• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 15, 2013
6.5

1. Nov 15, 2013
    Knack is a game that could bring much and much more than it eventually became. I don't really mind the graphics which are not really next-gen, but the overall gameplay and story. The gameplay is simple and very bland, which could have been way better. The story is boring and short, I finished the game in like 8 hours or so. Definitely not a day one buy!
  2. Hly
    Nov 18, 2013
    Terrible, terrible game. The art style is beyond awful. It requires a special kind of "talent" to make a game this bad. Shallow, uninspired and monotonus gameplay. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this game.
  3. Nov 28, 2013
    I cant believe that this is a next generation game.Not to mention a bad platformer.They should have made jak 4 or some thing like that.Bad graphics, story game mechanics..
  4. Nov 19, 2013
    Knack failed to achieve the core experience it promised, dissolving my long anticipation for the new ps4. The games only success lies within its audio and presentation unfortunately this wasn't enough justice to sweep the dirt under the carpet. Knack was meant to entertain its audience with a classic platformer experience while introducing new ideas and themes to the genre. Here it comes. Knack was bland, boring, repetitive, short and unoriginal.

Pick up killzone and invest in the PSN titles to avoid the disappointment which knack will deliver.
  5. Nov 20, 2013
    The game turned out pretty boring, and the plot and the gameplay is not breathtaking. Endless fights quickly bored, and besides them in the Knack and do nothing. Seemed to change character stats will affect the gameplay, but no: invisibility or increase the size does not affect the gameplay.
    I'm all hands to play, sending us to the good old days of overflowing originality, but Knack,
    alas, is not one of them. Expand
  6. Nov 22, 2013
    All games, in their own sense, needs to compel the gamer to play it. Knack makes it feel like a chore if you want to make it feel like you didn't waste $60. The story does not grip you in any way, enemies cheap-shot you with their ridiculous moves, checkpoints are ridiculous, and you are most likely going to die if more than 2 enemies are on screen. Controls in game make it hard to hit enemies in pressured battles, and the dodge mechanic is more of a death sentence than a helpful move. I thought Knack was going to make me feel like a kid again. The beautiful design and great artwork reminded me of things like Ape Escape and Jack and Daxter. Unfortunately, all I ended up with was a game that made me feel like I wasted money. Expand
  7. Nov 25, 2013
    Knack is a disappointment. Lacks the charm and polish that make other games in the genre memorable. There are those that will enjoy the repetitive shallow gameplay but if you want a game with depth and a good story to boot, look elsewhere.
  8. Jan 13, 2014
    I find it funny how even the stupidest Sony drones can find this piece of **** fun to play it's repetitive and boring if you want a good PS4 game wait until infamous or uncharted or anything but this abomination.
  9. Dec 28, 2013
    Sony...do you think this is the spiritual successor of Crash Bandicoot?
    this game is bored,stupid, its not crash bandicoot,jax and dexter,little big planet
    its just another stupid playstation game. the gameplay its not impressive
    its weak and broken. Im sorry Playstation Fanboys but i hate this game
  10. Mar 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So christmas came and gave me a PS4 and showed me Knack. I start by saying if you do get a PS4, just get it with Killzone Shadow Fall. You will probably have more fun with that than you will with this. So to start off; Knack is a action adventure kids game. Knack the character is an 'Orb' that is made of relics. He collects relics to get bigger and increase his health. The beauty of this is to appeal to kids by being a huge destructive machine. But being this comicly large takes away the challage its trying to offer. Normally I would like something like this because sometimes I like things to be easy. Aside that it does try and introduce the adventure part of the game by being open minded about what the character can do. However Knack takes it the wrong way. For example most of the game will revolve around fighting goblins. The goblins and other enemies get bigger as you progress through the game. But Knack gets bigger too so the gameplay never really changes, it only looks like it does. To make things worse the game offers a very strict route that you must take. The gameplay is just so boring, you feel after a while as though each level has been copied and pasted. But its not all bad. For example Knack offers a range of combat techniques. This can be both fun and intresting. But enemies have this advantage of hitting you repetitivly. This causes you die quite frequently. The characters are quite bland too. The scientist has lost his wife in a exploring expedition, which gets very anti-climactily resolved by her mysteriously coming back. We are supposed to care about her but we don't know anything so we can't really care. In short Knack is a predictable adventure game for next gen. Take my advice and just don't waste your time with this. Expand
  11. Mar 18, 2014
    Knack is one of the worst games I've ever played. At least Killzone was fun for the first 2 to 3 hours. Knack on the other hand was a blah-fest from the first 5 minutes. I really hope the next game by this development team is better than Knack, because it was pretty awful.
  12. Jan 4, 2014
    Never has a game made me rage with so much... disappointment!? I can persevere through most situations in any game, and will be the first to tell someone else to take a breath if their game is getting to them. But this game. Wow. Unbalanced like nothing I've ever played before. I'm going through on normal, and I just want to restart on easy! If I'm lucky, Knack survives three hints from enemies, but with health regeneration being basically non-existent (once in a while, it tops you up, but most of the time collecting health gives say 5% health back, if you're lucky!). Knack's ability to grow bigger and stronger is swiftly negated by the enemies getting bigger and stronger. Which, sure, every game the enemies get harder, but throughout the entirety of this game so far, I have yet to survive more than 3-4 hits in succession, before scattering into a million pieces of disc-snapping frustration. To say this game is going to be the next-gen Crash-bandicoot is a joke. I don't expect a game to be easy, but if you read reviews and comments about the game, I think everyone agrees that never in the first hour of playing a game would dying near 50 times be conceivable.

