• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Nov 4, 2008
  • Also On: PC
8.7

1. Aug 17, 2010
    A stratagy RPG with a new updated combat system that works amazingly well... SIGHN ME UP!!! wow SEGA is back to making good games again House of the dead 4 , MadWorld and now this . if you are stratagy RPG fan this is a must buy . this is the closest thing it seems we are gona get to a new shining force game that doesnt suck from sega (shining force 1-3 amazing shinign force ex and neoA stratagy RPG with a new updated combat system that works amazingly well... SIGHN ME UP!!! wow SEGA is back to making good games again House of the dead 4 , MadWorld and now this . if you are stratagy RPG fan this is a must buy . this is the closest thing it seems we are gona get to a new shining force game that doesnt suck from sega (shining force 1-3 amazing shinign force ex and neo HORRID!) this is what id want a updated SRPG to look like .im not a huge fan of cell shaded graphice but if you are gona make a anime style SRPG then the graphics fit perfectly . the EXP and LVL up system wroks perfectly so you never have to worry about charicters getting to far ahead of others with its new exp distrabution set up . you decide who gets what exp . the story takes about 20-30 hours to complete depending on if you do every thing or just try to fly through the game which meets my standers for gameplay time to beat. i only wish they added trophys to this because this is the kinda game id want to 100% . the story is very entertaining the voice acting is pretty good if you like anime style voice acting which i do. about the only bad thing isn the enimy AI now it has a few moments where it just does really stupid things almost like its trying to give you the win . i dont know if this was a attempt at sega to try to make the game more accesable to newer gamers or they just screwed up. a diffuculty system woulda been nice for more VET gamers of this style of game . other then that i love every thing els about this game . Stratagy RPG's are a rare game to get released and to see this game hit the ps3 from sega makes me smile. i can only hope this pushed sega to make a new shining force game. Expand
  2. Oct 26, 2010
    My favorite game since Persona 3, this game is unbelievable. An extraordinary and revolutionary battle system combined with an absolutely beautiful story, this game is not to be missed by any JRPG fan at all.
  3. Dec 23, 2011
    Sega has, historically, made some of the best lighthearted JRPGs. While growing up I was a huge fan of the Phantasy Star series of games, and have always lamented the fact that that specific portion of the genre seems to have disappeared after the creation of PS IV.

This game is, by my estimation, the closest thing to a true SMS/Genesis Phantasy Star game that we're going to get in this console generation, in the best way possible. This game tells the tale of a group of normal folks, thrust into a world conflict, and their struggle to overcome an invasion of their peaceful country. It is well written, the combat is well paced, and overall it is one of the best games I've played on PS3. After completing it the first time I started it over again, with the new game + option, and went through the effort of obtaining all of the hidden weapons, and companions possible. When you add in the DLC and all of the optional missions and challenges this game can easily occupy you for a few months. All in all it is an amazing effort from the Sega team, and is personally one of my favorite PS3 games. It's just a shame that the sequels were all PSP games, aimed at a less mature audience.
  4. Mar 16, 2012
    Beautifully innovative game gives players something to keep coming back to. The battle system is something reminiscent of tabletop roleplaying games like Warhammer 40k, but not over-complicated. Challenging and engaging, this game has it all! Even if anime-style graphics are a turn-off, I'd encourage anyone to at least rent this game, or play the demo. This game is, if nothing else, ONE OF A KIND!
  5. Aug 20, 2010
    The most innovative SRPG I've played...Let's just say that if you are a fan of the genre, this is the PS3's killer app that you can't get anywhere else.
  6. Aug 23, 2010
    I just started playing this game few weeks ago and right now i'm in chapter 17.Almost the end i guess,damn i must say this is 1 of the best RPG i have ever played.If you like Strategy and RPG element.Go for this without a doubt.The graphics is unique,the game is hard (not so hard if you know how to play properly and use your brain).Although they are not trophies and online play.The gameI just started playing this game few weeks ago and right now i'm in chapter 17.Almost the end i guess,damn i must say this is 1 of the best RPG i have ever played.If you like Strategy and RPG element.Go for this without a doubt.The graphics is unique,the game is hard (not so hard if you know how to play properly and use your brain).Although they are not trophies and online play.The game itself can drag you for more then 25-30hours !!!!!!! Expand
  7. Sep 15, 2010
    Definitely one of the best games I have played in a long time. The graphics are superb and the story, captivating. Sega have done a great job of refreshing the turn-based strategy genre but the package should be considered as a whole as the actual engine does not add so much new really to other turn-based strategy games such as Warhammer 40k Squad Command.

