go out and buy Uncharted 3 so you can witness perfection in your hands. Best money I have spent to date. Expand
  18. Nov 2, 2011
    Este será com certeza o melhor jogo do ano .
    Aqueles que não tiveram a oportunidade de jogar os anteriores não sabem o que estão perdendo.
    Excelente história, jogabilidade, gráficos e multi-player....
    Vale a pena conferir será compra garantida!
  19. Nov 5, 2011
    It's sad on how this game is getting 10's. This game is far from perfect. Alot of things really bothered me from this game compared to the other 2 games which were better than this one. First is the firmware update and the loading up the game took about 10 minutes. Then another 10 to actually play the game because of the cutscene. The next thing is the combat. They really tried to implement a Batman style battle system but it truly failed. The combat was sluggish and more of a dance than actual fighting. it wasnt fluid and you couldnt control your attacks it was just like a cutscene and have to watch it play out. Sometimes while this is happening the enemies are not phased by your attacks and you are being shot at by other enemies which is annoying.

The gameplay is more of the same but this time the targeting is so sensitive that you are all over the place. The weapons are not balanced as well I empty a whole clip shooting enemies in the head and they dont die. I use a bazooka to blow up some guys and they eat the blow and keep coming at you. The only 2 weapons that actually kills enemies in 1 shot are the magnum and the sniper rifle. The rest of the weapons are usless. As for replay value it has none. Once you beat it and it AUTOSAVES you cant go back to find the rest of the treasures you missed in the other chapters. YOU CAN"T. So dont try to tell me you can.

The story is just bland, boring, leaves empty plot holes, is a cut and paste of the old game ideas and it really lacks alot of common sense. Theres a point in the game where you meet 2 characters and as the game progresses on you forget about them. So why put them in the game? I mean the game is called uncharted right so why arent they discovering like a lost islands that havent been discovered?

The biggest problem with the game I have to say is the camera angles. When you get to chapter 2 and beyond you'll understand. The camera doesnt lead you to where you need to go in this game. You have to die and redo the whole thing again because there is no path to follow. Sometimes you get stuck facing a wall and you dont know if you have to climb, jump over something, turn left or right. This happens in all the events where you are getting chased or have to outrun something. Its a real pain and really frustrating. There were times I just wanted to return the game but I needed to finish it because I wanted to know what the fuss is about with this game series.

Dont get me wrong the game effects are awesome like the way sand and water affect your character and the way he interacts with the buildings and people. But if they really focused on the story ,gameplay, controls and camera angles instead of wowing us with a cinematic feeling it the game would have been good and might I add it was shorter than the second game. People praising this game have problems. I just dont see the 10's this is what I can think of. Either they just have a PS3 and are dedicated to whatever comes out on that console. Their expectations were so high on this game that in the end they were disappointed and are afraid to voice there negative opinions on it because they want to see more sequels made. It can also be being embarrased by the people who told them I told you so. I don't see this as game of the year only best game on PS3.
  20. Dec 6, 2011
    I liked this game. I loved Uncharted 2 & 3. As much as I like this Uncharted 3, it's starting to feel a little too much the same. Every uncharted game has nearly the same sequence ie; You are traveling to a place. The bad guys show up to claim the prize before you do. OR the bad guys show up as you claim the prize and try to take it from you. These happen over and over and over and over again just the same as they have in 1 & 2 and it is starting to become tiresome. Graphics are great and game play is still fun. Expand
  21. Jan 30, 2012
    First, the open beta was a really good experience. Now, the history is awesome, if you compare with Among Thieves yo can see the same line, the game is completrly addictive and once you try, you cant leave easy.
    The graphics are a beautiful experience and will bring the most amazing experience in Full HD.
  22. Nov 2, 2011
    It's Unchartered there is nothing more to say. The beginning scene is good but not as good as UC2. However, the foot chase part was fun. I found myself fighting more than shooting. That's a nice addition.
  23. Nov 3, 2011
    People saying that it's like a movie are stupid, yes naughty dog wanted it to feel like that, so when there's a cutscenes the graphics are the same as when you play. Meaning that, "look at how uncharted has amazing graphics in both gameplay/ cutscenes/ oh and cutscenes where you can controll the outcome" people always finding stupid faults, and I would bet money it's from someone who has seen how epic this game is round a friends house and is nerd raging because he is still playing on the dreamcast. I own and play my ps3 and 360 a lot, and I cannot see how this won't get GOTY, if anything can beet it, it's zelda OOT in 3D out of respect. If you've played Uncharted 1 & 2 before then your stupid if you don't own this. Visuals 10 gameplay 10 story 10 voice acting 10 etc etc etc. people saying its dated....YAWN (blatant haters) you know when people are trolls, when they try and knock the best game out this year. Honestly this game will eat MW3 and Skyrim for breakfast at any gaming awards. Expand
  24. Nov 5, 2011
  25. Nov 23, 2011
    I have played all 3 installments of the series and UC2 is by far the best.

