Dungeon Hunter: Alliance PlayStation Vita

6.4

1. Feb 21, 2012
    Visually it's acceptable for a PSP release, but I don't think it's good enough to be a Vita game. Nothing stood out, which I think for the RPG genre it really needs to be something special. On a personal note, I found it very disappointing that it's a port of the same game...but it's more expensive for the Vita.
  2. Sep 5, 2014
    The game can be fun at times but that is usually overshadowed by the frame rate issues, the lack of interesting weapons and the very linear story even though it is technically an open world game. i would only pick this game up if it was 10 dollars or less. preferably free on playstation plus. this game is okay but gets boring after a while. I recommend sticking with Diablo or Torchlight
  3. May 27, 2014
    As I play this game I think only one thing... How "hack&slash"/"RPG" game can be sooooooo boring...
    And more than that: why FPS drops sooo badly in the game? Couldn't they optimized graphic to PS Vita? It is possible!
  4. Jan 17, 2016
    I've spend about 5 hours on this game. At first it looks fine, action rpg on the go. but flaws soon became apparent. What bugs me the most is that at least half of them could be addressed with an update, but I guess Ubisoft doesn't care, he got our money after all, end of story for them.
    I started with mage class, and this is where part of the problem comes from, the game is not made for ranged class. First rule of ranged class is to keep enemies at the distance. Well, here it's going to bite you in the posterior. Enemies have range where they'll follow you, rather short one. If you go beyond it, while trying to keep beyond their reach because you're ranged, they'll stop and go back where they came from. What's bad about it is, they heal up when they "loose" interest. So if you have higher class of enemy in front of you that's not funny. Now, you could run around them to keep, but unlike let's say Diablo, that has open spaces, here 90% of levels are actually paths that you must follow, there is no terrain to be explored, just go straight. That also makes it difficult to maneuver, and in some cases impossible. When I gave up I was in a cavern that's so narrow that only one character can pass, I have two of those higher class enemies in front of me. If I shoot and backpedal a bit they'll reset and I have done nothing. If I don't backpedal they'll block me from moving at all and kill me in few hits (already happened 5-6 times, then I gave up).
    Oh, they also have some attack that stuns you, when that happens you get picture of vita on the screen and text "shake". Shake how? Left - right? Up - down? Forward - backward? Don't know, nothing seemed to work, it lasts the same if I don't do anything at all. And they can repeat it for as long as they want, or their random number generator tells them to. I got killed because that was the only move they used, it stuns you and takes about 1/6 - 1/5 of your health. I wish I had some move that could stop them like that, without cooldown... I guess some of these issues wouldn't be an issue if I chose warrior class, he needs to be next to enemy to hit it after all. But I think that range reset thing could be fixed by simply extending it few times, or at least disable their healing.

There are more things, like zoom reset. You can zoom and unzoom with pinch gesture (like on cell phone), of course, when you play it's better to see further away so you un zoom (but even like this ranged enemies can shoot at you from beyond your sight range). Then you come on some plot part that something like cinematic and when you get control back your zoom is reset and you have to repeat it. To make it better I have to try it few times before it actually figures I want to change zoom.
    Then there's level imbalance... I was following story, killing everything along the way and doing quests but still, I came to part of the game where enemies were level 9 and I was level 7... Was I supposed to grind few levels? I don't know, there wasn't any kind of hint about it...
    Also, every so often game starts to loose frames, it happens randomly, even without any enemy on screen.

All in all, if you get it for free great, it's OK, but after paying for this game... I feel like an idiot...

1. Apr 21, 2012
    The hack 'n slash role playing game Dungeon Hunter Alliance is a lot cheaper on other platforms, and for that reason alone not recommendable for purchase on a PS Vita. From a gameplay perspective, this isn't a bad game, but it doesn't shine anywhere either.
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Apr 12, 2012
    The gameplay is very much by-the-numbers for the genre. [May 2012, p.81]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 11, 2012
    Trite, boring and not at all compelling. Don't even bother waiting for it to hit the bargain bin, just leave it to rot. [April 2012, p77]