6.3

1. Mar 18, 2014
    I beat this game in 23 minutes. It's $30. That's more than $1/minute.

Don't buy this game. Rent it for a day. I own every MGS and every game Kojima has ever made (including Policenauts, Snacher, etc) Now that we've covered the fact that this is a $30 demo and a shameless cash-grab that will undoubtedly be a huge tarnish on the otherwise amazing reputation of our beloved Kojima,
    I beat this game in 23 minutes. It's $30. That's more than $1/minute.

Don't buy this game. Rent it for a day.

Now that we've covered the fact that this is a $30 demo and a shameless cash-grab that will undoubtedly be a huge tarnish on the otherwise amazing reputation of our beloved Kojima, let's move on to all of the changes to the game itself.

0.) NO CODEC! - You know that little communication radio? The small feature that let you call people, save games, get help, get hints, hear funny conversations, etc? You know, the little thing that has been in EVERY major MGS release? Well now it's in ALMOST every major MGS release. The codec is gone.

1.) No more camo - You remember that small "active camouflage" mechanic in MGS4? You know, the little mechanic that basically defined the series? Yeah, well that's gone. And not just it, the entire camouflage concept all together.

2.) Inventory - The simple, streamlined inventory that was perfected over generations of MGS' is just gone. Period. The simple HUD inventory that would momentarily paused the game while you accessed it has been replaced with an ultra-generic D-PAD option we've seen in so many other games. It also doesn't pause the game. This is a lot more irritating than you'd think.

3.) Health/Stamina gauges - It turns out that we didn't need these either. MGS has now joined the ranks of health-less, stamina-less, auto-regenerating shooters. How progressive.

4.) Rations/Drugs - Naturally, without a concern for health or energy, we don't really need rations or medications anymore, right? So if you're looking for that fix of Diazepam and a warm can of rations, you've come to the wrong place.

5.) Combat - Among other things, the CQC system we've gotten used to over the years has also been modified with an unusual *MENU* that appears when subduing an enemy in combat. The ability to stick to walls has also been altered.

6.) No more mini-map - This is a bigger deal than it sounds. If you remember, the mini-map showed you the visual field of the enemies in addition to navigating complex areas. Now to access your map it requires going into an entirely different screen.

7.) No Hiding - No more hiding in trash-cans or closets. If you're trying to get away from an enemy your only option is to run.. or lay on your belly.

8.) No easter-eggs - This is a huge one. This is an ENTIRE GAME without any obvious/interesting easter-eggs, funny messages, clever conversations, entertaining posters or weird magazines.

9.) Super-Generic Level - There is only ONE TINY MAP IN THIS ENTIRE GAME. It's a generic, open military base with no buildings, no interesting hiding spots, nothing.

10.) No saving - Autosaves only.

11.) No more money - This means no more Drebin, no more purchasing guns or items and no more upgrading.

12.) No card-board box - What more do I need to say about this one?

I hate to use the word "fanboy," but the people who are saying things like "the negative comments clearly come from people who have never played a metal gear game in there life" [sic] or operating on the "if you don't agree with me you're wrong" -mentality might have a *tiny* bit of bias :).
  2. Mar 18, 2014
    $20 for 6-8 hours of gameplay, and people complain about it? All Kojima had to do was make the side missions mandatory over the course of the main campaign, and people wouldn't have a leg to stand on. $20 for a demo? Give me a break. The game is phenomenal.
  3. FMZ
    Mar 18, 2014
    The game is short but the gameplay is amazing, and the replay value is surprisingly hard.
    The new stealth mechanics are amazing and the sound design is a thing of beauty that reminds me of classic games like Thief: The dark project.
  4. Mar 18, 2014
    Absolutely stunning game. Amazing graphics, outstanding gameplay. This may only be a taste of what's to come, but I can't wait for The Phantom Pain. Great work Kojima!
  5. Mar 18, 2014
    The amount of negative reviews for this are only based around the length of the story which is around 1-2 hrs and nothing else because everything else is perfected down to its core. The actual length of the game is around 100-500 hrs though. All the negative comments clearly come from people who have never played a metal gear game in there life so if you are one of those people then IThe amount of negative reviews for this are only based around the length of the story which is around 1-2 hrs and nothing else because everything else is perfected down to its core. The actual length of the game is around 100-500 hrs though. All the negative comments clearly come from people who have never played a metal gear game in there life so if you are one of those people then I suggest you don't buy this. If you love metal gear then you will love this game as it was made for the fans and no one else. Expand
  6. Mar 18, 2014
    Everyone is **** that this demo, yes the Main Mission is short, but there is still content after that and the game have very high replay value, this is a high quality game, only negatives what other people **** about is that this is a "demo" but they cant say anything bad about the game play, graphics, voice acting etc,
  7. Mar 18, 2014
    Too short and too expensive. Doesn't deserve a great score. The game uses old animations, dated physics and is too damn short. I've played better demos.
  8. Apr 14, 2015
    This game is prologue the Phantom pain. MGS is Masterpiece. Best Gameplay, Very good optimization. I love Big Boss and Solid Snake. But Big Boss is the best. Hideo Kojima is best director of the game universe.
  9. Aug 18, 2015
    mgs v gz is a big game یکی از بهترین بازیهای عمرم بود فقط مشکلش این بود که کوتاه بود و همش در پایگاه بودیم
    این پیش در امد خوبیست برای بازی اصلی یعنی MGSV THEPHANTOM PAIN
  10. Jan 14, 2015
    This game finally rolled around in my Gamefly queue and I'm honestly wishing it hadn't. Others have mentioned the length issue so I won't retrod that ground. All I want to know is: What in the hell is happening to the Metal Gear franchise? As someone who played since the beginning of Metal Gear back on NES, I've watched as the game has changed from action to tactical action to tacticalThis game finally rolled around in my Gamefly queue and I'm honestly wishing it hadn't. Others have mentioned the length issue so I won't retrod that ground. All I want to know is: What in the hell is happening to the Metal Gear franchise? As someone who played since the beginning of Metal Gear back on NES, I've watched as the game has changed from action to tactical action to tactical espionage and, modernly, a "cinematic" experience. MGS1 and MGS2 undeniably had some lengthy codex sequences but they usually came in between lengthy periods of gameplay. Beginning with MGS3 and increasing throughout MGS4 and now MGS5: Ground Zeroes, the player spends most of their time listening to dialog or sitting in cutscenes with actual gameplay limited to sneak-and-shoot just long enough to trigger more dialog or more cutscenes. Even the story telling falls by the wayside, lost amid the spectacle of "did you see that cutscene!" hype.

At this point, I wish Kojima would just retire the series and turn it into the movie franchise he clearly has wanted it to be since MGS3.
  11. Mar 21, 2014
    I'll keep this brief. Excellent gameplay, excellent graphics. It really shows off the power of PS4. The problem is the length & price. But it is a quite a disappointment. The story is really short. It's really a *prequel* to Phantom Pain. Anyone who is not a hardcore player (willing to replay for better score) should NOT GET THIS GAME. PERIOD. However, I am willing to let it slide becauseI'll keep this brief. Excellent gameplay, excellent graphics. It really shows off the power of PS4. The problem is the length & price. But it is a quite a disappointment. The story is really short. It's really a *prequel* to Phantom Pain. Anyone who is not a hardcore player (willing to replay for better score) should NOT GET THIS GAME. PERIOD. However, I am willing to let it slide because I like replaying MGS for better timing. *-In short, this game is a mixed bag for me, being a huge fan of MGS, but just a warning to new players, if you want to get in MGS, get the MGS HD Edition with MGS2, MGS3, and Peacewalker.-* Expand
  12. Mar 19, 2014
    Despite the length, Metal Gear Solid fans will vastly enjoy this game. I did. I will be replaying this game for a long time. If you don't like the game because of the length.. that is your choice. I know, as a fan of MGS, that i enjoy sneaking around with Big Boss. Bring on TPP.
  13. Mar 22, 2014
    The only reason why this review isn't a major 10 is because of the length.

I don't find it acceptable to launch basically a demo for 30$. If it was free, I would've praised them continuously until the launch of the full game. But this, this is just being greedy. Yes, it may take a few hours if you do side-missions, and it will probably take even 10 hours if you spend 8 hours looking
    The only reason why this review isn't a major 10 is because of the length.

Yes, it may take a few hours if you do side-missions, and it will probably take even 10 hours if you spend 8 hours looking at the sky, however, at the end of the day, it's a approx. 1 hour game, and it should be called a demo (and be free) if you ask me.

The game is amazing. The gameplay is well designed and complex, the graphics are flawless, and the story is interesting.
  14. Mar 23, 2014
    As good as this 'preview' was I cant help but have a sour taste in my mouth.

I paid £30 for this and while it sure was a good snapshot of whats to come, it still is a glorified demo.already its trade in value is £12 so even that is not an option to try claw back any cash. Its one of those games that if Netflix still rented games, I would get it just for this. My message is borrow
    As good as this 'preview' was I cant help but have a sour taste in my mouth.

My message is borrow this from a mate, dont buy it. Worth a play but dont pay!!!
  15. Mar 22, 2014
    excellent demo, 24 pound for a demo is way to expensive . looks amazing on the ps4 . i was well gutted when it was over . i would wait for the completed edition when phantom pain is release. penny pinching. avoid
  16. Jun 3, 2014
    As a huge fan or the Metal Gear series I couldn't wait to finally get a glimpse of what the next main installment of the series, The Phantom Pain, will be like and Ground Zeroes met my expectations. First of all, the game is beautiful and runs at a constant 60fps at 1080p on the PS4.

In terms of content, there has been much controversy and honestly it is understandable to an extent however I have had my fair share of hours put into the game and still haven't quite finished with it yet. There is a lot to do in Ground Zeroes and yes the main story can be finished in 10 minutes but if you're going to buy a game to rush to the end and then leave it why bother buying it in the first place.

I was a little disappointed to see that knocking on walls had been removed from the game but there are also new features that have been added to the series. Vehicles can be driven for the first time and still contribute to the stealth factor. The codec conversations are still missing, as they were in Peace Walker, but again this is understandable as they wouldn't fit the tempo of the game as they did in other Metal Gear games.

Metal Gear fans will love this game and will find more to do than those alien to the Metal Gear series so this really is just fan service for Metal Gear fans, such as myself, and I wouldn't recommend Ground Zeroes to people that are new to the series.