UC3 dissapointed me in many ways: Too many cutscenes, puzzles gives you hints after a couple of minutes making them easy to solve, animation is bad and controls are not responsive.

Is more like watching a movie rather than playing a game.

On the plus side are the graphics and the story.
  26. Nov 19, 2011
    Overrated with poorer gunplay, QTE melee and terrible pacing. Want a cut scene? Sure have one then have a "push forward to walk" sequence, then a cut scene, then a long puzzle, then have another long cut scene. Platforming isn't great and the characters are virtually mutes outside the amazing looking cut scenes.As for puzzles, let's cram 3 together in the space of 30 minutes and call it a day. Multiplayer is merely adequate with poorer co-op. Oh yeah, play chapter 18 again when you finish. Then tell me again this game is worth 9 or 10, you won't be able to with a straight face. I'm sure the Sony marketing team will thumb me down. You are doing yourself a great injustice by believing that all of these 10s are actually legitimate. For the record - Uncharted 2 is my GOTY for 2009, now that is an amazing game. Expand
  27. Nov 4, 2011
    Although Uncharted 3's multiplayer isn't as good as Uncharted 2, the single-player is flat out amazing. One of the best games this year and one of the best looking.
  28. Nov 2, 2011
    While it is undeniable that this game looks good and has many nice little bits like the water, fire and sand effects. Also the adventuring is sound and fun. The story on the other hand, while well told is not my cup of tea, many times the game plays out like an interactive movie more than a game, a very beautiful movie, but a movie. Then there is the combat it just wasn't very fun the endless supply of samey goons and boring shooting. So in conclusion not a bad game at all, in fact quite a good game (yes 7/10 is good, not awful) but not quite my cup of tea, so I'll watch movies for my deep stories and plot twists and keep playing games that are all about play for my personal tastes. :) Expand
  29. Nov 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. WARNING: SPOILERS

When I first put this game in my ps3 I knew it would blow me away. From when I took my first punch to when I shot Talbot in da FACE I pretty much peed my pants. All the cutscenes feel like a movie and all the cinamatography is extremely well done. From graphics to gameplay to characters, this game has it all.
  30. Nov 4, 2011
    Not just a breathtaking Middle Eastern adventure, but a masterpiece, truly a masterpiece. Naughty Dog are experts in challenging themselves and every time they win the challenge! Uncharted 3 - that isn't new, that's the franchise's norm by the way - has adorable characters, great adventure, amazing music and smooth gameplay, not to mention the best graphics up until this moment on any console. The multiplayer portion of the game was vastly improved when it's compared to its predecessor. This game is a must buy to any PS3 owner or any Action/Adventure fan out there. Don't miss it! Expand

1. The characterisations by the actors is second to none and even though this tall-tale takes you to fantastical places and events, the script is never once unbelievable. You never feel like an outsider. If anything, you'll feel right at home, ensconced in the constant drama of this loveable cast of returning reprobates and reprehensible villains. [Dec 2011, p60]
  2. Feb 5, 2012
    It's more than just the best entry in an outstanding series though - it epitomises the very reason many of us play video games. And that's its greatest achievement.
    Only a few camera troubles stopped us from giving Drake's Deception the highest rating. Uncharted 3 is without doubt the best PS3 exclusive game of this year. [Dec 2011]