• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Apr 30, 2013
8.2

1. Apr 30, 2013
    Absolutely blow my mind, awesome itemization, you get ways to play instead of irons to wear and only see it moving, 400+ skills to customizate your toon whith your own style, great longevity with the magics level up system, and a wonderful online! also the difficulty of the game is really challenging!
  2. Apr 30, 2013
    In my opinion is a zillion times better than monster hunter, not that it is the same or similar, but many think it would be a "copy" of the MH. Only the story is worth more than all the MH all together. Best game vita today and one of the best of the year.
  3. May 2, 2013
    The game is fantastic! I have been waiting for this game to release for awhile now, and I can say with confidence I am not dissapointed. The graphics are amazing, the combat is smooth and enjoyable, the story keeps you interested, and the lore section fills in all the details. The online portion is very entertaining, and has a good amount of depth.

I don't review games very often, but
    since "professional" reviewers are giving this game a hard time, I felt I should give my opinion on the game. This game is a must buy IMO, and it ranks up there with Persona 4 Golden, and Gravity Rush.

TLDR version= Buy this game.
  4. May 1, 2013
    This game is simply perfect, comparing it to Monster Hunter is an insult to both games, as if it was meant to be a competition or simply stating that SS is a replacement or clone of sorts. It plays very well, the story is told in a really creative way and the soundtrack is next to the brilliance of Chrono Trigger's. My advice is to ignore any review of 6 and below, my opinion is that they only read EDGE's review and, as Nintendo Fanboys, just assume it is a clone of Monster Hunter, which in fact is not, play the Demo just to see. The only too problems I had were the Voice Acting (you can replace with the Japanese one if you want) and some textures, but the latter can be patched. Expand
  5. May 2, 2013
    Waited for the release of this game without trying the demo, to not ruin the first play experience and that definitely worth the wait. The game is awesome. Absolutely full of style, disturbing and challenging. The gameplay resembles some other hack and slash titles but definitely this is one of a kind. The sorcerer is very customizable in therms of spells (there are TONS of them) and everyone is more cooler and powerful than another. Also the game setup and lore is very complete and original... I can definitely feel the designer imagination, the inspiration... it's incredible... Like a nightmare... But i's reallyt awesome. Speaking of controls/gameplay after an initial confusion I started to gain master of them and they are perfectly balanced, pressing and holding buttons for some spells or actions, tapping the button for some... Anyway is perfectly explained even without a real tutorial... the game puts you immediately in action and you must adapt to survive. In final it is an outstanding game, very fascinating and enjoyable. Expand
  6. Apr 30, 2013
    It's wonderfully dark, packed with clever and unexpected ideas. The plot, if you spend time and thought piecing it together, is decidedly above average. The gameplay could be called repetitive, but I find it to be so multilayered and to have so many subtle complexities that I have yet to tire of it after playing both the demo and the game.

I wasn't sold on this one until I tried it, but
    by golly it's clever and unexpected and has incredible production values, all in a format perfectly suited to portable play. This makes the Vita worthwhile. Expand
  7. May 10, 2013
    This game is crazy deep and fun. I downloaded the demo and didn't get it. I decided to read through the first part of the wiki on IGN and decided to go back and give it a try. I ultimatelyWhat a cool game! Finally something for my Vita! Once I learned how to combine attacks using different elements, the game opened up. The story is great too! It's been a whiles since I have been addicted to a game... and it's a handheld. Go figure. Must buy in my book! Expand
  8. Apr 30, 2013
    Finally an AAA title for the vita which is pretty good!.
    Sony gave us a Fully customizable RPG rich with lore, enemy, skills and a dark dark history, this is choice for the monster hunters fan on the vita :D
  9. Apr 30, 2013
    Please, ignore the "professional" reviews. These are the same journalists who gave the early Monster Hunter Freedom games poor scores but now that the franchise is becoming popular, they play it safe and shower it with 8/10 and 9/10 scores. Soul Sacrifice is not a perfect game. It is not a 10/10 game. However, it is an incredibly hunting game that has a lot of advantages over the Monster Hunter series, the only other hunting game out right now that's worth your time. Soul Sacrifice has a non-intrusive story that is well worth your attention. Instead of only 12 weapon types like in MH, SS has about 75 distinct spells, although the number ends up being about 300 if you count the same spell with multiple elemental options to be several spells instead of one. In that aspect alone, Soul Sacrifice outclasses MH, and this is coming from a guy who invested over 900 hours between all of the PSP Monster Hunter games. The number of strategies is staggering, and you can even combine spells to create brand-new ones. Another thing "professional" reviewers have missed is the online portion. Most reviews admitted "our version didn't have online" or they were too lazy to try it on the free demo. The online portion is what makes this game shine. Online multiplayer, by the way, is something that the 3DS version lacked, and yet many reviewers gave that game a much higher score.

