8.7

1. Mar 19, 2014
    This game is why I bought a vita, and this game made it all worth it. This is a thinking man's game- so you have to be prepared to actually read and solve puzzles. That being said, the narrative style of this game is unlike any other game, unique to the Zero escape series. The puzzles are all very well thought out and original. I HATE puzzle games on the whole, but I am addicted to the puzzles in this series because they are simply so well thought out and interlaced with the narrative. This particular game was so thought provoking I was questioning my own existence by the end of it. Are you familiar with the phrase "mind = blown"? This game offers that feeling in spades all throughout.

If you own a Vita and have not bought this game already, then you are missing out on (in my opinion) the best handheld game ever released for the platform.
  2. Mar 15, 2014
    This is one of those incredible games that aren`t very popular but they can surprise you when you play it.
    Both 999 and Virtue`s Last Reward are fantastic games. Incredible story, amazing characters and 24 fantastic endings. If you are a fan of Visual Novels you can`t miss this game!
  3. Mar 10, 2014
    amazing story that keeps you on your edge of your seat. great series of rooms to solve. 3DS gets the edge as its much easier to write with a stylus rather than your fingers. with over 20 endings. there is a ton of replay value. might be a little lost if you didn't play the first game in the series (999) as it was DS only.
  4. Feb 1, 2014
    I was hesitant whether or not to get this game at first,probably due to the puzzle sections,as I wasn't accustomed to playing puzzle games.
    As I finished the game,it instantly became one of the best game experiences I've had in all my life,everything is just amazing.And because of that I can say: Go for it. [Just be sure to play its prequel first]
  5. Dec 26, 2013
    An amazing experience of a game, I had done no research on what kind of game it is prior to getting it and was very surprised upon playing it. Easily one of the best story-driven plot twisty games I have played. ever.
  6. Dec 13, 2013
    #1 Game for me for PS VITA, you simply can't put it down once you start playing. I downloaded this game for free as I'm a ps plus member but I will buy physical copy in the future because it's just awesome game and I want to have access on this game once my ps plus expires. Everything about it is brilliant: Storyline, Graphics Gameplay, Voice acting, etc... Puzzles are really challenging & fun. Once you start playing this game you can't stop playing afterwards until you finish it. Everybunny MUST buy this game Expand
  7. Dec 9, 2013
    My second game for PS Vita, my first entry to Visual Novel genre and my first platinum walkthrough.

The game is a mixture of Visual Novel and a Puzzle/Point-and-Click Adventure. A lot of text, not many animations. The story is very catchy and multy-layered. The information is given in portions and sometimes the new portion gives some new questions along with new clues. You have to find
    all the stuff and open all the branches of story to reveal all the details of the story. The characters are well written, have great models and voice acting (the voiceovers are in Japanese and the text is English). The gameplay is pretty comfortable, most of the time you won't need to completely walk through the previous puzzles if you forgot to take something, you can jump through rooms at any time.

The atmosphere is pressing and full of tension. I'd call this game a Sci-Fi thriller. The concept is similar to the one in movies like "The House Of The Nine", "Cube" and "Saw". But not so gory.

