• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Oct 2, 1997
9.5

1. Dec 10, 2012
    ZzzZZzzZz *Oh, another CoD, thanks is pass* ZzzzzzZZzzzz *Oh what we got here ? MoH Warfighter* ZZzzzzzZZZ Oh, Another CoD Game ? ZzZZzzzZ *Opens old PS1 Book, what have we got here ? Castlevania Symphonie of the Night... Pops the Game in... BAM! ............ It blows you away and shows you even to this Date what a real "Magical" Game does .. It is EPIC and holds up better then the Rest of the Sh** that gets shi* out nowadays!!!! Pick it up! Expand
  2. Jun 12, 2011
    The very best Castlevania, and my favorite Playstation title. The music and gameplay are like crack to gamers.
  3. Dec 9, 2011
    Great game, one of my all time favorites. In 2011 there's really not much to say about this game that hasn't already been said. If you like 2D exploration, you will love this game.
  4. Apr 10, 2012
    This game is the best game of all times. PERIOD. There's nothing else to say.
  5. Mar 7, 2013
    SotN was the best Castlevania in that time. Don't get me wrong, but i think AoS has the better Story and OoE has the better gameplay, but i won't go deeper. SotN let's you play the son of Dracula who wants to stop his own father from taking revenge for his mother. Well the story is nothing important, but it's cool to play the son of Dracula, who can use alot of weapons and spells, instead of those 1-weapon-only-Belmonts, isn't it? The RPG feature made this game what it is: the very best PS1 game. You also have some really nice and dark atmosphere in that game. The sound is also very good mixing up some old Castlevania soundtracks and adding a few new, which really fit for this game. I recommend this game for everyone who likes 2D Sidescroller games, Metroid and Castlevania games. Expand
  6. Jul 27, 2013
    Hoaky voice acting aside, what lies in this PS1 title (Calling it PSX always sounded stupid to me...) is one of my favorite, and in my opinion, best games ever made.

When the console generation of the PS1 and N64 surfaced, it seemed that everyone was utilizing the new technology known as Polygons, so they focused more on the new 3D, where as, Castlevania, made a game with the newfound
    technology but with pixels, so it looks like a Super Nintendo game on steroids, a look the compliments the game very well.

