• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Oct 2, 1997
9.4

1. JonR.
    Feb 3, 2005
    One of the absolute best games ever in my opinion. One of the few games I've played through more than 5 times and I've been gaming since '84!
  2. JasonH.
    Jul 21, 2002
    If i could i would rate this a possible 3000 ----- 1-10.
  3. JoeG.
    Oct 20, 2003
    One of the best castlevanias ever! I feel that with this, people should play all three for gameboy. Alucard can't be topped. Hopefully the PS2 Castlevania Lament Of Innocence will be up to par with this one. SOTN is the best game ever.
  4. DogelopiM.
    May 13, 2003
    This game is one of Konami's greatest hits by far. Best Castelvania ever made. I say we kick out 3d and go back to 2d as Marco F. said!
  5. PeterG.
    Jun 26, 2003
    Castlevania SOTN is one of those games: easy to pick up, impossible to put down. This game has established itself in many peoples opinion as the best platformer of all time, it oozes quality and longevity. The graphics being although 2d have a feel all of their own!! Unmissable!!!!
  6. RavenW.
    Jul 26, 2004
    Best CastleVania game ever, best music, Alucard is the coolest character ever, its awesome!!
  7. SeanM.
    Feb 27, 2005
    Even though some of the newer GBA Castlevania games are very good, none have ever approached the mood, majesty, and brilliance of this incarnation of the classic series. This is without a doubt the most lovingly crafted and polished of all Castlevania games, and it is the best. It is in my top three console games ever. Masterpiece would not be too strong a word to use when referring to this game.
  8. ManuelM.
    Apr 28, 2005
    Bad ass.
  9. KingKnop
    Oct 19, 2002
    One of the best games ever made.
    Dec 10, 2002
    The best Castlevania ever and one of the greatest games of all time on any platform.
  11. AlyshaM.
    Oct 2, 2002
    On a scale from one to ten this game is an eleven.
  12. SimonB.
    Mar 9, 2002
    Best damn game ever for the PSX!!!
  13. AdrainH.
    May 26, 2002
    This is the best game ever!
  14. AdolfH.
    Aug 15, 2002
    Hell ya best game ever.
  15. FranF.
    Jan 9, 2003
    Best game ever made in the history of the industry! The ONLY thing bad I can say about the game is it ended! Definitely could be outlawed by the government for it's pure addiction. Never mind online gaming, play SotN!
  16. ThorntonG.
    Feb 15, 2003
    This is the best game I have ever played. I going on my seventh year of plaing it because I want to see if you can really turn into a DRAGON not just in stone.
  17. MarcoF.
    Feb 7, 2003
    Castlevania: Symphony of The Night proves that graphics arent everything in a video game. Still holding its original 2-D graphics, this game has to be , hands down , the best video game ever made. I only wish more games would be like it. Now that the new generation of video games are trying to push on perfecting 3D graphics , i say get rid of 3D , lets go back to the old school 2D Castlevania: Symphony of The Night proves that graphics arent everything in a video game. Still holding its original 2-D graphics, this game has to be , hands down , the best video game ever made. I only wish more games would be like it. Now that the new generation of video games are trying to push on perfecting 3D graphics , i say get rid of 3D , lets go back to the old school 2D graphics. Can't wait for Konami's next Castlevania series !! Expand
  18. Death
    Nov 19, 2004
    Play this game with all your life!!the best castlevania ever!!
  19. killer_ejv
    Jan 2, 2004
    BEST MUSIC!!!!!
  20. EetuS.
    Jan 22, 2004
    Great game with awesome music (by Michiru Yamane) and graphics.
  21. Bunny
    Jun 8, 2004
    Best Castlevania Game EVER Incredible Music. If you think it has a bad plot, you just dont play Castlevania much. The game Is really long because you have to do the entire castle twice except the socond time its all upside down and the monsters are much more difficult. Even though the final boss was too easy, theres alot more bosses that make up for that fact. I recommend anyone that Best Castlevania Game EVER Incredible Music. If you think it has a bad plot, you just dont play Castlevania much. The game Is really long because you have to do the entire castle twice except the socond time its all upside down and the monsters are much more difficult. Even though the final boss was too easy, theres alot more bosses that make up for that fact. I recommend anyone that wants to try a good game should get this! Expand
