Uncharted: Drake's Fortune PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 16, 2007
8.1

1. Dec 27, 2012
    Unfortunately as many other players I played Uncharted 2 first so I did feel the difference between both games and I agree with other critics the number of enemies in this game it's ridiculous, and they can get a lot of damage but they just wont go down. But don't get me wrong this is definitely one of the best Adventure video game in the PS3 history.
  2. Aug 27, 2015
    It is an OK game.
    The graphics are stunning, very nicely made for the time in which the game came out. The presentation is by far the best feature of the game. The facial expressions are a bit awkward, though.
    The soundtrack is OK: the main theme stays in your head, even if it is not great. The length is what is to be expected of a third person shooter for PS3. However, the story is
    It is an OK game.
    The length is what is to be expected of a third person shooter for PS3. However, the story is just average and the gameplay is highly repetitive (shooting and shooting, some climbing and then, again, shooting).

So, basically, the main problem of this game is the gameplay. The controls are not too good and the whole game you will see yourself shooting at hundreds of enemies. These enemies do not wear any kevlar armor but still need 4 or 5 bullets from your AK47 to be put down. In Uncharted, everything concerning the shooting gameplay is mediocre. And shooting is 90% of Uncharted.
  3. Jul 7, 2015
    As always people a little excited instantly blew this game up high to 10/10s and claims of being a masterpiece. Probably influenced by the critics reviews and the lack of adventure games when it was released. But those who played it can't deny these basic flaws:
    There are big and tedious hordes of enemies coming out everywhere, with poorly placed spawns and in an unreasonable cycling fashion. You kill an horde, make a step forward another one commences, until you get to the next room. It almost feels like a tower defense game.
    The shooting isn't great, the cover system will fail you most of the times with Drake obsessively hugging every wall and taking bad cover. The weapon balancement is ridiculous, some weapons are stupidly strong while others are close to being toys. Regardless, the enemies even without the slightest armor will take a ton of hits to get kill unless you shoot them in the head, which was probably the most rewarding mechanic.
    Sometimes the level design fools you into thinking you can sneak by some enemies but it will automatically trigger alerts when you get close, and trust me, you'll want to avoid combat like a plague at a certain point.

Calling this game an adventure game about exploration was an absolute lie, there's no exploring at all, most of the places where you can get are there to actually advance in the game, only sometimes there will be really small portions of the "stages" where you'll be able to find "not so well hidden" treasures.

Many levels are very poorly designed, you'll find yourself killed by enemies spawning at your back. Entering stages where you'll instantly get granades thrown at without any way to get back to safety. After the first few hours the melee combat system will be virtually useless with enemies knocking you out like professional boxers. The climbing sections are lying between "guessing" frustration and "repetitive" button mashing: that means most of the time you'll find yourself mashing the X button because regardless of where you go most of the time you won't need to think where to aim. Until some parts where it will become pretty bad because of the camera angle shifting your controls and messing up your sense of direction and the absolute inability of knowing what ledges you can grab onto. You'll find yourself jumping to stupidly far away ledges and grabbing to them or jump to really close ones and dying from trying.
    If you want to make the jumping tricky, because you have to press the button at the right moment or Drake will fall to its death, you can do it but you shouldn't fill the map with invisible walls and ungrappable ledges.

The story is also predictable, but still interesting.
    The characters are likable, at least Drake and Sully are fun sometimes.
    The graphics are good for the time but the scenarios are very samey, all forest, and with scarse detail.

So to summarize:
    -dull platforming/climbing
    -empty unexplorable map
    -Nice story/characters
    -Poor graphics

Definitely enjoyable by someone who likes to just shoot a lot, because the puzzles are very easy, a child could solve them. But you have to get over the **** like lacking platforming and bad spawns.

Gotta be an hardcore fan to enjoy it all the way through.
  4. Sep 24, 2012
    fine, but incredibly overrated. The game isn't that long and the story left an incredibly bad taste in my mouth, it gets so much praise, but there are far better games on the PS3.
  5. PaulL.
    Jan 10, 2010
    This game is far from greatness. It can be quite infuriating at times and some of the checkpoint save locations are a joke. Combat can go both ways, either good or very bad. Aside from that, the story is somewhat charming. I must note here, that I'm a victim of the "Crysis effect". Anything above a 7, can't be justified.
  6. Jan
    Nov 27, 2007
    6 to 9 Hours of Singleplayer Gameplay with low Replay Value and no additional Features. Total lack of Multiplayer or Coop Mode. 5/10
  7. Feb 24, 2013
    It is not that bad but its a bit overrated. DonĀ“t get me wrong, its not that uncharted sucks, it doesnt but there is much space above. But the graphics were good at that time.
  8. May 30, 2012
    This is not a bad game, it is just not what I was looking for in an adventure game of this hype-status and here's why.