I must applaud the developers for their achievement in in-game architecture with Dracula's Castle this time around, it looks beautiful. Not only that but it flows so nicely with this game's sublime platforming, exploring this monstrous place is wonderful and exciting. The atmosphere is very heavy and engrossing, and its one of the few games I can truly call 'immersive'. It's RPG elements fit in perfectly, not taking precedent on the flow of the game and the traditional placement of enemies or grinding, but weaving all of its mechanics together like this is crazy, especially considering this was the first of its kind. The music and sound design is God-tier, spoting many classical tunes that add to the thick atmosphere of this gothic horror setting. Buy the game on Xbox 360 or any Playstation device, it is COMPLETELY worth it.
  7. Mar 17, 2014
    A classic. Although not quite as good as Super Metroid this game is one of the best 2D games there are. It evolved the Metroidvania formula and added always welcome RPG elements. Carries on the atmosphere and exploration of the classic Metroidvania games. Definitely worth it.
  8. Dec 9, 2013
    one of my favourite games. I love the cheesy voice acting, exploring the castle to find the fun to use upgrades and transformations, the inverted castle and how hard it is, being able to play as richter, the great sprite art and the atmospheric music
  9. Aug 16, 2011
    This game is complete! Great graphics, great soundtrack, great history, great gameplay. The best Castlevania ever!!
  10. May 12, 2011
    Even better than Super Metroid, yeah, it's that good, no hand holding, no checkpoints every two minutes, just good old fashioned action goodness! One of the best games ever.
  11. May 24, 2011
    A Castlevania game that revolutionised the series. This is the first Castlevania to be made in a metroid style, i.e. one huge castle to explore with certain areas only becoming available once a certain skill or item are achieved. Symphony of the Night is a really solid addition to the series, though there are a few issues, which is why I am not giving it a perfect score. I would give it 9.5 if that was possible though. First the good bits. Alucard as playable character, and if I am not mistaken, the first time the player gets to use more than 1 weapon throughout the entire Castlevania game. There are tonnes of various weapons and armor to find in the game, which makes it fun to explore. The dialogue is although cheesy is very memorable. Seriously, the first lines of the game are almost definitely engraved in every veteran Castlevania fan's mind, and not just the first lines. The areas are very beautiful, well designed and polished. The background music is pretty great too, with tunes having a somewhat classic and gothic feel. Enemies and bosses are unique and interesting. In addition all the little bits, like Alucard's capes actually changing colour depending on one you equip, is just awesome and shows that a lot of effort was put into the game. Now the few minor drawbacks in my opinion are mostly to do with control of the character. It seems as though Alucard moves and especially jumps in slow motion. At times when you need to backtrack or get somewhere through an entire stage it can get really annoying. In addition to that, every time you get hit (even if it's a weak enemy that does 1 pt of dmg) Alucard sort of freezes in places for a second. In rooms where you're surrounded by enemies that is a nightmare. Nevertheless Symphony of the Night is epic and atmospheric, and I think scales rather well with difficulty (apart from some bits, like boss battle against Death being too easy by the time you reach him). I still prefer Aria of Sorrow more in terms of gameplay, character control and soundtrack, but Symphony has better graphics. Expand
  12. Mar 24, 2014
    Castlevania: SoTN is the first castlevania to introduce a non-linear gameplay, but a RPG similar gameplay style with a lot of RPG elements and focusing on exploration and character levelling. Back in the time (1997) most of castlevania fans were confused because of the drastic gameplay change that SoTN has brought to the series, but it succeded to conquer new and even the purist old fans (With only few exceptions) of this amazing series thanks to it perfect formula. A lot of the classic elements of the older games can be found in SoTN which proves that even being a renewal of the series, SoTN remains a Castlevania game and not a Reboot like "Lords of Shadows" which seems to have nothing to do with the series. SoTN in longer than any other game in the series and the most complete. None of others castlevania games you will find such amount of weapons, items, armors (Even the post SoTN games which followed the SoTN RPG style formula/Gameplay) bosses, scenarios, dialogues, places to explore and etc.. When SoTN was launched a lot of reviewers called it "Metroidvania" Because it's gameplay style resemble a lot the metroid exploring gameplay, even the character movements and animations, some even called it a ripp-off, of the Metroid series. Well, we don't care if it is or it is not a Ripp-off (It is NOT!) the fact is that SoTN kicks ass! It is undoubtely the best Castlevania ever (Universally acclaimed by Official critics, not only my personal opinion) the is a lot of things to do, a lot of items to find, special bosses to beat, secret areas to discover.. Everything! It has the best protagonist of the castlevania series ever, Alucard! You play with Dracula's son in this game which is awesome. Like in Castlevania III Alucard can transform itself in another beasts, like the wolf, the bat or the mist, which are important to end the game. The graphics like the other games are 2D based, and they're not bad at all, the colors and scenarios are very beatifull. Nothing awesome, but it does not matter that much at all, we are talking about a castlevania/2D game. The musics and soundtracks are STUNNING! The first soundtrack when you play with richter belmont in the prologue (A very special surprise awaits you when you end the game for the first time..) gives you chills.. Some tracks are very epic, others are very deep and dark which combines perfectly with the game atmosphere. You will hear a lot of classical music in the game too, in other word, SoTN sound track is perfect, and not only perfect but even complete, the tracks do not sound all the same, they are sundry. Unlike the other series, in SoTN you will have a lot of RPG elements and attributes like Strenght, Armor, Intelligence and others. To beat the most powerfull bosses you will have to beat many enemies as you can and increase your statistics and character level, so it will be not wise to avoid enemies, in order to advance the game main story you will have to get stronger as you can. The game as two castles, the normal one and the inverted one, and it is up to you to discover how to get to the inverted one and unlock the good ending (SoTN has about three endings). All this things combined proves that SoTN is a very long game (probably the longer one). SoTN set new standards for the series, all the newer games were "SoTN" based, most of them very good titles but none reached SoTN perfection and epicness. After SoTN release the castlevania series has changed and it remains the best castlevania ever. Expand
  13. Nov 5, 2011
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is definitelyone of the best Playstation games. The music, the ambient and also the history and main character were amazing. The only weak point was the graphics, that weren't really up to day. But it wasn't a problem for me.
  14. Sep 10, 2012
    An amazing game. Sure, it doesn't hold up against more recent releases (Aria of Sorrow comes to mind), but the fun factor is indeed present. The Metroidvania formula is indeed the recipe for success. The music is so good, any person with a sense of hearing will appreciate it (proven fact). The graphics were good for its time, but on this day and age, don't look as good as they should. Overall, great game with a high replay value, high difficulty and memorable music. If you love games from the past and can overlook outdated graphics, you owe it to yourself to play this game. Expand
  15. Jun 1, 2012
    Ok so I was WAYYYYY late playing this game. I remember seeing it back when it first came out and for reasons unbeknownst to me, I never picked it up even though I had played previous Castlevania's. Even playing it over 10 years after it was originally released, this was a great game. It made me wish for another 2-D Castlevania game (not a big fan of Lords of Shadow.....although I tried). Although it would probably never happen, I would love an HD remake of this game. It also had a great soundtrack! Expand
  16. Oct 5, 2012
    I play this game at least once a year since it originally released. Though not a perfect game, there's just something about it that will never stop me from playing it again and again.
  17. Oct 18, 2012
    "Symphony of the Night" is one of the very best action games on the PS1. It's a 2D side-scroller that plays just like "Metroid" but within the "Castlevania" universe. The game begins with the final segment of "Castlevania: Bloodlines" (Sega Genesis) as a setup for its own story. Unlike previous entries, the protagonist isn't a member of the Belmont clan, but a son of Dracula named Alucard. Players can equip weapons, armor and special-powered amulets to defeat the unholy creatures of Dracula's castle. Like "Metroid", "Night" is an RPG/adventure game that is filled with hidden rooms and areas that can only be explored by using special equipment. Like any RPG, you level up as you defeat enemies, pick up loot and can buy or sell items and weapons. The musical soundtrack is ever bit as phenomenal as critics say it is. And the graphics are truly impressive for a PS1 title. This is a game that fans of "Castlevania" and RPGs will find plenty of enjoyment in. It has plenty of depth due to its expansive adventure and numerous endings. It's also the series' best entry. Expand
  18. Jul 4, 2013
    Epic, in all different levels. The only way to make this game better is by making an HD version, with HQ music and with new areas. It's perfection itself.
  19. Feb 7, 2014
    I remembered playing this game when I was 14... yes, 14... because my senior brothers played it again and again and I watched it again and again... never got bored. To tell the truth, I'm now 25 and still playing it again.
  20. Jun 4, 2014
    Probably the best Castlevania game ever made, but for me, it's the second, awesome graphics, the music is beautiful, this game is almost perfect, It deserves every one of the points, today is hard to find this incredibly awesome games, the gameplay is very confortable, one thing i don't like is his lack of clues, sometimes i don't know where to go next, the map does not help too much.
  21. Jun 2, 2014
    L'ho giocato solo di recente e ne sono rimasto entusiasta. E' un titolo bellissimo da giocare, vedere e sentire ancora oggi. Il miglior Metroidvania e il miglior Castlevania della serie insieme a Super Castlevania IV.
  22. Jul 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. MY SCORE: 9.3/10 (I round it in Metacritic)