To be honest, I don't see any obvious disadvantages in this game. The only letdown can appear for the people that do not like to read because the game is heavily text-based. Anyone who loves story-oriented games should try this. The game is a masterpiece. Hopefully, I manage to play the first part of the series somehow though I do not own a DS console.
  8. Dec 1, 2013
    Virtue's Last Reward is simply the best Visual Novel I have EVER played. It has everything this type of games needs, from original and mind-blowing plot (masterpiece!), to great characters, to awesome art and wonderful soundtrack. If you're into Visual Novels, and haven't played Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, do it. Now.
  9. Nov 28, 2013
    Wow, is this game overrated. It's essentially Myst, set in a dystopian Big Brother setting. A story puzzler with terrible writing (the characters and dialogue are atrocious, imo), terrible puzzles, and sad visuals. Quite a let down. I wish I got the great experience out of it that many others clearly have.
  10. Nov 9, 2013
    A very interesting game. The plot has many twists and a lot of different outcomes, and all the characters are unique and unpredictible. In my opinion it gets a bit to slow paced though as the dialogues can drag on for eternity it seems without you doing nothing but inhaling tons of information.
  11. Sep 10, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic, and one of the best stories I've ever experienced in video games. I strongly recommend people to play this. Definitely worth it. Words cannot even describe how great and epic the story is; especially the ending. It was mind-blowing.
  12. Sep 2, 2013
    I don´t liked the demo, but when sony give this game with plus i give it another choice. This game have a really great history and characters, some of the puzzles are impossible without a guide.
  13. Aug 23, 2013
    NT1, this is a "Visual Novel" not really a game, so go play CoD or something.
    This has one of the most complex, interesting and enjoyable stories of anything I've ever seen, And I highly recommend it to any people looking for a game with story. The graphics, although simple, look really nice on the Vita's screen.
    Each character has their own ending, and All are very fun to earn. The
    choices are fairly simple, but the timeline is massive, and I loved unlocking everything on it. The puzzles can be hard, and I did get stuck on a few occasions, but I never got too frustrated at them.
    Overall, this game will last you quite a while to do everything, and is one of the best games I've ever played.
  14. Jul 29, 2013
    I have no words for how incredible this game was. YOU NEED TO PLAY THE PREQUEL 999 FIRST. It only had such an impact because of it. It connected so well, the story was just phenomenal. Puzzles were difficult and frustrating at times, but that's the point of the game I guess. Hard to name much games with a better story than this. Also the soundtrack was out of this world.
  15. Jul 13, 2013
    I give this game ~9.5
    I heard great things about this game before, but I never would have thought it would be THIS fantastic!
    The story is so.. compex, brilliant, thoughtful, disturbing, creepy, and touching all at the same time. The "endings" structure of the game makes it one of the most complex games since Myst. The characters are unique and likeable. And nothing is predictable or
    goes as planned.

This game's story may be the biggest mind-f**ks in the history of gaming!!!!!
    Gonna buy its sequest day 1.
  16. Jun 15, 2013
    Before starting this review, one warning about this game: if you DO NOT LIKE reading much and WANT action, turn and leave immediately and never return. For those who actually do like, I only have to say one thing: this game is a masterpiece. This one of the best adventure games I've played on this generation of portable console. It has almost everything done right: the story is fantastic and it will hook you right in once you start (it literally did hook me until I was done with it!) and has so many twists and so much background history that you'll just want to know how, when, why! The characters are great and you'll be either hating and loving them accordingly on you'll play the game, especially if some of you have played the previous game (999) since few characters come from there (how many, you have to find out yourself). The new characters are also interesting and you'll always want to know their backstories, without mentioning that you WILL hate them at a some point. Infact, this game is all based about trust and betrayal, and as much as being a small detail, this detail is the main factor of the game that will carry until the end. So the story is good, but what about the gameplay? Well the original game had a big flaw on that department, being extremely easy and just too short to finish, and that you had to repeat the same section over and over without being able to skip. VLR however strikes and wins also on the longevity by not only having over 9 endings (not counting the bad endings AND the true ending), but by also having some great puzzles that are actually pretty challenging...if you want to, since there's an easy option to put it in easy anytime (which will basically give you hints now and then) and the possibility to skip right away any dialogue that you've seen, with also a handy screen where you can jump scenes anytime, which will make following the paths so much easier in comparison to the previous game. However you'll have to finish the game in hard for unlocking most of the stuff, but in either easy or hard difficulty this will easily take your over 30 hours of gameplay to complete the game entirely (without mentioning that it's also a pretty easy platinum, for those who are trophy hunters). Although It DOES have some big flaws that even if they are big they do not really ruin the game. For starters, the VITA version do have better visuals and graphics, and while I'm no graphic maniac this is kind of a big winning point considering that this game is still a "Visual" Novel, and this version definitely wins on the "visual" part AND the also on being more stable than the 3DS version (my sister, who owns the 3DS version of this game, at least froze 3 times and there's also a bug that if you save during a puzzle section, it will freeze); also the character models while not being exciting or great, they are still better to look than the 3DS version, even though the characters have minimal animations and only during dialogues, and only few cutscenes are actually animated well, while the rest are basically still images which is rather disappointing considering that while 999 was entirely in 2D, this one has actually 3D enviroments and character models, but no barely any animation. Second, the game has lowered the dark tone of the game, from being extremely frightful in the first game (there was a time limit and the death penalty was rather gruesome), from being more calm and not always menacing (no actual time limit and the death penalty is also painless). I heard that the lowering in tone was due of the extremely dark tone of the first game and that was actually too scary for some people, and while I don't really mind this change I still loved the thrilling enviroment of the first game. Third, while the VITA version has almost no bugs and better visuals, the controls on the other hand are crippled to the extreme, making the use of the in-built basically impossible due to the laggy interface, while the 3DS version works great and you can easily make notes on it. Pen and paper still works best however. In any case the game is just great to see and fantastic to play. Like I said at the start, if you love visual novel style of adventures, this game is a must buy because of it's huge longevity and replay value (since that replaying in hard is kind of a must), with a great story to follow and so many twists that will just surprise you on so many levels. Also I want to say that, if you play the European version, you'll only get the Japanese dubbing, while the american version has both japanese and american dubbing: this is only personal choice, however the dubbings were pretty good and have some good voice acting and voice actors (although the bunny in english was hilarious!). Just remember that you cannot remove the voices and so you'll have to stick with it for the rest of the game. With that said, if you want a good adventure game, give it try and stay tuned for the next game! Expand
  17. May 13, 2013
    Don't allow the poor technical aspects of this game fool you. Setting them aside, this game is an absolute masterpiece. You might be surprised that it doesn't treat you like a brainless brat, like most of the games nowadays do. It treats you as an intelligent adult, and also demands you some reading and thinking.

