Contrast PlayStation 4

6.4

1. Feb 13, 2014
    If not for the weak controls and glitches that you will just get stuck in random situations, this a an class act for story telling.

Almost every scene are wonderfully crafted except for the last chapter was forcefully created for "dragging" with meaningless "platformings" and infamous glitchy box puzzles... (Good for you if you got thru with one try.)

Definite a worthy title of your time.
  2. Dec 15, 2013
    I liked the game... I've seen a lot of complaints about bugs but personally I haven't run into any. The game looks good, I liked the unique 2D-3D gameplay and most of all I liked the game setting and the vibe it was giving off. The puzzles are quite easy, some of em a bit frustrating at times but you should look at this game as more of a magical journey then just a game.
    If this is the
    If this is the worst game we'll get for free on PSplus, it'll be money well spent.
  3. Jan 3, 2014
    Beautiful atmosphere, enjoyable soundtrack, fun story. Yes, it's a bit repetitive and moving boxes onto switches feels like a bit of a cop out on some of the puzzles, but it's enjoyable.
  4. Mar 5, 2014
    I'll just get this out of the way first, Contrast has a beautiful atmosphere, soundtrack, and art style. Now on to the other things. Overall i felt the shadow play was pretty good and enjoyable. The puzzles were nice and fun while some were simple other required you to wrack your brain a little bit to figure out which was also nice. The story though somehow felt very incomplete i feel asI'll just get this out of the way first, Contrast has a beautiful atmosphere, soundtrack, and art style. Now on to the other things. Overall i felt the shadow play was pretty good and enjoyable. The puzzles were nice and fun while some were simple other required you to wrack your brain a little bit to figure out which was also nice. The story though somehow felt very incomplete i feel as if sequel or better yet a prequel to better explain what happened to the character you play as. The game was a bit buggy nothing game breaking but your character would bet stuck on things when she popped out of the shadows or when carrying something but again nothing game breaking. Overall i really liked the game it was the first thing i beat on my PS4 and i have to say i'm not disappointed. Expand
  5. Mar 28, 2014
    Contrast is a beautifully put together game from it's art style, 2d/3d game play to the music. The game has a good story and excellent voice over.

The game play is fun and inventive, the collection items are also fun to look for as there is some fantastic artwork to look at among those collectibles. All in all it is a charming game and well worth playing.
  6. Dec 21, 2013
    Game play is brilliant, inspiring I have never thought that shadows can be used like this puzzles are really good and the game story as the story progress secrets reveal this is thrilling.
  7. Nov 26, 2013
    The game has a very intriguing story that holds attention. The puzzles in the game leave some thought to be desired but they are a unique blend of the mechanics in the game. Overall the art style, music and immersiveness is quite good until you nail a bug. Haven't had anything game breaking thus far but it is a fun experiencing given the ps4's limited number of games.
  8. Dec 9, 2013
    It is a charming story, with some serious flaws in the physical game and repetitive puzzles. It is a very interesting concept, but I think that Compulsion Games could have done more.
  9. Dec 19, 2013
    A simply beautiful game for the price. Full of interesting puzzles, fantastic artwork, wonderful music, an engaging story, and somewhat above average acting.

GAME PLAY There is no fast action in this game, save for a few timely maneuvers that need to be made while solving puzzles. The whole game can be completed in 1-3 hours. The camera and controls can be quirky at times, causing

GAME PLAY
    There is no fast action in this game, save for a few timely maneuvers that need to be made while solving puzzles. The whole game can be completed in 1-3 hours. The camera and controls can be quirky at times, causing some slight annoyance; but I never encountered anything game-stopping or overly frustrating.

DIFFICULTY
    It's not until late in the game that some puzzles become slightly challenging; but only the ones in the first Act (out of 3 Acts) are pitifully obvious. I was able to find all collectibles except 2 on the first run through the game; and the 2 I missed were simply because I went somewhere that forced a scene/Act change before I thoroughly explored.

STORY
    The story is quite engaging, if (like me) you are attracted more to a story in a game than the actual game itself.

TALENT
    The voice talent in the game is pretty good; however some of the flow is quite sub-par. Primarily, this complaint is directed to fact that you basically do everything in this game, while the character you are aiding in the plot for the most part just tells you where to go and what she needs you to do next.

