7.4

1. Nov 5, 2012
    Um, what game did these "video game critics" play? It couldn't be the one with the most interesting lead character (sans Ezio) in the entire Assassin's Creed legacy in the beautiful but deadly Aveline de Grandpre who alone is almost worth the price of admission. It couldn't be the game that transfers to a handheld but gives a robust amount of gameplay, improved fighting mechanics,Um, what game did these "video game critics" play? It couldn't be the one with the most interesting lead character (sans Ezio) in the entire Assassin's Creed legacy in the beautiful but deadly Aveline de Grandpre who alone is almost worth the price of admission. It couldn't be the game that transfers to a handheld but gives a robust amount of gameplay, improved fighting mechanics, different personas to use that effect gameplay, and graphics that are on par to AC:Revelations. This game is incredible. Aveline de Grandpre is instantly one of my favorite video game characters. She's intense, but ladylike. Poised but deadly. A beautiful woman with a poisonous bite if you cross her. I love her. The game is beautiful and fun to play. It's the most fun I've had playing Assassin's Creed....ever. Again, what game did these critics play? This game is awesome. Please Ubisoft, make more of game revolving around AVELINE DE GRANPRE!!!! Expand
  2. Dec 10, 2012
    I'm no fan of the Assassin's Creed series and the reasons are many, and one of these is the repetitive gameplay. I liked how the second tried to make it more varied and, all in all, it's NOT a bad series and actually it's one of the most engaging series ever. However, this is NOT a good game at all. First off, I liked how there's a female character for the first very time and I liked howI'm no fan of the Assassin's Creed series and the reasons are many, and one of these is the repetitive gameplay. I liked how the second tried to make it more varied and, all in all, it's NOT a bad series and actually it's one of the most engaging series ever. However, this is NOT a good game at all. First off, I liked how there's a female character for the first very time and I liked how they tried to use this as an advantage by switching the clothes...but the female character really is bland and she seems more like a puppet in our hands than a true heroine: I never felt her more than an avatar and that's really sad because it had potential, a lot of it. The clothes aren't well implemented as well: they change how you contact the people and, basically, your weapons sets (the lady is usually out of sight and her main weapon is the umbrella blowgun; the slave will be marked the more she acts weird and can't use guns and longswords; and the assassin is basically avoided if you don't want nuisances and can use guns also). But here's the big problem: you always have to change them manually for missions that require different sets, which can be a big problem if you didn't know that before hand (the biggest example was a mission where you had to reach a ship in 1:30 minutes, and I was using the lady dress in that moment). These are the small details however, because the big slap in the face are the missions themselves (even main missions)....and holy hell they are BAD. I'll be honest: I liked how they wanted to make the missions more challenging by adding an extra objective (like reaching point X in less time, kill with specific weapons, and so forth), and surely adds variety to a series who hardly had any....but the objectives are completely cheap! The requests for those extra objectives are completely stupid, because they make missions harder than they should be (biggest examples here are the missions where you have to kill a certain target...they'll make it stupidly harder by asking you to kill them in the most weird ways imaginable). And even if you don't do the extra objectives, here comes another big flaw: the game is glitchy and doesn't fit the clothes system. For instance, if a mission tells you to not be seen, and you get spotted by THIEVES, the mission is over. If a mission asks you stalk someone, you can choose which clothes to use...too bad you will fail the mission if you run away, and so you're forced to accept the mission in the right clothes. Sometimes missions aren't very clear and you will easily fail due to some misleading instructions. Also, the puzzles that uses the Vita features are very badly implemented and sometimes they don't work as they should (the letter opening wasn't working; the light trick works randomly; the pickpocket sometimes won't register my movements). The only good thing is the touch screen which works fine and actually better than I thought, but that's really it. More bugs also keep coming up and so far I don't think there were any patch to fix them up yet. Ah and yes, for a Vita game, is very strong and very good looking, even if there are slowdowns now and then...but good graphics never make a good game to me. All in all, I really didn't enjoy this game a single bit. For fans of the series, it's a good addition and they'll probably ignore most of the flaws, but for anyone else, just look for something else... Expand
  3. Nov 2, 2012
    I don't know why the metascore is so low. I play the Liberation of 15 hour and it's a very good game! The only thing that bothers bugs. You can see that the terms chased, and the publisher wanted to launch the game appear in stores the same day as the stationary version. This doesn't change the fact that Assassin's Creed III Liberation is a must have for owners of PSV.
  4. Nov 4, 2012
    I love this game. Finally something on the vita that looks and plays great. There is some lag but the graphics rock. I only played the first AC, but like this one much better.
  5. Oct 31, 2012
    For a handheld the game is great. We have to remember, Vita games do not get the budget of the console big brothers, yes there are some bugs but they are on the console versions too. If your a Vita owner make this a purchase and enjoy...
  6. Oct 31, 2012
    The BEST AC game EVER on a portable system, and it is almost as good as its console brethren. The world is big and detailed, gameplay is refined and polished, and it is a really long game too. However, it does lose points for framerate issues and not-that-great story. Nevertheless, you do get accustomed to the framerate rather soon, and of course for such a vast and detailed game, thisThe BEST AC game EVER on a portable system, and it is almost as good as its console brethren. The world is big and detailed, gameplay is refined and polished, and it is a really long game too. However, it does lose points for framerate issues and not-that-great story. Nevertheless, you do get accustomed to the framerate rather soon, and of course for such a vast and detailed game, this kind of framerate was kind of expected. Expand
  7. Nov 15, 2012
    I don't trust critics anymore, this game is great, i don't know if that's because i'm a fan of the series, but i really really enjoyed this game, i might even go as far and say i enjoyed it more than the console version, mainly because i hated Connor, this game isn't a 10 but i rated it that way because i'm noticing some trolls are rating it 0 without even playing it, pathetic really, myI don't trust critics anymore, this game is great, i don't know if that's because i'm a fan of the series, but i really really enjoyed this game, i might even go as far and say i enjoyed it more than the console version, mainly because i hated Connor, this game isn't a 10 but i rated it that way because i'm noticing some trolls are rating it 0 without even playing it, pathetic really, my real score is 8.5/10 btw. Expand
  8. Nov 19, 2012
    What an absolute load of rubbish. Nothing works properly. Combat was better on some PS1 games! Free running is lame....doesn't work as well as the previous PS3 games. Collectables are boring. The persona idea is nice but having to go around in the lady persona is just so dull and boring.