My only real quarrel with Ground Zeroes is not the length and content but the price. Honestly, at release, the game should've been at least half of the price that it was retailed at. But other than that I really enjoyed Ground Zeroes. Hopefully we'll see more of the same in The Phantom Pain and be taken on another ruse cruse by Kojima.
  17. Aug 27, 2014
    Deserves a high rating, anyone who was smart enough to know what they are buying, would realise that this was a short game more polished then a demo, but was to give a taste of Phantom Pain to the real fans willing to pay to support their game series, which has never disappointed. Do people realise how much effort and money goes into making games of high quality. We all want cheaper gamesDeserves a high rating, anyone who was smart enough to know what they are buying, would realise that this was a short game more polished then a demo, but was to give a taste of Phantom Pain to the real fans willing to pay to support their game series, which has never disappointed. Do people realise how much effort and money goes into making games of high quality. We all want cheaper games but it would cost us in quality in the long run. Expand
  18. Mar 23, 2014
    Before anyone disagrees with my opinion of ground zeros i simply ask that you click on "read this user's review's"! If you do, you'll see that i love this series, will always defend it but more importantly, I'll always be honest about my reviews! Well, lets get started. The graphics: simply amazing! I thought killzone shadowfall looked great but this games is amazing in the graphicsBefore anyone disagrees with my opinion of ground zeros i simply ask that you click on "read this user's review's"! If you do, you'll see that i love this series, will always defend it but more importantly, I'll always be honest about my reviews! Well, lets get started. The graphics: simply amazing! I thought killzone shadowfall looked great but this games is amazing in the graphics department. The gameplay is the same except you can run by pressing L3 which is(in my own opinion) weird to due in a metal gear game. Controls: well they are essentially the same with some exceptions like running. The radio is accessed by pressing L2. Story: um....you might want to sit down for this if you haven't heard it from mr. Kojima himself but this is nothing more than a demo! But it revoles around saving paz and chico which doesn't exactly go as planned. Your in a military camp with plenty of open space to traverse but sadly this is where the problems comes into play for ground zeros. I want to say that this camp is snakes personal play ground but there's so little to do in it besides sneak around,go all out or die! Almost all buildings are locked! But you can enter vehicles which, in retrospect, makes this worse since there's little to do in your environment. The camo system has been removed and replaced with...um....nothing! They also removed the boxes,bandages,rations, back pain meds,stamina gage when hanging and just about anything else that made metal gear solid...well...metal gear solid. This games atmosphere is far from any metal gear game,meaning, i didnt feel like i was playing metal gear but some sort of cheap knock off of metal gear! Why? Well, everytime you vet noticed, the game slows down time for you, giving you MORE than enough time to head shot any enemies who spotted you thus ending the alarm status if successful and you will be successful, and this is where this demo differs from previous entries in this great series. The metal gear mood has been replaced with your typical main stream third person shooter. Automatic health regen takes away the strategy that came with rations....i dont care about this game being short because this is nothing more than a cash grab demo which i rented. No one should buy this game, NO ONE! Fan or not, this demo sbould be avoided even by hardcore mgs fans. I see this demo being released along with the game of the year edition of the phantom pain! There's nothing exactly wrong with this demo with five extra missions but as far as metal gear games go...phantom pain seems to be heading in a different direction even though past metal gear games can still work! I give this demo what it actually deserves....5/10!! Since there's no way on this earth that ANYONE will keep playing this short demo with five missions that take place in the same area as the main mission, more than a few times....you'll forget this demo as quickly as it can be beaten! Expand
  19. Jun 3, 2014

Metal Gear fans will love this game and will find more to do than those alien to the Metal Gear series so this really is just fan service for Metal Gear fans, such as myself, and I wouldn't not recommend Ground Zeroes to people that are new to the series.

20. Jun 12, 2014
    What you get for your money is a lot of fun, but this is way too short. The controls are solid. The story was too short to make much sense. the sub mission offers some extra length but they are in the same location and aren't anything special.
  21. Mar 22, 2014
    to determine whether or not this purchase is for you, you need to ask yourself one simple question... how much of metal gear fan am I? If you have been playing MGS since its inception buying this is an absolute given and will no doubt be worth $20-30. If however you are not the most hardcore of an MGS fan avoid this purchase like the bubonic plaque and simply wait for the Phantom Pain.to determine whether or not this purchase is for you, you need to ask yourself one simple question... how much of metal gear fan am I? If you have been playing MGS since its inception buying this is an absolute given and will no doubt be worth $20-30. If however you are not the most hardcore of an MGS fan avoid this purchase like the bubonic plaque and simply wait for the Phantom Pain.

As for the game itself MGS Ground Zeroes picks up almost immediately after the events of peace walker and involves Naked Snake (AKA Big Boss) infiltrating a US blacksite known as Camp omega, a deliberate and shameless analogy to Guantanamo bay.the short but oh so sweet story is definitely among the most dark of the entire series, Kojima mainly explores themes of torture and loss as well as rape...Kojima certainly wasn't lying when he said that MGSV would explore taboo subject matters.

the gameplay is undoubtedly the best the series has ever seen, Big Boss moves with fluidity and it both looks and feels awesome. the emission of the HUD greatly augments the games immersion, and random enemy movement patterns keep you on the edge of your seat constantly. Enemy AI is also greatly increased, the day time missions can be incredibly difficult as enemies can spot you with ease, the evolution of enemy AI in my opinion validates the new reflex mode although if you're up for a real challenge it can be switched off. during combat enemies act much more naturally than previous titles, they charge flank and take cover on the harder difficulties they are indeed a force to be reckoned with

overall MGS Ground Zeroes is a welcome addition to the collections of longtime dedicated fans, otherwise consider a rent, a borrow, a wait for a sale, or an overall pass
  22. Mar 27, 2014
    Metal gear Ground Zeroes is unique in that there are things I love and hate about the game.

The positive points of this game: Lets start off by saying how great the graphics look because of the new fox engine. Even on older systems like the ps3 and the xbox 360 the world looks incredible. Lighting different different times of the day helps to show off how brilliant the fox engine

The positive points of this game:

Lets start off by saying how great the graphics look because of the new fox engine. Even on older systems like the ps3 and the xbox 360 the world looks incredible. Lighting different different times of the day helps to show off how brilliant the fox engine really is.

Controls have improved to feel much more natural. The game focuses on real time gameplay by taking away the camo index and the weapon and equipment windows and replacing them with one wheel for weapons and equipment. The new weapon wheel makes switching to different guns and your night visions goggles easy and quick. The system is simlar to using the d pad in games like Resident Evil 5 and Dead Space. The learning curve for this game is fast and finally the controls feel natural.

The Mechanics add to the depth of the game by introducing bullet drop when your weapon starts to get out of its effective range. Red cross hairs indicate where the bullet will hit while white cross hairs have to be adjusted because the player will have to aim a little higher at further distances to score a head shot on an enemy. The ability to tag soldiers to see their position on Snake's map helps to understand what corners and objects soldiers are behind. Destructible building and barriers help to add to the believably of this real world environment. Finally vehicles such as jeeps, trucks, and even tanks can be driven and can be used as the player sees fit.

The different missions all have different objectives to help the player really understand the different options the player has at his or her disposal as well as content to continue playing after the main story has been completed.

The AI has been vastly improved with enemy combatants being able to see you from far away. Running around is a good way to get spotted. Crouching and crawling is highly advised to avoid detection. Enemies are smarter and work together by radioing for backup and for additional soldiers to help investigate suspicious persons or when the power is turned off or security cameras are destroyed. Being an one giant open area the entire base will work together to attack you if discovered. Reflex mode has been added to give the player a slow motion second to neutralize the guards or shot a camera out if spotted to avoided a base wide alert.

Calling a transport helicopter into to different areas of the map make the player decide which area has the highest and lowest risk of the helicopter to be shot down by the enemy. The player can literally spend hours rescuing prisoners and knocking out Marines and having them extracted by the support chopper.

The bad points:
    The game is short no matter how much time you take to complete a mission. Most people can beat the story in an hour and half. My first play through having no idea what to do, I watched all the cut scenes, rescued all seven prisoners, and still used stealth to sneak around the base and my clear time was 44 minutes. That is the longest mission because most of the other missions and be beaten in 10 to 20 minutes depending on player skill and difficulty level.

The re playable content is really repetitive with the only thing that changes is the primary mission objective. There are six missions including the main story mission but they all involve the same map, so after the third of fourth mission you will already have the guards and the lay out of the base memorized.

The guards are always the same with no variety. One type of enemy with no boss fights in the entire game. The only thing the player has to worry about is if an enemy is in a tank, other than that you approach and fight every opponent exactly the same.

Metal Gear Solid fans will be sad to learn that many of the features in the old games have been left out of this game. The game has no cardboard box, no health or stamina bar, no rations, no codec calls, and very short cut scenes. Instead the game introduces regenerative health similar to Call of Duty with the screen turning red with blood spots until the player hides behind cover and waits for Snake's health to regenerate. Interactive codec calls have been replaced with Kaz Miller just talking about obvious hints for the player can undoubtedly figure out on their own with common sense. The gameplay feels more like a Splinter Cell game than a Metal Gear Solid game.

