• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 23, 2000
8.8

1. Jul 12, 2014
    Rarely does a third game come along and become the best in the series, but that is exactly what "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" manages to do. And the funny thing is this: the game sold almost 3.75 million copies (according to VGChartz) despite being released 3 days before the PlayStation 2 was released in America. Imagine how much more it would have sold early in the PlayStation's lifespan.
    Regardless of sales numbers, "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" is a fantastic game that, to me, still stands as one of the PlayStation's best games. Featuring plenty of expansive environments, plenty of minigames, gorgeous visuals that still hold up to this day, the same lovable characters from previous games to go along with plenty of new characters, great voice acting and plenty of polish to the gameplay, "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" is one of the PlayStation's finest titles ever. If you missed out on this masterpiece, go ahead and give it a shot. After all, it is available on the PlayStation Network, so go ahead and pick it up. I guarantee you'll have a blast!
  2. Jun 24, 2014
    I picked up my cousin's PS1 a while back and played this for the first time. And I have to admit it was pretty fun, colorful and immersive. When you first look at it, it seems like a quirky kid's game but still ramps up the challenge and can be really addicting to adventure around and keep unlocking secrets and challenges. Sure, it doesn't look very good but we'll give it a break for its age.
  3. Jun 17, 2014
    Loved charging around as a little purple dragon. Sure the graphics are from 14 years ago, and the story is basic, but it's just light fun searching for eggs and completing tasks. Nothing complicated or hardcore.
  4. May 22, 2014
    While this game never quite lives up to the original classic from 1998, it still manages to stand on it's own as a fun 3D platformer. It features different gameplay styles, hidden treasures, and much larger worlds.
  5. Apr 20, 2014
    I cant decide if I like this one or the second game better. the reason I love this game so much is that it is so unique and original in all the right ways. I love how every realm feels completely different and original compared to any of the others and how I thouroughly enjoyed exploring each and every one of them. a few of them may of had challenges that were kind of frustrating but for the most part I loved them all. the bosses were fun although very easy offering only a slight challenge and characters like hunter and that scumbag money bags are very memorable and have a special place in my heart. nothing bad to say about this game besides I didn't really like the other playable characters in the game that much and felt they were a bit unnecessary and am sad to hear that not a lot of people have played any of the spyro games, excluding all the games after this one of course, I just try to pretend they never happened. this game may be a Expand
  6. Mar 24, 2014
    The best Spyro game ever, and the last good Spyro game. Spyro and Crash Bandicoot used to be so cool and fun, while their modern games are soulless. Also in Skylanders or whatever, Spyro looks mentally and physically challenged.
  7. Mar 5, 2014
    The Spyro trilogy was my first set of games ever. I never got tired of playing these games. Spyro 3: Year of The Dragon was a awesome sequel to Spyro 2: Riptos Rage! So, practically, this game describes my childhood, along with many others. The game added many new features to keep it fun, but still not turn away from the other two original Spyro games. It is definitely worth your time and money to get this game! That is why I give this game a full 10/10. Expand
  8. Feb 15, 2014
    One of the better games on the PS1 all 3 of the Spyro games are great and are still great to this day, if anyone has not played these they should get them from the store or anywhere they can, it is well worth the money
  9. Feb 4, 2014
    If you're childhood was Spyro and Crash then your alike me, Spyro was more of my game though. Adventourus and cherishing, but Year Of The Dragon goes places the small purple dragon has never dared going. You will never bored with this game, never.
  10. Dec 25, 2013
    Bright, colorful, cartoony... this is a great fantasy world to explore. Responsive and solid gameplay with some new features. Spyro is still one of the best platformers along with crash on Playstation.
  11. Dec 20, 2013
    A game that amazed me as a kid and amazes me now. I have recently started playing it after about 10 years and it is bring back my passion for gaming!!
  12. Nov 12, 2013
    This is how my love for this tiny purple dragon originated when I was 6 years old when I first played this game. When I turned 9 I got 1 and 2 and took really good care of them 13 years later I still adore this version of Spyro, you can't find games like this anymore.
  13. Oct 13, 2013
    spyro year of the dragon is one of my favorite games for the ps1. the levels are all memorable, the musics great and the 5 playable characters none of which feel tacked on and the story is great. well its a not epic RPG story but a nice simple story that is easy to follow and perfect cut scene to game play ratio. meaning the they aren't too many cut scenes to bog the game down but enough to have a story that flows thru the game. lastly the graphics for its time the graphics where amazing, colorful worlds and nice to look at enemies and characters. to simply put spyro year of the dragon is a must buy for your gaming collection and hell buy the other 2 ps1 spyro games there pretty good to. Expand
  14. Oct 9, 2013
    Year of the Dragon is yet another fine entry into the Spyro franchise, and unfortunately the last game worth any praise. While there's a few tedious side missions and a few small qualms here and there, Year of the Dragon stands among the best platforming titles ever made, along with the two games before it. Final Score 8.9/10
  15. Aug 30, 2013
    This is literally among the best games i have ever played.