I have rated the game so highly

I have rated the game so highly as the atmosphere is compelling and I didn't want the game to finish!
  8. Oct 7, 2010
    While it's not perfect Valkyria Chronicles is certainly nothing less then a fantastic game. The excellent story is very character focused which draws you into the world and creates attachment to and empathy for the main cast. The visuals are absolutely gorgeous (especially if your fond of anime/manga) and the score is enjoyable as well. The combat looks complicated at first but is easy toWhile it's not perfect Valkyria Chronicles is certainly nothing less then a fantastic game. The excellent story is very character focused which draws you into the world and creates attachment to and empathy for the main cast. The visuals are absolutely gorgeous (especially if your fond of anime/manga) and the score is enjoyable as well. The combat looks complicated at first but is easy to learn and leads to great battle sequences. There are some minor camera issues when your in tight quarters, and an element of chance comes into play during combat that can be frustrating at times but these minor faults are nothing considering the quality of every aspect of this game. Expand
  9. Nov 16, 2010
    I grabbed this game not knowing what to expect. The story and presentation were good so that is a plus. A good game if you enjoy strategy RPGs. I myself don't see myself as much a fan of the genre but I can say this is one of the best within it.
  10. Oct 25, 2010
    What a wonderful game! How I wish more games came out that were so smart and innovative... A little turn based RPG using these ideas would make me really happy!
  11. Oct 26, 2010
    Without question, my favorite PS3 title ever. All turn-based tactical RPGs should look to this game as the next-gen model. In fact, as I'm writing this review two years after the game's release, I wonder why I have yet to see a single copycat. The only way I could love this game more would be if they were to take the same combat system and use it in a fantasy setting. But it's not justWithout question, my favorite PS3 title ever. All turn-based tactical RPGs should look to this game as the next-gen model. In fact, as I'm writing this review two years after the game's release, I wonder why I have yet to see a single copycat. The only way I could love this game more would be if they were to take the same combat system and use it in a fantasy setting. But it's not just the combat I love -- the characters are realistic and lovable (or hate-able), and the story is absolutely brilliant. There's a song in the middle that makes me bawl my eyes out every time. Everyone should play this game! Expand
  12. Jan 4, 2011
    I really want to give this game a rating of 10 because the technicality level that this game possesses is really something that the developers should be proud of. The most notable mechanics about this game would have to be the mass array of special abilities each character has, how well they work with other characters, troop placement, weapon selection and understanding how your map works.I really want to give this game a rating of 10 because the technicality level that this game possesses is really something that the developers should be proud of. The most notable mechanics about this game would have to be the mass array of special abilities each character has, how well they work with other characters, troop placement, weapon selection and understanding how your map works. I think I may have done maybe one or two maps where I've nailed it on the first go, so it's no surprise when I'm sitting there for an hour or so trying to finish the same map over and over again. If you're into that turn based "position is everything" type of game, then definitely get this one. I do have one main gripe however - the storyline. Too long and long winded. I mean, it's nice how it's fully voiced, but they just go on and on with the talking and the relationship building....it doesn't even make sense in parts of the story line and then by the time you manage to reach an actual battle, you have to turn off the game because you're so tired. If I was the type of person that skips the scenes I would probably give this game a higher rating. Expand
  13. Dec 8, 2011
    Missed this game when it came out originally but sure am glad I found it. Very fun and very well made. Wish more games could surprise me like this one.
  14. Feb 14, 2012
    This is by far my favorite original game (meaning: no sequel) for the Playstation 3. Everything about this game is adorable, the characters are interesting and loveable, the setting is gorgeous and unique, storyline highly immersing and beautifully written. This game is considered an RPG by many, I would consider it a tactical Action Adventure with some RPG elements such as characterThis is by far my favorite original game (meaning: no sequel) for the Playstation 3. Everything about this game is adorable, the characters are interesting and loveable, the setting is gorgeous and unique, storyline highly immersing and beautifully written. This game is considered an RPG by many, I would consider it a tactical Action Adventure with some RPG elements such as character classes and development of which. I have not seen another PS3 game (except MGS4) with such a high density in its atmosphere. You control a group of soldiers with different classes, such as scouts, snipers and shocktroopers that you can place freely in the battles that take place throughout the game. What starts out as a mission to defend their hometown, ends as a journey to save a whole continent. I have yet to play another PS3 game whose characters I loved more or whose gameplay and atmosphere had me more immersed. Expand
  15. Jun 2, 2012
    Waouh, i like the cartoon style. I didn´t get far in the game because of the AI, who was cheating a lot. It made me mad :-), so i stopped. But i think it deserve a nice 7
  16. Feb 7, 2013
    In an era of Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, or shooters being called Role Playing Games, Tactical RPG's from Japan look like if they were made for people of the 90's. Besides all the world against SEGA WOW, Valkyria Chronicles stands alone, as the best Tactical Role Playing Game I have ever played. With memorable characters, beautiful art style, epic story and amazing music, ValkyriaIn an era of Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, or shooters being called Role Playing Games, Tactical RPG's from Japan look like if they were made for people of the 90's. Besides all the world against SEGA WOW, Valkyria Chronicles stands alone, as the best Tactical Role Playing Game I have ever played. With memorable characters, beautiful art style, epic story and amazing music, Valkyria Chronicles stands as the best RPG of the current generation, the one known for its Shooters. "Tactical Adventure Third Person Shooter Role Playing Game", that's how we can call it. Yes, that intense this game is. Valkyria Chronicles showoffs of what it is done, and it is done of poor quality. Extracting great elements from RPGs, as well as amazing controls for battle, the game itself marks the revival of the JRPG's in general, and is clearly one of the most revolutionaries of the history. From Bruhl to Fouzen and Randgriz to Barious, the game tells us the story of a squad of the Gallian's Liberation Front, in their struggle to save the beloved country from the invader Empire, who, with their Emperor Maximillian, is seeking for the lance and power of an amcient civilization known as the Valkyria. The game is not predictable, I can ensure that, as the story twists are real unexpected. In brief, Valkyria Chronicles is the best RPG of the current generation. Just a few flaws on the moving units, as well as the issues with the Third Person perspective are remarkable, but beyond that, the game is fully enjoyable and likeable. Valkyria Chronicles, is by far, the best PlayStation 3 exclusive title, and a must-have game on the valuable collection of this system. Expand
  17. Nov 23, 2013
    Okay so my only major gripes with this game (it won't affect score) is that they allow you to enable to original japanese audio....but its unplayable this way. That is because they made it into an english version, and this is a heavily text based game. Is the english text a good translation of the Japanese dub? NO! Even if you can understand japanese, and read english this game is stillOkay so my only major gripes with this game (it won't affect score) is that they allow you to enable to original japanese audio....but its unplayable this way. That is because they made it into an english version, and this is a heavily text based game. Is the english text a good translation of the Japanese dub? NO! Even if you can understand japanese, and read english this game is still unplayable with jap dub. I mean it was nice that they included it, but if the english text translation is totally different from what they are saying there is no point. Enough said, the game has to be played in english. This is disappointing to me since I watched the anime in jap dub and really loved the character voices. That said, the english translation is great for what it is. With the exception of the fact that they now pronounce Alicia as Alysha....its top quality if you don't deal in foreign languages. They keep the spelling as Alicia and pronounce it as Alysha in the english...which doesn't make sense. Its pronounced Alicia in the jap dub....they changed it to americanize the damn thing which was stupid idea imo. The english nicknames they decided to use are also kind of lame. None of this is affecting my review okay....its a solid 9/10. It does something that many other games have failed at, it makes a rts work on a console.

