7.9

1. Jul 21, 2013
    As a self-confessed huge shmup-aholic, I, along with an overwhelming number of PSP owners who took the plunge, utterly adored Velocity in it's original, 'Minis' form. However despite it's critical success (culminating in 9 out of 10 reviews from the esteemed pages of EDGE and Pocket Gamer), as a package, I must admit to harbouring an unshakable tinge of disappointment that, as a game builtAs a self-confessed huge shmup-aholic, I, along with an overwhelming number of PSP owners who took the plunge, utterly adored Velocity in it's original, 'Minis' form. However despite it's critical success (culminating in 9 out of 10 reviews from the esteemed pages of EDGE and Pocket Gamer), as a package, I must admit to harbouring an unshakable tinge of disappointment that, as a game built from the ground up for last-gen hardware, Velocity was unfortunately lacking the polish that it's otherwise high-end tactility and gameplay so desperately deserved. This was particularly evident when playing on a Playstation Vita.

Aside from the now ubiquitous inclusion of highscore leaderboards to climb and PSN trophies to hoard, all that was needed was that final layer of HD-spit and native OLED-polish that would truly elevate this high-grade shooter to the lofty heights of indie folklore. Well, at least as far as Playstation indies are concerned. And now with the utterly fabulous Velocity Ultra, British based outfit, FuturLab are finally able to bask in all the glory and plaudits that their wonderfully nuanced and deeply rewarding IP so richly deserved from the very beginning.

Having had a love affair with 8 and 16-bit pixel art for as long as I can remember, I must admit to initial pangs of disappointment to find the absence of the original games beautifully 'old skool' visual flavour, but I have always trusted this developers judgement, and pretty much consider their shift in presentational style to be a necessary evil of sorts.

Regardless of what type of game floats your particular boat, Velocity Ultra is a truly exceptional game, much less one confined to the genre-specific reaches of shoot'em-up fame. As such, it represents the very embodiment of Sony's hugely appreciated pursuit of bringing some of the very finest offerings from the indie community to handheld and console audiences, both this gen and next. And I for one, couldn't be happier.

2. May 28, 2013
    It is shockingly, almost unbelievably, just so very much better than the original. Combine this with Sine Mora and you have yourself the perfect escape for that daily four hour train commute to and from work. And then some.
  3. Aug 1, 2013
    Got this game part of PS Plus. It's awesome and loved the challenges it brought on each level.
    Gameplay is cool and levels are well designed. Sweet classic mini games were also fun.
    I loved it.
  4. May 25, 2014
    Velocity Ultra is completely unlike any other shmup in a good way. The teleportation mechanic adds depth to the gameplay and makes the formula more addictive. It's accessible but very fun a good quality for portable games.
  5. Apr 28, 2014
    Velocity Ultra is a masterpiece.I'm a fanatic of Shoot'm up and this game is revolutionary.The teleport between zones,the speed,the dual stick,the music,etc it is a reflect of a work well done.
    If you have a psvita,you should buy it.As simple as that.
    Greatness awaits,well,Velocity 2x is that greatness.
  6. Jun 6, 2014
    A fantastic, old-school feeling side scrolling shooter with enough modern touches to set it apart from the crowd. It might very well be one of the best downloadable games on PSN. It's addictive and will keep you coming back for more. It's main gameplay hooks of teleporting and speed work fantastically, and it's just an all around fantastic package. My total score for the game is aA fantastic, old-school feeling side scrolling shooter with enough modern touches to set it apart from the crowd. It might very well be one of the best downloadable games on PSN. It's addictive and will keep you coming back for more. It's main gameplay hooks of teleporting and speed work fantastically, and it's just an all around fantastic package. My total score for the game is a 9.1/10=Amazing. I highly recommend you check this one out. Expand
  7. Aug 24, 2014
    Velocity Ultra is actually a fun, fast paced, and addicting little game. It is exhilarating as you race against time to get the gold and feels very rewarding when you destroy/kill items/enemies. The game is not going to wow anyone, but don't judge a book by it's cover, the gameplay is very fun. Although this is not a game I would run out the door to buy since it's not a "big triple aVelocity Ultra is actually a fun, fast paced, and addicting little game. It is exhilarating as you race against time to get the gold and feels very rewarding when you destroy/kill items/enemies. The game is not going to wow anyone, but don't judge a book by it's cover, the gameplay is very fun. Although this is not a game I would run out the door to buy since it's not a "big triple a game"/ basically a repetitive game/ doesn't have much of a story; it's still a good game for what it is, and honestly wished this was what resogun would've resembled on the ps4 (didn't like resogun). check this game out if you have some time to kill. Expand
  8. Nov 24, 2013
    Velocity Ultra is a must-own on for the Vita, PS3, and/or PC. It's a vertical shooter with lots of accessibility and great controls. Joris de Man's music sounds excellent and goes with the game. It holds up great with nice visuals and and at 60fps. It is also loaded with tough challenges, the game Snake, Minesweeper, and two-player mini-games as well. Makes for a worthy pick-up and playVelocity Ultra is a must-own on for the Vita, PS3, and/or PC. It's a vertical shooter with lots of accessibility and great controls. Joris de Man's music sounds excellent and goes with the game. It holds up great with nice visuals and and at 60fps. It is also loaded with tough challenges, the game Snake, Minesweeper, and two-player mini-games as well. Makes for a worthy pick-up and play experience. Expand
  9. Nov 11, 2013
    This game is just too much fun, I had it as a Mini and now its even better: trophy support, HD visuals, and a kick ass comic book style cutscenes. I have no idea what's going on with the story, but the drawings are nice nonetheless.

It is all about gameplay, though. Level designs are tight and controls feel very precise. The latter levels are quite hard, but its always a good time. Velocity should be right up your alley if you're into shoot em ups and puzzle games.

I personally like the straight forward levels more (some that you have to shoot all enemies, or rush trough the level due to time constraints). The more elaborate, puzzle like levels are cool as well, but they require some memorization and I'm awful at that.

I should warn, though, that it might not be to everybody. If you're looking for fancy graphics or epic sagas, this game is not for you.

I showed Velocity to my nephews (9 and 11 YO), and they couldn't get into the straight forward approach and difficulty level. They'd rather play Fifa and Uncharted on easy, so they can feel like super powerful dudes.
  10. Dec 9, 2013
    If you own a PS Vita and are a fan of shoot em ups or not, I recommend this game. It's got good graphics and sound. The control method is easy to master and the game won't disappoint. I think it's only available via the PlayStation Store as I have not seen it in any stores that sell PS Vita games.
  11. Feb 17, 2014
    Velocity ultra is a great portable game. The bite sized levels are challenging and addictive. More than once i almost forgot to get out of the train in time because i was in the middle of a mission.
    The comic book cut scenes are cute but the story does not really add anything to the experience. This is not a problem because gameplay and level design are the main focus and they completely deliver on those parts.

1. Aug 7, 2013
    Few great additions aside from the new graphics, but Velocity Ultra is still one of the best shoot'em ups on PlayStation Vita.
  2. Jul 31, 2013
    Velocity Ultra looks, plays, and sometimes feels like a traditional vertical scrolling shooter, but has a level of accessibility and innovation that separates it from comparable games. Its main hook is one I never felt fully comfortable with, but it didn’t hinder the overall experience. The genre convergence on display here is exciting, and worth playing even if you typically avoid shoot ‘em ups.
  3. Jul 23, 2013
    You'll get annoyed - really annoyed - but it's worth it. And, as it turns out, it's actually pretty fast after all. [Issue#233, p.81]