If you have a ps1/ps2/ps3/psp or ps vita, then you NEED to own this game.

And spyro 2

and even spyro 1.
  16. Aug 27, 2013
    I shall never forget this game, it brings such great childhood memories, and still is a great game, Year of The Dragon showed something different then the other 2 spyro games before this, well you weren't able to play as different characters and a whole lot of fun mini games. I suggest you play this or any other spyro game that was for ps1, purchase it off of the Ps store today!
  17. Aug 11, 2013
    This game sucks! CoD for life!

Ok, now that I have your attention, BEST ADVENTURE GAME EVER MADE!!!! (CoD sucks) Great graphics, fun gameplay, compelling story, need I go on?
  18. May 14, 2013
    Outstanding, amazing and enjoyable classic (although I prefer Ripto's Rage). One of the many games that should never be forgotton and should still be played in the future.
  19. Apr 22, 2013
    Having just got this gem of a game on the PSN. I have been missing out on a very good platformer. It has plenty of level diversity and a very good game. Playing this in 2013, it seems like a very good PS1 title. Clocked this 100%. Loved Gnasty's Loot as a bonus level.

Off to play Spyro 2.
  20. Mar 28, 2013
    The platformer was certainly a popular genre back in the PSone days and this first Spyro title was amongst the better efforts.
  21. Mar 22, 2013
    What great level design. The higher difficulty and incredible (for its time) graphics, infectious exploratory gameplay, and colorful visuals make it one of the greatest games on the PS1.
  22. Feb 2, 2013
    The little dragon that could gets his second sequel, which, unlike Ripto's Rage, a game that completely changed the physics and feel of the series, doesn't really spice anything up much. Spyro controls the same this time around. The thing changed the most from the previous games is the focus on Spyro, as there are FIVE other playable characters. Sheila the Kangaroo, Sgt. Byrd the... Penguin, Bentley the Yeti, Agent 9 the Monkey, and even Sparx himself is playable. While it's a nice change of pace, the characters feel like padding, and their levels are the least memorable of them all. Though it used to be my favorite as a kid, I have now seen the light and discovered Ripto's Rage! recently to be vastly superior. While it gets rid of annoying elements from 2, like the "soul essence" in favor of gems, and the double jump glitch, it's obviously Insomniac exhausted all of their ideas into the second, and while this is a VERY solid game with memorable levels, cut-scenes and characters, it's not even close to the greatness that is Ripto's Rage! Expand
  23. Jan 5, 2013
    Not as good as perfect Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer, but still a great sequel. I miss the cutscenes, when you enter the level or get out of level. Gameplay is still fun, even though it gets a little bit slower, when you are playing with other than Spyro. I also like music, story and levels. 10 out of 10.
  24. Nov 15, 2012
    This game is absolutely incredible. Spyro: Year of the Dragon has it all, especially when it was first released. Graphically, it maxes out the PS1. Musically, Stewart Copeland and additional producer Ryan Beveridge did a great job continuing with that Spyro-esque sound with the strummy chords and all that.

Gameplay wise, it excels. There's six (technically 7) playable characters in the
    game, and they are each very unique. I'll say this: Spyro STILL has the best swimming mechanic and any game, and Spyro the Dragon is probably the best controller platformer in existence. The engine is perfect.