First thing upon playing this game is, this isn't a real world simulator. It does what it does to work. It has its own gameplay rules. Its like a board game, you need to understand how things work. There isn't this intuitive sense of things where you can just run in and understand everything without practice and reading the rules. The dlc...her blue flame I would definitely pick up. I kind of wish they offered it all as a 10$ bundle. I've only gone through about half the dlc....the very hard mode is just plain suicidal. So if you really want a challenge it delivers. One of the dlc, enter the edy detachment is terribly short...which is disappointing given its cost. So its pick and choose if you want best value with the dlc.

I suggest reading the instruction manual. It's very important that you know that shock troopers have a 30 degree interception fire line of sight. in comparison scouts have a 50 degree line. So your shock troops isn't going to shoot at an enemy that is running toward it, unless it is within that 30 degree area it is facing. Its really important your troops are facing the right direction when you end your turn. Killing enemy troops on the enemy's turn is very important in the game. Snipers and lancers don't have intercepting fire...aka they won't return fire on approaching enemies. The game has a steep kind of learning curve. It isn't trying to be realistic, its trying to work as an rts on a console...and it works wonderfully.

So why not a 10? Cause the enemy ai isn't exactly stellar. I've yet to see an enemy engineer do any engineer work. Also there's no online component which is disappointing. Also no trophy component which....I don't get why they didn't. Adding trophies is good advertising if nothing else.

Lot of love and other stuff here. I played through the campaign twice thus far and its just as fun the second time around. I wish there was more content at the end of it though. The campaign only has 1 difficulty. Some of the missions are insanely difficult/infuriating your first time through, others not so much. Overall its not the most consistent difficulty curve but it offers the right level of challenge. A great game that you should play if you own a ps3. I wish the sequels would get ported to the ps3.
  18. Sep 21, 2014
    10/10 for me, but it certainly is a targeted audience game.
    Things I liked about the game (and why you may not) -
    Long sweeping story-line, there is tons of character development and relationship building throughout the game. If you're the kind of person that enjoys "oh hey I just met you now we're in love forever so can we get on with the game-play?" story-lines this isn't for you.
    10/10 for me, but it certainly is a targeted audience game.
    Things I liked about the game (and why you may not) -

Difficulty - not terribly unforgiving as a strategy game, but probably one of the more difficult ones I've seen in the united states. Don't enter this game unprepared or expecting to be able to brute force / rush your way through any of the levels. Be aware that the pace is made for those who like strategy games, not the traditional warfare (ex. cod) type of game-play, so this game may seem very slow paced to new players to the field.

Disadvantage (part of difficulty) - Unlike most games you'll see in america where you're a god and the enemy is laughable all throughout the game, most of the time the enemies units in this game have superior abilities, maneuverability, and firepower compared to your unites. This means you actually have to plan out and outsmart the AI in order to beat the game.

Team Design - You can change the balance of units in your team so that you can appropriately plan for the mission. This means that even with the best strategy in the battle, you may not have a chance without bringing the right type of units. The types of units available range from scouts, to anti-tank, to snipers and all have different abilities and controls.

Overall the game-play, story-line, and difficulty level came together to make a spectacular game. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I have.
  19. Oct 10, 2011
    After getting a brand new PS3, this game was on my hunting list for must own PS3 games since I have played it before. Damn, it is still good as I remember it. Though I do have a problem with its anime like storytelling, the story itself is engaging enough and the characters, though completely anime cliche ridden, are very likable. Finishing up with the story of the game, the gameplayAfter getting a brand new PS3, this game was on my hunting list for must own PS3 games since I have played it before. Damn, it is still good as I remember it. Though I do have a problem with its anime like storytelling, the story itself is engaging enough and the characters, though completely anime cliche ridden, are very likable. Finishing up with the story of the game, the gameplay itself is the main reason why this game is great. The easy to learn but hard to master strategy based RPG gameplay is just so intense and so enjoyable to play. There are many variables and so many options on how to use your squad to win a battle. This is one of the best games I have played on the PS3 by a mile and if you love strategy and RPG, get it. Expand
  20. Mar 25, 2011
    The main cast of characters are a memorable group with unique personalities and a decent amount of development. The supporting cast is large and varied and each one has a reasonable amount of backstory to them too. Moreover the group as a whole becomes really memorable, as you pick and choose characters that you like and that work well together thanks to the great potential system, theyThe main cast of characters are a memorable group with unique personalities and a decent amount of development. The supporting cast is large and varied and each one has a reasonable amount of backstory to them too. Moreover the group as a whole becomes really memorable, as you pick and choose characters that you like and that work well together thanks to the great potential system, they bond together and will stick in your mind as Squad 7.