Also, if you ever read a review that complains "Soul Sacrifice is way too button mashy!", stop reading immediately, go into the corner of your browser or tab and click "X". Close that review and never look back. Any claim that the game is a button-masher is a lie. The reviewer obviously didn't play very far into the game, because button mashing will get you killed after the first hour or so of tutorial missions.

Check out gameplay for yourself. This is a great game. Don't let the "average" reviews fool you.
  10. Apr 30, 2013
    Excelent new IP on vita. Excelent mechanics, good multiplayer, great art work. its elements are totally diferent, its not a Monster Hunter and im glad for it. Dont forget that the game is goint to have free DLC, so theres gonna be a lot of battles. Dont forget that the best score is USER'S SCORE because we are impartial to any franchise, brand, developer, Definitely a must buy game for PS VITA
  11. Apr 30, 2013
    Monster Hunter should take notes. Replace the magic with weapons and this is what monster hunter should be. When I hit X to dodge I DODGE, and when I heal myself it doesn't require a 45 min animation that leaves you unreasonably vulnerable.
  12. May 1, 2013
    Soul Sacrifice is a fun title well suited for the Vita! Set in a dark, grotesque world, the story constantly pushes you to decide between saving a fallen foe/enemy or sacrifice them for benefits. If you save them, you'll hear their sincere gratitude but if you were to sacrifice them, you would hear their screams and pleas for mercy that may haunt some. This point of decision (between sacrifice or save) is what Creator Inafune intended to be the backbone of Soul Sacrifice.

Some of the Critic Reviews have pointed out that the game offers a button-mash gameplay or one that is not in-depth. I politely disagree and post my reasons:

(1) The timing of your attacks matters!
    You need to time your attacks (right before the enemy swipes at you) to unlock "Rewards" that would affect the kind of loot you get at the end of the battle. You can get the following "Rewards" when you time your attack properly
    Counter Achieved... Many Counters... Counter Madness... etc

(2) The combination of your attacks/spells matters!
    There is Elemental Vulnerability in this game which you can choose to chain and exploit
    Burn the enemy sufficiently... and it'll collapse in Inferno Hell (set ablazed)
    Freeze the enemy sufficiently... and it'll be stuck in Frozen Hell (frozen in its tracks)
    Jolt the enemy sufficiently... and it'll be stuck in a Stasis (paralysis)

but it does not end there... when you attack them with the right element in the aforementioned states... you unlock the Skilful Attack Reward
    So jolt the enemy when it is in Frozen Hell and you'll see the ice break apart and cause an amazing amount of damage!

(3) The kind of spells you use matters!
    Some reviewers have mentioned it's a button-mashing game. NO! you can't mash them when you have limited casts (you need to renew them if you run out of casts during battle.. and renewals don't come easily)

You can set up a shield to knock a charging enemy. While it's fumbling to get on its feet, steal the chance to get a few hits!
    You can set up trees that bear fruits (that give power-ups to you/allies when consumed) or to distract enemies/bosses as they try to consume it!

