7.5

1. Aug 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. White Knight Chronicles is a fun little title as far as the battle and character building goes. It's fun to create combos, watch them work (or fail), and mess around with your customized character to your hearts content. I wanted really hard to give this game a higher score but there were so many things that lagged down the fun gameplay that just couldn't be saved. I'll save the worst for last.

The gameplay itself I find to be rather fun. I enjoy the combat mechanics for the character you do control and like to pick all sorts of weapons eventually getting to master a good bit of the many weapons available. I also enjoy shoving a cape on my back and running around and pretending to be Batman...with a greatsword...and E sized breasts. Of course while you're over there chopping enemies to pieces the companion AI has very little merits. They just stand there and hash out their weakest attacks. Pretty much they're there to heal you since they seem to stink really bad at combat. The gameplay and combat however are what dragged this game to a six.

The story is unoriginal, bland, boring, and overall horribly cliche. I can't think of a more overused story then...princess gets kidnapped who has special powers go save her. That is the gist of almost every lame fantasy game ever made. The story is so lazily written, so lousy that I found myself grunting in physical agony as they dished out lame sub-plot after lame sub-plot. The story is bad...really bad, not to mention just some of the words for those ancient civilizations made me laugh because they were such dumb sounding words. I will not give it's story any merits. It sucks...plain and simple.

Now the graphics and surroundings are alright as far as the PS3 is concerned. Not great, but not terrible, but with my favorite RPG of all time being Wild Arms...I don't think graphics count. What does count is the fact that they looks semi-human mixed with anime which just kind of weirds me out. Leonard's eyeballs are the size of tennis balls yet his head is normal sized. It just looks awkward.

As for music...I forgot it had any.

Now on to the absolute worst part of the game. The thing that drug it down so far on the score meter. I could have given it an 8 even past all of the terrible writing and generic and boring storyline if it weren't for the characters. We start with the master dork himself, Leonard.

Leonard is about as absolutely lame, cookie-cutter, and retarded as it gets. He has a single track mind to save a girl he met all of ten minutes ago because he briefly met her for all of thirty seconds in his past. This is as cliche as it gets. He is a walking, talking, mouth-breathing, useless idiot. His dialogue makes you want to kill him every time he opens his stupid mouth since all it consists of is him whining over the princess who he's known for all of ten minutes. And if the creep isn't obsessing over the princess he's just being all around dumb. His supreme overconfidence makes Cloud look a go-getter and Link a conversationalist. Now we move onto dork number two, Caesar.

Caesar is that guy who thinks he's cool. The guy who thinks he's so cool that when he wakes up his stupid dreadlocks actually look cool, and not only to him but to everyone around him. With his mind-numbing dialogue, his stupid face, and his cocky attitude he almost makes me want to barf. Not to mention a few other dumb things about him...like dragonsight. Because dragons can totally see into the hearts of men. Moron. I can't stand him or Leonard, and when you put them together it's a ticket to disaster.

Then we've got Yulie...who tags along. That's all on her.

Kara, and Eldore were about the only people I liked. Eldore was the wise, and strong magician who could still best you in a swordfight or at a match of wits, and Kara was just a badass who took little crap from anyone. They alone could not help my brain recover from the overload from Leonard and Caesar...also the princess is the super generic good girl with zero personality.

In the end the game was ruined not by terrible storyline, but by it's god awful characters. The characters were so bad that I found myself straining just to finish the game. The giant knight was kind of cool...if not useless, and the gameplay was fun. However nothing could ever save it from Leonard or Caesar.

