Knytt Underground PlayStation Vita

6.8

1. Jan 7, 2013
    Having played through both Within A Deep Forest and Knytt/Knytt Stories and other Nifflas games, Knytt Underground was a game I've been waiting for for a long time. The three original games, to which Underground is a continuation, were extraordinarily atmospheric games with very minimalistic plot, graphics, music and (in a way) gameplay. Yet the simplicity of all the constituent partsHaving played through both Within A Deep Forest and Knytt/Knytt Stories and other Nifflas games, Knytt Underground was a game I've been waiting for for a long time. The three original games, to which Underground is a continuation, were extraordinarily atmospheric games with very minimalistic plot, graphics, music and (in a way) gameplay. Yet the simplicity of all the constituent parts combined into magically immersive experiences. Knytt series had a more open and exploratory gameplay, while WADF also had some inventive puzzles and Metroid-like progression system. Both series also had expansive and open worlds to explore.
    Knytt Underground attempts to combine the two series. You play as a sprite, with gameplay similar to Knytt, but you can transform your character into a ball at any moment, which turns the gameplay into WADF. Many puzzles are built around shifting between the two forms at the right moment. The ball also has a sort of energy lasso thing, which allows it to swing off some special objects. The game has three formal chapters with some extra levels (interludes, demo, etc)
    Now, in terms of gameplay and atmosphere, it's the same good old Knytt, only with more focus on progression and less freedom. You will quite often encounter closed doors which will require you to solve a puzzle or complete a fetch quest (which are, by the way, consciously criticised both by the main characters and the quest-providing NPCs as being boring and unnecessary). The quests aren't boring though, as they involve lots of interesting exploration and puzzle solving. The controls feel sharp and the switches between the sprite and ball form are seamless and immensely satisfying.
    A big change to the formula is the plot. Unlike the previous Nifflas games, Underground has a lot of dialogue, and the premise itself is quite detailed in comparison to Knytt/Knytt Stories. There are lots of NPCs which will give you quests or information. The dialogue can be really goofy at times, like when one of the main characters starts swearing like a drunk stevedore and acts like a typical edgy teenager IN ALL CAPS. The plot examines themes of religion, ambition, faith, technology, metafiction and all sorts of other things. It even tries to be philosophical at times. In all, the addition of a detailed story put me off at first, as it seemed to brake the atmosphere, but then it got more interesting and engaging.
    The graphics are gorgeous. The style is borrowed from Saira, one of Nifflas previous games. It incorporates phototextures with vector graphics and pretty nice particle FX. The colors are vivid and there's a lot of that fine detail and movement for which Nifflas is famous. The characters look pretty cheap though, like they were taken from some facebook or iPhone flash game. Seriously. Also, sometimes its way too dark. But overall, the graphics are great, especially considering the amount of unique content that was created pretty much by hand.
    The world map is HUGE. It's the kind of game that you won't be able to finish in one evening. And, considering all the secrets and extra contents, alternative paths and hidden rooms, you'll spend quite a lot of time finding all that. It doesn't get old though. You'll want to come back for more and more.
    Overall, I enjoyed Knytt Underground a lot. The addition of an RPG-like storytelling is a bit controversial, but it works fairly good. And the atmosphere is as immersive as ever.
  2. Dec 28, 2012
    I gave Knytt Underground a go on the PS Vita because it was offered as part of the PS Plus membership. I have been really enjoying the experience so far. Knytt Underground is a fairly atmospheric 2d platformer/rpg. The graphical style is in a sense lo fi but has quite a unique feel to it and it suits the game well and looks great on the Vita. The main draw is exploring and exploring inI gave Knytt Underground a go on the PS Vita because it was offered as part of the PS Plus membership. I have been really enjoying the experience so far. Knytt Underground is a fairly atmospheric 2d platformer/rpg. The graphical style is in a sense lo fi but has quite a unique feel to it and it suits the game well and looks great on the Vita. The main draw is exploring and exploring in abundance as the game map is really quite big. I found the plot and setting of the game to be quite interesting and well defined. Knytt Underground is extremely atmospheric. The game play reminded me a lot of the early 2d super metroid games and something about the sound track reminds me of parts of final fantasy 7. I would recommend this game as it is enjoyable, compelling and overall very well designed, although the size of the game map can be a little overwhelming at times. Knytt Underground feels refreshing and like a throw back to a previous era of video games. Had this of been released on the SNES I'm sure that it would still be fondly remembered. It would be an injustice if too many people pass thing game by. Expand
