Driver 2 PlayStation

7.7

1. Apr 8, 2015
    Good for difficult cop chases and stuff, undercover was alright. It was great being able to get out of your car, don`t understand why you would get an automatic full felony when your in a police car
  2. Mar 21, 2014
    I thought this game was excellent. I haven't played the original, although I am going to buy it now. One of the few games that I would say has 'charm'. Recommended for those who want a fun urban driving game.
  3. Nov 10, 2012
    One of the best games on the Play Station!
  4. May 6, 2011
    For adrenaline, fast, tense car chases and thrills, you can't go wrong with Driver 2 which is in my own opinion, the best Driver game in the series. The first Driver game was one of the first 3D driving games, where you could drive around in a city and complete various tasks for people and Driver 2 expands on its predecessor. In the graphical department, nothing much has changed and itFor adrenaline, fast, tense car chases and thrills, you can't go wrong with Driver 2 which is in my own opinion, the best Driver game in the series. The first Driver game was one of the first 3D driving games, where you could drive around in a city and complete various tasks for people and Driver 2 expands on its predecessor. In the graphical department, nothing much has changed and it seems as if Reflections (now Ubisoft Reflections) has really eked every ounce of power out of the PlayStation with this game. The cities Chicago, Havana, Las Vegas and Rio are all rendered nicely, are bigger than the cities found in Driver, there are now smooth right and left hand corners on the city roads unlike in the first Driver game (wow!) and the textures of the buildings and the roads look great if a little bit flat, the car models have slightly improved - they don't look like square shaped cereal boxes, a bit more curvy in comparison to the car models in Driver - and the sound design is pretty well done. The car engines sound powerful and authentic just like the previous game, the police sirens sound like, well police sirens, the music sounds funky and is sweet to listen too if a little bit repetitive (one of the music tracks sounds like a duck has provided the tune) and the voice acting is a lot better in this game than in Driver. The cut scenes that help drive what is a nice crafted single player storyline which by the way I found more interesting than the storyline in Driver, are presented superbly and I like the fact that when you leave the single player and then next time you come back to it, the game gives you a quick recap of what's happened so far in the story through a montage of the cut scenes you have seen so far. The complexity of the 3D cities and the CGI cut scenes has meant that this game has had to be put on to two discs. The game play is similar to the first Driver and throughout the course of the game, you will be in high speed chases with the police, avoiding oncoming traffic, chasing criminals down and trying to wreck them and tailing a suspect to a destination without being spotted. Like in the first Driver, you will need quick reactions and vehicle control to manoeuvre through the traffic, road blocks and drift around tight corners quickly. It's still an intense feeling in this game when you have a police car or enemy vehicle pursuing you and trying to ram you off the road. Driving around, doing various types of driving missions make up a pretty fun game play experience and can prove a challenge to the gamer. It all sounds similar but that's not a bad thing really as the controls are fluent and there something that you can do in this game that you can't do in Driver. A huge difference is that you can now get out of your car and this allows you to free roam on foot around the city. This is a welcome addition to the game play and opens up new possibilities while driving around the huge cities because if your car get too damaged and is about to go up in smoke, just get out and steal another one instead of being tethered to driving one car per story mission or free roaming session. This game play mechanic adds to the somewhat limited game play. Tanner can't kill mow down people with a machine gun however. May not seem like a surprise that you can do that today considering every sandbox game like the Grand Theft Auto series and has you getting out your car, going on a killing spree and then driving off in someone else's wheels. You got to remember though, Driver 2 was released in 2000, one year before Grand Theft Auto 3 was released, the first 3D Grand Theft Auto game, so this game gave Grand Theft Auto some further inspiration and was the first game to offer this revolutionary game play mechanic. The driving modes from the first game return such as Survival and take a ride mode and once again the Survival mode is hilarious; the aggressive police are again out to ram you vigorously. Take a ride mode is a little pointless to play unless you have some time to waste as there are only secrets and secret cars to look for in each of the cities or get involved in a police chase. There's not much to do in take a ride mode. There are a few problems I have found with this game, as with most games I review. The draw distance is pretty poor but I guess it is a price to pay for having four 3D huge free roaming cities running on the PlayStation hardware. The police A.I seems to have taken a dive into stupidity since Driver. Instead of trying to avoid the traffic that is between you and them, they'll just smash into traffic that is directly behind you. The game maybe challenging but it can get frustrating at times. Sometimes, you'll keep messing up like crash into traffic or unbreakable objects and you'll find yourself just trying again and again to beat a mission; it's all about trial and error. Despite these criticisms, Driver 2 is definitely the best in the series Expand
  5. NealS.
    May 31, 2006
    I was a huge fan of the original Driver even though the missions began to get a little montonous, but Driver 2 seems to have bumped up the action in the wrong direction. Minor crashes make your car spin out as though side-swiped by a nuke! The driving game in Chicago or Havana is impossible - hence not as much fun - since a minor crash sends the car spinning while the lead car reaches I was a huge fan of the original Driver even though the missions began to get a little montonous, but Driver 2 seems to have bumped up the action in the wrong direction. Minor crashes make your car spin out as though side-swiped by a nuke! The driving game in Chicago or Havana is impossible - hence not as much fun - since a minor crash sends the car spinning while the lead car reaches what seems to be mach 5! It appears the programmers have tried to take the difficulty level up a notch, when what they really did was take the fun down one. Collapse
