8.8

1. Aug 6, 2013
    Wow Does this game pop.. I'm so excited at just how badass it turned out.

The artwork is phenomenal, and with the Vita screen it's just mesmerizing. I've got my first character started and already have my eyes on my character for my second playthrough.

The loot system is really good... driving but not cheesy or used as a constant crutch against the player. I don't like games that
    make the grind tedious.

Wow... this game is awesome.
  2. Aug 7, 2013
    This game is perfect in every way.
    The art is beautiful, the animations are top notch.
    It's just an overall amazing game and a must own for Vita and PS3.
  3. Aug 9, 2013
    I highly recommend Dragons Crown for the PS VITA to annyone who has the slightest interest in old school hack'n slash and brawlers with RPG elements. It is almost a miracle, that a software company is making such gems nowadays.

It has often been stated around here and yet, it can not be praised highly enough, for the outstanding amount of finest 2D artwork and animations the gaming
    world has ever faced. But that hardly makes it the masterpiece that it is. The gameplay is smooth, offers great replayability and is engaging in that old-school coin-up arcade sense. Of course it gets hectic, its in the nature of the gamedesign and never annoying but often fun. Didn't Co-op'd now but even playing alone is glorious fun, as the AI is doing a great job.

The voiceover and the soundtrack rounds it up pretty nicely. At this point I just hope that it wont be the last title from Vanillasoft on the PSVITA. It's a rare gem, go get it!

P.S.: Who gets offended by the proportions of the characters shouldn't touch it. But it shouldn't be downrated because of it it's the games stylized artwork. No Comic gets downgraded and no movie just because of it. Just saying....
  4. Aug 20, 2013
    Dragon's Crown will probably end up being my game of the year. Amazing art direction and aesthetic, super fun gameplay, decently high skill ceiling (at least for Elf), and a God-tier soundtrack. My only complaint is similar to that of other Vanillaware games... not enough content. Admittedly I've played the game for ~55 hours so far and haven't felt this to be an issue, but I can see how it would be for some. The randomized Labyrinth of Chaos end-game dungeon definitely alleviates this complaint to a degree, but you have to play through the first 9 stages/18 paths quite a few times before unlocking it fully.

The Vita version has a few ups and downs compared to the PS3 version. The touch functionality for unlocking chests and doors/finding sparklies in the background is definitely superior to the PS3's cursor method; however, the Vita version has more areas with FPS slowdown. If you're an Elf it's also worth noting that it's a bit more difficult to find arrows lying on the ground on Vita's smaller screen.
  5. Aug 8, 2013
    It only took about 1 hour of game-play to get completely HOOKED on this game. It's so difficult to find a single flaw with this game!!!!!

If someone wanted to buy a vita SOLELY for the ps4 remote play, THIS GAME SHOULD BE REQUIRED AS WELL! It's just too awesome.
  6. Aug 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If u like Games Dungeons & Dragons Series then don't miss it, this is look similiar. I didn't know what i can say again, but just one word this games is Perfect for 2D RPG Artwork in PSVita. Thx for the art design George Kamitani, u are the best man...salute Expand
  7. Aug 8, 2013
    Absolutely great. Anyone that was a fan of the old school SNES game King of the Dragons will feel an immediate connection.

Must own for Vita owners
  8. Oct 20, 2013
    Before I say anything, let's just get the ridiculously overblown discussion of big women out of the way. Yes, large breasts, but put it into perspective, by acknowledging that everything is larger than life in Dragon's Crown, and the "big deal" is swiftly quashed. Gamers who dwell on the issue any more than that, need to grow up and stop trying to appease the PC (politically correct) crowd. A group that continues to grow as more people who have nothing better to do and almost want to be offended just so they can have a moan at something and/or someone jump on the wagon of gloom.

OK, back to business. Dragon's Crown on Vita. Well, for me (and I own/have played pretty much every Vita title) it's the best game the handheld currently has to offer. The visuals, audio and gameplay are all top notch. The balance of side scrolling beat 'em up action and RPG implementation is perfect. The characters all have their unique appeal and most importantly, this game is FUN.

