6.7

1. Jun 10, 2013
    It's not epic story about end of the world, but it's personal and full of emotions. Told with minimalistic set pieces that works right, because soon you will sympathize with these little colorful rectangles.
  2. May 11, 2013
    I got Thomas Was Alone because it was free this month on PS Plus, but I would have been very happen to purchase it. If I had to describe it I would say 'portal with quadrangles'. It is available on multiple platforms but with well implemented touch controls that complement the standard buttons and most levels only taking a few minutes to complete it is a perfect fit for Vita.
  3. Aug 2, 2013
    Mike Bithell makes a game that is such an incredible joy to play, I hated having it finished.
    Sporting hilarious narration, beautifully simplistic design and truly enjoyable mechanics that was only let down by the simple technicality that there was just not enough of it.

Originally finding its way into my life as one of the PS+ freebies for April, Thomas Was Alone was randomly selected to be the first game I've played in a long time on the dust collector called my PS Vita.
    The story of Thomas is a simple one. He is an AI gone rogue, but an AI with a heart that is ultimately filled with friendship and heroism as he joins a band of other misfit AI to escape into the world.

Thomas, as the name suggests, begins the story as a lone jumping rectangle that you guide through various simple side scrolling levels. On your journey however you meet various other quadrangles of different sizes that provide different skills; including a short wide pink one that functions as a trampoline, a large blue square that cant jump very high but floats on water and a tall slim yellow one that jumps to enormous heights. It is in this part of the design that the games concept truly excels, instead of learning skills you meet friends, instead of fighting enemies you tackle the changing levels as a team, you must use your brain and work out the correct way and place to make use of each characters skills to guide you through the story, a concept I really warmed to.

Each shape is given unique personality and character via the stunningly charming and soothing narration by Danny Wallace continuing to add to the nonsensical depth of a group of shapes and giving you an idea of the importance of their adventure from their perspective. It is at this point where Thomas Was Alone really becomes an experience. The story narration, alongside beautiful music by Danny Housden, and lighting effects that are pointlessly beautiful, bring the mechanics of this little game to life. On face value this is a game where you play as a series of shapes jumping around a world, but the more you play, the more it becomes, making you care for the characters, cheer for them, vilify them and genuinely be happy for them as they progress through their journey, a journey that is all too short.

And it is here where my only issue, but a personal argument lies. At around 3 hours this game is short as you'd expect from the price point and genre but I cant decide if I want more. There is a fascinating commentary edition to play through that as a fan of movie commentaries I loved but what I really wanted was more to play in this world. However the issue I'm facing is that I feel much more would have devalued it, risked the ‘novelty wearing off’ or myself becoming frustrated at an eventually rising difficulty curve.

Thomas Was Alone is the beautiful vision of a single man that takes any ‘graphics over gameplay’ argument by the scruff of its neck and gives it a good smacking. You become engrossed in the story, the characters and the world in a way I haven't felt with any triple A games in a long long time and any indie games since Journey. Its low price point and short compact ‘experience it’ story make it a must buy with the latter being this games only downfall. Give me more.
  4. Feb 14, 2014
    a game that makes you care about characters that are nothing more than rectangles or squares. Thomas was alone provides a really unique and interesting experience. It is a puzzle platformer that requires some thinking and the use of numerous "abilities" that the shapes possess. There are a number of powers and it is a treat to use the shapes numerous sizes and jumping abilities to navigatea game that makes you care about characters that are nothing more than rectangles or squares. Thomas was alone provides a really unique and interesting experience. It is a puzzle platformer that requires some thinking and the use of numerous "abilities" that the shapes possess. There are a number of powers and it is a treat to use the shapes numerous sizes and jumping abilities to navigate through a series of levels. the game is around the perfect length for something like this at about 3 hours (maybe less) but despite the excellent gameplay it is not the star of the show.

an excellent story told by narrations from an UN-named narrator describes the feelings and thoughts of most of these shapes as they attempt to escape their doom. The story is really interesting and is brilliantly written.

this game was an absolute treat to play on vita.
  5. Apr 28, 2014
    This game is fantastic. The story is incredible, as are the graphics and soundtrack. It is near perfection. It works really well on the PS Vita, and I found the touch-screen controls very useful, as I often lost track of how to control each character on the PC version. I am very excited to play Mike's next games!
  6. Mar 22, 2015
    Thomas was Alone
    A roller Coaster of Emotion
    Thomas Was Alone is a puzzle platforming game The first half of the game really tugs on your heart strings as characters are being introduced, As youre getting smacked with real life metaphors, it just punches your right in the gut, but after the initial introductions the narration and story feels stale, leaving you with only the experience
    Thomas was Alone
    A roller Coaster of Emotion
    Thomas Was Alone is a puzzle platforming game
    As youre getting smacked with real life metaphors, it just punches your right in the gut, but after the initial introductions the narration and story feels stale, leaving you with only the experience of the games world
    Disappointingly though there isn’t too much to experience.
    The main objective to the game is to get each character to their shaped portal, you do this by simple platforming and team work.
    There are the occasional really neat levels, but for the most part they are bland, colorless, boring, and offer no challenge.
    I was flying through most of the game, it got really boring and tedious fast.
    The only thing that kept me going was my love for the story, I cared about these squares and rectangles,
    You are introduced to 7 initial characters that each have their own mechanic to them such as inversion, doubles jumps, and floating.. All feeling equally important to the overall level progression.
    But as I said earlier the story gets out of hand and feels jumbled by the 6th world out of 10.
    I was hoping it would pick back up again, but they felt the urge to introduce even more characters rather than give a satisfying ending or conclusion for the previous characters.
    There are 100 levels in total in Thomas was alone, 2 collectibles in each of the 10 worlds to find, and a cute story and idea,
    Id recommend a play through only to experience the narrative, who knows you may appreciate the 2nd half of the game, I personally didn’t
    There isn’t much actual game here though, no risk, no reward.
    You can get through most levels on aggressive instinct rather than sitting back and thinking.
    For what it is
    Puzzle Platformer 7/10
    Overall: 7.5/10
  7. Jul 31, 2014
    I bought this game when it was on a flash sale for 99 cents, it was an awesome game it was challenging but not frustrating. I loved how they took this simple puzzler and made it so much more interesting by giving each small shape a name and personality as well as a British narrator to chronicle their journey. The only reason I gave it an 8 instead of a 10 is that I found it somewhat shortI bought this game when it was on a flash sale for 99 cents, it was an awesome game it was challenging but not frustrating. I loved how they took this simple puzzler and made it so much more interesting by giving each small shape a name and personality as well as a British narrator to chronicle their journey. The only reason I gave it an 8 instead of a 10 is that I found it somewhat short for a 10$ game. (probably because it was so good I rushed through it) but if you love puzzlers or get it on sale it is a must buy. Expand

Sharp and peculiar platformer that may look repetitive at first glance, but is more than worth the price of admission.
  2. May 13, 2013
    A charming and beautiful minimalistic puzzle platform game that offers both a gripping and amusing story through its great narration.
  3. May 9, 2013
    Thomas Was Alone does a stellar job in doing what it sets out to achieve. It uses simplistic visuals and basic gameplay to convey a sense of wonder and tell a very personable, well written and well realised story of isolation and companionship.