The story wraps up the original series in an efficient way, I just wish there were more great Spyro games like the first three.
  25. Oct 7, 2012
    Spyro 3 it took everything good about the first two Spyros and perfectly put it into one great game with new added features. Amazing levels, smooth controls, great characters this is a game that you can't help but love. By far the best in the series you should really check it out
  26. Mar 30, 2012
    Superb platformer game, probably the best one on PSX along with Rayman 2: The Great Escape, Croc 2 and Crash Bandicoot games. Spyro can now gang up with 5 other animals/beasts (a monkey, a yeti, a kangaroo, a penguin and even Sparx!) to solve variety of masterfully designed levels and puzzles. The graphics were excellent for it's time, and the soundtrack, produced by Steve Copeland, is a timeless classic. It's a shame Insomniac have sold the rights to this title and focused on producing generic FPS games instead. Expand
  27. Mar 18, 2012
    this game is fun because there's egg you collect and you get then get new dragon which is cool then you can win more and get more dragons this game is cool
  28. Feb 22, 2012
    wow what a great game from my youth! I remember playing this for months on end! such an immersive world created and a great soundtrack to boot! easily my favourite ever ps one game!
  29. Aug 15, 2011
    Goofy graphic style don't seem to date even in this year, seriously thats fantastic. The levels are always a fun adventure that can't be miss. Insomniacs classic series went in a bang that left a nice footprint that can't be removed. I'm glad I played this.
  30. Jul 2, 2011
    Ah, yes. The last great Spyro game, and by far the best of the Spyro games. This game has it's share of defining moments from the fun as all hell flying mini-game (hell all mini-games were good), to ramming and burning Moneybags in order to get all of your gems from the bastard, to every boss battle, especially the ending fight, which is still among my favorite bosses ever. It has flaws, sure, but they are almost unnoticeable due to the greatness of this game. Expand
  31. Apr 30, 2011
    Year of the Dragon is arguably the best Spyro game to date. Pros: Fantastic graphics; rich, colorful visuals; charming characters; a surprising amount of depth in level design. Cons: The control and camera are often wonky.
  32. Mar 27, 2011
    Insomniac knew how to make Spyro a working game. The game has such a large amount of content and variety of gameplay that this Spyro game was Insomniac's way of going out with a bang. Sure, you have a strange camera to deal with and a glitch here and there, but this game is outstanding. It still entertains me to this day... 10 years after release. My PSone classic downloaded copy of this game has noticeble semi-common framerate drops. They do not kill the experience, but they are somewhat annoying. Expand
  33. Dec 2, 2010
    The early Spyro series by Insonmiac Games is probably the best platformer series ever made. Speaking of which, "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" is the best Spyro game. Still keeping its originality, "Year of the Dragon" still changes in some sorts. "Spyro: Ripto Rage" can be too quiet at times but not for this installment. There is a lot of action in this installment. Unlike the previous Spyro games, this game's storyline progresses from time to time, rather than staying stiff in certain sections. We have both old characters back and new characters appearing, as well as more entertaining levels with side missions. This game is very fun, a classic platformer and worth a play. Expand
  34. Nov 26, 2010
    My first ever video game was the original spyro the dragon for ps1 the whole series of spyro for ps1 is breathtaking this game especially its more than a masterpiece and longer and bigger than the first 2 (which where also amazing by the way) it will make you ply it until you've done everything and got more then 100% this game is a must have if you have a playstation and you're a fan of good platformers Expand
  35. Nov 19, 2010
    The only PS1 game better than this one is Spyro: Ripto's Rage. That's all. I am putting more words like this one to meeeeeet the minimum requuuiiirement of 150 charrractttersssss.
  36. Jan 5, 2013

1. Its true 3D exploratory gameplay, its vast and varied level designs, its colorful cast of characters, and its picture-perfect control create a fantastic atmosphere.
    A good, solid 3D platformer that won't disappoint fans of the purple dragon, but may leave fans of the genre feeling a little empty.
  3. More creative minigames, a slightly higher difficulty level, superb level design and some of the best realtime graphics the PlayStation has ever seen all make Year of the Dragon a winner.