If you have fond memories of Renegade on the Spectrum, Double Dragon and/or Final Fight on Coin-Op and even later, well made side scrolling fighters, then Dragon's Crown will really do it for you. Even younger gamers, who have no idea what Double Dragon is, will love the simple depth and pick-up-and-play quality. It's pretty much the ultimate culmination of years of RPG side scrolling action all rolled into one superb package.

I've heard quite a lot of talk surrounding performance on the Vita. I've not seen any drop in frame rate (and I'm a stickler for smooth gameplay) although I only play through the game on my own or with one AI companion. So yes, off or online with three other companions is no doubt the reason behind slowdown. Like I say, I play mostly alone and besides, I think four characters together on the Vita screen would be too much going on anyway. I play with one or two and that's how I like it. Silky smooth.

The good thing about the Vita version (if you're pondering the Vita or PS3 version due to NO cross-buy) is the excellent touch screen feature. Yes, a game that actually makes good use of what is usually considered a gimmick. In Dragon's Crown, it's perfectly intuitive to touch the screen here and there to send your rogue off to open treasure chests and doors whilst you thrash the enemy. On the PS3, you have to use the right stick and, although not a bad thing, it feels clumsy compared to the quick and easy Vita version. As well as that, the Vita touch controls work well in most areas of the game. Also, in my opinion, the style of Dragon's Crown suits the handheld more than the big screen. Pick it up, put it down, pick it up, put it down.

Although, saying that, Dragon's Crown is the only Vita game I've played that draws me in so much I've spent hours playing in one sitting. To want to sit and play at home when I've got a PS3 and gaming PC and spend hours at a time playing a handheld game is very high praise indeed.

I don't like to give 10/10 for anything, because nothing is perfect, but considering the Vita library and the simple fact that Dragon's Crown is hard to put down, a top score is justified.

Outstanding handheld gaming.
  9. Aug 10, 2013
    Outstanding game, The design, gameplay and co-op multiplayer are Amazing. Really worth the money.

10 points to the game and 10 points to Atlus for saving the idea and take the risk with this game.
  10. Sep 5, 2013
    So I got Dragon's Crown and the game delivers. Fantastic game. It's an old school beat-em up game with RPG elements. This is not a professional review but I'll write a little about this game.

You'll pick one of the 6 available characters and, unlike most games in this genre, the characters really play different. You'll be upgrading your character with common skills and skills unique to
    your class. You'll find powerful and enchanted weapons, armour and items. In case you are wondering the armour and items doesn't change the appearance of your character, but you can customize your character's name and color swap.

The level design is a little weird. There is this town with common locations like the tavern, temple, Mage's tower, adventurer's guild, castle and stables among others and a gate that will take you to your adventure. The first levels you'll play solo but after you beat the 9 missions available multiplayer will be unlocked and it's fantastic. You'll be playing any of the 9 missions again and again but now there is another path available for each of those missions, a different boss included, so that gives us 18 stages.

There are a ton of quests with secret rooms, hidden objects, challenges with regular enemies, bosses, etc. Those quests give you experience, unlocks art (the art is fantastic!) and skill points to upgrade your character.

The soundtrack is good too, at first I didn't notice but when the credits were rolling I realize how much I like it. The graphics are fantastic, the game looks like a living paint. There has been some controversy for the art style of the game, specially for the over-sexualized female characters but the art is consistent, the Amazon and the Sorceress are just as exaggerated as the Fighter or the Dwarf, and you can appreciate this even in the monsters. For some people this is offensive but for others it's part of the charm of the game.

As I write this I've played with a single class. I'm very happy with the game. I'm hooked, I want to continue playing to reach level 99, beat the whole thing and then jump into the next class to start again.
  11. Aug 27, 2013
    An Excellent revival of a near dead genre that takes a lot of influence from previous games of it's genre. The multiplayer experience local or online is great, and it is set up to have a lot of re-playability for fans of the genre. The additional quests add a lot to explaining a bit of the world background and lore without being too in depth.
  12. Oct 12, 2013
    In short: This is a fantastic game that is different to most of the other games out there. If you ever played golden axe, streets of rage, double dragon or battle toads as a kid, you know what you're getting into. To bring these games up to date, the developers have added a large dose of RPG which adds meaning to one of the game's minor downfalls: repetition. What you get is a well made and beautifully drawn 2D action RPG.

The fighting is accessible but deepens with unlockable upgrades and moves and each of the characters is well balanced and has a role to play. Make sure your party is balanced too!

