8.5

1. Feb 15, 2012
    Best. Vita. Game. Especially the graphics...holy cow. Beautifully executed. This is the must buy game for the Vita that anyone can enjoy. Its platforming brilliance on the same level as Mario, and thats coming from a Nintendo fan.
  2. Feb 16, 2012
    Something needs to be said for this game. This is some serious talent. Hand drawn levels in HD? Rayman Origins takes us gamers back to our roots and reminds us that the old school 2D platformer hasn't died. The quality is unmatched, you don't see it very often in games these days, easily my second favorite 2011 game behind Dark Souls. It's a shame it didn't sell well, with this quality itSomething needs to be said for this game. This is some serious talent. Hand drawn levels in HD? Rayman Origins takes us gamers back to our roots and reminds us that the old school 2D platformer hasn't died. The quality is unmatched, you don't see it very often in games these days, easily my second favorite 2011 game behind Dark Souls. It's a shame it didn't sell well, with this quality it should have outsold MW3. Bought this on ps3 AND vita. Love it Collapse
  3. Feb 28, 2012
    The game is great but the Vita is not the platform you should get it on. The best aspect of this game is the multiplayer, which is IMMENSELY fun, but even though with the wireless technology of the Vita, a multiplayer feature would've been possible and efficient, the game has been rushed out for the Vita's release and cuts that feature. Sad. Play it on a home console.
  4. Feb 24, 2012
    Rayman Origins was one of the best games of 2011 e a fantastic suprise. It looks even better on PS Vita. I finished the game on PS3, got all the trophies and I am looking forward to do the same on Vita. Buy it.
  5. Mar 1, 2012
    Rayman Origins is the best entry in the series by a long shot. I've been a fan since my younger days and played Rayman and Rayman 2 religously. I'm glad to be able to say that I can do that once again. Rayman Origins is everything most modern platformers are not. It's creative, fun, and very replayable. If I had to choose only one thing to praise about this game it would be the artRayman Origins is the best entry in the series by a long shot. I've been a fan since my younger days and played Rayman and Rayman 2 religously. I'm glad to be able to say that I can do that once again. Rayman Origins is everything most modern platformers are not. It's creative, fun, and very replayable. If I had to choose only one thing to praise about this game it would be the art direction hands down. The only game that rivals this one in aesthetic appeal is the Bioshock series. Every where you look there are vibrant colors and shapes coming to life right before your eyes. The gameplay is top-notch as well. The controls are very responsive and not once did I ever feel that I had died a cheap death. The game is filled with the series trademark humor and will often have you laughjing out loud at some of the hilarious things that go on. I'm 20 years old and I can't believe how much I laughed while playing this game. If you are getting a Playstation Vita this a must have unless you already own it for console. I feel like writing the developers and begging for another entry as polished and creative as this one. This is the reason I still play video games. Games like these make wading through all the mediocrity worth it. Expand
  6. Feb 21, 2012
    I was totally surprised at how much I liked Rayman Origins. Vibrant graphics, crisp detail, great animation, fun levels, it's currently my fav launch game.
  7. Feb 24, 2012
    Really funny game with really crisp graphics, best in launch! It's a must buy for everyone interested in platform games, myself I'm not a total platform whore but I'm really enjoying this little piece of art.
  8. Feb 24, 2012
    One of the most addictive platform games I've played for a good while. Definitely worth buying if you have just got a new PS Vita, must have. Graphics are bright and the game play is intuitive and capturing.
  9. Feb 26, 2012
    Been playing platformers since Super Mario Bros. on NES, and this game ranks right up there with Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario world. The visuals are incredible on the Vita. The levels flow great. It's challenging without being frustrating. The game runs amazing. This is the best handheld platformer to date.
  10. Mar 20, 2012
    I have to confess that I hated the very first Rayman, a long time ago, on Playstation. I found it slow, boring, no fun at all. I hadn't played another Rayman game since then (except for a few "Raving Rabbids" quick games, but that's not Rayman now, is it?), and I didn't really want to play Rayman Origins either.

However, the lack of games currently available for Vita, and the high score

However, the lack of games currently available for Vita, and the high score here on Metacritic, made me buy Rayman Origins. And I sure don't regret. I hadn't had that much fun with a 2D platformer for ages. Rayman Origins for Vita is really awesome.

