Driver 2 PlayStation
7.5

1. May 6, 2011
    For adrenaline, fast, tense car chases and thrills, you can't go wrong with Driver 2 which is in my own opinion, the best Driver game in the series. The first Driver game was one of the first 3D driving games, where you could drive around in a city and complete various tasks for people and Driver 2 expands on its predecessor. In the graphical department, nothing much has changed and itFor adrenaline, fast, tense car chases and thrills, you can't go wrong with Driver 2 which is in my own opinion, the best Driver game in the series. The first Driver game was one of the first 3D driving games, where you could drive around in a city and complete various tasks for people and Driver 2 expands on its predecessor. In the graphical department, nothing much has changed and it seems as if Reflections (now Ubisoft Reflections) has really eked every ounce of power out of the PlayStation with this game. The cities Chicago, Havana, Las Vegas and Rio are all rendered nicely, are bigger than the cities found in Driver, there are now smooth right and left hand corners on the city roads unlike in the first Driver game (wow!) and the textures of the buildings and the roads look great if a little bit flat, the car models have slightly improved - they don't look like square shaped cereal boxes, a bit more curvy in comparison to the car models in Driver - and the sound design is pretty well done. The car engines sound powerful and authentic just like the previous game, the police sirens sound like, well police sirens, the music sounds funky and is sweet to listen too if a little bit repetitive (one of the music tracks sounds like a duck has provided the tune) and the voice acting is a lot better in this game than in Driver. The cut scenes that help drive what is a nice crafted single player storyline which by the way I found more interesting than the storyline in Driver, are presented superbly and I like the fact that when you leave the single player and then next time you come back to it, the game gives you a quick recap of what's happened so far in the story through a montage of the cut scenes you have seen so far. The complexity of the 3D cities and the CGI cut scenes has meant that this game has had to be put on to two discs. The game play is similar to the first Driver and throughout the course of the game, you will be in high speed chases with the police, avoiding oncoming traffic, chasing criminals down and trying to wreck them and tailing a suspect to a destination without being spotted. Like in the first Driver, you will need quick reactions and vehicle control to manoeuvre through the traffic, road blocks and drift around tight corners quickly. It's still an intense feeling in this game when you have a police car or enemy vehicle pursuing you and trying to ram you off the road. Driving around, doing various types of driving missions make up a pretty fun game play experience and can prove a challenge to the gamer. It all sounds similar but that's not a bad thing really as the controls are fluent and there something that you can do in this game that you can't do in Driver. A huge difference is that you can now get out of your car and this allows you to free roam on foot around the city. This is a welcome addition to the game play and opens up new possibilities while driving around the huge cities because if your car get too damaged and is about to go up in smoke, just get out and steal another one instead of being tethered to driving one car per story mission or free roaming session. This game play mechanic adds to the somewhat limited game play. Tanner can't kill mow down people with a machine gun however. May not seem like a surprise that you can do that today considering every sandbox game like the Grand Theft Auto series and has you getting out your car, going on a killing spree and then driving off in someone else's wheels. You got to remember though, Driver 2 was released in 2000, one year before Grand Theft Auto 3 was released, the first 3D Grand Theft Auto game, so this game gave Grand Theft Auto some further inspiration and was the first game to offer this revolutionary game play mechanic. The driving modes from the first game return such as Survival and take a ride mode and once again the Survival mode is hilarious; the aggressive police are again out to ram you vigorously. Take a ride mode is a little pointless to play unless you have some time to waste as there are only secrets and secret cars to look for in each of the cities or get involved in a police chase. There's not much to do in take a ride mode. There are a few problems I have found with this game, as with most games I review. The draw distance is pretty poor but I guess it is a price to pay for having four 3D huge free roaming cities running on the PlayStation hardware. The police A.I seems to have taken a dive into stupidity since Driver. Instead of trying to avoid the traffic that is between you and them, they'll just smash into traffic that is directly behind you. The game maybe challenging but it can get frustrating at times. Sometimes, you'll keep messing up like crash into traffic or unbreakable objects and you'll find yourself just trying again and again to beat a mission; it's all about trial and error. Despite these criticisms, Driver 2 is definitely the best in the series Expand
  2. Mar 21, 2014
    I thought this game was excellent. I haven't played the original, although I am going to buy it now. One of the few games that I would say has 'charm'. Recommended for those who want a fun urban driving game.
  3. Nov 10, 2012
    One of the best games on the Play Station!
  4. Mar 15, 2013
    Critics are just complaining about the ugly graphics and the terrible framerate and then give it like 5/10 over it, I don't care about the famerate, thing is the Ps2 came around the time when this was launched I don't understand why they didn't put it on Ps2, the graphics and mechanics would've been better and no horrible framerate but I don't want it on Ps2 because I rather the graphicsCritics are just complaining about the ugly graphics and the terrible framerate and then give it like 5/10 over it, I don't care about the famerate, thing is the Ps2 came around the time when this was launched I don't understand why they didn't put it on Ps2, the graphics and mechanics would've been better and no horrible framerate but I don't want it on Ps2 because I rather the graphics stay the same as the original Driver. This is one of the very good games I grew up with. The soundtrack is really good, you can exit your vehicle and highjack others but what really annoys me is that you get cops after you for getting a police vehicle and that there's no option to even turn of cops and they should've put more people driving across the streets. I used to have lots of fun with this game, vehicles are great, the places Chicago, Havana, Las Vegas and Rio I play on are good and the story is good. Maybe in terms of graphics, physics and bugs the original Driver is better, but in gameplay, missions and having fun around the city, Driver 2 is better and overall better than its predecessor. Expand

1. From the grindingly slow frame rate to the in-your-face pop-up to the time you spend racing through empty streets, the game misses on every count that matters. Don't even bother renting it.
  2. Nearly as enjoyable as the original. Despite all the frustration, I kept returning for more of the Wheelman's exciting life. Tanner is certainly "da man"!
  3. Everyone who liked the first game is going to love Driver 2- - the new types of missions, cities, and gameplay features, as well as a fantastic, original story, make Driver 2 a winner.