The co-op is great and works well (but why oh why does it take so long to get to it?) and easily elevates the game; everything's more fun with friends.

I've read many cries of sexism levelled at this game due to the revealing nature of some of the characters outfits. It isn't and I'll explain why. I'm going to start with a definition of sexism: Sexism is prejudice or discrimination based on a person's sex. Now In this game, not only do you have buxom maids with cleavages only just staying in their not-fit-for purpose dresses, you also have muscle bound heroes showing tight pectorals and defined six packs. BOTH sexes are sexualised.

Really it becomes a question of censorship. Are the characters too revealing? It's certainly not a game for the very young anyway.

Don't worry about the fact that this looks a bit like a title you would find on the PS network or Xbox live arcade. It's much more than that and this will become evident as you play it. I will say though it could do with some more environments. I can understand that they must have taken a long time to draw, but the game would be improved by adding more, perhaps via DLC?

Ultimately this is an excellent game on PS3 and Vita, with the main difference between the two being a larger viewing area on PS3 and less slowdown compared to a better control scheme on the Vita that uses the touch screen.

Which ever one you would prefer, If you consider yourself a gamer, you owe it to yourself to support unusual games like this one. Here's hoping for more diversity like this in the future.
  13. Aug 14, 2014
    Excellent game! Great visuals and sound, fun gameplay and very addictive! Also was surprised to discover it has multiplayer functionality too.
    Very recommended!
  14. Mar 20, 2014
    A rather addictive role-playing beat-em-up game with catchy gameplay and eye-candy vanillaware-style graphics. The battle system is well balanced and is not only button mashing: you really need to know how to play your class to succeed.
  15. Dec 15, 2013
    This game is cool, if oyu like old style brawlers and if you will like the graphics style. And, of course, you need 2-3 friends to play with, because it is hard to find any players if you are a new player. The loot system is nice, random generated (this is my thought, through..) items, so you have to choose from. 6 classes, every is different, you will spend a lot time on each of it. The story is simple, and you do not have to waste a lot of time to understand what does the authors want to say to you.

bad parts:

*you need friends to play with, cause after 20+ lvl AI heroes do stupid things, sometimes )
    *when on screen too much players, magic, monsters... you can't understand where are you, and what is going on at all, i'm doing double jump or something to just see my hero in situations like this.
  16. Mar 1, 2014
    Wonderful game, it's really gorgeus, especially in the original Psvita screen, the game is a blast, it remember me the time in the snes playing RPG in 2D, the game is amazing at the point that all the person that has a PSvita need to have the game, the PS3 version is good, but, the PSvita version is better, the controlls and the touch interface made the game more comfortable that is in PS3.

In you're a PSvita player this game will be the right choice, absolutely gorgeous.

To the sound, i give it a 10.
    To graphics, a 10.
    to gameplay a 10.
  17. Jun 6, 2014
    If one game deserves a 10, it's this one. Music is fantastic, artwork mindblowing and color palet is excelent on vita. Everything is vivid and fun. It plays like old D&D and Golden axe on arcades. It has moves, leveling, looting which can be par on par with todays ARPGs in the terms of add ons. They don't change gameplay (like in TL2 or D3) but they have a nice impact. You get skills which you can apply as you level up to one of the 6 classes and for each of them there is a neutral skill tree with buffs.
    I recommend this game, it's a blast, combos are great, magic is excellent and everything is just as it should be... Combat is fast and responsive, but hits do carry weight behind them which is nice to see how different character and weapons behave.

1. Jun 13, 2014
    Dragon's Crown pays tribute to the cult of sword and sorcery. The obvious choice for all treasure, hack and slash, and the old but gold 2D beat them ups lovers. You just need to prepare for the inevitable grind, and you may set forth upon your adventure with a capital A.
  2. Oct 31, 2013
    Dragon’s Crown is, without a doubt, the most ambitious, most accomplished brawler of this generation. Fans of the genre have something here that will keep them busy far into the next generation, with the game providing hundreds of hours of content for those willing to put the time in.
  3. Oct 18, 2013
    Mix Castle Crashers with Golden Axe and just a hint of Final Fantasy and you’ll end up with Dragon’s Crown. Works better on PS Vita rather than the Playstation 3.