The story is actually ok. I liked it. But the thing is the actual gaming aspect is so terrible I can't give this any more than a 4.
  9. Nov 13, 2012
    It feels like it could do better, but to be honest it's a very entertaining game overal. Only the multiplayer is not really what I expected/like, but I never play AC for the Multiplayer but for the single player modes!
  10. Nov 6, 2012
    Great addition to the franchise, I think Ubi did a great job in both Liberation and ACIII at capturing the times. The game play is extremely enjoyable, graphics are superb, combat is fun, not a lot of gimmicky touch controls. Small in game features cause some annoyance such as the challenge of lower notoriety (knit picking here). My main complaint is the lack of a true AC multi-playerGreat addition to the franchise, I think Ubi did a great job in both Liberation and ACIII at capturing the times. The game play is extremely enjoyable, graphics are superb, combat is fun, not a lot of gimmicky touch controls. Small in game features cause some annoyance such as the challenge of lower notoriety (knit picking here). My main complaint is the lack of a true AC multi-player experience. If you are fan of the series, this is a must own. Expand
  11. Apr 7, 2013
    This feels less like a AC game, and more like an entire game of quicktime events. There is little to no actual skill required, simply run along the provided paths (which includes jumping from tree to tree), tap repeatedly for combat, then it's on to the next cutscene, rinse-repeat. There is little 'fun' in 'playing' this game, as you are guided so directly down the path to your nextThis feels less like a AC game, and more like an entire game of quicktime events. There is little to no actual skill required, simply run along the provided paths (which includes jumping from tree to tree), tap repeatedly for combat, then it's on to the next cutscene, rinse-repeat. There is little 'fun' in 'playing' this game, as you are guided so directly down the path to your next objective. Other AC games feel like an open world, but here there's little reason to waver from your objective, and doing so just gets you lost in the jungle.

Thoroughly disappointing experience!
  12. Nov 5, 2012
    Story [5]: The weakest part of the game, it just doesn't come together nor offer much tying you back to the main Assassin's Creed games, but the characters are interesting, voice acting is great, and the locations are really cool and distinct.

Graphics [9]: I am blown away. The graphics hit that 2nd generation PS3 graphic level. The animations are some of the best of the series, and it is just amazing how much they present on this system.