  3. Jan 11, 2013
    One of the best games I've played in a long time. There's some story if you want it but its more about exploration. The first to chapters are short and more tutorial than anything but once you unlock the final chapter the map expands to an enormous side and just makes running around that much more fun. You can do quests and side missions( or not). Your main focus is to ring these six bellsOne of the best games I've played in a long time. There's some story if you want it but its more about exploration. The first to chapters are short and more tutorial than anything but once you unlock the final chapter the map expands to an enormous side and just makes running around that much more fun. You can do quests and side missions( or not). Your main focus is to ring these six bells to " stop something from happening". But that's not it there are an incredible amount of secret areas from the main menu to inside the campaign area. And if you can find em you'll get trophies, mini games, and other mini stories. This game has a lot of bang for your buck! Expand
  4. Feb 26, 2015
    Frente a los numerosos "New" que, no nos engañemos, acaban ofreciendo básicamente lo mismo en el género de las plataformas, Nifflas vuelve a la carga con el Knytt más grande y transgresor que ha programado hasta la fecha. Los amantes de los dos anteriores títulos tal vez echemos en falta el amoroso pixelado de Juni o muy especialmente la posibilidad de cargar niveles de los usuarios, peroFrente a los numerosos "New" que, no nos engañemos, acaban ofreciendo básicamente lo mismo en el género de las plataformas, Nifflas vuelve a la carga con el Knytt más grande y transgresor que ha programado hasta la fecha. Los amantes de los dos anteriores títulos tal vez echemos en falta el amoroso pixelado de Juni o muy especialmente la posibilidad de cargar niveles de los usuarios, pero este Knytt Underground es todo lo que un aficionado de las plataformas, de la exploración y de los retos puede esperar: "bigger, better and more badass". Llevo jugándolo toda una semana y aún me quedan muchos rincones del mapeado por descubrir. Recomiendo a cualquier jugador que evite los prejuicios hacia los gráficos de ciertos personajes: los fondos, el diseño de niveles y la música son sencillamente maravillosos, transmitiendo una atmósfera de melancolía y surrealismo que se apoya en el trasfondo de las muchas historias que pueblan este mundo subterráneo. En el aspecto netamente jugable es para mí el mejor metroidvania en años, pero es que además, como todo buen vino, está lleno de matices. Expand
  5. Feb 8, 2013
    I bought this game with minimal background knowledge or expectations, and I was pleasantly surprised by how deeply I was drawn in. I've been gaming for 30 years, and I'm about as jaded as they come most games put me to sleep these days. Knytt Underground for some reason pulled me in and I couldn't stop playing. The graphics are simple but beautiful, and the atmosphere is great.I bought this game with minimal background knowledge or expectations, and I was pleasantly surprised by how deeply I was drawn in. I've been gaming for 30 years, and I'm about as jaded as they come most games put me to sleep these days. Knytt Underground for some reason pulled me in and I couldn't stop playing. The graphics are simple but beautiful, and the atmosphere is great. Essentially the game is a puzzle platformer with heavy emphasis on exploration. Lots of secret rooms and platform challenges to work out. There's also a surprisingly funny and smart story pulling it all together. I can see that this game isn't for everyone, as it's a bit slower-paced and "arty". I'd imagine the CoD shooter-bro meatheads would hate it, but I for one think it's one of the best games I've played in the past few years. Expand
  6. Feb 21, 2013
    Now I gave this game a solid 8 not because it's bad or because gameplay is sucky. It's because that the price point of 15$ is too hard for me too swallow for a game of this kind. The game was on offer for PS+ in which I seised the moment to get it. If this game was for 10$ I would recommend it to anyone, so peace out everyone.

1. Jan 19, 2013
    Knytt Underground relies on exploration and on the charme of the environments, giving to the player the possibility to discover a gigantic subterranean world.
  2. Jan 11, 2013
    Knytt Underground is sure to be one of the most controversial games of the year. It's daring in all the right ways, poking at hot topics and digging into the origins of religion. Even if you ignore the deeply personal narrative, you'll find that Knytt Underground offers one of the most elaborate game worlds ever created. It's a marvel that will keep you going for dozens of hours!
  3. Jan 7, 2013
    Knytt Underground is a sensory journey to live. The gameplay is well built, but the real strength of this game lies in the plot and in the effectiveness of graphics and sound.