The story itself is very enjoyable, a mix of romance, fantasy, war and racial tensions which draws many parralells with the real conflict of world war 2, overall it's a wonderful breath of fresh air and a much needed break from the myriad flavours of power fantasy.

The gameplay system is great and really brought the SRPG genre along leaps and bounds. It becomes really enjoyable 1/4 of the way into the game when it starts throwing immense set pieces into the mix.

The anime artsyle really looks great while at the same time it remains down to earth and not too garish.

The bottom line is this is a must have game
  21. Nov 16, 2010
    One can only pray they make a sequel for the PS3. An absolute joy to play. If only they took advantage of the board game-ish feel and made a multiplayer aspect...
  22. Sep 21, 2011
    This is by far the best SRPG I have ever played. The unique realtime combat system is excellent and the wonderfull art, interesting storyline, well written dialogue and supurb soundtrack create a truely charming atmosphere.
  23. Feb 28, 2011
    The only reason I gave it a 9 is because it shouldn't be PS3 exclusive as it's a great game!

The graphics are original thanks to the CANVAS engine, the gameplay is original (as far as I know) and the story reflects some parts of our European history. The only reason why I think this is a 16+ game is because of the one curse word and the death animation of a character but I'd say even teenagers could accept the facts of what happened in the war and enjoy a somewhat light hearted take on the subject.

Anyway, the experience is unique and even has the option to replay on Hard Mode for the serious games as well as DLC if you think it ends there.

