Pangya Fantasy Golf PSP

6.8

1. jeffD
    Jun 26, 2009
    I bought my PSP for this game, and I am very... very, pleased. While the graphics take a bit of a hit from what I've grown accustomed to on PC and Wii, they still more than adequately get the job done, and everything else I've grown to love from this series is here in full force (well, I haven't seen Kooh's cannon, but I'm not gonna knock it for missing it). You I bought my PSP for this game, and I am very... very, pleased. While the graphics take a bit of a hit from what I've grown accustomed to on PC and Wii, they still more than adequately get the job done, and everything else I've grown to love from this series is here in full force (well, I haven't seen Kooh's cannon, but I'm not gonna knock it for missing it). You know, all in all, I'm happy with my investment. Although, come to think of it, I'm not safe anywhere now... If I'm on the computer, I'm drawn to Pangya PC... When the Internet's down, I'm drawn to Super Swing Golf on Wii... When the power's out or I'm out of the house, Pangya PSP is sure to follow... ... resistance is futile. Expand
  2. DustinB.
    Jun 26, 2009
    The game is 'cute', very JRPG-like in terms of characters and design and overall just has a fun feel to it. There may be only 18 characters (only 2 are unlocked in the beginning) but the amount of customizing you can do definitely makes up for it. Without counting each individual item and combination, I'd say it's on par customization wise with HSG:OT2. My problem with The game is 'cute', very JRPG-like in terms of characters and design and overall just has a fun feel to it. There may be only 18 characters (only 2 are unlocked in the beginning) but the amount of customizing you can do definitely makes up for it. Without counting each individual item and combination, I'd say it's on par customization wise with HSG:OT2. My problem with HSG:OT2 was the lack of mini-games...you had the 1 (one) mini-game and then regular stroke and tournament play. Other than that, you were unlocking characters. In Pangya: Fantasy Golf you're leveling your character up but it's much more varied. First, you get 'Pang' which is essentially money that can be used to buy upgrades (like more strenth) but these items are limited to the number of open slots your character has. The starting character only has 3 slots, and the items can only be used X amount of times. As for modes, I've currently spent the most time in the 'License' mode where there are a variety of different things to do. Hole-in-one = 10 tries to get a hole-in-one or else you fail. There is an Approach mini-game where points are awarded for whoever is the closest, best of 6 holes for that one. There's one mini-game where yo uplay 9 holes and have to earn 300 Pang, I'm sure this number will go up as I level my character. There are a few others, but I can't recall, safe to say there are at least 4-8 different mini-games in the License mode. There's still the story mode as well as tournament and network play, but unfortunately network play is ad-hoc, not infrastructure. Which leads me to my only cons so far... First and foremost, when you read the reviews, the load times are a bit on the longer side, notice how I said longer, not lengthy. Load times range from 5-10 seconds. No where near a deal breaker. The character details are also a bit on the bland side compared to HSG:OT2 but this is the first effort on the PSP to my knowledge for this game so I'll let that slide. The characters and terrain still look fine, but they could have used a bit more detail. My only semi-major concern is the putting. The putting is fine, it's just a but harder to see the slope of the green compared to other golf games but after a few holes you learn how to zoom in and move around to try and judge the slope/speed. Again, nothing deal breaking, and starting out the holes are bigger to help make up for this slight learning curve. Overall, I'm liking Pangya: Fantasy Golf A LOT. I honestly don't think I will be playing HSG:OT2 ever again. They only way I'll play HSG again is if it's on the PS3 or it's HSG:OT3. Pangya is really easy to pick up and play, the shot meter goes just a tick slower than HSG making the game more fun and less frustrating while still requiring some skill to make good shots. If you're a fan of Japanese art what-so-ever, and you like golf, I'm positive you will enjoy this game. *Note: I would have given this an 8.5 if the option was there. Collapse
  3. BaerF.
    Jun 29, 2009
    Excellent game gives you the fun of golf on the go, easy 3 click controls, with soft and easy to look at anime characters. Story seems pointless but they tried. Highly recommended for golf on the go without really getting too deep into the mechanics.
  4. Jan 30, 2015
    I love golf games, but this one is just awful. Hearing PANGYA every time you make a shot is really annoying. Story is sh*t and characters are nothing but disappoint. Gameplay is fine but after everybody's golf dosen't feel right. I was making shots accidentally while trying to skip animation and that pissed me off.
  5. Jul 7, 2014
    I find Pangya simply the best of them all other Gold games. First of all, the system of Pangya is easy-to-learn and neat. The animations are simply great, the dialogs between some characters are funny, especially those between Uncle Bob and Lolo. It could have been better if they updated the game... but it still rocks!

#22 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2009

Despite Pangya: Fantasy Golf's technical shortcomings, it's still really fun and has a lot of replay value. You could spend 15 to 20 hours playing through the Story mode alone, followed by tons of challenges to complete and tournaments to join.
  2. Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
    Pangya should provide golf fans (and RPG fans mildly interested in golf) dozens of hours of entertainment with its several modes, gentle learning curve, and unlockable content. [Aug 2009, p.73]
  3. Even though Pangya is not the most unique title gameplay-wise, it is still enjoyable.