If you like quality Sci-Fi, once you start spotting a glimpse of the full
    plot, you will be inevitably trapped in the mysteries and twists happening in front of you.

Plot is great, characters are deep, and surprisingly, the game succeeds at creating its own language. One that ties the plot to a videogame. It's impossible to export this story to a book or film. So you should run to buy and enjoy this game, because as Phi would say:

"Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere"
  18. Apr 18, 2013
    This game is VERY well done. It's not for everyone, though. This isn't like the Professor Layton games. It is a visual novel. Basically, it's a long book on your Vita with some pretty challenging puzzles. The graphics are a little bad, but that's now what this game is about. It is a very deep story that branches out and forces you to learn certain things about the characters before progressing. It is amazingly well written, considering all of the branches this story takes. Although the characters have great voice acting, you will probably not enjoy this game if you don't like reading. Collapse
  19. Mar 11, 2013
    This game is absolutely superb. You get this game for the story and the atmosphere created and the choices you have to make along the way. Virtue's Last Reward on the Vita boasts an expansive narrative which can be completed in multiple ways with a set of puzzles which range in difficulty and are scalable. If you love a good puzzle game this is certainly it. The game is split about 60 -40 with 'Novel' sections which involve a building up of the narrative and allowing you to make choices about certain characters fates making up the larger chunk. So if you don't like a story which is quite large I wouldn't suggest this game if your the type who likes to jump straight in. However for those who love story based games this game wields an extrodinary narrative that deserves to be highly commended for its well written plot and well done voice acting (although this EU edition only has Jap Dub with Eng Sub) the quality is high, with the story revolving around the 'Prisoner's Dilemna'. A complicated idea to tackle. Two members of a criminal gang are arrested and imprisoned. Each prisoner is in solitary confinement with no means of speaking to or exchanging messages with the other. The police admit they don't have enough evidence to convict the pair on the principal charge. They plan to sentence both to a year in prison on a lesser charge. Simultaneously, the police offer each prisoner a Faustian bargain. If he testifies against his partner, he will go free while the partner will get three years in prison on the main charge. Oh, yes, there is a catch If both prisoners testify against each other, both will be sentenced to two years in jail, This is the prisoner's dilemna and Virtue's Last Reward presents the psychological element of this brilliantly. Never before has a story affected my mind so much in a way that psychologically I'm always questioning the decisions I've made. The aim of the game is quite simple however it is to escape esentially a prison which you have been forced into confinement with by some one who calls themself 'Zero Sr.' however the catch is Zero Sr is amongst the other 8 prisoners and nobody knows which one of them it is. From this point on the story begins to unravel as death, betrayl and mystery are scattered throughout this rich narrative. The 40% of the puzzle sections are also done really well with puzzles being solved by interacting with environment around you as you piece together clues to get a 'key' which will allow you out of a 'game room' which Zero has created for each contestant and forces them to participate in. For the most part these puzzles are large and require quite a few steps to complete ranging from sliding block puzzles, to logic puzzles and beyond. In summary, VLR is a must have for any Vita owner that loves being absorbed in an engrossing story, particularly because it is perfect for playing in the palm of your hand. (Note: Game also available on 3DS, Vita animations and graphics appear visibly smoother and more high res as well as having the inclusion of trophies however some might prefer to use the two screens for easier navigation on the 3DS.) Gameplay: 9 Graphics:9 Presentation: 9 Lasting Appeal and Longevity: 9.5 Expand
  20. Mar 7, 2013
    I will dispense with reviews of the game itself since there is overwhelming positive comments on the game across the internet and I for one share in them and do like this game very much. I will however give the reasons as to why I recommend the Vita version over the 3ds. I own and have played the Vita version and compared it to my friend's 3ds copy.