The setting seems interesting enough, a random (not super-powered) guy goes on a treasure hunting experience and is facing expected and unexpected enemies. Graphics are very good, gameplay is not as brilliant as many people say, but decent. The major letdown for me was that there is no real exploring in this game. You climb through caves or make your way up castles, trees and whatnot. On your path, you will find treasures, but the feeling of exploration is not there. What really killed the game for me is the shooting parts. this is where all athmosphere and fun is killed in an instant. I was reminded of the (terrible) Resident Evil 5 when I found myself walking through an appearantly quiet passge, when suddenly (maybe an invisible switch) hordes of bad guys with guns started attacking me. This feels incredibly dumb, as there is no music of any kind, just the sound of shooting guys that never seem to stop coming. I stopped playing after the 3rd or 4th shootout and sold the game, as it was another "please all" mashup of some very limited exploring and a lot of unnecessary shootouts.
  9. Jan 10, 2016
    +good tomb raider style platforming
    +aside from the character models, the visuals still hold up very well
    +covershooting sections are somewhat enjoyable
    -covershooting sections kinda tend to drag on and happen far too often
    -platforming feels finicky at points
    -story is pretty average
    -puzzles are insultingly easy
  10. Dec 2, 2015
    I could never understand the love this game gets.
    The story is just good, nothing really amazing, no real motives for the characters other than they want to get rich. Voice acting is great and the visuals are still pretty good even though we're in the next generation of video games.
    I could never understand the love this game gets.

As for the gunplay, it's mediocre at best and at times just plain awful. You take cover and they send hordes of bullet sponge enemies at you. Headshots can kill in one shot but they never quite seem to work as smoothly as other shooters. After you kill a wave of 20 enemies, who all have a specific character model depending on what weapon their holding, which makes for little variety, 20 more spawn and you have to fight for 5 more boring minutes. The guns sound like bb guns, and there is barely any variety of them. For people who praise the gunplay as "exciting", to me it seems like they haven't played other pure cover based third person shooters such as Gears of War, Ghost Recon (and I mean that with no disrespect to Uncharted lovers). Even Mass Effect 3 had better gunplay. I've seen people argue by saying Uncharted isn't a third person shooter, it's a story-driven adventure game, but the fact is 80-90% of the game is mediocre shooting.

The game gets more interesting when you can explore ruins by climbing obstacles Assassin's Creed style, but eventually you realize it's completely linear with no alternative ways of reaching your destination. You climb a rock, the camera points to a ledge and only that ledge and you press jump to jump there. Pretty disappointing as you're supposed to feel like an adventurer/treasure hunter, but you don't get a chance to actually explore, only an illusion of it.

Probably the worst part of all is the puzzles you encounter when exploring ruins. Some of the easiest puzzles I've ever encountered in video games that requires little thinking. You sometimes look at your notepad which pretty much gives away the answer to the puzzles. They usually require doing only one simple objective multiple times. For example; climb up later, pull lever, climb up adjacent ladder, pull lever. A game like Tomb Raider excels in the exploring and puzzling department miles better than this game.

