Darkstone PlayStation
7.9

1. Apr 21, 2013
    As always, I begin my reviews by explaining that I only provide a user review if I feel the critic reviews are not justified. I am in no way a professional, but the fact that I am here conveys my utter disappointment with some of these individuals who call themselves "professional critics", and have failed to provide a solid review to answer what is most important to gaming consumers: if this game worth your money.

Dark Stone is by far worth the $10 price tag it originally retailed for. Years past, the game has either increased or decreased in value, but not by much. The gameplay is similar to that of Diablo 1 & 2. If you enjoyed either of these games, you will appreciate Dark Stone.

The graphics are blocky and uninspired, but gets the job done. Either playing on a PS1, PS2, or even PS3 (with smoothing on), the graphics never distract from gameplay. The sounds are "B movie" quality, as in, you either laugh at, or take it as it is. The music is simplistic and fits the atmosphere well. The "village theme" is a full track with vocals and is quite nice.

The main draw is the gameplay. You are never lost and know exactly what you have to do. As you move around the multi-area overworld, you will find caves and dungeons that lead into mazes of multiple floors. Each floor is considered a "level", and you will soon learn the pacing of the game as you discover the next stage. As you explore, your map will be filled with areas you have visited, so for those of you who love dungeon crawling (aka, Diablo, Champions of Norrath, etc), you'll love searching every room of every floor of every dungeon of every overworld area. As your inventory begins to fill up, you can use scrolls/magic to open a portal which brings you back to the village, enabling you to trade/buy/sell/identify/upgrade equipment.

The most enjoyable aspect of the game are the rewards, like any Zelda game when you find a new item or heart piece. Dark Stone is filled with items, magical spells and skills hidden in every corner, and you never feel that going out of your way was a waste of time. Again, this game feels rewarding. As you complete your first multi-floored dungeon, you collect a crystal. You require 7 crystals in all. Go back to the overworld and visit the next area to help more NPCs. Sound familiar? This is a textbook RPG, and if that's what you're looking for, $10 is a great price for hours of enjoyment.
  2. Jul 12, 2014
    A below average dungeon crawler, think a poor man's Diablo.

Considering the game came out after the likes of Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, FF7/8/9, the graphics are lacklustre, which doesn't altogether bother me, but there was little to no plot to take my mind off this. I also remember having to push the contrast on my screen to maximum as the lighting effects were abysmal, I couldn't
    make anything out. The controls are poor, the camera is awful, load times were excessive, music (what music) and gameplay was just constantly press the hit button.

If you prefer hack and slash games with limited story, by all means give this a shot.
  3. Apr 21, 2013

1. With a price tag of $9.99, Take 2 has the best game released for the PS One in quite sometime. Even at a higher price this title could compete for fans who love fantasy, dungeon, gauntlet type play.
  2. Worth checking out simply for its quirky faux contemporary rock theme song.
    Anybody who liked "Diablo" or anything else in the realm of dungeon-hack RPGs should be able to get their pocket-change's worth out of it. Fans of traditional console RPGs are warned that they'll probably detest the presentation and near-lack of story, though.