(4) Where you hit the enemy/boss matters!
    Is it really a spammy game where you find the best spells and just fire away? Not necessarily... Other than the elemental vulnerabilities explained earlier, bosses have specific cursed parts (weak points) that you can attack and exploit. If you were to destroy all the cursed points, you'll notice the enemy showing a difference in its movement (staggering? I noticed this for the Cerberus in the demo). So getting spells to hit those specific parts matter!

(5) To save or to sacrifice, your choice matters!
    This is probably something that Creator Inafune intended as a focal point of the game. Battles can get challenging and the player is forced to make sacrifices to defeat the bosses. You can choose to engage in the Forbidden Arts (Black Rites) that sacrifice a player attribute (defence/attack/speed/sight/etc) to deal tremendous damage to the enemies or hold them in place, etc.

Beyond that, when your ally falls, you choose whether to save them (at the cost of a portion of your health) or sacrifice them to deal an insane amount of damage to the enemy and lose the ally forever (well at least for the rest of the battle). When you fall, you make the choice whether to call for your allies to save or sacrifice you! The story/single-player mode plays alot into these as your hard-earned (saved) allies may choose to leave you if you were to sacrifice/save defeated bosses that is against their alignment

---

From what I played of the demo, the story is engaging and I did grow attached to the characters. The music adds on to the atmosphere of the game wonderfully. The suspend/standby feature of the Vita is well-exploited in this game as you can literally pause mid-way in any battle and immediately hop-in again later. The multiplayer is wonderful (as long as you get a team that knows what they are doing)

Get the game, you won't regret! :D
  13. May 1, 2013
    Having been eagerly anticipating this game, I am entirely satisfied that even after tearing through the demo there was loads more to kill in the main game and more of the sick story to be told. Truly the game gets a 10 for presentation and gameplay, I don't think it's a 100% Perfect game though I love the multiplayer, the communication layout is great, and the many sacrifices/saving you're gonna do with people who you could either stomp the playground with or get kicked in the gonads over and over again (There's a world of difference between the newbs and the quick to learn)

I highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys magic rpgs, multiplayer, and killing freakish monsters in crazy ways.
  14. Apr 30, 2013
    I had high expectations after reading all the hype leading up to the release of this game.

My expectations have been met, and in many ways exceeded. The graphics look fantastic, and the gameplay is vicious. I've been immersed from the moment I plugged it into my Vita, until now. I had to take a break.

I wish I could say it was perfect or the best game I've ever played... but it's
    just not.
    It is however a hell-uv-a game with so many magic upgrades you won't freakin believe, and some of the most badass monsters to fight. I am a Monster Hunter fan and I love lots of things about those games. However, Soul Sacrifice definitely has a much better story, and a better upgrade system.

Love em both... but for a while I'll be glued to SOUL SACRIFICE
  15. May 1, 2013
    Soul Sacrifice does not disappoint. I played the demo a ton, and the full game is only better. Tons of weapons, upgrades, main quests and side quests make this game a must-have RPG for the Vita. Is it good enough to go purchase a Vita to play? I wouldn't say so, but it is well worth the $40 if you already own a Vita. Plus, the 4 player online co-op adds extra bang for your buck. Pick this game up! Solid 8/10. Expand
  16. May 2, 2013
    This game is perfect example of masterpiece. Good graphics, fantastic and touching music, refined gameplay, interesting story. And it also has a lot of high level content and brilliant MP (in fact it is focused on it). It can be easily worth more than 90 hours of gameplay (I managed to get 20+ just in demo, and some of my friends got 30 in it) Definitely worth the money.
  17. May 25, 2013
    Very good game and very fun with a different take on it's story. The gameplay is challenging and makes it so every move you make is vital to the outcome of the battle. This game has one single con and that is that it is hard to go pure light if you play online. The game is much like my favorite handheld game Monster Hunter but is COMPLETELY different at the same time.
  18. May 9, 2013
    At first, you do not know what you are doing and where this game will take you but after a couple of fights you start to get hooked to the leveling system and loot system. I would recommend this game to people who have the vita. A must have.
  19. May 15, 2013
    This game have a great storyline. In here death and life of the other people stay in your hand. It´s your decision. By the way, the system batlle and 400+ skills given longevity for this tittle. Is one must have in the ps vita system. Cry If you haven´t yet.
  20. May 6, 2013
    I've played 20+ hours of the demo, I've played 30+ of the game so far and I can whole-heartedly say that if you are into the hunter genre of games then this is a no-brainer. Also if you have a Vita and are over the age of 15, its a no-brainer.