As for controls, they are really good, no input lag, easy to get into (not if you payed the sequel of course) and feels natural. Overall, if you want a war game that doesn't look too serious yet take some of the things from what happened in our own history, this game tells a great alternate take and feels like it puts on a cutesy manga touch to it without being too similar to the others you may have watched. At a low price you have no excuse to experience this if you have a PS3!
  24. Dec 30, 2012
    I was honestly surprised when I bought this game, especially since I fail miserably at tactical games, but this game was a huge surprise in both gameplay and difficulty. The game mixes elements of tactics (you move characters on a map), with rpg elements (you gain exp, power up stuff, gather members), and also elements of a shooter (you go into third person mode when you have to shoot).I was honestly surprised when I bought this game, especially since I fail miserably at tactical games, but this game was a huge surprise in both gameplay and difficulty. The game mixes elements of tactics (you move characters on a map), with rpg elements (you gain exp, power up stuff, gather members), and also elements of a shooter (you go into third person mode when you have to shoot). But the battle aren't the only good thing: characters and the setup are fantastic too, set in an alternative europe with different beliefs, but at the same time similar to the real europe, making us feel comfortable with the setting but still being able to tell new things. I haven't completely finished it yet but the game is luckily very versatile and, even if it's sometimes cheating, it's a good game and really pays off your dedication. But even then I do have some big complains about this game, and one of them is the classes. First off, I did love the fact that you don't believe your members by themselves, but they level up characters that are all in class, using the experience gained from battles (and skirmishes, which are the random battles of the game): this easily kills the constant grinding for leveling each character because you'll just level all characters from a certain class....but few classes are extremely and completely hard to use properly, making them worthless, like the shocktroopers and the lancers (your basic soldier and rocket launchers). Both these classes are used only in few moments, but because of their EXTREME slowness, they won't be able to be of any use when you're a lot forward into the camp or when you need proper action, leaving the main job to scouts (weaker, but much more mobile and can kill pretty good, if you aim to the head), engineers (weaker scouts, but they can repair the tank, replenish ammo, have more bombs, have good mobility and their weapon is the same as the scouts), and even snipers (they're even slower than shocktroopers and lancers....but they can 1-shot enemies from far, making them a must). Even your tank is better, even if slow, because it can kill everyone on the battlefield and only explosives and rockets can hurt him. In the end, even if lancers are good against tanks, making them a LITTLE more useful than the shocktroopers, these ones are and will remain a defensive type of soldier, which is a bit of disappointment considering their huge amount of damage they can do. Too bad, this issue would have been fixed if your tank could move them as a transport. Another big problem also, is the enemy that, even if sometimes acting as a random, they can shoot you more precisely than a sniper at times (a tank was able to destroy a group of soldier from almost the other side of the map, and a soldier was able to shoot me through the bridge rails). Luckily the enemy will still act randomly and won't be a big of an issue, but if you're not careful your group will perish from their inhuman aiming. And third...the game randomly ramps up in difficulty during fights. The biggest examples were the first battles of the game, where I was supposed to use the tank to fight back...but the tank wouldn't arrive until I was almost dead (and luckily I managed to pass the mission just in time). Another big example was when I was fighting the enemy, everything was doing fine, then...an unspotted tank came in, and destroyed my camp, and almost failed the mission (at least the game told me to bring some lancers), without mentioning a boss tank could almost 3 shot me even with full defensive upgrades available. As I said, I haven't completed the game, but these are some small examples of how the game will tease you, and it can be a problem because, if you don't act on time, you might fail and restart the game, in order to make a proper group (thus, becoming a trial and error game). I do like this game though, despite the flaws, because of the amazing amount of details they've put on anything, like soldier's backstories, weapons and tank upgrades, well thought level up system, and a detailed story with a well balanced roster of character (balanced, because they all are the main characters, in the end), and it really saddens me that this game didn't have a good popularity, because it deserved a proper success and, unfortunely, it showed how good games and well thought games can fail because of poor marketing (Okami on the ps2 is the prime example). If you ever find this game, I'd highly suggest to give it a try, because I did the mistake of following bad reviews (mentioning that it was either hard as hell, or badly programmed), and only now I recovered my mistake. Worth trying, especially because it might be cheap, and good games on the ps3 are still a rare sight to spot. Expand
  25. May 23, 2011