My final verdict:
    I give Ground Zeroes a 6 out of 10 because the game is fun in the short time that it lasts but the small amount of content makes me wonder how Konami justifies the 30 dollar price tag for next generation systems. The shift to new play style is both fun and disappointing for long term Metal Gear Solid fans. I would recommend for everyone to rent this game or if they have to own it buy it on last gen systems for 20 dollars because this game isn't worth 30 dollars.
  23. Mar 30, 2014
    I bought MGS Ground Zeroes simply because I love the MGS series and because my pocket allows me to do so.
    This game is simply a show-off of mechanics and graphics that will be fully introduced in MGS V: The Phantom Pain and nothing more. The plot content is nothing that couldn't have been put in a few words during the intro of the main game that is about to come. The graphics did not impress me and I hope that MGS V looks better. Photorealism is there though and is very good but character models still look like plastic. The movement is still a bit awkward and NPCs as well Snake move quite quickly without any physical realism.
    All the above and the very short duration of this game make me think of the same thing when I was reading the reviews for Ground Zeroes. I believe that Kojima is trying to help Konami stand on its feet before the release of the main game that will surely boost the company financially and to do so, we have this game on the shelves.
    I would also like to point out that people should stop criticising each other on how they spend their money on games. Journey was a short game full of brilliance, same with Gone Home and both of them cost a total of 20 pounds. Kojima has already made a name because of his amazing games thus the extra price. I am a fan of Kojima's work and I would even buy a 5 minute demo of his for 10 pounds. If that makes me stupid so be it.
    I totally understand the argument that we shouldn't promote a ''high price-low value'' culture in video games but I also strongly believe that this is up to us the gamers to decide. In the end we are the ones who form the market and decide where the market goes, what makes the highest sales and what games we really want. And I believe MGS is a game we still want in the market. If my purchase of Ground Zeroes can help that happen then I'm happy. As a game though, I expected much more.
  24. Jun 29, 2014
    Great game, great graphics, great story BUT very very very short, i completed it in 48 minutes, i bought it at 17.99 i still feel that was a bit over priced, wait for it to go real cheap and you have your self something to do and some trophies to collect
  25. Apr 13, 2015
    I'm truly disappointed, as a recent Metal Gear fan (I've played the collection a few month before playing Ground Zeroes) this feel just like Kojima has been forced to take part of the Phantom Pain experience to cash in some money for Konami. It lacks features that were present in the other MGS and would probably be in Phantom Pain (like Fulton system) and most of all it's way too short, 1I'm truly disappointed, as a recent Metal Gear fan (I've played the collection a few month before playing Ground Zeroes) this feel just like Kojima has been forced to take part of the Phantom Pain experience to cash in some money for Konami. It lacks features that were present in the other MGS and would probably be in Phantom Pain (like Fulton system) and most of all it's way too short, 1 hour for the main mission, 3 hours to complete all the Side and Extra ops (and they're all in the same area that the main mission).
    It's a shame because the gameplay (but not as much as others MGS because of the lack of tool/weapons), the graphics and the story are still amazing (and I do recommend to play it if you want the link between Peace Walker and Phantom Pain). It was just way too expensive, half priced (15€/$) or a rent are the best way to play it without having the feeling of being Konami's cow.
  26. Mar 18, 2014
    There was never any question as to the length of Ground Zeroes....It's been well publicized that GZ is just a taste of what's to come, and anyone who is a fan of the Metal Gear franchise will appreciate that, even if it is only a few hours long. Anyone under any other impressions as to how long it was going to be or how expensive it should be is ignoring the fact that it was commonThere was never any question as to the length of Ground Zeroes....It's been well publicized that GZ is just a taste of what's to come, and anyone who is a fan of the Metal Gear franchise will appreciate that, even if it is only a few hours long. Anyone under any other impressions as to how long it was going to be or how expensive it should be is ignoring the fact that it was common knowledge well before release. It's their fault for expecting something else. Do a little research before spending your money, that's all. This prologue chapter is akin to the Tanker demo for MGS2, and I cannot tell you how excited I am for MGSV: The Phantom Pain now that I have experienced this game. Let's just hope it will actually hit in early 2015! Expand
  27. Mar 28, 2014
    Why couldn't this be like dead rising 2 pre game? 5$ for a 4 hour game with 5x more content.
    What your getting for 30$ is a game with a playtime of 1 hour and 30mins TAKING YOUR TIME! And mini games that last from 10 to 15 mins. Gets low replay value fanboys dont understand that this is nothing but a demo.
    To the good it was fun REALLY fun good story nice characters! thats why its a 4

To the good it was fun REALLY fun good story nice characters! thats why its a 4 not worth 30$
  28. Mar 18, 2014
    I don know why the fans support the theft to our pockets, because presents bad load of textures and very hilarious glitches, its a shame !! you can past the main level in 15 minutes avarage, and really my worship Is mgs but no this time
  29. Mar 20, 2014
    It's actually not that short if you 100% it but regardless, the graphics are amazing, the game feels great, the story is superb. The best part is how hyped up it gets you for Phantom Pain, without revealing too much.
  30. Jun 2, 2015
    Got this short demo for free from PS+... WAIT IDIOTS ACTUALLY PAID $$ FOR THIS DEMO?? Probably one of the only games more disappointing and shorter than Destiny
  31. Mar 26, 2014
    Hideo has not lost his dark sense of humor. When he directed Metal Gear Solid 2, he felt it would be fun to show a middle finger to Metal Gear fans by tricking them into buying the game and forcing them to play as Raiden insted of Solid Snake. Then he noticed that the fans actually started licking his middle finger. From there we have arrived to this day, when he is really so arrogant thatHideo has not lost his dark sense of humor. When he directed Metal Gear Solid 2, he felt it would be fun to show a middle finger to Metal Gear fans by tricking them into buying the game and forcing them to play as Raiden insted of Solid Snake. Then he noticed that the fans actually started licking his middle finger. From there we have arrived to this day, when he is really so arrogant that he will release a 60-90 min slice from a 60$ game and sell it for almost the full retail price. This is Kojimas new "practical joke" to the fans and gamers. He knows that the Metal Gear fans are so fanatic that they will grasp at this terrible fraud of a deal and defend their purchase to the death with arguments like "You can get 1500 hours from this if you just play it 1450 times! So it's a really good deal!". This is a demo. Nothing more. If you can get this for free, then go for it. Otherwise this is with the help of the mindless fans will set a dangerous example, which will be followed by EA and Activision and other publishers after that. If this fraud of a "game" does well, every single big release will eventually cut off 1 hour of the game and sell it for 40$ as "a prologue to help with the wait anticipation." Releasing this under the name "Metal Gear Solid 5" is nothing more than criminal fraud and Kojima and Konami should be sentenced to pay a hefty fine to discourage this kind of deceit toward customers. Do not buy this. Hold on to your right to have actual *content* in your games. Expand
  32. Mar 18, 2014
    Yes. This game is a ripoff. Konami should be ashamed of themselves. But then again, they don't seem to have any decent, marketable franchises anymore other than MGS (if they'd release a real Castlevania game they'd have two) so I guess maybe they need the money. That being said though, if you're a hardcore fan of the series this is worth it. But then again, you already own it or probablyYes. This game is a ripoff. Konami should be ashamed of themselves. But then again, they don't seem to have any decent, marketable franchises anymore other than MGS (if they'd release a real Castlevania game they'd have two) so I guess maybe they need the money. That being said though, if you're a hardcore fan of the series this is worth it. But then again, you already own it or probably will by the end of the day. Improvements to the MGS formula are found everywhere. Stealth is better. The controls are better. The gunplay is better. It's a wonderful teaser to what awaits in The Phantom Pain. Yes it's short, unsatisfying and a total waste of money. But it's also amazing. If you're a fan of the series, get it. If you're not, don't waste your time. Wait until the real deal comes out. Expand
  33. Apr 6, 2014
    Infuriatingly short. I can't even call this DLC quality content. It's more like a demo--like the ones I used to see included in my copies of PC Gamer years ago. In fact, I remember a Metal Gear demo around the time that took me longer to complete that this train wreck.

I've read quite a few of the reviews from the magazine lackeys, and I found them wanting (no surprise there). This game looks *nice*, but it is by no means a PERFECT SCORE kind of impressive, even if you were to ignore the fact that it's a 30 dollar demo. The environment lacked almost anything in the way of impressive detail, and the story had the charm of a bad translation to an off-brand JRPG.

I'm embarrassed for Konami just as much as I am angry at them. Everything about this screams shameless greed, and claiming that this couldn't exist as a prologue within Phantom Pain is an affront to the intellect of all Konami's customers.
  34. Mar 18, 2014
    Simply love everything about this game. Excellent graphics, amazing soundtrack and just enough taste for us to look forward for The Phantom Pain.

Actual main mission takes about 2-3 hours long but once you finish that you will notice it'll say "10% Completed". You know what that means that there is WAY more to do after it. Side missions and quests will keep you busy for hours 6-8 in fact, and most games now days are around 7-8 hours with FULL price tag so I don't know why many people here are complaining about it.

If its too pricey for you, then DON'T buy it, no body is forcing you but you WILL be missing out on a lot.

$34.99 is a really good price for this in my opinion, cause there is so much to do and in many ways as well.

After playing and finishing this game, I simply cannot WAIT for The Phantom Pain and we don't know when that will be coming out. Hopefully in 2015 (Fingers Crossed).

If you want to experience Snake like never before, you will have a blast.
  35. Mar 18, 2014
    Why are people complaining about the length?,Game's like Gone Home,Journey, are all short game's that were around 20-30 doallers. This is crazy,the game is amazing,the graphic's are great,and it's metal gear!!If you don't like the length or Metal Gear don't buy it...damn..These review's are for people that love Metal Gear and want to know if the game is any good.
  36. Mar 20, 2014
    Well, even if you think this game is just a $30 demo (which is not), it still one of the best '$30 games' and/or 'demos' I've seen in ages.

Amount of atmosphere and data in game is enormous, approaches you may take to complete your goals vary a lot, map offer complete freedom of movement and exploration -- what more to wish for? Only one thing comes to mind -- for Phantom Pain to get out sooner.
  37. Mar 18, 2014
    I'm still wondering why people were surprised at the length of this game. It's never been known to be a full length game, merely the prologue to Phantom Pain. I braced myself for a short playthrough and I'm surprised I manage to squeeze five hours out of it and if this is merely the first chapter than I'm quite looking forward to when the full game comes out. While I believe this gameI'm still wondering why people were surprised at the length of this game. It's never been known to be a full length game, merely the prologue to Phantom Pain. I braced myself for a short playthrough and I'm surprised I manage to squeeze five hours out of it and if this is merely the first chapter than I'm quite looking forward to when the full game comes out. While I believe this game shouldn't have been more than $20, I feel it was worth the investment I put into it. Expand
  38. Mar 18, 2014
    Why everyone is complaining about the short length and giving it a negative score because of that makes no sense... If you were following the progression of this prologue Kojima clearly stated this was a short game via tweet in February and explained why. So we have the length already known and the price already known.. SO WHY IS THIS A SURPRISE? This game is great for what it is, IWhy everyone is complaining about the short length and giving it a negative score because of that makes no sense... If you were following the progression of this prologue Kojima clearly stated this was a short game via tweet in February and explained why. So we have the length already known and the price already known.. SO WHY IS THIS A SURPRISE? This game is great for what it is, I didn't like price tag but I was willing to pay it and I am not disappointed.. Easiest mechanics to date and visually amazing! 'nuff said Expand
  39. Mar 18, 2014
    The gameplay is a mix of fluent mechanics mixed with gorgeous graphics. The lack of cinematics adds to the whole experience and what is produced is a worthy predecessor to Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. My only criticism, and I know it won't be like this for MSG5, is that it was way to short. I think I got through it in about 2-3 hours. But I guess the fact I wanted to play it forThe gameplay is a mix of fluent mechanics mixed with gorgeous graphics. The lack of cinematics adds to the whole experience and what is produced is a worthy predecessor to Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. My only criticism, and I know it won't be like this for MSG5, is that it was way to short. I think I got through it in about 2-3 hours. But I guess the fact I wanted to play it for longer is a good sign right? There's nothing worse than a terrible game that drags on for days and days that after you wouldn't touch with a 60ft pole (see my review on Rambo: The video game for more on that). Expand
  40. Mar 18, 2014
    I am quite suprised at the user reviews but i respect your opinion BUT it sounds like some gamers went into this purchase blind as well as desire to play anything new due to lack of slection atm with that said im 35 years old and a fan of mgs , i personally hated the idea o a 30 dollar "demo" cash grab fan base extortion due to us wanting anything mgs, SNAKE!. I picked it up at midnightI am quite suprised at the user reviews but i respect your opinion BUT it sounds like some gamers went into this purchase blind as well as desire to play anything new due to lack of slection atm with that said im 35 years old and a fan of mgs , i personally hated the idea o a 30 dollar "demo" cash grab fan base extortion due to us wanting anything mgs, SNAKE!. I picked it up at midnight and just finished for now to rest, coffe and write this review basically i got more than 9 hours out of this "2 hour demo". This is not cod = run gun through campaign ala rambo but to be fair its not the complete package but instead its a small chunk of glory, not the main course but absolutely delicious none the less , lets talk ground zeroes.

