6.5

1. Apr 14, 2014
    It is not a bad game by far, you an actually play it if you want to, it just is not as fun as I though it would be.
    The story is not good at all and the controls can get annoying I would not recommend this game to anyone
  2. Mar 15, 2015
    *Sigh.*

*Sigh.*

Mash the buttons! Screen fills with so many special effects you can't see 2 feet in front of you. Mash more buttons. You are surrounded by action that is so ridiculously fast, tactics are as impossible as they are pointless. Hold down a button for minute...then mash it. At least the incessant yammering of poorly-written dialogue never stops streaming. More button-mashing. Then you realize: this game is not tense and engaging...it's just chaotic and messy. It's "fun" in the same way a frenetic teenager calls spinning around in a circle and screaming "fun".

Basically, the game backtracks across the time-honored tropes of the space combat genre, accelerating everything to a wholly unrealistic speed and removing any sense of meaningful gameplay. Your chosen armaments, your angle-of-attack, your wingmen, the arrangement of capital ships that are present...mean...absolutely nothing. They're just filler. This is a basic, twitch shooter that has roughly the same level of complexity as a 1980's-1990's video arcade coin-op: 4-way joystick, attack button, and afterburner button. That's. It.

Only, Strike Suit tries to pretend that it's a deep and meaningful universe full of characters that you care about. Except, you don't. At all. I've played for nearly 10 hours now, and I honestly don't remember MY character's (the protagonist's) name.

Mission structure is annoyingly simplistic and predictable. Game mechanics like prioritizing specific ships, torpedoes, etc. are exercises in frustration since you can't simply cycle through targets. You take virtually no damage from one enemy, then the next one will almost one-shot you. Special effects white-out your screen EVERY SINGLE TIME you are hit by so much as a slow-moving pebble. Nearby explosions also blind you and add over-the-top camera shaking. And every single enemy in the game will ignore all other targets and focus on you. If you don't suffer from a seizure, you'll still have absolutely no idea what's going on. What a joy. And when will game developers finally get it through their heads: players do NOT want to be interrupted every 30 seconds to watch a flippin' cutscene! (I believe I counted 12 cutscenes in one mission that lasted about 15 minutes. That's right, almost one cutscene every minute.)

The game is just poor. It's a fun diversion for about 30 minutes at a time. For maybe 2 hours total. Even the game's selling point -- transforming into a "Strike Suit" ala Gundam -- just lets you...attack even faster. No game-changing mechanics. No unique powers or weapons. No memorable moments. Just fire bigger cannons and launch missiles in salvos. I tried to at least finish it, but I really can't be bothered. It's pretty enough to look at, though nothing amazing. And virtually every aspect of its gameplay has been done better by about 20 other titles.

Very hard to recommend, even to dedicated action gamers.
  3. Apr 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fun but short, that sums up this game. it's not as bad as MGS ground zeroes, but this game on PSN for $20 has about 13 main story missions and about 8 extra bonus missions. (mild spoiler warnings ahead)

The game is about a war between the colonies, and Earth. Earth forces get obliterated by a new super weapon and you basically have to help your few remaining ships strike back at the super weapon.

you get to pilot a new ship, called the strike suit. it's a fighter than can transform to a mech looking thing, which lets it fire at multiple enemies. there is also other ships, fighters/ interceptors and even a bomber.

Honestly I enjoy the game but it's just so darn short. I played for 3 hours today (release day) and I am done about 6 missions already so I am 45% done the main story 3 hours in, meaning anyone who plays will be done in less than a week. for $20 I expect 1/3rd a game. which should be 20 hours of play minimum. this game, sadly seems to be leaning more toward a 10 hours of play at most.

I am not sure if it is worth replaying yet, so far, meh. so it isn't looking good. so overall

Fun 8/10 value 4/10 meaning this gets a 5/10.
  4. Jan 27, 2015
    Guns have no weight to them, graphics are early PS3/ 360. Missions are a rinse and repeat structure w no change in pace. Overall just a dry experience, the audio story is lost to the action (radio story telling is just a nope) and and any joy which is derived from gameplay is consumed by the terrible controls. F - Do better next time. Shout out to DREADNOUGHT, I got nothing to do w it butGuns have no weight to them, graphics are early PS3/ 360. Missions are a rinse and repeat structure w no change in pace. Overall just a dry experience, the audio story is lost to the action (radio story telling is just a nope) and and any joy which is derived from gameplay is consumed by the terrible controls. F - Do better next time. Shout out to DREADNOUGHT, I got nothing to do w it but if you're reading this review you're probably keen on that kinda game.

Overall the game is just not fun, and if the game ain't fun it's not worth playing.
  5. Apr 10, 2014
    SSZ:DC is a fun game for Playstation owners that have grown with a Nintendo 64: it resembles the lovechild of Rogue Squadron and Star Fox 64, with a godfather called Wing Commander.

However, the game may seem weird for new players, since the controls are counter-intuitive. You have to try different combinations to find a suitable option - unfortunately, it's impossible to assign buttons, you are limited to 3 kinds of preset controllers and the option to invert Y axis, wich is far from enough - I wanted to switch the analog controllers, but maintain the shoot/throttle scheme, but it was impossible so i had to compromise.

Overall a fun game, but US$ 16 with PSPLUS is a little bit expensive for the whole package.
  6. Oct 5, 2014
    Excellent game with solid game play and functional story. Unfortunately having to push the joystick in to boost is very annoying and cannot be changed as there are only 3 control layouts. For under £7 with Ps+ this is a bargain and has provided me with more fun than the £50 Destiny..
  7. Feb 18, 2015
    First of all, let's talk about the story, which was boring as I didn't care to listen after the the first mission's boring dialogue. However I do know it comes to you through conversations with allied pilots and an AI plus an opening (and ending) cutscene.

The gameplay, on the other hand, is fun when you get used to it (after the first couple of missions) and you really start to float around space easily and you can quickly shoot down other enemy fighter ships. However, the game does become frustrating when you have fight large enemy cruisers and other large warships as you get pulled towards them and when you crash it obliterates your health like nothing else in the game. Because of this I found myself having to attack, retreat and repeat until the ship was eventually destroyed. The strike suit mode (which is this game's entire premise) is very fun and satisfying to use. I just wish we could use the strike suit the entire time as it is superior to the ships in the way it moves and feels. All in all the gameplay is fun and satisfying, but can become frustrating.

A bonus point if this will get you nostalgic is that this game looks like a more modern N64 game. However for all you graphics hounds it still puts forward an attractive space environment and the backdrops for the battles are pretty and are almost like works of art.
  8. Feb 24, 2015
    Well, if you want spaceships on PS4 you don't really have many choices, do you? Shoot some lasers and missiles, have a blast, wish for better space games on console. I mean seriously, I'm pretty sure spaceships with giant guns will continue to sell well to ANY generation.
    Controls aren't fantastic, graphics are pretty but not a ton of texture up close.
    Scratches the space-combat itch
    Scratches the space-combat itch while waiting for something better.

1. Jun 10, 2014
    While Strike Suit Zero has a solid core, it needs more development time and enrichment in nearly every aspect apart from the combat mechanics. Players looking for a megadose of space shooting will find it, but those craving a well-rounded package offering more than just dogfighting should look elsewhere.
  2. The theatre of destruction around your ship will leave you in awe. [June 2014, p.90]
  3. Technically solid and fun to engage with. Its bland narrative and iffy UI will cause genre newbies to eject prematurely. [June 2014, p82]