1- The vita has superior looking
    graphics. Partly due to the fact the game was designed around the Vita itself, partly due to the superior hardware of the Vita and partly because the Vita version has uncompressed graphics. It looks much nicer on the Vita. The 3ds version has compressed graphics when in comparison don't look nearly as good and if you try to play it in 3d the graphics take a slight dip even further as do all 3ds games. The widescreen aspect of the Vita also helps a lot. The colors are just more vibrant and sharper on the Vita.

2- The sound is better on the Vita. Again it's due to the sound being uncompressed on the Vita while being compressed on the 3ds. It's slight, but noticeable.

3- Game breaking save bug on the 3ds version. The 3ds version of the game in Japan had a bug in it which would destroy your save file and it has carried over into the American game. It's not guaranteed but a lot of people have run into it. If you save your game during certain portions of the game it will corrupt your save and you will have to start all over again. It's been verified by myself and others that the Vita version does not contain this problem.

Other notes- The Vita version has trophy support if you're into collecting them. People have claimed the touch screen on the 3ds is far superior but what they don't understand is you can use a style on the Vita and get the exact same results, a simple and very cheap capacitive stylus works just fine on the Vita touch screen. I personally liked having everything on one screen instead of a split screen. You can take screenshots in the game. You get more save game slots while the 3ds has only one.