SUMMARY
    Pros: Artwork, Music, Story, Concept, Puzzles, Talent, Somewhat Easy
    Cons: Brevity, Control/Camera Glitches, Maybe Too Easy for Some, Little-to-No Replay Value
  10. Dec 29, 2013
    I found this game enjoyable. As a PS+ subscriber it was free but would have been worth the $15. The concept was new and unique. The puzzles aren't overly complicated and the story was well written. The game leaves you wanting a little more. It is relatively short and by the end you are just really getting into it. Overall the graphics were not up to "next gen" but not cheesy. GetI found this game enjoyable. As a PS+ subscriber it was free but would have been worth the $15. The concept was new and unique. The puzzles aren't overly complicated and the story was well written. The game leaves you wanting a little more. It is relatively short and by the end you are just really getting into it. Overall the graphics were not up to "next gen" but not cheesy. Get this if you would like a break from the same old kill smash burn of most games. Expand
  11. Jan 5, 2014
    I really enjoyed this game it was free for plus members, I take into account that it's an indie game there are a few glitches but this by no means make it unplayable. I feel that did a good job telling a story and added some really cool control elements to the game. Over all I had a lot of fun playing this game and that's what really matters.
  12. Jan 14, 2014
    Very cool and unique game, it was definitely worth getting for free with playstation plus. The story is very weird and it has some very weird environments but like I said that's what makes the game unique. This game is not for everybody though.
  13. Jan 27, 2014
    Though Contrast is offered as a free game for the PlayStation 4, I nearly didn't even take the time to install the game. I'm glad I eventually gave did.

At first (and second glance, even) Contrast seems like a game that has been done over and over, and in a way it is. It's essentially an adventure platformer, but with an original puzzle mechanic. To some extent there have been games in the past that have played with the idea of changing the perspective between a three-dimensional plane and a flat, 2D plane. Paper Mario first comes to mind. Contrast is a little different in that the world retains its 3D form while you transform into a shadow against a wall. Other shadows on walls then play the role of the platforms you must use to access what otherwise would be unreachable for your fleshy human form. This also makes for a few interesting puzzles where you have to control or move light sources around to cast the shadows to get you where you need to go.
    The puzzles aren't too difficult, though I did get hung up on one because I was not aware of something I could do when shifting in or out of a shadow. (I actually had to look up the solution- something I never do- and was a little perturbed when I found out my character had the ability to do something I didn't know I could do). This thing that I did not know was either not explained to me or I had somehow missed it when it was. In any case, most of the time the puzzles involved having to figure out how you would reach a part of the level or how you can get an object (ball or box) to a certain part of the level. Though the puzzle mechanic and the puzzles themselves were fairly interesting, this wasn't necessarily the best part of the game for me.

What I liked best about the game was the art direction. It's not too often that you find a game set in such a wonderful 1920's vaudevillian dreamscape. The world feels eerily vacant, dreary, yet with a whisper of magic and whimsy. The music gives the game most of its "life" since the dreamworld you traverse while playing the game is void of any characters. Only occasionally will a scene be played out during gameplay- between the shadows of characters, set against the backdrop of a walls to allow your shadow to access a certain area.

The majority of the story is told through cutscenes between puzzles/acts. The voiceover work isn't spectacular, but it fits the "story" well. The acting is a little hammy, which one would find very much in place in 1920's vaudeville.

The main distractions of the game are the somewhat clunky controls and that the game feels a little glitchy. I say that it "feels" a little glitchy in that there is nothing I came across that broke the game. Occasionally, I could shadow in and out of places that clearly weren't intended for me to do so (like finding myself standing on nothing, high up in the air against the wall, in human form ). I never got stuck anywhere, and I never was provided any advantage from the glitch, so it didn't really detract too much from the game.

Contrast is a little short, but it's understandably so, being a free game. Regardless of the brevity of the story and the fact that I'm not an avid, everyday gamer, it still so happens to be the only game that's come about in a few years that I've stuck with to the end. The game has a sliver of replayability in that after you beat the game, you can go back and play any of the levels to collect any items you have missed (there's not too many of them- 29 Luminaries, 26 Collectibles, 21 PSN trophies. You'll need the luminaires to progress in specific parts of the game (though you're not required to gather them all). The collectables aren't needed- they aren't anything special, nor do they really offer any revelation too significant to the story.

I give Contrast an 8/10 because it is a moody romp in a fantastic film noir-ish dreamworld. Though the controls and glitchiness sometimes keep you from enjoying the game fully for what it is, the game is unique enough with its puzzles and ambience to keep you coming back until you reach its ending, all too soon.

