Luftrausers PlayStation Vita

7.2

1. Nov 13, 2014
    Nice little indie surprise. It's extremely simple, but very effective. Perfect for Vita as you will be usually playing this in short bursts, I had lots of fun trying to achieve various mission objectives, mixing up the equipment of your planecraft that can change your playstyle quite a lot and add some variability. Fun. However, the problem is that you're basically playing the same thingNice little indie surprise. It's extremely simple, but very effective. Perfect for Vita as you will be usually playing this in short bursts, I had lots of fun trying to achieve various mission objectives, mixing up the equipment of your planecraft that can change your playstyle quite a lot and add some variability. Fun. However, the problem is that you're basically playing the same thing over and over again, there is no level variation, no story mode, nothing, 1 simple mode that works well, but that's all this game has to offer. It feels like a promising demo that is waiting for it's main content to be added. I don't mind as I got this for free on PS+, but people who pay for this might not be very happy about that. 6/10 Expand
  2. Apr 8, 2014
    The game is a lot of fun and making your own planes is awesome. But the game gets repetitive really fast as there is only one theatre of battle and just a few enemy types. And dying over and over again gets old. But a good blast for a few hours and the odd run when you are bored but that's about it. I hope they can expand on the game and make a sequel with more content.
  3. Jun 27, 2014
    Featuring simple sprite based graphics Luftrausers is a 2d aerial shooter that throws the player into fast paced aerial dogfights. The controls are intuitive and easy to get the hang off and the central mechanic, which sees health only being restored if the player stops firing and thus risking their multiplier bonus, adds a bit of tactical depth to proceedings.

Best played in small

Best played in small bursts Luftrausers does offer certain objectives to fulfill (such as destroying a certain number of battleships) but, with enemies being randomly generated each time you restart, it is really more of a 'high score' game. Disappointingly their are no online or friend leaderboards which, for me at least, greatly diminished its long term appeal but it is a game that I still come back to every now and then when I have a bit of time to kill.
  4. Nov 9, 2014
    Luftrausers is a fun and addictive game for a few hours. It is a good game on the go since most of the games last for only a few minutes, but after playing for a couple of hours(5-6), I deleted the game since there was not enough content to keep me playing.
    Strength:
    - One or two minutes games - Good customization of the aircraft - Excellent control Weaknesses: - I would I like 10
    Strength:
    - One or two minutes games
    - Good customization of the aircraft
    - Excellent control

Weaknesses:
    - I would I like 10 more upgrades in each part of the ship to keep me playing
    - Unlocking different colors for the game is ok at best.
    - Not enough challenges
  5. Nov 27, 2014
    A rather retro feeling arcade game. The 2D shoot em' up, dogfight style gameplay can be quite fun. There are plenty of unlockable parts which means you can create an aircraft that suits how you play. There are objectives that you must tackle in order to get these parts and it can be quite the entertaining high-score kind of game.

I feel that not having the ability to cross-save between

I feel that not having the ability to cross-save between the PS3 and Vita is a missed opportunity. The gameplay and everything is solid, but overall it just didn't hold my attention for long. It's one I can see myself picking up every now and then when I've got nothing better to do and just playing around with it for a bit. However when I'm looking to put some time into gaming I see myself passing this one up in favor of deeper and more gripping gaming experiences. Perhaps because of that is why it feels more at home on the Vita.

Overall it's solid and can be entertaining in short bursts. I know there's definitely a crowd out there who will eat this up. For me though it's a rather disposable experience. One that I goofed around with for a bit before moving on to bigger and better things. It provided some decent entertainment for a short period of time, but I quickly found myself done with it. My total score for the game is a 6.7/10.
  6. Dec 13, 2014
    I had heard good things about this game so I was excited to pick it up, essentially you fly around a little plane taking on boats, planes, shooting down missiles etc... You play on a randomly generated 2d plane until you die then use your points to buy upgrades and try again. I'm usually not into these games but it did hook me for awhile. The flying mechanic is a little tricky to learn.I had heard good things about this game so I was excited to pick it up, essentially you fly around a little plane taking on boats, planes, shooting down missiles etc... You play on a randomly generated 2d plane until you die then use your points to buy upgrades and try again. I'm usually not into these games but it did hook me for awhile. The flying mechanic is a little tricky to learn. You have shields which regenerate when you stop shooting,me mechanic I thought worked very well. While not totally for me it is easy to see why this is popular, I could see it being addicting for some. Expand
  7. Oct 13, 2014
    Great addicting game! I cant give it higher score than 7 because its too simple (even wings of fury on Amiga was more complex). BUT! Its really well made twin stick shooter. The airship controls are excellent, the game is insanely hard and perfect for short bursts in bus/toilet/long line in market :)
    Sound 8/10 (!) Graphics 8/10 (!!!) Gameplay 9/10 (!!!)
    Verdict: Why I gave it only 7?
    Sound 8/10 (!) Graphics 8/10 (!!!) Gameplay 9/10 (!!!)
    Verdict: Why I gave it only 7? Because... I dont see reason to give it higher score. Even though it has great gameplay - its just too simple. Maybe if they gave it more polish, but in current state its solid good game.
  8. Mar 24, 2014
    This is very similar to many existing games, but there are 3 things that make Luftrausers stick out among those. First, plane customization is fun and addictive. You can modify the engine, body, and weapon of your plane, and each piece is unlocked by completing objectives with the other pieces. Second, you can stall your plane and let gravity take its course. This gives you the opportunityThis is very similar to many existing games, but there are 3 things that make Luftrausers stick out among those. First, plane customization is fun and addictive. You can modify the engine, body, and weapon of your plane, and each piece is unlocked by completing objectives with the other pieces. Second, you can stall your plane and let gravity take its course. This gives you the opportunity to pull off some awesome maneuvers and also makes it a little bit more difficult and interesting. Third, the art style of this game is completely unique. It's monochrome with pixelated graphics that remind me of playing GameBoy games on GBColor.

I would score it a 10, but for just a single player game with one map and game type, $10 seems just a little steep. I was happy to pay $8 for it on sale.

1. May 6, 2014
    This army-themed game runs very smoothly. It is easy to quickly start and end a game, although the controls are something to get used to. It is advisable to give this game a chance, because there is more to it than the funny animation style and sepia colors. For example, a very pleasant system for leveling up, which is typically Vlambeer.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 27, 2014
    The definition of a pick up and play that's fiendishly addictive. This is perfect for the Vita. [May 2014, p77]
  3. Apr 15, 2014
    Once you take-off, you won't stop playing for quite a bit.