6.9

1. Jun 11, 2014
    To be perfectly honest, I purchased Entwined simply to support the developers, after E3, them saying this was their first game made me think they would need some profit, since I believed not many would purchase Entwined, I decided to buy it. After playing the game, I am so happy that I did. This is a short, but a beautiful game that tests your brain in mainly different types of challenges.To be perfectly honest, I purchased Entwined simply to support the developers, after E3, them saying this was their first game made me think they would need some profit, since I believed not many would purchase Entwined, I decided to buy it. After playing the game, I am so happy that I did. This is a short, but a beautiful game that tests your brain in mainly different types of challenges. There are 9 story areas or missions. All 9 are completely different in their own aspect. One level has sharped edged obstacles, whilst the other has inflating balloons, and of course much more. There are 5 challenge levels which are hard as heck to be honest. Now... aside from how great this game is, I saw some symbolism, the "fish" who I call "Orange" and to me it seems like he is the male, and the "bird" who I call "Blue" who seems like the female. Whilst going through these obstacles, you have a certain bar which determines your progress, I like to think of it as a love bar. With every failure I like to think that the failure is in fact a mere obstacle in a relationship of their love, I like to think that each level is in fact a whole lifetime of love, showing their love, and how in each the outcome is different. I like to also think each level in their reality is the span of many years, and how at the end of the level you see where they are whilst in love, there was one that was very dark, with moody music, and a mountain or castle sort of think surrounded by lava or magma, this had a certain impact on me. I could babble on about my silly theories like an old man, but all I have to say this is a great game. Expand
  2. Jun 10, 2014
    Entwined is a game that is tiny and massive at the same time. Through its clever game design and subtle symbolism, this less than 2 hour journey will whisk gamers away into its story until the grand climax. Although the gameplay can be a bit difficult to control in the later segments of each level, that is a minute error in an overall stellar gaming experience.
  3. Jun 16, 2014
    Very entertaining game with a subtle story. The visuals are amazing. The game play can be either relaxing (on the early "Lives" levels) or super hard on the later levels and challenge mode. Very happy I bought this after seeing it at E3.
  4. Jun 13, 2014
    Beautiful game that is both trance inducing and deceptively challenging. It's fun to play and easy to understand with a unique but never flushed out story backbone about a romeo and juliet love that isn't supposed to be. The ending of each level is a strange change of pace from the journey but has a lesser effect than intended. About 2 hours of main gameplay with extra modes greatlyBeautiful game that is both trance inducing and deceptively challenging. It's fun to play and easy to understand with a unique but never flushed out story backbone about a romeo and juliet love that isn't supposed to be. The ending of each level is a strange change of pace from the journey but has a lesser effect than intended. About 2 hours of main gameplay with extra modes greatly increasing the longevity if needed. A beautiful, fun game with great music and lack of any real story. Reminds me of fl0w or flower in the good and bad ways. If you enjoyed those, you'll enjoy this. Expand
  5. Jun 13, 2014
    Great little game.

Challenge Mode will is rather difficult and will keep you busy for far longer than the 1-2 hours some reviews cited. Some quick thoughts for updates and/or a sequel: The different free-flight areas the dragon is transferred to (as a "bonus") after finishing a story-level could do with some more space to explore and more diverse game-play (to establish an even
    Great little game.

Some quick thoughts for updates and/or a sequel:

The different free-flight areas the dragon is transferred to (as a "bonus") after finishing a story-level could do with some more space to explore and more diverse game-play (to establish an even better contrast and addition to the great, but linear main gameplay). Maybe design those areas as "hub worlds" that are interconnected by even more of those core game-play "tunnels". Add Journey-esque multiplayer on top of that and the sequel will be an absolute hit!

