Persona 4 Golden PlayStation Vita

• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Nov 20, 2012
9.3

1. Oct 2, 2013
    The storyline people have been raving about...well it's not that great. While it is unique and a different take than the average RPG, which I am very glad for, it's got a lot of boring and infuriating elements to it.

The "heroes" of the story are the least heroic heroes ever. "Eh, let's wait a week to save that guy." "No need to rush in." "Let's stop and discuss this." There's really no men of action on the entire team and it's annoying.

Then there's the high school drama part. If you like those cheesy Japanese anime comedy/dramas, ok then you'll love that. I for one hated it and found it a waste of time.

The gameplay is a mix of a typical turn-based RPG and a Japanese dating sim. So again, if you like Japanese dating sims, amazing game for you...not so much for me. I do like the combat though, the persona system is pretty cool, it's a lot like Devil Summoner (another game by the same people with a better storyline) but in pure old school RPG format.

Voice acting is good, graphics are OK, some of the music is good.

It's a good time-waster, but hardly deserves the overwhelming praise it receives.
  2. UCA
    May 8, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  3. Apr 17, 2013
    Keep in mind that I never played a persona game before. However, I love turn based rpgs. And yes, I realize that this game was made in 2008.

Personally I find much of the game mechanics namely the "sim" part tedious and the game was way too long for its own good. The game expects you to get along and get to know these characters as strong as your friends. However, These characters were two dimensional and uninteresting. Many of the plot points were obvious making the reveal of the mystery feel unsatisfying. Many of the abilities and spells' names were too complicated. I wish the naming of each ability was short and was straight to the point. For example Bufu ice?, agi fire??? The progression in the beggining dragged on and felt slow. Then all of the sudden throws many options of what you can do to spend your time all at once. I also, dislike games that rushes me to do things at a certain date such as majora's mask.

Things I liked
    I liked the abilities that used hp as if it was mana. Being able to Down enemies and follow up with an all-out-attack. I also liked the "1 more" function as well.
  4. Jan 20, 2014
    I tried very, very hard to like this game but I just couldn't. Japenese RPGs are my go to genre and this disappointed me, especially with all the fantastic reviews I saw.

It's different than your usual RPG, which is good, but there is too much going on and I never knew how to spend my time "correctly". I wasn't sure when to level for the next dungeon, and if I was under levelled I had to go back in time a week after my game ended.

The battle system was classic and solid but I hated not being able to leave a dungeon to heal. If you do it skips ahead a day which makes it so you can't do other daily things like raising your social links and such.

The story and characters gripped me however. The story and characters you meet are deep and interesting, for the most part.

I will try playing again one day, but be prepared for something very different. Great ideas, but just not for me.
  5. Feb 23, 2014
    How does one even begin to talk about a game so overhyped? That is one of the main words I'd use to describe P4G. So many times I've heard "This is the best Vita game!" that I expected so much of it, it couldn't possibly have held up. Further more, Persona 3 is my favorite game, so Persona 4 would have to try real hard to impress me. Never the less I went in very optimistic about thisHow does one even begin to talk about a game so overhyped? That is one of the main words I'd use to describe P4G. So many times I've heard "This is the best Vita game!" that I expected so much of it, it couldn't possibly have held up. Further more, Persona 3 is my favorite game, so Persona 4 would have to try real hard to impress me. Never the less I went in very optimistic about this game, understanding that it's something different. To sum it all up: too different, at least for me. But on an important note, I want you to know that I haven't let my feelings about Persona 3 get in the way of my honest review about Persona 4 Golden - what follows are my thoughts about the game as a single experience. Comparissons are just mandatory at some points, but bring nothing to my final score, as you will see in my conclusion
    Also, another side note, I can't have people talking about that this is the best Vita game - this is a port of a PS2 game, that got a bit ruined over the porting process. Think about it.
    On a graphical note, the game holds up. Nothing spectacular, but it doesn't need to be. Some of the new designs they went with look stupid, I found myself laughing out loud at them on a couple ocassions, which to me isn't a good sign. Overall on the polish standpoint it stands proudly alongside other entries in the SMT series - extremely polished and nicely stylised. I think the style they chose doesn't fit much, but I'll talk about that later on.
    This game sounds good too. I don't find the OST to be particularly strong, but it's fitting. However it does not manage to escape some stereotypes, though it tries to. But when it uses a stereotypes- it succeeds brilliantly. I have to mention that it has awesome voice work, featuring some of the best actors in the branch. There are some moments of awkward silence in this game that I did not get or like.
    The story of Persona 4 is a weird one in execution, not in content. I have to admit that after the amazing story of Persona 3, I expected this to be strong as or stronger than Persona 3. Persona 4 offers a mix of stereotypical characters (with a few exclusions, to my surprise) with bland origin stories, in favor of offering a more complex, dark and brooding plot. However, it's not as good as it sounds. The plot of the game isn't bad, it is simply badly directed - the game overall favors gameplay over story, which may be your thing - keep in mind that it's not mine. The plot seems nice and complex, but it misses a lot of opportunities to become stronger. The story has it's better moments, though - I got some solid laughs and even some soggy eyes at certain points. But in the end it's still a very slow moving story, that tries to end out with a bang, but ends out feeling rushed. To sum the story up: I found myself pressing the "Skip" button way more often that I thought I was capable of in a game of this caliber.
    To my surprise, however, this game shines on the gameplay standpoint. It offers a lot of activities to do, most of which are very fun and addicting. The main gameplay is very spiced up and not-boring as per usual with JRPGs (in my opinion). There are two major things I didn't like about the gameplay, which for the sake of spoilers, I will sum up into one, spoiler-free sentance: This game gives you NO hints for things it expects you to know and do, and proceeds to punish you for not doing them. To a gamer like me, who likes freedom of choice and rewarding story-driven gameplay, I found the gameplay boxing. A lot of times I said to myself "Immersion broken", because this game often reminded me that it's a game - something I don't want to think about while trying to be a part of the experience. Also, the overall bright presentation of the game ruins it at times too, being unfitting for the plot it tries to sell.
    In conclusion, I think the only reason people are overhyping this game is because it's the only Persona game they've played. Don't let that fool you. But I have something else to say too: I'd rate an 8/10 as a sequel to Persona 3, because as we see in the bigger picture, the two are connected. I'ts not a good sequel. But it's a heck of a standalone 9/10 game. You owe it to yourself to play this game, because even going beyond the statement that it's worse than Persona 3, which I am going off here, I cannot deny the fact that it's a really awesome game that you should not miss. I still say it's not the best Vita game, because it's a PS2 game. I do recommend playing the Vita version, because long games are made for portables, but if you chose to do so - google things carefully, because overhype leads to overexposure, and spoilers are everywhere! Further more, be prepared to spoil some things for yourself intentionally if you want to get the most out of this game (talking about the thing the game expects you to know). Conclusion: Play Persona 3 first, reasons can be found in my Persona 3 review, also P4 is a sequel to P3 none the less.

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is part detective novel, part teenage simulation and part asian RPG – all being important pieces which combine to create some of the most memorable and entertaining moments I’ve ever had with a JRPG.
  2. Apr 15, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden manages to make a classic JRPG even better. A definite buy for any Vita owners, and actually a good enough reason to justify the purchase of Sony's struggling handheld. [Apr 2013]
  3. Persona 4 Golden is a Tardis of a game. Initially, it seems cute and friendly and it hooks you with its murder mystery and time management focus. Once you get inside, it opens up exponentially, awing you with its scope. [March 2013, p76]