All in all this is a great game and worth playing on either system but at the end of the day I cannot see any reason to not play it on the Vita as it is a better experience in every way.
  21. Feb 17, 2013
    Virtue's Last Reward is a game built on choices, will you ALLY or will you BETRAY? Player's will find themselves deeply immersed in the world, obsessed with the characters and an emotional wreck by the time the game is over. VLR is a phenomenal experience in every way and a must own title for any PS Vita owner. Full Review at: http://geeklifeaus.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/zero-escape-virtues-last-reward-review.html Expand
  22. NT1
    Feb 14, 2013
    This is the most boring game i've ever played. I've been in the game for 5 hours now, and I have completed 4 puzzles in about 30 minutes. So, for 4,5 hours i have read a lot of text and that's it! This is tipically a game for an iOs or Android device for about €2,-. But the price in the stores is €40,-! Ridiculous! The story is boring, it has been done better in movies like House of 9 and Identity, wich are not that great either. The amount of text you have to go through is insane. If I want to read alot, i pick up a book and go read. If i want to play a game, i actually want to PLAY! I really can't understand why IGN gave it a 9.5/10 and why it's score is so high here on Metacritic. So is it really that bad? Yes, the only good thing i can come up with are the graphics that are pretty good. Characters story can be very deep, but after 3 hours I didn't care anymore. I just skipped all the text because the puzzles are very well done. I wanted to do the puzzles and didn't care about the story at all. If there were more choices to make in the game it would be more interesting. Now i only have the feeling i watch everyhting and don't make a part of anything. So, if you like to read much and have a few challanging puzzles, this is your game. If not, stay the hell away from here. Expand
  23. Jan 14, 2013
    Quickly becoming one of my favorite video game series of all time, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward is the follow to the highly, HIGHLY underrated 999 visual novel/puzzle game released in 2010 in the US. While you can get away with playing this game on it's own, you're doing yourself a disservice by not playing that one first. It tells the story of Sigma and 8 other's who are trapped in a life or death game. I won't give any other details beyond that as discovering what happens on your own is the best part of this game. The other part of the game is the puzzle portion, which is exceptionally well done. I personally played this game for the story and feel that is the main draw behind it, being a visual novel and all. But the puzzles will definitely make you think. I wouldn't suggest playing this if you like your puzzles simple and easy too. Some of these puzzles are not for the faint of heart as you will definitely need to write alot of stuff down to keep up. The main differences between the Vita and 3DS versions are basically graphics or an easier time to click on stuff during puzzles. While the Vita version looks beautiful, it can be a bit difficult when trying to click on small things here and there as the screen doesn't always go where you point your finger. The 3DS version however, does not look anywhere near as good as the Vita does. The 3D portraits of the characters are wonderful and the attention to detail is astounding. This is easily one of the best stories out there right now and, if the quality of the future games in the series stay the same as this, you'll might find that this could turn out to be one of the best visual novels of all time. I can't wait for the next in the series, because there will be another one. But in the meantime, I'll be spreading the word about this series to anyone I see. Expand
  24. Jan 4, 2013
    If you played 999 and you loved it as much as I did, Virtue's Last Reward will repay your hype like no sequel ever did. Plot twists. puzzles, character design and gameplay are pretty flawless and the game will keep your eyes stuck on your Vita until you complete every available ending. Absolutely recommended!
  25. Dec 19, 2012
    I'm sorry, but to be real and short this game is: 1) heavily slow (99% of the time you will read a beeping text) 2) static (quite nothing moves on the screen) 3) terrible graphics (except for the characters) 4) stupid character design 5) english only with japanese speech versus 6) very interesting plots (the story is the ONLY reason I wan't to go on and finish it all) 7) very well done voice acting
    8) beautifully realized characters (the only think you can actually watch in this game, expept for their way to dress)
    9) puzzles room are fun and intriguing