Overall a mediocre game, and a pretty lackluster start to a beloved series. I haven't played the sequels because of how little I enjoyed this game, but I'm assuming either all of them are bad, or Uncharted 1 gets praised for something its successors do. This game tries to be everything but in that process it doesn't exactly succeed at anything, save for storytelling and acting. If I want exciting third person action, I'll go play Gears. If I want the freedom to climb and explore, there's a whole catalog of Assassin's Creed games for the choosing. If I want to go on an adventure and treasure hunter, Tomb Raider offers that.
    Uncharted just seems like the exclusive game PS3 owners at the time needed to brag to their 360 owning friends, but the hype and praise surrounding this game just wasn't there for me.
  11. OscarH
    Aug 11, 2008
    I bought this on the strength of certain reviews, and I must admit I feel robbed; although I was fortunate enough to purchase it on Platinum so it doesn't hurt the piggy bank too badly! Games have taken a nose dive if a game so unimaginative and lacking in innovation as this is scoring anything above a 7. The positive: this game looks fantastic. Although the graphics aren't as I bought this on the strength of certain reviews, and I must admit I feel robbed; although I was fortunate enough to purchase it on Platinum so it doesn't hurt the piggy bank too badly! Games have taken a nose dive if a game so unimaginative and lacking in innovation as this is scoring anything above a 7. The positive: this game looks fantastic. Although the graphics aren't as impressive as Metal Gear Solid 4, it's still a very nice effort, albeit it looks plastic and over saturated in some places. In addition, it at least attempts to introduce innovation into the gameplay (with jetskis, jumping, puzzles etc) although you quickly realise they all follow a similar linear pathway and are heavily interspersed with the same lazy gameplay. The negatives: - Repetitive: For a short game (~8 hours apparently) this felt like a week of playing, such was the tedium. Shooting an endless stream of unnamed enemies grows tiresome very quickly; replacing those enemies with a few zombies at the end isn't the innovation I am looking for - Plot: B-movie style. This is acceptable in a game like Far Cry where its superior visuals and open ended approach to gameplay is the main selling point, but for such a linear game it hardly helps matters here. - AI: Almost superhuman at times, which isn't a good thing; those enemies with the lasers (especially Navarro at the end) are inhumanely accurate. Their presence is also incongruous with the information of certain locations - e.g. they appear in droves in areas that humans apparently haven't seen for hundreds of years. - Absolute zero replay value: I have no intention of ever playing this game again following my lack of enjoyment on my first run through. With the additional lack of multiplayer and coop modes, this will now be gathering dust somewhere. Overall this is lazy game design. Do not buy but merely rent this title only if you have a really boring weekend you want to kill, slowly and painfully. Distinctly unimpressed. Expand
  12. Aug 9, 2011
    Uncharted is a good game and having completed it after Uncharted 2, my score may be lower than otherwise... Nonetheless, it is a great game with a good story, good characters and great voicework, together with a cinematic soundtrack. The graphics are very good, with the occassional pop-in and dodgy texture. The gameplay is decent, not as refined as its successor but there are some elementsUncharted is a good game and having completed it after Uncharted 2, my score may be lower than otherwise... Nonetheless, it is a great game with a good story, good characters and great voicework, together with a cinematic soundtrack. The graphics are very good, with the occassional pop-in and dodgy texture. The gameplay is decent, not as refined as its successor but there are some elements that can be frustrating. This mainly revolves around the attempt to apply six-axis controls into grenade throwing and shaking off some of the latter enemies... this can be frustrating. I'm not a big fan of quick-time events and this game has some infrequently and often unexpected during cutscenes. I can't see much reason to playthrough again other than trophies, which I'm not interested in. The game provides a decent challenge on the normal setting. Good, 3/5. Expand
  13. WayneL.
    Jan 27, 2008
    Repetitive battles, poor story, poor object models (clipping problems), pointless jumping puzzles. Over all not a bad game but defiantly not worth the hype.
  14. MessiahL.
    Dec 24, 2007
    I rented it from Blockbuster and finished it before it was even due. Is this game really WORTH $60? Drake borrows from a variety of franchises: Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 4, et al but never really establishes itself as anything more than a derivative action/adventure game. I slugged through the 5 hours it took me to complete it... and you know what? I don't want to go back. It had a I rented it from Blockbuster and finished it before it was even due. Is this game really WORTH $60? Drake borrows from a variety of franchises: Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 4, et al but never really establishes itself as anything more than a derivative action/adventure game. I slugged through the 5 hours it took me to complete it... and you know what? I don't want to go back. It had a nice plot-twist toward the end, but it seems like it's there just to reassure you that Drake's Uncharted Fortune is merely a competent title, not an impressive one. Overall, I guess it might be worth the $60 price-tag if the only current-gen (NOT next-gen system) you own is a PS3. Expand
  15. Feb 26, 2012