The main mission is indeed short but it doesnt end at the credits as many portray it actually is when the game begins. Side and extra ops = tons of replay period. You get graded by your stats which scale differently from op to op, S being the best grade. It also tracks all youre stats i.e longest headshot and trials mode pits your perfomance globally.

The game has tweaked combat, stealth and a.i to name a few and thats an achievement considering mgs as a whole. Bottom line this is 110 percent next gen mgs in every conceivable aspect period and is amazingly gorgeous tbh best looking current gen imo. The mechanics feel all so familiar to mgs fans bu polkished and refined in areas i thought couldnt get better. The map is open world and if you play a game like gtv 5 without doing side missions youre only cheating self in terms of overall exp and game life and same can be said here.
    My psn pixelprov1 to prove i have the game and to all my fellow mgs fans buy this, rent this, PLAY this. Then send me a msg and call my a liar if im not stating facts. Not a game for everyone first off and a prologue to boot = disaster for those who this applies to which isnt meant to insult, mgs is very hard to pick up and play for casuals to begin with
  41. Mar 19, 2014
    This game I not a demo. Demos don't have 8 hours of gameplay. If you think this a demo you're a fool. This is a prologue. I don't understand you people complaining about the legnth when Kojima made you are aware of it. This game has awesome graphic and gameplay. This game was made for people how are true fans of the series. People who are this this game a undeserved zero are most likelyThis game I not a demo. Demos don't have 8 hours of gameplay. If you think this a demo you're a fool. This is a prologue. I don't understand you people complaining about the legnth when Kojima made you are aware of it. This game has awesome graphic and gameplay. This game was made for people how are true fans of the series. People who are this this game a undeserved zero are most likely people who are new to the series or have probable only play mgs4. This game is amazing but honestly only made for true metal gear solid fans. Expand
  42. Mar 18, 2014
    These guys complaining about the length are a joke. It's a fantastic game, and well worth the price. I didn't see anyone complaining about The Last of Us's $15 DLC. Yea, this costs $30, but there is twice as much content. Some people are raging and trying to prove some futile point. This game is great, and worth every penny. End of story.
  43. Mar 22, 2014
    just no, this is in no way enough content for the price you are giving them. what there is is good sure but this is in no way a fair deal. just a cash grap since there hasnt been a mgs in a while, they think they can just make some quick and easy money here.
  44. Mar 27, 2014
    I'm sure you've heard by now that the main mission for Ground Zeros is disappointingly short and even though there are more things for you to do in the game, they don't really add much to the already-missing storyline. The gameplay mechanics are really great so the bonus things do add to that and they do fuel you to continue playing. But there aren't many new things introduced so you'llI'm sure you've heard by now that the main mission for Ground Zeros is disappointingly short and even though there are more things for you to do in the game, they don't really add much to the already-missing storyline. The gameplay mechanics are really great so the bonus things do add to that and they do fuel you to continue playing. But there aren't many new things introduced so you'll have to just enjoy the great gameplay it already has.

Yes, the plot is very non-existent and sometimes brainless. The only thing that really supports the game is again, the gameplay. Though the voice acting and graphics may look good, the gameplay is where it's at. But like I said, you won't enjoy the gameplay for long. I beat the main mission in about an hour and the extras didn't really catch my full attention for me to want to finish. Ground Zeros is not worth full price but if you can get it on sale for under $10 or you can borrow it from a friend, you may want to go for it just to experience the solid gameplay. But do not get it at full price, you will be disappointed. Yes, the game is very disappointing.
  45. Mar 20, 2014
    I made this account solely for the purpose of expressing my disappointment towards Kojima/KONAMI's attempted rip-off and franchise milking.
    I've been a MGS fan since MGS on the PS1 and back in the day MGS demos (or prequels if you prefer) were free and came along other KONAMI games, they didn't have a 30$ price tag in it! It's really a shame that such a credible developer/publisher tried to take advantage of the game's hype and fanbase (which gets smaller by the day) to make an easy cash-in...
    And for those of you that are saying: "Blah blah blah, they warned people that the main mission was only about 2 hours long so if you don't like it don't buy it" , let me tell you something, have you heard of a game called "Dead Rising 2: Case Zero"? It was a prequel to Dead Rising 2, just like Ground Zeroes. The only differences were the price (it cost 5$ instead of 30$), the content (it was longer and more interesting) and the people behind it; I mean, you could maybe expect a rip-off from the Dead Rising franchise but from the Metal Gear franchise? No way, that was too ridiculously greedy.
    SHAME ON YOU KONAMI... I just hope this doesn't sell well and other publishers start doing it, although for 30$ they don't need to sell that much to have a good profit.
    First it was Rockstar's constant attempts at milking more money out of what already is the best selling franchise ever, and now this? What was a respectful and trusted company is now turning into EA.
    They can pull off these "scams" and keep getting good revenues, but it's companies like Valve that don't need to worry about cashing-in easily and still have some of the best-selling franchises ever, due to the simple fact that they care about their consumers.
  46. Mar 22, 2014
    Best way to sum up this "game" is like a movie studio taking all their moving trailers, cropping it onto one disc and selling it for half the price of the actual movie. Sure you get the bare bones of what the game will be like, but I can watch a gameplay video for this. It's over priced and side missions feel so distant from a MGS stealth game, having no thought being put into them. IfBest way to sum up this "game" is like a movie studio taking all their moving trailers, cropping it onto one disc and selling it for half the price of the actual movie. Sure you get the bare bones of what the game will be like, but I can watch a gameplay video for this. It's over priced and side missions feel so distant from a MGS stealth game, having no thought being put into them. If there was a dictionary term for low blow, this "game" would fit that term. Heading to gamestop now to return this demo for an actual game. Expand
  47. Mar 20, 2014
    I have gotten at least 6-7 hours out of this game and im glad I bought it. Its very short if you are the type of person who plays it once then drops it. I have gotten S ranks and unlocked the bonus mission which I S ranked. The thing is buy it digital if you want your taste of metal gear now and if you're a die hard fan like me get the retail version for 30. IF you dont like metal gearI have gotten at least 6-7 hours out of this game and im glad I bought it. Its very short if you are the type of person who plays it once then drops it. I have gotten S ranks and unlocked the bonus mission which I S ranked. The thing is buy it digital if you want your taste of metal gear now and if you're a die hard fan like me get the retail version for 30. IF you dont like metal gear then just wait until Phantom Pain comes out, buy this for whatever game stop is selling it at or buy it online, then play Phantom Pain. This game shouldn't get the harsh backlash its getting a 5.8, which is saved for buggy or bad design while this has great design, gameplay, etc. Worse case a 6 or a 7, be grateful of the taste you were given instead of hearing nothing until 2015. Expand
  48. Apr 10, 2014
    It's hard to score this game a six, but it has to be done. The main reason MGS is so successful is because it offers hours of quirky, badly acted cutscenes. Here you get good acting (Keifer Sutherland as Snake) but little story or reason to press on with the "Campaign" or its side missions. The stealth gameplay is as tight as ever, with some new tricks up its sleeve and Hideo KojimaIt's hard to score this game a six, but it has to be done. The main reason MGS is so successful is because it offers hours of quirky, badly acted cutscenes. Here you get good acting (Keifer Sutherland as Snake) but little story or reason to press on with the "Campaign" or its side missions. The stealth gameplay is as tight as ever, with some new tricks up its sleeve and Hideo Kojima written all over it. The Music is on par with the previous titles (ie. Good) and visually its a great looker. The PS4 boasts the best version of all formats but for what you get for the money is very little. DEMO has been screamed from all corners and its hard to argue with. If you're a die hard MGS fan then snap it up, you'll collude with the game to make it more than it is which will make it very rewarding. For the rest, wait for the price to drop (Drastically!) or like me you'll be cursing your lack of patience. Expand
  49. Jul 31, 2014
    Good sandbox to play in. Offers lots to do when re-playing. I got this for £17 so felt like good value for money. I can understand why those who paid more might feel a bit short changes as the main mission is quite short.
  50. Jul 25, 2014
    I enjoyed my first couple of playthroughs on the multiple missions in the same area but even as a self acclaimed die hard Metal Gear fan it was disapointing in many ways. The slapstick is gone. The humor that displaces all the serious tones, that lighten the mood, are replaced with attempts at tackling (and missing) controversial issues i.e. sexual violence. Ground Zeroes(GZ) is anI enjoyed my first couple of playthroughs on the multiple missions in the same area but even as a self acclaimed die hard Metal Gear fan it was disapointing in many ways. The slapstick is gone. The humor that displaces all the serious tones, that lighten the mood, are replaced with attempts at tackling (and missing) controversial issues i.e. sexual violence. Ground Zeroes(GZ) is an introduction and although people were going crazy for anything to do with The Phantom Pain(TPP), Konami should have kept it in their pants so to say. The story that is there for continuity issues only has 5 minutes of information that you can review on Wikipedia if you want to skip this entry. While I would've liked to critique him, Keifer Sutherland utters maybe 30+ words (8 of them sounding like they were recorded in a trash can) through the entirety of game play and I hope that this is not foreboding shadow of what is to come while Kaz yells in your ear the entire mission. I like my Snake more rhetorical. We will most likely see GZ attached to TPP whenever it is released and maybe we will see the true potential then. For now try Red Box or catch a digital sale. It's worth purchasing for 10-15$ if your a fan. Expand
  51. Mar 22, 2014
    Ok, vamos a dejar algo claro: compré Ground Zeroes sabiendo que era un juego corto y no me molesta eso. El problema es que no se siente como un Metal Gear.
    No hay opción de camuflaje, no hay llamadas de codec (con las que descubrías un poco más de la historia, y escuchabas graciosas conversaciones), se han perdido muchas características clásicas de MGS. El valor de GZ radica en su rejugabilidad, para poder obtener todos los parches XOF, cassetes y mejores tiempos en línea, pero créeme, te aburrirás de jugar las mismas misiones una y otra vez. No merece la pena comprarlo, RENTALO durante un fin de semana y ahorrate 500 pesos mexicanos.
  52. Mar 25, 2015
    It took me 53 minutes to complete the main mission. There are five or so "side missions" USING THE SAME MAP. That's it, that's the entire "game". Yes, the voice acting, graphics, gameplay etc are outstanding. But to market this as a full game is very deceptive.
  53. Mar 21, 2014
    I wanna start off with the game looks great were finally starting to see next gen quality. The map to me is straight forward, the level is nice and open. Heres were it goes bad for me, I played splinter cell blacklist so im kinda spoiled because its a mix of stealth great tools,combat run and gun also many different ways to complete a level, however you wanna play it is up to you. WithI wanna start off with the game looks great were finally starting to see next gen quality. The map to me is straight forward, the level is nice and open. Heres were it goes bad for me, I played splinter cell blacklist so im kinda spoiled because its a mix of stealth great tools,combat run and gun also many different ways to complete a level, however you wanna play it is up to you. With this game it wants to have stealth however you cant go into air ducts you can barely climb anything. you can only duck and hide behind things. Its really just buildings and structures placed in a open area, stealth seems impossible you get seen very easily. seems like it really just becomes a run and gun kill fest . which by the way there isnt even any really cool tools to use. besides the tank vehicle you can hop in and go crazy with. So to wrap it up run through it in a couple hours if you can find what to do without getting stuck and enjoy next gen graphics.. Expand
  54. Sep 9, 2014
    I knew it was a short game so didn't take any points off for that, but I did take a point off for getting 1/2 of the story from text and only having maybe 10 min total of cinematic story. I also took points off of the changes they made to the interface system. Anyone who's grown to love the way metal gear games are setup, will be probably feel annoyed that these changes are a stepI knew it was a short game so didn't take any points off for that, but I did take a point off for getting 1/2 of the story from text and only having maybe 10 min total of cinematic story. I also took points off of the changes they made to the interface system. Anyone who's grown to love the way metal gear games are setup, will be probably feel annoyed that these changes are a step backwards, not forward, from previous iterations. The graphics were good, but not 'next-gen' quality yet, so hopefully the next game fixes that plus the interface. Expand
  55. Apr 29, 2014
    While the argument of how short Ground Zeroes is has been beaten to death, what is here is a good game, and shows what is to come in the upcoming follow up, The Phantom Pain. The story, however short, is simple but good, tying up the story's of both the previous game, Peace Walker, and Phantom Pain. The gameplay is very, pardon the pun, solid. As previous Metal Gear games have, stealth isWhile the argument of how short Ground Zeroes is has been beaten to death, what is here is a good game, and shows what is to come in the upcoming follow up, The Phantom Pain. The story, however short, is simple but good, tying up the story's of both the previous game, Peace Walker, and Phantom Pain. The gameplay is very, pardon the pun, solid. As previous Metal Gear games have, stealth is preferred over action, with kills actually weighing down your score after completion of a mission. After completion of the primary mission, you have access to 5 additional missions, each with varied objectives. A sixth mission is unlocked following the collection of all nine of the game's "XOF patches," and the mission you unlock depends on what system you are playing on. However, there is one gripe I have with this game, which is shared by many others: it's price. The game for me just barely reaches the $20 asking price for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 digital download, but not quite worth the $30 price for 360/PS3 physical and Xbox One and PS4 physical/digital. But if you get past it's short length and debatable pricing, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is a great sign of things to come for the Metal Gear series. Expand
  56. May 13, 2014
    It's a good game, truly is.
    But at a certain point, being a good game is not enough to worth it. By doing this offer, Kojima just confirmed for everyone that his opinion of himself is beyond anything we can imagine, he is just falling into the worse kind of pretention that a creator can have.
    It's a good game, truly is.
    This "piece of work" definitely not worth its price, to me, it's disrespectful to the customer and to the fans.
  57. Jun 6, 2014
    We're not getting the Phantom Pain for a while, so Konami shipped out Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes to fill in the gap and hold over the fans who've been waiting for a game. Unfortunately, because of that, fans of the Metal Gear series received an incredibly fun experience, but ultimately, a fraction of a full game.