That's it: a game with a nice core but terribly presented.
  26. Nov 29, 2012
    Awesome experience. It is not a title for anybody. There is so few gameplay that I have a problems to call it a game. Most of the time you are just reading story and pressing "next" button. There are few puzzle parts (kind of like old school point and click adventure game) and decisions. But reading is the main part. You can spent 1,5 hour linear reading. Then perform one decisions to branch the story and then read another 1 hour. Then have 20 minutes of puzzles and go back to reading. But the story is great. And I was not able to put it down. This game has most uniquely told story that I ever seen. And after finishing the game my save is showing 42 hours. Definitely worth the money. Expand
  27. Nov 15, 2012
    A true triumph in gaming, an excellent sequel to the amazing 999, a great thought provoking story with true heartache if your actions cause a negative event. One of if not the best game on the vita.
  28. Dop
    Nov 13, 2012
    Im new to the series and its a fantastic game really, the only downside from me was the little choices to intereact with the other characters, putting that aside outstanding game 100000% recommended.
  29. Nov 7, 2012
    Incredible story, great characters, great puzzles with 2 levels of reading... well everything is fantastic in this game in fact.
    Ah, maybe not everything : I want Zero Escape 3. Now !
  30. Nov 7, 2012
    As a matter of fact these types of games are not very well known in West. Zero Escape is just simply awesome, It has a twisted and beautiful story which will drag you to the end till even u want to skip sleeping ! the puzzles are way too awesome. Characters n their personalities are very well written. a piece of true artwork. highly recommended to anyone who owns vita. I promise u will have an unforgettable journey ! Expand
  31. Nov 5, 2012
    OMG! This is a must get! like really!
  32. Nov 4, 2012
    This is the ultimate version of Virtue's Last Reward, if you like to play it on a bigger and better screen, go for this. It is a very good visual novel, this genre is often ignored in the West.
  33. Nov 3, 2012
    The puzzles and mini-games were a lot of fun and not impossibly hard. I haven't played a game with a plot this good since the first Bioshock. Loved how you could choose between Jap and Eng voice tracks. Only gripe is that the CG models look a bit strange at times (Clover) and some textures aren't too good. Can't wait for Volume 3!
  34. Oct 31, 2012
    This game is the bee's knees, truth be told. The puzzles (which most, if not all the gameplay revolves around) are solid, and very intuitive while still maintaining a difficulty that'll make you think more than most games. The story-line is also something to be praised, from the high-quality voice-acting to the astounding script and detailed personality of each character. Fans of the cult classic of 999, a surprise smash hit on Nintendo's DS a few years back should have no qualms about this game as it has everything 999 has done and then some and exceeds at it exceptionally. PSV and 3DS owners should look no further than this game for a truly marvelous handheld experience. Expand
  35. Oct 30, 2012
    After finishing the game, my mind has finally started settle down. The twists and turns the plot takes is wonderful. The game even takes the multiple timelines you create by picking ally or betray, or picking one door to go through over the other and wave it perfectly into the story in a way that makes complete sense. The puzzles are very hard but the sense of satisfaction you'll get once you solve them is wonderful. If you want a game where you can turn your brain off, go play some generic shooter. There are millions of them waiting for you. If you want something unique and utterly enrapturing, something that will grip you with its wonderful story and unforgettable cast. A game that will get you thinking about life even when the game is complete: Than turn that brain on,Put that gun and head set down and pop in one of the best games of this year. Expand
  36. Oct 30, 2012
    This is the best experience I've had on a mobile device in my lifetime. I bought my Vita to play turned based strategy games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, Jeanne D'Arc, as well as Little Big Planet and Super Crate Box.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward blew everything I've ever played and experienced in story telling out of the water. This is the first time I've found myself
    thinking about the game consistently outside playing the game, and really thinking about meanings and motifs. TO ANYONE WHO HAS A VITA OR 3DS. PLEASE BUY THIS GAME, YOU WILL BE SUPPORTING ONE OF THE LAST TRULY CREATIVE GAME DEVELOPERS, AND YOUR LIFE WILL BE ENRICHED AS A RESULT OF PLAYING THIS GAME. Expand
  37. Oct 25, 2012
    Fantastic experience! Lord knows the Vita needs more games like this, and I'm just thankful we got this one :) It was compelling, engaging, and had a great plot. What more could you want?
  38. Oct 25, 2012
    Finally Vita is getting some fantastic titles. Playing Zero Escape is like reading a thriller/mystery book which is 1) fully voice acted, 2) has various mini-games, 3) has great plot. Puzzles alone would make a decent stand-alone game.
  39. Oct 25, 2012
    The game was really good, the Story was great! but the puzzles are the reason why I got this, I recommend anyone who likes puzzle games and a good story to get this
  40. Apr 18, 2013

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward comes with a good plot and many surprise twists, in a storyline influenced by our choices that will lead to 24 different endings. With puzzles that will be a challenge for any player, and belonging to a not-too-common genre, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward will constitute a unique experience.
  2. Mar 13, 2013
    Virtue's Last Reward delivers a great amount of fun. With improved gameplay mechanics and +30h of lifespan, you won't find anything better than Chunsoft's last effort.
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    An amazing storyline for an excellent visual novel that will keep you in suspense for hours.