6.8

1. Feb 14, 2013
    While there's undoubtedly an awful lot to like about Knytt Underground, a couple of unsavoury aspects of the game really tarnished the whole experience for me. First of which is the characters, and moreover, the graphical design of them. I'm so sorry, but they look plain ugly. Freakishly so, leading me to frantically skip past segments of dialogue far too often. Meanwhile the second issueWhile there's undoubtedly an awful lot to like about Knytt Underground, a couple of unsavoury aspects of the game really tarnished the whole experience for me. First of which is the characters, and moreover, the graphical design of them. I'm so sorry, but they look plain ugly. Freakishly so, leading me to frantically skip past segments of dialogue far too often. Meanwhile the second issue surrounds exactly that the rubbish that spewed out of their mouths. Extended conversations with NPC's began to grate, and it just smacked of someone trying far too hard to be funny. And as a result, succeeding only in coming across as wholly immature. Thankfully however, the fabulous metroidvania-style, secret hunting, exploration, and wonderfully moody backdrop saved the day for Nifflas Co. All things considered, I'd still recommend Knytt Underground, particularly so to existing fans of the Knytt series, but with a caveat of proceeding with caution for everyone else. Expand
  2. Jul 27, 2013
    Gets really repetitive and boring after a while...still can be fun to play for about 10 hours. Since I got it free from PS+, then I can't complain....or can I? Ummm...just checked and no, I can't complain.
  3. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is a solid indie platformer, but a huge step back compared to a original Knytt. I am a big fan of Knytt Stories, in fact I think it is best indie platformer of all times along with a Cave Story. Saira was a first huge disappointment for me both in terms of graphic style and changed gameplay. And I HATE see Nifflas used same extremely boring black-silhouette design. TheThis game is a solid indie platformer, but a huge step back compared to a original Knytt. I am a big fan of Knytt Stories, in fact I think it is best indie platformer of all times along with a Cave Story. Saira was a first huge disappointment for me both in terms of graphic style and changed gameplay. And I HATE see Nifflas used same extremely boring black-silhouette design. The pseudo-realistic background is not very good aesthetically in my opinion, but it certainly does not looks ugly. But the fact that 80% of the game screen is black is freaking annoying. I am making such a big accent on a graphic aesthetics since the visuals are like 80% of the previous games charming nature. After 15 minutes in a Knytt Underground EVERY FREAKING SCREEN LOOKS THE SAME. The fact that game design is now much more linear in nature that may bore you to death.You are literally walking the hand-drawn line in a black landscapes and that does not look fun or original, in fact this looks sinister. Newly introduced NPC's are very annoying, dialogs are rude, quest looks very forced and repetitive. Basically it's always "hit a wall, go back, collect some whatever, return to an NPC".

TL;DR: Due to the constantly same level styles, same design, same repetitive process game is EXTREMELY BORING. Gameplay may look like a solid well-designed platformer, but it is lifeless, forced, there is literally no exploration.
    This game is nothing compared to Knytt / Knytt Stories or even a Deep Forest.
  4. Jan 23, 2014
    An atmospheric platformer based on exploration is an idea that seems like something I'd really enjoy, but I did not like it. The game was fun for about an hour but after the initial wow factor for the visuals wore off, there was just a below average platformer. It was kind of just walking from room to room. There's just something about it that didn't make it that special and I didn't wantAn atmospheric platformer based on exploration is an idea that seems like something I'd really enjoy, but I did not like it. The game was fun for about an hour but after the initial wow factor for the visuals wore off, there was just a below average platformer. It was kind of just walking from room to room. There's just something about it that didn't make it that special and I didn't want to keep going after a little bit of player. Expand
  5. Jan 6, 2013
    I was an **** to Knytt Underground in my first review and realized after playing it some more that its just me being harsh. Knytt Underground is a beautiful game with great platforming. While the story bonding it is poor, its not poor enough to slate it to **** I like this game and hope it is on of many to come.
  6. Dec 27, 2012
    So I decided to download this game when I saw it on the PS Store, so I came in with no expectations and no idea what the game would play like bar a quick watch on youtube. It's an adventure platformer with some of the most unique and visceral level design I've been lucky enough to play. You can run around in this game endlessly and take in each area as the soothing soundtrack quietlySo I decided to download this game when I saw it on the PS Store, so I came in with no expectations and no idea what the game would play like bar a quick watch on youtube. It's an adventure platformer with some of the most unique and visceral level design I've been lucky enough to play. You can run around in this game endlessly and take in each area as the soothing soundtrack quietly serenades you in the background. Unfortunately it's let down by the story in my opinion with d the dialogue lacking when moving through chapters it can become a chore completing quests, the characters depend on you but you feel no motivation to get the job done for their well being instead it's just you on an adventure filling out the map as you go through undiscovered area's and find as many collectibles as you can, during the process you'll complete most of the game (how I did it) and with it hours will have gone by. It's one of those strange games where the story is seriously put on the back burner to the experience you get from just taking in the unique aspects of this game. It the story had more to it this game would have most likely been an 8 I'll give it a 7 as I really enjoyed the exploring and soundtrack. It's let down by a lack of variety in gameplay with limited control but made up for by the gorgeous graphics and scenery. Definitely worth a try at least and you'll find yourself getting sucked in. Expand

1. Jan 19, 2013
    Knytt Underground relies on exploration and on the charme of the environments, giving to the player the possibility to discover a gigantic subterranean world.
  2. Jan 11, 2013
    Knytt Underground is sure to be one of the most controversial games of the year. It's daring in all the right ways, poking at hot topics and digging into the origins of religion. Even if you ignore the deeply personal narrative, you'll find that Knytt Underground offers one of the most elaborate game worlds ever created. It's a marvel that will keep you going for dozens of hours!
  3. Jan 7, 2013
    Knytt Underground is a sensory journey to live. The gameplay is well built, but the real strength of this game lies in the plot and in the effectiveness of graphics and sound.