JUST BUY THIS GAME.
  21. Apr 30, 2013
    Ótimo jogo, vários monstros bizarros e uma jogabilidade impecável! Perfeito para quem curte Monster Hunter Like, e um coop com croos-chat feito para as pessoas que querem longevidade no jogo.
  22. May 2, 2013
    This game is pretty freaking awesome. Not only does it have a wonderful style to it and a great story, but the gameplay is really well designed. The soundtrack was great, and never felt repetitive or boring to me. The graphics were done very well, except for the occasional muddy texture.
    The reason why the gameplay was so well designed, yet felt "dull" or "not thought out" to others, was
    that it wasn't intended to be the way that they were thinking of. For example, the reason why the game isn't so open is because it would lower the experience all around. This would happen because the game mostly focuses on fighting bosses or multiple enemies. Imagine just how much random objects in the terrain would get in the way or how much pointless running you'd have to do if it was that way. In all seriousness, they'd only add aesthetic to the game while ruining gameplay. Which is unacceptable I personally think. Another thing, was the spell limit. What if you could actually see how much of a spell you have left? That would honestly ruin an important aspect of the game for me. For example, once your spell starts to blink red and the game tells you that you're running out, you have to decide whether or not to risk getting another use out of it. You could just sacrifice something to get it back or restore your power from something on the map if you'd rather save your spell uses anyways.
    Rant aside, everything is pretty well balanced, and plays very nicely into the idea around sacrificing or saving something. This game has a pretty good balance between strategy, such as choosing your spells, levels, black rite, allies and arm carvings (forgot what they're called), while still maintaining a nice amount of difficulty. Sure, the game is lacking enemy diversity. But, I believe that they are fixing that with quite a few free content patches in the coming months (even then, I'd say it's still mostly about the boss fights).
    The lore fits so damn good with everything. All of the bosses have somewhat of a messed up backstory to them. Heck, even the story without looking at the lore is amazing too.
    All in all, I'd say this is one of my favorite games.
  23. May 2, 2013
    I was never a fan of Monster Hunter or Ragnarok. I wasn't of any RPG game, until i played this game! The 400+ skills the enemies. everything just blew my mind! I give it 9/10.
  24. May 4, 2013
    One of the best games for Vita and the one wich i fall in love. I think that it takes some Monster Hunters influences but it isnt a clone at all. Call it an evolution of this lineage of ARPG. You can choose to engage in a truly depth story, real console experience or just enjoy a movile expirience battle on the go. Cooperative multiplayer is great. Graphics are beautiful. The combat system is really nice and the abilities an magical items herarchy very innovative. I dont know if this sacrifice gonna "save" the Vita....but this is the game that finally make me a proud Vita owner. Thanks SCEA!!!! Expand
  25. May 11, 2013
    Ótimo jogo,monstros bem bizarramente legal,ótima mecânica de jogo,enredo comovente e emocionante e grande variedade de ataques. O problema e a câmera e cenários repetitivos
  26. May 14, 2013
    This is an absolute must buy for anyone that owns a PS Vita! If you don't own one, it is definitely worth buying one just for this game and with a playstation plus membership for only 17.99 (3 months) or 50.00(1 year) you get plenty of great Vita games for free that are updated every month and plenty of free PS3 games!

Soul Sacrifice proves what this system can do and there is even
    plenty of room for graphics improvements and such, because the Vita hasn't even been fully unlocked, the CPU speed is limited I'm sure. Expand
  27. May 5, 2013
    My only complaint about this game: the online support seems dodgy at the moment.