That being said, Entwined already in its current state is really pure and great in its own right.
  6. Jun 12, 2014
    At first sight mesmerized by the beautiful graphics and the abstract oriental art-style. Great game design fully utilizing PlayStation's two analog sticks, providing intuitive and immersive game-play. The dream-like game-play experience is like flying through wonderland, works better than a cup of coffee if you need some refreshment at school or at work! The concept "always together,At first sight mesmerized by the beautiful graphics and the abstract oriental art-style. Great game design fully utilizing PlayStation's two analog sticks, providing intuitive and immersive game-play. The dream-like game-play experience is like flying through wonderland, works better than a cup of coffee if you need some refreshment at school or at work! The concept "always together, forever apart" is also poetic. A must-try game! Expand
  7. Jun 16, 2014
    It's sad that more people can't or don't appreciate a mesmerizing and beautiful game like this. Just because a game doesn't make a use for every button on the controller or over complicate a game shouldn't knock its score. I do my review on my YouTube channel under the same user name and even recorded with an HD PVR, and using expensive video editing software, the HD video review I madeIt's sad that more people can't or don't appreciate a mesmerizing and beautiful game like this. Just because a game doesn't make a use for every button on the controller or over complicate a game shouldn't knock its score. I do my review on my YouTube channel under the same user name and even recorded with an HD PVR, and using expensive video editing software, the HD video review I made doesn't even begin to give the sheer beauty of the game justice.

This is a game perfectly balancing your left and right hand to the patterns you behold on the screen. With all the vibrant colors and elegant patterns produced before you however, the magnificence of the art displayed before you in crisp smooth fashion can easily take you mind off of concentrating on what you are trying to do. It simply is that beautiful, and in my opinion, if the PS3 hit game flower was a beautiful horse, then Entwined is "The Black Stallion", an even more colorful, beautiful, and artistic masterpiece.

Is it a simple game? Yes. However that's the brilliance of the game. It's overly simple for anyone to pick up and enjoy as well as admire, even those non-gaming friends and family members, but it's difficult to master. It is like trying to perfectly do two different things with both sides of your brain, right and left, where you pat one head with your left hand and rub your belly with your right hand, and then on command, you switch... all while being distracted by a true work of magnificent art dancing gracefully in front of you.

The music in the game perfectly matches the pace and art of the game, smoothly taking you from a graceful slow dance to a emotional, fast and dramatic beat depending on where you are in the levels. Beating each increasingly difficult level rewards the player with seeing the two fish/birds that they were controlling mesh into a single flying dragons which can gracefully be flown to collect glowing gems in a big room and then draw a glowing track of lights with the flight of your dragon as if to set it's flight into a glowing piece of art for all to see.

For what it is, Entwined should be an award winning downloadable simple game that everyone can appreciate and enjoy. To compare this game and knock it points because it doesn't compete against a bigger, completely different game like Destiny is both unfair and foolish. It is a masterfully simple and beautiful game that does what it intended to do perfectly with a few single flaw which will likely be patched soon (I show this flaw in my video). I give this game a 9.5 out of 10 and rated it up based on the simplicity of its brilliance alone. A rare gem in an overly complicated gaming world that sadly many people can't stop and appreciate and will take for granted. It's much like someone ignoring a beautiful sunset right in front of them to text their 50th meaningless conversation of the day on their smart phone instead.
  8. Jun 13, 2014
    Pros:Entwined is a perfect example of the PlayStation initiative. While PlayStation provides great triple A experiences they also provide great small experiences like Entwined. This game provides great visuals, a beautiful art style, and an exceptional soundtrack. The game mechanics are simple but challenging at times. A challenge mode that is cool and somewhat entertaining at times. Cons:Pros:Entwined is a perfect example of the PlayStation initiative. While PlayStation provides great triple A experiences they also provide great small experiences like Entwined. This game provides great visuals, a beautiful art style, and an exceptional soundtrack. The game mechanics are simple but challenging at times. A challenge mode that is cool and somewhat entertaining at times. Cons: The game could be easily cheated by having a second person operate one of the joysticks, which is sad because it really takes away from the game. The experience is great but short, which is not necessarily a bad thing. But when i finished the game it left me wanting more from it which was not satisfied by the challenge mode.
    Final verdict: The game is a great experience for the price and i would recommend this to anyone looking for a cool and entertaining short game.
  9. Jun 17, 2014
    I enjoyed this a lot more than I originally thought I would. The underlying story, if you can call it that, makes the atmosphere of the game very enjoyable. It can actually get really hard in the later level too.