    Nice graphics, interesting gameplay, and very well-made characters and dialogue. Voice acting is TOP notch. However, the story line immediately made me think of Indian Jones. Soon I realized that this WAS indiana jones. Then the weird monsters started attacking. Then I realized that the monsters are just people dressed up as monsters. Then I laughed and realized that this game is reallyNice graphics, interesting gameplay, and very well-made characters and dialogue. Voice acting is TOP notch. However, the story line immediately made me think of Indian Jones. Soon I realized that this WAS indiana jones. Then the weird monsters started attacking. Then I realized that the monsters are just people dressed up as monsters. Then I laughed and realized that this game is really nothing special. Expand
  16. DBCooper
    Feb 12, 2008
    Wave after wave of pointless pirates just becomes tedious after a while - especially when they swarm out of areas that supposedly have not seen the light of day for hundreds of years. The guns also feel underpowered - how many direct hits from an AK-47 can a guy in a tank top withstand? In this game, about 10. I haven't even gotten to the zombies yet. Anyway if you haven't Wave after wave of pointless pirates just becomes tedious after a while - especially when they swarm out of areas that supposedly have not seen the light of day for hundreds of years. The guns also feel underpowered - how many direct hits from an AK-47 can a guy in a tank top withstand? In this game, about 10. I haven't even gotten to the zombies yet. Anyway if you haven't played yet, prepare for a lot of pointless shooting, and get used to this sound, just as you're starting to look around at the environment and get interested in what's going on: "There he is!" "I see him!" "Shoot to kill!" Sigh. Expand
  17. Apr 2, 2012
    The dullest third-person shooting game I have played in a while, complete with quick-time events. The scenery was nice and the graphics were very good too, and the platforming sections were fairly enjoyable. The story is ridiculous though and overall it was kind of a "meh" game.
  18. GeorgeD.
    Dec 19, 2007
    I don't know why this game is getting tens! It is good but the short length of the campaign makes it really bad value for money. Also the camera systems erratic seesawing (especially on the jetski stages) induces NAUSEA, which I cannot say is a very pleasant gaming experience.
  19. JoeB.
    Dec 31, 2007
    Combat is bad. Storyline is average. Graphics are stunning!! All he textures look real .. simply amazing. I also thought it was rather difficult, it may be a little much for the average gamer.
  20. EricK.
    Jan 1, 2008
    Way too much shooting, the game drags it out so bad in some spots you never think its gonna end. Not real impressed so far with this websites scores this is the third game i have bought going off the review scores on here and am feeling very cheated.
  21. RobB.
    Mar 14, 2008
    NO REPLAY VALUE! I have played this "last gen game with a coat of new paint" several times through to completion on different levels including "crushing". I have found 61 of 60 tresures and been bored senseless doing so! Don't buy this, there is no point buying a game that you will get bored with after the third play through! Graphically I cant see what people are raving about; the NO REPLAY VALUE! I have played this "last gen game with a coat of new paint" several times through to completion on different levels including "crushing". I have found 61 of 60 tresures and been bored senseless doing so! Don't buy this, there is no point buying a game that you will get bored with after the third play through! Graphically I cant see what people are raving about; the screen tears every time your character turns around! The worst thing about this game is that it's so linear that it can't be described as "Next Gen", unless "Next Gen" really means just a coat of new paint! Expand
  22. ChrisS.
    Mar 16, 2008
    Anything review above a 7 is by children or people who have never played a video game before. This game is gorgeous graphically, that's it. Puzzles are lame and easy and the action gets repetitive and down right tedious after a while. I wouldn't have been as vocal if I hadn't thought a 9 or 10 was showing up in the mail from all the initial reviews. 9s and 10s is what Anything review above a 7 is by children or people who have never played a video game before. This game is gorgeous graphically, that's it. Puzzles are lame and easy and the action gets repetitive and down right tedious after a while. I wouldn't have been as vocal if I hadn't thought a 9 or 10 was showing up in the mail from all the initial reviews. 9s and 10s is what Bioshock, orange box, ratchet and clank, COD4, Halo 3, Rainbow Six Vegas, and others got, this game is not in the same ball park, league, sport, or even the same planet of fun vs those games. The best part of this game is behind the scene extras. It's doing the PS3 a dis service to rate this game this high. If this is a 9 or 10, I made a serious mistake putting 500 bucks down for the PS3. Expand
  23. crackerJax
    Nov 19, 2007
    I saw previews and the graphics look horrible, I saw it on G4 and waasnt sure if it was polished up by then but it was a mission where you were running around on a boat shooting at other people on a boat. I want to really like this game but I think I am going to rent it first.
  24. AshM.
    Nov 22, 2007
    Really pretty game. But really shallow. Boring gunplay, pretty bad sound effects (guns sound like toys), glitchy cover system, bad AI, monotonous level design, boring "collect them all" treasure system.
  25. chrisl
    Mar 22, 2008