Gameplay [10]: The biased category for sure, but I love Assassin's Creed, and its mainly for the exploration and execution of the game, and not so much for the story (it always was drawn out and convoluted). So, if you love exploring the open worlds finding every sync perch then this game is just as great as all the rest (plus they took out Revelations dumb tower defense game).

Overall, this game is a ton of fun in the palm of your hand. And for that fact alone they give you a great Assassin's Creed game. It easily stands up to all the rest. Though it is not the best, it certainly is not the worst. The gameplay is perfect and though the story doesn't seem to offer much for Aveline or tie very well back to the main thread, it still offers a great experience that shouldn't be missed.
  13. Nov 18, 2012
    I was really impressed when I first started playing this game, but by the end, I was completely let down. I have no desire whatsoever to actually finish all the collection trophies, but unfortunately I will have to. Changing from persona to persona actually became a chore instead of a highlight and the lady persona is completely useless in my opinion. When I finished the campaign I wasI was really impressed when I first started playing this game, but by the end, I was completely let down. I have no desire whatsoever to actually finish all the collection trophies, but unfortunately I will have to. Changing from persona to persona actually became a chore instead of a highlight and the lady persona is completely useless in my opinion. When I finished the campaign I was left scratching my head wondering what had just happened. The fluidity of the game is pretty good, but the fighting actually became boring due to the lack of animation once you actually recycle the same moves over and over again. Expand
  14. Nov 10, 2012
    Liberation stands as one of the most impressive games on the Vita so far. Graphics can be a bit crispy, some textures are just unacceptable and the city is quite small, compared to the console version, but still stands as the most fun and vivid city in any open world game for the Vita. However, this is not a game for Assassin's Creed beginners. Controls feel as smooth as any other homeLiberation stands as one of the most impressive games on the Vita so far. Graphics can be a bit crispy, some textures are just unacceptable and the city is quite small, compared to the console version, but still stands as the most fun and vivid city in any open world game for the Vita. However, this is not a game for Assassin's Creed beginners. Controls feel as smooth as any other home console Assassin's Creed game and by that I mean the most clumsy and complicated controls in any third person action game. There's no background story and you're thrown straight into action, which can be pretty hard to understand. The manual lacks intructions and in-game tutorials are hardly helpful. For instance, some touch controls are just not explained at all and I had to learn how to counter in internet forums. What may break the game even more for some is the huge number of glitches. Every open world has them, sure, but Liberation takes it to a whole new level with save corrupting bugs. Hopefully Ubisoft will take care of it soon.