  22. AaronC.
    Oct 11, 2005
    Not only is it one of the best contructed and enjoyable games I've ever played, but it also has a soundtrack that will absolutely blow you away!
  23. Yomamma
    Mar 5, 2005
    F YEAH! castlevania SOTN is the most Kick ass game ever and the music rocks!
  24. BeccaV.
    Aug 9, 2005
    Castlevania: SotN is one of the best games I've ever played. I play it over and over again and never get sick of it. With alternate endings, ultimate weapons, and dares from my brother, it just gets more and more interesting as I play it. ^_^ Yeah. Totally kick ass. I dunno how someone could not love this game.
  25. RichterB.
    Dec 7, 2006
    This game was a break through when it was created not just because the soundtrack was incredible, the visuals were stunning, the variety of characters you could play with, the multitude of weapons and items, infinite combinations of the former and secret powers, but because it offered what a lot of games did not at the time and that was freedom of environment in a 2-D. Super metroid was This game was a break through when it was created not just because the soundtrack was incredible, the visuals were stunning, the variety of characters you could play with, the multitude of weapons and items, infinite combinations of the former and secret powers, but because it offered what a lot of games did not at the time and that was freedom of environment in a 2-D. Super metroid was one of the predecessors to this type of gameplay and it holds its crown for its ability on the Super NES. Castlevania was the definitive for PS because it took that powefully free and entertaining gameplay with a classic story and game to more depth and adventure than ever before. It was similar to Fable on X box or Lament on PS2 but it still out classes both with its sheer amount of charater and playable variability. If only we could have more games with such fun, simplicity and depth that keeps you asking for more. Collapse
  26. TitoH
    May 1, 2009
    The best side-scroller, the best Castlevania, the best PSOne game, and one of the best of all time.Beautiful graphics, unforgettable soundtrack, dozens of enemies, hundreds of itens and even cool bugs!Before this game i hated Castlevania, now it's easily one of my favorite series.
  27. RogerS.
    Dec 16, 2001
    Aside from the bad voice overs, this game is one that every true Castlevaina fan should own, than again... if you are a Castlevania fan you already know that! KONAMI, PLEASE RELEASE MORE OF THE JAPANESE ONLY TITLES HERE IN THE U.S!
  28. K
    Dec 7, 2002
    This is the best castlevania ever.
  29. JasonG.
    Aug 17, 2002
    Best action/RPG game for PS1 I ever played!
  30. Alucard
    Dec 16, 2003
    If I could I would rate this a 912390132098. It is an AMAZING game. Go get it now and play it if you haven't already.
  31. Fighter17
    Dec 25, 2004
    Who could hate this game?
  32. JoshB.
    Jan 18, 2005
    One of the best games ever in top 10 for sure.
  33. PedroD.
    Aug 22, 2005
    Many hours have been spent on this game and every couples years i break it out to play again.
  34. CodyK.
    Aug 27, 2005
    This game is easily the most fun I
  35. Samusaran43
    Oct 19, 2006
    Great Castlevania game. This is one of my most liked game in the series. I just bought it and started playing it even though I've played the newer ones. One thing I love about SOTN is it seems to be a combination of Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow, and Dawn of Sorrow all of which I loved. To me, this is the best game in the series. Sure the voice acting and Great Castlevania game. This is one of my most liked game in the series. I just bought it and started playing it even though I've played the newer ones. One thing I love about SOTN is it seems to be a combination of Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow, and Dawn of Sorrow all of which I loved. To me, this is the best game in the series. Sure the voice acting and storyline might need work, but those are small sacrifices of the sheer genus that Konami did when they made this game in 1997. I hope that they will make another one that surpasses this game, DOS comes close but almost passes. Expand
  36. Max
    May 31, 2009