  6. Gamerforthemass
    Nov 15, 2004
    I am writing this at the time that driver 3 has hit the shops and proved to be a bigger hit although the series is big anyway ! The first game was great dispite now you know that the game has got better with the tech. we have in gamming . Driver2 has the adventage of getting out the car and walking around with a very skinny tanner which would like like he would not say boo to a goose ( I am writing this at the time that driver 3 has hit the shops and proved to be a bigger hit although the series is big anyway ! The first game was great dispite now you know that the game has got better with the tech. we have in gamming . Driver2 has the adventage of getting out the car and walking around with a very skinny tanner which would like like he would not say boo to a goose ( its a old saying ) now he has made a come back three years after the 2nd game and we are glad to wait for this game as so far i carn't fault it ..even the loading is short and you are met by great graphics in the menu and in the game and we are getting such a great game each time the new one comes out . We have altryed to drive a bus or a car in the correct way but we al have had that rush to just hit the x button or A i think for x-box even space bar for the pc game and just drive !!! - so be good be bad be tanner . Expand
  7. SimonB.
    Nov 2, 2004
    The van on chicago is very slow.
  8. JakeA.
    Jun 3, 2004
    This game is freakin' awesome!!!
  9. SeanB.
    Apr 21, 2004
    This game is crazy. u have to play it. its like gta 3 excep that you cant shoot any one dats wut i hate. but over all its crazy u(beeps) out there gota try it.
  10. HanonanD.
    Feb 7, 2004
    Crap graphics great story line. good game.
  11. ET
    Jan 20, 2004
    This game is tha best driving game since gta 3 and I don't (beep) what other people say.
  12. TurdW.
    Jul 5, 2003
    Best game ever!!!!!!!!
  13. Matt
    Jun 13, 2003
    This is my favorite car game for PS1 ever. It blows away the first and is like having GTA3 for Sony Playstation 1!
  14. DomanicP.
    Jun 2, 2003
    It's better than the first one.
  15. JonathanF.
    Mar 30, 2003
    The graphics are fab and even though I am stuck on only Mission 3 (where you chase the train) I always go for the Take a ride mode which I think is where the game shines the most. Maybe not as evil as GTA, but certainly up with the daddy.
  16. ThomasD.
    Mar 11, 2003
    The missions are very exciting and challenging. Good choice of cars and other modes of transport. I like the cities that you can go in. Unfortunately, the graphics aren't as good as some other games. Lets hope driver 3 is a bit better.
  17. DamonE.
    Mar 7, 2003
    This game is off the chain and its worth a ten because it keeps you on the edge of your seat everytime you play it.
  18. Brian
    Mar 4, 2003
    (It really gets me frustrated sometimes and the frames are slow other wise the missions are exciting. Its ok.)
  19. JamesBond
    Dec 28, 2002
    Well it's a fun game but the graphics suck. grand theft auto has much better graphics,but driver's just a fun game for friends to mess around with how much they can torment the police.
  20. AzizM.
    Dec 11, 2002
    Very very very exellent, good.
  21. MitchB.
    Nov 22, 2002
    Just sweet that's it just plain awesome.
  22. Mr.Black
    Nov 21, 2002
    Everything that the original has plus more, steal any car, curved road systems, highway systems, it's a shame it ever ended. Driver 3 will be incredible.
  23. PhoenixS.
    Nov 19, 2002
    While it has a lot more features than the original, and would be much better, there is one very small thing that almost succeeds in destroying it, and does place it several nutches below the original. They didn't include any way of turning the frickin' auto-handbrake off. And while it's possible to compensate for this, it's annoying as hell.
  24. B.TG.
    Oct 30, 2002
    This is a very fun game! I love it! Out of all my games, Driver 2 is at the top of my list. There are lots of fun mini games (one player and multiplayer) inculding cops and robbers (one player is a cop, the other is a getaway driver). I would recomend this game to anyone, unless you dont like haveing fun!! the critics dont know what they are talking about. This game is awesome!
  25. Amanda
    Oct 7, 2002
    This game is hard but fun and you never want to stop playing when you start. Try the game and have fun doing so.
  26. BelsantyQ.
    Sep 27, 2002
    It's alright.
  27. SuperS2Ball
    Aug 6, 2002
    Even though it is hard to find secret and police cars, it's still great! The undercover missions are sometimes hard but fun! play DRIVER 2!
  28. JayS.
    Jul 9, 2002
    The game does have horrible graphics but the missions are awesome. For the time frame that the game came out they are not too bad. It is best played with other people around you. Take turns. Rate eachother on the crashes. It becomes an awesome game to bring friends close and have fun. Analog sticks would help greatly. Everyone should try this game.
  29. ChristopherA.
    Jul 5, 2002
    The coolest driving game around! I give it an impresive 10/10!
    May 25, 2002
    Like a terrible version of GTA3. If you're a fan of the original driver, you should try it out, but you may be disappointed.
  31. Gods_Grl
    May 9, 2002
    The graphics are REALLY bad, but the game is awesome!
  32. Tiarnan
    Apr 30, 2002
    I give this a spanking 9/10.
  33. KarlD.
    Jan 4, 2002
    Not as bad as some critics say, because sometimes it is quite enjoyable. It is also difficult at times, the missions are cool. The graphics are horrible and the gameplay is quite good. For me, an above average game which fans of the original should not miss.

1. From the grindingly slow frame rate to the in-your-face pop-up to the time you spend racing through empty streets, the game misses on every count that matters. Don't even bother renting it.
  2. Nearly as enjoyable as the original. Despite all the frustration, I kept returning for more of the Wheelman's exciting life. Tanner is certainly "da man"!
  3. Everyone who liked the first game is going to love Driver 2- - the new types of missions, cities, and gameplay features, as well as a fantastic, original story, make Driver 2 a winner.