9.0

1. Mike
    Sep 21, 2005
    First off, i just want to say that those of you who gave this game a bad review are on crack, and you wouldnt know a good game if it kicked you in the junk. Lunar is a stellar game. and also, gamepro, what the hell kind of review was that, wow, i really liked you guys too, wow. indeed the graphics wernt the top, but thats kind of what they were going for in my opinion, its a classic style First off, i just want to say that those of you who gave this game a bad review are on crack, and you wouldnt know a good game if it kicked you in the junk. Lunar is a stellar game. and also, gamepro, what the hell kind of review was that, wow, i really liked you guys too, wow. indeed the graphics wernt the top, but thats kind of what they were going for in my opinion, its a classic style look and feel, the game is in depth enough to keep you playing, it keeps you involved, and well, if you bought or played the game, you should know what your picking up, i mean cmon, these people made a game, a "style" of game, and they style they were making is the style that was delivered, its is an excellent game, and rivals any RPG out there. Expand
  2. RebekahK.
    Sep 10, 2006
    The most awesome GAME!!! In the world and so is eternal blue I've searched everywhere to buy silver star story but I can't get it!!! DAMN!
  3. JoseB.
    Feb 14, 2006
    Yep, totally agree with you all, and thank you for giving this great title a 10! I, too, spent many years looking for it. It's amazing how you feel this classic through your blood... And yeah, gamepro!! WHAT THE HELL DID YOU... I played through it many times... and dont get tired at all... I still love to play it. I'd give it a 10!
  4. JustinP.
    Nov 22, 2006
    Pretty much the best game ever. I have played through the originals 10 times and have played SSSC 3 times. This game will never get old
  5. Sep 10, 2013
    I'm rating this in combination of both this game and the original game on the Sega CD since there is no Sega CD version available to be rated. First of all, make no mistake that LUNAR, is one of the greatest JRPGs of all time. Working Designs' translation goes a long way to ensure that. The quality of their writing is far FAR superior to other highly rated JRPG's of that time, and theI'm rating this in combination of both this game and the original game on the Sega CD since there is no Sega CD version available to be rated. First of all, make no mistake that LUNAR, is one of the greatest JRPGs of all time. Working Designs' translation goes a long way to ensure that. The quality of their writing is far FAR superior to other highly rated JRPG's of that time, and the competition doesn't even come close in all honesty. The gameplay and combat is pretty typical for it's time, but is superior to games like Final Fantasy 6 due to the strategic element of having distance that is actually traversed during battle, as well as your entire party in combat at all times. The music is also characteristically fantastic, due to the quality of the original Sega CDs capability. What really makes the game though, is the strength of the characters and their likability. Virtually everyone in the game has an amusing and memorable personality, and the villain is the greatest of all time.

It really is too bad that the original game came out for Sega CD because it had such a small base, but it could not have been done on another system at that time. By the time it was reworked for PSX, LUNAR was graphically dated and unfortunately never got the praise that it highly deserved as one of the best RPG's of all time.
  6. TemperanceB.
    Nov 1, 2005
    OMG The best Rpg ever. I spent five years looking for a copy of this game and it was well worth it. Good luck finding it.
  7. Mercedes
    Aug 18, 2005
    This game rocks i beat it twice and it still is the same cause it rocks.
  8. Christian
    Jan 2, 2006
    Don't listen to those who gave the game a poor rating because of the graphics. They have yet to realize that graphics mean nothing, espeically with a RPG as great as this. This ties with Chrono Trigger in the best RPG I have played, no FF will ever touch this or Lunar 2. If for some awful reason you think graphics are the most important, then don't pick this up, because it has Don't listen to those who gave the game a poor rating because of the graphics. They have yet to realize that graphics mean nothing, espeically with a RPG as great as this. This ties with Chrono Trigger in the best RPG I have played, no FF will ever touch this or Lunar 2. If for some awful reason you think graphics are the most important, then don't pick this up, because it has the same graphics that it did, when it came out for Sega CD. But if you really enjoy the 2d hand drawn artwork as much as I do (yes it looks better than Chrono Trigger), this game is well worth the price it is to get it. Expand
  9. MacM.
    Sep 14, 2004
    Simply one of the greatest rpgs ever. I would give it a 100 if i could go and play it.
  10. MikeA.
    Dec 22, 2005
    I agree with the other users 100%. One of the greatest RPGs I have ever played, better than Chrono Trigger, as awesome as Final Fantasy 3 (US version) and 7. If you're looking for a unforgettable playing experience, buy this title. So good I played through it three times.
  11. Apr 17, 2013
    Lunar is a 16 bit RPG classic that was originally made for the Sega-CD. The story and dialogue in this game are brilliantly hilarious at times. The presentation is top notch with anime cutscenes, great voice acting, better than SNES 2-D graphics, and Disgaea style emotion displays. The battle system is a bit slow due to enemies having to reposition themselves before every attack, but ILunar is a 16 bit RPG classic that was originally made for the Sega-CD. The story and dialogue in this game are brilliantly hilarious at times. The presentation is top notch with anime cutscenes, great voice acting, better than SNES 2-D graphics, and Disgaea style emotion displays. The battle system is a bit slow due to enemies having to reposition themselves before every attack, but I soon got used to it. Also the ability to program macros like in Phantasy Star IV does a lot to speed up the battles. There are no random encounters in this rpg. Instead there are enemies wandering dungeons that you must touch to begin a battle. This Sega-CD game was ahead of it's time in many ways, and the PSX version is the ultimate edition. If you see this in a used game shop pick it up for sure. **Normally this would get a 9/10, but I need to offset the two low reviews on this site that have zero explaination.** Expand
  12. Jun 21, 2015
    Grand epic story and truly memorable characters... Absolutely timeless !!!

Note to the little "emo" teeny-bopping A.D.D. weenie gamers in 2015 : THIS IS WHAT AN RPG IS !!! Never mind trying to bash the outdated graphics and sound; It's a port of a port and was originally released while all of you were still swimming in your fathers' balls.

1. With a tale as classic and expertly told as Lunar's, and packed in with enough goodies to make even the most stingy fanboy weak in the knees, Lunar: SSSC comes highly recommended for fans and newbies alike. [July 1999]
  2. A great refreshing change in pace from your other run of the mill rpgs. It truly is a classic one of the best I strongly urge anyone who doesn't mind less than stellar game play graphics to go out and find a copy.
    Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete is a classic for every reason good games become classics. It's a brilliant answer for those who insist that nothing will ever be as good as Final Fantasy. Unfortunately, it's also out of print and exceptionally rare, so you'll end up paying top dollar for it. But hey, the way I see it, Lunar's rarity is just another finger pointing at its greatness. If you're lucky enough to find it, buy it then and there and I guarantee you won't want to part with it either.