That said; this game has a great story and a great way of telling that story. While at first the "battle arenas" gameplay seems a bit odd, once you get into the game you start to realize that it fits the storytelling method perfectly. I actually love their decision to use this method whereas in many other
    games where they do this I hate it, due to poor implimentation.

Great combat system lots of customization options, really nice sound effects and music although the voice overs could stand to have a bit more variety or at least be a little less frequent. Graphics are right on, far above what i'd expect for a handheld game.

I'd say a lot of reviewers didnt play anymore than the demo, or theyd probably have a different opinion.
  28. Aug 24, 2013
    Soul Sacrifice has a different way of playing that makes you feel involved with the plot. Most of the story is told by reading a book with audio. We are used to play games watching cutscenes, but with this game things work differently and I think it raises the immersion. But as a consequence it makes the game a little repetitive. You read some part of the book then you go to a battle. And there's not much a variety of monsters, the only thing that really changes about them is the element type.

Despite of the repetition, I really recommend that you play this game. Not only you get involved with the story, but the gameplay is very fun. There is a lot of customizations that you can make with spells and discover the best combinations for certain enemies. In order to beat the game you have to grind and that's when the repetition comes stronger. Fortunately, the developers are releasing free DLCs to expand the experience with new quests. I also have to highlight the amazing soundtrack.
  29. Aug 7, 2013
    This game... It's simply amazing! I've been curious about it but went directly to my local retailer after having tried the demo. There's a very unique and interesting story, awesome skill-based gameplay but the multiplayer is pure mind-blowing.
  30. Jun 19, 2013
    My second favorite ps vita title for now. Love the gameplay only got a little annoyed for the same fights and repetition so i gave it a 9. It would be a 10 if it wasn't repetitive. Apart from that it has a excellent story that will make you feel bad for the characters and for the main character too. Hours of fun are guaranteed! If you like fast paced RPG games you really have to play it and you will love it! One of the best ps vita games so far and i think it is a little under-rated but still consider it a great game with a big variety of weapons and spells and sacrifices and you will need to choose the good side or the bad side! Expand
  31. May 2, 2013
    Absolutely astounding. One of the best vita games out there. Every piece of it is amazing. The spells are really cool, the animations(except the walking one) are really good. The monsters aren't as memorable as monster hunters monsters(example: Tigrex, Rathian) but they are fun to fight. This game is loads of fun, and worth a buy if you like action RPG's at all. There's tons to do in the game, and more to come in free dlc later. Expand
  32. Dec 6, 2013
    What. A. Game! Impressive and touchy story that will grow on you, better than any book or movie I've read or seen, ever. Awesome gameplay, fun multiplayer, jaw-dropping graphics all of that accompanied with a beautiful musical score. My top favorite game on Vita, hands down.

If you don't have a PS Vita yet, please do yourself a favor and get one WITH this masterpiece of game. Really,
    what a game... Expand
  33. Jun 23, 2013
    This is one of my favorite games. If you have a Vita and likes to play with other people, definitely get the Soul Sacrifice. You have so many ways to customize your character build. In this sense it's like the Diablo 3. The game is formed in different quests so it's suitable for handheld you can stop after each quest. The story is deep too. Although there's no cut scene so don't expect it like the normal JRPG. it's not. It's an action RPG. You choose to sacrifice or safe after each kill, and that will affect how your character grows as well as the story. Expand
  34. May 4, 2013
    Absoultely underrated game. I didn't like monster hunter freedom, but this is one of the more addicting and balanced games I have played in a while. All I can say is give it a try, especially if your skeptical. The story and good gameplay will keep you entertained for hours on end.Fyi: I don't give out 10's or 1's
  35. May 5, 2013
    I don't know why people even mention Monster Hunter, it has nothing to do with that besides having a 3rd person camera.