    I would have given it a 100 if I could. This game is nothing less than a spiritual journey, almost holy and god like. Music was awesome, Gameplay was perfect which sets a new standard for all 2d games to come and the Graphics were exceptionally good specially for it being a Ps one game and being 2d at the same time.
  37. ChrisP.
    Nov 11, 2005
    I'll keep this short. Symphony of the Night was the best game on the Playstation. Hundreds of weapons to collect throughout the castle, along with some of the most enjoyable sidescrolling action since Super Metroid is why this game is lauded as being one of the best. Ever. Period.
  38. Dec 9, 2013
    one of my favourite games. I love the cheesy voice acting, exploring the castle to find the fun to use upgrades and transformations, the inverted castle and how hard it is, being able to play as richter, the great sprite art and the atmospheric music
  39. Aug 16, 2011
    This game is complete! Great graphics, great soundtrack, great history, great gameplay. The best Castlevania ever!!
  40. Jun 12, 2011
    The very best Castlevania, and my favorite Playstation title. The music and gameplay are like crack to gamers.
  41. Mar 24, 2014
    Castlevania: SoTN is the first castlevania to introduce a non-linear gameplay, but a RPG similar gameplay style with a lot of RPG elements and focusing on exploration and character levelling. Back in the time (1997) most of castlevania fans were confused because of the drastic gameplay change that SoTN has brought to the series, but it succeded to conquer new and even the purist old fansCastlevania: SoTN is the first castlevania to introduce a non-linear gameplay, but a RPG similar gameplay style with a lot of RPG elements and focusing on exploration and character levelling. Back in the time (1997) most of castlevania fans were confused because of the drastic gameplay change that SoTN has brought to the series, but it succeded to conquer new and even the purist old fans (With only few exceptions) of this amazing series thanks to it perfect formula. A lot of the classic elements of the older games can be found in SoTN which proves that even being a renewal of the series, SoTN remains a Castlevania game and not a Reboot like "Lords of Shadows" which seems to have nothing to do with the series. SoTN in longer than any other game in the series and the most complete. None of others castlevania games you will find such amount of weapons, items, armors (Even the post SoTN games which followed the SoTN RPG style formula/Gameplay) bosses, scenarios, dialogues, places to explore and etc.. When SoTN was launched a lot of reviewers called it "Metroidvania" Because it's gameplay style resemble a lot the metroid exploring gameplay, even the character movements and animations, some even called it a ripp-off, of the Metroid series. Well, we don't care if it is or it is not a Ripp-off (It is NOT!) the fact is that SoTN kicks ass! It is undoubtely the best Castlevania ever (Universally acclaimed by Official critics, not only my personal opinion) the is a lot of things to do, a lot of items to find, special bosses to beat, secret areas to discover.. Everything! It has the best protagonist of the castlevania series ever, Alucard! You play with Dracula's son in this game which is awesome. Like in Castlevania III Alucard can transform itself in another beasts, like the wolf, the bat or the mist, which are important to end the game. The graphics like the other games are 2D based, and they're not bad at all, the colors and scenarios are very beatifull. Nothing awesome, but it does not matter that much at all, we are talking about a castlevania/2D game. The musics and soundtracks are STUNNING! The first soundtrack when you play with richter belmont in the prologue (A very special surprise awaits you when you end the game for the first time..) gives you chills.. Some tracks are very epic, others are very deep and dark which combines perfectly with the game atmosphere. You will hear a lot of classical music in the game too, in other word, SoTN sound track is perfect, and not only perfect but even complete, the tracks do not sound all the same, they are sundry. Unlike the other series, in SoTN you will have a lot of RPG elements and attributes like Strenght, Armor, Intelligence and others. To beat the most powerfull bosses you will have to beat many enemies as you can and increase your statistics and character level, so it will be not wise to avoid enemies, in order to advance the game main story you will have to get stronger as you can. The game as two castles, the normal one and the inverted one, and it is up to you to discover how to get to the inverted one and unlock the good ending (SoTN has about three endings). All this things combined proves that SoTN is a very long game (probably the longer one). SoTN set new standards for the series, all the newer games were "SoTN" based, most of them very good titles but none reached SoTN perfection and epicness. After SoTN release the castlevania series has changed and it remains the best castlevania ever. Expand