First, I want to state what's good about this game. The first

First, I want to state what's good about this game. The first thing is the gameplay, which is easily the best it's ever been for the franchise. I personally have never felt more in control of my character in any game before this one. All of the movements you're capable of doing is amazing. You can perform CQC moves around corners, over ledges, and even while sprinting, with the only thing missing being attacks from above. Instead of dragging enemies to areas to hide them, Snake puts an enemy on his shoulders, allowing you to run freely, crouch, sprint, and even aim your gun. If you want to drag an enemy while in a choke-hold, you no longer have to stand to do so. You can bring the enemy down low to hide yourself better. The movement in this game is incredibly freeing and flexible.

Stealth has been improved too. Instead of just making sure the enemy doesn't see you, you can use the environment to obscure you. Moving in darker areas, staying low, and hiding in foliage are all new elements you can use to make Snake harder to spot. Also, even when enemies see you, you usually have time to hide yourself before the enemy can identify you.

To compensate for the lack of any radar, the game added two new features, one of which is the reflex mode. When an enemy spots and identifies you as an threat, time slows down for a short time, allowing you to put an enemy down with your gun, or (if you're close enough), put the enemy in a choke hold. Plus, reflex usually only applies to one enemy, unless multiple enemies see you at the same time, which rarely happens. In some situations, I was able to activate reflex mode to take down one guy, and then reactivate it when a second enemy saw me, allowing me to take down him as well. Mastering this skill will allow you to easily take down a small group of enemies, giving you some satisfying take downs. Admittedly, this can make the game pretty easy, but if you don't like it, you can turn it off in options. Also, you have the ability to make enemies, allowing you to see them from any position, even through walls. Both the reflex and mark abilities are incredible mechanics.

Graphics are incredibly detailed, with beautiful environments and incredibly well done character models and runs at a buttery smooth 60 frames per seconds, and the soundtrack is amazing, easily living up to the music that the Metal Gear series is known for.

The gameplay and presentation of this game is amazing. Unfortunately, what makes this game disappointing is how little of it you actually get.

Any fan knows that this game received a lot of flak for it's run time of two hours or less. The truth is, it's even shorter than that. On my first try, I completed the game in 82 minutes, without knowing where the objectives are and without knowing the layout of the map in my head. There are side missions, but these missions average at around 15 minutes a piece, meaning you have less than four hours of gameplay here. Now, it is true that you can one hundred percent the game, and most gamers will probably try to one hundred percent it. However, this concept is flawed.

When I look at a game that was fun to one hundred percent, I think of the Batman Arkham series. I've done that for all three games, but I could not bring myself to do that on here because most of the side objectives are tedious, boring, or just plain stupid. I can understand the game wanting me to S rank all missions, or wanting me to kill all the enemies, use no weapons, or set off any alerts, because that's fun and challenging. However, asking me to mark all enemies, rescue all the prisoners, find all cassette tapes, as well as several other repetitive tasks isn't fun. One objective simply requires you to play the mission a second time. That's it. Plus, a lot of these objectives are unlocked by completing the others, so you can't do a lot of these objectives simultaneously. That means, to complete this game, you have to a S rank a mission on both difficulties, which usually doesn't happen on the first try, then complete all the extra objectives, which requires about five playthroughs, and even more if you screw up. So, you'll end up havign to play each mission about 6 or seven times. This makes every mission repetitive and takes away from the game's overall fun.

In the end, Ground Zeroes has great gameplay and an amazing presentation, which shows that Phantom Pain could easily be one of the best games of the year when it comes out. However, Ground Zeroes' overall lack of content and cheap replay value leave me with a sour taste in my mouth toward it, which is ultimately very sad for what could've been a great game.
  58. Aug 24, 2015
    The moment ot moment gameplay is one of the best ever in the stealth genre. Not only that but you get alot of freedom in the way you can finish a mission. There are countless ways of tackling a mission. Everything is on point in this game: the moment to moment gameplay, the controls, the music, the acting and story. The only thing that some people might not like is that the main missionThe moment ot moment gameplay is one of the best ever in the stealth genre. Not only that but you get alot of freedom in the way you can finish a mission. There are countless ways of tackling a mission. Everything is on point in this game: the moment to moment gameplay, the controls, the music, the acting and story. The only thing that some people might not like is that the main mission can be completed in an hour and can be speed run in less than 5 minutes. But the side ops give alot of longevity to this game. This game is also meant to be the prologue of the Phantom Pain. This is a must buy for every fan of the series. Also newer fans should get this, control and gameplay wise it is the best MGS game ever made. Expand
  59. Mar 22, 2014
    This game is just RIDICULOUSLY short! I mean Seriously!!! I thought the Campaign in Titanfall was short But 1 HOUR AND 30 MINUTES???? Ridiculous. Length aside, I enjoyed every moment of it the gameplay was solid, the fps remains smooth, the graphics are AMAZING! But it was too short to enjoy it sadly.
    I think this is a demo! It's WAY Too short! I hope that Phantom Pain will be much more long!
    I thought Kojima would make a 10 hours plus game! I don't want to spend more money on Phantom Pain cause it's 30 Dollar is already too much for 1 Hour and 30 minutes!
    Hell even one of my friends completed it in 30 MINUTES!!!
    I am extremely worried about Kojima.
    Oh right NO BOSS FIGHTS!?!?!??!
    I THOUGHT METAL GEAR WAS SUPPOSED TO PUT IN AMAZING BOSS FIGHTS!!!!
    Please Kojima Make Phantom Pain Worth the money.
  60. Dec 28, 2015
    C,mon this game is not that bad.it had great graphics,cast,voice acting,gameplay. rather than this was my first ps4 game and first mgs that how it took me pretty hours to do that mission and all side ops.and i am planning to buy mgs5 pp soon.
  61. Mar 18, 2014
    Made an account to contribute to the positive score for this game. Not much needs to be said about it that has not already been said, but here is the major point.