Most of the things I'd say have already been said, so just one thing. Read the Lore! Really, it's that good. I seldom read text in games, because usually even the not-so-good books outperform games in this area, but not in this case. Each monster and location has it's
    own dark tale, and it's really good, reminds me of Neil Gaiman. Great atmosphere and even something to think about sometimes. I loved how they twisted around the usual fantasy rpg monsters you see in most of these games and gave them brand new identities. And it really make the game more enjoyable if you know how that monster in front of you came to be and why it does what it does. For me it even influenced my decision to sacrifice it or not. Expand
  36. May 12, 2013
    All I can say is this game is awesome. Those who are into action RPG should definitely pick this one up. It's all about gathering the right stuff to make yourself powerful and kill the bosses. The big baddies are the heart of the game and especially killing them online with a group and sorcerers is freakin fun. I was especially disappointed with the low value that I got from Diablo 3 last year and this game fills the void perfectly. Ignore the noob reviews I'm 50 hours in and still enjoying it. Diablo 3 fun factor wore out at around the 15 hour mark. Collapse
  37. May 16, 2013
    I have never been into RPG's. Reason being I sat and watched a friend the year Final Fantasy 7 came out for hours on end point/click/attack. Boring...Unbelievably boring. I created a Metacritic account just for this game, just to leave a review for this game. This is the first RPG I have ever played and I am in LOVE with it. Fantastic story, dark and grimy lore. The spells that you earn are extremely satisfying to use, especially when you combine them and make them more powerful. I don't mind "repetitiveness" apparently, so "grinding for "loot" is fun. I'm about 25 hours in and I am STILL finding new spells to use. For newcomers to the RPG genre I would more than recommend this. The frame-rate is rock solid and online multi-player is a blast. Plenty of people to play with and loads of fun to be had. I rate this game a solid 9.5 for originality and the release a new IP. I am baffled at the low scores from any outlet or user. I honestly don't believe you could rate this game anything lower than 8 out of a 1-10 scale. With loads of content and free content on the way I don't believe you can go wrong.
    Gameplay: 9 (Unique weapons to fight bosses that have vulnerabilities. Ice for fire/Stone for Ice etc.)
    Story: 9 (Originality alone)
    Graphics: 7.5 (A few muddy textures here and there, but not noticeable during play unless you are looking for it. Even less so during frantic battles.) (Compare to Uncharted: Golden Abyss which in my mind sits at a solid 8.5)
    Replayability: 10 (There is more than enough content to last you hours upon hours of play. Online multiplayer stretches this out even further. Not to mention the free DLC missions to be released.)
    Final Score: 9.5 (New original IP with tons of content. Original intriguing story coupled with morality choices that you affect directly.)
    Verdict: Buy and thank Keiji Inafune later ^_^
  38. Jul 4, 2013
    This game is different in a good way. It has very interesting story and nice graphics. I think this game is one of a kind. I like how the online works even though there are no many players. I'm looking forward to more games that take risk and try to do something new.
  39. Oct 22, 2013
    I found it more interesting than monster hunter series. I don't agree with those who said it was void of depth, it has a story, if this game is void of depth, MH will be a joke.
  40. Dec 30, 2013
    First game on my vita it exceeded my expectations. Everything in this game just blends together,the control mechanics the atmosphere. It may be repetitive but it's also rewarding. Lots of skills to use and the story was great with a superb music to boot highly recommended
  41. May 12, 2013

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Soul Sacrifice is a heavy action-rpg with a great moral choice system. Even if the camera controls are poor and there are a few graphical quirks the developer Marvelous AQL delivers an awesome game with lots of replayability. If you own a PS Vita you owe yourself to play this game.
  2. The gameplay is smooth and every spell is designed to be both cool and useful. The environments are well crafted, ranging from icy plains mired with huge chains to forests filled with bizarre trees covered in throbbing blood veins. [June 2013, p.88]
  3. Soul Sacrifice isn’t the deepest Action-RPG out there, but it’s certainly one of the most interesting, and it feels right at home on PS Vita. [July 2013, p78]