  42. Nov 5, 2011
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is definitelyone of the best Playstation games. The music, the ambient and also the history and main character were amazing. The only weak point was the graphics, that weren't really up to day. But it wasn't a problem for me.
  43. Apr 10, 2012
    This game is the best game of all times. PERIOD. There's nothing else to say.
  44. Jun 1, 2012
    Ok so I was WAYYYYY late playing this game. I remember seeing it back when it first came out and for reasons unbeknownst to me, I never picked it up even though I had played previous Castlevania's. Even playing it over 10 years after it was originally released, this was a great game. It made me wish for another 2-D Castlevania game (not a big fan of Lords of Shadow.....although IOk so I was WAYYYYY late playing this game. I remember seeing it back when it first came out and for reasons unbeknownst to me, I never picked it up even though I had played previous Castlevania's. Even playing it over 10 years after it was originally released, this was a great game. It made me wish for another 2-D Castlevania game (not a big fan of Lords of Shadow.....although I tried). Although it would probably never happen, I would love an HD remake of this game. It also had a great soundtrack! Expand
  45. Mar 7, 2013
    SotN was the best Castlevania in that time. Don't get me wrong, but i think AoS has the better Story and OoE has the better gameplay, but i won't go deeper. SotN let's you play the son of Dracula who wants to stop his own father from taking revenge for his mother. Well the story is nothing important, but it's cool to play the son of Dracula, who can use alot of weapons and spells, insteadSotN was the best Castlevania in that time. Don't get me wrong, but i think AoS has the better Story and OoE has the better gameplay, but i won't go deeper. SotN let's you play the son of Dracula who wants to stop his own father from taking revenge for his mother. Well the story is nothing important, but it's cool to play the son of Dracula, who can use alot of weapons and spells, instead of those 1-weapon-only-Belmonts, isn't it? The RPG feature made this game what it is: the very best PS1 game. You also have some really nice and dark atmosphere in that game. The sound is also very good mixing up some old Castlevania soundtracks and adding a few new, which really fit for this game. I recommend this game for everyone who likes 2D Sidescroller games, Metroid and Castlevania games. Expand
  46. Dec 10, 2012
    ZzzZZzzZz *Oh, another CoD, thanks is pass* ZzzzzzZZzzzz *Oh what we got here ? MoH Warfighter* ZZzzzzzZZZ Oh, Another CoD Game ? ZzZZzzzZ *Opens old PS1 Book, what have we got here ? Castlevania Symphonie of the Night... Pops the Game in... BAM! ............ It blows you away and shows you even to this Date what a real "Magical" Game does .. It is EPIC and holds up better then the RestZzzZZzzZz *Oh, another CoD, thanks is pass* ZzzzzzZZzzzz *Oh what we got here ? MoH Warfighter* ZZzzzzzZZZ Oh, Another CoD Game ? ZzZZzzzZ *Opens old PS1 Book, what have we got here ? Castlevania Symphonie of the Night... Pops the Game in... BAM! ............ It blows you away and shows you even to this Date what a real "Magical" Game does .. It is EPIC and holds up better then the Rest of the Sh** that gets shi* out nowadays!!!! Pick it up! Expand
  47. Oct 5, 2012
    I play this game at least once a year since it originally released. Though not a perfect game, there's just something about it that will never stop me from playing it again and again.
  48. Jul 27, 2013
    Hoaky voice acting aside, what lies in this PS1 title (Calling it PSX always sounded stupid to me...) is one of my favorite, and in my opinion, best games ever made.