This game has done nothing that was not advertised. If you don't want the length, don't pay the discounted price. If you want a solid prequel to what is going to be amazing game, great game mechanics, side ops, graphics, etc... buy this game. Like I said, we knew about the length way in advance, so don't base your negative review around that.
  62. Mar 18, 2014
    MGS GZ has a AAA production quality but its short content wise. It depends how you play the game but it is intended to be stealth game and this is where GZ really shines. The world is a small sandbox area filled with many secrets and dangers that are calling for your hunger. Aside the interesting single played which took me 3 hours to complete it does have a high replay value as well.MGS GZ has a AAA production quality but its short content wise. It depends how you play the game but it is intended to be stealth game and this is where GZ really shines. The world is a small sandbox area filled with many secrets and dangers that are calling for your hunger. Aside the interesting single played which took me 3 hours to complete it does have a high replay value as well. There 5 Side missions in which some of them are action based and some are stealth based but they are as awesome as you would expect from Kojima. Fox Engine shines on PS4 and the game looks amazing and it is awesome to have MGS in 60FPS. In conclusion GZ is a must have for every stealth lover and MGS fan and no one is forcing you to buy this game if you think its too expensive, PP is not so far away....stay tuned for the main game people and rate this game fairly. Expand
  63. Mar 20, 2014
    Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zero was an OK game. When I first saw the trailer back at E3, I got hyped. Now, after hearing how short it was, I got less hyped. I still game it a shot. Basically, its a $30 demo. I'd rather wait another year and have these parts included in the ACTUAL game. 4/10.
  64. Mar 18, 2014
    * Numerical scores are too subjective for practical use. I grade a score either 10 (Buy This Game), or 0 (Avoid This Game).

Since 1998, Metal Gear Solid has, for its fans, been more than a game - it's been a celebration of gaming itself. I've been a big fan of the series since the PlayStation One debut (I know there were earlier ones, I'm not counting them). Metal Gear games don't come out often, but when they do they're something special. Ground Zeroes is a prologue to the upcoming full game The Phantom Pain. It looks and plays fantastic and I think that any fan of Metal Gear's classic stealth gameplay will enjoy it.

The question I hear a lot is why this title is priced at $29.99. My first run lasted about 80 minutes and in the end I unlocked side missions, weapons, and a new Hard mode. And I'm going back to play it some more because it's that good. I suspect that I will play the heck out of it while I wait for Phantom Pain to come out and I'm glad they released this to tide me over until early 2015. It's worth the 30 dollars for me. I'd rather drop a title from my wish list to make space in my budget than to miss this prologue (sorry, Titanfall). I don't think I'd make a habit out of spending 30 dollars for prologues, but this is a special case for me. I'm glad I picked it up.
  65. Mar 22, 2014
    If you want to pay for demos in the future then go ahead and support this. If not then give the middle finger to Konami and wait for the Phantom Pain. If you're a fan of MGS you already know not to support this.
  66. Mar 20, 2014
    I think this game is amazing, i got peace walker HD as a bonus as well. I bought this and peace walker for a combined price of 25 bucks, that the game was short, didn't bother me, i cant' wait for phantom pain!
  67. Mar 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The atmosphere will clench your chest, and the gameplay is everything you'd hope for. Among other features, the menu offers a wide range of options, more than any previous installment, to tailor to the player's interests. Expand
  68. Mar 18, 2014
    While a huge fan of the series this game is another stellar entry in the series. While we all know the Main mission is short (I beat it in 1 hour 25 min) gameplay wise its the best the series has done. On PS4 this is easily the best looking Next Gen game and the music and voice acting are also some of the series best. The enemies are smarter and the open ended gameplay make it highlyWhile a huge fan of the series this game is another stellar entry in the series. While we all know the Main mission is short (I beat it in 1 hour 25 min) gameplay wise its the best the series has done. On PS4 this is easily the best looking Next Gen game and the music and voice acting are also some of the series best. The enemies are smarter and the open ended gameplay make it highly re-playable. While the ranking system earns you bonus rewards making you wanna replay the missions over and over trying to achieve that glorious S rank. If your a fan of the series buy it ASAP and even for new comers their is a nice backstory to catch you up easily worth the meager 30$. Expand
  69. Mar 22, 2014
    It seemed like a normal game... At first. Until I beat it in thirty minutes. I'm not exactly pressed for cash, but forty dollars for thirty minutes seems a little ridiculous to me and is not a good sign for the upcoming game.
  70. Mar 25, 2014
    Awful... Just Awful. All the fun and interesting features of Metal Gear stealth have all been stripped away. The stealth boils down to spamming tranquillizer darts into enemies. Sneaking has become a joke, it's all about trial and error now. The enemies have a ridiculous line of sight and unlike past Metal Gear games where you can always find places to hide or find ways to concealAwful... Just Awful. All the fun and interesting features of Metal Gear stealth have all been stripped away. The stealth boils down to spamming tranquillizer darts into enemies. Sneaking has become a joke, it's all about trial and error now. The enemies have a ridiculous line of sight and unlike past Metal Gear games where you can always find places to hide or find ways to conceal yourself, in this game the most you can do to conceal yourself is hide behind walls.

Because actually attempting to stealth requires you to restart the game over and over, you'll have a great time constantly skipping the same cutscenes and running back and forth between the cliffs saving prisoners. Eventually you'll be able to beat the stealth, but only after you have memorised the location of every single enemy in every single area and where they move around.

If you don't care about the stealth though, don't get your hopes up. The enemy AI is stupid. Even MGS1 had better AI combat than this. You can literally hide in some small building and just kill the AI while occasionally waiting for your health to regenerate when you get hit. I was able to kill about 500 soldiers just camping in one spot.

Oh and the story itself is a total ripoff. you get about 30 mins worth of cutscenes including the credits. There is only one level, camp omega. every mission takes place in this one level. The main mission takes about as long as the tanker chapter in MGS2, The tanker had at least 40 mins of cutscenes though, and it had a boss. There is no boss fight in GZ though.

The controls seem to have taken a step back from MGS4 and the camera is absolutely awful. Often you'll have an awkward camera placement where you can't see a thing. The cqc has also become overly complicated, most of the actions are based around doing certain combinations while mashing the button or holding it. The old cqc was a lot simpler in my opinion.

The radio chatter in the game is extremely annoying. Miller gives you completely useless information such as "press X to crawl" or "tranquilizers put enemies to sleep". He never has anything interesting to say, no entertaining codec calls. In the cutscenes too, he doesn't sound very emotional. Keither and everyone else manages to deliver an excellent performance.

As short as it is, overall I'd say it has a good story and some of the best graphics I've seen for a console game. But the gameplay itself is too frustrating and tedious, especially the part where you have to carry the prisoners to the chopper. Successfully stealthing shouldn't boil down to trial and error. This game is a massive low point in the series and the quality has dropped significantly. I hope that things are drastically improved for the Phantom Pain.
  71. Mar 18, 2014
    It really is hard to justify purchasing this game for the amount that they are asking for, but what you do get is a brilliant taste of what's to come. I'm a diehard Metal Gear fan, so I may be a little biased to go easy on this, but the gameplay that is present here is awesome. The graphics are the best of this console generation so far, the amount of detail is astounding. There is moreIt really is hard to justify purchasing this game for the amount that they are asking for, but what you do get is a brilliant taste of what's to come. I'm a diehard Metal Gear fan, so I may be a little biased to go easy on this, but the gameplay that is present here is awesome. The graphics are the best of this console generation so far, the amount of detail is astounding. There is more here than people are letting on, and this is definitely a game that warrants multiple playthroughs. Still, for 30 bucks you honestly are not getting enough for the asking price. Recommended for people with burnable income or hardcore Metal Gear fans. Expand
  72. Mar 26, 2014
    if you think that 30 dollar is a steal for this "game"... here it costs 45 dollars. and in stores it costs 60 dollars. so NEVER, I WILL NEVER SUPPORT THIS GAME. in your dreams ....... and even if i bought it , its too short to make an review on, 1 hour????? WHAT THE...
  73. May 11, 2014
    GOOD: Awesome gameplay until it ends abruptly

GOOD: Awesome gameplay until it ends abruptly

BAD: Can be finished in the minimum of 6min(speedrun) and the maximum of 3-hours(taking your time with the main story and side missions) and i'm not counting squeezing the blood from this stone; I finished the main story in exactly 1hour 3min 37sec; Glorified demo especially ,because it doesn't explain who are all these characters to new players like myself; Little amount of story; Complete ripoff, should have been free or $5.00 tops instead of $30.00; Little to no replay ability; Not one **** cardboard box to hide in; NO BOSS FIGHTS; (has nothing to do with the game) Fanboys defend this ****

MESSAGE TO FANBOYS: All of you idiots who defend this **** clearly are okay with less content and with every copy sold, some other companies might do the same thing and some will do worse. I thought you guys were used to cool stories, amazing content, and awesome boss fights all lengthy campaigns, so tell me why you are okay with an unexplainable story, little to no content, and absolutely no boss fights in a demo. This game was originally supposed to be $40.00 and it shows that Konami and Kojima don't give a **** about you and only care about your money. If you truly like this, than buy it and play it for 300 hours while being raped by Kojima in your ass and Konami in your mouth, you are their bread and butter. The rest of us don't like to get raped. I know that there will be more games like this and I will blame Konami, Kojima, and you for buying it. What those companies see is that if you have a lot of loyal fans, they can easily exploit them. I'll never convince you **** dumbasses so I'll rest my fingers.

FINAL VERDICT: Konami, ya done ****ed it up; Kojima, ya done ****ed it up. 0/10! **** this game, don't buy at which ever price(DON'T GIVE A **** IF IT'S FREE) and don't rent it, pretend this **** never released and wait for the Phantom Pain.
  74. Mar 24, 2014
    First of all I'm long time MGS fan. I own copy of every game in the series (including MGS: Integral, MGS2: Substance and MGS3: Subsistence which are my second copies of these games). I'm even planing to buy Japan exclusive Metal Gear 1 and 2 for MSX which I actually played and enjoyed even though majority of MGS players don't give s**t about them because they are old.