Very cool indie game. Eurogamer, you are ridiculous with that review.
  10. Jul 2, 2014
    This game was announced AND released during E3, which is the kind of shot in the arm the convention needs, but I was sorely disappointed when I was actually suckered into buying this thing. There are good intentions behind this game. It's meant to be a brilliant love story between two creatures who can't be together, but you wouldn't know this if you didn't read the product description.This game was announced AND released during E3, which is the kind of shot in the arm the convention needs, but I was sorely disappointed when I was actually suckered into buying this thing. There are good intentions behind this game. It's meant to be a brilliant love story between two creatures who can't be together, but you wouldn't know this if you didn't read the product description. The gameplay, unfortunately, is the most disappointing part. The premise is clever enough: use the two thumbsticks to guide the creatures through linear checkpoints. It's an idea that gets old quickly, though. It might have been more enjoyable if the controls actually worked well. I streak after streak die when I drove a character through a checkpoint that never registered my existence. It's not the kind of rewarding challenge either. The challenge arrives because the game doesn't work the way it's supposed to. I would not recommend buying this title at all. Expand
  11. Jun 16, 2014
    This is another one of those pathetic attempts at turning video games into art. Entwined, much like Flower, Journey and Beyond: Two Souls, is not a game. Keep releasing crap like this and the industry will soon be destroyed. When developers are too lazy to create meaningful, worthy games and instead ride the "games are art" train, it's no wonder we no longer see amazing instant classicsThis is another one of those pathetic attempts at turning video games into art. Entwined, much like Flower, Journey and Beyond: Two Souls, is not a game. Keep releasing crap like this and the industry will soon be destroyed. When developers are too lazy to create meaningful, worthy games and instead ride the "games are art" train, it's no wonder we no longer see amazing instant classics like the days of the PS2. Expand
  12. Jun 13, 2014
    Yes, Entwined is a beautiful game with an exceptional graphic design and an excellent music themes. This game is a perfect challenge with a great controller system but is full of bugs from first to last chapter. Only a small update and the game will be perfect
  13. Aug 22, 2014
    I just sat down and played this game from beginning to end in a few hours or maybe not even that, but even with that said I believe this game has enough emotion to impact someone on a different level. This may be their first game but from what I've seen...bravo.

In it's own way the game is beautiful. The visuals are gorgeous and although made on the Unity engine which is notorious for making some of the ugliest crap ever this came out a true pleasure to the eyes. Watching the different scenes, and different areas go by was a treat. Of course the visuals were beautiful but that's not where the game excels in.

The gameplay is pretty basic. You move your bird or as I called her...Bird with your right analog stick. Then you move your fish or as I like to call him...Fish with the left analog stick. You set them over their colored target and basically fly through said target. It's very basic but it ends up becoming very challenging a nice rhythm based game. Of course there isn't much to say about the gameplay. It's basic, it's addicting, it's fun, and it even has challenges in case you want to get more gameplay out of it. All in all it's fun, pure and simple fun. Not run around and shoot at things with your unkillable numbskull who has rechargeable health kind of fun. (Which by my standards isn't fun.) It's a more relaxing, more enjoyable fun, like Journey, or Flower. Still this isn't the best part of this game.