When the console generation of the PS1 and N64 surfaced, it seemed that everyone was utilizing the new technology known as Polygons, so they focused more on the new 3D, where as, Castlevania, made a game with the newfound technology but with pixels, so it looks like a Super Nintendo game on steroids, a look the compliments the game very well.

I must applaud the developers for their achievement in in-game architecture with Dracula's Castle this time around, it looks beautiful. Not only that but it flows so nicely with this game's sublime platforming, exploring this monstrous place is wonderful and exciting. The atmosphere is very heavy and engrossing, and its one of the few games I can truly call 'immersive'. It's RPG elements fit in perfectly, not taking precedent on the flow of the game and the traditional placement of enemies or grinding, but weaving all of its mechanics together like this is crazy, especially considering this was the first of its kind. The music and sound design is God-tier, spoting many classical tunes that add to the thick atmosphere of this gothic horror setting. Buy the game on Xbox 360 or any Playstation device, it is COMPLETELY worth it.
  49. Jul 4, 2013
    Epic, in all different levels. The only way to make this game better is by making an HD version, with HQ music and with new areas. It's perfection itself.
  50. Nov 23, 2014
    One of my favorites from ps1. Style, music, gameplay - they all perfect. Although there are some confusing moments in a game (like the one with rings in Clock tower) and bad voice acting it still a very VERY good game.
    Never finished for 200.6% though.
  51. Mar 17, 2014
    A classic. Although not quite as good as Super Metroid this game is one of the best 2D games there are. It evolved the Metroidvania formula and added always welcome RPG elements. Carries on the atmosphere and exploration of the classic Metroidvania games. Definitely worth it.
  52. Feb 7, 2014
    I remembered playing this game when I was 14... yes, 14... because my senior brothers played it again and again and I watched it again and again... never got bored. To tell the truth, I'm now 25 and still playing it again.
  53. Jun 2, 2014
    L'ho giocato solo di recente e ne sono rimasto entusiasta. E' un titolo bellissimo da giocare, vedere e sentire ancora oggi. Il miglior Metroidvania e il miglior Castlevania della serie insieme a Super Castlevania IV.
  54. Sep 14, 2014
    Um jogo que o obriga a jogar mais e mais a cada dela. Dificilmente existir√° um jogo com tanto apelo como este. Aqui os games em 2D conheceram seu suprassumo.
  55. Nov 15, 2014
    A Masterpiece!!! without doubts the best game on psx and created by konami
    I missed this kind of games in the new consoles, now the people just want stupids FPS
  56. Dec 6, 2014
    Whew.... Castlevania. before this game came out when I thought about Castlevania, I remembered all the frustrating jumping and whipping and the bursting blood vessels that the old games were notorious for. Then I played this game, my first impressions flew out of my foaming mouth when I found out you used swords. The more I played, the more hooked I got. The castle is huge, there's tons ofWhew.... Castlevania. before this game came out when I thought about Castlevania, I remembered all the frustrating jumping and whipping and the bursting blood vessels that the old games were notorious for. Then I played this game, my first impressions flew out of my foaming mouth when I found out you used swords. The more I played, the more hooked I got. The castle is huge, there's tons of secrets and so.... many... weapons, spells and destruction. This Castlevania was the first of all the newer style action-rpg castlevanias that have been hitting the market. Play this game if you haven't, you will not regret it. Expand
  57. Feb 22, 2015
    This game introduced to me classic metroidovania at its best. Great graphics, great animations, great everything. Addictive gameplay just holds on to you and releases only when you've finished the game. Simply brilliant. A masterpiece.
  58. Apr 3, 2015
    This game was the best game i've played on my entire life. The soundtrack is absolutely amazing, the customization, the amount of items, the bestiary, the bosses, everything in this game is fantastic. I recommend it to everyone!
  59. AdamRW
    Jun 20, 2007
    The gameplay is a benchmark for all (hopefully, possibly, someday, maybe not) future 2D sidescrolling adventure games. Much like Super Metroid, but quite innnovative none the less. 2D pixel gaming heaven.
  60. Dec 9, 2011
    Great game, one of my all time favorites. In 2011 there's really not much to say about this game that hasn't already been said. If you like 2D exploration, you will love this game.
  61. May 12, 2011
    Even better than Super Metroid, yeah, it's that good, no hand holding, no checkpoints every two minutes, just good old fashioned action goodness! One of the best games ever.
  62. May 24, 2011
