Monster Hunter Freedom PSP

• Release Date: May 23, 2006
8.6

1. RuairiS
    Aug 27, 2009
    This game is exciting and adventurous. It keeps you guessing with some hard monsters and some simple monsters SO i would say to anyone buy this game and buy freedom 2 and unite
  2. MarcE
    Nov 8, 2008
    A lots of other game can lern mutch from this game its realy the best!
  3. JohnL.
    Nov 24, 2006
    I was so eager to get this game, and when I first got it I was very happy with it, wow was I wrong to think that. First of all the game is extremely confusing. I had to read through the manual a couple times to understand a little about the game. I had no clue what to do. All the items are really confusing, and how to play is too. Your inventory is about 30 items too small. The weapon I was so eager to get this game, and when I first got it I was very happy with it, wow was I wrong to think that. First of all the game is extremely confusing. I had to read through the manual a couple times to understand a little about the game. I had no clue what to do. All the items are really confusing, and how to play is too. Your inventory is about 30 items too small. The weapon crafting has to be the worst part of the game, because I never knew where to find all the items to upgrade it. The controls are horrible. At first I thought the big sword would be cool to use, but I found out that it is impossible to hit anything with it so I traded it in for a couple of little knives. If you are hurt in the middle of the battle and you drink a potion it takes so long that you usually lose all of the life you just gained. The graphics are amazing for the PSP, but long load times are a result of them. The textures look great, the monsters are high poly model, and a lot of detail is put into the environments. Expand
  4. ArtursJ
    Jan 2, 2010
    Great game if you have the time to get used to it, honestly. It's not the type of game you just pick up and call great. You need to get used to the system, you need to get better at the game, because at first, it might seem near impossible, but later on it becomes a joyride. A beautiful game in its own way.
  5. ScottK.
    Aug 1, 2006
    A fun game for anyone looking for a challenge or a game that will take you a while to complete. You hunt large creatures to make more powerful armor and weapons. ANd you can play with up to three of your friends. The only downside is that it's slow at the begining.
  6. JoonJ.
    May 1, 2007
    This game is really fun (It is the best game I ever played) and it deserves to have a higher rating. 1.Action 2. Graphics It just fells like you are in the game.
  7. EdE.
    May 2, 2007
    best psp game ever played(almost) it is simple adictive, you cand spend around 4 or 5 hour playing without go boring, this game really put you in the game, graphics are beutiful, also sounds and music, there are a lot of posibilities in this game , been hunter, recolector,and you can create potions,weapons with objects that you find in your journey, im 100 sure of recomend it to best psp game ever played(almost) it is simple adictive, you cand spend around 4 or 5 hour playing without go boring, this game really put you in the game, graphics are beutiful, also sounds and music, there are a lot of posibilities in this game , been hunter, recolector,and you can create potions,weapons with objects that you find in your journey, im 100 sure of recomend it to anyone(anyone wich want to spend a lot of good time,, Expand
  8. MichaelT.
    May 30, 2007