    I can honestly say i didn't like this game at all when I first bought it, but as time went it grew on me. The game looks interesting, and streams beautifully on the PS3. The battle system is interesting,but most of all I loved the fact that you could chose your units fo battle, and as a plus they each feature bio to show there own story. Take it from me, you need to get this game, and atI can honestly say i didn't like this game at all when I first bought it, but as time went it grew on me. The game looks interesting, and streams beautifully on the PS3. The battle system is interesting,but most of all I loved the fact that you could chose your units fo battle, and as a plus they each feature bio to show there own story. Take it from me, you need to get this game, and at its reduced price its worth it. Expand
  26. May 25, 2011
    This is a fantastic game. I picked it up about a year after it came out and wish I got it way back. If you love anime, strategy RPGs, or even just JRPGs you will most likely enjoy this game. Tons of content and a full story that never drags or seems dull. The combat system is the most fun Ive had in a turn based system. Its as close to a video game version of warhammer tabletop. DoThis is a fantastic game. I picked it up about a year after it came out and wish I got it way back. If you love anime, strategy RPGs, or even just JRPGs you will most likely enjoy this game. Tons of content and a full story that never drags or seems dull. The combat system is the most fun Ive had in a turn based system. Its as close to a video game version of warhammer tabletop. Do yourself a favor and check it out. Expand
  27. Aug 23, 2014
    This one goes on the pile with Resonance of Fate; a ridiculously good, unique game with nothing else out there quite like it in both appearance and execution. One part visual novel, turn-based strategy and JRPG, there just isn't enough time in the day to play this one.
  28. Sep 30, 2011
    Quite possible one of the best games on the Playstation 3, great story, art, music and gameplay. You'll keep trying to do every mission without losing any of the militia. 9/10
  29. Aug 26, 2013
    Simply outstanding... Timeless graphics/presentation, superb and innovative gameplay, and a well told mature story are only a few reasons to love this game. It mixes so many genres together in a euphoric blend of rpg and strategy that anyone can pick up and love. I can't think of any faults to this masterpiece, go out and get it already!
  30. Aug 25, 2012
    Very good game, it may look simple but it has much to offer. Every mission in the game can last hours or it can last a few minutes if you know the tricks. Graphics is beautiful and story is very interesting. I must say, this is one of the best games I have ever played and I strongly recommend to PS3 owners.
  31. May 19, 2012
    One of the best games I've ever played!
    Great story, it is an anime-game (Game came first) and a very well working combination of RTS-RPG.
    If you don't like RTS & RPG don't play this game
  32. Jul 26, 2012
    Video game master piece. the game is completely stunning and runs on SAGAs canvas engine which makes every moment of the game looks stunning. The story is great to filled with characters that have an anime style that doesn't use to much of the anime stereotypes. the story line is set around the invasion of the nation Gallia with other sub plots being winded into the main plot. The games aVideo game master piece. the game is completely stunning and runs on SAGAs canvas engine which makes every moment of the game looks stunning. The story is great to filled with characters that have an anime style that doesn't use to much of the anime stereotypes. the story line is set around the invasion of the nation Gallia with other sub plots being winded into the main plot. The games a must buy for any RPG fan and if you have to buy a PS3 just to play this amazing game. just writing this review makes me want to play it. Expand
  33. Dec 29, 2013
    My first entry to the series was VC2 on PSP, I loved it, so I was glad to put my hands on this PS3 exclusive later. I must say, that the game is a real Gem. It has beautiful and stylish cell-shaded graphics, a story with lots of touching moments, memorable characters with a top-notch voice acting, unique and fun tactical battle system. The game is pretty hard at times, but it's worth it.My first entry to the series was VC2 on PSP, I loved it, so I was glad to put my hands on this PS3 exclusive later. I must say, that the game is a real Gem. It has beautiful and stylish cell-shaded graphics, a story with lots of touching moments, memorable characters with a top-notch voice acting, unique and fun tactical battle system. The game is pretty hard at times, but it's worth it. One of the best games I've ever played. Expand
  34. Jan 6, 2013
    A great game, both gameplay wise and story wise. The characters capture you instantly, so whenever something bad happens, you truly feel sorry. The combat is turn based in a way, but it's always satisfying to take out an enemy to the very end... and the game isn't short either, it took me over 60 hours to complete. There isn't much to do besides the main story, but it's always exciting toA great game, both gameplay wise and story wise. The characters capture you instantly, so whenever something bad happens, you truly feel sorry. The combat is turn based in a way, but it's always satisfying to take out an enemy to the very end... and the game isn't short either, it took me over 60 hours to complete. There isn't much to do besides the main story, but it's always exciting to get the occasional side quest/mission and learn more about each character. Expand
  35. Feb 13, 2013
    One of the best games of all time, certainly the best game for PS3. Beautiful story, vivid characters, humor, drama everything is here and with all balanced enough of movies and gaming, which is converted to Hard Mode hardcore tactical problems. Beautiful visual style, excellent musical accompaniment a long time since I felt such euphoria of the game!
  36. Nov 7, 2013
    Goods
    - VERY engaging story
    - VERY engaging game play
    - Missions are difficult yet very reward which makes you want more
    - Good characters

