Persona 4 Golden PlayStation Vita

• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Nov 20, 2012
9.2

1. Feb 11, 2017
    I spent the last two weeks playing Persona 4 Golden and have finally reached end game, which makes me feel as though I can now give the game an honest review.

Persona 4 Golden is kind of a monster collecting RPG that revolves around collecting cards after battles and then fusing those cards together to form stronger monsters, also known as "Personas". As you play the game, you'll meet friends who can also use Personas, but you are the only character who can change their persona.

Persona 4 Golden is absolutely a standard JRPG. Even the "normal" difficulty is fairly hard. Thankfully they put in a easy mode that allows you to just enjoy the story and characters while almost effortlessly walking through battles, dungeons and boss encounters.

Graphically the game looks great and runs well with no visual slow downs that I could see. It's a perfect port to the vita. A recurring problem with most JRPGs is present in the game and that is a lack of creative enemies, you are going to encounter a lot of re-colored enemies in this game, it really lacks diversity on that front.

As a added bonus, the game is also kind of like a slice of life teenage high schooler sim. The game places a lot of focus on meeting people, forging long lasting relationships, romance and even working part time jobs and going to school.

There's a lot going on and the game requires you to manage your time, you can't do everything at once and when you first start playing, you'll have to decide what things you want to focus on.

The story is somewhat engaging and it's writing is good enough that Persona 4 Golden will have you caring about the characters and relating to them. Some of the overall themes are fairly cliche and there is a lot of cringy content that revolves around character's sexuality.

As your character grows, they will often be given dialog choices that are effected by your personality, such as courage and empathy. One would think that these dialog choices would alter the story or paths your character will walk, but the reality is, the only large differance is slightly different dialog. This part of the game is pretty underwhelming and the reality that not all options can be used your first playthrough is slightly annoying.

The game does feature a "new game plus" mode, but unlike a lot of traditional games that offer this as a feature, almost NOTHING carries over, completely ruining the concept of new game plus. After beating the game, if done correctly, you'll have access to your ultimate persona form, but unfortunately you still cannot use it until late in the end game and requires a lot of grinding in order to make even remotely useful.

The biggest failure of the game is the ending. You'd think that the game would be close to ending after defeating the final boss and solving the "case", but that's not true. The game will continue to drag on for in-game months, leaving you with almost nothing to do besides chasing the ending to the game. There was no good reason for adding this in and really ruins the ending after glow you'd normally get.

Persona 4 Golden also adds in a extra character and additional dungeon, but they are both so awful, I wouldn't recommend wasting your time pursuing them in any capacity unless you have extra time to burn.
  2. Oct 21, 2016
    It's so overhyped, that I dont really know where to start. Boring dungeons, idiotic characters (this bear dude is just too much to handle), really weird story with no pointers how to acquire true ending in the game and LOTS of time consuming uninteresting things to do (I remember running through the halls of the school and reading idle chit-chat). Also those teenagers with their pubertyIt's so overhyped, that I dont really know where to start. Boring dungeons, idiotic characters (this bear dude is just too much to handle), really weird story with no pointers how to acquire true ending in the game and LOTS of time consuming uninteresting things to do (I remember running through the halls of the school and reading idle chit-chat). Also those teenagers with their puberty troubles are a pain to watch as they seem just generic. Graphics are nice, story is so-so, and it sometimes is quite funny. But nothing that spectacular to say that this is the best game on VITA really. Expand
  3. Apr 17, 2013
    Keep in mind that I never played a persona game before. However, I love turn based rpgs. And yes, I realize that this game was made in 2008.

Personally I find much of the game mechanics namely the "sim" part tedious and the game was way too long for its own good. The game expects you to get along and get to know these characters as strong as your friends. However, These characters were two dimensional and uninteresting. Many of the plot points were obvious making the reveal of the mystery feel unsatisfying. Many of the abilities and spells' names were too complicated. I wish the naming of each ability was short and was straight to the point. For example Bufu ice?, agi fire??? The progression in the beggining dragged on and felt slow. Then all of the sudden throws many options of what you can do to spend your time all at once. I also, dislike games that rushes me to do things at a certain date such as majora's mask.