You may like Contrast if you liked:
    Tomb Raider: Underworld (for its enjoyable adventure and puzzles with somewhat inelegant, glitchy gameplay)
    BioShock: Infinite (for its surreal environments and early 20th century America vibe)
  14. Jul 15, 2014
    Contrast might not be as clever or challenging as it could have been, or even as it already believes itself to be. Fact is that the so called puzzles are rather easy and the hours of the game scarce. But what it does actually deliever is a beautiful and atmospheric adventure with a nice little message to all of its players.
  15. Jul 4, 2014
    77/100: Contrast is a fun indiegame which was available at the launch of the PlayStation 4. In the game, switching from the real world to shadow and the other way around is really fun. The story is nice enough and the controls are excellent. After you've completed the game it hasn't really a replay value anymore accept for collecting all of the collectibles. Overall a very good story but77/100: Contrast is a fun indiegame which was available at the launch of the PlayStation 4. In the game, switching from the real world to shadow and the other way around is really fun. The story is nice enough and the controls are excellent. After you've completed the game it hasn't really a replay value anymore accept for collecting all of the collectibles. Overall a very good story but almost no replay value But even though it is worth it to check it out! Expand
  16. Nov 21, 2013
    My first completed PS4 game. Nice style, voice acting, graphics and music. The controls aren't as bad as some reviews lead you to believe. The only problems I had encountered was switching into or out of a shadow while jumping, that's it.

Overall, a very good game especially for free with PS Plus that has a good story too for a puzzle game. I found it interesting all the way through and fun, which is the main thing.
  17. Nov 27, 2013
    Contrast is a beautiful, artistic, creative and has unique game play. The title had the potential to be an indie classic, but it is unpolished. I can't help but wonder if its release was rushed just so it could be part of the PS4 launch line up. Hopefully, the game will be patched to fix some of its issues. Nonetheless, I found the title enjoyable. I hope they make a more polished sequel.
  18. Nov 16, 2013
    I unique game with really great puzzles and a new and interesting style of game play. It's nice to have a game you can take your time with and not have to play at a blistering speed of impossible hand/eye coordination talents. My entire family has really enjoyed playing this game.
  19. Nov 18, 2013
    The only game out of the PS4's launch bundle that is worth downloading. It's a very original formula of platforming and puzzel solving that you'll adjust your shadows or time the shadow movement just right in order to progress. It has an ingaging storyline, set in the 1920s, that is told out in a "bioshock" formate that also blends in well with the dreamscape world that you areThe only game out of the PS4's launch bundle that is worth downloading. It's a very original formula of platforming and puzzel solving that you'll adjust your shadows or time the shadow movement just right in order to progress. It has an ingaging storyline, set in the 1920s, that is told out in a "bioshock" formate that also blends in well with the dreamscape world that you are interacting in. Graphics are up to date. looking excellent on my brand-new PS4, and the voice acting is very well done. Expand
  20. Nov 30, 2013
    Contrast is one of the first games to be made available to the Playstation 4 user-base (for free if you have Playstation Plus) and unlike most games at launch this one is not a sequel, a prequel or a game developed by a big third party developer. Its also in this reviewers opinion the best thing available for the console at this time.

The game itself is set during the 1920s in Paris

The game itself is set during the 1920s in Paris and follows the story of Didi and her attempts to get her parents back together after he apparently walked out on them. The player takes control of her imaginary friend Dawn as although Didi has a knack for being able to fix things, she is still just a little girl and doesn’t have the strength to break down doors, pick up heavy objects or turn into a shadow.
    This brings us neatly onto the games primary mechanic, the ability for Dawn to leap into her own shadow and navigate seemingly impossible jumps or unreachable platforms by jumping on the shadows of nearby objects. What is cleaver about this mechanic is that the majority of light sources in the game can be manipulated, so you find the shadow of a bin next to the shadow of a well and its too short, moving the light source back makes the bin's shadow grow longer and just like that, you can reach the platform. There are also some scenes in the game where two characters shadows will be conversing, and you as Dawn will have to become a shadow yourself and use their still moving images to climb previously unessable ledges or leap over great chasms. Every time you encounter this is just as impressive as the first.

The game has literally dozens of such problems along with some more traditional platforming and physics based puzzles and although challenging, the game never feels too hard or too easy always allowing progress to be made even if you only have enough time to play the game in small intervals. The narrative itself is split into chapters which is segmented further into smaller acts so there is always a natural stopping point just around the corner.

The games visuals channel a Tim Burton-esq look without going too over the top, the visuals are very style heavy and running on Unreal tech allows them to really pop. This isn’t something that could only be done on PS4, this game could easily have been done on a much less powerful console but its art style look with a heavy contrast between light, dark and the use of primary colour does make it a great looking game regardless.

The sound design is simply fantastic, the game's splash screen opens with a song that sounds like I was ripped straight from a nightclub of that era and the rest of the game follows suit. Much of the games soundtrack consists more of ambient background noise and only makes itself more obvious when you enter a themed area such as the circus or nightclub where Didi's father works. The voice work for the full cast of the game, even those who are only in a couple of scenes are way beyond what id expect from and indie game which is good because Dawn and Didi are the only characters you can actually see, everyone else are represented as shadows so having an excellent voice cast really helps us in learning who the characters are and what motivates them.