Knack's dodge, and general clumsy controls. If you're lucky, you'll have time to allow him to finish the move he's currently performing. But god forbid you have to dodge a missile (or two, which is basically insta-death), you have to wait for him to finish his current move before it even processes you are trying to dodge. And good luck dodging anything the bigger you get.

The game is artistically childlike and whimsical, bringing a certain charm and innocence to appeal to a younger audience. I'll give it that much, I liked that. However, the story is equally as childlike, but not in a good way, and I must say it can be extremely boring. Perhaps they've gone too far in trying to be accessible to children. Who knows This part of the game I enjoyed, but felt like it lacked a depth and richness to the characters and plot.

With fast paced enemies, slow reactions, beautiful graphics (for what it is) and a story that wafts along like a bad smell, this game has left me feeling unsatisfied with what was hyped to be more than what was delivered. Truth be told, I don't know how to feel about this game... it seems unfair to rate it so low, but it is what it is, and I won't be recommending this to my fellow gamers.
  13. Feb 2, 2014
    I'm a sucker for platformers and always have been, and I can safely say that this game is a disgrace to the platformer genre. The game starts off fun in a way reminiscent of the old gems of the PS2 era, but it goes downhill very quickly. I always strive to get 100% but I very nearly gave up because this game was so mind-numbingly boring.

The plot is simple, but ends up being
    anticlimactic with the final boss being a complete twist, but not in a good way. Unfortunately, the story isn't the only boring element to the game. Knack is often compared to games like Mario, Crash Bandicoot or Ratchet and Clank - but this game misses out on two of the key things that make those games so enjoyable: variety and fun. I remember vividly changing into different forms in Mario by using power-ups, or riding vehicles in Crash Bandicoot - but none of that is existent in Knack. It's a simple platformer, with no variety - and gets stale very quickly.

In an attempt to make the game more sociable, you can open secret chests and get collectibles with your friends but the mechanics behind it are flawed. Trying to get Diamond Relics leaves you grinding and becoming a repetitious waste of time. While you may need 15 of one relic to unlock a stronger version of the character, you can theoretically end up with 50 or so, while not having any of the relics you need - its completely luck-based.

Finally, the graphics are great - but lacklustre when compared to some of the late Ps3 games. Worse still, is that when you play as different versions of Knack - you default back to the original during cut-scenes.

Knack had so much potential but ends up leaving you wondering why it was made. Not all children are easily impressed - but the fact you can do more with the box than with the actual game speaks volumes about how bad it is.
  14. Feb 9, 2014
    What can be worse that new Killzone? Only this. One big plus of the game-it's very difficult. Dark souls for children. Green goblins, heart-kind Knack-it's nice but authors doesn't know about sense of humor. That's a pity, friends
  15. Nov 24, 2013
    Very repetitive. Knack is destined to be a forgotten mascot and rightfully so. There will never be a sequel to Knack and that's a good thing. Bland environments, very repetitive combat, lousy characters and storytelling, and not enough platforming, makes this one you want to avoid.
  16. Nov 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game stinks! With graphics that make PlayStation two look like a next-gen system and the storyline so ridiculous you actually have to wonder if the developers who created this game were high! Avoid this game or Tri City And buy something better! Expand
  17. May 5, 2014
    This game is really boring, i had fun in some of the parts but its a repetitive game with a strange and useless story, worst of all are the so so graphics in a ps4.
  18. Dec 9, 2013
    Really fun platformer game. Definitely not all that unique, but still a great game to play when you're bored and don't want anything too intense.