I bought Ground

I bought Ground Zeros and I can sincerely say that I wasn't so disappointed for a long time. This "game" is merely a demo which isn't worth it's price because of it's length. It's something that should be available from PSN for about quarter of it's price or bundled with other game like MGS2 Tanker chapter was bundled with Zone of the Enders. No wonder that so many people got so angry because this is nothing more than just another case when big company overconfident in popularity of their game is milking gamers dry. Also no wonder why so many game sites gave Ground Zeros so high score. It's not a secret that lower score than accepted for MGS game means less interviews, promotional materials and early development info on new games from Konami for them. I don't feel sorry for these who are paid to give high score here but I feel real sorry for fanboys who are doing this for free. And you know what's really funny? Ground Zeros will be included with Phantom Pain for a standard price of full game.
  75. Mar 25, 2014
    'Demo' has no qualification for 'Critic Score'.

I'll just wait for 'full retail game'.
    and then, write review that 'full retail game' for critic score.
    So I have no criticism for 'this demo'.
  76. Apr 2, 2014
    I've never done a game review before, but I'll do it for this one - save yourself some money and stay away from this cash-grab of a "game".

Gameplay is 30 minutes, tops. Gameplay mechanics are there, but an awkward shamble when considered together. The story is incomprehensible unless you're willing to devote hours to reading gamelore BEFORE you start. It looks great. That's about

It looks great. That's about the only good thing, here.

Awful, just awful. Stay away and do not buy.
  77. Jul 18, 2014
    This game was about 4 hours long first time playing 1 hour long second time.it was really expensive as well!but at one point there was a reward for finding a secret,this reward was sick,it was a recording of paz having her clothes being ripped off,now I don't know if this was supposed to be a reward or not but if so that's just sick.it was also very dark,overly dark,I mean all of the otherThis game was about 4 hours long first time playing 1 hour long second time.it was really expensive as well!but at one point there was a reward for finding a secret,this reward was sick,it was a recording of paz having her clothes being ripped off,now I don't know if this was supposed to be a reward or not but if so that's just sick.it was also very dark,overly dark,I mean all of the other Mgs games have all been quite crazy and happy but my point is if you want to spend $50 for 4 hours of gameplay then don't go and buy something good like far cry 3 or assassins creed IV Expand
  78. Mar 18, 2014
    My beef with this game isn't exactly the length. I expected a short game, and that's what I got. I loved the graphics and the little bit of story it has is beautiful. Unfortunately as far as game play goes, I felt as if what I was playing wasn't Metal Gear at all. I'm up for change in some aspects, but I feel that this game has departed too far away from what made it an iconic, classicMy beef with this game isn't exactly the length. I expected a short game, and that's what I got. I loved the graphics and the little bit of story it has is beautiful. Unfortunately as far as game play goes, I felt as if what I was playing wasn't Metal Gear at all. I'm up for change in some aspects, but I feel that this game has departed too far away from what made it an iconic, classic series what with Call of Duty style health regen, no roll attack, the lack of original sound effects, the whole no David Hayter thing, and the overall silliness of the series being left to die. Expand
  79. Mar 18, 2014
    Ground Zeroes does everything it was set out to do: Give a taste of the new FOX engine and open world gameplay. Ground Zeroes does these things very well. The animations and graphics are a huge upgrade over MGS:4. The only thing I would say was strange was the exclusion of the cardboard box, but, I cannot penalize the game because it doesn't have an item. Ground Zeroes definitely deserves a 10.
  80. Mar 20, 2014
    Great innovative gameplay. Excellent graphics. Story is fantastic, well set up for being the prologue. The franchise has evolved yet it still remains what it has always been, a Metal Gear Solid game. It is the darkest it has ever been story-wise and Kojima has never given the impression in any of his games that the violence in the franchise is all for show. Ground Zeroes is a display ofGreat innovative gameplay. Excellent graphics. Story is fantastic, well set up for being the prologue. The franchise has evolved yet it still remains what it has always been, a Metal Gear Solid game. It is the darkest it has ever been story-wise and Kojima has never given the impression in any of his games that the violence in the franchise is all for show. Ground Zeroes is a display of the grim reality of war and for those who see no justification for it shouldn't because violence should not be justified. Metal Gear always has a message to pass along about the world through its characters. Ground Zeroes is not the first short-length game with such a price tag. It was no secret before its release, so buy it or don't and move on. It's as simple as that, no need to make such a big fuss about it because it's nothing new. Overall, what matters the most is the content of the game, and Kojima has always delivered high quality content in his MGS games. It seems this new entry in the Metal Gear Saga will only resonate with MGS fans. If people focus only on the time frame and price then the content will be overlooked, but each to their own decision. As for me, the wait continues for The Phantom Pain. Expand
  81. Mar 20, 2014
    Short but sweet! It still feels like a metal gear after all. One of the best games in the saga! My only concern is the price. People complaining about this game are probably HIGH or never played the SERIES before!
  82. Mar 18, 2014
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is a title that will ultimately be judged less on it's own merits and more on the value of money spent and hours played. This is unfair to the title as practically every other game gets a pass in this same department, (Resogun can be completed in 40 minutes, The Bouncer is around the same time, and both carry a 7.5+ user rating) while MGSV:GZ gets judgedMetal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is a title that will ultimately be judged less on it's own merits and more on the value of money spent and hours played. This is unfair to the title as practically every other game gets a pass in this same department, (Resogun can be completed in 40 minutes, The Bouncer is around the same time, and both carry a 7.5+ user rating) while MGSV:GZ gets judged on this fact alone. I will provide an honest review, while I am a huge fan of the Metal Gear saga, it will not affect my decision here.

One major thing that Kojima did right was holding on to the unique Metal Gear art style even with the changing of generations, the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" hold true here and I hope they continue to understand this fact. Graphically the game is alarmingly beautiful on both the PS4 and XBO, neither next gen version of the game looks terrible and the best way to describe it is the XBO version looks amazing, while the PS4 version looks better than that being slightly sharper. While the graphics are in almost every way better than anything we have seen in this new generation, I was blown away at how great hair looks in this game. While the hair impressed me the rest of the game is quite gorgeous through and through with luscious lighting, spectacular shadows, and tantalizing textures.

The game plays extremely smooth, thanks in large part to running at 60 frames per second. This adds a certain level of detail to Big Boss's signature CQC that we haven't seen due to the limitations of the previous games. In many ways this game finally makes Big Boss feel like The Legendary Soldier/Mercenary the game has been proclaiming him to be all these years, giving him full mobility that put MGSV:GZ on par with gaming's best third person shooters. (While this has no bearing on my review score, I can't wait to see how well this works with the new Metal Gear Online)

Unless you have been leaving under a cardboard box (see what I did there) you have heard about the short campaign. I can confirm that the game can be completed in as little at 10-15 minutes and as long as 3-4 hours depending on your play style. The replay-ability of the game is quite vast, I can easily see myself putting 12+ hours in this game playing the scenario out differently each time to find the approach I like best. The two exclusive missions add some benefit, but it really isn't much. I do prefer the "Jamais Vu" mission as it feels like something more than just a reskin, but the "Déjà Vu" mission was a great throwback to the old MGS demo we got with OPM in 1998.

The amount of negative reviews is alarming and unwarranted in the case of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. People constantly use the excuse that you are paying for a demo! The likely hood is these are the same people who bought and never played ZoE ($49.99) for the MGS2 Demo, bought ZoE HD ($39.99) for the MGR:R demo, Buying Crackdown ($59.99) for Halo 3 beta, Buying God of War: Ascension ($59.99) for The Last of Us demo. The entitlement by people giving this game 0-5 is beyond all reason. This game is a 6 on graphics alone and then an extra point or so for the content it provides, Technically this game is a 7.5/10, due to the lack of 1/2 a point I am rating it an 8.
  83. Mar 18, 2014
    MGS GZ Yes its is short. But it is to show case the " Graphics and " Game Play ". The game quality is amazing... I just found out that there is an app, that makes your phone screen like a GPS.. All these trolls, that say its 10 or 20 minutes are crazzzzy... Well is not !!! The guards are very smart... Not like the old days
    It is a very good game for sure... is it worth $20... maybe
    It is a very good game for sure... is it worth $20... maybe not !!! But i spend that much to go to the movies.
    And many times i go home feeling like i did not get my monies worth...
    Please let's give a true review.... if you do not like a game or some parts... just say so !!!
    But give a game a zero... because you said it's 20 minutes is wrong!!

I guarantee that nobody did it in 20 minutes here their first play through!!!

"Let not be trolls"
  84. Mar 18, 2014
    Little faults to the game itself. The main one, is the length.
    you CAN finish the game in 20 minutes if you wish. That reduces from the final value by a lot, and right now I consider it NOT a short game, but a long DEMO, and expensive for a demo.