Bads
    - Sometimes you have a better CHANCE of hitting someone at 1% than at 99%

Extras
    - Last boss is extremely annoying so be prepared !
    - Highly recommended for those who like tactical strategy!!
  37. Nov 8, 2014
    Valkyria Chronicles es uno de los juegos desconocidos de la generación pasada, el cual pertenece a la élite de los mejores J-RPG tácticos, desarrollado y publicado por SEGA en exclusiva para PS3, el cual salio el 31 de octubre en Europa y el 4 de Noviembre en Norte América del 2008. El diseño del juego cuenta con un motor gráfico llamado SEGA CANVAS, ofreciendo al título una de las mejoresValkyria Chronicles es uno de los juegos desconocidos de la generación pasada, el cual pertenece a la élite de los mejores J-RPG tácticos, desarrollado y publicado por SEGA en exclusiva para PS3, el cual salio el 31 de octubre en Europa y el 4 de Noviembre en Norte América del 2008. El diseño del juego cuenta con un motor gráfico llamado SEGA CANVAS, ofreciendo al título una de las mejores características con ese Cel Shading tipo acuarela. (me encanta su apariencia)Sobre el idioma se puede seleccionar como lenguaje el Japones o Ingles con la opción de habilitar o no los subtitulos en ingles, siendo este uno de los puntos negativos del juego.