    A Castlevania game that revolutionised the series. This is the first Castlevania to be made in a metroid style, i.e. one huge castle to explore with certain areas only becoming available once a certain skill or item are achieved. Symphony of the Night is a really solid addition to the series, though there are a few issues, which is why I am not giving it a perfect score. I would give itA Castlevania game that revolutionised the series. This is the first Castlevania to be made in a metroid style, i.e. one huge castle to explore with certain areas only becoming available once a certain skill or item are achieved. Symphony of the Night is a really solid addition to the series, though there are a few issues, which is why I am not giving it a perfect score. I would give it 9.5 if that was possible though. First the good bits. Alucard as playable character, and if I am not mistaken, the first time the player gets to use more than 1 weapon throughout the entire Castlevania game. There are tonnes of various weapons and armor to find in the game, which makes it fun to explore. The dialogue is although cheesy is very memorable. Seriously, the first lines of the game are almost definitely engraved in every veteran Castlevania fan's mind, and not just the first lines. The areas are very beautiful, well designed and polished. The background music is pretty great too, with tunes having a somewhat classic and gothic feel. Enemies and bosses are unique and interesting. In addition all the little bits, like Alucard's capes actually changing colour depending on one you equip, is just awesome and shows that a lot of effort was put into the game. Now the few minor drawbacks in my opinion are mostly to do with control of the character. It seems as though Alucard moves and especially jumps in slow motion. At times when you need to backtrack or get somewhere through an entire stage it can get really annoying. In addition to that, every time you get hit (even if it's a weak enemy that does 1 pt of dmg) Alucard sort of freezes in places for a second. In rooms where you're surrounded by enemies that is a nightmare. Nevertheless Symphony of the Night is epic and atmospheric, and I think scales rather well with difficulty (apart from some bits, like boss battle against Death being too easy by the time you reach him). I still prefer Aria of Sorrow more in terms of gameplay, character control and soundtrack, but Symphony has better graphics. Expand
  63. Sep 10, 2012
    An amazing game. Sure, it doesn't hold up against more recent releases (Aria of Sorrow comes to mind), but the fun factor is indeed present. The Metroidvania formula is indeed the recipe for success. The music is so good, any person with a sense of hearing will appreciate it (proven fact). The graphics were good for its time, but on this day and age, don't look as good as they should.An amazing game. Sure, it doesn't hold up against more recent releases (Aria of Sorrow comes to mind), but the fun factor is indeed present. The Metroidvania formula is indeed the recipe for success. The music is so good, any person with a sense of hearing will appreciate it (proven fact). The graphics were good for its time, but on this day and age, don't look as good as they should. Overall, great game with a high replay value, high difficulty and memorable music. If you love games from the past and can overlook outdated graphics, you owe it to yourself to play this game. Expand
  64. Oct 18, 2012
    "Symphony of the Night" is one of the very best action games on the PS1. It's a 2D side-scroller that plays just like "Metroid" but within the "Castlevania" universe. The game begins with the final segment of "Castlevania: Bloodlines" (Sega Genesis) as a setup for its own story. Unlike previous entries, the protagonist isn't a member of the Belmont clan, but a son of Dracula named Alucard."Symphony of the Night" is one of the very best action games on the PS1. It's a 2D side-scroller that plays just like "Metroid" but within the "Castlevania" universe. The game begins with the final segment of "Castlevania: Bloodlines" (Sega Genesis) as a setup for its own story. Unlike previous entries, the protagonist isn't a member of the Belmont clan, but a son of Dracula named Alucard. Players can equip weapons, armor and special-powered amulets to defeat the unholy creatures of Dracula's castle. Like "Metroid", "Night" is an RPG/adventure game that is filled with hidden rooms and areas that can only be explored by using special equipment. Like any RPG, you level up as you defeat enemies, pick up loot and can buy or sell items and weapons. The musical soundtrack is ever bit as phenomenal as critics say it is. And the graphics are truly impressive for a PS1 title. This is a game that fans of "Castlevania" and RPGs will find plenty of enjoyment in. It has plenty of depth due to its expansive adventure and numerous endings. It's also the series' best entry. Expand
  65. Mar 7, 2015
    Aren''t you a Castlavania fan yet? Well, try this game and you will be!