if the game was even 5 dollars cheaper, it would be easier to recommend, but right now, I can mainly recommend it to loyal fans
  85. Mar 20, 2014
    This game exceeded my expectations greatly. While it does have a short main story the side missions are where the game gets its hours from. I've spent many hours looking for the patches and trying to S rank the missions. The controls are solid and it's a nice change from MGS4. The graphics are amazing, things like the water reflections and the physics on things like cloths are great. ThisThis game exceeded my expectations greatly. While it does have a short main story the side missions are where the game gets its hours from. I've spent many hours looking for the patches and trying to S rank the missions. The controls are solid and it's a nice change from MGS4. The graphics are amazing, things like the water reflections and the physics on things like cloths are great. This game is way over 2 hours and at $30 it's well worth the purchase. Expand
  86. Mar 21, 2014
    $40 for an hour worth of gameplay is bullsh*t. Simply put. If it wasn't the sacred MGS franchise, this game would be getting drilled into the ground. Your basically paying for a demo.
  87. Mar 22, 2014
    Don't buy this game.
    Don't buy this game.
    Not on the basis that it's a bad game, it's a great one; but because sets a terrible precedent. 20 pounds for a game that has up to 5-6 hours worth of gameplay, 1-2 of which is the main story. This is disgusting commercial practice, and it worries me that if this becomes a commercial success, we will see more and more great gaming experiences chopped up with extortionate pricing. The graphics are great, the voice acting is amazing, but despite all the good gameplay and good acting I cannot be engrossed in a game as short as this.
    If you value games, and want great gaming experiences to continue just do yourself a favour and boycott this and play the Phantom Pain when it comes out for your Metal Gear fix.
  88. Mar 31, 2014
    This would make a great free demo, but for $AU40 it amounts to nothing more than blatant exploitation of consumers. There are countless longer, better demos that are free.
  89. Apr 1, 2014
    Everything is great except the length. I was prepared for a short game, but not this short. I heard the main story was only 2 hours long, but I thought it would take me at least 5 hours to beat because I wasn't completely sure what to do on my first play through. 2 hours is also **** I beat the game in only an hour and 20 minuets. I'm feeling completely ripped off, and yes I'm posting thisEverything is great except the length. I was prepared for a short game, but not this short. I heard the main story was only 2 hours long, but I thought it would take me at least 5 hours to beat because I wasn't completely sure what to do on my first play through. 2 hours is also **** I beat the game in only an hour and 20 minuets. I'm feeling completely ripped off, and yes I'm posting this directly after completing it; credits still rolling and everything. Long story short, I want my $30 back. Expand
  90. Mar 18, 2014
    Hideo Kojima said that this game is an early access to TPP which, in other words, means it's a demo, an overpriced demo. I don't care how good MGS is, no game is worth $30 (£25) if it's only 1-2 hours long. Avoid buying this game, even if you're a MGS fanboy, because by buying this game, you're supporting the gaming industry into developing 30 secs game for $60. This game is to trickHideo Kojima said that this game is an early access to TPP which, in other words, means it's a demo, an overpriced demo. I don't care how good MGS is, no game is worth $30 (£25) if it's only 1-2 hours long. Avoid buying this game, even if you're a MGS fanboy, because by buying this game, you're supporting the gaming industry into developing 30 secs game for $60. This game is to trick fanboys into buying this game, don't fall for this scheme. You can defend this game all you want but if a franchise you aren't a fan of does the same thing, you'll be the first in line to complain about how it's a rip-off and the developers aren't being fair to the consumers (pure fanboyism right there). So yes, pretty much my main complaint is the game's short length but that's justifiable giving that the game cost half the full price (no developers should get away with that). If you really want to play this game, wait until it's in the bargain bin since you would still have to wait ages for the actual game anyway. I give this game a 7 because the gameplay is what you would expect from a MGS game. But save your money on other games (or things) or even for the future when the actual game (TPP) finally releases. You'll be glad you didn't have to save up that much. You won't miss out on anything if you watch the walkthrough on YT intstead. The exclusive content for TPP that you get with this game doesn't justify the game for it's short length, not worth it. I don't know about you but I would rather pay full price for TPP (even if I have to wait for it) then pay full price for TPP and pay half for the demo so that I can play a little bit of TPP now. See the difference? Expand
  91. Mar 18, 2014
    I just didnt like it very much. More of a showcase for the new engine than anything else. What little there was of the plot was un-interesting and the SideOps were more like rejected PeaceWalker missions left on the cutting room floor. The infinite ammo helicopter run was my least favorite for obvious reasons.

As for the "new-gen showcase" it looks really good on those systems, but it

As for the "new-gen showcase" it looks really good on those systems, but it definitely shines on ps3/x360 with how well they took advantage of the hardware.

Finally, the replayability factor. Lots of games have this, along with online leaderboards, and a much longer campaign. Not sure how that became the linchpin counter-argument to justify the price of GZ but hey, everyone should spend their money however they see fit. Lets just say I love replaying missions and leaderboards, but this game didnt make me want to do either....it just felt too shallow.
  92. Mar 19, 2014
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is not what the fans of the series wanted. The MGS games had always focused on having a long campaign mode, well written story and amazing boss fights, not replaying the same small level over and over again.

This game has none of what makes MGS great, the campaign can be cleared in about 40 minutes give or take, almost no story, regenerative health and not a single boss fight.

The enemy AI in general is pretty piss poor. You can kill a guy from far away, another one will run up to that exact spot and start shooting at you, you can easily kill him (the enemies don't take cover usually), and then do that to the next guy, and the next, and the next, you can basically keep doing that until you run out of bullets.

Once you are out, you can just hang of a ledge somewhere for an infinite amount of time and the enemies will NEVER find you as long as you are not in their direct line of sight, and if they DO find you, don't worry, it's very hard to die in this game now because they replaced normal health with regenerative health, you can now go full Rambo on your opponents, and then just hide in a corner for 30 seconds when the screen turns read. You can also tag enemies and see them through walls for some reason.

All in all this is a demo, and a poor demo at that. It's short, it's small, and it costs $30, you'd be better off buying a game like Dishonored or any of the Splinter Cell games, basically anything you haven't played yet, I guarantee that you'll have a better experience with it than Ground Zeroes.
  93. Mar 20, 2014
    30 BUCKS FOR A DEMO. In the past the MGS 2 demo was free with ZOE. MGS V is an example of a dirty practice. The main mission is only 1 hour length and the other missions are very stupid.
  94. Mar 19, 2014
    Such a wonderfull experience ! This new take on Metal Gear's gameplay works perfectly well and Ground Zeroes is totally stunning by many aspects. Everything runs smoothly, seamlessly and gives you many epic moments that you'll surely remember. As for the scenario, it's breathtaking and will make you want to know more.

Okay this isn't the full game but it's priced $30 and from what I've

Okay this isn't the full game but it's priced $30 and from what I've played you'll need around 8 hours to beat the content of the game without replaying anything ! With that production value, I'd say it's quite a bargain given that most full priced games come with a solo experience even shorter than that... And for the achiever type, you'll have plenty of things to do.
  95. Mar 20, 2014
    I use to get multiple demos from gaming magazine every month for many consoles that had more gameplay in each one of them than this $30 game, but what do you expect these days when the kiddies are buying $10 DLC packs of costumes? Kids will buy into anything without a single thought process firing in their brains these days.

I miss the old days of gaming. This current gen crap is GARBAGE.
  96. Mar 18, 2014
    Its a prologue, It has never been disguised to be a full game.
    Yes we have all heard about the speed run, however there are loads of side missions etc and as a true MGS fan, Im loving the exploring and doing the missions in different ways each time.
    The graphics are very good, and the gameplay is also good. Yes it is short, however I would rather pay £20 for this instead of buying a
    Its a prologue, It has never been disguised to be a full game.

The graphics are very good, and the gameplay is also good.

Yes it is short, however I would rather pay £20 for this instead of buying a map pack for Battlefield for £15 that should come with the game, or a season pass for titanfall that costs £20 for a horde mode and some more maps, to me this is ripping people off as it should be on the disc.

MGS5 Phantom Pain isn't out for another year, so Im more then happy to pay £20 for this.

I have seen people speed run Zelda Ocarina of Time in 18 minutes, I don't care.
    Don't listen to reviews people, if your a fan of MGS then why are you even on the fence, get this!

NOT voting a 10 as no David Hayter and that to me is a huge kick in the balls.
  97. Apr 2, 2014
    Im so disappointed... Im a big Metal Gear fan, and I always give unconditional support to this franchise, but this game made me rage so much. It can be finished in 4 minutes... Im not kidding, just search on youtube. It took me 1 hour to finish, and I spent a lot of money for it (u$s 50, thats the price of this game in my country). They used to say 'when zero becomes one'... this time theyIm so disappointed... Im a big Metal Gear fan, and I always give unconditional support to this franchise, but this game made me rage so much. It can be finished in 4 minutes... Im not kidding, just search on youtube. It took me 1 hour to finish, and I spent a lot of money for it (u$s 50, thats the price of this game in my country). They used to say 'when zero becomes one'... this time they will stay on ZERO Expand
  98. Mar 19, 2014
    It's clear from the start what this game was trying to accomplish. It's here to give us a taste for the upcoming full release of MGS 5, most likely coming next year. And there's alot to like here. I loved the new gameplay and the open world vibe it had going on. But there's something to be said about the arrogance of Hideo Kojima when he thinks he can release a glorified demo, throw inIt's clear from the start what this game was trying to accomplish. It's here to give us a taste for the upcoming full release of MGS 5, most likely coming next year. And there's alot to like here. I loved the new gameplay and the open world vibe it had going on. But there's something to be said about the arrogance of Hideo Kojima when he thinks he can release a glorified demo, throw in some tacked on side missions, and try to call it a full game. However, there's alot to like here and that's the reason why I'm not blasting this game. The main campaign has a good future if this is the type of game we'll be playing. I loved how everything was done and it came together. Plus, 30 dollars, while high, isn't as high as it once was. If this game was still 40 dollars, I would have given it a zero. But the fact still remains that something that should have been a downloadable only game for about 20 bucks was released as a full title. There's also something to be said about Kiefer Sutherland playing Snake. While he wasn't bad, it just isn't the same as with David Hayter. He WAS Snake and taking him away from the character that made his name is just sad. Plus it just sounds so wrong not to hear the regular Snake voice we've all grown to love. The decision has been made but I can already tell you it was a bad one. Expand
  99. Mar 20, 2014
    i love everything Metal Gear and was very excited to play this. I have to say that i was not disappointing in my experience with it, i found that the sneaking mechanics and the controls in general worked really well. if i had gotten stuck at a part i quickly decided to change my approach to the situation and figure out a better way to do the task. The only thing i didn't like about thisi love everything Metal Gear and was very excited to play this. I have to say that i was not disappointing in my experience with it, i found that the sneaking mechanics and the controls in general worked really well. if i had gotten stuck at a part i quickly decided to change my approach to the situation and figure out a better way to do the task. The only thing i didn't like about this game was that the main story was kind of short, but there's a bunch of side missions that i plan to keep me distracted for more time to come. Expand
  100. Aug 16, 2014
    If you are reading this review then you are one of the unfortunate people that have been robbed by the developers of Ground Zeroes and all I can say is that I am sorry for you and I know how you feel.
    The game itself is the shortest game in the history of all games, it takes you up to one hour to finish the game, and that is if you actually die over and over, which is unlikely to happen because the game is too easy. In essence we have paid for a demo, and yet there are plenty of hardcore fans that refuse to admit it, and because of them I am afraid that this wont be the last time we will pay for a demo unless we seriously boycott this game and start acting against these developers that think that they can make us pay for demos and beta versions of their games. Be warned that if this gets out of hand and we let Kojima get away with this all companies will ask for money even when viewing a trailer of their game.
    The game itself is good, however the length makes it one of the worth games out there today, being only second to Rambo The Video Game.

1. Jul 3, 2014
    There might be an interesting game in this engine, but it’s not here, not yet, and as a result Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is at best a very expensive demo that should only be approached with the lowest expectations.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    May 16, 2014
    Newbies will be lost, veterans not satisfied. It’s firing on all cylinders but the rounds don’t last. Nice showcase of the new engine, though. [Issue#241]
  3. Pelit (Finland)