• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Nov 20, 2012
9.2

1. Jan 20, 2014
    I tried very, very hard to like this game but I just couldn't. Japenese RPGs are my go to genre and this disappointed me, especially with all the fantastic reviews I saw.

It's different than your usual RPG, which is good, but there is too much going on and I never knew how to spend my time "correctly". I wasn't sure when to level for the next dungeon, and if I was under levelled I had to go back in time a week after my game ended.

The battle system was classic and solid but I hated not being able to leave a dungeon to heal. If you do it skips ahead a day which makes it so you can't do other daily things like raising your social links and such.

The story and characters gripped me however. The story and characters you meet are deep and interesting, for the most part.

I will try playing again one day, but be prepared for something very different. Great ideas, but just not for me.
  2. UCA
    May 8, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  3. Oct 2, 2013
    The storyline people have been raving about...well it's not that great. While it is unique and a different take than the average RPG, which I am very glad for, it's got a lot of boring and infuriating elements to it.

The "heroes" of the story are the least heroic heroes ever. "Eh, let's wait a week to save that guy." "No need to rush in." "Let's stop and discuss this." There's really no men of action on the entire team and it's annoying.

Then there's the high school drama part. If you like those cheesy Japanese anime comedy/dramas, ok then you'll love that. I for one hated it and found it a waste of time.

The gameplay is a mix of a typical turn-based RPG and a Japanese dating sim. So again, if you like Japanese dating sims, amazing game for you...not so much for me. I do like the combat though, the persona system is pretty cool, it's a lot like Devil Summoner (another game by the same people with a better storyline) but in pure old school RPG format.

Voice acting is good, graphics are OK, some of the music is good.

It's a good time-waster, but hardly deserves the overwhelming praise it receives.
  4. Apr 17, 2013
    Keep in mind that I never played a persona game before. However, I love turn based rpgs. And yes, I realize that this game was made in 2008.

Personally I find much of the game mechanics namely the "sim" part tedious and the game was way too long for its own good. The game expects you to get along and get to know these characters as strong as your friends. However, These characters were two dimensional and uninteresting. Many of the plot points were obvious making the reveal of the mystery feel unsatisfying. Many of the abilities and spells' names were too complicated. I wish the naming of each ability was short and was straight to the point. For example Bufu ice?, agi fire??? The progression in the beggining dragged on and felt slow. Then all of the sudden throws many options of what you can do to spend your time all at once. I also, dislike games that rushes me to do things at a certain date such as majora's mask.

Things I liked
    I liked the abilities that used hp as if it was mana. Being able to Down enemies and follow up with an all-out-attack. I also liked the "1 more" function as well.
  5. Dec 2, 2012
    This is the game for the PSVita, for those of you who think re-ports and re-releases to different systems and avoid them, think again. Persona 4: the Golden is the pinnacle of the Vita. From it's story line to it's combat system. The story is complex in the fact that 1: There is multiple endings. 2: The choices you make affect the outcome as well as the way other people think aboutThis is the game for the PSVita, for those of you who think re-ports and re-releases to different systems and avoid them, think again. Persona 4: the Golden is the pinnacle of the Vita. From it's story line to it's combat system. The story is complex in the fact that 1: There is multiple endings. 2: The choices you make affect the outcome as well as the way other people think about you(Social Links). 3: You come to love every character in the game, because everyone is unique in their own taste, and heck, you might really fall for some of the characters. The story makes you want to keep playing, makes you think "What's going to happen next?!". The drama, comedy, romance, and perfect voice acting all blend into a perfect video game smoothie. Next is the battle system. 1: It's fluent and quick turn based combat, similar to something like Pokemon, but much more colorful, beautifully accompanied by the awesome BGM, but I'll get to that later. 2: The massive amounts of Persona you can use. The abilities and skills that they can use are just so much, as well as the enemies, although some are just recolors, that still doesn't take away to how many enemies there are. 3: The combo attacks. I, being a person who played Persona 4 on the PS2 seriously made my pants sticky when I first saw Yukiko and Chie use their combo attack. Combo attacks are unique to whoever uses them and are just so colorful and awesome, plus that Dragon ball-ish declaration of the attack, it just makes me wanna man-squee. 4: The amount of weapons and outfits you can use and wear into combat, outfits are just for show, but make it so cool, or hilarious if you use other things, and the weapons all look so cool and well-defined, makes me wanna shake Master Daidara's hand. Screw it, I'm gonna hug him. 5: The dungeons. Even though all the dungeons are really repetitive, it keeps to the old persona style. It makes the grinding fun, but the dungeons could use a little more work, except Naoto's, but I'll leave that for you to find out for yourself. The BGM throughout the game sets a perfect mood, to the lovely music of wandering at night and the awesome music of just walkering around, or the music of events, to the fast pace and quick tunes of the combat music makes you just want to not move a turn and listen to it due to it's awesome beats. the well-cared for music is tuned of out of Persona 4, but with new twists that old SMT gamers will love. The voice acting is perfect, although it took a little time for me to enjoy Chie's new voice actor, but it ends up kind of like a new experience, giving Chie a new personality to her. Yet Teddie's new voice actor seems like he's trying too hard to be the original Teddie. The voice acting is just pure perfect and flows perfectly with conversations. Persona 4: the Golden made me cry in more than one moments, just as the old P4 did for me. I love this game, and it's a permanent resident of my game library, and for $40, it's worth it. The 60+ hours you'll spend through one playthrough, plus the extra time you spend replaying makes this game extremely replayable if you can get over the grinding at higher levels. This game set the bar for the rest of the Vita games, and hopefully stuff like this come often more for the console/handheld. All I can say now is, you'll enjoy this game, guaranteed. Collapse

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is part detective novel, part teenage simulation and part asian RPG – all being important pieces which combine to create some of the most memorable and entertaining moments I’ve ever had with a JRPG.
  2. Apr 15, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden manages to make a classic JRPG even better. A definite buy for any Vita owners, and actually a good enough reason to justify the purchase of Sony's struggling handheld. [Apr 2013]
  3. Persona 4 Golden is a Tardis of a game. Initially, it seems cute and friendly and it hooks you with its murder mystery and time management focus. Once you get inside, it opens up exponentially, awing you with its scope. [March 2013, p76]