The 2D graphics of the game are really beautiful, even though some sprites are... well, a bit gross (bosses mainly). The animations are great as well, nothing to say about that.
    The level design is clever, and the difficulty progressively goes up, and things are never frustrating. For a change of pace, in addition to classic platform levels, you also have "Shoot'em up" levels with your character riding a mosquito. In both kinds of game sequences, the controls are good and don't hinder your progression - and your fun.

One of the most interesting (and surprising) things in this new Rayman game, though, is the Sound Design. The musics are good (and funny), and there are many other sounds (when you pick up Lums, etc) that play during the game, that make it even more enjoyable. The Sound designer and his team really made something great in this game.

I don't know exactly how many levels are present in the game, but I didn't have the feeling that the game was too short. Besides, there are enough collectible things in each level (hidden Electoons, relics) to make you want to replay them. After being completed, most levels can also be played again in "Time Trial" mode. There may not be any multiplayer mode in this version of the game (unlike the PS3/Wii/360 versions), but there's still a lot of things to do. They also added relics, which are hidden throughout the levels, and must be found by hitting them with the touchscreen.

The touchscreen can also be used to "pop bubbles", whether those bubbles are enemies that you just defeated or floating items waiting to be picked up.

As a conclusion, I'll just say that Rayman Origins is a great game, certainly one of the best on the Vita so far... And that's coming from a former Rayman hater!
  11. May 11, 2012
    Rayman Origins actually translates very well to the PS Vita. It looks gorgeous and better yet there are plenty of levels that are only a minute or two long each if you are playing on the go. Plus with the ability to simply put your Vita to sleep you can pick up right where you left off. The game is ridiculously fun and some of the trophies are going to keep you coming back for more andRayman Origins actually translates very well to the PS Vita. It looks gorgeous and better yet there are plenty of levels that are only a minute or two long each if you are playing on the go. Plus with the ability to simply put your Vita to sleep you can pick up right where you left off. The game is ridiculously fun and some of the trophies are going to keep you coming back for more and more and more. This is definitely a title worth purchasing for your Vita if you enjoy platform games. Expand
  12. Sep 10, 2013
    Wow this game got everything platform game needs to be a hit. Great art design, amazing sound design, beautiful graphics and incredible gameplay. This game surely is a masterpiece and is easily recommended for anyone looking for a superb platform´er!
  13. Jul 31, 2012
    This game is fantastic! I hadn't previously played many Rayman games and I found myself with no other option than to buy this game after I played the demo for 6 hours.
    No regrets here. Nothing bad to say about this game!
  14. Mar 27, 2012
    I already played through Origins on the 360, but given the choice between a fighting game for a portable (UMVC3/BlazBlue) and a port of one of the better platformers in recent memory... I went with Rayman. The visuals are slick, the music is catchy and the gameplay is just as tight and responsive as its console big brothers. One of the best titles available for Sony's shiny new handheld.
  15. Feb 16, 2013
    Brings out what the vita can do. Very cool game too, great music and maybe the best 2D graphics around. Mario has met his match. Have been playing it little by little to savour it for longer (not saying it's short, though), got the platinum today.
  16. Apr 2, 2012