However, this is a next gen title, and it needs to be treated like one. Compared to something like Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack is not going to blow you away with its graphics. These graphics look like they belong on the Wii U, rather than the
    PS4. I can't help but feel that, for $60, I definitely did not get a next gen title.

Along with not being graphically next-generation, Knack also suffers from lag. A LOT of lag. This makes several of the boss battles throughout the game incredible frustrating. Button presses don't register right away (especially Knack's right-stick dash/dodge move) and this leads to a lot of one-hit kills against Knack. One boss battle was so laggy that I was only able to pass it by sheer luck, and what was probably a bug in the game.

Overall, Knack is a fun, lazy-day type of title that you play for an hour tops, and then put down. For $60, however, you're best picking up any of the other launch titles, as this should have never been released on the PS4. If Resogun can render so many elements on the screen so effortlessly, the lag that Knack sees when there is just Knack and 3 other enemies on screen is absolutely inexcusable, and the game devs, plus their quality assurance team should be ashamed to have released this to the public.

Wait until this becomes a Greatest Hit title, folks.
  19. Jun 3, 2014
    One of the WORST launch titles of all time! Incredible bad game, boring and repetitive gameplay, uninspired characters, you never feel good even watchinh this DISASTER of game, i really miss the old crash bandicoot games, but this? this is a launch title? please someon tell me this game is a joke.
    Too overhyped, poor game, poor graphics, poor voice acting, and poor character design.
  20. Mar 25, 2014
    Knack is awful, it's seriously one of the worst platforming games that I've ever played. Stay away from Knack if you own a PS4, because it's a waste of money.
  21. Apr 12, 2014
    Knack is the worst exclusive on the PS4. Don't listen to people saying, "If you love Mario, etc.", as that is false.

This game had a simple premise: A 'fun' platformer exclusive to the PS4. Right? Wrong.

Knack is surprisingly difficult, even at easy difficulty. I found myself repeating sections over and over because the commands delayed way too much. The graphics are great though,
    and I feel sad that the only 2 exclusives for the PS4 on launch day both had good graphics, but horrible gameplay.

Overall, I suggest that you avoid Knack and instead buy another game for the PS4, even if this is an exclusive. This feels more like a tech demo just to show off the game's graphics.

(Note: I did not finish the game, so I can't really say anything about the story.)
  22. Apr 23, 2014
    This game is an appalling disaster of bland and restrictive level design, repetitive and clunky gameplay, uninteresting and predictable narrative, and an overall botched attempt at reviving the lost genre of 3D platforming. Knack's ability to scale and vary his powers are so contextually driven that it's pointless to give it any thought, as it barely adjusts gameplay, and everything scales with you, so there's only 1-2 sections of being giant knack that you actually feel giant. Enemies are hardly skilled, and the game makes up for their lackluster behavior by making Knack have the defenses of a wet Kleenex, and overwhelming the player with an annoying amount of enemies.

The game hardly is a platformer, as the level rarely scales vertically in so few sections that most FPS's outdo them, and it barely makes for a brawler, as the fighting is so limited that you spend most your time mashing Square or X and Square. Most of the game is spent determining attack order, and dying due to your wretched controls. secrets in this game are essentially just hidden rooms in breakaway walls, 80% of which are fairly easy to find, and consist of assembling parts to "Upgrades" that you'll never have the desire to go back and use, as a single playthrough will leave you with the entire story. Seeing as the game lacks nearly any replayability, Once completed, you'll be hard-pressed to have any other use for it.

I understand that this was meant to be a love letter to games like Jak and Daxter, Banjo-Kazooie, and Super Mario 64, but this failed on a massive scale. No part of this resembles them, and even with the corridor gameplay of Crash Bandicoot (Another game from Mark Cerny), it at least had a wider range of play, better level design, and a far more fun overall feel. From a game 17 years younger. This isn't acceptable for a game of this generation, nor would it have been on the PlayStation 1. About the only thing that's noteworthy are the graphics and particle effects, neither of which are terribly difficult to get wrong when dealing with the cartoon-like style of Knack.