    Great game, endless amounts of weapons and armours. Hundreds of gameplay hours. Skill based instead of level based, and there's always room for improvement. The game should have higher ratings - reviews are biased because either the reviewer is unskilled in the game or hasn't played enough. Example: "It takes so much time to unsheathe ... taking significant damage every time you Great game, endless amounts of weapons and armours. Hundreds of gameplay hours. Skill based instead of level based, and there's always room for improvement. The game should have higher ratings - reviews are biased because either the reviewer is unskilled in the game or hasn't played enough. Example: "It takes so much time to unsheathe ... taking significant damage every time you attack." The only reason for such comments is that they unsheathe and such at suicidal times. Online-play IS possible, with X-link. Expand
  9. BrandonD.
    May 24, 2006
    OMG this game is so amazing i had the original monster hunter for ps2 and the way the transferd over the controls is simply a master peice i was worried at first ill admit simply for the the lack of a second analog stick but they did a great job. The graphics are jaw droping and the gameplay is without a doubt the best to hit the psp it is a must have for every serious gamer thx capcom.
  10. JimH.
    Jul 25, 2006
    Its gameplay rules and the fighting is so fun to do the only bad thing is that there is no online play.
  11. uknownkid
    Aug 15, 2006
    The game is so good i cant stop playing it.
  12. NikM.
    Aug 24, 2006
    I seriosly have no clue whats wrong with this game, great graphics, fun fighting, and one of the highest replay value ive played ( only beaten by the elder scrolls series) i mean, its a fun game, its single flaw, somtimes items you need to find to make a impossibly difficult to get.
  13. Stupideye
    Aug 6, 2006
    This is the best psp game I've played. I haven't played online yet but offline is fun.
  14. ThomasL.
    Jan 13, 2007
    I have played the Game now 175 Hours, and there is no End in sight. I love this Game!
  15. AlexF.
    Oct 19, 2007
    Monster Hunter: Freedom is a very complex game, the graphics are pretty good and so is the game play. It is a very hard game that requires alot patience. Its quite a light-hearted game too, you will find that this game has very ammusing music and the characters are simply hillarious. Overall, a good game, but can get very frustrating.
  16. SevvyS.
    Apr 26, 2007
    The intimidating learning curve on this is a real pity, as it has some of the best replay value ever seen in a game. You really need to believe that you can easily put 100 hours into this game and still be just getting into it. It's a real pity that the critical first few hours feel like a real slog.
  17. DannyS.
    May 9, 2007
    Easily over 40 hours of interesting gameplay, this gam is definetly worth it. Even online play is not an option, the ad-hoc mode promises hours of hack'n'slash fun with your friends
  18. VV
    Dec 10, 2006
    I can't believe I almost don't get this game because of the low scores it has received, I've never played any of the Monster Hunters games but I think this is a wonderful and huge game for the PSP, something between Fable and Morrowind, so much to do... hunting, gathering, mining, fishing, combining, the "being a hunter" feeling is always present. The pace is slow wich I I can't believe I almost don't get this game because of the low scores it has received, I've never played any of the Monster Hunters games but I think this is a wonderful and huge game for the PSP, something between Fable and Morrowind, so much to do... hunting, gathering, mining, fishing, combining, the "being a hunter" feeling is always present. The pace is slow wich I like a lot. Graphics are really good, some of the best visuals on the PSP so far, wonderfull textures and animations. Some load times are a bit of a pain sometimes but you get used to it. Expand
  19. JL
    May 15, 2006
    Stunning graphics, scary, well-animated monsters, good AI and addictive character creation- all of which marred by incredibly sluggish gameplay and horiffic camera controls. The inclusion of a lock-on feature would have boosted this score to at least 7.