    The only reason anyone would rate this game a 9 or 10 is becuase they are so desperate for a exclusive ps3 game to be good. I own ps3 and the xbox360 and games as boring as this keep me going back to my 360. If you would just vote the score these crappy games deserve they would be forced to make better ones, but, since you want to hype up dud's like this they will continue to sell us The only reason anyone would rate this game a 9 or 10 is becuase they are so desperate for a exclusive ps3 game to be good. I own ps3 and the xbox360 and games as boring as this keep me going back to my 360. If you would just vote the score these crappy games deserve they would be forced to make better ones, but, since you want to hype up dud's like this they will continue to sell us the same old garbage. This game deserves a 6. It had it's fun moments but had more boring moments. It would have received a 7or 8 if it was longer and had less monotony. Expand
  26. JustinG.
    Jun 27, 2008
    I love puzzle adventure games, so I was really looking forward to this game. What a disappointment. Chris S.' review below is spot on the money! I only gave it a 6 because the graphics are stunning, the story was interesting and the game play wasn't bad. Come on guy's, lift your expectations! The puzzles are fed to you on a platter, and the shooter element is so repetitive. I love puzzle adventure games, so I was really looking forward to this game. What a disappointment. Chris S.' review below is spot on the money! I only gave it a 6 because the graphics are stunning, the story was interesting and the game play wasn't bad. Come on guy's, lift your expectations! The puzzles are fed to you on a platter, and the shooter element is so repetitive. If you think this game is deserving of any score above a 6 go back to ps2, play "Soul Reaver" or "God of War" and have a good hard look at this game. Rent it, don't buy it! Expand
  27. Feb 17, 2014
    meh. drake's first adventure is a pretty mediocre one. the gameplay has some pretty fun platforming and puzzles but it focuses too much on the 3rd person shooter gameplay which wasn't very interesting to begin with. the plot though isn't anything groundbreaking or super complex, it is still quite entertaining and is full of loveable characters. the presentation is also quite good but themeh. drake's first adventure is a pretty mediocre one. the gameplay has some pretty fun platforming and puzzles but it focuses too much on the 3rd person shooter gameplay which wasn't very interesting to begin with. the plot though isn't anything groundbreaking or super complex, it is still quite entertaining and is full of loveable characters. the presentation is also quite good but the character models do look kinda awful. Expand
  28. Feb 2, 2015
    Almost a good game. Graphics are good but confusing. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between background decoration and interactable ledges. Gun play gets frustrating towards the end. Aiming is slow and when you're surrounded by melee enemies, there's no way you can react fast enough. Naughty Dog might think that it's a good way to increase game lenght by making the players doAlmost a good game. Graphics are good but confusing. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between background decoration and interactable ledges. Gun play gets frustrating towards the end. Aiming is slow and when you're surrounded by melee enemies, there's no way you can react fast enough. Naughty Dog might think that it's a good way to increase game lenght by making the players do things that are not really working with game mechanics.
    Still, it's an interesting game with somewhat illogical level design.
  29. Oct 9, 2013
    I don't get it, how is THIS supposed to be one of the "system selling" PS3 games? The gameplay is so totally lame, boring linear platforming, amazingly repetitive and pointless fighting. Sure, the cutscenes are well made and fun, and the scenery is beautiful, but how can any of that compensate for such poor game mechanics is beyond me.
  30. Feb 26, 2013
    Uncharted was a great idea for a game and therefore I believe the series deserves its multiple awards. However, I believe the game reminds me more of a Tomb Raider game from the original PlayStation but with a male protagonist. The gameplay mechanics for shooting were very well done for a 3rd person shooter but I felt like you could traverse the entire game by just hitting the actionUncharted was a great idea for a game and therefore I believe the series deserves its multiple awards. However, I believe the game reminds me more of a Tomb Raider game from the original PlayStation but with a male protagonist. The gameplay mechanics for shooting were very well done for a 3rd person shooter but I felt like you could traverse the entire game by just hitting the action button over and over again while jumping around. The game also included a couple puzzles but I thought they were too easy and a waste of 5 minutes. The story started out great but by the end I really didn't care that much anymore even though the game doesn't take that long to beat. The series deserves respect for what it tried to do but I would rather spend my time playing a longer more interesting game. Expand

The final sum is far greater than the individual parts. Maybe you don't dig the combat or maybe the pop-in gets you down, but the overall package of an endearing story, outstanding score, great performances and fun gameplay should put this title on the top of your holiday wishlist.
    This game is one of the most immersive gaming experiences I've had this year, and it's definitely a great reason to own a PS3. The mix of platforming and gunplay worked really well and left me craving the next title in the series.
  3. By starting with a great control and camera system, building on that with excellent combat and a wonderful spin on Ico's platform adventuring, and then topping it off with a decent storyline, Naughty Dog has cooked up one of the most relentlessly entertaining, fat-free games to emerge in ages. Topped off with the most stunning use of the PS3's underused technical prowess yet, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is, for my money, the first must-have PlayStation 3 title.