Es un título con una historia interesante, el nivel de juego es muy fresco en el genero, que ofrecerá un reto en cada misión, llenos de personajes con carisma muy agradable unos y otros caerán mal, no solo con los principales también con los secundarios y los reclutas que iras conociendo en el avanzar de cada misión, siendo algunos personajes los del juego Skies of Arcadia, todos con su propia personalidad y por eso uno siempre tendrá ese extremo cuidado para que, ese personaje con quien hayas simpatizado no caiga en combate. (aunque no afecta en nada, siempre regresaran)Un juego que invita a jugarlo repetidamente, una vez que hayas superado el modo principal para mejorar lo ya hecho y conseguir todas las medallas del juego (vienen siendo los trofeos, ya que no tiene ese sistema) cuenta con un sistema de valoración de rangos desde la D el mas bajo hasta la A la valoración mas alta y tiene la posibilidad de otro modo de juego llamado Batalla Libre o Skirsmish donde existe la selección de dificultad, ya que en el Modo Historia solo hay una dificultad predeterminada.

Respecto al sistema del juego, se basa en combate por turnos, en vivo y por zonas llamado en ingles BLiTZ, en plena batalla habrán dos modos de juego, el modo Comando que nos dará una perspectiva aérea sobre un mapa táctico donde visualizaremos las unidades aliadas y enemigas (esta ultima, si nuestros soldados tienen visión sobre el enemigo), al seleccionar una unidad aliada entraremos al modo Acción, donde tendremos una visual de nuestro soldado en tercera persona, en ese modo todo transcurre en tiempo real, con la ventaja que solo tu soldado tendrá la posibilidad de moverse en el campo de batalla dependiendo de la distancia a recorrer por la barra AP (Action Points) pero puede ser atacado por el enemigo si llegan a tener visión sobre tú unidad e igual cuando llega el turno del enemigo, no podrás mover ninguna unidad tuya pero, dispararan automáticamente si la unidad enemiga pasa por la visual de tu soldado, dando así un ''equilibrio'' entre turnos. (si llegan a jugarlo sabrán el por que de las comillas)

Es un juego que se desarrolla en una Europa ficticia del año 1935 cuando la paz había acabado, iniciando la segunda Guerra Europea entre la Federación Atlántica y la Alianza Europea Imperial, donde los países vecinos sufrirían las consecuencias de la misma, en medio del conflicto de esas dos grandes potencias esta el país de Gallia donde conoceremos a nuestros protagonistas y dará comienzo la aventura del juego.a
  38. Sep 10, 2014
    An epic strategic rpg. The story is well written with twists and a mix of sad and joyful moments. It has one of the saddest moments in video game history for me. The characters are amazing. They all fell like they were real and alive. The graphics are unique. The game looks like a water colour painting. The soundtrack is fitting. The gameplay is unique and refreshing. Overall the game isAn epic strategic rpg. The story is well written with twists and a mix of sad and joyful moments. It has one of the saddest moments in video game history for me. The characters are amazing. They all fell like they were real and alive. The graphics are unique. The game looks like a water colour painting. The soundtrack is fitting. The gameplay is unique and refreshing. Overall the game is impressive and an insider tip for all rpg and strategic game fans. Expand
  39. Sep 18, 2014
    This game is only average at best. The A.I. always seems to overpower you no matter what level you are at and they get to move twice as far on the map compared to your own army. They tend to cheat and destroy your tank after 2 hits with their own tank or lancers. When you try to aim with your own tanks the aiming is very inaccurate unless you are at point blank range. Also when you saveThis game is only average at best. The A.I. always seems to overpower you no matter what level you are at and they get to move twice as far on the map compared to your own army. They tend to cheat and destroy your tank after 2 hits with their own tank or lancers. When you try to aim with your own tanks the aiming is very inaccurate unless you are at point blank range. Also when you save the game during a level and lose the fight when happens far too often, the game suffers from slowdown when you reload your save file. It takes a long time just to retry the stages. Potentials also don't seem to help that much. Expand
  40. Nov 4, 2014
    A beautiful Action-Strategy hybrid, with charming artistic-style & an endearing story.

Game-play is satisfyingly deep & enjoyable, and I adore the 3rd-person presentation.

Plot & Characters can be a bit melodramatic, but as a whole here is a well-crafted, satisfying sRPG, with a very-unique A/V presentation. 9/10

Valkyria Chronicles shatters all strategy RPG conventions.
  2. The story is a real hoot. [Dec 2008, p.78]
  3. Make no mistake, Valkyria Chronicles is a really, really, really good tactical RPG, and fans of the genre should pick it up without delay, but beneath the inviting exterior and thoughtfully designed battle system lies a game with a few too many clunky inconsistencies which directly impact the strategic heart of the experience.