A magical experience in the field of the 2D platforming games.
    The game has a good overall story, although the voice acting is kinda **** (and fun, which I judge good) but its shine is on the gameplay. And what a brightly shine.
    The game give you so much freedom and options that it's kinda impossible to get bored of it, and also, it's not easy, expect at least a good challenge. Tons of equipments and weapons and ways to "build" your character, awesome boss design and fights and having in mind that this game was made back in 1997 makes you think where the hell are other games like this. With its 2D art and no-less-than-outstanding soundtrack the is a piece of art itself, the developers really knew what they were doing back in those times. The soundtrack completely takes you into the mood of the place you are, like daunting songs that makes you wanna rush the place in fear or exciting songs that makes you wanna grab your sword and take the whole challenge.
    When I first played it, the game hit me two times with a hammer of amazingness. When you think that you're coming to an end (which in this game is very sad, it could last forever) the game gives you an outstanding new castle all for exploration, with new monsters and bosses, items, nice stuff and so on.
    But again, when you think the new castle is over and you cry as the credits roll on, you discover that creating a save game with another ~specific~ name for playing it again *cough*cough* changes EVERYTHING. How amazing can that be?

A piece of art. PLAY IT!
  23. Sep 14, 2014
    Um jogo que o obriga a jogar mais e mais a cada dela. Dificilmente existir√° um jogo com tanto apelo como este. Aqui os games em 2D conheceram seu suprassumo.

1. A certifiable classic. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. Not to be missed.
    With at least four known endings, Symphony's already astounding replay value is entirely phenomenal.