    Simply put the best game you can have on Vita now. The screen does it's job and the game looks incredibly vibrant and colourful. The gameplay is an awesome platformer, giving just enough challenge to keep it interesting till the very end. Just get it already.
  17. Jun 1, 2012
    I thought Rayman was OK until this game. This is far the best Rayman. I thought I was going to hate it because I hated the PS1 2D Rayman but this game is awesome. The level design is always clever and fun. Only bad spot is the crazy collecting needed. I got collect 300 stupid flys in each level to 100%??? F*#$ No! I prefer simple a small amount of New Super Mario style coins forI thought Rayman was OK until this game. This is far the best Rayman. I thought I was going to hate it because I hated the PS1 2D Rayman but this game is awesome. The level design is always clever and fun. Only bad spot is the crazy collecting needed. I got collect 300 stupid flys in each level to 100%??? F*#$ No! I prefer simple a small amount of New Super Mario style coins for going to challenging places. Never one for the French animation styling but the gameplay makes up for it. I play a lot of platformers and they don't make platformers with this much polish and care anymore. Lots of fun! Expand
  18. May 24, 2012
    Easy to pick up, light gameplay, cool style, wish it had some multiplayer co-op but otherwise everything I could hope for. Its a standard platformer committed to a time tested formula and it succeeds. If you are looking for innovation wait for LBP, if you are a fan of comical, stylized graphics, and an all around good time, Rayman's got it.
  19. Mar 3, 2012
    The game is really fun buy it . I don't have to tell you about how awesome the way it looks on the Vita. The game is entertaining and beautiful.
  20. Mar 12, 2012
    I loved the past raymans. However, this game is rigged with bugs and errors that make it hard to play. The game is very boring and is a total step back. Why go back to outdated 2D? The series has done great in 3D and thats how fans enjoyed it. Good thing rayman 3 is coming in HD later march 2012. This game is a total fail. Im a LONG TIME fan, and it SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS. Do not buy thisI loved the past raymans. However, this game is rigged with bugs and errors that make it hard to play. The game is very boring and is a total step back. Why go back to outdated 2D? The series has done great in 3D and thats how fans enjoyed it. Good thing rayman 3 is coming in HD later march 2012. This game is a total fail. Im a LONG TIME fan, and it SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS. Do not buy this terrible game. Expand
  21. Mar 20, 2014
    Rayman Origins stands out in a 3D era better then any 3D platformer. Mesmerizing graphics and brillant levels plus speed and constant challenge. Rewarding and a must buy for the Vita. I had enormous fun on buses, trains and just in my bed away from the TV trying to discover every single aspect of the games large and beatiful world. Games like this deserve more attention and its a shameRayman Origins stands out in a 3D era better then any 3D platformer. Mesmerizing graphics and brillant levels plus speed and constant challenge. Rewarding and a must buy for the Vita. I had enormous fun on buses, trains and just in my bed away from the TV trying to discover every single aspect of the games large and beatiful world. Games like this deserve more attention and its a shame that they don't sell well because its old-school and 2D. A real shame....... Expand
  22. Mar 15, 2012
    Rayman origins is the first one i´ve played.
    Totally Honest i have never been too interested in plattaform games, i found them quite plane and for me is too repetitive.
    However reading the reviews of many websites i took the risk of buying it. For my surprise i found Rayman a kickass game, very fun, artistic, catchy, replayable, and many other good things. Love the
    Rayman origins is the first one i´ve played.
    However reading the reviews of many websites i took the risk of buying it.