Aren''t you a Castlavania fan yet? Well, try this game and you will be!

I heard about thing game many times and I gave it a chance. The game blows my mind! Metroid style Castlevania game (usually referred to as Metroidvania) with RPG elements, magic spells, great graphics for its time, excellent soundtrack and amazing voice acting... well actually, ridiculous voice acting which is memorable too.

It's a lengthy game with many secrets, a huge castle, amazing boss fights, good difficulty curve, fun exploration, cool abilities. And if you get bored by the main character of the game (you won't, I promise, Alucard is badass!), you can play as Richter Belmont too which will make the game similar to the classic Castlevania games without RPG elements and good old horizontally whipping evil creatures butt

You may spend 10+ hours into this game... even 20. A simply amazing game that's nothing like modern games thankfully.

Recommended to buy? No question about it, worth all pennies.
  66. May 4, 2015
    Absolutely brilliant game and definitely lives up to the original games. In fact it does them proud and I'm pretty happy to acknowledge that, being a fan of the series since NES times. Only probably is it costs a fortune, at least here in the UK for the PAL version. So lucky I'd held onto it since my PS1 years.
  67. Jun 4, 2014
    Probably the best Castlevania game ever made, but for me, it's the second, awesome graphics, the music is beautiful, this game is almost perfect, It deserves every one of the points, today is hard to find this incredibly awesome games, the gameplay is very confortable, one thing i don't like is his lack of clues, sometimes i don't know where to go next, the map does not help too much.
  68. Oct 25, 2014
    A good game with a good ambiance but not a castlevania. In fact, I don't consider metroidvania as TRUE castlevania mainly because they are too similar to Metroid and especially super metroid. Symphony of the night is in my opinion a sub-super metroid, but it is still very good insofar as it is a very good exploration game with excellent music. However, it is not a masterpiece just a veryA good game with a good ambiance but not a castlevania. In fact, I don't consider metroidvania as TRUE castlevania mainly because they are too similar to Metroid and especially super metroid. Symphony of the night is in my opinion a sub-super metroid, but it is still very good insofar as it is a very good exploration game with excellent music. However, it is not a masterpiece just a very good game. A few irritating flaws are also noted, such as the fact that we have no frame of invincibility, enemies that pushes you outside the screen is annoying at times, but the worst is the selection of items in the inventory that is really the WORST in all the games I played. Finally, good game but should not be considered as a castlevania, moreover the more manga style of the game is the proof, we are far from a Gothic style to Castlevania 4. Expand
  69. Jul 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. MY SCORE: 9.3/10 (I round it in Metacritic)

A magical experience in the field of the 2D platforming games.
    The game has a good overall story, although the voice acting is kinda **** (and fun, which I judge good) but its shine is on the gameplay. And what a brightly shine.
    The game give you so much freedom and options that it's kinda impossible to get bored of it, and also, it's not easy, expect at least a good challenge. Tons of equipments and weapons and ways to "build" your character, awesome boss design and fights and having in mind that this game was made back in 1997 makes you think where the hell are other games like this. With its 2D art and no-less-than-outstanding soundtrack the is a piece of art itself, the developers really knew what they were doing back in those times. The soundtrack completely takes you into the mood of the place you are, like daunting songs that makes you wanna rush the place in fear or exciting songs that makes you wanna grab your sword and take the whole challenge.
    When I first played it, the game hit me two times with a hammer of amazingness. When you think that you're coming to an end (which in this game is very sad, it could last forever) the game gives you an outstanding new castle all for exploration, with new monsters and bosses, items, nice stuff and so on.
    But again, when you think the new castle is over and you cry as the credits roll on, you discover that creating a save game with another ~specific~ name for playing it again *cough*cough* changes EVERYTHING. How amazing can that be?

A piece of art. PLAY IT!
  70. Oct 25, 2014
    Wow, if the ps1 was a 3D gaming platform im glad they released some 2D games because those are the only ones i still can play on that console, the 3d ones look ugly as hell.
    Making the next castlevania in 2D was the best choice for konami, and thanks to that (and ultra amazing gameplay) I can recommend this game for generations to come.
    The gameplay changed a lot since super castlevania
    The gameplay changed a lot since super castlevania IV on the snes, they took out the "short" stages and made it a single BIG stage and added lots of rpg elements, also took heavy inspiration from super metroid, both games are very similar but great in their own way.

Now you use Alucard the son of Dracula and thats also a improvement, he's the best character in a castlevania game, has something about him and the developers know thats why he keeps reappearing in their games. The soundtrack is one of the best as well. The game is lengthy with a secret that lets you go into a big world that can be missed if you dont do the right things.

100% recommended.
  71. Nov 23, 2013
    The first Metroidvania castlevania holds up surprising well. If you can swallow flutuating difficulty, and a really annoying death sequence, then you'll love the fast pace action that is Symphony of the Night.
  72. Mar 9, 2015
    It's quite a good and absorbing game, it pioneered the Metroidvania style for Castlevania and therefore paved the way for the masterpieces to come after it. I don't think this is a perfect game or a 10/10, but it's certainly an easy recommendation. Later games in the series like Portrait of Ruin and Aria of Sorrow were better than SOTN, but that doesn't make this any less of a must-play.

1. A certifiable classic. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. Not to be missed.
    With at least four known endings, Symphony's already astounding replay value is entirely phenomenal.