Things I liked
    I liked the abilities that used hp as if it was mana. Being able to Down enemies and follow up with an all-out-attack. I also liked the "1 more" function as well.
  4. Oct 2, 2013
    The storyline people have been raving about...well it's not that great. While it is unique and a different take than the average RPG, which I am very glad for, it's got a lot of boring and infuriating elements to it.

The "heroes" of the story are the least heroic heroes ever. "Eh, let's wait a week to save that guy." "No need to rush in." "Let's stop and discuss this." There's really no men of action on the entire team and it's annoying.

Then there's the high school drama part. If you like those cheesy Japanese anime comedy/dramas, ok then you'll love that. I for one hated it and found it a waste of time.

The gameplay is a mix of a typical turn-based RPG and a Japanese dating sim. So again, if you like Japanese dating sims, amazing game for you...not so much for me. I do like the combat though, the persona system is pretty cool, it's a lot like Devil Summoner (another game by the same people with a better storyline) but in pure old school RPG format.

Voice acting is good, graphics are OK, some of the music is good.

It's a good time-waster, but hardly deserves the overwhelming praise it receives.
  5. Jan 20, 2014
    I tried very, very hard to like this game but I just couldn't. Japenese RPGs are my go to genre and this disappointed me, especially with all the fantastic reviews I saw.

It's different than your usual RPG, which is good, but there is too much going on and I never knew how to spend my time "correctly". I wasn't sure when to level for the next dungeon, and if I was under levelled I had to go back in time a week after my game ended.

The battle system was classic and solid but I hated not being able to leave a dungeon to heal. If you do it skips ahead a day which makes it so you can't do other daily things like raising your social links and such.

The story and characters gripped me however. The story and characters you meet are deep and interesting, for the most part.

I will try playing again one day, but be prepared for something very different. Great ideas, but just not for me.
  6. Jan 21, 2017
    Overrated waifu filth. Easy as hell with **** for payoff at the end. Terrible bosses, annoying characters, flat world, and boring school segments. Irritating fetch quests, lame dungeons, ugly graphics, and stupid story pacing. The music has okay tracks. But that's it.
  7. UCA
    May 8, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  8. Feb 27, 2013
    We're now a year into Vita's life-cycle, and Sony has built up a pretty robust library of standout games for it's latest handheld system. Indeed, the likes of Gravity Rush, LittleBigPlanet, Rayman Origins and Uncharted: Golden Abyss have clearly demonstrated the massive potential that Vita promises. While upcoming titles such as Killzone: Mercenary, Soul Sacrifice and Tearaway, look set toWe're now a year into Vita's life-cycle, and Sony has built up a pretty robust library of standout games for it's latest handheld system. Indeed, the likes of Gravity Rush, LittleBigPlanet, Rayman Origins and Uncharted: Golden Abyss have clearly demonstrated the massive potential that Vita promises. While upcoming titles such as Killzone: Mercenary, Soul Sacrifice and Tearaway, look set to only build on the foundations laid down by those great games. And now, three months later than our North American friends, Persona 4: Golden has finally arrived on European shores. And boy was it worth the wait. Altus' sublime J-RPG blows every one of those previously mentioned titles clean out of the water, staking it's claim as Vita's finest game to date in the process. With a ton of user reviews here on Metacritic already, I won't bore you by going into all the why's and wherefore's, but I will say this: don't waste any more precious time, just get yourself down to your nearest game retailer and grab yourself a copy of Persona 4 Golden today (or, if your memory card can handle it's hefty 3.2GB filesize, maybe even download it directly from the SCEE digital store like I did). So what are you waiting for? What's that, not got a Vita? Get one! This is the best excuse yet to get a Vita, and it's first true system seller. And it's an absolute belter! 10 out of 10 all day long. Collapse

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is part detective novel, part teenage simulation and part asian RPG – all being important pieces which combine to create some of the most memorable and entertaining moments I’ve ever had with a JRPG.
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Apr 15, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden manages to make a classic JRPG even better. A definite buy for any Vita owners, and actually a good enough reason to justify the purchase of Sony's struggling handheld. [Apr 2013]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 4, 2013
    Persona 4 Golden is a Tardis of a game. Initially, it seems cute and friendly and it hooks you with its murder mystery and time management focus. Once you get inside, it opens up exponentially, awing you with its scope. [March 2013, p76]