Love the Multiplayer is really funny playing with friends :)

I dont know too much about this genre but is on the podium next to Super Mario Galaxy 2 and DK: Returns for sure!

100% recommended!
  23. Apr 9, 2012
    I had a great amount of fun with this game. Its fast paced in parts but you want slow down just to admire the beauty of it. It's a classical side scrolling platforming game. The artistic design of the levels cannot be matched. Put this game together with a OLED screen and you have perfection.
  24. Feb 23, 2012
    Got this game as it seemed the best game from the Amazon Vita bundle they were running, after looking at reviews I got quite excited and I must say the reviews have be correct.

I usually go for FPS or Racing games, having not looked at Rayman since its original release I cant believe how much I am enjoying this game, currently put about 3hrs into it and loving it. sadly as I still want Uncharted and Wipeout and this was going to fund part of one of them its ended up costing me a bit more lol
  25. Feb 26, 2012
    I was really torn on what game to buy at launch and I'm so glad that I settled for this one. Holy cow! The best platformer I've ever played and it's perfect for a handheld. A must have for ALL gamers of ANY age group.
  26. Apr 13, 2012
    Very good, classic style Platformer. Very Playable and very light hearted good fun! If your sick of guns, explosions and just want to play something to make you smile go and buy this game! Excellent graphics and fun animation!
  27. Mar 11, 2012
    Gorgeous and fun platforming. I already played it through on PS3 and loved it. Enjoying it all over again on Vita - the port seems perfect. There's also a few extra new unlockables - relics that you touch to pick up, and a fresco back at the snoring tree. Very nice. Makes you wonder what's coming next if this is how Vita starts out.
  28. Mar 8, 2012
    Beautiful, elegant, smooth, but most of all FUN! Lots of replayability and a must-buy for anyone that owns a Vita. It demonstrates that Vita can provide a full PS3 experience on the go. Phenomenal.
  29. Mar 11, 2012
    Fantastic platformer with vibrant visuals, fluid gameplay, and tons of replayability. Origins doesn't have a fleshed-out story but it doesn't need one. There are worlds to go through, with 5-7 levels in each of them. The environments and backdrops look absolutely stunning. After you beat the main worlds, which will take you quite some time, you unlock even MORE worlds! Even after you beatFantastic platformer with vibrant visuals, fluid gameplay, and tons of replayability. Origins doesn't have a fleshed-out story but it doesn't need one. There are worlds to go through, with 5-7 levels in each of them. The environments and backdrops look absolutely stunning. After you beat the main worlds, which will take you quite some time, you unlock even MORE worlds! Even after you beat all worlds, you can still unlock a secret world which is very challenging. Even after you beat that world, there's still much to collect, I literally can't explain it all! Overall, Rayman is a fantastic adventure. I give it a 9 because it has no online multiplayer which the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions had. Nevertheless, its well worth your $. Expand
  30. Mar 11, 2012
    Best Vita game so far. Amazing graphics, fun and challenging gameplay. And there is a lot to do after you finish the main story to complete the game 100%.
  31. May 1, 2012
    Perfect example of what can be achieved when developers embrace current gen technology & formulate it into something so beautiful & creative. COD clones take note! This is a game worthy of current gen status.
  32. Jul 20, 2013
    Got it when it was available on IGC and I must say that it is a very fun and smart game. Many stages, many secrets and collectibles, nice trophy list and beautifull graphics make this a winning package
  33. Apr 3, 2012
    This is the best Vita game to date. Beautiful from the moment you turn it on. The art design is just breath taking. This is the best Rayman game to date. The touch screen on the Vita fits right into the gameplay. You'll enjoy every moment you have with this game. It's a MUST OWN!
  34. May 3, 2012
    This was a real surprise treat! Excellent game design in all aspects. I really would have liked to see the coop mode intact for this release, but otherwise it's a solid platformer. Highly recommended!
  35. May 7, 2012
    It works good, it sounds good, it looks good, its addictive and thus has a high replay value. It's also a very refreshing 2D game and the art used for the games really pulls you in. Best game on the Vita yet.
  36. May 16, 2012
    Awesome. Amazing graphics, good level design, and interesting power-ups. It's very creative, but it's difficult, almost to the point of ragequitting. Especially near the end.
  37. May 25, 2012
    If you like platformers then you will love this. It's is the most gorgeous looking game I have seen. The colours in the game really stand out on the Vita and every level is a pleasure to complete. There are the typical cages to find as well as artifacts, extra characters to unlock and time trials to run. This is quite simply a brilliant game and is a must but even if it doesn't have multiplayer.
  38. May 30, 2012
    Not only is it the most ambitious game in the Rayman series, it deserves a place among the best platformers of all time. If you like this type of game at all, don't hesitate to pick it up. I haven't played the console versions but I found that it runs just fine on the vita and the touch controls feel natural.
  39. Aug 11, 2012
    This game, is AMAZING! Best game on the vita. Buy it now. The graphics are great, the gameplay is great, the music is great, everything is great. I love this game so much I played it non stop, and even got the platinum, and found all the secrets. I completed this game 100%, because it's just that good. it's not short either. You should get a solid 10+ hour story. Don't don't make gamesThis game, is AMAZING! Best game on the vita. Buy it now. The graphics are great, the gameplay is great, the music is great, everything is great. I love this game so much I played it non stop, and even got the platinum, and found all the secrets. I completed this game 100%, because it's just that good. it's not short either. You should get a solid 10+ hour story. Don't don't make games like this any more. Easily a 10/10 Buy it now! Expand
  40. Jun 25, 2012
    With so many games these days focusing their stories on dark and bleak themes such as apocalyptic zombie attacks, all out nuclear war and the end of humanity as we know it. Rayman Origins is a much needed respite from the dull browns and camo greens of blockbuster triple A games.