I understand if they wanted to create a game that could appeal to younger audiences and show that even the casual market can enjoy the PS4. However, this was a failure in a massive way, and wouldn't be worth half its cost. I really wanted to like this game, as 3D platforming is such a dire love of mine. This just didn't do it. At all.
  23. May 24, 2014
    The saddest part of this game is that I liked it for the wrong reasons. The only thing I like about this game was that the fun level design and quirky characters brought back memories from the time that I played Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, and even Crash Bandicoot. What is bad about that is that it caused me to see what a bad game Knack really was. After removing myself from my PS4 after playing about 4 hours of the game, I sat back and realized that I had wasted those four hours on the monstrosity that is Knack. Look, I appreciate what the developers of the game were attempting to accomplish with this game, to make a game a kid could enjoy. The problem is a kid couldn't possibly enjoy this game! I handed the ps4 controller to my younger sister and she lost interest, the game is soooo repetitive (I mean there are only three, yes THREE, punches Knack executes in the game) also this game is too difficult for children. Also, this game has a huge identity problems, its trying to be too serious, once again this is a game directed towards children and children at heart. This is a game I should be able to play without having to experience a story of betrayal and loss, it is meant for kids! I thought this game would be fun, thank god I didn't pay full price on this. Knack is just a game of punch, dodge, and hook. If the game doesn't understand itself than how can I? Expand
  24. Jun 4, 2014
    This is by far the most frustrating games I have ever played, forget Dark Souls, if you truly want that motivation to turn into the Incredible Hulk this is the game for you. Unless you're playing on easy mode, this game is far more difficult than you'd initially expect, even as early in as the first levels enemies can one hit kill you, and the sluggish moving Knack seems to only want to indulge them, at first it might seem bearable, but in later levels where enemies are shooting projectiles left, right and centre it becomes a real pain, and regardless of how monstrously huge Knack grows from consuming relics, he still seems to drop faster and harder than a paper airplane. The story itself is nothing special, it basically escalates from a series of random and unconnected events that eventually become a story, despite that the main bad guy basically exudes evilness from the get go, making it quite predictable. The game is extremely linear, thus removing any, if not all replay value, which only makes getting all the items from the chests a pointless and annoying grind. The graphics are fine, no real fault with them, but as they're quite cartoony it was a bad choice of game to show off the PS4's 'amazing' graphics capabilities. The games only redeeming quality in my opinion is that you can share the pain and boredom with someone else; it has a co-op mode. I use the term 'co-op mode' loosely as it's more like one play with an annoying second person who'll sometimes help you, sometimes knock you over leaving you at the mercy of a thousand enemy arrows, or sometimes go off screen and scream at you for ditching them because of course the camera only follows player 1. If it wasn't for the co-op with my girlfriend I'd have given up on this game ages ago, which sums up my entire experience of Knack really; I played it just to get laid. Expand
  25. Jul 30, 2014
    I bought this game when it became cheap in the hopes that the reviewers were just being a bit harsh. The graphics looked fine from what I saw in videos and being a ps4 game i had high hopes.

First things first, the story. The premise of the game isn't too bad itself, it's just that it doesn't hold my interest or give me a reason to care. It's also a bit too thin for me. It just doesn't
    feel like they really tried to flesh out a story that was fitting for the game.

Then you get to the gameplay. I just can't enjoy it. I know people like to give it a break because they see it a children's game but I don't get that. Maybe because of how bright the graphics are but I could see this game as being made for a general audience and that's why I think the gameplay is a joke. It's basically just has you running from area to area, beating up a handful of enemies to advance. No real gameplay stands out. It doesn't help that your slowly collecting parts to upgrade your character. The amount of things you need to collect just make you wonder when you'll ever get to use any of them. I had to play the app just to unlock anything. Which makes it seem like that's what they wanted all along.

Overall, I would recommend you stay away from this game unless you can find it for under $20 (which I did). Theres just too many games out there that you'd be better off spending your time and money on.

1. Feb 13, 2014
    Knack isn't a bad combat platformer, it's just mediocre. It's a kind of God of War for casual players and the fighting works actually quite well. Some boring factory levels should have been cut, though. [Jan 2014]
  2. Jan 26, 2014
    I have absolutely no idea what caused Knack to be the kind of game that is, because it just doesn't make any sense. Whether it's the case of being a a vanity project that went unchecked or just another could-have-been that lost its way while rushing to meet the PS4's launch date, the bottom line is that it's a misguided title too simple for adults and too difficult for children.
  3. Jan 10, 2014
    An awfully boring, repetitive and uninspired game that does absolutely nothing to show PS4’s capabilities but a lot to ruin your day. [01/2014, p.66]