The ever-prevalent loading screens between the tiny map areas are the final nails in MHF's coffin- they serve to break up the action and ruin the tense atmosphere that the game strives to create.

MHF is a prime example of a worthy game ruined by easily-correctable cosmetic mistakes.
  20. DannyD.
    May 28, 2006
    I bought this game a couple of weeks back, and now 4 of my friends have gone out and bought PSP's just so they can play this game... Speaks for itself. It is quite difficult to begin with but stick it out and you won't be disappointed, especially if you can link with friends. There is a vast array of weapons, armour, items, and monsters all just begging to be discovered
  21. JoeP.
    Jul 13, 2006
    this is the most amazing game ever!! i just got this game like 3 days ago and it is amazing. while it has a lack of online play the graphics are great the gameplay is good to. it is soo awesome my brother is going to a buy a psp just to play the co op mode.
  22. DavidT.
    Sep 26, 2006
    This game is cool but it would be better if I could find a way to play online or find someone who have the game ps This game is awesome.
  23. MikeT.
    Mar 20, 2007
    The game is very easy to understand, ya its a hard game, killing the first wyvern takes many tries and is frustrating, but monster hunter wouldnt be fun if it were easy. you get a certain satisfaction from killing powful dragons, especially with other people.
  24. JozuaD.
    Aug 1, 2007
    Put it this way monster hunter freedom is the best game i have ever played i have spent over 300 hours probally more it is really fun so if u can go and get it MHF #1.
  25. AndrewM.
    Aug 16, 2007
    This game is breathtaking and is a wonder of how they fit a great game that you would think would be on a console due to the awesome graphics and addictive gameplay into a handheld that you can take anywhere, a truly awesome game.
  26. RickS.
    Jul 28, 2006
    this was the best psp game ive playd so far!
  27. JoeE.
    Aug 11, 2006
    Its hard to describe how amazing this game is. It's unlike any game i've ever played before (and ive played a shitload) its unique in it's approach to free form play and upgrades - when you want a peice of upgraded armor, your not sure why, but you'll play for hours and hours and sweat blood untill you get it lol. The only game i can compare it to is Fable for the PC. Its hard to describe how amazing this game is. It's unlike any game i've ever played before (and ive played a shitload) its unique in it's approach to free form play and upgrades - when you want a peice of upgraded armor, your not sure why, but you'll play for hours and hours and sweat blood untill you get it lol. The only game i can compare it to is Fable for the PC. If you buy one game for your PSP get this one I've played it for over 80 hours and i'm still nowhere near finishing it, its one downfall is it's probably one of the hardest games I've ever played and had me close to smashing my psp against a wall many, many times, but if you can resisit that urge then you'll get a hugely rewarding and origonal gaming gem. It's also great with three mates over ad-hoc as this makes it feel a lot more involving and slightly easier....which is nice. Expand
  28. JoeH.
    Sep 16, 2006
    Great game to play, have been off since got it.
  29. NickB.
    Mar 12, 2007
    I played and enjoyed this game for a while, but lacked the patience to delve too deeply. It has very nice graphics, modest camera issues, and nigh-endless customization/build options for your hunter as you progress through the various regions. My girlfriend probably played this game for over a hundred hours easily and was still only about half way through. Not for everyone.....but really I played and enjoyed this game for a while, but lacked the patience to delve too deeply. It has very nice graphics, modest camera issues, and nigh-endless customization/build options for your hunter as you progress through the various regions. My girlfriend probably played this game for over a hundred hours easily and was still only about half way through. Not for everyone.....but really worth checking out if you like this sort of game. Expand
  30. Jan 31, 2012
    Monster Hunter is one of the rare gems in gaming that only comes out once every so often. It's a shame that the series wasn't fully realized here in the West. This game delivers in spades for fans of collecting, upgrading, and epic beast slaying. This game is not a hack and slash at all and is debatable whether or not it is even an RPG since there are no base attributes to the character.Monster Hunter is one of the rare gems in gaming that only comes out once every so often. It's a shame that the series wasn't fully realized here in the West. This game delivers in spades for fans of collecting, upgrading, and epic beast slaying. This game is not a hack and slash at all and is debatable whether or not it is even an RPG since there are no base attributes to the character. Success and power are accumulated through materialism and violence. Collecting items from the world and beasts around you is how you ultimately craft new weapons and armor which similarly reflect the beasts that they are composed of. Of the 3 MH titles that are available to N. America, Freedom is the one that shows its age the most. Features taken for granted in other MH games like item combining from the convenience of your own chest is not available here. This game starts off a slower pace than the games to come later. I didn't have armor for the first five hours or so until I found monster that had the required materials, however, for hardcore gamers this is hardly a complaint. Working to earn every thing you obtain is part of the thrill of the MH series and this game is no exception. The farm, were you can grow and harvest your own crops, mushrooms, honey, ect. are all available. Multilplayer mode has just as much to offer and more if you can get together 1 - 3 friends. I can't say this is the best example of MH now but it was when it first arrived and for that it deserves a ten, though comparatively I would give it an 8 or so. If your looking for the best version of MH available in the U.S. look no further than Monster Hunter Tri on the Nintedo Wii. Expand

#7 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2006
#35 Most Shared PSP Game of 2006

1. PSM Magazine
    Alas, the ridiculous lengthy load times sap much of the fun, and the game only gets really interesting when you play with friends in ad hoc mode. [Jun 2006, p.87]
  2. Official U.S. Playstation Magazine
    The devil may indeed be in the details, but if you dive into Freedom with the mind-set of "knowing is half the battle," you'll be rewarded with a game that will provide you with--no lie--over 100 hours of truly compelling gameplay. [Jun 2006, p.100]
  3. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    Yeah, it controls fine and looks fantastic, but it suffers the same "been there, done that" feeling as other PS2-to-PSP ports, in this case with the added handicap of no online play. [Jun 2006, p.118]