Metal Gear Solid

• Release Date: Oct 21, 1998
  • Also On: PC
9.4

1. Sep 24, 2015
    This was an extremely popular game when it was first released, I have just played it through for the first time 17 years after it's release. The graphics are obviously dated now and can get a little bit pixelated but it doesn't stop the good gameplay. The story itself can be hard to follow and understand all the characters, so I recommend googling the story to properly understand and enjoyThis was an extremely popular game when it was first released, I have just played it through for the first time 17 years after it's release. The graphics are obviously dated now and can get a little bit pixelated but it doesn't stop the good gameplay. The story itself can be hard to follow and understand all the characters, so I recommend googling the story to properly understand and enjoy it. It was a 10 out of 10 game back then, I make it a 7 out of 10 now. Expand
  2. Jan 6, 2014
    I played through this game for the first time a few days ago, I had to catch up with the story, as I bought the Metal Gear HD Collection for Vita.
    The first time you play this game, there is this like "aura" thing that only the good games have. You know you are playing a good game, and you wanna see more. The fact that you're pretty much thrown out in the game without knowing much about the commands is pretty exciting too, and you'll die several times in the first area, without frustration. Yet.
    The first let's say two hours of the game are really cool. You're learning how to go with the horrible commands and it's actually pretty satisfying to be stealthy with such bad controls, the music is very nice, the scenario a priori classic but efficient so far... And then comes the first punch in the throat.
    After two hours of great rythm, the game tells you to go through the whole map again to pick an item in one of the very first rooms. Utch, cringe. And a big one. But still, you do it, because hey, the game was really good so far and you wanna see what's next. Once you did that, it's all cool 'cause you can finally get back to the game and its story... Nope, just kidding Like an hour after the first trip, you gotta do it again, but this time, you explored even more of the map, so it takes even longer. And now, the is launched.
    The terrible sequences, made worse by the bad commands, keep going and going. Fights in elevators, keep-runnin'-and-shootin' in stairs sequence, not even-fun-to-beat bosses, re-used sequences,... You thought you were in for an Infiltration game How cute, it's just a shooter bro. A shooter with bad camera angles, outdated commands and overall very, very tedious gameplay.
    To try to keep it as short as possible, I would say that Metal Gear Solid is not a bad game, but is not the masterpiece some people would like it to be because of nostalgia and how stupid they were when they first played it back in the 90's. The scenario is great and so is the story behind all characters, and that's pretty much it. That's what keeps you going through all the tediousness of the rest of the game, 'cause boy is it tedious.
    I couldn't bring myself to score this game a 6/10, 'cause they say it's a classic, and the story was pretty damn good, so I'll give it a 7/10, +1 because it's an old game.
    You can try to go through Metal Gear Solid for two reasons one is nostalgia, second is to be able to understand everything that's going on in the sequels. But if you're just willing to play good old games because you like good old games, I would say there are way more games that deserves your attention. Everything that comes from the PS1 in 2013 feels not as good as it did in the 90's, in other words outdated.
  3. Jul 10, 2013
    The Good:Solid Snake,Otacon,Grey fox,ocelot,raven,liquid snake,Story,Gameplay.
    the bad:both ending,find a new path blablabla,meryl,graphics
    The Good:Solid Snake,Otacon,Grey fox,ocelot,raven,liquid snake,Story,Gameplay.
    the bad:both ending,find a new path blablabla,meryl,graphics

For me Both ending is crap and useless solid snake was not solid snake anymore find a new path and bblablablabla,Solid snake laughing is creepy lol,and its don't even connect to mgs2 story, If somebody gonna remake this game its need another new ending for this game.
  4. BenD.
    Jul 26, 2005
    While the story, characters, and cutscenes are outstanding, the dated graphics and most notably the clunky controls really hurt this game. Oh, and the Psycho Mantis battle is super cool.

#1 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 1998
#3 Most Shared PS1 Game of 1998

1. GMR Magazine
    A cinematic classic. [Feb 2003, p.97]
    It is literally full of those 'classic' moments that are all too rare these days. Whether it's the first time your footprints are discovered, the first time you perform a stealth kill, finding out the identity of the 'Ninja', solving the method of defeating Psycho Mantis, obtaining the camera and seeking out your first 'ghost'... there are so many classic memories.
  3. This game is full of surprises and you never know what is going to happen, and that is a very good thing.