On a side note...who names their main character Leonard? That's like naming them Gunther, or Melvin, or Norman, or...Leonard.
  2. Jun 18, 2014
    Worst level design ever, everything made to make you wander around for absolutly no reason. Plot is dumb and naive, filled with anime cliche and starnge decisions of main characters.
  3. Jun 7, 2014
    This game had a lot of potential. It had decent and pretty graphics, a nice skills system and really interesting combat. But I couldn't get over just how horrible the storyline is. It's like the writing department wanted to see how many cliques they could cram into it! And the main characters are just so, so stupid!!! The princess manages to get herself kidnap over and over, and the mainThis game had a lot of potential. It had decent and pretty graphics, a nice skills system and really interesting combat. But I couldn't get over just how horrible the storyline is. It's like the writing department wanted to see how many cliques they could cram into it! And the main characters are just so, so stupid!!! The princess manages to get herself kidnap over and over, and the main character has to go from place to place following her kidnappers...and the whole thing is just cringe worthy. Expand
  4. Dec 19, 2013
    Get's tiring really really fast. It's extremely repetitive. The graphics are bad but the world design doesn't work either. The characters and story never got to me, but that's could just be me.
  5. Apr 4, 2012
    This could've been a lot better, especially since it's created by Level 5, who made some of the best JRPG's on the PS2. The story is very basic, the graphics are just okay and combat can become tedious and boring. But the character creation and the online quests are fun. Buy this for the multiplayer, some people still play it a lot. But don't expect much from the single-player mode.
  6. Nov 19, 2011
    This a perfect RPG, of couse, not sooo innovative, but it don't matter, the game is a amazing job from L5 and has minimal details in all things. Oh man, the party and the usic is sooooooo beautiful.
  7. Sep 28, 2011
    It's very hard for me to understand what anyone can like about this game. Combat is slow, tedious and non-strategic, you basically spend all the time pressing X controlling your one guy. Story is a lame collecting of 90's clichés, characters are flat and boring. But combat is really the worse, and there's a lot of it : it's like paying FFXII but controlling only one characterIt's very hard for me to understand what anyone can like about this game. Combat is slow, tedious and non-strategic, you basically spend all the time pressing X controlling your one guy. Story is a lame collecting of 90's clichés, characters are flat and boring. But combat is really the worse, and there's a lot of it : it's like paying FFXII but controlling only one character and having only 2 or 3 different skills. There is a big online community and playing the game online is free - so that may be a plus for some. But online play is little more than farming the same bosses over and over by pressing X and sometimes healing... Expand
  8. Sep 25, 2011
    im going to be honest here and say that this game was not very good in my opinion with a flawed battle system, poorly-told story and a number of technical issues. when i put this game in my system i was a little peeved to find out that the charachter that you labor over and make it look good isnt even the main charachter but i eventually got used to this and accepted it. the story i foundim going to be honest here and say that this game was not very good in my opinion with a flawed battle system, poorly-told story and a number of technical issues. when i put this game in my system i was a little peeved to find out that the charachter that you labor over and make it look good isnt even the main charachter but i eventually got used to this and accepted it. the story i found was very lack luster and didnt feel like there was much effort put into it and i never found myself actually caring what happens to the main characters i found myself thinking more of "comon i want to hear the fat villan talk" because i found he was the most enjoyable to watch although the story was bland the voice acting was pretty good so i will give them a plus for that. i also found the fighting system attrocious i didnt have a problem with having my attacks recharge but what i did have a problem with was the fact that i have to go right in close to attack but no matter how far away the ennemy is he always can hit you which means you have to play by the rules but the ennemies dont If your characters are forced to play by the rules but your enemies are not, this is called a "gameplay imbalance." and should not be a part of a game many people were expecting to be amazing. as if this wasnt bad enough there is also the awful pop-in that occurs not only in the game world but on the mini-map itself. The environments are usually free of this issue but there have been countless occasions where my characters will be running through a valley and suddenly a horde of monsters will pop into existence around my party. there is also the issue with the big suit of armor that leonard gets i love the fact that he can transform into that thing and it really helps when fighting certain enemies but Leonard is forced to revert back to human form once all the enemies in the immediate area have been defeated -- even if he has more than enough magic points to sustain the transformation. This can be aggravating when there are monsters visibly strolling around in the distance, but nothing can be done to prevent the reversion. this game also freezes everyonce and a while which is never a good thing. i dont understand how so many people have fallen in love with this game seeing as it has so many flaws in my opinion it would be best to just skip this one Expand
  9. Sep 13, 2011
    White Knight Chronicles is definitely an underrated game. The games takes your average "Save your everyday princess from a castle as a knight in shining armor" fairytale and pumps it up about four or five levels, the story itself is also very, very long and does not lose consistency. It starts out slow and proves to further entertain and unravel as you progress, it's wonderful. The overallWhite Knight Chronicles is definitely an underrated game. The games takes your average "Save your everyday princess from a castle as a knight in shining armor" fairytale and pumps it up about four or five levels, the story itself is also very, very long and does not lose consistency. It starts out slow and proves to further entertain and unravel as you progress, it's wonderful. The overall combat system could have used more innovation however, it wasn't as dynamic as it could have been. Leonard's 'White Knight" system also could have used more effectively. The scenery was also great and had a tight fit, I can't say it couldn't have been looser though. Overall, it's an amazing game. It certainly shouldn't disappoint any JRPG fans. Expand