Although it has some rough edges and it could have been a longer and more comprehensive installment in the series, Assassin's Creed III: Liberation is able to be the very first true Assassin's Creed experience on a handheld console. For AC fans, it's definitely the right time to pick the console.
  15. Nov 2, 2012
    As fully featured as any console game, and every aspect feels like it was given the proper care. Liberation is part of a beloved series, and it can be proud standing beside any other of your Assassin's Creed favorites. If you've been looking for a reason to pick up a PS Vita, this is probably it.
  16. Nov 5, 2012
    As of this writing the user reviews stand at Postitive: 72, Mixed: 6, and Negative:10. In other words, the majority of users really like this game. The Critic reviews currently stand at Positive: 14, Mixed: 13. What's wrong with this picture? Go with the users. The game is amazing. I saw one or two user reviews claim that the graphics weren't up to Vita standards. I'm callingAs of this writing the user reviews stand at Postitive: 72, Mixed: 6, and Negative:10. In other words, the majority of users really like this game. The Critic reviews currently stand at Positive: 14, Mixed: 13. What's wrong with this picture? Go with the users. The game is amazing. I saw one or two user reviews claim that the graphics weren't up to Vita standards. I'm calling 'troll' on that claim. AC:L is almost as beautiful as Uncharted: Golden Abyss. It's basically Assassin's Creed in your pocket and it's awesome. Is it perfect? No. But it's a phenomenal achievement. It plays like Assassin's Creed on the consoles. It looks like Assassin's Creed. No brainer. Expand
  17. Nov 9, 2012
    THE CRITICS REVIEWS ARE FALSE. Don't trust them, they all hate vita. This game is the best game I've ever played on any handheld. Amazing graphics, solid AC gameplay that I expected, and a well processed story. Resistance: BS had poor critic reviews and poor user reviews, but this time, do not trust critics. AC III: Liberation is the best handheld game since peace walker on the PSP.
  18. Oct 31, 2012
    In terms of content and core gameplay, for the most part, this is the Assassin's Creed you know and love. It's missing a few bells and whistles from the console versions but stabbing dudes is undeniably fun as always. Given its content, this game should be a 9, but its brought down by too many strange glitches, bugs, and wierd AI oddities. One time the game would not let me progressIn terms of content and core gameplay, for the most part, this is the Assassin's Creed you know and love. It's missing a few bells and whistles from the console versions but stabbing dudes is undeniably fun as always. Given its content, this game should be a 9, but its brought down by too many strange glitches, bugs, and wierd AI oddities. One time the game would not let me progress through a clearly marked door, and I had to restart the mission, wierd clipping problems are a common problem, sound effects can fail to play back, or occasionally music for that matter (actually, sound is generally not is good as it should be, although this game has a great musical score) NPC's occasionally dont render properly and pass through objects in a wierd sort of way, sometimes the circle button indicator strangely doesn't show its function. I could go on more, but im sure you get the idea. Preformance is also quite sluggish, which is a shame. Visually however, the game generally looks really nice. You may notice a couple of uglies here and there, but for the most part, its definatley one of the vita's better looking titles. It's a shame I have to take off a point because of preformance problems and glitches, but I have always found that a large part of what makes assassin's creed so enjoyable it's wonderful animations and visceral looking action, and the these problems do take away from those high points. In some ways I feel like this game was rushed to release alongside with the console AC3. I was going crazy with exitement towards this games release, and all though in some ways it is dissapointing, in many more ways its a good time. Here's to hoping they release many future passes to polish things up a tad. Oh wait, I also forgot to mention how cool some of the new weapons in this game are. They're awesome. Expand
  19. Nov 12, 2012
    Rushed out game, full of bugs its bad, had to reload 6-7 times to finish the story, the story is akwward. This game was not made in Montreal and was released early it show up. Still a good base for an AC, but disappointing.
  20. Oct 30, 2012
    I am disappointed, Is this a bad game no, but is it really a good game, i see many reviews are playing the game with rose tinted glasses, yes there are some of the great gameplay aspects of assassins creed, but there are huge problems that hurt the game, The frame rate is awful when moving around it slows down all the time and is awful to play, that almost kills the whole game, what makesI am disappointed, Is this a bad game no, but is it really a good game, i see many reviews are playing the game with rose tinted glasses, yes there are some of the great gameplay aspects of assassins creed, but there are huge problems that hurt the game, The frame rate is awful when moving around it slows down all the time and is awful to play, that almost kills the whole game, what makes it worse is that they add in forced touch controls. If you have to play it then you should wait for it to be on sale or used dont support lazy developers. Expand
  21. Feb 28, 2013
    Nice game, good start for AC on Vita.
    Graphics weren't as I expected. Story wasn't that fun. And I couldn't get much out of it. The persona idea was cool.
    I experienced slow downs many times which made the experience awful. I didn't like the protagonist Aveline. Multiplayer was just silly and waste of time. They allocated 5 or 4 trophies for multiplayer which was really so silly and
    Nice game, good start for AC on Vita.
    Multiplayer was just silly and waste of time. They allocated 5 or 4 trophies for multiplayer which was really so silly and boring.
    I'm overall satisfied with the game but not excited or impressed. Worst int he series actually. Given that I didn't play Bloodlines to compare it with Liberation.
  22. Oct 30, 2012
    I played the game non stop ever since it arrived (save for a few breaks) and have the story mode (although there are a tonne of side missions to do, as well as unlocking the 'real ending') - and all I have to say is wow. The first 20 or so minutes had me really worried, the graphics were poor, the gameplay felt stiff, but all that changed once the game truely opened up and stopped holdingI played the game non stop ever since it arrived (save for a few breaks) and have the story mode (although there are a tonne of side missions to do, as well as unlocking the 'real ending') - and all I have to say is wow. The first 20 or so minutes had me really worried, the graphics were poor, the gameplay felt stiff, but all that changed once the game truely opened up and stopped holding my hand. This is the true AC console experience on the handheld. I will say this much, power through the first couple of mins, it paints a sour picture of the game. The graphics become smooth and beautiful once you get further in, and the frame rate remains consistent. The gameplay is standard AC fare, which is a very good thing ! It's great how the game incorporates AC3s mechanics, keeping it up with the latest entry rather then stripping of features. There is a LOT of content in this game, and I can happily say as a huge fan of the Assassins Creed series, this is up there with its console counterparts rather then the subpar portable games. BUY THIS NOW ! Expand
  23. Nov 12, 2012
    It is a great portable option one of the best on the vita. The question is should we lower our standards just because a game is handheld....? The answer is no. That being said that is what many people are doing. I hold sony to their promise of console gaming on the go. The Graphics are blurry during cut scenes and the persona system is pretty stupid in my eyes. I thought it was going toIt is a great portable option one of the best on the vita. The question is should we lower our standards just because a game is handheld....? The answer is no. That being said that is what many people are doing. I hold sony to their promise of console gaming on the go. The Graphics are blurry during cut scenes and the persona system is pretty stupid in my eyes. I thought it was going to add a layer of depth to the game which it did not it told you which ones to use when which took control out of your hands. To sum this up. Very good handheld but we need to hold these companies to higher standards. Expand
  24. Jan 12, 2013
    This is the first portable Assassins Creed game to really feel like an Assassins Creed game to me. The visuals are great, the voice acting is well done, and the atmosphere is very good. The music is good and mostly non-intrusive as well. The story is very well done as well. It fits in the the Assassins Creed 3 theme very well.