It
  41. Jul 24, 2012
    While the multiplayer mode is gone, this is still one of the best platformers ever created. Absolutely beautiful graphics, great sound effects and music, relatively short load times, and genuinely fun gameplay. The control on Vita is actually superior to that of the PS3 version (I noticed this on the Tricky Treasure levels where twitch button pushing is the name of the game). This gameWhile the multiplayer mode is gone, this is still one of the best platformers ever created. Absolutely beautiful graphics, great sound effects and music, relatively short load times, and genuinely fun gameplay. The control on Vita is actually superior to that of the PS3 version (I noticed this on the Tricky Treasure levels where twitch button pushing is the name of the game). This game immediately became one of my all-time favorite platformers (along with Super Mario Bros. 3, Donkey Kong Country, Crash Bandicoot, and Jak and Daxter). Expand
  42. Jun 10, 2013
    Wonderfuly drawn and animated worlds with themed music, lots of challenging levels to explore, flying on mosquito, diving into sea, treasure chest chasing, memorable boss battles... Rayman at it's best.
  43. Oct 3, 2012
    Portable platformer perfection. Several different ways to pass a stage. Well worth the cost and fairly high on the replay value. Art direction and soundtrack are above average.
  44. Nov 28, 2012
    A truely fun 2D side scrolling game, I thought Mario and maybe little big planet were all there really was in this genre but when I picked up this game used I was really impressed, it looks great and plays smooth. I've been telling my Vita friend he needs to pick it up. no multiplayer options to speak of but it is a rich enough experience without it. I haven't beaten it yet but I think I'mA truely fun 2D side scrolling game, I thought Mario and maybe little big planet were all there really was in this genre but when I picked up this game used I was really impressed, it looks great and plays smooth. I've been telling my Vita friend he needs to pick it up. no multiplayer options to speak of but it is a rich enough experience without it. I haven't beaten it yet but I think I'm in for lots of fun! This is a perfect game for the Vita Expand
  45. Jan 11, 2014
    Rayman origins, while solid, good looking and fun in places, quickly gets boring. The story is unclear, the gameplay, like I said, gets very boring, and even though it's original and kinda quirky is bettered by a game released in 2003 (Rayman 3)! If you want to buy a Rayman game, get Rayman 3. This one is distinctly forgettable, and really dull.
  46. Oct 1, 2013
    Very funny game. Amazing graphics, sound, gameplay. I think games like mario and sonic must have a rebuild with the same quality then this game.

Congratulations ubisoft.
  47. Sep 5, 2013
    This version it's too good to be igonored by Vita owners, a really good job was implemented with the function of the zoom camera and the aditional content turn this version in a must have.
  48. Jun 23, 2013
    Vita's low catalogue needs quality games. And this game is Platform Quality!. With a fantastic and genuine animation and control, this game is stunning. Rayman series are really back to their origins, and follow the steps that 80 's Nintendo established. No story but lots of fun. And it does it really really good.
    The game perfectly matches with portable consoles, even though multiplayer
    The game perfectly matches with portable consoles, even though multiplayer features are down. Very funny BSO that makes you impossible to low the volume down.
    6 different themes for a very long game. Adds characteristics like relics that are secondary collectible features. Great choice to hardcore players that want a challenging platinum trophy.
    Worst points: No on line multiplayer. The game is really based on multiplayer... and vita does not support it, great shame. No much power ups, only 4 (and one of them is just for some levels only)
    Best point: Very fun... Why? because it is really, can't tell in words, just try it!

TOTALLY RECOMMENDED
  49. Aug 10, 2013
    Since launch, the Vita has been lacking in terms of console-quality games. While there have been a few good ones (e.g. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Little Big Planet Vita), I feel that Rayman Origins really hit it out of the park. This is one of those rare cases where a portable title actually ends up being better than its console counterparts. With the addition of some new trophies, RaymanSince launch, the Vita has been lacking in terms of console-quality games. While there have been a few good ones (e.g. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Little Big Planet Vita), I feel that Rayman Origins really hit it out of the park. This is one of those rare cases where a portable title actually ends up being better than its console counterparts. With the addition of some new trophies, Rayman Origins on the Vita keeps everything that was great about the PS3 version (including the HD graphics) while still packing on some new content. There is now an all new "Ghost Mode" which allows you to challenge friends as you race them through levels. The touchscreen is also usable in Origins, and is 100% optional. Never once during Origins 60+ levels did the game get repetitive. Rayman Origins is not only one of the greatest platformers of the generation, but it is one of the best games on the Vita altogether. Expand
  50. Nov 20, 2014
    A very great console game is also a very great handheld game. The versions are almost identical but this version you have exclusive collectables. That's a nice addition compared to many other "ports" that are 100 % identical.
  51. Feb 16, 2012

1. May 5, 2012
    Rayman: Origins feels refreshing, even on the Vita, with amazing graphics and carefully thought out platform action. The cooperative mode got replaced by a ghost mode, which is disappointing, but also the best decision Ubisoft could've made. On the road this mode is easy to pick up and play, which is essential for a handheld game.
  2. The omission of four-player cooperative play (as seen in its PS3 counterpart) hurts and seems a bit of an oversight but that doesn't stop it from being a damned fine platformer. Rayman Origins looks a treat, plays pretty sweet and walks its own beat. [April 2012, p75]
  3. Apr 4, 2012