I was extremely impressed with this game, the attention to detail and level of polish is way beyond what im used to seeing on indie games and if this is the future of this kind of game on PS4 then I am excited to see what else pops up on the service. The game has a very personal tale to tell and a unique way of doing it, if I had to complain about anything it would be the length as I was able to get through the full game with all trophy’s unlocked in just under 4 hours. The ending itself although having a great plot twist, comes very suddenly and the credits roll straight after that. I feel the game could maybe have done with an extra hour or so but what is there is of such high quality already that perhaps padding it out would have been a poor move.

There are some small glitches when dropping boxes and fading into shadow, thankfully none of these are game breakers but I did find myself frozen whilst a box slid slowly down to the ground or stuck behind a piece of scenery whilst in shadow form on more that one occasion. Both are fairly easy to overcome and do not take away from the games enjoyment too much but do warrant a mention.
    In conclusion, if you have Playstation plus already you already have this game and you owe it to yourself to play through this little gem as soon as possible. If you don’t have Playstation Plus then you should put this at the top of your to buy list, its better than anything else released on the platform this month and is only a fraction of the cost at just over a tenner. This is a prime example of how a small focused team with a modest budget can make something unique and spellbinding without the interfering of a large corporate publisher.
  21. Nov 16, 2013
    Assisted my wife in playing Contrast. Interesting setting and story with some good puzzles. It does have some control issues, but nothing that breaks the game. Definitely worth a couple hours of your time.
  22. Nov 20, 2013
    A fantastic and beautifully stylized game. A joy to play through from start to finish. The only downfall this title as is its length. I just wish this game was longer. Definitely worth a buy and a bonus for PS+ members for whom this title is currently free.
  23. Nov 22, 2013
    I was surprised to be drawn into Contrast as it seemed a little simplistic for my taste. Once you get a taste of what it is like to switch from a person into a shadow, you might find yourself playing this game all the way through. The game isn't long, so you might finish the game in one sitting.

You play as Dawn, an imaginary character who is the figment of a little girl's, you guessed it, imagination. Her father is trying to win his family back by proving himself, but ask helped from some loan sharks who are desperate to get their money back. Dawn works with the little girl to get her daddy out of the jam and reunite the family once again.

The story is simple and straightforward, but it seems to draw you in and make you want to see how everything plays out. The level design reminds me of something from American McGee's Alice or anything in an Alice in Wonderland fiction.

Considering this game is free if you own PlayStation Plus, it's a pretty good title to jump into in between AAA games. I found myself playing this game the same night I bought my PS4, and it did not disappoint.
  24. Mar 17, 2016
    Got every trophy for this game. One of the only puzzle platformers Ive enjoyed, despite strange glitches (most of which actually enhance the gameplay). The only real issue I had was not understanding or timing the puzzle right, but after a few tries even the toughest puzzle is solved. The music was pretty good too.
  25. Nov 16, 2014
    It's a good puzzle game using light and shadows. Story is weird but based in the 40's-50's. Don't expect an action packed game. This game is mostly for the "sit down"/casual gamer. I enjoyed it. I wouldn't pay more than $7.99 though. Try it our Amigos!

-Game_Row
  26. Jan 26, 2015
    Why is this game receiving to much hate? I don't remember the game having glitchy problems. I recommend this because the gameplay is incredibly fun, also the puzzles are interesting and sometimes a little bit hard. The story is good, i liked it a lot (won't spoil).

This game was one of my first tries on PS4 and i had lot of hours of fun and made me fall more in love with indies.
  27. Feb 27, 2015
    This game brings back some 3D platforming along with 2D and it does it wonderfully. If only a bit more time was given to the game to really flesh it out and some more testing to fix the glitches I think it could of been a 10 but the game was still very enjoyable, so if you like platformers then you should give this game a try.
  28. Aug 22, 2016
    Game is seriously underrated. It's one of the best indies alltime. I played on PS3 and it was for me a 7 or less, but now on PS4 it feels more better. And then I compared with Journey, now, after a lot of indies ahead, this is a really really good game.

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 3, 2014
    Great idea, not so great execution. Contrast's really only suited for the hardcore puzzle lover. [January 2014, p82]
  2. CD-Action
    Feb 10, 2014
    Calling a game with a gameplay based on shadows a shadow of what it could’ve been is a cheap trick. So is joking that Contrast contrasts with the vision of itself depicted in the previews and press releases. Still I couldn’t resist to do both because what we got is a half-baked mediocrity that has too little good moments but loads of wasted potential. [02/2014, p.62]
  3. Jan 3, 2014
    Contrast could have been a great game, but it feels too rushed. The controls are stiff and the platform elements aren´t that challenging. And we aren´t even talking about the countless bugs we found in the game.