The controls are pretty easy to figure out. There is a level

The controls are pretty easy to figure out. There is a level of complexity to it all, but it's not over the top, and it's pretty easy to figure out. There's a good variety of places you go to as well.

The game is far from perfect, but it is still a good game, one that is great to play through once and one that I can easily see myself playing through multiple times.
  25. Oct 30, 2012
    How awesome could a handheld game get? This awesome. AC III: Liberation is surely a buy. It has insane graphics, a slow, but well told story, and very good gameplay. A buy for anyone with a vita.
  26. Sep 10, 2013
    This game has a boring story that is hidden away from you, poor voice acting, bad sound effects, bad visuals and performance (It barley runs over 18fps), bugs are some of the issues this game faces. These developers were so lazy that they didn't even include a sound effect for the whip, the only new weapon type in the game.

I would be ok with all of this if it weren't for the tedious

I would be ok with all of this if it weren't for the tedious sound track, forced play as the lady persona missions and forced (And awful) puzzle mini games.

The more I want to like this game the less I do. This game was a lazy attempt at bringing the franchise to Vita. I get the feeling that they were just trying to make a mobile engine so that they can port the game to iphone if it works out.
  27. Dec 15, 2012
    I bought this game about 3 weeks ago,and i love it.Controls are just like in "big consoles".Graphics are awesome,animations are sweet.But music is quite bad,each city had each song.The game is worthy of my 9/10.
  28. Oct 30, 2012
    Awesome game, without a shred of doubt, the closest thing to a next gen home console game on any portable device. Stunning graphics, enjoyable gameplay and nice length
  29. Oct 30, 2012
    Not quite AC3 on PS3 but a darn sight closer than any of the psp assasin's creed games. A reallly good realization of the AC world filled with NPCs, bringing the setting to life. Must buy IMO
  30. Oct 31, 2012
    If you like smooth games, this isn't for you. If you wan to take my word for it you can stop here but I will elaborate for you skeptics. Yes this is a full assassin's creed game on the Vita and yes the idea alone is amazing but nearly every time you try to sink your teeth in the game shake you loose. The world of Liberation is hard to enter because of the poor graphics (And though I'm notIf you like smooth games, this isn't for you. If you wan to take my word for it you can stop here but I will elaborate for you skeptics. Yes this is a full assassin's creed game on the Vita and yes the idea alone is amazing but nearly every time you try to sink your teeth in the game shake you loose. The world of Liberation is hard to enter because of the poor graphics (And though I'm not picky about graphics these are not up to par with the vita's potential), the character is hard to relate to because of a jumpy explanation, and the gameplay is hard to be enthralled in due to a random frame rate drops and poor touch controls. I recommend this game only to the die hard fans or desperate vita owners everyone else will have a difficult time joying this. Expand

1. Dec 18, 2012
    A match for its bigger cousins on the surface. But dig deep and liberation starts to unravel. [Jan 2013, p.80]
  2. Dec 7, 2012
    Even though the visuals suffer in their tininess, none of the basic Assassin's Creeding is compromised. This is a full-blown counterpart to Assassin's Creed 3, with its own setting, style, character, and location. Bravo, Ubisoft.
  3. It's the glitches and game-breaking annoyances that most let things down. [Christmas 2012, p.96]