• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Aug 21, 2007
8.2

1. Oct 28, 2014
    You may have noticed the words "Enemy phase" in some screenshots of this game. That is because there is no queue to be found, just your turn and the enemy's turn.
  2. Dec 18, 2013
    A very satisfying turn-based JRPG all-around. The game starts out very slow, but after a few stages both the story and the gameplay pick up. The characters are for the most part interesting, and you feel for the characters when something bad happens to them. The gameplay can get repetitive at times, but the number of characters, variety of skills and gear, and bonus stages keep theA very satisfying turn-based JRPG all-around. The game starts out very slow, but after a few stages both the story and the gameplay pick up. The characters are for the most part interesting, and you feel for the characters when something bad happens to them. The gameplay can get repetitive at times, but the number of characters, variety of skills and gear, and bonus stages keep the gameplay interesting. The only major weaknesses in the game are the relatively low replay value and the fact that some characters are a pain to use and level up. Expand
  3. Sep 6, 2013
    Jeanne d'Arc was a relatively early PSP release, and an interesting one too.

The story may have been borrowed from the past, but there's a cool fantasy twist on it, and the traditionally animated cutscenes are fun to watch. The gameplay is basically what you would see in classic tactical RPGs, but I have to emphasize how polished the mechanics are. The way each character's unique
    Jeanne d'Arc was a relatively early PSP release, and an interesting one too.

The gameplay is basically what you would see in classic tactical RPGs, but I have to emphasize how polished the mechanics are. The way each character's unique ability fits in with one another really adds to the strategy element. You just have to try this out for yourself. However, it is a little too "beginner friendly", as your team usually has the upper hand in most fights to carry you through the game. So, if you're looking for a punishing challenge, you should look somewhere else.

Presentation-wise, everything from the colourful visuals to the dramatic voice acting is very high quality.

It's a great piece of work, so I recommend picking this up if you're into a unique story driven tactical RPG game.
  4. Mar 30, 2013
    This is a great tactical RPG game. The main advantage is deep turn-based combat, where you need to use any of your troops and skills wisely, the battles have many nuances. The story is decent though of course it has little in common with real history. The characters are memorable, the dialogues are lame sometimes. The anime cutscenes are nice. Also the game has pretty graphics andThis is a great tactical RPG game. The main advantage is deep turn-based combat, where you need to use any of your troops and skills wisely, the battles have many nuances. The story is decent though of course it has little in common with real history. The characters are memorable, the dialogues are lame sometimes. The anime cutscenes are nice. Also the game has pretty graphics and addictive gameplay. Expand
  5. Nov 23, 2011
    Not impressed. The graphics are great for PSP, and I love me some turn-based RPGs. However, what's with the super-archaic turn structure? Super slow heavily-armored knights get to move just as many times as my super fast thief guy (with the exception of Jeanne's special ability, which will have her skipping all over the entire level, killing 4-5 guys in a single turn)? Spells and skillsNot impressed. The graphics are great for PSP, and I love me some turn-based RPGs. However, what's with the super-archaic turn structure? Super slow heavily-armored knights get to move just as many times as my super fast thief guy (with the exception of Jeanne's special ability, which will have her skipping all over the entire level, killing 4-5 guys in a single turn)? Spells and skills don't have to charge at all? Every single one of my units gets to move before every single one of their units does? Forgive me for making the comparison, but this is nowhere near the strategy level of Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics. It feels like a beginner's introduction into turn-based games (which never needed an introduction). The whole point of mixing which team moves when (one of mine goes, one of theirs goes, 2 of mine go, etc etc) is to give it a vaguely real-time feel. This game feels like the enemy stands there waiting for all my people to move and attack, until finally asking "is it my turn now?"

Production values are very high (liberties with the story aside), and you can tell it was well-thought out and executed, but given the cons I listed above and the stupidly arbitrary mission-success requirements (ie you have to "escape" your enemies by making it to one edge of the map, but you can still fail even if you kill them all), I will probably never end up playing it again.
  6. Jul 19, 2011
    The most awesome game on PSP, period.
    Don't believe those who say it's not as good as Final Fantasy Tactics, as it is in fact much better! But don't take my word for it...
    The most awesome game on PSP, period.

Quick question: What do God Of War, MGS, GTA, Final Fantasy, and all the other games that are rated higher than this one have in common? Answer: All of them are part of a franchise that was already massively successful, before a new episode was ported to the PSP.

As one of the few people who tried the PSP versions of the new franchise episodes with fresh eyes, from not having played almost any of the previous instances from these series on any other platform, I can't help but find that scores are massively biased. God Of War, GTA, FFVII, Persona 3? Meh. MGS? Will never come close as its first instalment on PS1. The only title from an existing franchise actually worth its place around the top on PSP is Ridge Racer. If critics were actually objective, all the others would be much lower rated.

But let's also compare with non franchise games: Lumines better than Jeanne D'Arc? Not a chance. The Lumines guys haven't spent 10% of the development time that went into Jeanne D'Arc, and, as addictive as the game may be to some, it shows.
    Siphon Filter: very good game, which deserves a lot of credit for managing to be highly playable despite Sony's idiotic lack of insight with regards to the second analog stick. But still a bit too predictable and not as polished.
    And then you get all the stuff like Patapon, LocoRoco, LittleBigPlanet, etc., that tries so hard that it actually gets into the way of the gameplay.

Sorry, but this game is miles above the rest, graphically, story-wise and in terms of playability and, what matters most, enjoyment for players. Truly of a class of its own!
  7. Jul 8, 2011
    Truly a sleeper hit I could easily have missed, if you enjoy tactical fantasy games this is a must play. The theme might seem off-putting but it is actually well handled from a fantasy perspective. From a historical perspective there are someserious liberties taken, but there is just enough true history to make this fairytale a great story and a lot of fun. Graphics and sound are quiteTruly a sleeper hit I could easily have missed, if you enjoy tactical fantasy games this is a must play. The theme might seem off-putting but it is actually well handled from a fantasy perspective. From a historical perspective there are someserious liberties taken, but there is just enough true history to make this fairytale a great story and a lot of fun. Graphics and sound are quite impressive to boot. Expand
  8. Nov 23, 2011

1. This looks more like a triple-A PS2 game than a PSP game, and it weighs in at 40-plus hours. [Aug 2007, p.70]
  2. By all means for you SRPG fans out there pick this game up! I can guarantee that you will not be disappointed! I myself have still yet to clear this game and it seems that there will be more than enough volume left to satisfy the casual to the hardcore gamers. This is one game that is worth its weight in gold. [JPN Import]
  3. There's just the right mix of story and gameplay, with a couple of cool twists thrown into both for good measure. [Sept 2007, p.69]