  10. May 9, 2011
    Don't listen to the critic's reviews! I picked this game up recently after doing some research and its alot better then critics seem to think. The graphics aren't mind blowing but after all the brown and bloom games, the bright colours are refreshing. The combat is very fun and the character customisation is great. The story is half decent as well. My only complaint is that the lip sync isDon't listen to the critic's reviews! I picked this game up recently after doing some research and its alot better then critics seem to think. The graphics aren't mind blowing but after all the brown and bloom games, the bright colours are refreshing. The combat is very fun and the character customisation is great. The story is half decent as well. My only complaint is that the lip sync is terrible, but its easy to look over.
    TLDR: Go buy this game!
  11. Jan 25, 2011
    I had to wrestle to get through the 3 hours I put in this game. I don't understand any appeal to it. The graphics are pretty mediocre, if not bad for a next-gen game, the price tag is horrible (it's still at 69 euro in the stores here), the gameplay is boring and unclear (you get moves that cost less than later moves but are more powerful? They should have some way to show how strong yourI had to wrestle to get through the 3 hours I put in this game. I don't understand any appeal to it. The graphics are pretty mediocre, if not bad for a next-gen game, the price tag is horrible (it's still at 69 euro in the stores here), the gameplay is boring and unclear (you get moves that cost less than later moves but are more powerful? They should have some way to show how strong your individual moves are). Furthermore, you get to create a character and it turns out not to be the main character? You have to manually skip to your character if you want to play it, every single time and then it turns out it doesn't even get it's own suit-thingy. The only thing that stands out for this RPG is the fact that you can go online and do quests and go on this online forum thingy that's filled with people that can't write if their lives depended on it and are looking for online dates, honestly. Okay, I guess the graphics could be considered funny if you're realllly doing your best and the music isn't very annoying, but that's about the best you could say for this game and really, it wouldn't even deserve the 4 I'd give it. Expand
  12. Jan 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have to say I'm mystified by all the positive user reviews. This game is awful. The impressive scenery is its only saving grace. The character system is dull and rather limited -- every character seems to end up with many strengths and few or no weaknesses, which is the opposite of what should happen in a party-based game. The combat system is mediocre at best, with the timing of jumps being the only part that involves any skill. But the worst aspect by far is the TERRIBLE writing. I often found myself thinking it must have been written by a special-needs fifth-grader. Sorry for the spoiler, but get this: the princess gets kidnapped WHILE STANDING TEN FEET AWAY FROM HER BODYGUARDS no fewer than THREE times in the first half of the game. No joke, every time you get her back, the villain shows up again and grabs her while the heroes just stand there. It's beyond stupid. Compound that with generally weak and cliche dialogue, and you've got yourself one wretched piece of merchandise. Expand
  13. Oct 14, 2010
    I thoroughly enjoy this game. Its cutscene graphics aren't spectacular compared to today's standards, but the gameplay is great. There were a few glitches with the camera angles where I seemingly go from third person to first person view but there aren't any that take away from the game.
  14. Oct 6, 2010
    I really like this game. It looks to me like MMO experience, but without MMO subscription price. I get party of 4 to manage, so I can play around with different types of builds. I have armor and weapons to buy. I can play with my friends online. The graphics is good and world is interesting. It is not gray like many FPS today, but a full color palette. I like the basic game play, which II really like this game. It looks to me like MMO experience, but without MMO subscription price. I get party of 4 to manage, so I can play around with different types of builds. I have armor and weapons to buy. I can play with my friends online. The graphics is good and world is interesting. It is not gray like many FPS today, but a full color palette. I like the basic game play, which I consider to be semi-turn based. The story started well. There is really not much to complain about. It might be a bit on easy side, but considering that I may want to experiment with my builds I need some room for mistakes. Expand
  15. Sep 10, 2010
    Now this game may have received a lot of mixed reviews and even bad ones. But if you're a Level-5 and JRPG fan, this is a game you could enjoy. The visual graphics aren't the best but it does have beautiful scenery to enjoy. There are some flaws to the game such as being able to get hit from a distance but other than that game play is fun and enjoyable for RPG fans, music is GREAT, storyNow this game may have received a lot of mixed reviews and even bad ones. But if you're a Level-5 and JRPG fan, this is a game you could enjoy. The visual graphics aren't the best but it does have beautiful scenery to enjoy. There are some flaws to the game such as being able to get hit from a distance but other than that game play is fun and enjoyable for RPG fans, music is GREAT, story has a good twist and plot, great cast of characters and a good 50 hour game. Expand

1. White Knight Chronicles has several faulty elements, but the game is long (the original released in Japan a couple of years back was estimated at 100 hours – but it can be done in between 65 and 80) and the story is decently layered making for a nice bit of J-RPG gaming.
  2. White Knight Chronicles was a disappointment for me, especially coming from a quality developer like Level-5. Some of the studio’s trademark customization helps to give the game some legs, as does its hefty multiplayer component. However, for interesting combat, deep characters, and an engaging fantasy, I’d look elsewhere.
  3. The monsters may look interesting, but slaying beasts is way too easy in this forgettable role-playing game.