Xenogears PlayStation
9.4

1. Jan 23, 2013
    This game has a lot of charm and I wanted to like this game, but dear god this game was so ridiculously long and slow, I couldn't finish it. Put a ton of hours into it though. Wasnt that fun either. It could have been a masterpiece if they condensed the plot.
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    What could have been a terrific game is all but ruined by the fact that it is unfinished in both presentation and execution. The story's premise has promise and is very intricate, but so poorly translated that it turns everything said into a joke, and as such, the poor translation is my biggest gripe. Virtually every other line is at best poorly written and awkward, with dialog that isWhat could have been a terrific game is all but ruined by the fact that it is unfinished in both presentation and execution. The story's premise has promise and is very intricate, but so poorly translated that it turns everything said into a joke, and as such, the poor translation is my biggest gripe. Virtually every other line is at best poorly written and awkward, with dialog that is strange and unnatural. This is very jarring especially in situations with certain characters that should sound intelligent or domineering, yet they just come across sounding like idiots or children. Now at worst, the grammar and punctuation is simply wrong, and this makes it apparent that the game is unfinished. Many times I actually had more fun laughing at the errors than reading the dialog. It's bad. On top of that, the plot is crammed full of elements that only serve to prolong the story unnecessarily, with many interactions being incredibly verbose, repeating things that have been said already and making characters seem stupid. That goes to the poor translation I suppose.

Speaking of unfinished. The game is unfinished. The entire second disk is entirely changed in presentation and told like a story rather than played, which is all well and good because if it were like the rest of the game, it would be another 40 hours and to be honest it was dragging on given the games other deficiencies.

What is good about it? I think that the game was ambitious, and had an interesting premise for a plot. The graphics are crisp and hold up even today. The music has several tracks that I really liked as well.

I recently replayed Xenogears in it's entirety because I didn't finish at a kid, however it unfortunately proved painful to get through. There are plenty of other games from that era and even earlier that are still terrific and I can definitely enjoy playing again and again, but this isn't one of them.

1. Has a very deep and engrossing (perhaps blasphemous, hence the furore) tale to tell.
    Xenogears is a must for any RPG lover, regardless of your views toward Squaresoft. With its depth and creativity, Xenogears is my choice for RPG of the year.
    With an intricate storyline, beautifully designed characters and mechs, and some of the most innovative features in an RPG, you simply can't afford to pass this game up.