The real splendor of this game is the beautiful soundtrack. The sounds that came from out of my T.V. were almost tear jerking. The music is gorgeous, absolutely beautiful. I loved every track, and I would buy a soundtrack CD in a heartbeat. The music is the best part by far. From soft lullaby's to fast upbeat almost trancelike songs. I swear this game has some of the best music ever heard. Much like the mentioned before games Journey, and Flower this game is on par with them as far as beautiful tracks are concerned. I recommend this game for anyone who has emotions and isn't dead inside and likes to shoot at things all day.
  14. Jun 18, 2014
    If you are looking for a relaxing game that can be challenging if you choose, Entwined might be the game you are looking for. Traveling down a road that games such as Journey, Flow, and Flower have also gone, Entwined has you using one analog stick to control a bird and the other analog stick to control a fish as they journey through multiple lifetimes.

The art direction in the game is

The art direction in the game is superb, and overall the controls are responsive. There is one situation in the game that would regularly result in a frame stutter, and I am not sure if it is intentional (it always happened as a result of me failing to properly navigate through a ring) but it sharply pulled me out of the game each time. Additionally, the game plays pretty similar throughout the experience and having a little more variety towards the end lifetimes would have been a nice addition. Otherwise, the music is fantastic and as long as you navigate everything correctly, the gameplay is very immersive.

There is a challenge mode that holds up to its name as being challenging and extends the life of this game which has a short (probably about 2 hour) story mode. Overall, this is a good first game from Pixelopus. It has a few flaws, but overall and enjoyable experience.
  15. Oct 18, 2014
    Entwined...How do you explain Entwined to someone? This game is an enigma in and of itself. It's addictive, beautiful and simple. Yet at the same time its repetitive, bland and complex. It contrasts itself making a very awkward experience for people who have hours on their hands.

The simple portions of this game seem to offer a complexity that contrasts the game that is at sometimes confusing. The story is that in a nutshell. It is about a fish and a bird in love and the emotions felt through their relationship. This is where it all becomes subjective as much of the scenery at the end of each stage confuses with he overall ending element of the gameplay mechanic for the story. You expect a sort of visual progression in the form of the artwork to tell the story but at times its all over the place from what the title of the level is. Even at the end of the level when the two become one in the form of the beautiful dragon doesn't make sense with the dark-brooding backgrounds given at times.

Minor critiques on the story aside, the real low point of this game is its gameplay design. The simplistic design at of the game is aggravating and time consuming. The use of both control sticks at the same time gives the illusion of difficulty through multitasking and is actually quite simplistic in design. That being said, its made tedious in the story mode. You need to collect orbs in order to transform together into the dragon. This sounds easy enough, but you lose a chunk of your orbs if you take damage from an obstacle. These obstacles take different shapes and go in different patterns based on the levels and how far you are in the levels. All in all its simplistic and loses its charm easily by the fifth level, and as soon as you realize that the amount of orbs lost is greater than that gained, it will start to become tedious.

The art direction is simplistic but beautiful. It shows the beauty of less is more with its unique layered style of the bird, the fish and some of the landscapes. The game itself could be worked better for the design around the gameplay as its just a flash of colours and sometimes not even that many colours. Its lack of consistency really shows in the challenge mode portions as it does get very bland to look at very fast. The music is just like the art direction, but is the opposite. Its beautiful sounding with absolute consistency as every piece starts to sound the same. There is little to no standard in the aesthetic make-up of this game.

While a game can be quiet simplistic in its design, it needs to at least have a solid base for everything. Nothing consistently is good and everything is off in some way. You want to wish it good, but by the end its tedious and scattered nature really comes to light and ruins the experience.

Story: 4
    Gameplay: 2.6
    Visuals: 4.5
    Music: 3.7
    Overall: 3.7

1. Jan 12, 2015
    All in all, Entwined is a flawed game with some good ideas, but none of them coalesce in a cohesive, interesting way.
  2. Oct 22, 2014
    I hate it when developers use pompous artsy nonsense to hide the fact that their game has nothing to offer in terms of gameplay. Entwined is a primitive arcade game with an obnoxiously pretentious ‘love story’. [Sept 2014, p.67]
  3. A missed opportunity. Entwined could have been something extra special, but is ultimately forgettable instead. [September 2014, p74]